Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
scientia
phabergé

Anybody else slightly dreading the possibility that they will somehow evade doing any kind of joint content/appearances during their time in CA? Like even fan pictures?

I fully support them each doing their own thing but am really starting to wonder how much longer this joint-embargo will last. It just feels so weird - they appear in fan pictures together at the airport but can’t/won’t do anything else public together? Will this silence last a while longer? It honestly gets to me sometimes.

I want to clarify that I believe neither of them owes fans anything, I’m kind of just stuck wondering how we went from years of content of them together to half a year of only a few pictures and mentions. Just one of those nights.
eevee
emo goose

scientia wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:13 am Anybody else slightly dreading the possibility that they will somehow evade doing any kind of joint content/appearances during their time in CA? Like even fan pictures?

I fully support them each doing their own thing but am really starting to wonder how much longer this joint-embargo will last. It just feels so weird - they appear in fan pictures together at the airport but can’t/won’t do anything else public together? Will this silence last a while longer? It honestly gets to me sometimes.

I want to clarify that I believe neither of them owes fans anything, I’m kind of just stuck wondering how we went from years of content of them together to half a year of only a few pictures and mentions. Just one of those nights.
did you see how close together they were walking in the airport? their shoulders were touching. i think going on without any more joint content may actually kill them. they also publicly supported each other's coming out videos. idk, i'm just not too worried :)
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

I, on the other hand, am quite excited to see them on their own.
I must say I haven't paid so much attention to Phil lately, so his Q&A session at vidcon would be interesting. I hope they keep it focused on him only.

Also terribly excited for Dan's panel and other stuff he's doing. That 3 minute interview just made me realize that I missed listening to him talk so damn much.

Excited for collabs and suprise appearances in vlogs, if they're up for it. I think we're due some individual development, in my opinion of course.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Amiaw
interactive introvert

What I find interesting is that all of the joint pictures and news we’ve gotten from them recently has been from Phil. The Brighton picture and the Muse picture were on Phil’s Instagram story, the joint meet and greet was retweeted and put in only Phil’s story and any news of them doing anything together has come from Phil’s member posts.

Obviously Dan has been ia but the muse picture and joint m&g news came out June 1st and Phil told us about their plans for a road trip after dan was alive...I don’t know what I’m really trying to say other than that it would be nice for Dan to give us a picture or tidbit one of these days
(And I know that Dan made that grand declaration in his video but I’m greedy and want more lol)
Last edited by Amiaw on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
whostolemyleftshoe
smol bean

I personally think they’re gonna use vidcon to clarify that they aren’t going to make much joint content anymore. I agree with what someone said about them wanting to do things separately in II. But also after being closeted/hiding their relationship for 10 years I can imagine they might just not know how to act around each other in public yet. Everyone in the phandom and probably some people outside of it are going to be waiting to see what they do next now that it’s basically been confirmed they’re a couple and I bet they’re feeling that pressure.
hownottodrive
smol bean

Hello! Long time lurker/deppy fan, first time poster.

I was on the same page as a lot of people about them addressing where they plan on going with YT (particularly joint content) so far at VidCon, but then I was thinking how would they do this? They have no joint appearances besides the m&g where I doubt they'd make an announcement, and I'd be shocked if Dan even gets mentioned in Phil's q&a with them still feeling out boundaries with being freshly out, so how would they even be able to talk about it? But, at the same time, if they're not addressing it at VidCon then when? Will they just Haru it? They're free to take their time of course, but I'm just anxious for the new normal.
livoy
phillion/danosaur <//3

whostolemyleftshoe wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 am I personally think they’re gonna use vidcon to clarify that they aren’t going to make much joint content anymore. I agree with what someone said about them wanting to do things separately in II. But also after being closeted/hiding their relationship for 10 years I can imagine they might just not know how to act around each other in public yet. Everyone in the phandom and probably some people outside of it are going to be waiting to see what they do next now that it’s basically been confirmed they’re a couple and I bet they’re feeling that pressure.
Definitely agree it seems like they're going to be moving away from joint content. Without too much-uninformed speculation, I would imagine that years of hiding a relationship would start to take a toll mentally. Now that they've been open with their audience, focusing on individual content would be best for them (short-term at least), to like you say, avoid the intense scrutiny that's gonna come as soon as they do anything together.

Of course, I really want to see them do stuff together again, but I appreciate that this is a difficult thing to navigate and if they're gonna focus on individual projects for the foreseeable future (for the sake of their private life) then, of course, I'll understand.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I still believe in the Devan wedding on DAPG. This is the most important joint content.
livoy
phillion/danosaur <//3

hownottodrive wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 am Hello! Long time lurker/deppy fan, first time poster.

I was on the same page as a lot of people about them addressing where they plan on going with YT (particularly joint content) so far at VidCon, but then I was thinking how would they do this? They have no joint appearances besides the m&g where I doubt they'd make an announcement, and I'd be shocked if Dan even gets mentioned in Phil's q&a with them still feeling out boundaries with being freshly out, so how would they even be able to talk about it? But, at the same time, if they're not addressing it at VidCon then when? Will they just Haru it? They're free to take their time of course, but I'm just anxious for the new normal.
Honestly, I have no idea (helpful I know haha). It's a good point, I'm really unsure how they'll actually approach this - I guess their individual appearances (particularly Phil Q&A) may bring up a general idea of future content. Aside from that, I feel like it's gonna be unaddressed for a while (in an ideal world I'd love another mukbang where they address the future of their content but I understand this is unlikely).
scientia
phabergé

hownottodrive wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:52 am Hello! Long time lurker/deppy fan, first time poster.

This was pretty much my same realization that lead to my post! The more I thought about it, I was like, when will they actually address their future joint content during VidCon? It seems as though they have specifically engineered it so they don't have to address it at all. Which is totally fine and I will happily enjoy and celebrate them separately. Though as Amiaw pointed out, I wouldn't be surprised if Phil mentions Dan during his Q&A.
whostolemyleftshoe wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 am I personally think they’re gonna use vidcon to clarify that they aren’t going to make much joint content anymore. I agree with what someone said about them wanting to do things separately in II. But also after being closeted/hiding their relationship for 10 years I can imagine they might just not know how to act around each other in public yet. Everyone in the phandom and probably some people outside of it are going to be waiting to see what they do next now that it’s basically been confirmed they’re a couple and I bet they’re feeling that pressure.
I agree that they have been hinting at this era of separate content since II. I wish there was a compilation of every time Dan specifically teased that II would be the last chance to see them. At the time I thought he was only referring to the last chance to see them on tour :shrug:
Last edited by scientia on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

plinthofmylife wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 am I still believe in the Devan wedding on DAPG. This is the most important joint content.
Me too!! I'm clinging to Dan going on about the last DvP being a "chapter" too. Also I think it would be a very unwise business move to axe all joint content.

I also just had this pop up in my recommended and had the biggest smile on my face watching it. They're such dorks and I love them.

socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

After the coming out vids, I've been in anytihing-is-possible mode. I've pretty much thrown any expectations of 2019 out the window because I genuinely never expected to see either of them explicitly talk about their sexuality/relationship like that (or at least so soon). To me, it really does feel like we're in a new era and anything truly could happen.
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
Cricket
tol bean

My baseless speculation opinion is that we will see a lot of continued individual projects/content and then after they’ve given some time for the coming out dust to settle and to feel out exactly what it looks like to be out to the public we will see joint content starting to work it’s way back in, probably mainly as something like filler content. Not because their joint content is insubstantial or meaningless or anything like that but because they clearly enjoy working together, they bounce off each other easily, and it’s easier/less time consuming to sit down with your partner and play a game or make some cookies or eat takeaway while filming it than it is to come up with, script, shoot, and edit a video idea, and I can’t see them fully giving up that option for content creation or fully giving up working with each other in an onscreen capacity.

I also think that while a lot of the individual content and branding right now is due to their wanting to pursue individual projects, quite a bit of it is also their strategy to avoid making their coming out all about their relationship. I think they always knew that being out would essentially confirm that relationship but as Dan said in BIG they don’t want to make their relationship the brand or the content and providing joint content in the leading up to it or bringing it back right after would definitely shift the story away from their individual experiences and onto the relationship. I think we’re going to have to wait a while longer to ascertain exactly what the new normal is going to be and in the meantime there will be a lot of vaguely frustrating sidestepping of the issue. Of course they could prove me wrong tomorrow with the way they’ve been out here defying my expectations every week lately so who knows :shrug:
knq
lava lamp

Dan saying they love working together was meaningful to me. Of course, they could work together exclusively behind the scenes--which seems to be what they've been doing this year--but I don't see them holding themselves to that standard post coming out unless they found they really prefer it, which I kind of doubt.

And I thought Dan was pretty clear that he needed the hiatus to focus on his coming out video, otherwise he'd procrastinate by doing other work (which could include filming gaming videos.) He's still exploring the immediate aftermath of coming out, going to his first pride, being more involved in LGBT+ activism. And I can see why they wouldn't want to pick up the joint branding again right after they've both been in the media when they're both wanting their relationship to stay private.

Now that Dan has made his coming out video, I think they'll work their way around to a dynamic that's comfortable for them. Even before the hiatus Dan seemed to think baking and mukbangs would be a thing. That's not exactly common, but it's something, and I trust they'll work out a good onscreen dynamic eventually. It's just not going to be on our timetable. But neither was the hiatus, and that turned out pretty great. :pride:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

socksparadox wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 am After the coming out vids, I've been in anytihing-is-possible mode. I've pretty much thrown any expectations of 2019 out the window because I genuinely never expected to see either of them explicitly talk about their sexuality/relationship like that (or at least so soon). To me, it really does feel like we're in a new era and anything truly could happen.
I'm with you on this thought. The last thing I thought would happen.. happened. The glass closet is shattered.

So like, I'm ready. I want changes, I wanna be surprised.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
whostolemyleftshoe
smol bean

Off topic: this fan video made me cry :happytears:

GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm This isn't Dan and Phil specific but since how much they make is a pretty common topic that comes around regularly, I thought I'd drop in this video where someone goes over her earnings for videos that hit a million or more views.
I appreciate that while Dan's coming out vid is 45 mins long, it only has ads in the very beginning and the very end. He didn't do it for the money. Though, every Pinof video since Pinof 8 is dragged just over 10 minutes to get the ad money in (even the Pinof 9 and 10 bloopers). Most of Phil's videos in recent years have been just over 10 mins for that very reason.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Daniel's DNA test video is there only to make money off it, but i.e. the Daniel and Depression video has no ads in the middle of it, which I applaud.
hintatty
drama llama

whostolemyleftshoe wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:36 am Off topic: this fan video made me cry :happytears:

this is too fucking nice i can't even parse all of the emotion in it. i find it so difficult to think about all of that "put my sexuality in a box to deal with later" time ... how difficult that must have been for phil, too. watching someone you care about struggle with being closeted is reaaaally difficult. speaking from experience :(
ravenreyes
sofa crease

i've been away for almost a week and only had time to check in from time to time
so it's a bit late, but seeing all the photos and everything from this weekend made me so incredibly happy :rainbow:

and about vidcon, as someone else mentioned, i have no idea what to expect from them anymore so idek
particularly with everything being so new and not really having anything new to go on and try to see what it's going to be like from now on
anyway, i'm excited but also not really expecting anything :ribena:
english is not my first language
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I agree with bits and pieces of what other posters have said. I think right now they're not jumping immediately back into joint content because I think they want to give room around the coming out videos so that the relationship aspect of it gets less scrutiny.

But I don't think joint content is gone forever. I think they called it a hiatus and very specifically said not the One Direction kind for a reason. Going back to a 2017 level of combined joint and individual content will be fantastic and I think ultimately their goal and the one that makes the most sense. Last year was the outlier in their overall careers (with Dan not making videos but being in Phil's constantly) and now we can understand better what Dan was avoiding on his own channel and why Phil's felt safer.
noodlebum
flower crown

I just saw mentioned elsewhere that Cat doesn't live in Vegas anymore, but Atlanta, which is interesting as I think a lot people thought she was the person they would be travelling with/visiting when they go after Vidcon. I wonder now if anyone else is joining them on their road trip?

Edit: Mind you looking on her twitter, she just says she's moving there this month, not when. So I guess they could still be visiting her if she's still there :shrug:
Last edited by noodlebum on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

noodlebum wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:33 pm I just saw mentioned elsewhere that Cat doesn't live in Vegas anymore, but Atlanta, which is interesting as I think a lot people thought she was the person they would be travelling with/visiting when they go after Vidcon. I wonder now if anyone else is joining them on their road trip?
I think Martyn and Cornelia are a safe bet if Cornelia is in LA, too. (Given her absence from the company pictures and her recent messages about bad health this year I won't be shocked if she decided not to make this trip though.)

In other news:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Guess Phil's not playing at pretending to be in London anymore lol. I bet even if Phil heard this on his own he still went back and gossiped about it to Dan. So judgey smh
And...well. It's Phil after all.
sparkle
blobfish

To go back to Dan, Phil, and Therapy.

They are literally the reason I started seeing a therapist last year and my life has done almost a 180. 2019 for many reasons has been the best of my life (passed my driving test first time - idk how I still think I should've failed on my parallel park but who am I to argue with the DVLA, got a graduate job, got a thigh tattoo I'd put off for years, went vegan, and ran a 5k) and literally the catalyst for everything was Daniel and Depression.

I still DID all that myself but Dan (and Phil, I watch Phil solo videos whenever I need a hug) pushed me into making the step of seeing a therapist whose helped me sort out a LOT of shit I never dealt with. And I can actually talk about my emotions to my friends now which is a big step!

All jokes aside like I really feel like I've grown up with them. When I started watching them in 2012 when I was 17 I was a wreck. Now it's 2019 and I'm 24 and things are going okay and it feels like I've been able to grow with them? I can properly see myself reflected in their development and it's nice?

(side note if the sims wedding happens on 19/10/19 - which is actually the same day I'm getting married lol - I may explode)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle: