Dan & Phil Part 79: calm down there bub

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm For me, it's so weird to hear about people not growing up with swimming lessons :shrug: I guess in the Netherlands it's just totally normal for everyone to be able to swim. Most people I know had swimming lessons (at least the A Diploma, which is basic swimming, diving through a tunnel, etc) when they were about 4 years old, and a lot of primary schools offer swimming lessons too. Mine did, I probably did the B Diploma then, which is the one where you learn to swim with your clothes on. From what I gather from Google parents do have to pay for it themselves, but I think by far most parents do it anyway, partially because it's socially expected for everyone to be able to swim and partially because we have so much water (streams, rivers, lakes, the sea, etc) everywhere that the risk of drowning is very high here. I guess it's the same reasoning in the UK.

Ah, the joys of cultural differences :ribena:
That makes a great deal of sense. Michigan is also known for its water (we're surrounded by the Great Lakes) so swimming was a pretty important skill for us to learn as well. Now I wonder if more schools teach swimming in states surrounded by water than in states that are land-locked.

Ahh, yikes, top of the page! Bringing things back to DnP. What are the odds a DINOF video is finally on the horizon? I thought I was picking up on something during yesterday's liveshow.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

citizen_erased wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 pm For me, it's so weird to hear about people not growing up with swimming lessons :shrug: I guess in the Netherlands it's just totally normal for everyone to be able to swim. Most people I know had swimming lessons (at least the A Diploma, which is basic swimming, diving through a tunnel, etc) when they were about 4 years old, and a lot of primary schools offer swimming lessons too. Mine did, I probably did the B Diploma then, which is the one where you learn to swim with your clothes on. From what I gather from Google parents do have to pay for it themselves, but I think by far most parents do it anyway, partially because it's socially expected for everyone to be able to swim and partially because we have so much water (streams, rivers, lakes, the sea, etc) everywhere that the risk of drowning is very high here. I guess it's the same reasoning in the UK.

Ah, the joys of cultural differences :ribena:
It's because one third of our country lays below sea level, we're basically mermaids! :lol: I live on land that was 'reclaimed' from the sea and is 2 to 5 meters below NAP. I'm super fucked if the dykes break (which apparently has a 10% chance of happening lol).

But yeah, swimming lessons for young kids are like... socially compulsory here. From a very young age you're basically taught that Water Is The Enemy (jk kinda) and you'll drown if you don't learn to swim, Whether you take lessons once a week after school or get dumped into a course for an entire week of schoolbreak to learn (I did the first for my A, the second for my B) the necessary skills for the diploma, by the time your kid is 7 it should usually be able to swim and you quit lessons and usually get a real hobby.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I just typed this up as a response on tumblr but I'm gonna go ahead and drop it here too - rewatching the liveshow made me highly annoyed all over again at Dan not letting Phil talk. Also correct me if I'm wrong but Phil knew exactly what it was and from his evasion I feel like it's Dan who was unsure?

D: Article 13. What's your opinion on Article 13?
P: Don't ask me about intense politics.
D: Look honestly if it's this deal, no deal, or no brexit, and ministers don't want to vote for this deal, then that means it's either gonna be no deal or no brexit- and honestly, I don't think that anyone would go through with no deal. So is there gonna be no brexit?
P: We need to get Noel Edmonds on this. Deal or no deal? That's my answer.
D: Okay, I'm very hungry, and this is descending to a level I'm afraid that Phil's gonna swear-
P: Article 13, is that the-
D: Bah dah buh duh okay. [interrupting Phil sounds] Um so yeah.
P: We don't want that.
D: Big corgi. Brazil. Having a great time. Sniff some candles. It has been a jazzy evening-
P: A jevening. Is that - are you like, winding up?
D: Yeah because I'm really hungry and you're scaring me.
P: Why, because I'm saying Article 13?
D: No, no just - literally everything.
P: But is that the European copyright thing? Or is that another article?
D: [silence and leaning out of frame] There's the EU meme law thing.
P: Yeah.
D: Which is the thing that youtube is talking about.
P: Yes, that's the thing.
D: The EU is trying to propose a bill that could make it so that youtube has to close down in the UK and Europe.
P: Save our internet.
D: Do you want to end the liveshow on that?
P: No. That's what I'm saying-
D: Drama.
P: That's what I thought you were talking about.
D: No. I was talking about Brexit.
P: Oh. That's also depressing. Uh-
D: There's a lot of articles.
P: There's a lot of articles.
hello9217
flower crown

A little off topic but I'm just going to pop this in here because it is so impressive and was made in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Pinof.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

One of the most annoying things about joint liveshows is just how often Dan talks over Phil or cuts him off completely. This time was especially frustrating cause Dan asked Phil for his opinion about Article 13, then wouldn't let him answer.
But yes, the impression I got was that Phil knew what Dan was talking about.
DryCereal
koi pond

It seemed Dan definitely had his articles mixed up. (13 and 50.) For all the panic online about 13, 50 and Brexit is a lot more worrying for folk in the UK right now.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
knq
lava lamp

Theory: If they livestream for more than 30 minutes they turn back into their true pumpkin selves. :pumpkin: :pumpkin:

I was really expecting the drum game today! I swear after Phil says it will be Monday or Tuesday Dan says "yes, depending on what the ??? Brazil theater says." I figured they were waiting for the theater because they said something like "tickets are on sale now!" in their drum video and were then waiting for tickets to be on sale so they could actually put up the video. But then they didn't put it up. :(
Ablissa
pastel persona

Just a reminder that our PINOF forum game already started! :babuse: (I say "our" but this is @ame's work! :stan:)
Up until PINOF, we're going to be writing our own idea of it - making up the questions the boys might receive and writing down their responses :D

You don't need to be a fic writer to participate - just join us for fun!
More info here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1584
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I don't know if Dan realized he confused article 13 as being something related to brexit rather the the EU digital copyright thing or if he thought Phil was the one who was confused but he knew they were on different paths and decided to kill it.

Also I'm with Phil on the topics of; it's not acceptable to go to the shops in your PJs and Wednesday is the perfect day off when he rules the country and implements his four day week.
Although on the Pajamas thing they kept jumping from PJs to sweatpants which while I laze in the house in sweatpants too they are two completely different things. It's acceptable to leave the house in sweatpants. (And if that's what Dan was wearing it's also not worthy of tweeting about).
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Just wanted to jump into the convo about taking swimming lessons. Here, swimming lessons are expensive af that most people know how to swim only because their parents just take them out swimming once in a while and teach them there. Unfortunately, I grew up with very strict parents who told us to go back to shallow waters whenever we treaded up to hips-level. At 26 I still have no idea how to swim so I'm basically f***ed if ever I'm put in a situation where I have to swim. It's more likely cause we're 7k+ islands surrounded by bodies of water everywhere. I literally grew up in the place that experienced that extreme storm surge but wasn't there when that happened cause I was away for college. Only the very rich schools have pools, and though some college degrees require swimming as an elective, it's mostly only the college degrees whose jobs will be related to going onboard ships that require such elective (marine transportation and international tourism). So yeah.... I guess it's a geographic difference too, but just wanted to show that even in literal archipelagos, there's still a possibility that one does not know how to swim. :shock: :?

Relating back to Deppy, I'm so happy for Brazil fans. I hope you have a good time. :love1: If you're going to the m&g calm yourself down before meeting them. I was so hyped I did some things I regretted (like I made them wait for a bit cause I wasn't prepared to record the interaction, blacked out during my hugs with them so that I don't remember anything now). :wahh:

4 day workdays and Wednesday as a day off sounds lovely. :drool:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
starwatersong
phabergé

Wow, this thing is phenomenal! Kudos to everyone involved.

hello9217 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:01 pm A little off topic but I'm just going to pop this in here because it is so impressive and was made in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Pinof.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The animation is so funny, there are so many little touches.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Re: article 13 thing, not that I doubt Dan's ability to mix up his words and numbers, especially in relation to quite complicated legal and political issues, but I think he actually did mean article 13 of the proposal of the EU copyright directive, not the article 50 of the EU founding treaty that deals with the withdrawal from the EU. Remember he liked TomSka's tweet with a meme about how Brexit is a disaster, but article 13 is also a disaster, so if Brexit doesn't happen, everything still will be bad because of the article 13?
goodbants wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:16 pm Dan's most recent Twitter like
So I think Dan was referencing that, but then he realised that A - it was a very complicated issue he wasn't sure he wanted to get into in a liveshow, B - Phil wasn't immediately on the same page, C - the 30 minutes they've been allocating to liveshows have passed, so he decided to end it. Now, like many of you, I am bummed about being denied Phil's voluntarily political opinions, but at the same time I'm glad they stopped, because I don't like the hysteria surrounding the copyright directive which, in my opinion, only benefits GAFA & Co who don't like that the directive creates new obligations for them. And if you live in an EU country and you're worried about youtube's future, as someone familiar with the EU lawmaking process, let me just tell you that negotiations are still ongoing between the European Parliament, the European Commission and the governments of all the EU Member States and basically anything can happen. For example, we just had a bill for persons with disabilities completely devoid of any substantial provisions after such negotiations. Sorry for a bit of off-topic and for posting when it's not very relevant anymore, I wanted to post yesterday and I fell asleep with my phone in my hand, but it's related to my work and it's something I feel quite passionate about, so I really wanted to :?
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

My dreams of a joint wanking gif came true. Merry Christmas to me

:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

That video was really cute, and I really smile watching them play something they love, but it definitely affirms to me why I don't mind app games or browser games - because this isn't really a video I think I'm gonna end up watching again. There was nothing wrong with it, it's just that they were both too into playing and the game pace requires too much focus for them to be able to put much effort into banter.

In fact, as I watched it, I ended up thinking how this would have been perfect for a gaming livestream because I think watching them play a game for real without editing would have given it the element of humor that it needed.

But I did enjoy the 'babuse' moment and, as always, I stand firm in my belief that it's shorthand for 'boyfriend abuse.'
kavat
pastel persona

Aw what a lovely video!

- Return of the parachute jumper! Nice, I like Dan's weird clothing. And Phil's not-quite-black hair looks so good.
- Aaw cute reminiscing about Japhan :japhan:
- I choked on my drink at that pinof reference, I did not see that coming.
- Dan can't let Phil be self deprecating about his lack of rhythm, he has to compliment him
- Tag yourself, Dan is corn, Phil is dumpling. I'm the yellow fluff cloud to the left.
- Fancy a wa-what? Took me a while to realize he said wags as in Wagamamas. That was not what i first heard. But they decide on their dinner date before they start.
- Dan is talking so much about being hard and easy and I want him to stop
- Bishi bashi throwback
- Oh it's a :rainbowsparkle: vs :sparkle:
- The computer wins lol
- Phil is so bad at the second one, poor guy
- That was over so fast that Dan declares all or nothing
- The chick is Willow Smith
- Oh god the stick shaking, what is wrong with them. Followed by a jumpcut :hmmm:
- Even if he won Dan makes Phil play one more song
- Phil is just full on drum smashing now while Dan laughs
- "The bumble bees are crawling on me and I'm ready to party"
- Babuse! I love that they still use that reference. Nerds.
- Yes poor neighbors, drumming noises tend to travel far as well.
- Moral of the story: Use your sticks with care. Sure.
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i really enjoyed that video and smiled all the way through!!
editing to add that the tiger in the baseball game is shaped like a dick. thank u that's all.
Last edited by ratlad on Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
liola
rankussy

I want that game, and I want to play it with them, but most of all I want the wanking gif on repeat for the rest of the week. These guys, I swear. I should've guessed it the moment Dan started going on about being hard :rofl:

The video in itself was cute, not a favourite but also not bad. I agree with @alittledizzy, I definitely watch them for their bants not for the gameplay, and this video didn't allow for either to shine.

Now, if they want to make me happy and start a let's play on Kingdom Hearts since the 3rd game is finally going to launch, that's another thing. A solo Phil let's play, that's my dream. <3
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Just one question: is it physically impossible to get a video without dnp turning it into a sexual mess? Not complaining at all, by the way. Just checking.

Anyway, it was a funny video! My heart skipped a bit during the Pinof reference - can't believe we're at a point where Dan can talk about That moment so casually.. 2018 is really That Year - and yay for the return of babuse :love2: .

Another part I particularly loved was when Phil said he doesn't have rhytm and Dan was immediately ready to tell him that he does in fact have rhytm, he doesn't just have the groove. I live for them ALWAYS finding a way to compliment each other when some insecurities make an appearance.

I also agree with @alittledizzy; i watch them mostly for the bants and these kind of games don't allow them, even though it was nice to see them immersed in the game, i'd pick Google Feud-type of games over Serious Gameplay anytime.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Totally agree with @alittledizzy. I think part of what made this video in particular a bit less re-watchable is the drumming. Kinda hard to bant when you've got 2 different rhythms being drummed out at the same time. I think I still want/prefer console games, but just... maybe not such loud rhythm-focused ones.

I also immediately thought of your "boyfriend abuse" theory when Dan said "babuse" again. This is fact now.

They were really cute. Phil is unbearably pretty these days with that half-dyed quiff and all of his black sweaters. An all-around enjoyable experience.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t really have a lot to say about the video but I am also 100% aboard the babuse train- given the context of its usage this time what else could it be?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Placing the microphone right behind the drums might not have been the best idea.....

(I think "babuse" just stuck around after the banana video and that they use it frequently)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Kind of a boring video ngl. I did appreciate a few things like that little PINOF reference, the double wank (omg @missemma sis congrats on the gif of your dreams!), and babuse but aside from that I wasn't into it. The sound of plastic hitting even more plastic was kinda off-putting as well. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

i agree that the bants are the best part, but i think i just enjoyed this one so much cause of the animations (my pea-sized brain is easily entertained) so i was mostly distracted by 'em. hopefully the next vid has more bants, less bangs.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
autumnhearth
senpai

I’m not entirely sure what I watched (with the mini games) but I’m glad they were in a good mood/aroused (never thought I’d hear about arousal in a We context). No, but they both seemed very happy and I wished I could have just zoomed in on their faces. Ah well, off to check out the gifs.