Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
JustMarie
drama llama

I loved it!! Even though, Dan was too underwhelming sometimes (he was screaming too much when he was watching that lady door song where he didn't even appear...), the video in general was pretty funny.

Also during the week in march segment he said: "It was the hottest conspiracy since whatever video some other youtuber made about dan and phil that week", I immediately thought he through some shade to Shane Dawson as he released that video with that theory in the same week.

edit: Ayyy top of the page again
Last edited by JustMarie on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

Yeah, I'm not sure I'd recommend watching if you'd like a funny video, I think it's the kind of video to put on in the background while you switch tabs between it and Twitter/Tumblr/Reddit or whatever. I'm glad that this is apparently the last meme video he's doing, he seems to have run it into the ground and there doesn't seem to be many memes, rather just a recap of the year itself. I made some timestamps:
1. 12 I think the Wholesome Howell meme thing was genuinely a meme, but it was greatly complimented by the Lighthearted Lester meme also, I think Dan lost a little bit of the magic there
2. 20 if he was going to put in pastel Babadook, he should have also put in other Dan/Babadook memes
3. 04 lol random Suga (i wonder if dan likes him, they pretty much have the same persona)
4. 37 dan shading Shane is everything, "whatever conspiracy video of that week"
5. 56 I'm glad he's aware that the DanandPhilCrafts video was the peak of his videos from 2017
I like how he addresses the Reddit threads that drags youtubers, and how he's dragged for his phandom, Dan sweetie there's more than one thread and if it wasn't for the phandom then you wouldn't even be mentioned :)
[though lol my guilty pleasure is reading through youtuber rec threads and hoping someone would recommend one of them, rather than the same kind of channels over and over again]
9. 24 Dan, of course, framing moving out as something that hehad to do, and how he was in such pain, and how people were "mourning" the apartment. No, Dan. People wanted you to move. I think this is another instance of Dan remembering things negatively. He wanted to move out, of course, but the phandom weren't against it.
16. 30 I think he failed to mention how people were coming up with theories for the Bahamas mystery, like how he was actually in a room that was called the "Bahamas" or how he went to a cocktail bar(?) or something similar that gave out fake plane tickets
18.04 Dan, Phil didn't post this picture. And I may be wrong, but wasn't it determined that Bryony was the one who actually took this picture? Why is Phil the scapegoat?
18. 52 I'm glad that the depression video aspect didn't go as badly or as tastelessly as I initially thought it would, Dan addressed it well and did memes that were more wholesome or laughing with him rather than at him, so I'm glad he turned it around
22.04 When mentioning Truth Bombs and then Interactive Introverts, maybe Dan should have mentioned how both times these "surprises" were ruined by leaks. Also, I don't really appreciate the worked in spon, it wasn't really that smooth and just felt out of place. I think this is what is different from the very first video. In that, Dan actually brought up genuine phandom memes throughout that year and it was more engaging and casual like he was making the video as a form of appreciation. Now, this video (and the last) felt meaningless, he was using the opportunity just for basic content and to push out some kind of proof of audience participation he no longer makes any attempt for.
23. 30 Cursed Image
23. 40 Cursed Image 2
23. 54 The best part of the video, and it's mostly Phil. I know the lady door segment is divisive, but the actual edited video song someone made me laugh so hard, and was the only time I laughed for the whole video, I was near crying, I actually looked it up to watch after

Overall, Dan's humour of "woe is me" and "my fans are terrible" did rub me the wrong way, but yeah he's always been like that, I wonder if he'll have casuals bitching again that he's being bullied, at least he didn't fake cry. I didn't feel like he really made a meme video, rather a recap video. Anything that was truly a "meme" didn't make the cut. I think a true meme from last year, was their apartment layout and "that week in March" being house buying falling through. Otherwise, the rest was about Phil (I think I actually would like Phil memes video, not a series like Dan, but something just for the once-off.)

However, I did find he put a lot of work into video, and while I didn't feel like there was a lot of content, I think he did well from what he was given and he did his best, A for effort.
:cactus:
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

I'm the kind of person who likes longer videos so I was pretty hype to see that it was 30+ minutes. I thought the choice of setting was nice, along with the makeshift "fireplace". He seemed a little more exasperated at some points than necesario but honestly what else can you expect from Dan? (also I love how my phone autocorrected to Spanish so I'm keeping it, ¡olé!)

Just going to make quick note of the small things I liked :frantictyping: : including Anthony's pic as an example of the "cool people" he was imitating was cute (I'm glad he was mentioned, phanthony was an important part of this year.)

-way to call me out for "that week in march", I still feel bad for hyping it so much but I love mysteries so honestly, I couldn't help myself.

-I loved the little cut away where he destroyed his computer, incognito mode for life :spy:

-him mentioning why he likes depression memes; I relate so hard, I think joking about mental health is nice way of normalizing it and not getting too down about it, so long as it's done without malignity. I'm always gonna be proud that he opened up and became a YoungMinds ambassador :respekt2: :respekt2:

-I'm imagining the ever-unsatisfied Capital£ester forcing that truthbombs promo to increase revenue for the eventual ForeverHome^tm :foreverhome:

-where is the #vasegate mention? This was my only request and it has been unfulfilled :sadgarbage: (I mean if you mention lady door, a Phil-centric meme, why not include this one? Tragic.)

Overall I really liked this video, it definitely didn't adhere to memes so much as a general year review but that's fine. Honestly I'm a bit glad the series is done, I liked them all but I feel like it might get tedious if he keeps making them. Also, this is waaay premature but I'm excited to see if they do anything for April Fools this year? I'd die if they started a new channel for a new goof but who knows? :shrug:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
sparkle
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

after watching that whole video my one request is can Dan be more like this all year? I feel like we have a very similar sense of humour and honestly some parts of this had me nearly in tears. I love how he felt comfortable enough to joke about his mental health because I find that so fucking relatable and so funny.

Furthermore, I cant wait until his next video, which based on the time between this and his last one should be due just before easter!
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 am I enjoyed that video. My memory and sense of time are absolute shit, so for me there was a lot of "wait that happened last year???". Plus I didn't join this forum until halfway through the year and I'm not active in the phandom anywhere else so I had no idea about memes or edits or videos. The Pennywise video really cracked me up, I'd never seen that before :lol:

I can see how some people find this version of Dan really annoying, but personally, I really liked it. I really appreciate how he's not all "I love you guys! You're amazing! Love you forever uwu!" at us but basically just goes "all you fuckers had this coming and you knew it" :rofl: it's a different way of treating your audience and I, for one, love it <3
See, theoretically, I do like that? The parts that cracked me up involved some more genuine aspects of that; that week in March, for one. I also had hoped he'd mention his tweet during the Bahamas stuff where he basically said we needed to accept there are things we don't need to know. That feels honest.

But the over the top reaction to things like the pastel videos and wholesome howell and the donut photo, essentially any time something originated from Dan himself without fans dictating it and then Dan makes a big deal about how people react (when it's quite obvious that reaction was the full intent) annoys me. Not majorly, and it's something I fully expect, I just can't bring myself to find much entertainment in him acting exasperated by fan edits of things Dan 100% knew would be edited. It muddles down the actual organic ones to me. (Of which there were few this year for Dan and many for Phil.)

Less timestamps and more index of memes:

:52 - Wholesome Howell
1:42 - pastel personas
2:36 - curly hair
3:35 - That Week in March
4:37 - Shane Dawson shade?
4:59 - soft and neat
6:54 - fountain photo
7:21 - #freetheknee
8:08 - "me and Phil"
9:24 - moving out
10:47 - box edits meme
10:59 - rebranding
12:07 - d icon edit meme
12:20 - the meringues
13:41 - voting squat
15:03 - squatting edit meme
15:30 - Phil POV/Snowden gag
16:14 - Corbyn dm edit meme
16:30 - bahama drama
18:04 - the donut
18:53 - dan's depression
20:24 - Truth Bombs part
21:24 - that week in march redux
21:53 - Interactive Introverts
23:58 - lady door
28:08 - colin and the cake
30:18 - dishonorable mentions (dan screaming, his icon, him being a rat, 13 reasons why painting, teen magazines, falling off his chair)
31:00 - dan versions of existing memes
cutestdan
smol bean

I feel like Dan made it 30 minutes just because we said there were barley any memes haha
"you're next to me, in my life"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

i liked the video, but as lilabet said, it was definitely more of a reflection on the year itself. also i don't think it needed to be as long? i was shocked it was 30 mins, but then again as it was more of a year in review 30 mins worked as an appropriate time to go over it all (still choked over #vasegate tho :/)

i will say the bit where dan showed the second photo outtake from the TIIT promo pictures actually made me laugh pretty hard.

like a few others have said, main channel dan is also my least favourite dan, and i think that's because he's using a character that worked very well with his branding and the overall burst in his (and phil's) popularity from 2012-2014 that is disconnected from the growth he's had from that persona that we've seen in liveshows, with the development of the gaming channel and even on social media. while i do think that dan has strayed away from the typical dinof dan that we know from 2012-2014, he obviously hasn't changed the persona entirely as that would warrant an 'actual' rebrand focusing more on content rather than just a name change. i guess that because we've seen comfort levels grow and lines slightly blur in the past few years wherein dan (and phil) act less like their established characters, seeing dan revert backwards from what we're used to (and what we can assume to be more personable/a more realistic representation of dan as a person in the present day) on the gaming channel and in liveshows, it feels weird and unnatural—at least when speaking as dedicated fans. maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but that's basically what i'm seeing happening, especially since the past two years have really illustrated an immense amount of growth from both of them.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 am like a few others have said, main channel dan is also my least favourite dan, and i think that's because he's using a character that worked very well with his branding and the overall burst in his (and phil's) popularity from 2012-2014 that is disconnected from the growth he's had from that persona that we've seen in liveshows, with the development of the gaming channel and even on social media. while i do think that dan has strayed away from the typical dinof dan that we know from 2012-2014, he obviously hasn't changed the persona entirely as that would warrant an 'actual' rebrand focusing more on content rather than just a name change. i guess that because we've seen comfort levels grow and lines slightly blur in the past few years wherein dan (and phil) act less like their established characters, seeing dan revert backwards from what we're used to (and what we can assume to be more personable/a more realistic representation of dan as a person in the present day) on the gaming channel and in liveshows, it feels weird and unnatural—at least when speaking as dedicated fans. maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but that's basically what i'm seeing happening, especially since the past two years have really illustrated an immense amount of growth from both of them.
see, this is exactly how i feel. main channel dan just seems like he's acting the entire time and i hate that. i love REAL dan that we get on the gaming channel and live shows. it feels like theres a huge disconnect between the two. and to me it doesn't make sense. main channel dan just rubs me the wrong way and i feel like he's always explaining something to me it really almost feels like talking down to the audience at times. i'd like him a lot less if he was like this across all channels and platforms but it would make more sense to me from a branding perspective.

it seems like any time there's a script he goes into that mode but i'd love it if he could find a way to recite lines while still being himself. i'm hoping maybe we'll get more real dan on tour since it's not supposed to be as scripted? but i'm not getting my hopes up.
autumnhearth
senpai

Fireplace pixel mirror for the win! Was hoping for candles, but was prepared for a virtual fire, rip. I didn’t even look at the time until the end, but it certainly felt long. It started off with me just happy to see his face, but a good portion of that had me saying “yeah okay Dan”. Count me as someone who believes he truly has a wholesome side as well as a dark one, or that *gasp* he’s just a complex human whose personality needn’t be put in a box any more that his sexuality, except that his persona is an important aspect of his career and his sexuality is not... maybe. I don’t know.. And yeah I get annoyed with his tone at times during videos like these. Dizzy, obsessivelymoody and sugar explained it well for me.

It was a decent summary of 2017 (and hey it was nice to actually have been there for the whole time!) though some parts were definitely out of order. Also not important, but didn’t they try to tweet at Gordon Ramsey first but didn’t get noticed? I don’t know if I had a favorite part, maybe Me and Phil? (Did he actually lead in by saying that was something that was continuously on his mind this year? Someone take my goggles away.) Cheers for acknowledging he got the usage of Phil and I wrong too. Reluctant Truth Bombs spon was funny, but the tour spon was definitely sincere and well planned. I couldn’t help but notice how well his red on black text shirt and minimalistic background with pop of red fit in with his top notch graphic design. I didn’t completely hate the vid, but I think he would be wise to leave it at a trilogy.

Re: the donut pic, I don’t really care who took the actual shot that ended up on Instagram, people on Twitter assumed it was Phil, Dan corrected that assumption, then in a ls clarified that his friends were all trying to get different angles, but I think for the video it was just easier and dare I say “more on brand”? to say Phil. Odd that he said Phil “posted” it (I think those were his words) and then said he just had to post it. Confusing wording all around, I don’t feel like we actually learned anything, but it hardly matters :shrug:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 am like a few others have said, main channel dan is also my least favourite dan, and i think that's because he's using a character that worked very well with his branding and the overall burst in his (and phil's) popularity from 2012-2014 that is disconnected from the growth he's had from that persona that we've seen in liveshows, with the development of the gaming channel and even on social media. while i do think that dan has strayed away from the typical dinof dan that we know from 2012-2014, he obviously hasn't changed the persona entirely as that would warrant an 'actual' rebrand focusing more on content rather than just a name change. i guess that because we've seen comfort levels grow and lines slightly blur in the past few years wherein dan (and phil) act less like their established characters, seeing dan revert backwards from what we're used to (and what we can assume to be more personable/a more realistic representation of dan as a person in the present day) on the gaming channel and in liveshows, it feels weird and unnatural—at least when speaking as dedicated fans. maybe i'm talking out of my ass, but that's basically what i'm seeing happening, especially since the past two years have really illustrated an immense amount of growth from both of them.
I agree 100% but I wouldn't say that we get completely genuine Dan ever, we just get a little bit more of who Dan is. That is why I adore gaming livestreams - Dan and Phil are closer to who I imagine they are irl. I will be sad if his live shows diminish - I used to dislike live shows from Dan because my enjoyment was so dependent on his mood but now that he's in a better place I can enjoy them.
I also have noticed that when he's on AP he's a softer version of himself - less dinof and more like an AP version of Dan Howell - still a persona but one I like more.
malday
emo goose

I don't have any strong opinion on this video. He was less dramatic overall than last year's and it's an ok video to end the series on. He could just transition to doing a last year review video in it's place if he wishes.

Ewok wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 am I am severely disappointed there was no mention of #vasegate but at the same time my demon is fully invigorated knowing that Phil took the donut picture because of course he did. :roll: :love2:
What's the truth?! :illuminati:
Last edited by malday on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I liked the video, it was good to see him again, I miss them both terribly. But I will echo some of the voices here and say that the more time passes, the more I find main channel Dan less genuine than the other "versions" of him we get to see.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I know that sarcasm, dark humor (and by dark I mean pessimistic, not the kind of dark humor that some youtubers think is funny but it's actually horrible and gross), self-deprecation and such are definitely part of his actual personality in some way. However, as we know now from other sources, they are not quite as blown out of proportion as we see them on his main channel.

I think I will always compare to Daniel and Depression, where he seemed so genuine to me, and wish that we would see more of that Dan, who was - to me - a mix of sarcasm and hope, however corny that sounds. Or the Dan from gaming videos, happy and smiley, and not always just acting for the camera.

I support him in whatever direction he wishes to go in youtube wise, but I do know which Dan is my favorite, and the one we saw in this video is definitely not it. I feel like he's outgrown the persona he is using, there is so much more to him than that, and I love the glimpses of it that he shows us now and then.
Last edited by Ablissa on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

OML shame on me forgetting to mention this because I literally thought it was everything- that small mention he gave the adpocalyose was literally everything. Like sorry for posting twice so quickly but I NEEDED to mention how much life that gave me. I thought deppy would never mention it so I was shook that he brought it up as the "less fun" apocalypse he was dealing with (the other of course being his rebranding).

And while I'm here, let me just say...
malday wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:21 am
Ewok wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 am I am severely disappointed there was no mention of #vasegate but at the same time my demon is fully invigorated knowing that Phil took the donut picture because of course he did. :roll: :love2:
Why must men lie? lol what a mundane thing to twist the truth about, I can't- my trust issues are cropping up again, hELP

This has been a mild freak out, thanks for tuning in- please feel free to return to your regular scheduling now.
Last edited by whelpkeeper on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
cocolero
squish

I loved it because dark, salty D is best, most optimal D.

There is a less-edgelord side we see when he’s around Phil. That’s fine, too, but that’s what the PINOF series is for. Gaming Channel Dan is often too Phil-adjacent for my tastes.

Only scary thing is a reaffirmation that if Dan was without Phil, he’d be Onision. Plenty of that AU blond “most-truthful-Dan-evah” present here.

Not sure if he was shading Ancient Lady of the Internet Dawson, but sure as hell was referencing that conspiracy vid that came out the same week.

That is all don’t die.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed that video, I was engaged in what Dan was saying throughout the whole 30+ minutes and found myself genuinely laughing multiple times. I felt that Dan's bitter, hard-done-by, woe-is-me persona was actually more toned down than it was in the 2016 memes video, and while it was still there at times it wasn't enough to find grating. For the most part, I didn't find it difficult to watch the way I did with last year's video. I agree with others though who said that it was more of a general yearly recap than a memes video. I'd rate it 7.5/10.
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:57 am But the over the top reaction to things like the pastel videos and wholesome howell and the donut photo, essentially any time something originated from Dan himself without fans dictating it and then Dan makes a big deal about how people react (when it's quite obvious that reaction was the full intent) annoys me. Not majorly, and it's something I fully expect, I just can't bring myself to find much entertainment in him acting exasperated by fan edits of things Dan 100% knew would be edited. It muddles down the actual organic ones to me. (Of which there were few this year for Dan and many for Phil.)
This is the one thing that bothers me about the meme videos as well. I also felt that a lot of the 'memes' that arise from those things were actually not as big a deal as he made them out to be, and most people who made/shared them were being ironic/tongue-in-cheek at the time. Like the pastel personas and Wholesome Howell, for example - I doubt anyone actually believed this was evidence of a whole new Dan, people were just reacting to what he put out there and having fun with it. I do feel that he removed a lot of the 'memes' from their context and exaggerated them when really a lot of them were never that big or serious in the first place. It's not a huge deal to me, but like you it does take away from my enjoyment a bit.
cocolero wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:26 am Only scary thing is a reaffirmation that if Dan was without Phil, he’d be Onision. Plenty of that AU blond “most-truthful-Dan-evah” present here.
Hmmm I disagree with this. Onision is someone who comes across as genuinely mean and a shit-stirrer - I don't think Dan is the sort of person to involve himself in other people's drama or deliberately make other people uncomfortable or start shit with other youtubers etc, even without Phil. Dan is by no means a perfect angel, but I don't think he's on Onision's level of trash human being.
thesadassassin
dank meme

if someone has the time can they please make a thread of different pictures of their apartment (ik that makes no sense i dont know how to word it)
Ewok
rainbow nerd

whelpkeeper wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 am OML shame on me forgetting to mention this because I literally thought it was everything- that small mention he gave the adpocalyose was literally everything. Like sorry for posting twice so quickly but I NEEDED to mention how much life that gave me. I thought deppy would never mention it so I was shook that he brought it up as the "less fun" apocalypse he was dealing with (the other of course being his rebranding).

And while I'm here, let me just say...
malday wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:21 am
Why must men lie? lol what a mundane thing to twist the truth about, I can't- my trust issues are cropping up again, hELP

This has been a mild freak out, thanks for tuning in- please feel free to return to your regular scheduling now.
All men do is lie. [insert my longest deep sigh ever]

Reminds me of the many different lies about versions of the story of how they met. Lmao.

Can we make this the new big phandom conspiracy theory of 2018? Forget solving the mystery of their MC Escher ass house, I’m now fully invested in cracking the case of who took the damn donut picture?
:tinfoil: :rofl:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

About the DINOF persona/genuine Dan convo -- i completely agree with @sugar that a big reason he comes off so different in his main channel videos is that they literally are scripted. He actually plans out and writes what he's going to say (not word for word completely of course) as opposed to in liveshows/gaming videos are more of his actual reactions to things, so obviously he'd seem more genuine. I mean, the title of the video isn't "Dan REACTS to Dan memes", in reality it's Dan spent a week collecting, analyzing, and planning what he wanted to say about Dan memes. And we've always known Dan is very careful about anything he says in videos (and just in general) -- so when he's writing a main channel video its going to be a very edited version of Dan. It makes me sad that people are being so negative about his video when he put genuine effort into it.

Having said that, I think it would be cool to focus on a more positive side of this -- that since he does plan everything out, it means more that he includes some of the more personal things he did, because it was a conscious choice to share that with us. A couple of these kind of moments that stood out to me were when he was talking about people spamming D&P crafts comments all over youtube and he talks about "the anxiety and paranoia that [he] lives with contemplating [his] life as some kind of joke." As well as during the #freetheknee segment when he says he "genuinely has such low self esteem that moments like this keep [him] going for at least a month." Like, those both seem like he actually has thought those things, and by choosing to talk about them in the video he is choosing to show us more of the Real Dan. He said he was happy with the reaction to "Daniel and Depression" so I think he's purposefully trying to share more of those kinds of things.

I was going to actually talk about more of the video, but I ended up going on a huge rant about Dan being genuine (fun party game take a shot eveytime i said the word genuine in this post). So i'll just say I loved the vid, i've already rewatched and probably will again tonight. I was happy that it was half an hour, but then again i'd be happy with half an hour of Dan doing anything lol. The funniest part to me was the even-worse outtake from the Interactive Introverts photoshoot -- which i'm including below because I haven't seen that anyone else has posted it and it needs to be forever memorialized on this forum.

Edit: also forgot I wanted to talk about people not liking the way he's talking to/about his audience. I won't go on another rant cause I already had one, but guys, i'm just sayin', the phandom literally is lil shits who freak out over everything and make it a Big Deal. That must be hard for Dan, and if it seems like he's exaggerating our reactions as an audience, its probably because it's exaggerated in his own mind since it's, ya know, about him. I love the phandom as a community but we definitely have some bad tendencies that I'm sure annoy Dan.
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I need to be reminded not to read and listen to the things people say about the videos they make before I watch them! I went into it thinking he was acting like he has the worst fan base and had a attitude. When in fact I think he needs to act this way more often. A lot of the phandom are way to invasive and embarrassing. A lot of the things I see on twitter make me cringe even though most of them are just having fun and being harmless, knowing that dan and Phil are completely self aware of how their fan base acts makes me feel bad. If I were them I would not have that type of patients and I think they are bloody saints for what they have to put up with. It’s okay to speculate but there is a line that their viewers have crossed way to many times! I hope after the whole week in march thing turned out to be not what many thought, that we can learn and not over react on such public platforms. Because we are not initial to know anything about their personal life other than what they tell us. Anyway about the video I liked his sassy and snarky attitude and I do think that is part of his personality. I don’t think that’s a act at all. You can be a nice wholesome person but throw shade when needs be...which he did. Liveshow dan is my favourite dan but I once in a while I like this dan. I also liked it was a year review not just memes, that’s what I wanted and I didn’t mind how long it was.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:12 am
ironic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 pm 7 minutes in and I'm already so annoyed by how weirdly bitter and salty he seems
lol me, always me. Main channel video Dan is just my least favorite version of Dan.
Yeah, these were both my main takeaways from this video, which is unfortunate because it was a video that had a lot of work put into it and I feel bad dismissing it but I didn't laugh or even smile at most of this. I did chuckle at some of the phandom's good work of course, such as the lady door edit video by crunchytoast, but I definitely missed #vasegate, other Phil-centric memes and just generally Phil's presence. I'm glad he's making this the final instalment - as others have said, he's taking his channel in a seemingly more serious direction, so this video seems kinda out of place. Could Phil take over? :please:

Anyway, for me personally, it feels like Dan has shattered Wholesome 2017 with a big sour 2018 truth bomb (#spon). I didn't want to start out the year with so much salt but hey, that's his style I guess (as he keeps telling us) :roll:
cutestdan wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:58 am I feel like Dan made it 30 minutes just because we said there were barley any memes haha
This made me laugh - I think you're on to something :rofl:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 am About the DINOF persona/genuine Dan convo -- i completely agree with @sugar that a big reason he comes off so different in his main channel videos is that they literally are scripted. He actually plans out and writes what he's going to say (not word for word completely of course) as opposed to in liveshows/gaming videos are more of his actual reactions to things, so obviously he'd seem more genuine. I mean, the title of the video isn't "Dan REACTS to Dan memes", in reality it's Dan spent a week collecting, analyzing, and planning what he wanted to say about Dan memes. And we've always known Dan is very careful about anything he says in videos (and just in general) -- so when he's writing a main channel video its going to be a very edited version of Dan. It makes me sad that people are being so negative about his video when he put genuine effort into it.

Having said that, I think it would be cool to focus on a more positive side of this -- that since he does plan everything out, it means more that he includes some of the more personal things he did, because it was a conscious choice to share that with us. A couple of these kind of moments that stood out to me were when he was talking about people spamming D&P crafts comments all over youtube and he talks about "the anxiety and paranoia that [he] lives with contemplating [his] life as some kind of joke." As well as during the #freetheknee segment when he says he "genuinely has such low self esteem that moments like this keep [him] going for at least a month." Like, those both seem like he actually has thought those things, and by choosing to talk about them in the video he is choosing to show us more of the Real Dan. He said he was happy with the reaction to "Daniel and Depression" so I think he's purposefully trying to share more of those kinds of things.

Edit: also forgot I wanted to talk about people not liking the way he's talking to/about his audience. I won't go on another rant cause I already had one, but guys, i'm just sayin', the phandom literally is lil shits who freak out over everything and make it a Big Deal. That must be hard for Dan, and if it seems like he's exaggerating our reactions as an audience, its probably because it's exaggerated in his own mind since it's, ya know, about him. I love the phandom as a community but we definitely have some bad tendencies that I'm sure annoy Dan.
yesssss to all of this. not to beat the dead horse but i think it's really important that you and sugar pointed out the script thing because dan definitely comes across as a meticulous person so naturally having a full script makes the video come out as desired. and it's really, really hard, unless you're a trained actor with loads of experience (or some kind of wizard idk) to come off as completely genuine when you have everything you want to say thought out in front of you. however, i firmly believe that dan is a complete drama queen who is a-okay with exaggerating the hell out of things.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It's really interesting to read all of the different perspectives and I will be the first one to call Dan out when he's being too extra but I didn't get the vibe that he was being hard on his audience at all. I've taken issue with Dan in the past when I felt he was talking down to his audience and in this instance I really felt like he was just expressing an opinion, which he has done done before, that he doesn't like the phandom spamming comments or reading too much into his life. He's just asking for people to show common sense/courtesy so I'm going to give him a pass on that one.

With the acting/scripted thing - throwback to the bloopers video but it showed how scripted both Dan and Phil are. Watching the bloopers for main channel videos and you could literally see the moment deps dropped character so I don't think that Phil is any more genuine than Dan - he just has a softer character he plays and doesn't feel the need to stick to any one thing because nobody really knows who AP is.

Saying all of that - I'm really interested to see what dnp do with their persona's before tour. I want to know if it's going to be like 2016 where we had pre baking and post baking dan and phil or if they are just going to stay stagnant this year and keep doing what they have been until the tour is over.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I liked the video, but I'm kinda glad that he said it's the final in a trilogy and there probably won't be another. I agree with his logic - if you do something too many times it becomes a tradition and you kinda have to continue it. It did feel a little long but tbh I really like dinof vids so I wasn't really bothered. I did like that it was a recap of his year with some moments more serious than others, and I wouldn't mind if he did another sort of recap next year, just not memes-related.

I was surprised that Dan's family actually did manage to eat a slice of cake each. From his tweet he implied that Colin ate a truly disgusting (i.e. 3/4) amount of cake.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I liked the video because I'd watch Dan read the phone book and I think I liked it better than the previous meme ones, probably because it was less meme-y.

I also like how it brought posts from several people who are old-timers here but haven't posted much recently. Which maybe speaks to Dan's appeal: people still like to watch his videos, even if they are less engaged in the phandom.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
drearyquery
drama llama

Since it’s come up again with dan scripted vs not I thought I’d just say I’ve always found it interesting how some people think phil is more “genuine” while others think dan is. I feel like this comes down to (as others have mentioned) how dan’s main channel “persona” is more different from gaming channel than phil’s main channel is. This gives phil a more consistent persona that to a causal viewer feels more authentic. But when compared to live shows and what they share, to many others dan’s online presence feels less persona based. I’m one who feels like there are so many layers to phil that we haven’t seen.

disclaimer that I don’t think anything is wrong with “personas”- or that they’re being fake/deceiving. Just it’s obvious that someone will act differently in front of an audience and I find it interesting to discuss the differences