Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

anna_begins wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:49 pm It's 2019 and traditional media still doesn't understand how online influence works. The fact that Josh Pieters, who is lucky if he gets 100 likes on his tweets and 20 comments on his instagram posts is on the list and Dan, someone who was inactive for most of the year yet posts just one video and is featured on cnn, bbc, forbes, gets reactions from world leaders, and his social media engagement is at an all-time high proves that the people who compile "most influential" lists are clueless on the subject.
I'm not trying to diminish Dan's video or it's importance but let's not ignore the fact that it got the attention it did is because it was a coming out video. Had it been another funny storytime or ISG video it would have gotten the typical reaction we usually see.

I think most influential lists are shit anyway. It doesn't explain why the person is considered influential and as we can see from the number one placeholder, it clearly doesn't care about the kind of people doing the influencing.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I was watching PJ's new video with Chris and I had an idea. Wouldn't it be amazing if PJ, Chris, Dan and Phil made a video of the 4 of them playing Tomska's new board game? I know it's highly unlikely but it seems like the timing is ripe for them to have a lowkey reunion. They all seem on good terms at the moment (Dan complimenting Chris after PJ's tour show they saw, Chris has been liking a lot of Dan's tweets recently) and they all support Tom - this would be the perfect excuse for them to get together. (I know this will never happen for various reasons but a girl can dream, lol)
parallel
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Megancita75 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:34 pm I am interested in the way DnP use the words "stood" and "sat" differently that I, an American, do. They say things like "I was stood there" when I would say "I was standing there" or "we were sat at the table" when I would say "we were sitting at the table." I've been impressed in some of the fanfic I've been reading that the writers keep to this usage, though I'm sure not everyone is from the UK. Anyway, I've tried to research this verb conjugation difference between American and UK English and am not finding much. Can anyone from the UK tell me if this usage is common, or if it's just a DnP thing?
As a British person, both sound normal to me. Maybe that's just because I'm a part of the generation that grew up with the internet and therefore would've had a lot more exposure to American culture than older Brits would've
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

We waited until the dust settled some, and now... the Dan and Phil Survey is back for 2019!

If you’re unfamiliar with what we do: this survey aims to gain a better understanding of what people who watch Dan and Phil are actually like through a series of multiple choice questions, including those about age, social media use, and how people view and interact with the content that Dan and Phil produce and the fandom around them. You can view the survey results from previous years here.

All responses are anonymous, so please be as honest as possible. Upon completion the results will be posted on tumblr and open for all to view. If you have any questions, we can be found on tumblr here or twitter here.

:laptoprat: CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY :laptoprat:

The accuracy of this survey is dependent upon you guys. Any help you can give for exposure by posting links on social media, or reblogging/retweeting our posts would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, and please share it on whatever fandom social media you have! The more responses we get, the more accurate the survey results will be.

On a personal note: I'd just like to thank lefthandedism and itasca00 for all of the hours of work they've put into this. They've truly been an inspiration to watch and to work with on it!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 pm We waited until the dust settled some, and now... the Dan and Phil Survey is back for 2019!
If you’re unfamiliar with what we do: this survey aims to gain a better understanding of what people who watch Dan and Phil are actually like through a series of multiple choice questions, including those about age, social media use, and how people view and interact with the content that Dan and Phil produce and the fandom around them. You can view the survey results from previous years here.

All responses are anonymous, so please be as honest as possible. Upon completion the results will be posted on tumblr and open for all to view. If you have any questions, we can be found on tumblr here or twitter here.

:laptoprat: CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY :laptoprat:

The accuracy of this survey is dependent upon you guys. Any help you can give for exposure by posting links on social media, or reblogging/retweeting our posts would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, and please share it on whatever fandom social media you have! The more responses we get, the more accurate the survey results will be.
On a personal note: I'd just like to thank lefthandedism and itasca00 for all of the hours of work they've put into this. They've truly been an inspiration to watch and to work with on it!
I came here to say the comparable thing: alittledizzy and itasca00 were the best companions in the survey trenches!

Now, everyone go take it! We're so excited to see the results.

:rainbow: CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY <3
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

I always love filling out the survey and seeing the results, looking forward to it!

In :betta: news:
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella

kavat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:43 pm I always love filling out the survey and seeing the results, looking forward to it!

I still can't believe after all that aquascaping of real plants, Dan allowed Phil to put a big plastic leaf on the side of the tank :lol: :betta:
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:21 pm On a personal note: I'd just like to thank lefthandedism and itasca00 for all of the hours of work they've put into this. They've truly been an inspiration to watch and to work with on it!
lefthandedism wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:36 pm I came here to say the comparable thing: alittledizzy and itasca00 were the best companions in the survey trenches!
I also need to thank alittledizzy and lefthandedism for being so awesome to work with these past several months! Putting together this year's survey required a ton of work from all of us, and I'm grateful for the team we had, which made this work doable. :ribena:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oooh Dan... and his family... for two whole weeks...

Though I remember seeing Adrian's ig story from a few days ago saying he was heading to France so I wonder if Dan's actually already there?
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 pm Oooh Dan... and his family... for two whole weeks...

Though I remember seeing Adrian's ig story from a few days ago saying he was heading to France so I wonder if Dan's actually already there?
Wow... two weeks... I think that’s even longer than their Sri Lanka trip a couple years back...
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I need insta stories of Dan exploring my country.

Also fun fact : if he is indeed with Adrian, then they are in a remote place in a part of France that we call the "diagonal of the void" and i think it's very fitting!
:gayaf:
likeinlatin
smol bean

France ! I've been back in the US for two months with my family while I wait to go back to Paris for school and while it was necessary to come back for a bit (money and visa issues lol @ French bureaucracy) I miss it and especially French countryside :-( I hope Dan has a great time !
Phantasy
woodland creature

Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm
kavat wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:43 pm I always love filling out the survey and seeing the results, looking forward to it!

I still can't believe after all that aquascaping of real plants, Dan allowed Phil to put a big plastic leaf on the side of the tank :lol: :betta:
If Dan is in France already that would explain things lol
Philly’s going rogue!
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Phantasy wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:18 pm
Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm

If Dan is in France already that would explain things lol
Philly’s going rogue!
Live it up, Phil! But for christ's sake, put a lid on that tank before Norman yeets himself out of it.
knq
lava lamp

Two weeks and he can’t leave early if he wanted to because they went on a ferry. Am I understanding that right?

Holy shit that’s trust. All I can think is that coming out must have gone really, incredibly, epically well. I love my family but I’m anxious just thinking about it. I’m not one for travel in general though.

The plastic, suction cup leaf does make more sense now. Dan’s going to be stuck with it now that Norman likes it though.

I’m thinking about the timing of Norman’s adoption and wondering if Phil just straight up replaced Dan with a fish.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil liked this tweet so it looks like Norman did come at the right time lol
Phantasy
woodland creature

Amiaw wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:17 pm Phil liked this tweet so it looks like Norman did come at the right time lol
This. Is. Hilarious.
:stan: Hector
Neons
spork

Hello, de-lurking (have posted on the introductions bit as well). I love this forum. :D

I wanted to share something I found recently that I thought might interest you guys (I have a vague memories of people in this thread being curious to know what some of DnP's queer cultural influences might have been growing up I think?).

So here's a snap shot of Phil's YouTube on the Internet Archive from September 2007 (note you have to put the URL as "youtube.com/user/amazingphil" to get results going back that far): http://web.archive.org/web/200709171732 ... mazingphil

I noticed that among his favourited videos is a clip of John Paul and Craig from Hollyoaks. Now, for those unaware, Hollyoaks is a British soap opera (aimed more at teens/young adults than most soaps) and those two were a big long-running queer storyline on it. Like, really big. Any babygay of that time that knew what was good for them would have been watching JP & Craig gettin' all passionate and angsty on TV every evening.

They even have their own wikipedia article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pau ... Craig_Dean

The fact that young Phil was invested enough in it to seek out clips on YouTube and favourite them makes me happy for some reason. Maybe because I'm only a year younger than Phil and also queer and British and I remember that storyline from when it aired and how appreciative I was of the representation (Kris was always my favourite Hollyoaks character though). I'm so intrigued by Phil as a person so I like finding little things like this. (Also I have too much time on my hands that I even found this in the first place, I know.)

Bonus tweet from a year later, Phil still having affection for John Paul:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Neons wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am The fact that young Phil was invested enough in it to seek out clips on YouTube and favourite them makes me happy for some reason. Maybe because I'm only a year younger than Phil and also queer and British and I remember that storyline from when it aired and how appreciative I was of the representation
Thanks for sharing that it makes me really happy to know that Phil was a fan of Craig and Jon Paul, they meant a lot to me, especially because at that time seeing stories about young gay people was a rarity.
:wavingflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Neons wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am Hello, de-lurking (have posted on the introductions bit as well). I love this forum. :D

I wanted to share something I found recently that I thought might interest you guys (I have a vague memories of people in this thread being curious to know what some of DnP's queer cultural influences might have been growing up I think?).

So here's a snap shot of Phil's YouTube on the Internet Archive from September 2007 (note you have to put the URL as "youtube.com/user/amazingphil" to get results going back that far): http://web.archive.org/web/200709171732 ... mazingphil

I noticed that among his favourited videos is a clip of John Paul and Craig from Hollyoaks. Now, for those unaware, Hollyoaks is a British soap opera (aimed more at teens/young adults than most soaps) and those two were a big long-running queer storyline on it. Like, really big. Any babygay of that time that knew what was good for them would have been watching JP & Craig gettin' all passionate and angsty on TV every evening.

They even have their own wikipedia article: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Pau ... Craig_Dean

The fact that young Phil was invested enough in it to seek out clips on YouTube and favourite them makes me happy for some reason. Maybe because I'm only a year younger than Phil and also queer and British and I remember that storyline from when it aired and how appreciative I was of the representation (Kris was always my favourite Hollyoaks character though). I'm so intrigued by Phil as a person so I like finding little things like this. (Also I have too much time on my hands that I even found this in the first place, I know.)

Oh I love that so much. Thank you for sharing that!!

It makes me think of 2009 Phil tweeting about how much he liked the gay couple on big brother. :rainbowtears:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oooh, Phil, where you at, bud...

liola
rankussy

I am dead, deceased, gone, murdered, 100% a ghost and no more a living being HOW CAN HE LOOK SO GOOD AND WHY HES NOT MY HUSBAND I DEMAND AN ANSWER @ UNIVERSE
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Neons
spork

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:00 pm
Neons wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:03 am Hello, de-lurking (have posted on the introductions bit as well). I love this forum. :D

Oh I love that so much. Thank you for sharing that!!

It makes me think of 2009 Phil tweeting about how much he liked the gay couple on big brother. :rainbowtears:
Ah yes Charlie & Rodrigo. I watched that series of Big Brother as well funnily enough. IIRC they were the first gay romance on UK BB. I think Phil and I watched a lot of the same things around then; I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to subscribe to him! I feel like he and I would have made good Twitter friends.

Edit: oh god Phil you beauty...
Last edited by Neons on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knq
lava lamp

Same place Bryony was at yesterday, looks like. Damn his hair looks good.
stufflizloves
living flop

liola wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:35 pm I am dead, deceased, gone, murdered, 100% a ghost and no more a living being HOW CAN HE LOOK SO GOOD AND WHY HES NOT MY HUSBAND I DEMAND AN ANSWER @ UNIVERSE
/cackling :rofl:

i do love a good sexy-on-main post while the boyfriend is away, eh? is this bryony’s family’s allotment? have we seen pictures of that?