Dan & Phil Part 69: our cherry blossom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Something else I really appreciated in this video that I forgot to mention: Dan (and somewhat Phil) bringing up that their youtube channels our very persona heavy and not fully them. Like when dan said that the tour was to meet daniel howell and phil lester and "not danisnotonfire and amazingphil, whoever they are," it just felt like such a statement of how they want to represent themselves now. I feel like this is something that we have been commenting on over the past year and it felt really nice to hear that both of them also feel like it's the right time to shed some of the branding and cement this tour as the thing that will help do that.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

httpixel wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:11 am Also, door slam at 5:07? Any thoughts on this?
I heard it too and all I can think is that someone was helping them film, it could have been the owner of the dog, or maybe it was something falling because when they went around the camera at the end of the shot there was a similar noise.

It could have also been Janice making herself scarce
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

Okay I've taken some time to collect myself and have a few rewatches, i'm back with some (slightly) more coherent thoughts.

First, for the most part I don't agree wit this whole "the tour is marking the end of something" theories, but I do find Dan's choice of words odd at around :30 when he says "and while we're all still here". Does anyone else have a possible explanation for what he could mean by this cause this is the only thing in the video that kind of had me like "wait wat??"

Also as someone else said there was a door slam at the beginning of the trying on each other's clothes bit... Something I noticed along those same lines is at the end of the dog part with the two of them together with the dog on the floor. There had to be someone else filming them for this part, I wonder who it was?

The yoga challenge was a blessing, love anything with full body shots of them (that sounded creepier than i intended) and them completely failing at the last pose but Dan still acting all hyped with the "yoga challenge BITCH" had me dying :rofl:

In regards to phil saying fuck.. I felt a lil awkward for him at the lead up because he seemed to feel so awkward, but the delivery was worth it. On the first watch I literally gasped -- I'm a little embarassed about how much of a reaction I had as a grown adult who cusses all the time to hearing another adult who cusses all the time say the word "fuck". :lol:

The end bit of them giving more info about tiit made me really really happy I decided to go ahead and get a ticket back in December. I've already been quite excited for it, but now I really can't wait! Also Dan mentioning the piano playing -- truly giving the people what they want. The fact that it sounds highly likely that Dan will be playing piano right in front of my own two eyes in real life honestly has me shook. Theres clearly some sort of plan going on with that based off phil saying he can't show his face cause he'll give it away. Interested to see what that will be.

Okay guys this last part is really hard for me to admit, esp here on IDB where i've always been pretty vocal that I don't think they're together.. and i'm still not convinced.. but this video actually had me questioning it. The non-reactions to the parts of pinof1 that shippers tend to focus on, the "our life" part with the dog, Dan putting his head between Phil's legs like its the most natural thing in the world.. i just don't know what to think. I still believe in the reasons that made me think they weren't together, but now them actually being together seems so much more possible.. I am confusion. I guess just count me as phan-agnostic for now. (Honestly really truly can't believe I'm saying that)
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
annabanana
sofa crease

KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 am
First, for the most part I don't agree wit this whole "the tour is marking the end of something" theories, but I do find Dan's choice of words odd at around :30 when he says "and while we're all still here". Does anyone else have a possible explanation for what he could mean by this cause this is the only thing in the video that kind of had me like "wait wat??"
I just took this as one of Dan's normal "we're all dying" or "we could get hit by a meteor tomorrow" comments.
Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

annabanana wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 am
KatjaZoe wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:09 am
I just took this as one of Dan's normal "we're all dying" or "we could get hit by a meteor tomorrow" comments.
He was talking about going on tour right before that so I took it as "before we leave for the tour"
Loafer
sofa crease

I’m feeling. So delighted. And....vindicated? For YEARS I’ve (and I think many others have) wanted to see them present themselves as real adults, not as their personas. I hated how hard they clung to dinof and ap. I wanted dan to rock his natural curly hair and Phil to ditch the god awful fringe (sorry to all the fringe lovers out there, it just made a part of me cringe every time). I wanted the totally false angel bean Lester brand to disappear. I wanted them to be able to not walk on egg shells around phan. And that has all come to pass and it’s so wonderful??? This video was amazing and better than anything I could have expected. I watched it in a state of shock.

I’m thinking that they want to get to a state where they know we know about their relationship, but there is a mutual understanding that it’s something that they might reference once in a while but will never be something they really share with us. I don’t see how they could get to that point without explicit confirmation of their relationship, but damn if this video didn’t move them closer. I’ve said this about so many of their videos lately, but if this was my first ever dnp video, I would 100% assume that they would were together.
Loafer
sofa crease

Loafer wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:51 am I’m feeling. So delighted. And....vindicated? For YEARS I’ve (and I think many others have) wanted to see them present themselves as real adults, not as their personas. I hated how hard they clung to dinof and ap. I wanted dan to rock his natural curly hair and Phil to ditch the god awful fringe (sorry to all the fringe lovers out there, it just made a part of me cringe every time). I wanted the totally false angel bean Lester brand to disappear. I wanted them to be able to not walk on egg shells around phan. And that has all come to pass and it’s so wonderful??? This video was amazing and better than anything I could have expected. I watched it in a state of shock.

(Edited to say that wanting all that was partly selfish, but mostly because it always seemed to me that there was a strong dissonance between them and their brand, and that was always a point of tension between them and their audience as well as just keeping them held back career wise...if that makes sense)

I’m thinking that they want to get to a state where they know we know about their relationship, but there is a mutual understanding that it’s something that they might reference once in a while but will never be something they really share with us. I don’t see how they could get to that point without explicit confirmation of their relationship, but damn if this video didn’t move them closer. I’ve said this about so many of their videos lately, but if this was my first ever dnp video, I would 100% assume that they would were together.
Speedygonz33
squish

They went to Manchester last week based on the selfie they took with the fan at the train station they first met. I wonder why they didn’t film there also...
Speedygonz33
squish

Also just rewatched the video with my FBI tinfoil hat on and realized that they have A LOT of candles. Wonder when Dan will FINALLY give us what we truly want
knq
lava lamp

It's wonderful to see everyone so happy with the video! There's so much to react to, I'm going to make a list like you all:

PINOF 1 Reaction: DIDN'T WANT IT, got it anyway. I appreciate how Phil tempers Dan's natural criticism. I especially appreciate Phil's "Are you ready for a cringe attack or are you okay?" That's just… very sweet. I think Phil is more sentimental about their early content like most of the fandom is, while Dan can't help being critical. So Phil's acknowledging Dan's natural 'cringe' reaction seems honest and kind in a way I'm having a hard time articulating? It's how well they know each other (of course they do) and to me it's also a gentle reminder to the audience that "Dan's gonna Dan." Having said that, he wasn't nearly as critical as he usually is of his own content; Phil being next to him, and also being a part of the video, definitely tempers that.

Clothes swap: "Is that a compliment?/I'm not sure either." <3 I feel like Dan was trying for sarcasm but just ended up admiring.

I noticed the noise, which sounded like a door closing. My guess is it's the dog's owner who also filmed dnp together later in the video (13:05). Phil said the dog's name was 'Bow-ee' or something that sounds like that. Do we know this dog, oh great repository of information that is IDB?

Yoga: Just about every part of that looked like it had to hurt. Dan's feet on Phil's lower back looks… really not like a good idea. Same for his head coming up between Phil's legs.

10:30 -- I believe that is Dan's third 'staring directly into the camera, not joking or smiling or blinking, while saying something related to (his) sexuality' this year, the first being in his truth video and the second in Phil's Instagram video after Dan makes an innuendo and Phil says 'Don't!' Interesting that it was about Phil's sexuality (or sexual preference) this time.

I find Dan's challenging the camera this way really interesting. There's obviously a great deal of speculation and projection on my part, but these moments last too long and feel too careful on Dan's part to be accidental. They remind me of the beginning of his depression video, where he verbally scolds himself for wanting to laugh after he says he has depression. I take these looks in the same way--he's standing behind his words (even if he's going to shrink back when faced with public reaction later), trying to appear unaffected and unashamed, and intentionally refusing to make a joke where he usually would.

DOGS: All we really care about. I love the footage, but I am CRUSHED to learn that Phil is allergic to both dogs and cats. That's a hard life, man. Then Dan sort of elbows him after they talk about not getting a dog and says "Maybe one day I'll deserve one."

Is that what he says? 13:27? Anyone with better hearing?

Because man, nobody deserves dogs. Dogs are too good for this world. Dogs exist and we are blessed with their presence.
maelstrom
tol bean

this video .... oh man. so many fucking things i didn't even know i wanted this badly. the manchester part was so sweet, especially the little callback to "in his own little world." it makes me wonder if deppy sometimes go back and watch those older ditl videos? i watched phil saying fuck way more times than i'd like to admit. and the ending where they were talking about the tour made me really excited about it for the first time since my sister and i bought our tickets. dnp shocking each other, doing audience requests, dan playing piano???? can't fuckin wait holy shit
starwatersong
phabergé

Just noticed that Dan bleeps himself swearing at 1:52, which amuses me.

Edited to say: Actually, I think the only unbleeped swear is Phil’s!
Last edited by starwatersong on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

new avi, who dis?

anyone else notice the subtle music during the manchester part? ye olde popin' cookin' music? they're really trying to give us all heart failure.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I'm glad I turned off my phone when the video wasn't up and it was bed time, and watched it in the morning. I would have been way too giddy to sleep :D But I did have some weird yoga dreams.

Not much to add; I agree that the video is amazing and I'll rewatch it in a moment.

My only problem is the prospect of singing/rapping on tour—idk why but stuff like that (Yasuhati, sudden singing in movies, etc.) makes me so uncomfortable. Even as a kid I knew how to fast-forward those Disney VHSs. So if you see someone in Amsterdam suddenly hiding under their seat and covering their ears, that's probably me :oops:
thesadassassin
dank meme

starwatersong wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:17 am Just noticed that Dan bleeps himself swearing at 1:52, which amuses me.

Edited to say: Actually, I think the only unbleeped swear is Phil’s!
i noticed that sometimes when dan said shit, it got bleeped and other times it didnt.
Flomy
sofa crease

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:37 am My only problem is the prospect of singing/rapping on tour—idk why but stuff like that (Yasuhati, sudden singing in movies, etc.) makes me so uncomfortable. Even as a kid I knew how to fast-forward those Disney VHSs. So if you see someone in Amsterdam suddenly hiding under their seat and covering their ears, that's probably me :oops:
I feel you, that was also my least favourite announcement in the video lol. I'll be at the Amsterdam shows too, so we can hide together.

Other than that, it was a great video. I only got to watch it one time, but when I'm off today I am going to to watch the heck out of that!

I love to come on this website to be reassured about those little comments Dan made after the dog bit. I really am a pessimist and I could linger on that 1 comment forever while the whole video kind of is one big confirmation of their commitment to eachother. I know it's stupid and I hate to think like this but I can't help myself. (I was that kid who would be upset about that one bad grade for a long time while I also had 100 good ones) :shrug: Though after reading all your comments, it's easier for me to focus on everything else that's there. Thanks guys. :mrgreen:
smartcookie
drama llama

This video was so good that when I played it for my newly sown seedlings they immediately began to flourish and before the video came to an end I could harvest the biggest vegetables there ever was. True story

Okay, well, no, but almost. Perhaps the best video they’ve done since I joined this fandom, at the very least. I mean, I even actually immediately rewatched it, that has NEVER happened before. Ground breaking.
Can’t say I personally picked up on the end of an era feeling, but that might just have been me being delirious with joy. Cringed immensely at the pinof reaction, but even that was much less horrible than I had expected. Phil swearing made my day, week, month, year, life! It made me happier than getting accepted to my dream secondary school (well, no but almost)
I’m more excited for tiit than ever!
everything sucks forever
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

I don’t have brainpower right now to express how great this video was, just to say that it was amazing and made my heart sing.

I’m left admiring not only the video itself but the meta. They gave us what we wanted on their terms. We got a ditl without it being a full ditl, an acknowledgement of demon phandom (“top or bottom Phil?” *pointed 5 minutes eye contact with camera, Dan ends up on bottom*), and more angles on the new apartment without getting a full apartment tour.

All in all A* 11/10 video :stan:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Rewatching and I can't believe Phil said "I'm dogging" :rofl:
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
autumnhearth
senpai

It’s 5 am. I can’t fall back asleep, because this video is just buzzing around my brain. I’ll probably do timestamps later. But for for now a few replies to things said here.

While I hate top/bottom discourse, I love how they handled this. Dan’s posture while staring at the camera read as a challenge to me, like he was saying “and what?” Phil, keeping it practical said in this case bottoming looked easier. But guess what? It wasn’t and they switched. Which just makes me feel vindicated for all those times I cringed from seeing asks or comments on my friend’s fics saying they only want to read Dan bottoming. F off. Like yes, fan fiction and real life are two different things (though I do like realistic fic) and yes people can have preferences (both readers and people engaging in sex). But D&P are real people with real sex lives (that we are only just now starting to hear about for whatever reason, even though we should never feel entitled to know anything) and real people generally don’t just stick to the same roles. Also sex isn’t just about penetration, etc, etc. *steps off soap box*

The door slam. I don’t think this had to be from a third party. Like they are both moving toward the room they change in, away from another room that they may have grabbed some clothes from? And that door is closed when we see it. Also I’m glad they filmed there. The lighting is pretty and well, with the two flats theory, this would be one of the spaces they live in, not a set like where Phil’s Viewers Choose My Outfit, where Phil literally changed in Dan’s glass closet/dinof filming area. Where as in this one it seems they changed in a bedroom. Maybe their bedroom. It’s a small thing, a very subtle, unconfirmed thing, but it feels more genuine. Also we’ve seen this space a couple times before, near the beginning of the deleted Tinder spon and whichever video Dan pretended to destroy his laptop in (was that Memes?)

Speaking of sets. Woah AmazingPhil room, housing all the props! Odd how TATINOF props are popping up all of a sudden (question mark block in the gaming room, giant Sharpie and fake cactus in the AP room as well as that big P). It’s never felt less like a bedroom. And Dan asks Phil why are we in here? I love character growth. Or growth away from being characters. But am I going to have to hop off the moving train? Idk.

I think that’s all for now. Going to try to get a bit more shut eye. Phan math is still bothering me quite a bit. Might have to make a post breaking it down with all the pinof dates and such. Oh hell here you go:

Pinof 1: filmed Oct 20th, 2009 = 0 years and 1 day after meeting irl (uploaded Oct 25th, but that’s so much less exciting a thing to remember)
Pinof 2: posted May 28th, 2009 = 6 months and a few days after pinof 1 (those two nerds just couldn’t fucking wait, even though they had just done AmazingDan)
Pinof 3: posted Nov 1st, 2011 = 2 years and 1 week after pinof 1, but a whole year and a half after pinof 2. (University and existential crises really took their toll. This also refutes Dan’s claim that they filmed two one year and that’s why there are extra/why he can’t do math. I mean yeah 1 & 2 were less than 365 day’s apart, half in fact, but 3 brings the universe back into balance)
Pinof 4: posted Sept 12th, 2012 = 2 years, 10 months and fuck my brain is tired and not actually great at math, but better than those two losers days after pinof 1 (why was this up in September? In need of something to appease the fans? Dan claimed this would be the best ever. It is my least favorite.)
Pinof 5: posted Nov 22, 2013 = 4 years and about a month after the original (the dullest imo, but less painful. Maybe one day I’ll get over it)
Pinof 6: posted Nov 6, 2014 = 5 years and a couple weeks after the original (things get better, they really do)
Pinof 7: posted Nov 29, 2015 = 6 years, one month and a few days after the original (good content)
Pinof 8: Nov 29, 2016 = 7 years, one month and look at the regular uploading schedule, days after the original (and by this time Dan is confident in saying “in November like it always is”)
Pinof 9: Nov 24, 2017 = 8 years and about a month after the original (my first one in the phandom)
Pinof 10: Nov ?, 2018 = 9 years after the original (see how Pinof 10 does not equal 10 years? DO YOU SEE???)
Pinof 11: sometime in 2019, probably November = yes, then you can finally say it’s been 10 years since the original pinof, you dorks

This is just the way anniversaries and birthdays work. You haven’t been together a year the day after you met and a baby isn’t one year old the day after it’s born. Always remember to subtract a year. Goodnight/morning :ribena:
SHITiveHITtheFANdom
butt chair

Tumblr is such a slut for Dan and Phil I stg :roll: :lol: but actually I was scrolling through the tags and this vid is causing a lot of people to buy tickets to ii and bringing in a lot of new people to the Phandom :o to which I can only cackle 'Yes fresh blood! The poor sods :ghostclaps: :devious: '
Fazbaz
dank meme

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am This is just the way anniversaries and birthdays work. You haven’t been together a year the day after you met and a baby isn’t one year old the day after it’s born. Always remember to subtract a year. Goodnight/morning :ribena:
If you listen closely you can actually hear Dan saying ‘that’s 10 years next years’ so I think they are aware of that and just say it out of laziness :)
liola
rankussy

Fazbaz wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am
autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:21 am This is just the way anniversaries and birthdays work. You haven’t been together a year the day after you met and a baby isn’t one year old the day after it’s born. Always remember to subtract a year. Goodnight/morning :ribena:
If you listen closely you can actually hear Dan saying ‘that’s 10 years next years’ so I think they are aware of that and just say it out of laziness :)
Or maybe it's also that is just so obvious to them that they'll reach 10 years together because they have no desire to separate and after a while together years just start tying together ^^^
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

liola wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 am
Fazbaz wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:00 am
Or maybe it's also that is just so obvious to them that they'll reach 10 years together because they have no desire to separate and after a while together years just start tying together ^^^
Huh. I missed that. Guess I’ll just have to watch it again (not that I wasn’t planning on it anyway). They also say “ten years later” in the Manchester bit, which the Manchester DITL was six years ago, but if they are referring to meeting, then again 8 and a half. But hey if they want to round up or just think about being together for a decade, who am I to deny love? I’ll try to be less cranky and pedantic.

Another thing re door slam. I doubt they left the dog owner alone while they filmed themselves playing dress up. It’s clear they were each behind the camera during the other’s modeling parts. The dog could have come over earlier, later, or on a different day entirely.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I loved Dan's new video! The dog part was a highlight but it just was generally very lovely and nice. I really like that they didn't act embarrassed over PINOF 1 at all and even said it still held up and we got a bit of background information on the filming of it, I also liked the trip to Manchester a lot. Both parts felt like this nostalgic but also happy nod to their past without any of the cringe or embarrassment I was kind of expecting, that was a nice surprise.

Door slam: I mean, it could have also just have been a window or door slamming shut in the wind or not even a door slam at all but the dog knocking something over. It could have been anything really, I wouldn't think too much about it. (I think it's unlikely it was a person though because who goes around slamming doors when they know someone is filming?)