Phandom Gives

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lilabet
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/Her

Phandom Gives

Post by lilabet » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Phandom Gives:

How and why Phandom Gives came about
I had been considering for months the fact that there was no charity drive the Phandom (that I am aware of). Then @LtrllySusan started a conversation about Dan and Phil’s charity work. I felt that as a fandom we could be doing more ourselves and luckily it's almost Phil's Birthday so our first project was born.

I took a lot of inspiration from 1D Fans Give and set up Phandom Gives.
Everyone has surpassed my expectations -see me setting the original goal as £310.00! Thank you to everyone who has donated and shared, it means a lot.

I chose Just Giving because the money goes directly to the charities. According to their website “We automatically transfer donations to the chosen charity on a weekly basis (or, if the total donated to that particular charity on JustGiving is under £100, we wait until the end of the month). We do this so that charities don’t have to wait too long to start putting the funds raised towards their amazing work.” Further details can be found on their website https://help.justgiving.com/hc/en-us/ar ... e-charity-

Charities
Phil's Birthday Drive: Make A Wish - We chose Make A Wish because of the boy's past support.
Please donate to Phil's birthday drive https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... ves-phil31!
Or if you are in the UK you can text PGVS91 with £5 or an alternative amount to 70070.

Dan's Birthday Drive - We chose Young Minds as Dan is an ambassador.
His birthday drive is already open but I’ll do a full announcement in February. Feel free to donate now but we do have until June for his one :) Please donate to Dan's drive birthday drive https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ ... ives-dan27! Or if you are in the UK you can text PGVS50 £5 or an alternative amount to 70070.

NOTE: If you are in the UK and donating in GBP, make sure to check the GIFT AID BOX. Make A Wish will receive the tax back from the government so they actually receive more of the donation!
If you want to donate by PayPal, make sure you change the currency to GBP.

Social Media
https://phandomgives.tumblr.com/
https://twitter.com/PhandomGives
https://www.instagram.com/phandomgives/?hl=en
Also phandomgives.com is a work in progress but i bought it today!

Thank You To
@psychicmoth who created the amazing branding and some great images.
@missemma for volunteering to help out with twitter. It'll be great to have back up when we start being more creative for Dan's drive.
@DatCog for volunteering to build the new website. I'm sure it'll be amazing once it's up and running.

This project has just started so if you have any ideas be it for Dan's drive or wider phandom giving please leave them below. I'm definitely interested in what we could do around tour as well. <3

whatdoiknow
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Re: Phandom Gives

Post by whatdoiknow » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 pm

Great idea with starting a new thread. I'm just gonna copy one of my posts from the main thread that I made when the Phandom Gives drive was first started, where I listed some ideas that I've seen 1D Fans Give do, to this thread in case any of these ideas come in handy for the drives:
whatdoiknow wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:16 pm
Awesome, thanks for setting this up! It's such a great way to give back to charity.

I'm in a fandom that has been raising money for charity for the boys' birthdays for years now, and I haven't really been involved, but here are some things I've noticed the organizers of done if you want some ideas:

-raffling off tickets to shows (if anyone has any extra tickets to TIIT, you could maybe consider doing this), or raffling off any merch/memoribilia that you might have outgrown
-holding contests/raffles for art / other things people in the fandom made (doesn't have to be fandom-related), just if you're talented in any way, you can consider knitting something or painting a picture or whatever and raffling it off
-people often do promotion type things, where if they get a certain amount of people to donate a certain small amount, they will match that total donation
-fic writers writing a small fic in exchange for donation (I've already seen that happen in the phandom before)
-fandom artists, gif makers, etc. often make promotion type things which have the opportunity to get reblogged a lot and spread the message

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment, but I'm sure a lot of you have been more heavily involved in these things for a lot longer, so you probably have a lot more ideas. Just thought I'd throw ideas out there while we're getting started

mermaid blood
angel bean squish
angel bean squish
Pronouns: she/her

Post by mermaid blood » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:21 am

good thinking, this deserves it's own thread!

if/when you need to edit the top post with updated information just let one of us know.
art in avatar by Lily

phillyforgot
tol bean

Post by phillyforgot » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:41 am

I think it was a really good idea of you to post a separate thread for Phandom Gives. I'm looking forward to reading the discussion here, I'm sure you'll all have really good ideas. :thumb:

LadyLackless
dank meme

Post by LadyLackless » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:43 am

I love checking in on how the fundraiser is doing - so many heartwarming messages on the donation page :D

Also worth noting that the original ‘dream-goal’ of £3100 has now been doubled - the Phandom is amazing and generous and there is still 2 weeks to go <3

missemma
dirty bitch
dirty bitch

Post by missemma » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Really can't believe that the total raised so far is £6,332.82! Phil's birthday isn't for 2 weeks yet, wonder if we will hit the £10,000 mark!
"you don't need to say pow every time I apply some wood" - Dan Howell 2015.

kavat
delia smith’s placenta

Post by kavat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Hey, the fundraiser got an article on We the unicorns! I'm not a big fan of the site in general but anything that gives the charity spotlight is a good thing in my book :)
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

DatCog
woodland creature

Post by DatCog » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:55 pm

I don't think a £10,000 end goal for the fundraiser is unrealistic, especially if Phil (and also Dan perhaps) give it another shoutout nearer the 30th! Very proud to be part of this :D
"My nillies are so un-willied" - Phil Lester 2017

missemma
dirty bitch
dirty bitch

Post by missemma » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 pm

I wonder if they've already donated, I had a look through and couldnt see anything although I'm sure they'd do it anonymously without their names on and the amount hidden! With Dan's birthday still being 6 months away there is so much time to plan a really good campaign for Young Minds.

Great for We The Unicorns also picking up on it!

LtrllySusan
long-time wanker

Post by LtrllySusan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:10 pm

missemma wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 pm
I wonder if they've already donated, I had a look through and couldnt see anything although I'm sure they'd do it anonymously without their names on and the amount hidden!
I think they'll donate privately instead of participating in this fundraiser. After all, it's Phandom Gives.

phillyforgot
tol bean

Post by phillyforgot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:08 pm

The numbers are just getting higher and higher. I love seeing people do good in this world. I'm pretty sure Make-A-Wish will use the money to make people's dreams come true. :tu: <3

missemma
dirty bitch
dirty bitch

Post by missemma » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:35 pm

LtrllySusan wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:10 pm

I think they'll donate privately instead of participating in this fundraiser. After all, it's Phandom Gives.
Oh I know, I thought Phil implied he would donate to the phandom fundraiser but now you've said that I probably just read it wrong.