Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

aliceness wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm short-time lurker but this video came up in my recs and i just wanted to share because it's made me cry several times today.

Umm I’m going to just watch this on a loop forever thanks. What a perfect song. I only wish there was a tad more early vids at the beginning and a bit more variety of source vids, but the energy is really great. It’s kind of astounding how different and more sincere Dan’s voice sounds when you are just listening to “companions through life, actual soulmates” (did they edit out the like?) and not watching his silly melodramatic gestures.

After watching another edit earlier, I was left wondering how different pinof 10 would have felt/been if they had come out a year ago. Probably would have died crying tbh.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

To revisit the topic(s) of collabing with Louise and discussing vaginas for just a bit:

When you look at Dan's top ten videos (Basically I'm Gay is now #8), you see they have between 16.5 million and 8.8 million views. I though I'd check out danisnotinteresting's views as well, and found that Dan Gets His Legs Waxed also has 8.8 million views (many more than anything else on dini)!

If you haven't watched it, and especially if you enjoyed the pregnancy video, I recommend it! It's a collab with Louise--and there is definitely a (rather hilarious) discussion of vagina.

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
hintatty
drama llama

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:52 pm
aliceness wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:43 pm short-time lurker but this video came up in my recs and i just wanted to share because it's made me cry several times today.

Umm I’m going to just watch this on a loop forever thanks. What a perfect song. I only wish there was a tad more early vids at the beginning and a bit more variety of source vids, but the energy is really great. It’s kind of astounding how different and more sincere Dan’s voice sounds when you are just listening to “companions through life, actual soulmates” (did they edit out the like?) and not watching his silly melodramatic gestures.

After watching another edit earlier, I was left wondering how different pinof 10 would have felt/been if they had come out a year ago. Probably would have died crying tbh.
PINOF10 would've been unbearable, I'm quietly hoping they will do another one because I don't know how they can't now?! TO be honest, rewatching pretty much anything now has so much different meaning.

This video really is ridiculous though, it's so sweet and well put together, although I agree with you on the recency of the clips, would have been good to see some AmazingDan in there haha
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Insightful twitter tumblr post
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:57 pm Insightful twitter tumblr post
There are a lot of parts of that post I agree with, but some I emphatically disagree with. I am just not a fan of the narrative that Phil was only ever closeted because of Dan. I also have studied Phil's old tweets in depth (mostly for fic research) and by that I mean tweets both to and from him, and prior to 2009 (the charlieskies etc era, then Dan) I really did not see a lot of conversation around his sexuality at all. I've also seen enough of his earlier videos to firmly believe he was never explicitly open about being gay on youtube back then. He projected ambiguity, and maybe some people drew conclusions from that (probably combined with who his friend group was) but it's not a definitive.

Here's the tumblr post I made as an indirect response (indirect because it wasn't specifically to that post, but to a handful of similar things I'd seen reblogged around and to other asks I was sent).
obvsly
#relatable

Sorry for posting quite a lot today but I’m not really down with the whole “Phil went back into the closet for dan” concept. It sounds nice and romantic but I think it puts an unnecessary blame on dan.

We don’t really know what went on behind the scenes at the time but we know that it’s not an easy time for them both. Their careers exploded and their private video got exposed; both are hard to deal with on its own, let alone at the same time. Suddenly they had to face questions about sexuality from every direction and the direct answer could’ve impacted everything. I would have wanted to avoid that too.

Phil is smart and considerate. I personally believe he simply decided it’s best just to not address it at all. Actually I think it might even be a joint decision. And it’s not really going back into the closet as phil told us he casually let people who matter know.

(Typed this out before I saw dizzy’s post up there but I’m posting it anyway.)
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

lefthandedism wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:33 pm
honestly one of my personal favourites out of dan's videos! the whole thing is so funny, dan and louise spending half the video in hysterics, them microwaving the wax with the metal foil still on, the innuendo counter ('are you wanking my leg?')...

i assumed that referring to vaginas as a 'rude area' in louise's video was him being a bit more cautious about what he can say in other people's videos since he doesn't seem to have an issue saying it on his own channel. still, you'd think saying vagina wouldn't be in any way off-limits in a video about pregnancy terminology :roll:
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:20 pm
all of this. it's rlly not great to see the situation framed as dan being a drag on phil's coming out process and phil being patient enough to 'put up with' dan while he came to terms with everything. they both had their reasons to remain quiet on the topic and closeted people aren't in any way a 'burden'.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
knq
lava lamp

The phandom has such a perchance for martyring Phil. Even Dan and Phil know it. It's the Interactive Introverts commentary's "Phil died for our sins!" except Phil is cast as martyring himself for Dan and apparently that's love. I hate that. I hate it so much. I've seen it when people talk about Dan's depression, like Phil is his caretaker rather than his partner. Now we have it with his sexuality too.

Isn't the idea that Phil could be out to friends and family and people he knows personally but not out to a public audience and the news media the whole idea of the glass closet? Was there something about Phil's video that debunked the glass closet narrative? That seems to fit Phil's situation far better than a narrative where he's out, even to his fans, and then goes back in the closet for Dan's sake.

The idea that someone going into the closet for someone else is 'genuine love' is just upsetting for me. Weirdly enough, Dan and Phil, even before I knew they were a couple and was just watching their bants in gaming videos, are one of the meaningful examples of a healthy relationship between people who can argue healthily and communicate with each other in my life, and it's upsetting to see what I perceive as a healthy relationship cast like... that.

Also. "Whether platonic or romantic"? AFTER EVERYTHING? REALLY? :headdesk1:
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I just registered after lurking since Dan came out. I'm a gay guy myself :prideheart2:. I find Dan mighty handsome :love1:.

I'd like to ask you all is it feasible that Dan and Phil are not boyfriends? It seems like Dan might be looking for a boyfriend, or at least open for that idea? Phil is more of a question mark, though he seems more lowkey about it anyway. Not that I could have Dan, lol, but I'm wondering if there is room for another guy in his heart?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Good to read more views on that, it hadn’t occurred to me.
Ablissa
pastel persona

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:15 pm I just registered after lurking since Dan came out. I'm a gay guy myself :prideheart2:. I find Dan mighty handsome :love1:.

I'd like to ask you all is it feasible that Dan and Phil are not boyfriends? It seems like Dan might be looking for a boyfriend, or at least open for that idea? Phil is more of a question mark, though he seems more lowkey about it anyway. Not that I could have Dan, lol, but I'm wondering if there is room for another guy in his heart?
I'm sorry but Dan literally called Phil his soulmate, spent the last 10 years with Phil, admitted to having a romantic history, plans to buy a home with Phil, and adopt a dog with Phil.

I mean... the only logical conclusion here is that Dan is lying and they secretly hate each other... so y'know, go for it.

Sidenote... Completely unrelated... I am Tired.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie