Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
starwatersong
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Also, in the comments of Anthony Padilla's most recent video:

"ALSO come back next week for I spent a day with LEGENDARY YOUTUBERS (yep, guess who’s in it)
luv, anthony padildo"

Can we hope?
Secretstanner
truth bomb

starwatersong wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 am Also, in the comments of Anthony Padilla's most recent video:

"ALSO come back next week for I spent a day with LEGENDARY YOUTUBERS (yep, guess who’s in it)
luv, anthony padildo"

Can we hope?
Well if they are then I guess the whole thing about them wanting to wait to do a video together not on someone’s channel will be wrong. Dunno how I’d feel because then what really was the point if doing youtubers react separately? It would of been better to just not do it. I think the vidcon now videos will be separate too because they only had a photo of dan on the story so I took that as filming alone again. I’m confused I guess we’ll see
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Dunno how I feel about that, if it is them - on the one hand, I’m not the *biggest* fan of Anthony and them appearing together in one of his vids before anything of their own this year isn’t my favourite idea ... on the other hand I’m so starved for joint content I’d take just about anything at this point. I just hope, if it is them, that it is both of them together and not just ‘here’s some stuff I did with Dan’ and then ‘here’s some stuff I did with Phil’.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
starwatersong
phabergé

Maybe it'll be vloggier -- like SimplyNailogical's upcoming video from Vidcon.
noodlebum
flower crown

Pleaseeee let us see some vidcon footage with dnp in from various youtubers soon!
Ablissa
pastel persona

madzilla84 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 am Dunno how I feel about that, if it is them - on the one hand, I’m not the *biggest* fan of Anthony and them appearing together in one of his vids before anything of their own this year isn’t my favourite idea ... on the other hand I’m so starved for joint content I’d take just about anything at this point. I just hope, if it is them, that it is both of them together and not just ‘here’s some stuff I did with Dan’ and then ‘here’s some stuff I did with Phil’.
You described all of my feelings there.
I kinda don't want their first joint video of the year to be with Anthony... I don't like or dislike him, I just don't care for him (I do like his new hair though, that's something :lol:) and I feel like they should film and post their first joint video with just the two of them.

If they do something with Anthony and nothing together, then I will begin to wonder why they did React separately, because I'm firmly convinced it was to avoid appearing together prior to posting something of their own.

EDIT: Unless they post something this weekend? But I highly doubt that.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I know Anthony’s hint seems heavy, but he hasn’t actually said it’s Dan and Phil, so it might not be. It’s weird how quickly things seem to go quiet, though.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I wouldn't keep my hopes up for Anthony to feature D&P. When he originally asked for recos for the vid, he was very specific on it being "new" youtubers:

:shrug:

TBH, I was really hoping for that Safiya collab, but my hope is starting to lose steam.... Though, I guess editing takes time and I'm being exceptionally pessimistic.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:09 am Dunno how I feel about that, if it is them - on the one hand, I’m not the *biggest* fan of Anthony and them appearing together in one of his vids before anything of their own this year isn’t my favourite idea ... on the other hand I’m so starved for joint content I’d take just about anything at this point. I just hope, if it is them, that it is both of them together and not just ‘here’s some stuff I did with Dan’ and then ‘here’s some stuff I did with Phil’.
This pretty much sums up how I feel.

Though I wonder if he just vlogged them all hanging out and he's including Charlie, Molly, etc in the 'legendary' too. A whole group of og youtubers just talking about the past could be kinda cool?
rizzo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm I wouldn't keep my hopes up for Anthony to feature D&P. When he originally asked for recos for the vid, he was very specific on it being "new" youtubers:

:shrug:

TBH, I was really hoping for that Safiya collab, but my hope is starting to lose steam.... Though, I guess editing takes time and I'm being exceptionally pessimistic.
Ooh, coming back in here to say yeah, that makes a big difference.
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Time to diversify your wardrobe Danny boy, black jumpers are not ideal in 40 degree heat
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

rizzo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm TBH, I was really hoping for that Safiya collab, but my hope is starting to lose steam.... Though, I guess editing takes time and I'm being exceptionally pessimistic.
Double posting to say that it's not at all uncommon for Safiya to release videos months after actually filming them. She's mentioned before that she's often filming multiple videos at once so they don't always go up in order. I'm still holding out hope for that collab.
Puffy
drama llama

Lobster wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 pm
rizzo wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:44 pm TBH, I was really hoping for that Safiya collab, but my hope is starting to lose steam.... Though, I guess editing takes time and I'm being exceptionally pessimistic.
Double posting to say that it's not at all uncommon for Safiya to release videos months after actually filming them. She's mentioned before that she's often filming multiple videos at once so they don't always go up in order. I'm still holding out hope for that collab.
Yeah and Saf is currently posting a Japan series and mentioned a couple months ago that there was going to be a delay in her posting something else because she was working through the Japan stuff. I can’t remember what she was delaying, but if she’s already doing that, there’s still a chance there’ll be a deppy collab!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Yea I don't think that it will be a DNP collab with Anthony, but I'm reasonably hopeful that a few months from now we'll get a Saf collab - that being said, Phil said it was a collab he'd love to do at Vidcon, which indicates to me that he didn't actually have plans and they had very little time between his Q&A when he said that and when they left california.

(I would LOVE it if they filmed a collab with John Salomone when they got there early)
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Cool that Dan is determined to go outside no matter the weather now. Though if they don't have air-con in their apartment then it's probably better to hang outside in the shadows.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

moon-boye
smol bean

so m&c are still in america, at the grand canyon ... i feel robbed of the inevitable "the view was pretty but he was prettier" photo that would've been on dan's camera roll had they extended their holiday :(
:rainbow: :cactus:
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

His eyes... are so pretty?

We've kinda moved on but I've been off the grid so chipping back in: they do know that some people closely follow their likes and follows and they make use of that fact, but I wonder how they don't feel very... watched. I think it's possible they have secret accounts (social media, Spotify and stuff) to just... look at things without people thinking it might mean something. Being internet dwellers is part of their brand after all, and that probably involves being free to lurk.
Conversely, an unexpected like or follow does mean something. DÖG?
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

poweroftriangles wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:52 pm His eyes... are so pretty?

We've kinda moved on but I've been off the grid so chipping back in: they do know that some people closely follow their likes and follows and they make use of that fact, but I wonder how they don't feel very... watched. I think it's possible they have secret accounts (social media, Spotify and stuff) to just... look at things without people thinking it might mean something. Being internet dwellers is part of their brand after all, and that probably involves being free to lurk.
Conversely, an unexpected like or follow does mean something. DÖG?
Considering they always have said they spend a lot of days just browsing the internet on various social media they probably have multiple accounts that aren't their public ones on tumblr, twitter, etc...
Also, Phil "accidentaly" liking tweets that he unlike after realizing it does confirms he lurks a lot at leats on his replies (opening what people respond to other tweets responding to him) which is normal but confirms he at least is curious about his fans, right ?
stufflizloves
living flop

moon-boye wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm so m&c are still in america, at the grand canyon ... i feel robbed of the inevitable "the view was pretty but he was prettier" photo that would've been on dan's camera roll had they extended their holiday :(
this is pretty interesting to me...i wonder what the rush was to get back to london? perhaps a boring explanation like having purchased (or been gifted) the tickets to the bbc symphony prior to their holiday plans and needing to get back by then? or maybe not wanting to do the tag-along-couple thing for the ENTIRE trip? but...since both channels (all? #RIPDAPG) are mia at the moment, it ain’t that. and since m & c are still vacationing, i very much doubt they have pressing merch duties to return to.

could it be...personal reasons? ITS PROBABLY THE BORING ONES like seeing their lawyers and financial planners BUT... speculation is fun.
Ablissa
pastel persona

stufflizloves wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm
could it be...personal reasons? ITS PROBABLY THE BORING ONES like seeing their lawyers and financial planners BUT... speculation is fun.
Maybe they're in a rush because 🚚
Moving Hill is thriving
Becky.rigby
living flop

I don't mean to sound moany but I really wish they would communicate with us. I'm a vet nurse and this week I'm working 58 hours, some 11 hour days. I wouldn't be able to take 6 months off work. I understand why now, but I just wish they would communicate with us and let us know what they are doing so it doesn't seem like they are just doing nothing. It is their job, even a short tweet letting us know their plans would be sufficient. They are one of the only youtubers I watch really and could really do with cheering up, I really want a new video :(
Cricket
tol bean

I totally understand the frustration about lack of content but the way I see it they’re entertainers and it’s pretty common for people in the entertainment industry to go spans of months without putting out new content? Actors take breaks between projects or at least between appearing in/releasing projects, musicians do the same with breaks between albums that aren’t always taken up with tours, artists and authors go long spans of time between creative projects, etc. we knew there was going to be a hiatus on dapg, we now know why, we know they’ve been working on other projects that aren’t ready for general consumption yet. Idk I just feel like for the industry they are in taking a prolonged break isn’t out of the ordinary
stufflizloves
living flop

Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:18 pm
stufflizloves wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm
Maybe they're in a rush because 🚚
Moving Hill is thriving
*packs a bag & joins yall*
i’m bringing popcorn
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I've been down this road before (I did a post on my own experience of being a full-time creator awhile ago about what work entails). I would also like an update, but I'd encourage people to remember that being an entertainer and running a merch company is not the same as a jobs where you have a boss or are in a service/care-related role.

1) Often you spend a lot of time working on pitches/treatments for things that end up going nowhere but you can't talk about. My friend who's a TV showrunner and writer (with multiple employees) will write 10-12 treatments a year, and then once every few years one will actually get sent to pilot. That pilot can't be talked about for another 8 months or so - that means that it looks like she's doing nothing for 3+ years at a time despite working her ass off every day.

If Phil (and possibly Dan) are really doing pitches and projects right now, they could be working their asses off and completely unable to talk about it. Lilly Singh "took a break" from vlogging and it turned out she was getting her own late night show, which she'd been in talks for years about. Just because things can't be announced doesn't mean they're not happening. Dan and Phil were in talks with the BBC for 2 years before they got their radio show (as evidenced by the whiteboard of "rules" seen in their apartment from 2011.)

2) They both did merch releases in the past 3 weeks which do take a lot of work. I run a merch business. It takes a lot of time and work, even when you have staff.

3) Dan made a 45 minute masterpiece video that came out 6 weeks ago and took nearly a year to make. If he was a musician, that would've been an album. It's okay if he doesn't announce his next plans immediately.

4) Many many youtubers agree (as evidenced by the mental health panel + every other creator convo I heard at Vidcon) that the expectation of frequent, constant, unending content is a terrible, terrible cycle.

Anyway, I want communication. I just hate when people get frustrated that Dan and Phil aren't "doing their job". There's so much behind the scenes work that goes into a creative career, and in the entertainment industry the lawyers and contracts make it hard to talk about things if you're playing on the level of Dan and Phil. Also, Dan and Phil's entire life and relationship is part of what we view as the package of their content - but that doesn't mean they owe the world constant updates on their lives or "they're not doing their job". Plenty of entertainers create content, people like that content, and then they go back into creation hole. It doesn't disparage the work they've done to that point if they take a break from putting the content out.

</ plinthofmylife's regular "creative careers are not the same as other careers" monthly rant>
hello9217
flower crown

I just thought they came back early to see the planets show