Dan & Phil Part 73: my furry bf

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fieldoflovers
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

idk if you all have noticed but youtube has a new feature called "premiere" where basically the creator can set it for an hour before the release of a video and its like a 'room' where people can talk to each other and then all of them watch it together. Do you guys think dnp would use a feature like this? I mean they kind of have the community engagement but it might increase views? idk i found it interesting and i saw jacksfilms use it today though i didn't care enough to join the room

Edit: my first time being top of the page woo
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

KatjaZoe wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 am okay now i can literally only see mpreg written on that card from phil :lol:

Also not completely deppy related, but i randomly met Trixie Mattel tonight while i was at work (shes staying at the hotel i work at tonight cause she has a show here tomorrow) and she's one of the only people i stan almost as much as deppy. I was actually able to remain calm and have a conversation with her so that gives me hope that i won't freak out too much meeting the boys at ii next month
(also trixie is soo sweet in person omg)
god i love that woman, i'm happy 4 u!
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
susan2
rainbow nerd

fieldoflovers wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 am idk if you all have noticed but youtube has a new feature called "premiere" where basically the creator can set it for an hour before the release of a video and its like a 'room' where people can talk to each other and then all of them watch it together. Do you guys think dnp would use a feature like this? I mean they kind of have the community engagement but it might increase views? idk i found it interesting and i saw jacksfilms use it today though i didn't care enough to join the room

Interesting! I could see them using it sporadically - for major videos - like the full show at the end of the tour. And it would definitely make sense for pre and post livestreams.

But, to me, it seems like a conversation that's already happening on other platforms (mostly Twitter) and YouTube is trying to move the conversation there instead to keep people on their platform. It may increase engagement, but everyone in the room would (a) already know the video is coming and (b) already be an intended viewer. Whereas the benefit of the chat happening on another platform, (e.g. Twitter) is that it markets the video and creator further as each person posts about it, spreading the word and potentially gathering more viewers. I've not seen much about it, or had any pop up yet, but I guess the idea is to create a shared community/viewing experience - which is a good idea and could be fun - it's definitely something I already do, for example reading the conversation happening on a hashtag whilst watching a tv series. I imagine it might work better for smaller communities tho, likely D+P's will be a waterfall of chat rather than a conversation. I assume there's also (as ever) going to be monetary motivation here - with people who pay getting highlighted in some way (like with sponsor badges), and perhaps additional space/time to place ads too(?)

I subscribe to 591 channels - I really don't need (or want!) to know in advance when a video is coming on each of them, that would be incredibly annoying. And the notification bell already tells me (or should!) when a video is live. So for 99% of content, I simply don't want to know about something that isn't available to watch yet. For live events and major videos...yes, I could see myself engaging with the hype of a pre-video and during-video community chat. Perhaps it might also work well for creators who upload regularly at a consistent time and become a place where their audience will gather. But there's also a danger with putting too much emphasis on the "premiere" aspect of a video release, in that if people miss it, they then might not be so inclined to go back and watch the video and instead start to view it as something that has passed/expired. The world moves so fast these days.

Has anyone used it?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I heard about the premiere thing, Hank Green posted a video about all the membership features

The point is for people to be there at the same time to watch a video and chat instead of watching it staggered like they do now. The Phandom is always early to liveshows and hangs around chatting before and afterwards so they'd mark good use of it, if Deps do, anyway.
starwatersong
phabergé

I’d like to see more Phandom on Rabbit — the app where multiple people can watch stuff together and chat.

I’d love to set up a time to do a rewatch of all the baking videos, or the Impossible Quiz. Or Pinofs.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Any mentions of Rize yet? Are they planning on giving it another shot tomorrow? I'm surprised at the lack of announcement, unless they just consider having said they'd do it in a week last Thursday the heads up. Rize itself doesn't seem to be trying to offer any reassurances about what they've done to bulk the system up.

Basically, can't wait to see them on YouNow tomorrow.
starwatersong wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm I’d like to see more Phandom on Rabbit — the app where multiple people can watch stuff together and chat.

I’d love to set up a time to do a rewatch of all the baking videos, or the Impossible Quiz. Or Pinofs.
I've seen a lot of small pockets of people watch things on Rabbit. Is there a limit on how many people it can support?
dancy
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:32 pm Any mentions of Rize yet? Are they planning on giving it another shot tomorrow? I'm surprised at the lack of announcement, unless they just consider having said they'd do it in a week last Thursday the heads up. Rize itself doesn't seem to be trying to offer any reassurances about what they've done to bulk the system up.

starwatersong wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm I’d like to see more Phandom on Rabbit — the app where multiple people can watch stuff together and chat.

I've seen a lot of small pockets of people watch things on Rabbit. Is there a limit on how many people it can support?
I believe the room limit recently got raised from 25 to 80 people.

Am I the only one who's like "Gosh, another liveshow already?". Just as I'd gotten used to infrequent liveshows after finding it a bit difficult to adjust to, they're gonna start doing them on a weekly basis again... or so they say. They've got a pretty tight schedule, especially in July with a show nearly every day and I can't really see them going live on those days when they've got to travel to venues, do M&G's and perform a show. I mean, maybe they will and the liveshows will just be on the short side but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having to cancel some weeks or do them on different days (their free days are mainly Mondays). Hopefully D&P will let us know when the next live show is (could be either today or tomorrow, I guess) and at what time it starts soon, not just an hour in advance.

Apparently it was said at yesterday's show that the boys don't have a tour bus yet, I wonder when that'll happen. D'you reckon they'll fly from Philly to Denver, considering it'd take a day to drive (according to Google Maps)?
autumnhearth
senpai

Defo think they’re flying to Denver.

As much as I hate the idea, I think they might not give advanced warning for some livestreams on Rize, that way there are less people to crash it.

Premiere sounds pretty cool, except for knowing what phan chats are like before ls makes it certain I would not want to participate. Also we don’t know where the show will go up, may not be YouTube at all.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Ready to screen record at a moment's notice then. Attempt #2 :roll:
liola
rankussy

Rize updated and now that I can finally access it they're on the other side of the world. Wonder what time they'll live stream? Hope they'll keep their whole audience in mind not just the U.S. peeps
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
hello9217
flower crown

:( no liveshow
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Booooo.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I knew it was a good decision not to get the Ryze app :mrgreen:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

hello9217 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:24 pm :( no liveshow
coming weeks? meaning they won't stream for the next couple of weeks, or we'll see them every week after this one? this tweet is more vague than dan.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ratlad wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:52 pm
hello9217 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:24 pm :( no liveshow
coming weeks? meaning they won't stream for the next couple of weeks, or we'll see them every week after this one? this tweet is more vague than dan.
I'm wondering if it's genuinely a schedule thing. Mondays are generally their "day off" - in July they have 9, 16, 23, and 30th all free. They only have two Wednesdays off during the month (4th and 18th). I wondered why July, by far their most packed month in terms of back to back shows, was the month they were deciding to kick this off. I can't even imagine they'll be in hotels for most of these days.
knq
lava lamp

The Rize progression from “a few minutes” to “new week” to “the coming weeks.” :lol:

Sounds like the technical people have been in contact with the social media people and they don’t have a solid timeline on when their app will be able to support thousands of people at once.

I bet we get weekly Rize livestreams in 2021.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i’m disappointed. i’ve basically been in the worst depression of my life the past few weeks and a nice joint liveshow would have been a pleasant distraction that i was looking forward to.

rize DID say last week that deppy would be back to stream this week so....it just has me wondering. are rize not confident yet that their servers can handle all of us and they’re putting it off until they are? did deppy just decide it didn’t work with their schedule this week? something else?

stories have been scarce lately too and...i just miss them!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

watsonian wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm The Rize progression from “a few minutes” to “new week” to “the coming weeks.” :lol:

Sounds like the technical people have been in contact with the social media people and they don’t have a solid timeline on when their app will be able to support thousands of people at once.

I definitely think this is a better route, though. A lot better for us/them/Dan and Phil's stress levels to not keep having to break specific promises to be live at a certain time.
liola
rankussy

sugar wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:52 pm i’m disappointed. i’ve basically been in the worst depression of my life the past few weeks and a nice joint liveshow would have been a pleasant distraction that i was looking forward to.

rize DID say last week that deppy would be back to stream this week so....it just has me wondering. are rize not confident yet that their servers can handle all of us and they’re putting it off until they are? did deppy just decide it didn’t work with their schedule this week? something else?

stories have been scarce lately too and...i just miss them!
Okay, same here. My mental health is not great today, I spent half the night a the ER being jealous of a friend that managed to get VIP while my anxiety stopped me, all I wanted was some live content as a distraction :( I know they're busy and I know Rize is def not ready for the phandom but damn I'm sad. I don't wanna entertain the idea they might go on YouNow because if they don't I'll just be disappointed sigh
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
human
dan hand trash

fieldoflovers wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 am idk if you all have noticed but youtube has a new feature called "premiere" where basically the creator can set it for an hour before the release of a video and its like a 'room' where people can talk to each other and then all of them watch it together. Do you guys think dnp would use a feature like this? I mean they kind of have the community engagement but it might increase views? idk i found it interesting and i saw jacksfilms use it today though i didn't care enough to join the room

Lol this sounds like the worst. Wtf planet do YouTube live on, do they think we all have nothing better to do than sit there for an hour waiting for uploads? I think they're getting the day-by-day life of the regular joe subscriber confused with the lifestyles of a minority of their creators, who just sit around lazing in bed eating pizza :roll:

I kinda think Dan would find this cringe and tell us he won't be doing it, and Phil just won't mention it at all haha. I hope I don't end up eating these words.
dancy
procrastinator

I don't wanna start complaining in advance (oh who am I kidding, I always complain) but I'm kinda not a fan of them leaving it up to Rize to let people know there won't be a live show today, nor of the fact that they promised weekly live shows when the chances are they won't end up doing that. It's not that D&P's inability to do them that frequently is something which bothers me, in fact I completely understand it, seeing as they have such a busy schedule and are unlikely to have good wifi most of the time. It has more to do with them having said they'll do something that isn't very realistic and of which you can already predict it probably won't happen. I could be wrong and they might just find a way to do liveshows every week after this anyway and I'll give them credit for that but it wouldn't be the first time they make some sort of promise they can't keep and don't communicate that well thus leading to disappointment.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

dancy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:02 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:32 pm Any mentions of Rize yet? Are they planning on giving it another shot tomorrow? I'm surprised at the lack of announcement, unless they just consider having said they'd do it in a week last Thursday the heads up. Rize itself doesn't seem to be trying to offer any reassurances about what they've done to bulk the system up.

I believe the room limit recently got raised from 25 to 80 people.
I actually considered group rewatches as a project for phandomgives with people donating per video.

I am working on a wider community idea tentatively called #phandomkindness for people who couldn't donate. If anyone would be open to hosting group rewatches that would be a great community activity.

I was also thinking people could do bake sales using the Dan and Phil recipes, do kind things for others, volunteer in person etc and tag it all. Then people who can't donate could feel part of it. I was also thinking people could do meetups (safely of course) as sometimes just meeting up with someone is a kindness.

Would this even work? Am I biting off more than I can chew? I was thinking the months between july-october or maybe just October in the leadup to Halloween baking (which they might not do).

Also post note- I am disappointed they didn't hop on younow or tweet about the lack of liveshow. I am laughing that rize is still not working, get than sponsorship money for no work boys.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
mm_sunny1993
spork

Don't really have much to add other than according to Sarah's ig story they are in Denver already at least if they are with her.
scientia
phabergé

Well, I hope they are enjoying it the heat as it is 99 degrees here today :sunshine: :sunshine:
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:31 pm
watsonian wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:50 pm The Rize progression from “a few minutes” to “new week” to “the coming weeks.” :lol:

I definitely think this is a better route, though. A lot better for us/them/Dan and Phil's stress levels to not keep having to break specific promises to be live at a certain time.
I agree with you there. I'm disappointed there won't be a liveshow today but not surprised. They're in somewhat of a difficult position, and although it's disappointing, I think it was a smart move to leave it up to Rize to to tell people what's up. They were careful not to say anything negative about Rize in their liveshow after it broke (to absolutely no one's surprise) so I can't imagine they want to come out and say that Rize isn't functional enough yet to do the weekly liveshows. Besides, it would just encourage people to ask why they don't do a YouNow instead, which I'm guessing isn't going to fulfill whatever contract they have with Rize.

I'm also wondering but far too lazy to go back and check--does anyone remember Dan or Phil mentioning "weekly" liveshows before Rize tweeted/blogged about it? I kind of wonder whether that's even what they agreed to, or whether when they said they wanted to "try" to do a liveshow each week they were just going along with what Rize had just published.

Sarah had time off after the European tour and is visiting her parents in Colorado. (I just watch her public IG stories but I still feel weird having that information?) I don't think she's met back up with dnp since before they came to the US.