If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
saffarinda
Procrastinator
Posts: 326
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:01 am
Pronouns: she/her

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by saffarinda » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:16 am

so when i started watching dan and phil in late 2012/early 2013, when it was 4am and i was having an existential crisis (although i didn't know what it was called back then) i'd spent a good few hours crying over how pointless life was, and how my existance was meaningless when eventually the entire world will cease to exist one day, and i was looking for the answer in the best place possible: youtube videos.

i'd watched a few on low quality webcams, talking about how nothing mattered and was still feeling very lost and upset, when i saw dans video "The Meaning of Life" recommended, and honestly his message about doing whatever to make myself happy really struck me. i watched some more videos and noticed this other guy appearing occasionally.

but it was late, around 6am now, so i settled down to sleep.

however, at this point in my life i didn't really GET subscribing. so i lost dan's channel and completley forgot about him in all honesty.

that was until the summer of 2013 when i divided into the internet at full speed.

i somehow found dans channel again, and realised this other guy had a youtube channel, so i watched some of HIS videos and found him hilarious.

i still remember my first dan liveshow in november 2013, where he lit fireworks and phil was away (up north?) somewhere.

i think the shipping of phan was a gradual process, but when i started watching old videos (the first pinof) i was like "oh, they're a couple how cute" and just accepted it. then i went further into the phandom, saw all of dans denials, then found the vday video, then read blog posts upon blog posts about charlieskies and saw all the old tweets.

i hated thinking about it due to how sad it was that they'd have to hide something, i still hate going too far deep into theorising about it now in all honesty.

i'd seen so much that i couldn't help but ship them, and fanfiction only sped up that process.

i think compared to 2012/2013 their affection on camera just makes me so much happier, i feel in some ways that i've grown with dan and phil - especially with how they're acting now in comparison to in prior years.

im still unsure as to whether i believe they're in a relationship, but i just don't want them to not live with each other. they could be totally platonic, and i'd be love it as long as they still lived with each other and continued being the no.1 person in each others lives. i think thats why i favour the romantic relationship idea, it's more common and likely for them to live together happily forever if they're dating than if they're platonic.

im rambling now but this was fun to speak about!
25/04/2017 - #blessed



User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Susanisnotafish wrote:
Another theory I've had is that Dan is bi-romantic or panromantic and asexual. Sometimes I think he talks the innuendo but may not walk the sex. That way he could say Phan isn't real bc it's sexualized and he wouldn't be lying. But I saw an old tweet or formspring where he said he wasn't a virgin and that he'd had sex with his teenage girlfriend. But as he himself said in a younow, sexuality is fluid; so he could be asexual now. So could Phil.

New stuff to analyze about this theory at 11:32.

"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

malday
trash
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by malday » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 pm

@Susanisnotafish

From the attraction thread:

Phil's formspring answer:
"No alcohol or no sex? ;D

no alcohol! xD"
Image
I don't think not wanting to joke about screwing a monkey on their gaming channel means anything other than that. And it's kind of reaching.
Image

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:41 pm

malday wrote:@Susanisnotafish

From the attraction thread:

Phil's formspring answer:
"No alcohol or no sex? ;D

no alcohol! xD"
Image
I don't think not wanting to joke about screwing a monkey on their gaming channel means anything other than that. And it's kind of reaching.
The romantic but not sexual theory about Phan is just something I like to think about. I thought this tied in a bit. Not the not wanting to have sex with a monkey, but what they say about the nonsexual alternative. This is just for lols. Of course I do not know them IRL or have any factual knowledge about them.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

Ashling Rae
*editing tips*
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: NY, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Ashling Rae » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:20 pm

I honestly don't remember how I got into DnP at all. But I remember that I knew the shipping and relationship conspiracy theories were a thing before I was a huge fan. I came across their videos, and well, something about them just made me believe in love again? It just all seems so real to me. That's when I fell into the deep end. Much like everyone else, I did all the research, found The Video, watched a ton of YouTube compilations and it just all clicks for me. I don't like to speak in terms of proof, as I don't believe we'll ever have any. But I will speak in evidence and I will say that while I feel like most things point to them being together (at least at one point in time) the video linked below is my favorite bit of evidence.
It's not that Dan says "I love you Philip". No, it's Phil's reaction. Look at his eyes. And what does he say? "Is that you saying that Dan or did someone say it in the chat?" Phil, why so scared? And if they weren't together or hadn't said that before, wouldn't Phil just understand Dan was reading from chat? That's just how that interaction reads to me. But as I said, the world may never know. My favorite theory I've only ever really entertained in my own mind is that part of Phil's reaction is because though they were together, it was the first time Dan had said he loved Phil.
Image

User avatar
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:26 pm
Pronouns: they/them

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by auri » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:31 pm

I find the word "shipping" very odd, and i reaaally don't ship them, like i ship, say, johnlock, but i do believe they are in a relationship, so. here goes.

i've been watching them forever (since 2010), and 2012 happened and all i remember from that time was Dan saying over and over how phan wasn't real. And tbqh, i believed him. Sure there were quite a few phan videos going around and yes i watched them. i just kinda went with it, enjoyed these two guys being cuddly together, but i was like naah they're just friends. i kinda lost interest in them on the time that tabinof was announced, i think probably bc so many yt'ers were making books and i wasn't really interested about that stuff back them. and then was the tour and since they never got to my country (ty, they went to the next country but didn't come here) i just didn't really care. also when the don't cry craft happened i was like "oh jeez :l" and just didn't really care about them more than casually for a long while.

i don't actually know when it clicked me, that i don't actually believe the whole "we are just friends" thing. maybe like after the Dan and Phil games channel was made. They started to be on screen a lot, and as time went on, they just started to feel more... couple-y to me. but i think the last thing happened just like few weeks ago, as i got to watch them again after some casual watching. Someone pointed out in tumblr that they leave so much more touching and looking into the videos, the moving theories, BONCAS... just so many things have happened lately.

Also, the fact that Phil just turned 30, they (still) live together and pretty much do everything together, they haven't had partners since forever (not that we know of) and the way they reacted to the rumour of Phil having a secret wife and stuff, haha. I don't knoow. I just only recently found out about voldy (haven't watched it, but as we all know, it's not too difficult to find out what it's about) and i believe it's real. And the whole business in 2009 just seems very much that they are an item. And it is very hard to think they'd break up at some point since they are still living together and stuff. So i don't know. I just think they're a couple? they act like it (not even going to talk about the iom), nowadays they don't really edit things out. And they seem happy, so i don't really care, if they are together or not, but i feel like that they are.

capybantsa
spork
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:30 am
Pronouns: he/him
Location: Japan

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by capybantsa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:39 am

I think it was more like, the first time they said very explicitly that they're FRIENDS I was like "are you sure"?

I'm not 100% convinced that they're not just pretending to be a couple, but I am 100% convinced it's either that or they really are a couple. There's just too much for it to be a coincidence.

User avatar
starlight-still
Procrastinator
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:30 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: The Second City

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by starlight-still » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 am

This isn't phan theories, but in light of Phil's dating e-mail vid today, I (not so) proudly present...

If Snow Dude Met Young Daniel!

I am apparently in a cringe mood...sorry not sorry
but actually sorry
---
hey babe,

wat’s up wit u. today i went out on the sloops. it waz ace. I did sum cool tricks. i met som hunkie guis to.

hey i havn’t seen u online latly. y don u writ to me??

-
sup brah,

tat’s wat we cool snow doods say. brah. n e way where r u?? u didn repon to my mesage yesterday. i jus wan to say i mis u an hop to cat to u son. pls repond. or not. but pls do. k peece yo. also wat we cool snow doods say. cuz i am totaly on for realz. yah.

XD
--
hey cooti,

Tahnk u for teling me wat u lok lik. u sound lik relly cutee n stuf. ur chesnaut braun har sounds butiful lik heavinly chocolat. pls send a pic soon to btw.

x

(yes, tat is a kis. lol. k bye.)
--
heeeeey sexi,

i saw ur nekkid boof pic n stuf. ur lik realy hot. but not jus tat. like sof and prety to. i want to stroke u. k not lik that lol. i men ur hair looks sof n stuf. or do i??? lol.

i will sen my pic to soon i want to take one wit my board and no shirt?? (if that is not weird). n e way u shud kno i am as blond and tan as ever.

xxxxx

lol. bye.
--
erm hi lol

r u awak? I cant belief we chated al nite. wow. it was realy special. i hop u r sleepin well now. and writ to me when u wake. soon pls. i miss u. lol ok. bye.

xxxxxx

lol XD

ps- i am gad u r ok tat I am not blond or hench or evn a border. an tat u didn get bard wen i taked abut buffy. tank u for acepting me as i am < 3
--
dear sweet bf,

i can cal u tat now rite? i’m so hapy u said yes to us.

i hope i wil be in ur lif for a long tim. i wan to be ther for u < 3

i miss u.

com online soon pls

pls?

thank u

< 3
Image
Dan and Phil shimmer with starlight from within whenever they are together.

User avatar
fondsmiles
hobbit hair
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:10 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Germany

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by fondsmiles » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 am

starlight-still wrote:This isn't phan theories, but in light of Phil's dating e-mail vid today, I (not so) proudly present...

If Snow Dude Met Young Daniel!

I am apparently in a cringe mood...sorry not sorry
but actually sorry
---
hey babe,

wat’s up wit u. today i went out on the sloops. it waz ace. I did sum cool tricks. i met som hunkie guis to.

hey i havn’t seen u online latly. y don u writ to me??

-
sup brah,

tat’s wat we cool snow doods say. brah. n e way where r u?? u didn repon to my mesage yesterday. i jus wan to say i mis u an hop to cat to u son. pls repond. or not. but pls do. k peece yo. also wat we cool snow doods say. cuz i am totaly on for realz. yah.

XD
--
hey cooti,

Tahnk u for teling me wat u lok lik. u sound lik relly cutee n stuf. ur chesnaut braun har sounds butiful lik heavinly chocolat. pls send a pic soon to btw.

x

(yes, tat is a kis. lol. k bye.)
--
heeeeey sexi,

i saw ur nekkid boof pic n stuf. ur lik realy hot. but not jus tat. like sof and prety to. i want to stroke u. k not lik that lol. i men ur hair looks sof n stuf. or do i??? lol.

i will sen my pic to soon i want to take one wit my board and no shirt?? (if that is not weird). n e way u shud kno i am as blond and tan as ever.

xxxxx

lol. bye.
--
erm hi lol

r u awak? I cant belief we chated al nite. wow. it was realy special. i hop u r sleepin well now. and writ to me when u wake. soon pls. i miss u. lol ok. bye.

xxxxxx

lol XD

ps- i am gad u r ok tat I am not blond or hench or evn a border. an tat u didn get bard wen i taked abut buffy. tank u for acepting me as i am < 3
--
dear sweet bf,

i can cal u tat now rite? i’m so hapy u said yes to us.

i hope i wil be in ur lif for a long tim. i wan to be ther for u < 3

i miss u.

com online soon pls

pls?

thank u

< 3
do i cringe more or do i love this more? the world may never know.
Image
[x]
Image
[x]

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:59 am

I just found out Dan went up North with Phil a couple of years ago when Phil went there for a 10-yr high school reunion with about 10 friends. Phil didn't say whether Dan went to the reunion, but if he did, is that unusual if they're not a couple? I only went to one reunion and I took my husband. There was one girl who brought a girl, but she at least went to our school but was a year younger. Not sure if they were a couple or just friends.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

User avatar
captainspacecoat
long-time wanker
Posts: 509
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:31 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Australia

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by captainspacecoat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Susanisnotafish wrote:I just found out Dan went up North with Phil a couple of years ago when Phil went there for a 10-yr high school reunion with about 10 friends. Phil didn't say whether Dan went to the reunion, but if he did, is that unusual if they're not a couple? I only went to one reunion and I took my husband. There was one girl who brought a girl, but she at least went to our school but was a year younger. Not sure if they were a couple or just friends.
I think Phil later clarified that it wasn't a formal school reunion - just his group of high school friends catching up, and he justified Dan going with him as because Dan knew them from when they lived in Manchester. It still seems pretty coupley to me tbh, I probably wouldn't tag along with my best friend to catch up with her high school friends, even though I've met them before, whereas I feel like I'd be more likely to go with a partner. I guess it's subjective as to whether you consider that a coupley thing or not, but just personally it does seem like quite an intimate thing to me.

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am

I went back and checked the vid and those objects were on his nightstand. Has this already been discussed here or on gg about whether people think they actually are condoms?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

Awesomesauceness
Squish
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:25 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Kinda complicated? In HK or in Boston

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Awesomesauceness » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:17 pm

Susanisnotafish wrote: I went back and checked the vid and those objects were on his nightstand. Has this already been discussed here or on gg about whether people think they actually are condoms?
Heya!

Firstly, wow Dan... not checking room before filming video...

I'm not sure if this was discussed, but wouldn't having condoms out be rather normal for someone in or not in a relationship? Dan could be having one night stands for all we know; in fact this could be more anti Phan proof than phan proof? Since someone in a long term monogamous relationship might not use condoms? Oh whatever, I'm just rambling a bit. Interesting observation though!
(´⊙ω⊙`)

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:20 pm

Hello and welcome! Yeah, it could be taken more antiphan, and since this was 2012, Dan could have even placed them there to disprove Phan. If they even really are condoms.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

User avatar
sparkle
Ar·tic·u·late
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:12 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: UK

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by sparkle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Awesomesauceness wrote: Heya!

Firstly, wow Dan... not checking room before filming video...

I'm not sure if this was discussed, but wouldn't having condoms out be rather normal for someone in or not in a relationship? Dan could be having one night stands for all we know; in fact this could be more anti Phan proof than phan proof? Since someone in a long term monogamous relationship might not use condoms? Oh whatever, I'm just rambling a bit. Interesting observation though!
(´⊙ω⊙`)
I'd see it as anti-phan proof more than phan proof. Like if they are condoms (not too sure on that one, it seems like a small reach but I could be wrong), and they were left there by accident and not planted deliberately; then it seems more likely than Dan would have been having casual sex or sex with someone who could get pregnant rather than having sex with a long term monogamous (male) partner. Unless one of them has an incurable STI, or prefer sex with condoms.

He could have planted them deliberately because the most logical explanation for why he would have condoms is not 'having sex with Phil'. If he was trying to aggressively 'cover up' any accusations that he is with Phil (either because they are together and he wants it private or because he didn't want their relationship hyper analysed) this may have been something he would do. Or it could have been a way for him to gauge if people would pick up on things like this in the background and give him an indication of what he'd need to hide to keep his private life private.
supplier of phandom tinfoil
there is a 99% chance that I am projecting onto Dan at any one time

User avatar
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Posts: 2833
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:09 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by alittledizzy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I think they're DS game cartridges. :)

But even if they were condoms, why would that be anti-phan? Condoms make clean up after sex way, way easier. Semen makes it's way back out... if you're having penis related penetrative sex and they/you want to finish inside but they/you want the ability to roll over and go to sleep with minimal mess, you use a condom.

User avatar
sparkle
Ar·tic·u·late
Posts: 446
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:12 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: UK

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by sparkle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:11 pm

alittledizzy wrote:I think they're DS game cartridges. :)

But even if they were condoms, why would that be anti-phan? Condoms make clean up after sex way, way easier. Semen makes it's way back out... if you're having penis related penetrative sex and they/you want to finish inside but they/you want the ability to roll over and go to sleep with minimal mess, you use a condom.
I didn't think of that, thats very true

Now you've said they're DS cartridges, thats all I can see them as
supplier of phandom tinfoil
there is a 99% chance that I am projecting onto Dan at any one time

User avatar
Susanisnotafish
hobbit hair
Posts: 285
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:39 am
Pronouns: She/her
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by Susanisnotafish » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:51 pm

This is kind of a reply to nonshippers who say it's not likely that Deppy have never been caught being affectionate in public.

See 4:45. Jimmy isn't even in the closet.

"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell

George
delia smith’s placenta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by George » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:42 pm

This is more of the story how I found out Dan and Phil exist, and not necessarily why I ship them, but here it is:

I used to watch a lot of other youtubers/vloggers and youtube always suggested I should watch Dan or Phil. I checked out a few of Dan's videos, but I didn't like them and was only getting irritated that youtube kept suggesting him :? . Also, I read the youtube comments whenever I watched something, and that was really how I figured out 'phan' was a thing. I just thought it was another 'larry' and had very dark thoughts of the people who ship them... (Since then, my view of shipping has drastically changed.) Another boring night I stumbled upon Phil's videos and actually like him and subscribed. Then I found out the gaming channel and the sims series. (I was one of those people who was only subscribed to Phil and the gaming channel when I took the phandom survey.)

Somehow, reading youtube comments again I saw someone mention...you know, that video... and googled it and found out all the proof. I was gobsmacked, I had never a single second thought that phan might actually be real. It changed me as a person almost :lol: . And well, then I fell into the deep end and sing up on Tumblr and Tumblr's promo sentence 'you will never be bored again' has actually proven out to be true. To this day I feel like the v-day video is a big reason of them being so successful - it's like finding out this big secret and somehow that makes you more involved. It's a bit ironic.

At some point I found myself so deep involved in the fandom that I had to subscribe to Dan too to know whenever there was something new to talk about. Nowadays I actually think I like Dan's videos a bit more - for me it feels like he puts more effort in than Phil (like, once a month. And let's not talk about the memeing of life.)

I still don't know if I ship them, I just believe they've been together in the past and all signs point towards them being together still.

I'm not used to write in English, so feel free to correct my grammar - I'll be more than happy.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.

User avatar
twix
butt chair
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:17 am

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by twix » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:52 pm

George wrote: Somehow, reading youtube comments again I saw someone mention...you know, that video... and googled it and found out all the proof. I was gobsmacked, I had never a single second thought that phan might actually be real. It changed me as a person almost :lol: . And well, then I fell into the deep end and sing up on Tumblr and Tumblr's promo sentence 'you will never be bored again' has actually proven out to be true. To this day I feel like the v-day video is a big reason of them being so successful - it's like finding out this big secret and somehow that makes you more involved. It's a bit ironic.
I find this paragraph-- especially the part i bolded-- fascinating because it makes the phandom sound like a religious cult. Could you elaborate more on this please? Like, in what ways do you feel that it "changed [you] as a person almost"? do you feel as if you're more open-minded or something now? is this experience what changed your ideas about shipping in general? why/how does having knowledge of the video make you more involved? what are your opinions of phan shippers who do not have knowledge of the video? if you were in a position to do so, would you share the knowledge with the uninitiated?

George
delia smith’s placenta
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 31, 2017 10:38 pm

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by George » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:31 pm

twix wrote:I find this paragraph-- especially the part i bolded-- fascinating because it makes the phandom sound like a religious cult. Could you elaborate more on this please? Like, in what ways do you feel that it "changed [you] as a person almost"? do you feel as if you're more open-minded or something now? is this experience what changed your ideas about shipping in general? why/how does having knowledge of the video make you more involved? what are your opinions of phan shippers who do not have knowledge of the video? if you were in a position to do so, would you share the knowledge with the uninitiated?
Oh, so many questions! For starters I've to probably disappoint you - when I said it changed me as a person, I meant more in the lines of my ways of consuming the media. I had always thought of myself as a fairly media critical person and then realizing I hadn't even thought that there might be another side to this story was kind of an eye-opening experience. All those teenage girls might've actually been....right. Very naive of me not to even introduce the thought, I admit. I guess the lack of gay people in my life/media had made me forget that wait, that's also an actual possibility. I didn't mean my views of lgbt+ stuff changed or anything like that, I've always been open to that (but I do have learn a lot more about those issues since joining the phandom). I wasn't shocked that they were in the relationships, I was shocked that it was true. I guess the big part of this was that I actually watched them for their content, not to marvel over the flirting. I was always a bit meh over the pinofs for example, I didn't get the appeal. (I still don't get pinofs tbh... they're stupid. An unpopular opinion, here you are.) I miss those times, now I'm like ...oh their shoulders touched... are they loosing boundaries on purpose...

When it comes to knowing about the video... well, for me it feels like I actually get all the jokes on Tumblr now and can make a few of my owns. That has helped me to get friendly with other users and made me a part of this community, all happening faster than I expected. It's just something fun to talk about. I don't really count people who don't know about the video shippers tbh, it's such common knowledge that if you don't know about it you can't be that deep in the phandom. And I probably would tell them about it, yes, I'm a bad person that way. Just to bond over it.

Of course all of this has changed my views of shipping - I didn't really thought about shipping that deep before or wasn't aware of the culture and nature of it. It's much more complex than I thought. I see the beauty of it now, whether shipping people who are together or not, it's just harmless (most of the time) fun and bonding over your interests. Sometimes the phandom almost feels like a cult tho (and tabinof is our bible). We're all just losing our minds all the time over something minor that the rest of world don't know anything about or care. But yes, that's what shipping is to me. And I like it, or at least I'm still here.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.

User avatar
twix
butt chair
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 1:17 am

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by twix » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Hey, George, thanks for your reply! I really enjoyed reading your answers :D

fwiw, i asked a bunch of questions because i personally find the request to "elaborate" to be overwhelming and vague, so i try to give people different avenues to kickstart their thinking. i'm not at all disappointed in any way.
George wrote: (I still don't get pinofs tbh... they're stupid. An unpopular opinion, here you are.)
the key to enjoying PINOF is, much like America's Next Top Model, recognizing it as one of the few still-ongoing relics of a bygone era.
George wrote: I don't really count people who don't know about the video shippers tbh, it's such common knowledge that if you don't know about it you can't be that deep in the phandom.
See, this is what i mean about treating it like an group initiation thing!

I ended up in a fanvid wormhole a couple weeks ago, and ended up watching someone's four part "why dan and phil are together" series, and what i found interesting is that she knew of the video's existence but had absolutely no idea of its content (until someone told her while she was making part 4) yet was obviously invested enough in dnp/the phandom to make said videos.

User avatar
sugar
sad dimple
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 am
Pronouns: she/they
Location: new york

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by sugar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:21 am

i know the DS cartridge discussion was a while ago but every time i visit this thread i see it and i need to put my two cents in....those look MUCH larger than any DS game i've ever seen or used. unless they make them much bigger now than they used to.

in fact, i just looked it up and they're about 35x33mm....and those look much larger than that to me. i do think they're condoms.
Image

previously awsugar

annetamiau
sad dimple
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by annetamiau » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am

awsugar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:21 am
i know the DS cartridge discussion was a while ago but every time i visit this thread i see it and i need to put my two cents in....those look MUCH larger than any DS game i've ever seen or used. unless they make them much bigger now than they used to.

in fact, i just looked it up and they're about 35x33mm....and those look much larger than that to me. i do think they're condoms.
I think they are oyster cards. I saw a post once (it was either on tumblr or on GG, but I can't find it now) and it quite convinced me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Behind every great person, there is a great cat

User avatar
sugar
sad dimple
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:21 am
Pronouns: she/they
Location: new york

Re: If you ship Phan…when/why did you start shipping it?

Post by sugar » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 am

annetamiau wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:50 am
awsugar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:21 am
i know the DS cartridge discussion was a while ago but every time i visit this thread i see it and i need to put my two cents in....those look MUCH larger than any DS game i've ever seen or used. unless they make them much bigger now than they used to.

in fact, i just looked it up and they're about 35x33mm....and those look much larger than that to me. i do think they're condoms.
I think they are oyster cards. I saw a post once (it was either on tumblr or on GG, but I can't find it now) and it quite convinced me. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
it might be the angle, but they look way too square to be oyster cards. they're also not the color of a basic oyster card and i don't see where'd there would be two on dan's nightstand as it's usually something you keep in your wallet. it would be like dan and phil both having their licenses out sitting next to each other on a nightstand....entirely possible but doesn't really make sense to me.
Image

previously awsugar

Post Reply