Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

knq wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm Is IDB back? If so, that was a very short down-time, and yet while it was down Dan tweeted, Instagramed, dropped new merch, and both Dan and Phil's and Dan and Phil Productions account/tax statements dropped 3 months early on Companies House (why? :tinfoil:).
Oooooh, INTERESTING.
Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm
I love Dan and I'm happy for him, I normally wear a lot of black, but this aesthetic is not for me. I loved his skeleton merch, this just doesn't do it for me.

VidCon has signed posters of them for sale, a Dan and a Phil. (edit: apparently Dan's is just his skeleton drawing)
I'm curious why there's no joint merch whatsoever, and no joint poster. I suppose it's all outdated but surely they know people would throw money at it like crazy.
I feel like they're really just anticipating the anger people have at being sold something without content to match, and know that there would be backlash for joint merch with no joint content. I mean people are angry with Dan for a second round of merch when he posted a 45 minute video less than a month ago, so... yeah. Joint merch would not have gone over well.
kavat
pastel persona

Still not really sure why Dan decided to split into two drops, unless the new items weren't ready when the rest were. They aren't my taste anyway.

But I love that he knows his audience by now
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I am of the opinion that Dan and Phil want to be perceived as separate creators at this point.

Everyone now knows they're in a relationship and I think they want to ensure that their individual careers are solid before jumping into the continued branding of their partnership. That's not to say there won't be joint content, but maybe for now... their individuality is their career and their relationship is their personal life. Obviously, with the occasional duo moments.
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

I feel like the merch drop would have been more...tolerable? if he dropped it with the pins and skeleton merch. I wonder why he didn't just drop it all at once?
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
knq
lava lamp

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:55 pm
I love Dan and I'm happy for him, I normally wear a lot of black, but this aesthetic is not for me. I loved his skeleton merch, this just doesn't do it for me.

VidCon has signed posters of them for sale, a Dan and a Phil. (edit: apparently Dan's is just his skeleton drawing)
I'm curious why there's no joint merch whatsoever, and no joint poster. I suppose it's all outdated but surely they know people would throw money at it like crazy.
Edit - also dropping this here :prideheart2:
Am I allowed to feel represented by this if I'm not a lesbian? Because somehow I do. :shrug: :wavingflag:

imo the changes to joint content may have something to do with Dan saying he doesn't want to monetize his private life/relationships in BIG. I fully believe they'll make stuff again together when they're ready, just that that could be something for him to process before joint creative content returns.
liola
rankussy

Dan continues to somehow have the same aesthetic as me yet make merch I would never buy unless I jumped back into my 2007 phase. I'm also super confused by this merch drop, the last one was on June 18th, it hasn't even been a month - why? I guess there was a delay that made the hoodies/bags not ready last month but he needed to drop them before Vidcon but still.

I'm also really really missing joint merch and content, the instagram stories yesterday warmed my heart but I'd love to hear from them what's going to happen. I would love if Phil's Q&A would give us some answers but I'm not sure that's gonna happen.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy, rizzo, knq - good points and I agree! I don't expect new joint merch anytime soon, but I thought they may have brought the old stuff (like the pastel hoodies, II is outdated as heck).
I guess I don't want to come to terms with them being separate creators for the foreseeable future, even if I now - much better than before - understand the reasoning. But I do firmly believe we'll get some joint content soon.

I'm so excited for Dan's panel! I hope someone will stream or record it for us.
liola wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm Dan continues to somehow have the same aesthetic as me yet make merch I would never buy unless I jumped back into my 2007 phase. I'm also super confused by this merch drop, the last one was on June 18th, it hasn't even been a month - why? I guess there was a delay that made the hoodies/bags not ready last month but he needed to drop them before Vidcon but still.

I'm also really really missing joint merch and content, the instagram stories yesterday warmed my heart but I'd love to hear from them what's going to happen. I would love if Phil's Q&A would give us some answers but I'm not sure that's gonna happen.
+1 to all of this. I'm not sure how others feel, but it seems like Phil does a better job targetting the right audience with his merch?
I also don't think Phil will touch on any joint subjects in his Q&A.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I really want to know how on earth Phil will avoid talking about Dan or joint content for one hour long Q&A. Not that I underestimate hIs power, but like.. I am intrigued.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

liola wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm Dan continues to somehow have the same aesthetic as me yet make merch I would never buy unless I jumped back into my 2007 phase.
Same here. And the wildest part about this is that... I genuinely believe he likes his merch. Because he actively wears his own backpack out and about instead of like his old Givenchy or whatever. He really likes that patchwork situation.

Wild.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

knq wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:43 pm Is IDB back? If so, that was a very short down-time, and yet while it was down Dan tweeted, Instagramed, dropped new merch, and both Dan and Phil's and Dan and Phil Productions account/tax statements dropped 3 months early on Companies House (why? :tinfoil:).
Is there any significance to them releasing their statements early?
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

@knq i am barely a functioning adult so I don't understand what you mean by tax statements dropping 3 months early? I have seen stuff get renewed on all of their small companies around October but some clarification to why this is significant would be great.
glitterintheair wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:20 pm I really want to know how on earth Phil will avoid talking about Dan or joint content for one hour long Q&A. Not that I underestimate hIs power, but like.. I am intrigued.
he's got a way with words so i'm guessing we'll hear him avoid the question and we won't even notice he's done it until after. they must be very media trained for this if they decided to come out together.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
bevioletsky
glabella

liola wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:10 pm Dan continues to somehow have the same aesthetic as me yet make merch I would never buy unless I jumped back into my 2007 phase.
This is a huge mood, he has so many clothes I would wear and I’ve been there with the black-white-grey aesthetic for, like, twelve years, but none of his merch is to my personal taste. I don’t mind though, I don’t necessarily need new clothes, and from a selfish pov I’m glad he didn’t drop a candle yet because I just ordered the Phil one. Yeah I caved.

As for the two merch drops, I think there’s a possibility this stuff wasn’t ready a few weeks ago but was now and they wanted to sell it at Vidcon, but perhaps more likely I think all of this has been in the making for a long time and may have been ready for a good while as well, they just weren’t able to release it earlier in the year because Dan wasn’t putting out content and are playing catch-up now. As for why not release all of it at the same time, then, they seem to like to release merch in small, themed batches and I suppose this stuff didn’t go with the skeleton items. I don’t know if there’s a business-y reason for it, trying not to overwhelm us?

All of the instastories and pictures from yesterday were heartwarming, if you can say that about booty content, and it’s going to be an overwhelming week if they keep up the pace (how was I used to this last year?). LA/California time is not great for my sleep schedule though, unless I manage to ignore the fact that there’s stuff going on while I’m trying to sleep.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Could they have just had more time to work on the accounts during the hiatus?

Interesting merch designs, I looked at “cross-body bag” for a moment wondering how it differed from the bumbag/fanny pack it looks like, then read his explanation. Same thing indeed ;) did not expect to see one of those this side of 1990. I thought it was a shame he removed “embrace the void” from the courage to exist phrase when he released that merch, though it’s easier to read a shorter slogan on a T-shirt and it’s more to the point, also maybe not everyone thinks of a void along with depression, but anyway, makes for a good lot of design on its own. I have yet to like any of his merch enough to buy it, though. Just got my Phil merch and by goodness, that candle is strong. Hadn’t even got it out the box and I could smell it (maybe not also through the bubblewap). It’s a chunky big thing too, I didn’t realise how big it would be. Socks aren’t as thick as the previous ones, but they are comfortable and not scratchy, I remember someone wondered about that.

Bit surprised VidCon doesn’t seem to be streaming since they did before. The first VidCon I was around for, I couldn’t sleep and CrankThatFrank was streaming the comedy panel Dan was on with Jenna, GloZell, Colleen and Craig Benzine, so that was amazing. There’s enough phannies there, with any luck we’ll have someone taking point for us all.
fairylights
crusty sponge

i actually kind of like the merch dan dropped today. i prefer phil’s merch, but if i had the money, i might buy the embrace the void hoodie. potentially. the separate and spaced out merch releases don’t really bother me, but i rarely buy merch from them anyways, so.

i wanna know what the purpose of phil’s planet mirror is. would anyone actually buy/use it? seems cheap and pretty pointless.
knq
lava lamp

@snoopysadie @Amiaw woah woah woah no one said anything about having to be a functioning adult. I mean, I'm an adult, but the functioning part is questionable. :lol:

The only reason it's notable to me is it's a change from past behavior. IIRC most their companies have financial stuff due in late September/early October. (And I could be wrong, because the public website where you can look at UK companies is being wonky right now. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk) Last year they applied to have one of their companies filing dates moved to that time period, so they like them to all be due together. So their filing for their 3 main companies (excluding IRL which Martyn also owns) in July is a break from their normal pattern.

Potential hypotheses to explain this change in pattern:
  • They had some free time before London Pride and went hey, I know what would be fun, let's file our taxes!
  • Their accountant will be busy in September/October or they're changing accountants or something boring like that.
  • They'll be busy in September/October so decided to file early. They will be busy with:
  1. Getting married.
  2. Visiting Japan.
  3. Moving into their Forever Home.
  4. Getting married in the swanky garden of their Forever Home and then visiting Japan on their honeymoon.
Obviously this is an exhaustive list and there are no other possibilities.

Phil like of the Merch team:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I love the emojis by the boys’ names in that tweet, reminds me of Eddie Izzard, but “Space or death?” instead of cake.
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

Mental health panel with Dan starts in three hours: http://vidcon.com/agenda/12871/tackling ... lth-online
snoopysadie

knq wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:06 pm @snoopysadie @Amiaw woah woah woah no one said anything about having to be a functioning adult. I mean, I'm an adult, but the functioning part is questionable. :lol:

The only reason it's notable to me is it's a change from past behavior. IIRC most their companies have financial stuff due in late September/early October. (And I could be wrong, because the public website where you can look at UK companies is being wonky right now. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk) Last year they applied to have one of their companies filing dates moved to that time period, so they like them to all be due together. So their filing for their 3 main companies (excluding IRL which Martyn also owns) in July is a break from their normal pattern.

Potential hypotheses to explain this change in pattern:
  • They had some free time before London Pride and went hey, I know what would be fun, let's file our taxes!
  • Their accountant will be busy in September/October or they're changing accountants or something boring like that.
  • They'll be busy in September/October so decided to file early. They will be busy with:
  1. Getting married.
  2. Visiting Japan.
  3. Moving into their Forever Home.
  4. Getting married in the swanky garden of their Forever Home and then visiting Japan on their honeymoon.
Obviously this is an exhaustive list and there are no other possibilities.
oooooh now i get it thanks! :ribena:

also yes, with the absence of a new pinof they better celebrate their actual 10th anniversary with any of those options :pride:

(edit to make it a bit smaller)
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

Is there a Tumblr blog or something that would have old/rare pics of the guys archived?
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

flarequake wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 pm I love the emojis by the boys’ names in that tweet, reminds me of Eddie Izzard, but “Space or death?” instead of cake.
Please suggest this as a thread name because it’s bloody brilliant lol
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Negative opinion incoming:
oh man is gabbie hanna in that panel too? After her scam with the brushes i can't stand her at all. 😑

Thanks for the heads up. Hope I can catch it
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I saw on tumblr that the adcouncil Instagram page will be streaming the mental health panel
kavat
pastel persona

fairylights wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm i wanna know what the purpose of phil’s planet mirror is. would anyone actually buy/use it? seems cheap and pretty pointless.
I almost always have a pocket mirror in my handbag. I use it to check my makeup, when I touch up my lipstick or to see if I have anything between my teeth. I guess people use the front camera on their phones for that these days but that just doesn't feel right to me.

Though I do prefer pocket mirrors with a lid so the mirror doesn't get scratched by all the other junk I have in my bag.

And I think it's always good to provide something small and cheep, as most of the other merch they provide is £15+ and not everyone will spend that much. Hence why they sold lanyards and wristbands for so long after they've gone out of style.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I did not know anything about Dan and Phil until YouTube's algorithm suggested Dan's coming out video to me when it debuted. Queer content is of interest to me, so I watched, was utterly charmed and beguiled, and then fell headfirst into an immersive Internet obsession that was both deeply satisfying and deeply distressing in how hijacked my brain felt. I am so happy I never knew about these two lads when their career was unfolding in real time because I think it would have wrecked (REKT?) me.

Re: an earlier comment. I too this week talked to my therapist about why I have fallen so hard into this universe and WHAT DID IT MEAN?

So I'm just going to brain dump here some of the stored-up observations I’ve had in reaction to both Dan and Phil’s coming out videos but also all of their other content I’ve inhaled the last few weeks.

Laugh and listen: So apparently watching other people laugh and be physically affectionate is therapeutic for me. I am completely fascinated by how much fun they have together. I’m also really intrigued by their conversational style – it reminds me of the “yes, and” idea of improvisational comedy, where you don’t steer an interaction; instead you just listen, pay attention, and respond in the moment to the other person and let that willingness and openness become the force that helps each participant discover what they are mutually creating. While I’m sure there is scripting and artifice that goes into a filmed conversation, I do think the fact that they are honestly listening and responding to each other is what gives their interactions such authenticity and vitality. That’s quite a different way from how I approach conversation – and it makes me want to try out a more fluid interpersonal approach.

Expression and acceptance: I adored the anger, the sexual energy, the absolute defiance and empathy in Dan’s video. And I equally adored the humor, the positivity, the reassurance, and the playfulness of Phil’s video. Both made me think a bit more the last few weeks about what it means to truly accept and understand yourself, rather than performing for someone else, and the bravery involved in that choice.

Creative control: What I love about being a pop culture consumer is finding content that has a backbone made up of intelligence and unapologetic aesthetic commitment. I get that in spades from most – not all – of DNPs content. The stuff from this past year (videos, social media posts, marketing) in particular seems very strategic to me – a conscious uncoupling, perhaps, but with a definite creative vision. I find that fascinating, and am very curious about the logistics of it all – the conversations that go into establishing a creative arc or changing an established creative brand. As someone who isn’t particularly creative, I find the sense of ownership I get from DNP’s content to be just as interesting as the content itself.

Since I’m new, I’m not particularly invested in their private lives. My take on Dan’s video was that he was making it clear that their romantic relationship was in the past, that the present is one of platonic companionship and creative partnership, and that the future is for fucking around. I would be happy to be proven wrong, though, but in general don't want to speculate.

In terms of future content, from Phil I’d love to see him get really, really weird. I would totally watch some surreal, absurdist shit from him. From Dan, I’d love to see some highly produced video essays, even if that means like four videos a year. I do love the joint gaming content, though, and would be happy if they did more of that. If both of them decide to try other pursuits – writing, film, producing – I’d still be interested in following their careers.

A random list of things I’ve been introduced to via DNP:
  • The theory of parasocial interactions/relationships
  • The ContraPoints channel
  • A better understanding of meme culture

Things I’ve bought because of DNP:
  • The Obama Llama game
  • Ribena
  • Malteasers
-- Signed a 44 y/o woman who has been massively touched, inspired, and entertained, but would really like to get the fuck back to my life now
Secretstanner
truth bomb

kavat wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:08 pm
fairylights wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm i wanna know what the purpose of phil’s planet mirror is. would anyone actually buy/use it? seems cheap and pretty pointless.
I almost always have a pocket mirror in my handbag. I use it to check my makeup, when I touch up my lipstick or to see if I have anything between my teeth. I guess people use the front camera on their phones for that these days but that just doesn't feel right to me.

Though I do prefer pocket mirrors with a lid so the mirror doesn't get scratched by all the other junk I have in my bag.

And I think it's always good to provide something small and cheep, as most of the other merch they provide is £15+ and not everyone will spend that much. Hence why they sold lanyards and wristbands for so long after they've gone out of style.
I think it’s actually a really cute idea and I love the design. I do too wish it had a lid to protect the mirror from dirt and scratches that happens when you throw it in the bottom of your bag. Not everyone likes to wear merch but they still want to get things like pins or just to feel like they are helping out creators. It’s only a few pounds not everyone has the money to spend £40 on a hoodie when they have pocket money