Dan & Phil Part 77: getting that d........vitamin

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
phantastically-avg
sad dimple

LadyLackless wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I always imagined that the glass wall room at the end of the slounge is the AP set - could be wrong! there was one AP video where he grabs some blinds (was it the Instagram exposed one?) that looked similar to those on the glass wall. And until the “week in the life” video I didn’t realise that the baking kitchen was open plan with the slounge, which begs the question: why did they pick such a dark flat as the filming flat???
The glass door room is at the end - In some of Dans videos you can see the door/filing cabinet from the slounge. The blinds are for his window (looking out to the cherry blossom deck). There are other signs too, but that's the one that comes to mind first.
LadyLackless wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I have nothing to add to the discussion, I just love that #twoflats is the accepted truth around here now :lol:
LOL, I actually have a series of posts ready to drop on my tumblr laying all this out and why they have two. I've got floorplans I've drawn for all of the filming flat (based on their videos and backed up with screencaps/photos) and timestamped, and how it all fits together based on what we know. I'm hoping to do the same for the upstairs apartment, but I got a little lazy and haven't got round to it. Also, I'm still trying to decide if it goes past interesting and on to creepy!

But for your ref, here's a cut down part of the floorplan with glass door room, slounge, kitchen:

ETA: Oh great, my obsessiveness at the top of the page. Wonderful.
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

phantastically-avg wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:54 pm
LadyLackless wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I always imagined that the glass wall room at the end of the slounge is the AP set - could be wrong! there was one AP video where he grabs some blinds (was it the Instagram exposed one?) that looked similar to those on the glass wall. And until the “week in the life” video I didn’t realise that the baking kitchen was open plan with the slounge, which begs the question: why did they pick such a dark flat as the filming flat???
The glass door room is at the end - In some of Dans videos you can see the door/filing cabinet from the slounge. The blinds are for his window (looking out to the cherry blossom deck). There are other signs too, but that's the one that comes to mind first.
LadyLackless wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:29 pm I have nothing to add to the discussion, I just love that #twoflats is the accepted truth around here now :lol:
LOL, I actually have a series of posts ready to drop on my tumblr laying all this out and why they have two. I've got floorplans I've drawn for all of the filming flat (based on their videos and backed up with screencaps/photos) and timestamped, and how it all fits together based on what we know. I'm hoping to do the same for the upstairs apartment, but I got a little lazy and haven't got round to it. Also, I'm still trying to decide if it goes past interesting and on to creepy!

But for your ref, here's a cut down part of the floorplan with glass door room, slounge, kitchen:

ETA: Oh great, my obsessiveness at the top of the page. Wonderful.
Well that's one more tumblr I have open in a tab! I'm building their flat in the Sims so sign me up. :tu: Honestly I love flat layout theories. It helps that parts of their flat(s) are just baffling. Like, why the shit does the moon room have two types of curtains? And more importantly why are they both so ugly?
Ablissa
pastel persona

I really appreciate this discussion, and while I'm too tired to say anything interesting, I love all of your insights. I do think that the change in Phil is definitely not limited to just his hair, but for logistic reasons I agree that he probably won't change his filming location until they move. (Them moving is my fav subject to speculate about :D)

Also, the boys are editing again!
apathy
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:48 pm I also think wherever he ends up filming next will still retain the brightness and happiness that reads as childish to a lot of people. I actually do think that's a genuine reflection of Phil's personality, I don't think he views it as childish. I think there's room for him to incorporate more of who he is or recent reference items into the same general color scheme and aesthetic, though, and I think that's what we'll see happen eventually. (I'm also okay if he wants to lay the duvet cover to rest.)
This.
You are not actually required by law to only decorate in drab colors and have no mementos other than scented candles and tax forms after you turn 30. It’s ok to still find joy in bright colors and fandom trinkets and silly things. Why is that childish?

If someone wants to say it’s no longer what Phil likes, that’s 100% ok, you may be right, tastes change and all that, but can we not hype the no-fun-allowed-when-you’re-old idea?
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

This.
You are not actually required by law to only decorate in drab colors and have no mementos other than scented candles and tax forms after you turn 30. It’s ok to still find joy in bright colors and fandom trinkets and silly things. Why is that childish?

If someone wants to say it’s no longer what Phil likes, that’s 100% ok, you may be right, tastes change and all that, but can we not hype the no-fun-allowed-when-you’re-old idea?

Scented candles and tax forms? How did you know my bedroom aesthetic? Seriously, though, that line made me crack up. Thank you for that!
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sapienveneficus wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:11 pm
This.

Scented candles and tax forms? How did you know my bedroom aesthetic? Seriously, though, that line made me crack up. Thank you for that!
God damnit I literally looked to the right of me and on my bookshelf are two scented candles and three binders that hold all my tax forms. Look at me not practicing what I preach.

(JK I also have lots of My Little Pony toys and a shot glass case full of small toys and a shitload of stuffed otters. Best of both worlds. Not that taxes are the best of anything.)
Ablissa
pastel persona

apathy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:03 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:48 pm I also think wherever he ends up filming next will still retain the brightness and happiness that reads as childish to a lot of people. I actually do think that's a genuine reflection of Phil's personality, I don't think he views it as childish. I think there's room for him to incorporate more of who he is or recent reference items into the same general color scheme and aesthetic, though, and I think that's what we'll see happen eventually. (I'm also okay if he wants to lay the duvet cover to rest.)
This.

I'm too late to edit my post and I just want to agree with you, because I forgot to mention this in my previous post. Turning 30 doesn't magically change your personality into something else. I still like the same things I liked 10 years ago (and then some), my friends that are turning/have turned 30 do too. I still have posters, fairy lights and teddies in my bedroom and I don't give a damn if that's childish or not. (And scented candles too, but I have no idea where my tax forms are and that is really really bad tbh lol)

Phil has a sunny personality, he does genuinely enjoy his fandoms, his animal facts, even his (I'm sorry) plants. Of course he plays it up for the camera and some of the things he does are all part of the brand, but he'll never be the type of youtuber that Dan tries to be, they will always be different - that's one of the reasons they work so well together in collabs. I can't see him changing his video format drastically. I do hope he may do a little more sit down and chat type of videos, but I still can't see him being all serious and existential. I think he will continue to approach most topics with a smile.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

This.

I was one of those who said that Phil's bedroom looks childish and maybe 'childish' was the wrong adjective but I mostly said that because especially the duvet reminds me of his younger-self and his AmazingPhil persona and I feel like that's no longer a reflection of who he is and what he likes. Same for the stage props and all of that. I definitely agree that Phil will always be someone who likes bright and quirky things because they're part of his personality and I relate because I'm the same - hell, I still have various posters and a picture of the Spice Girls hung up on my bedroom wall and I'm 27 - but I also think that if he could rearrange his filming space, it would be a bit different from his current one.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

oof, i definitely don't think anyone should just "grow out" of cute, colourful soft things! i do think phil genuinely enjoys colours and emojis and stuffed animals, there's nothing wrong with that at all! my parents collect beanie boos that my dad makes my mom keep on her dresser cause it's longer and can fit more. (it was originally my dad's collection but my mom was the one buying them for him so i guess she just took custody of them as well)
i will probably still collect clown dolls in 10 years! the expectation to "outgrow" things that interest you is lame.
the only thing that really seems off to me is the bed and the very small room. although my room is smaller than his, i can't imagine being 6ft2 and pretending to sleep in a small room with a smaller bed. especially if your mate has a bathroom in his..
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:28 pm
This.

I was one of those who said that Phil's bedroom looks childish and maybe 'childish' was the wrong adjective but I mostly said that because especially the duvet reminds me of his younger-self and his AmazingPhil persona and I feel like that's no longer a reflection of who he is and what he likes. Same for the stage props and all of that. I definitely agree that Phil will always be someone who likes bright and quirky things because they're part of his personality and I relate because I'm the same - hell, I still have various posters and a picture of the Spice Girls hung up on my bedroom wall and I'm 27 - but I also think that if he could rearrange his filming space, it would be a bit different from his current one.
I agree with what you're saying here. I think that's part of why I tacked letting the duvet cover go onto my post, I didn't really think it out in depth but I do feel like he can retain a sense of brightness and whimsy in his aesthetic with updates that proves he's not trying to mimic the person he was (on camera or off) in 2012, or really any year prior to this year. The patterned duvet cover does kind of fit in the same box as his fringe to me.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

What a pleasant surprise! And a younow stream so i don't think anyone has to record it, bless
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I guess Rize is dead now that the tour is over?Not that I'm complaining, it'll be nice to finally see Phil's face again!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Huh. Younow. Interesting, and definitely not complaining about that.

I'm super enjoying this discussion too! I do have to agree that while I'm interested in seeing where Phil is going to take his content, I'm now not sure he would do any set changes until they move again. And on the topic of a "childish" background, I also agree that it wouldn't feel like Phil unless there were some bright colours and knickknacks (lol at the tax receipts and candles tho).
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
autumnhearth
senpai

Yay YouNow! Also this:
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm
glitterintheair wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:28 pm
This.

I agree with what you're saying here. I think that's part of why I tacked letting the duvet cover go onto my post, I didn't really think it out in depth but I do feel like he can retain a sense of brightness and whimsy in his aesthetic with updates that proves he's not trying to mimic the person he was (on camera or off) in 2012, or really any year prior to this year. The patterned duvet cover does kind of fit in the same box as his fringe to me.
Like the fringe, his bedspread is something he talked about changing relatively early in his AP career, ended up keeping the same because people liked it or were attached to it, and then somehow just kept it that way for the next 8 years or so, despite what ‘people like’ changing. I can see him filming from a different location at some point, but probably not until they move. They set up the whole AP room just for filming so I’d be surprised if Phil stopped using it.

... unless they’ve already moved. Have we actually seen photos of the flat since their return? :tinfoil:

And now they’re about to go on Rize. Why is it always during my statistics course?

WAIT it’s YouNow? Do we still have the people in the fandom who regularly record YouNows? I never tried to help recording until Rize so I know YouNow is supposed to be easier but I’m concerned by change anyway.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I don't really care about what room Phil films in but some change in interior design would be nice. I have kinda started hating that duvet and the emoji and play button pillow things really do belong in 2013 imo.

But more than anything I'm begging on my knees for him to change the lighting. That shit gives me a headache when I even look at a video for only 5 seconds. 'Corpse trying to blend into a wall' is just not a look, especially considering he's probably going for the opposite effect by using the light washing out his facial features to make himself look younger. Not that he's wrinkly, there are just more signs of age on his face in photos taken in natural light and stuff. It's fine if he doesn't wanna go quite that far (who does tbh?) but maybe chill it a bit. And everything would look a lot less like the Disney Channel if he made the lightning just a bit warmer and softer. Basically he should match his lighting to his personality just like Dan did (dramatic and gloomy). :D

Please Phil. Save my head from excruciating pain this PINOF season.

Oh cool. YouNow. The slightly less broken thing! :babuse: :babuse: :babuse:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

man...a younow stream, its been so long ive already forgotten how it is. there should be a youtube mirror to this right? since i dont actually have the app...maybe id finally be able to watch their liveshows LIVE after many months
"you are next to me in my life"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Wow this tweet nails it.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

From the liveshow:

"we'll put that on the back" after Phil's review of it being great. On the back? Does that mean there is a PHYSICAL COPY. Oh god I hope so.

Alsooooo, yay for being back on younow :love2:
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
tigertatze
living flop

"I'm a lesbian, hi" idk why that cracked me up so much :rofl:
#nohetero
sonicgreen
woodland creature

a cute 30 minutes, im looking forward to rewatching already. notable things include: dan's silly faces while phil would talk, the debate over whether the spiderman thing was a magnet or badge, and all the group chat shout outs wow.
autumnhearth
senpai

Yes please Christmas Baking! Though the more baking the better! Phil is ready to get in the AP zone, whatever zone that might be. How appropriate. Also the app closed out twice on me, rude!
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

tigertatze wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:46 pm "I'm a lesbian, hi" idk why that cracked me up so much :rofl:
same i heard that but i was still reeling from "i love you but im hungry" before that (tho after about 2 seconds i realized he was talking to the audience and not the tall man dad beside him)

anywaus wow i shoudl just engrave "i love being a thirdwheel" to my gravestone at this point
"you are next to me in my life"
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

POSSIBLE CHRISTMAS BAKING YOU GUYS, DIDN'T WE TALK ABOUT THIS BEFORE?!
also, not sure if i heard wrong but...
chat: do you miss being on tour?
phil: i miss having my own bed
(something along those lines) ??? did anyone else catch that ? am i hearing things?
the way phil was talking about a new vid sounded ,,,very calm? refreshing? dunno!
the way dan addresses a new dinof like it is something that means a lot to him and he's testing the waters or mentally preparing himself? that or i could just be in A Mood.

i missed the first 10 mins cause i was CLEANING YET AGAIN. THEY ALWAYS DO STUFF WHEN I'M CLEANING
Last edited by ratlad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Ablissa
pastel persona

They were so cute omg I was genuinely giggling. Phil hitting Dan with a pillow, their banter about the magnet, them discussing films and ignoring us. Yes.
Also CHRISTMAS BAKING MIGHT BE A THING???

(lowkey frustrated i'll never know what premium message dan wanted to accept and phil didn't)
ratlad wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:50 pm POSSIBLE CHRISTMAS BAKING YOU GUYS, DIDN'T WE TALK ABOUT THIS BEFORE?!
also, not sure if i heard wrong but...
chat: do you miss being on tour?
phil: i miss having my own bed
(something along those lines) ??? did anyone else catch that ? am i hearing things?
He did say my bed, but I don't think that really means anything?
Last edited by Ablissa on Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.