Dan & Phil Part 71: ty ly bb

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

lefthandedism wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm One wonders where Phil's jeans were but, aw, woodlice are cute (and really good for the garden!). My kid loved them as a child and called them "pillow bugs" (one of their common names is "pill bug" because they roll up into a ball).
We called them potato bugs and roly-polys. Apparently in Reading, England their common name is cheeselog :lol: (yeah I’m keeping this totally relevant)

Oh shoot top of the page. Umm here:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Now that I've gotten a bit more a handle on what parts of the show are worth preserving, I'm doing a little construction on the transcripts page. (Don't think there's anything here that's spoilery unless you are so hardcore about spoilers that you haven't listened to Dan or Phil talk about the show, but just in case.)
- I've stopped writing down the survey results, because while they do vary show to show I just don't think it's something people are dying to see and it means I don't have to listen to that part of the show every single time.
- I'll be going back and adding their show opening intro banter for every show. Sometimes it's not all that interesting, but it is generally tailored to each town and the idea of only putting it sometimes but not every time was kind of annoying me.
- I'll be adding the actual dialogue from the Truth Bombs segments to the first few shows where I only gave their summarized answer before.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm Now that I've gotten a bit more a handle on what parts of the show are worth preserving, I'm doing a little construction on the transcripts page.
- I've stopped writing down the survey results, because while they do vary show to show I just don't think it's something people are dying to see and it means I don't have to listen to that part of the show every single time.
- I'll be going back and adding their show opening intro banter for every show. Sometimes it's not all that interesting, but it is generally tailored to each town and the idea of only putting it sometimes but not every time was kind of annoying me.
- I'll be adding the actual dialogue from the Truth Bombs segments to the first few shows where I only gave their summarized answer before.
just a daily reminder that you're a blessing to the fandom

seriously, thanks so much for doing all this
I don't care about the survey results so that's a good part to skip, but I am curious about who's getting 'sacrificed' more often. Is it fairly even at all, or mostly one-sided? I'm assuming dan gets picked more, but I could be wrong
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm Now that I've gotten a bit more a handle on what parts of the show are worth preserving, I'm doing a little construction on the transcripts page.

I don't care about the survey results so that's a good part to skip, but I am curious about who's getting 'sacrificed' more often. Is it fairly even at all, or mostly one-sided? I'm assuming dan gets picked more, but I could be wrong
It's Dan most of the time, but I can definitely include a line about who got sacrificed!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:44 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:42 pm

It's Dan most of the time, but I can definitely include a line about who got sacrificed!
awesome. If you're skipping listening to that whole section then don't worry about it, but if you do hear it then it could be interesting to note
alien
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:32 pm Now that I've gotten a bit more a handle on what parts of the show are worth preserving, I'm doing a little construction on the transcripts page. (Don't think there's anything here that's spoilery unless you are so hardcore about spoilers that you haven't listened to Dan or Phil talk about the show, but just in case.)
I greatly appreciate you doing all of this (but would totally understand if you got annoyed with doing it and stopped) and yeah idgaf about the survey results lol. But I do love reading the rest of it anytime there's new posts up!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

have dnp been behind some bushes again today?? lmao
speaking of woodlouse.. when i was a 2 years old, those little guys were everywhere in my house and i treated them like my friends. they're like little land crustaceans!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
knq
lava lamp

Wait, a woodlouse is just a roly-poly? That makes it sound so sinister! Roly-polys are cute as shit.
I too am not interested in the survey stats but would like to read their opening conversations, even if they’re nothing special.

Phil was sacrificed at the second MK show and a recent evening show (liverpool maybe) which means Dan’s been sacrificed 14 times? :lol: I tend to think his ‘I suffer for your entertainment I know you love it’ thing is an unwarranted projection of his masochism on the audience, but eh, maybe not.
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

autumnhearth wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:08 pm
lefthandedism wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 pm One wonders where Phil's jeans were but, aw, woodlice are cute (and really good for the garden!). My kid loved them as a child and called them "pillow bugs" (one of their common names is "pill bug" because they roll up into a ball).
We called them potato bugs and roly-polys. Apparently in Reading, England their common name is cheeselog :lol: (yeah I’m keeping this totally relevant)
Popping on 5 hours later to say as someone who comes from near Reading, I've never heard them be called cheeselogs in day to day conversation! Woodlice is definitely the standard around there, and they're sometimes called chizzlepigs/similar as well.
autumnhearth
senpai

Interesting to hear from real people rather than just a Wikipedia list. I see cheesy bobs, cheesy bug, chiggy pig, chucky pig so I can see where those all would evolve alongside chizzle. Hey were kinda talking about linguistics which Phil majored in. Personally I like granny grey from South Wales. I was sad to hear that my husband doesn't like woodlice, didn’t even as a kid. But he doesn’t really like any insects beyond bees, butterflies and lady bugs. I know D&P aren’t very fond of most creepy crawlies (I saw a neat moth bedspread the other that reminded me of Dan’s shirt. Kiddo wants a monochromatic room scheme) I wouldn’t go as far as wanting a plushie of them (see ditl in Japan ref), but I think they’re cute, at least the small ones we have here.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

In Dutch they're called 'pissebedden' which you can semi-directly translate into 'pee beds' so I hope y'all can imagine that by the name alone, 'cute' is the last thing I'd describe those things as :|

(Google tells me that people used to think that eating them could help people who had urinary problems, that's why they have that name.)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
greenergrass
stress mushroom

I just found this part of an old Phil liveshow that I'd never seen before (from Jan 2016) where he's talking about planning the best time to leave the movie theater for a pee break so that he doesn't disturb the other people in the theater. He says how he's waiting for half an hour for the perfect time to leave, and then gives an explanation of how he's worked out the best time to sneak out of the theater. It's a good example of his anxieties and how much he worries about these little things that a lot of people probably wouldn't give much of a second thought about (and yep that's why this was an interesting watch no other reason yep).

The full story is about from 5:45-9:00:

sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

strangely, i don't think i've ever seen one of those bugs and i don't have a name for them either. i know that in the accent tag there's a question about what you call them and it's always confused me! i wonder if they don't exist where i live or if i'm just sheltered. :shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 am I just found this part of an old Phil liveshow that I'd never seen before (from Jan 2016) where he's talking about planning the best time to leave the movie theater for a pee break so that he doesn't disturb the other people in the theater. He says how he's waiting for half an hour for the perfect time to leave, and then gives an explanation of how he's worked out the best time to sneak out of the theater. It's a good example of his anxieties and how much he worries about these little things that a lot of people probably wouldn't give much of a second thought about (and yep that's why this was an interesting watch no other reason yep).

Okay first of all that was a really interesting clip, and not one I've seen brought up that often when talking about Phil and his anxieties! And second of all I can guess what you need that for and I approve.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and ask this question at the risk of potentially coming off incredibly forgetful.

In Phil's newest video, he shows a clip of himself fixing his hair, presumably before filming a video. Except I don't recognize the setting at all.

source

It looks exactly like the hotel Dan filmed "How To Survive Exams" in (same curtains, same wall, same chair), but... I don't recall Phil ever posting a video of himself in said hotel.

So, what I'm asking is.... Does anyone recognize what video that's from? Or is it something Phil filmed but never posted? And if so, can we bother him for that #secretcontent?
knq
lava lamp

whatdoiknow wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:28 am I just found this part of an old Phil liveshow that I'd never seen before (from Jan 2016) where he's talking about planning the best time to leave the movie theater for a pee break so that he doesn't disturb the other people in the theater. He says how he's waiting for half an hour for the perfect time to leave, and then gives an explanation of how he's worked out the best time to sneak out of the theater. It's a good example of his anxieties and how much he worries about these little things that a lot of people probably wouldn't give much of a second thought about (and yep that's why this was an interesting watch no other reason yep).

I think I read a 10k fic based on those 3 minutes of Phil's liveshow before I was even in this fandom and I've never even seen the ls before. :lol:

I don't relate on a personal level to Phil all that much generally, but whenever he tells a story about some experience commonly associated with social anxiety I feel exposed.

What I think is interesting about Phil, and what you don't see a lot, is that while he has a shy bladder, is (or used to be) anxious about using the telephone, and has described other experiences common to people with social anxiety, he's not shy about talking about it. Phil tells a story about his shy bladder and Dan is the one who acts embarrassed. It's an interesting dynamic.

I could end most things I say about dnp with that statement really.

@rizzo I was wondering the same thing! I skimmed through Phil's videos before and didn't see that background in the thumbnails. It's sort of jarring to see frowny Phil. That's definitely not his 'I'm filming a video now!' expression, so why is he waving?
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

rizzo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 am Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and ask this question at the risk of potentially coming off incredibly forgetful.

In Phil's newest video, he shows a clip of himself fixing his hair, presumably before filming a video. Except I don't recognize the setting at all.

source

It looks exactly like the hotel Dan filmed "How To Survive Exams" in (same curtains, same wall, same chair), but... I don't recall Phil ever posting a video of himself in said hotel.

So, what I'm asking is.... Does anyone recognize what video that's from? Or is it something Phil filmed but never posted? And if so, can we bother him for that #secretcontent?
I was literally just thinking about this clip a few hours ago and it’s been bothering me because, I’m pretty sure it’s just an outtake/raw footage from “how to survive exams” except, for some odd reason, it’s flipped?? Phil’s fringe normally went to the left but in this clip it’s on the right. But then this leaves me with even more questions, there’s gotta be a shit ton of raw footage clips of fringe checks? Why would he use a clip from a dan video he basically helped film/set up... from 2016??? You cannot tell me that was the only raw footage of a fringe check he could find on both their laptops? I don’t know why it’s bothering me? Because it’s honestly not that big of a deal :shrug: I think it’s more of the fact that if it’s clearly raw footage, why would you flip it?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
KatjaZoe
sad dimple

confusedpanda wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:52 am
rizzo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 am
Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and ask this question at the risk of potentially coming off incredibly forgetful.

source

I was literally just thinking about this clip a few hours ago and it’s been bothering me because, I’m pretty sure it’s just an outtake/raw footage from “how to survive exams” except, for some odd reason, it’s flipped?? Phil’s fringe normally went to the left but in this clip it’s on the right. But then this leaves me with even more questions, there’s gotta be a shit ton of raw footage clips of fringe checks? Why would he use a clip from a dan video he basically helped film/set up... from 2016??? You cannot tell me that was the only raw footage of a fringe check he could find on both their laptops? I don’t know why it’s bothering me? Because it’s honestly not that big of a deal :shrug: I think it’s more of the fact that if it’s clearly raw footage, why would you flip it?
The only explanations i can think of right now that kinda make sense to me:
1. they got one of those portable storage drive thingies (why yes i do know electronics terms of course :-? ) for their video footage last tour and decided to bring it along again this time and the footage was still on there. I know literally nothing about making videos or anything like that so idk if this is even reasonable but it made sense in my head lol
2. Maybe this is a time that really stood out to him as not liking the way his fringe looked or that it bothered him a lot this particular time?
Other than that I have no idea it does seem super random

Also I feel left out because i don't get what everyone is wink-wink-nudge-nudging about with the Phil live show above??? All i can focus on is how weird he pronounces the word urinal :lol:
"He's the guy with his flesh on show. What a hoe.
That's. Our. Dan."
:dogue: :dogue: :dogue:
sweetlyphan
delia smith

rizzo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 am Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and ask this question at the risk of potentially coming off incredibly forgetful.

source

I think it's the same hotel room as "How To Survive Exams". I went back to check, Phil didn't post a video from that hotel room. The only other video filmed in a US hotel was Undertale #5.
:prideheart2:
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

sugar wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 am strangely, i don't think i've ever seen one of those bugs and i don't have a name for them either. i know that in the accent tag there's a question about what you call them and it's always confused me! i wonder if they don't exist where i live or if i'm just sheltered. :shrug:

I think they are about everywhere around the globe. Another species that at least in part thanks it's success to the spread of habitat and plentiful amount of humans .

The video is quite puzzling. My first idea would be that it's a small piece of footage of a Phil clip that just never saw the daylight. It would be strange to me that Phil shot a video about his hair change so long ago, when he was still rocking the fringe, and they just kept it on a portable storage unit when it is such a topical video to shoot at this moment and time where so many people are talking about his new hairstyle.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

I think it's just a clip of a video Phil wanted to film and then either didn't finish filming or just didn't feel like posting it right after. The room is indeed the same one where Dan filmed so it was during that same time, and I don't wanna be all susbitches but eh, the flipping might just be that he's trying to not make it as obvious that it is indeed the exact same room :lol:

Wonder how long it's gonna take before they post the Sims video? We got basically no instagram story yesterday so I'm feeling a bit of withdrawals already
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

Um... thanks for sharing?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

watsonian wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 am I think I read a 10k fic based on those 3 minutes of Phil's liveshow before I was even in this fandom and I've never even seen the ls before. :lol:
I think that fic was actually after a more recent (similar) experience. If not, please link the fic you're talking about lol

What I think is interesting about Phil, and what you don't see a lot, is that while he has a shy bladder, is (or used to be) anxious about using the telephone, and has described other experiences common to people with social anxiety, he's not shy about talking about it. Phil tells a story about his shy bladder and Dan is the one who acts embarrassed. It's an interesting dynamic.
I've noticed that too. It's interesting. I mean, I have theories about the last part but yeah

and @alittledizzy lol glad you approve

edit: wow, thanks for staying on topic there phil
autumnhearth
senpai

KatjaZoe wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 6:29 am
confusedpanda wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:52 am
rizzo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:50 am

source

The only explanations i can think of right now that kinda make sense to me:
1. they got one of those portable storage drive thingies (why yes i do know electronics terms of course :-? ) for their video footage last tour and decided to bring it along again this time and the footage was still on there. I know literally nothing about making videos or anything like that so idk if this is even reasonable but it made sense in my head lol
2. Maybe this is a time that really stood out to him as not liking the way his fringe looked or that it bothered him a lot this particular time?
Other than that I have no idea it does seem super random

Also I feel left out because i don't get what everyone is wink-wink-nudge-nudging about with the Phil live show above??? All i can focus on is how weird he pronounces the word urinal :lol:
Those two things make the most sense to me, especially given the shirt Phil is wearing. I wonder if they were both originally planning on giving exam advice or if Phil was just going to be a character in a skit. Another subject that intrigues me. It seems like Dan and Phil only appear in each other’s videos when necessary. Either physically like in the library scuffle in Dan’s University video or when they are portraying themselves. Otherwise whoever’s video it is tends to play all the characters if there are skits. Just something I find funny.

Omg that Phil’s Instastory, the timing. :lol: @KatjaZoe that should give you a hint to the subject of the winking and nudging.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie