Dan & Phil Part 68: The Quiffening

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
annetamiau
lady door

@Katka Thanks for clarifying! (I was genuinely asking).

On a different note, I was hoping Dan and Phil would move before the tour, but I don't think they will anymore (which doesn't make any sense to me but one and a half of Dan's jumpers cost what I earn in an entire month, so I might lack perspective here). Anyway, when do you think they'll move? I guess next stop is the forever home plus corgi package. Maybe by the end of this year?
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

annetamiau wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:51 pm @Katka Thanks for clarifying! (I was genuinely asking).

On a different note, I was hoping Dan and Phil would move before the tour, but I don't think they will anymore (which doesn't make any sense to me but one and a half of Dan's jumpers cost what I earn in an entire month, so I might lack perspective here). Anyway, when do you think they'll move? I guess next stop is the forever home plus corgi package. Maybe by the end of this year?
Never. They're gonna stay in their place and buy it out and then they'll buy out their "filming flat" and then they'll buy the whole building and suddenly they're residential building owners and Martyn will help run their property management company and now they've got IRL Digital and Meme Management and they're making money off of other people's merch and other people's rent and Phil is a very happy boy indeed.

I mean. Uh... I'm still hoping they move the same way they did before. Go off on tour with everything covered in post-it notes and a moving company does the rest.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:04 pmI mean. Uh... I'm still hoping they move the same way they did before. Go off on tour with everything covered in post-it notes and a moving company does the rest.
Which reminds me... Weren't people trying to figure out what the different colours of post-it notes meant? Good chance it was to indicate which apartment it goes to.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Re names, I didn’t find the joke in good taste either, though I know they weren’t intending to be rude or racist. I have an unusual name that often gets mispronounced, and I’m white and it’s annoying, though it was only taken the piss out of once or twice as a kid. Heck, there’s extra history that some others names have too, my surname was changed to not sound Jewish (for others, theirs was replaced by slaveowners etc). Everyone’s going to find a lot of names unusual due to different languages, but it’s also still a racist thing for someone in a minority. As Katka said, good for you if you don’t mind, but don’t belittle others’ feelings.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

That.. makes a lot of sense. I've been believing for a while now that they must be renting something like two apartments or at least a property that might be rent out as one apartment but in practice is well suited for a "Living Apart Together" sort of style.
One thing i can't see them doing though is leaving the building to get to a separate filming apartment. In their laziness i trust. xD
Also, i think Phil secretly murdered the Rave Tree when he decided to not put a post-it on the box it was in, condemning it to the trash.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

flarequake wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:08 pm Re names, I didn’t find the joke in good taste either, though I know they weren’t intending to be rude or racist. I have an unusual name that often gets mispronounced, and I’m white and it’s annoying, though it was only taken the piss out of once or twice as a kid. Heck, there’s extra history that some others names have too, my surname was changed to not sound Jewish (for others, theirs was replaced by slaveowners etc). Everyone’s going to find a lot of names unusual due to different languages, but it’s also still a racist thing for someone in a minority. As Katka said, good for you if you don’t mind, but don’t belittle others’ feelings.
I know this whole conversation must be really exhausting
I hope I didn't offend anyone with my question, I genuinely wanted to know if there was a difference between mispronouncing and misremembering in terms of history and being considered a micro-aggression but reading the arguments I can understand how both can be quite problematic.
I'm sorry if I made anyone feel uncomfortable, I know this probably wasn't directed to me but I still want to take the opportunity to say that that wasn't my intention but I'm still sorry, I should have worded my question better.
onomatopoeia
squish
Pronouns: she/her

slightly ot but i was just rewatching their moving out video and at 1:20, you can see the magnet people thought was the bi flag. pic below but it's v blurry bc the camera was moving really fast. sorry! i tried :oops:
still don't know what it is though. if you squint you can kind of see two animals in front of ...a lighthouse? maybe someone with better screenshotting skills can help me out :lol:
mm_sunny1993
spork

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:04 pm I mean. Uh... I'm still hoping they move the same way they did before. Go off on tour with everything covered in post-it notes and a moving company does the rest.
Did they really do that? I wasn't around when they moved. Are there any pictures of it or something?
annetamiau
lady door

mm_sunny1993 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 pm
rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:04 pm I mean. Uh... I'm still hoping they move the same way they did before. Go off on tour with everything covered in post-it notes and a moving company does the rest.
Did they really do that? I wasn't around when they moved. Are there any pictures of it or something?
I think it was around the time they went to Singapore (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They left for ten to fifteen days if I recall (they went to that festival-thing in Australia that was just an excuse for their Singapore trip). The thing is, this time they won't be leaving for weeks straight, at least not during the UK tour.

I still secretely hope they'll somehow move, just because it'd be an exciting time to be in the phandom.
yeetussy
glabella

Hiya, long-time lurker here! :D :D The conversation about the names got me itching to say something.

Idk if this really counts for anything but; as a person of colour myself, I don’t find the jokes that deep? It just looked like they really didn’t remember the name. I get my first name made fun of all the time (it’s African) and just generally mispronounced, whether it be because people forget it or w/e. I think we all need to calm down a little bit? I really don’t think a bit about forgetting a name should be categorised as “racist” (I know no one sees deppy as racists, they obviously aren’t, just saying).

They probably should have just edited it out so this wouldn’t have even been an issue, but they probably didn’t think of it as that deep either.

I’m curious on if it wasn’t the name of a person of colour, whether we’d be having this type of discussion? Not trying to be offensive or anything, just genuinely curious :shrug:

(I hope at least one person understands what I mean, I’m bad at this :( )
Winston
flower crown

yeetussy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm Hiya, long-time lurker here! :D :D The conversation about the names got me itching to say something.

Idk if this really counts for anything but; as a person of colour myself, I don’t find the jokes that deep? It just looked like they really didn’t remember the name. I get my first name made fun of all the time (it’s African) and just generally mispronounced, whether it be because people forget it or w/e. I think we all need to calm down a little bit? I really don’t think a bit about forgetting a name should be categorised as “racist” (I know no one sees deppy as racists, they obviously aren’t, just saying).

They probably should have just edited it out so this wouldn’t have even been an issue, but they probably didn’t think of it as that deep either.

I’m curious on if it wasn’t the name of a person of colour, whether we’d be having this type of discussion? Not trying to be offensive or anything, just genuinely curious :shrug:

I get exactly what you mean! I too was thinking that. To me the most "racist" bit of the whole thing is the idea of white names/ poc names.
actions speak louder than words
flarequake
not an airport stalker

@LurkingTrash your question was fine, don’t worry. Dan and Phil joking around with the name might not be that deep, but the article Katka linked to explained why it’s not all okay. If it had been a white person’s name, I’d still have found it rude and be surprised at them.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

:coffee: so what's the mood for tonight, folks?
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
dancy
procrastinator

yeetussy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm Hiya, long-time lurker here! :D :D The conversation about the names got me itching to say something.

First of all, I love your username :lol: Second, I'm a POC too and I didn't necessarily see their comments as racist but I suppose the reason they somewhat bothered me is because they reminded me of moments during my life in which other POC (not including myself) got ridiculed because of their names. I wouldn't say it's a huge deal to me though and I was still able to enjoy the video.
annetamiau wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:34 pm I think it was around the time they went to Singapore (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They left for ten to fifteen days if I recall (they went to that festival-thing in Australia that was just an excuse for their Singapore trip). The thing is, this time they won't be leaving for weeks straight, at least not during the UK tour.

I still secretely hope they'll somehow move, just because it'd be an exciting time to be in the phandom.
I find it unlikely that they would be moving before or during the tour but even if they were, I don't think we would really know about it until half a year from now (when the tour has ended). Interactive Introverts is starting in a little over three weeks already and I don't really think they've hinted at the possibility of moving anytime soon (correct me if I'm wrong). Sure, the whole renting situation would be an incentive for them to move and they obviously do want their "forever home" with a dog and all that eventually but I don't know whether they're really in a hurry or not :shrug:

Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "they won't be leaving for weeks straight"? I don't know how they did things during TATINOF but I do believe they'll hardly get the chance to go home. The UK leg of the tour has 22 shows in 16 different places and lasts exactly one month, so there's not really a lot of time inbetween shows that won't be spent on traveling and rehearsing.

Now that I'm reading this back, I feel like I sound a bit aggressive but I definitely don't mean it that way :)
hello9217
flower crown

As tour starts drawing near I'm beginning to grow curious on how much pre-filming and all of that is getting done. Like how much would they need to have stored away. Also will we have some vids of Phil with a fringe or did they wait until this month to start pre-recording? Tour starts at the end of this month and at most they have two day breaks in-between, which I'm assuming will be mostly occupied by traveling to the next place. Even though I wasn't here last year, from what I can remember of videos, Phil managed to film two main channel videos from hotel rooms, dan did none, and they did the undertale video in a hotel room as well. I'm curious because during TATINOF they had large breaks between the UK show, the US show, and then UK again and some of Europe and Australia but this tour is just 5 months long and in entirely different countries/states constantly.

I remember someone said once that gamingmas was a good pre-cursor for them to figure out how quickly they could film, edit, and put up a video, because those didn't seem to be entirely pre-filmed. I hope that since Phil doesn't seem to put live shows on his second channel anymore he will start to utilize it again and just make little vloggy things from tour. Phil Lester V. Praying Mantis is still the best video to ever exist and I wish we got more of those. Also because they are going to so many different places and we didn't get a ditl last year, I hope we will get one this year. Or 5 months in the life on tour, where we can control the production and how much people see so we will therefore not make a huge scene when it comes to sleeping arrangements, sorry I'm salty.

Something else I've been thinking about ever since that Sue Perkins interview they did last year is do you think Interactive Introverts will be on Netflix? I know this may seem like a stretch but they did say they were going to film it to show us but it won't be a Youtube Red thing again. In the interview with Sue they both made it very clear that if they ever created something they want it to be accessible to many people. They even used Netflix as an example of a good company they have spoken to before. Also Dan's Super Gamers documentary ended up being uploaded to Netflix so it doesn't seem to be such a stretch. Sorry for this long ramble about things no-one was talking about currently, its just been on my mind for awhile.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ratlad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:52 pm :coffee: so what's the mood for tonight, folks?
sauce
annetamiau
lady door

@dancy no worries. I just assumed that, since some of the cities where they are performing are relatively close to London, they'd want to go back home as often as possible instead of staying in hotels (thus not leaving for weeks straight). It's of course mere speculation, but if I were them I'd want some peace and quiet at home, and moving is anything but that.

I hope they prove me wrong though!
honeymoon
smol bean

mm_sunny1993 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 pm
Yes, there are pictures! Of the sticky notes, at least. In their 'We're Moving Out' video you can see a blue sticky note on Dan's mirror:
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

d+p make fun of just about everything they don't personally get or understand + d+p have the white luck of being able to choose to just not educate themselves about racial issues if they don't want to, the result being d+p making fun of aspects of typically non white cultures or norms or features without taking 3 seconds to think about the implications of that. their first sims video had them trying out preset facial features made for non white sims and laughing at them. nothing racist about them, they're just products of their environment and don't make much of an effort to consider why they're very set in what they think the norm is and why they tend to only criticise norms that affect them personally
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
DatCog
blobfish

Dan live show tonight!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Wow, that gif of Phil going to bite Dan’s arm is terrifying, I hadn’t noticed how scary his face looks in the video. He’d make a hot vampire, good thing it’s such a trope in fic really.

I wouldn’t put it past them to have pre-filmed before Phil officially changed his hair, but with the new style. Unless he really did consult with his new hairdresser and hadn’t already thought about that (don’t like to accuse them of lying, but people often think they’re up to something and don’t tell us). Otherwise yeah, they haven’t had so much time since he changed his hair and it would be weird for future videos to have him with his fringe again. Long-winded way of saying I don’t know, but anyway yay, Dan liveshow!
fieldoflovers
living flop

Re moving theory: I don’t think they’ll move this year simply because it’s stressful af. Dan talked a lot about how much moving sucks and most people agree with that sentiment. Imagine moving and trying to settle into a new place while on an international tour. I don’t think its a good financial decision to leave their apartment(s) empty for months on end when they aren’t living in it but I guess the alternative would be to put all their stuff in storage units, go on tour, come back and then move into a house? Because i can’t really think of how else they’d manage it.

Also I don’t think they’ll make a video like “we’re moving out” the next time they do simply because the old flat had so many more memories/ we all knew it well. Phil would probably just mention it at some point i imagine.

Also yay liveshow!
ratlad
angel bean

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:38 pm
ratlad wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:52 pm :coffee: so what's the mood for tonight, folks?
sauce
understandable, have a good day.
hello9217
flower crown

I'm happy for a dan liveshow but also worried that he/someone in the chat will bring up the tumblr likes. I'm hoping that since he seemed really happy in the last video and he just got back from visiting family he will be in a good mood but i guess we will just see.
ratlad
angel bean

i can't wait to hear dan tell us that he accidentally liked those pics
(i love to joke and wiggle and giggle around)
i hope he's in a good mood, not just for our sake, but his own. he always does liveshows at the time when i have to cook dinner.

hmm do u guys think it was intentional he liked 3 very relationship-y art? (well, 2, if you don't count the one with the "boyfriend" caption) or is he gonna say something like "i appreciate all forms of art" and over explain his reasoning?
i honestly hope he doesn't even bring it up.