Dan & Phil Part 64: Poptropica 2: Dragon #SPON

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
malday
emo goose

captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 am Also, did he cut something out at around 53:42? It looks like there's a jump cut there, unless it's just the webcam glitching. I also noticed that the length went down from 1:01ish to 59:13, so I'm guessing he edited something out maybe. It doesn't look like the very beginning was edited, so :shrug:
He did cut the beginning, you can see the full thing on his tumblr.
I just checked, there is indeed a part missing from 53:42 :shrug: , it's at around 55:40 in the tumblr recording.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

What do you guys prefer for liveshows? YouNow vs YouTube? Pros and cons of each one? I'm mostly referring to Dan since Phil is still faithful to YouNow.

Personally I'm divided.
YouNow used to be my favorite because he just sat back, relaxed, and started waffling away. He uses his hands a lot to speak and like hit the table and move around in the chair (and fall of his chair that one time xD), so yeah I loved them. But the quality is just awful.

When he started livestreaming on YouTube I got skeptical at first because I thought it would be all over the place since he is holding his phone and he got too distracted with the filters and stuff to actually stay on topic, also he cancelled earlier because he was running out of battery, and his troubles with the chat, etc. But lately he is resting his phone on another surface so his hands are free. Also the quality is much much better. So yeah I'm divided with maaaybe a slight preference for YouTube.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Secretstanner wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 am His simple comments about his therapist shocked me a little not because I didn’t expect it but he said it so care free and openly. It made me think him not talking about it is a lot harder than him being open about it. There must of been so many times he just wanted to make a comment and couldn’t. It made me happy and I’m looking forward to him being able to talk to casually about it with us.
I also commented on this. I love how open he's able to be about that now, and how it's a good impression for his viewers and normalizes the idea of seeing a therapist.

I think all the times (especially in the past year) where he would say something like "somebody told me..." or "I've heard that..." or things like that, were stuff he'd learned from discussions with his therapist but wasn't ready to name the source yet. I'm glad he's able and comfortable to do that now.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

this live show was...woah. i loved it though. he did overwhelm me a bit with all the energy he had though, but i loved it. it made me feel energized and positive! i'd love for less liveshows if dan acts more like this.
:transheart:
alch
ar·tic·u·late

yellowsubmarine wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:37 am What do you guys prefer for liveshows? YouNow vs YouTube? Pros and cons of each one? I'm mostly referring to Dan since Phil is still faithful to YouNow.
I far prefer YouTube, honestly. I've always found YouNow streams somewhat boring, since there's less movement and he just kind of sits there. In his yt streams he can move around and show us more of his surroundings.
thesadassassin
dank meme

when he mention things like how he went to kensington palace it makes me realise how little we know about his daily life like he didnt tweet about it or anything and if he didnt say it in his liveshow we wouldve never known
Secretstanner
truth bomb

thesadassassin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:20 am when he mention things like how he went to kensington palace it makes me realise how little we know about his daily life like he didnt tweet about it or anything and if he didnt say it in his liveshow we wouldve never known
YES same! Iv said this a few times but we really don’t know anything of than what they want to tell us. I know a lot of people say they can’t do anything without being seen but I think that’s veryyyyyy untrue. Things they do with their friends we wouldn’t know about. There is so much we don’t know and that’s a good thing. I’m glad they can keep outside relationships with people without us knowing.

As for the liveshows I prefer YouTube streaming. I think he seems a lot more natural when he’s just on his phone. I was worried when he started doing them he couldn’t be as personal or talk about serious things but some of my favourite moments or things he’s talked about has been on this yt streams. Plus it looks better.
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

malday wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:28 am
captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:15 am Also, did he cut something out at around 53:42? It looks like there's a jump cut there, unless it's just the webcam glitching. I also noticed that the length went down from 1:01ish to 59:13, so I'm guessing he edited something out maybe. It doesn't look like the very beginning was edited, so :shrug:
I just checked, there is indeed a part missing from 53:42 :shrug: , it's at around 55:40 in the tumblr recording.
I'd really like to know why he cut this part? All he does is talk about forgiving people for their mistakes unless they did something really bad like "murder someone and eat 12 children." And him saying he's jealous that mark hamill liked someone in the chat's tweet.
Anyone have any ideas?
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

late to the party but i really loved dan's liveshow! he seemed very open to talk about stuff and generally in a good mood-- he was really fidgety, which made me miss the youtube streams a bit, but all in all i was very happy to see his face again and was reminded why i like him. him casually talking about therapy makes me really, really happy, too, as well as him indicating that he wants to use his voice more for good this year. <3

a bit of a tangent but i'm obsessed with black mirror and i love whenever he and phil talk about it-- i agree 100% with him that uss callister was the best black mirror episode of season 4, but i really didn't find metalhead all that compelling? idk. black mirror episodes that focus solely on freaky technology and not the social institutions and aspects of human behavior that enable the horrors of technology don't interest me nearly as much. maybe i'll watch it again with his take in mind and appreciate it for what it is, rather than measuring it against what i want a black mirror episode to be.
autumnhearth
senpai

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 am
I'd really like to know why he cut this part? All he does is talk about forgiving people for their mistakes unless they did something really bad like "murder someone and eat 12 children." And him saying he's jealous that mark hamill liked someone in the chat's tweet.
Anyone have any ideas?
I don’t think he just made the decision to cut it, it was buffering for me a couple times at the end (watching live on the YouTube app on the PS4) and it actually kicked me off the stream early and onto his memes video, I had to go back to it, it lasted another couple minutes, but then it ended before his full goodbye, so just technical difficulties is my guess.

I didn’t say it earlier, but I might as well add it now, I loved his floofy hair and was glad he finally admitted to using a hair product.

Also I have a slight preference for YouTube streaming, but I only watch so I can’t speak for chat and all that.
thesadassassin
dank meme

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 am
KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:09 am
Anyone have any ideas?
I don’t think he just made the decision to cut it, it was buffering for me a couple times at the end (watching live on the YouTube app on the PS4) and it actually kicked me off the stream early and onto his memes video, I had to go back to it, it lasted another couple minutes, but then it ended before his full goodbye, so just technical difficulties is my guess.

I didn’t say it earlier, but I might as well add it now, I loved his floofy hair and was glad he finally admitted to using a hair product.

Also I have a slight preference for YouTube streaming, but I only watch so I can’t speak for chat and all that.
i totally forgot about that but i was also quiet surprised and happy that he said he used hairspray for some reason
fancybum
senpai

:cactus: Phil and Misc Watch 2018 :cinnamon:
WHAT TO LEAVE IN 2017 (Jan 16, 2018)

Prompted Phil Mention
20:05 (chat) I’m so excited to meet you and Phil this year
“Thanks”
Unprompted Phil Mention
:indepthbaths:
Neutral Phil Mention
7:22 (about lady door) “Yeah, there’s something about Phil innocently doing something that’s quite horrifying and me just being so disappointed, isn’t it?”

19:05 (chat) when are you going to see Hamilton
“Gonna see it soon. Phil and I-”

39:46 “But yeah this week the tour stuff is kicking off ‘cause we need to start making big decisions, so we were having some really fun conversations this week about what the set will look like.”
“It’s gonna be less extra than the last one ‘cause obviously we’re not doing this whole theatrical, scripted, comedy— which was amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years— [but this one’s gonna be dank]”
-that sentence was amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years, and his delivery of it was equally amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years

44:00 “Any creative ideas we have for what we’re gonna do in this show that need months of planning or preparation, these are the kinds of decisions we need to make now, so we’re having lots of chats about that in these next couples weeks, and it’s just gonna be so goddamn fun and crazy and mother of god. So if you forgot - as if we don’t shut up about it, sorry for sponning all the time, it’s so annoying, but I guess it’s important for all those people who don’t know - danandphiltour.com”

40:50 “[TBC dates will be announced in the next couple of weeks], don’t worry. We said those countries ‘cause we’re gonna go to them, it’s just that they’re harder for us to organize ‘cause, you know, Phil and I, we’re not partnering with some record label who just do it all for us. We run the whole darn thing with ourselves and just a few people at our management, which makes it harder, but it means that we get to be control freaks that make it all good.”
-Montreal is my favourite country, wbu

44:55 (chat) you and Phil should play Getting Over It
“Well damn, danandphilgames”

45:29 (chat) Did you see the Mark of Oxin theory
“Phil watched that whole— made by Priscilla, right— game theory video. Phil was sat there nodding like ‘I didn’t even think about half this shit, this is amazing’ ”

54:20 “Make sure you go check out those bloopers from phil is not on fire 9, there were some good ones. And also the bloopers on Phil’s channel. If you didn’t see, Phil was sick at the start of this month [but we had a smattering of bloops] so we edited them into a little cheeky blooper video on Phil’s channel that’s quite nice.”
Miscellaneous
4:05 (about Dan Memes) “It’s always very funny ‘cause a lot of people, they really like these videos. A lot of people who subscribe to my channel [who maybe don’t also watch the livestreams, some of them] are like ‘it’s a bit much, honestly, as a very empathetic person who struggles to just go with the whole laughing-at-you thing, it’s actually a bit intense.’”
“But hey, roasting myself, it’s my whole brand, this self-deprecation. I think that is the Unique Thing™ about my humour.”

4:45 “And I’ll be honest with you, it’s weird for me, making one of those videos, because it’s like doing some kind of weird therapy exercise.”
5:40 “I spent two or three days [going through memes]. I was looking at these memes all day and that is weirdly intense because then it’s like, I’m not just looking at my own year, but it’s, I’m looking at the last year of my life through the filter of other people's opinions of me, and my god. I tell you right now, it’s an emotional rollercoaster.”

8:06 “’That week in March’, that was a rollercoaster. That was all on you, though. My perception of ‘that week in March’ was just a few times doing these liveshows, seeing a bunch of people spam it. I didn’t- I wasn’t part of the hellhole of speculation, so I hope you all had fun with that one.”
-90% of the blame for that is squarely on him and I don’t care how he wants to spin it

8:55 “After Phil and I released tabinof, started tatinof, stopped, did some videos, did [blah blah other things BUSY BUSY 2016]”
9:22 “So then at the start of 2017, I was like: Breathe. This is an opportunity to think about life, Dan, to reflect on things, to work on things. And I’m like omg I can’t believe it’s over, because I wanted 2017 to be a complete personal life revolution because I wasn’t thinking about my self-care, or whatever, for the past couple years. So 2017 for me was like, ‘let’s do this.’ And things did happen. I made progress with dealing with how I cope with depression” etc.

10:40 “My problem is, as someone that’s mildly agoraphobic and a bit of a nerd with no hobbies or friends or anything, I just don’t go outside or move. And what I do with my life, which is basically just writing words and/or saying them, I don’t exactly need to get out much, and that means that I’m really inactive. So even if I’m doing all this exercise, I’m not someone with a healthy lifestyle.”

12:30 (re: new years resolutions) “I’d say a good one is to make emotional resolutions, to think about how you behave in your relationships with people, how do you treat your family, how do they treat you, maybe you should be nicer to them, or maybe you should stop putting up with their bullshit. What are you like to your friends? Should you be more generous with them? Would that make you feel happier?” etc

13:15 (chat) Is that an earring?
“No, not wearing earrings right now. Still just not a part of my life with the earrings. Maybe I just need to get some classy Topman earrings”
-earringtease

16:50 “So maybe what I should do is just spend more time on twitter, seeing what people say about the world, and then offering my hot take, who knows.”
20:25 (chat) Logan Paul opinions
“Oh christ sake. That happened. I was so exhausted over Christmas this year, ‘cause we were doing gamingmas, gave people bloopers, and I [just wanted to have some chill relaxing time after all the family/friends holiday socializing].
“A few people were like “wanna come to Manchester for New Year?/wanna come to Brighton for New Year?” And I was like ‘I wanna do nothing. I ain’t gettin on no train for none of you bastards’”
[went into a cave and played BOTW for a week instead]

31:00 “Oh yeah, so the point I was trying to make about Logan Paul was: I was having a rest, okay? I was like, ‘I want to come into this new year with no anxiety/baggage. I just wanna be calm, I wanna be zen, I wanna take things slow, I wanna be happy, I wanna be creatively inspired. 2018. Who is Dan? Who do I wanna be? How can I still improve as a person? Who am I as a creator, as an entertainer, [ETC OMG]"
[and then saw the Logan Paul thing on twitter and was like ‘who did what now’]
32:35 “One thing is that I hate YT drama because when it’s not really that important, I’m like, there’s more important and dramatic things happening in the world. When I see a lot of people spending a lot of their time and energy discussing an idiot on YT doing something not that important, when it’s not that bad, I’m like ‘omg but Trump’s happening here [etc], there’s lots of things to get passionate about, so some idiot doing something idiotic— I’m sorry, it’s hard for me to care that much. But the Logan Paul thing was quite dramatic, I guess. But my thing was just- other people have said everything and it’s been handled. So I’m like, because I’m having this break so that my anxiety’s at an all-time low, I’m gonna be calm. So sorry, sorry if you wanted my hot take on it. I mean, I shouldn’t have to denounce bad things that happen every time they do, ‘cause I’d hope that you’d just know as a person that I don’t think that things are good, which is a thing.”
-well if he was ever a personal guest at, I don't know, Logan Paul’s intimate bday sleepover for example, I might expect at least a room-temperature take, but overall I generally agree with the sentiment.. generally..

34:30 “I think that YTs response was slow, but they did it, and it was a good response, um, and whatever”
-whatever indeed

24:22 “Some people were like ‘do like a wholesome positive reflection on the year’. Bruh. Who are you subscribed to? You think I’m gonna make a video doing a wholesome reflection on the year and saying what I’m thank— that’s not what I’m about, that is so boring. It would be nice, but like, that ain’t me. That ain’t me, okay?”

41:30 (chat) Troye Sivan’s new song
“Troye. Troye. God, isn’t he just one of the best things? Just like a good thing in your life, a good presence in our lives, he’s just a guy that we all like doing good things.”
42:40 “I’m really invested in Troye, as a person, and an artist, and I’m looking forward to the album so much”
43:15 “I hope that there’s a couple [songs] that are more stripped back; I want raw, sensual Troye pumped into my ears, people.”
-enter him Troye
-ahem, with music

48:50 “My therapist said that I’m a procrastinating workaholic. Because once I start working on something, I work so hard that I injure myself and forget to breathe and do all this other stuff. I just have a problem getting started, and for me it’s like a perfectionism thing. It’s because I can’t just do something and try my best and whatever, I’m like ‘if I do this thing, it has to be amazing, so it doesn’t matter if it’s like an essay or a YT video or tidying my bedroom, I’m like ‘if I do this thing, I have to like do it man’. And that’s the thing, I put this fear in myself.”
“I know that when I start it I’m gonna work so hard that I’m gonna be bleeding because I care too much ‘cause I’m a freak.”

49:50 “Maybe when I see my therapist this year, I can be like, ‘hey, what does me procrastinating and being afraid to tweet and all this other stuff have in common? What am I afraid of? What childhood trauma made me not just be more casual in life?' Who knows, maybe it’s who I am, I don’t effing know.”

50:45 “‘You need to do this about merch stuff’, says Martyn.”
-are pastel plushies dead or

53:30 (55:50ish on tumblr) “Some people are more awful than others, some people make worse mistakes than others, but nobody’s perfect. You can’t just like watch someone make one mistake and then just cut them off forever. It’s about learning from mistakes, forgiving and being forgiven, unless someone murders someone and you know, eats like 12 children, and that’s- that’s pretty bad. That doesn’t gel with society.”

54:55 (chat) your video made us remember the fun we had
“It was fun. 2017, oh my god, so many things happened, it was a rollercoaster of a year. I want 2018 to be more chill. Is that gonna happen?”

55:20 “Today I went to Kensington Palace, that’s right, I was invited to Prince William’s house" (re: #stopspeaksupport campaign- and Prince William wasn't there)
56:30 “So they just wanted me to come and chat about their plans ‘cause they want me to help them come up with some ideas for something cool that would happen soon.”

58:06 “Liveshows: I ain’t doing them weekly every Tuesday at 9 o’clock. Said this before.”
“I will do them as and when I feel like I miss you and I love you and I want to catch up, I will try to let you know before, but don’t turn up here next Tuesday at 9 o’clock because I am definitely busy”

58:35 “Obviously these liveshows are me just waffling on the spot. Don’t judge me, don’t take any notes away from my personality, don’t evaluate me as a person, this is a very strange environment.”
-shit
-he’s onto us
-abort
:whiskers: Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 14 times :whiskers:
~14/60 mins = 0.23 per min

Was Phil in the room and was Dan constantly glancing at him as he spoke? 38:30 looks like it to me. 43:45? 44:08-44:13? 46:30?? (and probably earlier, but I only started paying attention 38mins in?)? If so, Phil should have click-clacked on HIS laptop the whole time for revenge.

Anyway, I love Dan. And I prefer his liveshows on younow by a large margin. And as the first liveshow of 2018, it was amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years

Ok back to listening to the Cranberries in the dark byyye.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
scientia
phabergé

Dan's Star Wars talk.

Honestly, I didn't even like the movie but I enjoyed hearing Dan go on about it. Both Dan and Phil talk about movies, TV, and music during every single liveshow (be it at the prompting of the chat or otherwise). This, to me, is the kind of thing I'd love to hear in a podcast format. Without all of the chat distractions, I think he and Phil could talk about movies and TV for a podcast-length amount of time. I'm not sure if their persona-y aspects would fit the format but if they want to ease away from weekly liveshows then the topics could still be covered in a podcast. Easy, maybe low-effort podcasting - but damn I'd subscribe. :thumb:
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Posting for like the 3rd time about this ls, what is wrong with me. I am really Dan trash :garbage:
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am 41:30 (chat) Troye Sivan’s new song
“Troye. Troye. God, isn’t he just one of the best things? Just like a good thing in your life, a good presence in our lives, he’s just a guy that we all like doing good things.”
42:40 “I’m really invested in Troye, as a person, and an artist, and I’m looking forward to the album so much”
43:15 “I hope that there’s a couple [songs] that are more stripped back; I want raw, sensual Troye pumped into my ears, people.”
-enter him Troye
-ahem, with music
I would just like to point out that i said on my post about dan's troye tweet that i think he has a crush. Called it.
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am 53:30 (55:50ish on tumblr) “Some people are more awful than others, some people make worse mistakes than others, but nobody’s perfect. You can’t just like watch someone make one mistake and then just cut them off forever. It’s about learning from mistakes, forgiving and being forgiven, unless someone murders someone and you know, eats like 12 children, and that’s- that’s pretty bad. That doesn’t gel with society.”
Feel like he's def referencing everyone talking about him still seeing pewdiepie w/ the "you can't just watch someone make one mistake and cut them off forever." (Although I don't necessarily believe that felix did learn from his mistake. But i do agree with Dan that it doesn't have to mean he has to suddenly completely forget felix's existence. Idk -- i know a lot of people here have some strong opinions and i'm DEF not trying to start up that whole convo again so i'll leave this thought here.)
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am Was Phil in the room and was Dan constantly glancing at him as he spoke? 38:30 looks like it to me. 43:45? 44:08-44:13? 46:30?? (and probably earlier, but I only started paying attention 38mins in?)? If so, Phil should have click-clacked on HIS laptop the whole time for revenge.
I think he was not, just because if you watch the one on tumblr without the beginning cut off, there's a loud door closing noise at the beginning. When i first heard it I was like "oh, okay BYE PHIL" :lol:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
kavat
pastel persona

Gosh that was lovely wasn't it. I was getting anxious last night about having too many notifications on my phone and not wanting to reply to people, so when I heard my phone buzz again I was like 'oh god who is it now'. But it turned out to be Dan and it just made my night so much better.

These rambly chatty live shows with lots of opinions are always my favourite. When he gets lost in tangents I just laugh, it doesn't annoy me really. Loved him dropping a casual mention of his therapist.

The lack of Phil mentions didn't strike me as odd. It's natural that a normal ls when he's spent the whole week at home and didn't talk to a lot of people he would drop more 'Phil said/did/thinks this'. But this was his first live show in what, a month? And he has spend time with family, done work things and such. Talking about those things more than domestic anecdotes seems natural to me.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

bit late as i didn't have time to watch the liveshow earlier, but it was so. nice. it made me realize how much i actually miss dan's hour-long liveshows. i personally find myself relating a lot to dan (or at least the parts of himself that he shares online), and i find it really nice to sit down and have someone say a bunch of stuff and (for the most part, depending on whatever is going on in this corner of the internet lol) agree with like 90% of what they're saying. i find it to be a nice way to unwind.

regarding dan being shifty and fidgeting, i think that no matter what he does people are going to accuse him of being drunk or weird and annoying if he's more energetic, and if he has a lot less energy or talks more negatively about stuff they'll say he must not be doing so well and is having a bad time. while those could very well be influences (during the "that week in march" period, i recall there being a definite switch in his behaviour, which was obviously understood after he explained everything), i think people just perceive him differently, or are just being a little too analytical of his actions. but who am i to say that, writing a long-ass post about his mannerisms when i literally don't know him? lol
anyway, moving back to the point i wanted to make, i think because dan's going into a new year with the whole "new year, new me" mindset, and this year is being started as one where he's more open but also having to do a lot of work stuff to do with the new tour and such, he maybe be a little anxious, though i'm sure excited, to go into it which may explain the difficulty staying still or looking forwards. maybe i'm reaching, but i also think a viable explanation for his behaviour (if one is even needed lol) is that he did a full-on work and meetings day, which i imagine would be draining, and i know that myself and other introverted people i know get a little out of sorts after a lot of interaction with people.

again, maybe i'm overthinking this (as i've three lectures today and have been struggling through a paper, i'm pretty exhausted and probably not thinking properly), but overall i'm just glad to have a typical waffle-y dan liveshow again.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ugh. @fancybum... I'm not sure if I missed live shows for Dan and Phil or for your posts. :sobs:
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am  12:30 (re: new years resolutions) “I’d say a good one is to make emotional resolutions, to think about how you behave in your relationships with people, how do you treat your family, how do they treat you, maybe you should be nicer to them, or maybe you should stop putting up with their bullshit. What are you like to your friends? Should you be more generous with them? Would that make you feel happier?” etc
Found myself wondering if those first few questions are ones he asked himself. I know he doesn't want us to over-analyze, but I'm doing it anyway! Last year he became far more open about his mum and how often he saw her. Perhaps he's grown to value their relationship more, to maybe realize that his perception of his family was more negative than it needed to be and he wants to move that into the New Year?

IDK. But sign me up for watching Dan blossom.
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am 16:50 “So maybe what I should do is just spend more time on twitter, seeing what people say about the world, and then offering my hot take, who knows.”
Thank you for the morning laugh. Moments like these I want to slam the non-existent Thank You button. :rofl: (Also, yes, Dan. Please do.)
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am 49:50 “Maybe when I see my therapist this year, I can be like, ‘hey, what does me procrastinating and being afraid to tweet and all this other stuff have in common? What am I afraid of? What childhood trauma made me not just be more casual in life?' Who knows, maybe it’s who I am, I don’t effing know.”
I'm really fascinated how easily and comfortably Dan has changed his language since the Depression video. IIRC, he once (probably) referenced his therapist as "someone important once said..." and now he just gets to just talk. I think that's part of what's been making these live shows so great. He's so much more open.

I recently saw a clip from like... last March? April? Where he touched on some of this stuff, but just let it die, because he couldn't really open about it. "It's okay to be sad sometimes." It's probably unhealthy how happy I am for the guy.
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am Anyway, I love Dan. And I prefer his liveshows on younow by a large margin. And as the first liveshow of 2018, it was amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years
I hope this description never, ever dies.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm on team 'prefer Dan's younow liveshows' because I feel like he just focuses marginally better when he's not got filters to flip through and weird phone angles to play with, and also on team 'missed @fancybum's recaps more than the actual liveshows.

(It was a really good liveshow, though.)
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am12:30 (re: new years resolutions) “I’d say a good one is to make emotional resolutions, to think about how you behave in your relationships with people, how do you treat your family, how do they treat you, maybe you should be nicer to them, or maybe you should stop putting up with their bullshit. What are you like to your friends? Should you be more generous with them? Would that make you feel happier?” etc
This comment fascinated me and definitely drew into even starker clarity for me how I don't think the lack of talking about his dad (which continued on through this liveshow, saying how he and his mum made the cake together) may be part of some resolution made in the past couple of years.
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am58:35 “Obviously these liveshows are me just waffling on the spot. Don’t judge me, don’t take any notes away from my personality, don’t evaluate me as a person, this is a very strange environment.”
Just try and stop me, Dan. Just try. :devious:
fancybum
senpai

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 am
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am Was Phil in the room and was Dan constantly glancing at him as he spoke? 38:30 looks like it to me. 43:45? 44:08-44:13? 46:30?? (and probably earlier, but I only started paying attention 38mins in?)? If so, Phil should have click-clacked on HIS laptop the whole time for revenge.
I think he was not, just because if you watch the one on tumblr without the beginning cut off, there's a loud door closing noise at the beginning. When i first heard it I was like "oh, okay BYE PHIL" :lol:
Or was he just coming into the room?!? :illuminati:
He was glancing all over the place, but I feel like whenever he looked to his right, and then back, that was specifically to the Phil-chilling-on-the-couch area.. hm. inconclusive...
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm This comment fascinated me and definitely drew into even starker clarity for me how I don't think the lack of talking about his dad (which continued on through this liveshow, saying how he and his mum made the cake together) may be part of some resolution made in the past couple of years.
Interesting.. do you think that's because of something like having decided to no longer put up with his dad's shit..? Or..?
rizzo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:48 am Anyway, I love Dan. And I prefer his liveshows on younow by a large margin. And as the first liveshow of 2018, it was amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years
I hope this description never, ever dies.
It would have been next thread title material if it wasn't so damn long. But it can't die... for at least ten years...
because...
it's amazing and underrated and set the bar so high that no one’s ever gonna touch it for like ten years
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
malday
emo goose

Whenever they ask for opinions about their content it makes me think it's for something they are writing, for the tour maybe.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

yellowsubmarine wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:37 am What do you guys prefer for liveshows? YouNow vs YouTube? Pros and cons of each one? I'm mostly referring to Dan since Phil is still faithful to YouNow.

Personally I'm divided.
YouNow used to be my favorite because he just sat back, relaxed, and started waffling away. He uses his hands a lot to speak and like hit the table and move around in the chair (and fall of his chair that one time xD), so yeah I loved them. But the quality is just awful.

When he started livestreaming on YouTube I got skeptical at first because I thought it would be all over the place since he is holding his phone and he got too distracted with the filters and stuff to actually stay on topic, also he cancelled earlier because he was running out of battery, and his troubles with the chat, etc. But lately he is resting his phone on another surface so his hands are free. Also the quality is much much better. So yeah I'm divided with maaaybe a slight preference for YouTube.
Well I'm not a fan of either, as is well documented on this forum. But I can usually actually watch and finish a YouTube liveshow, while YouNow liveshows make me wanna pour a bucket of acid over my head. He just rambles on and on too much in a manner that really rubs me in all the wrong ways. That said I don't enjoy the YouTube shows as much anymore as I did with the first few either. Maybe I just can't take Dan talking for longer than the length of an average video :shrug:

Didn't watch yesterday's, I was busy with other fandom life and anything I read back on Twitter later hasn't inspired me to go back and see for myself. I wonder if them not being a weekly thing anymore this year could change my blah opinion on liveshows though.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

On the scale of weird Phil tweets this one is solidly up there.
The replies rate, as well.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 pm On the scale of weird Phil tweets this one is solidly up there.
The replies rate, as well.
Phil's Twitter has been really on point lately imo he sounds funny and sassy and that new icon? Phil knowing he took a hot selfie and showing it? What a confident man :garbage: :garbage:

I'm really hoping he does a liveshow tomorrow, I miss his face, his weird humour and I wanna hear him talk about the Faberge thing because that might be the funniest least on brand thing ever
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

liola wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:01 pm I'm really hoping he does a liveshow tomorrow, I miss his face, his weird humour and I wanna hear him talk about the Faberge thing because that might be the funniest least on brand thing ever
God me too! I'm so in the mood for a cosy Phil liveshow, where he chats about what he got for Christmas and what he's watching at the moment, and yes omg I want to hear him talk about the faberge egg! And maybe also the Make-A-Wish fundraiser too! I'm so glad he made that pic his twitter icon as well, it's such a gorgeous photo <3

Regarding the door slam (such an important topic, I know) - is there even a door on that level? It's always seemed like one big open room containing a kitchen and living area, with the only doors being maybe those that open onto a balcony. So he would have closed a door on the floor below then, which I think is the floor with Dan's room and presumably other floor-boarded rooms. I don't know what conclusion I'm even drawing here tbh, I am hungover and this was a useless post lmao

(also fancybum your timestamps are the best :love1: )
dontpanic
#relatable

So I notice that most of the new criteria for video demonetization won't touch huge creators like Dan and Phil, but there's one part that I'd like to hear your opinions on. I linked one of the articles below talking about a change specific to Google Preferred creators, mostly as a response to Logan Paul, is "every video submitted for Google Preferred ads must be watched by a moderator and manually approved as family-friendly content." Do y'all think this will change how Deppy approach making videos?

Here's a pretty good article on the subject since most other media sources are focusing more on the admittedly more alarming problems for smaller creators (I hate Polygon but their summation of all this is begrudgingly good) https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/16/16898 ... logan-paul

also :bigthumbsup: for Phil writing slightly less robotic tweets lately