Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m really curious about what they did in Osaka because other than city scape photos they didn’t really share much.

I’m still slightly confused about the timeline but I’m leaning towards them still being in Japan and it’s mostly because of their posting time
stufflizloves
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

wow i just spent entirely too long reading about a video game that i don’t play and will never play.

if you want to feel a lot of feels the descriptors “seekers of the sun” and “keepers of the moon” will do it to you.

does anyone play final fantasy? because the description of the miqo’tes sounds like the most dan and phil shit i’ve ever read
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm just...I'm just in a state of bliss and intense screaming simultaneously because they really did that, and I'm so extremely emotional about Japhan it's unreal. I love waking up to this stuff everyday. I'm going to miss it when it's gone, just like the first time around, but more than anything I'm just glad to be in this moment and glad they're sharing this with us :happytears:
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

parallel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:22 pm
bluecaterpillar wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:08 pm i think this twitter like is the most explicit dan has ever been about how he's voting (although it's been fairly obvious since at least the 2017 election anyway).
I mean he's always liked Labour tweets hasn't he? And in the 2017 election seemed to be fairly public about supporting Corbyn (he made that ditty didn't he?). I dunno, I don't see his liking that tweet as particularly surprising but good for him.

Dan being quite vocal about his politics has always made me wonder about Phil's politics. I can't imagine Dan standing Phil if he was a Tory but I genuinely have no idea what Phil's politics might be other than "can't be something that Dan finds abhorrent". Makes you wonder if Phil might be one of those "I'm not super interested in politics" people (I assume he at least votes though) or if he just has a very different attitude to Dan in terms of sharing political views online.
I kind of get the impression that Phil is not that interested in politics. I also wonder if he's a little bit impressionable or somewhat easily persuaded and apt to change his opinion if someone feels or argues strongly about something. It sometimes seems like he is the type to just quietly go along with whatever Dan is saying, although perhaps he just doesn't want to rock the boat by stating any opinion directly. Who knows? Perhaps he is more open privately. I do think that he's definitely the type to avoid any confrontation to the point of even avoiding discussion - certainly in public forums, but I'd speculate privately as well.

I also have the feeling that their areas of disagreement are more related to philosophical/spiritual/metaphysical/religious/etc. areas, partly because Dan seems to be a very strong sceptic, whereas Phil seems to believe in ghosts and the paranormal and seems more open to things like conspiracy theories/astrology/fortune-telling/signs from the universe, etc. They've even alluded to disagreeing on things like that before. So I wonder if this might be an area Phil is more interested in/feels more invested in. Perhaps he just thinks it's safer to express those particular opinions and thinks that he's less likely to receive backlash for them.

It goes without saying that you should take everything I've said with a massive pinch of salt. Just my two cents. :shrug:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

If anything I think Phil is very private and is capable of a lot more than he’s given credit for. I never expected him to be out for years and let us know so casually or do events on his own but he did those things without the anxiety that I assumed he’d show and he also dropped that podcast on us out of the blue and we never saw any of that coming. He’s definitely capable of opening up more but I think in general he’s satisfied with being low key
George
sad dimple

dogsaremybestfriends wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:55 pm I kind of get the impression that Phil is not that interested in politics. I also wonder if he's a little bit impressionable or somewhat easily persuaded and apt to change his opinion if someone feels or argues strongly about something. It sometimes seems like he is the type to just quietly go along with whatever Dan is saying, although perhaps he just doesn't want to rock the boat by stating any opinion directly. Who knows? Perhaps he is more open privately. I do think that he's definitely the type to avoid any confrontation to the point of even avoiding discussion - certainly in public forums, but I'd speculate privately as well.
I had to say I completely disargee. The impression I get from Phil is that he's really sure of himself and his opinions. Which is why he doesn't have a need to state them to the whole world. Dan's a different story...
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
Hrududu
smol bean

That’s so interesting. For some reason I’ve always imagined it’s the other way around. That Phil is pretty sure about himself and Dan is easily swayed. Dan always comes across as someone who is very woke. But will always follow what the internet tells him is the right way to think.

I could be way off on that of course I’m just surmising. But on any topic or controversial issue I’m pretty confident I know what side Dan will fall on. Phil on the other hand, you never known with him.
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

Hrududu wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:24 pm That’s so interesting. For some reason I’ve always imagined it’s the other way around. That Phil is pretty sure about himself and Dan is easily swayed. Dan always comes across as someone who is very woke. But will always follow what the internet tells him is the right way to think.

I could be way off on that of course I’m just surmising. But on any topic or controversial issue I’m pretty confident I know what side Dan will fall on. Phil on the other hand, you never known with him.
I should clarify that I'm talking about the area of politics. I partly think he goes along with what Dan says because he doesn't really care that much about politics. So, for example, he perhaps used to just vote how his parents vote or how he was brought up to vote, but if someone (let's say Dan) voted differently, he'd just change it to go along with that instead, because he doesn't feel strongly either way. I must admit I can be a bit like that, because I'm not that interested in politics (partly because I'm just tired of undelivered promises from all major political parties, etc.) and have often just gone with how I've been persuaded to vote by someone else who knows or cares more, or who has researched it more.

I might be totally wrong though. I think it's possible that they don't agree on politics at all. Dan might be easily persuaded too, but I think he is invested in politics, so it matters to him to research what is presented to him more.

I do get the impression Phil is sure of other opinions he holds that are in areas that he's more invested. I'm also not saying that I think Dan is sure of his opinions or close-minded. But I do think Dan really likes to research and I agree that, to some degree, he feels a need to have the 'right' opinion - especially with regards to politics.

I partly said that I thought Phil was easily persuaded, because he reminds me of someone I know who's like that too. Sometimes people who don't like conflict just say yes to an opinion or say they're persuaded of it to stop the discussion - they see it as an 'argument' - and maybe don't really agree with you. I am probably projecting that onto him, because there are people in my life who are very like that. So I've pieced it together based on the fact he doesn't like conflict and kind of added what I know about other people in my life who don't like conflict onto that, if that makes sense. :shrug: It's not necessarily that he's unsure of himself. I think it could just be that he's open-minded. Now that I think about it, Dan is probably similar. I think they both really dislike conflict. Just based on what they've said, it seems like Phil HATES it and Dan (perhaps more on the behalf of others, as he says) can tolerate it a tiny bit more. Although, I do think Dan is paranoid about not upsetting anyone.

Okay, that's enough. I am going to stop speculating Probably all my opinions and ideas are false. Lol. Don't know if I'm making any sense anymore. :shrug: :D Interesting as always to see varied opinions and discussions, and I hope everyone doesn't take anything I say seriously. ;) :)
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

George wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:23 pm
dogsaremybestfriends wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:55 pm I kind of get the impression that Phil is not that interested in politics. I also wonder if he's a little bit impressionable or somewhat easily persuaded and apt to change his opinion if someone feels or argues strongly about something. It sometimes seems like he is the type to just quietly go along with whatever Dan is saying, although perhaps he just doesn't want to rock the boat by stating any opinion directly. Who knows? Perhaps he is more open privately. I do think that he's definitely the type to avoid any confrontation to the point of even avoiding discussion - certainly in public forums, but I'd speculate privately as well.
I had to say I completely disargee. The impression I get from Phil is that he's really sure of himself and his opinions. Which is why he doesn't have a need to state them to the whole world. Dan's a different story...
That's a good point. Maybe Dan is 'searching' more for the 'right' opinion and isn't so sure of what he truly thinks. I do think Dan seems to feel this need to outwardly 'prove' himself more - at least when it comes to what he presents online.Though, I should clarify that I was talking specifically about politics with regards to Phil. I do think Phil is sure of other opinions he has. I just think he might be more easily swayed with politics because he's not as interested in them.

I used to think Phil might have some secret controversial political opinions, but I now just feel like he's not that interested in politics. Wider social issues may be a different matter.
noodlebum
flower crown

stufflizloves wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:12 pm wow i just spent entirely too long reading about a video game that i don’t play and will never play.

if you want to feel a lot of feels the descriptors “seekers of the sun” and “keepers of the moon” will do it to you.

does anyone play final fantasy? because the description of the miqo’tes sounds like the most dan and phil shit i’ve ever read
I don't play it but yeah the miqo'tes descriptions are quite Dan and Phil (Dan especially) :D cuuuute
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So I don’t know anything about Final Fantasy but I noticed that the little stickers? Or pixelated characters at the bottom of the picture dan posted were also the characters they were holding in the picture from November 2017. I don’t know if that means anything but I thought it was kind of cute
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh yeah, the yellow bird’s a baby chocobo and the white one’s a moogle.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

Whatever Phil's broader political views are, I can't imagine him voting Tory, at least not in the last few elections. Another thing I noticed is that in his last video, he says that if he ever decided to run for prime minister's office, he would choose that cool edit with him dancing as his campaign video (you know the one, that was the last bit of the video), which suggests to me that he's seen that first Labour's campaign video about Corbyn which was quite cool and enjoyed some buzz on the british political twitter at the time (full disclosure, that was the one thing I enjoyed about green screen video, sorry, but it was enough to make me happy :lol: )
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

kavat wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:54 pm Aw that was a nostalgia trip.

I knew I had heard that story before and after going through my brain rolodex I realized it's from a two year old Grace Helbig video. I would pay good money to see deppys faces during that :lol:
Sorry to bring this back from a few pages ago, but I just stumbled across a photo of that night in this Phil video at 1:39.

"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Mia
spork

I do think they probably vote the same way. I just get Labour vibes off both. I know that's not evidence and just feelings. :lol:

They probably don't agree on everything but nobody does...everyone's opinion won't completely match.

Phil probably only discusses politics with people he knows around times of elections and referendums. I don't think he's super political but I agree with others in the forum that he knows what he believes in. He also did seem to be positively reacting to Dan's 2017 Labour content too.

Dan, however, seems to like the debate and discussion and probably doesn't need an election to bring it up. Dan probably enjoys how political concepts can be so widely discussed and wants to educate himself. He could be seeing engaging with politics as a way of education and moving on from anything he said/done in the past that he regrets. Also, he has shown a lot of interest about philosophy and psychology so I get why he'd be interested. :reading1:

I do worry that he's looking for the right answer in politics which is equal to finding the meaning of life in my opinion. There is no right answer. Your political opinions are a reflection on who you are and what is important to you and these opinins can (and will) change. Simply, I don't want him to feel discouraged by it all.

I feel Phil wouldn't want to be talking about Brexit, Trump, the election etc because its bluntly a shitshow and not fun. Whereas politics fits more to Dan's brand as he talks about social issues and concepts more than Phil.

A few more tweets would be fantastic from both of them on politics. I'm very into my politics and an active campaigner for the Labour Party so Im aware I'm being selfish for my wants...I just want some more political content :please:

Wow, I just rambled there...Thank you if you read it all :ribena:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I think when talking about Dan and Phil and politics we have to go back to the basics of how they present themselves online: Dan is always loud and proud about his opinions, politics or not. Phil also carries his opinions with pride but he's just not loud about them in the same way. That's never been his thing. Phil's thing has always been just doing whatever he wants, be that a weird video on the end of the world by an interdimensional basket or sharing whatever crap he brought during a 3 am shopping session and stuffed into a junk drawer.

They're both incredibly private people, especially by the standards of being a personality youtuber, but Phil has always been more closed off than Dan, and has always had that distinct boundary drawn. I think from that it's unfair to assume he doesn't care about politics or is easily swayed/will vote whatever his loved ones are voting. Phil, like George said, always seems to be more sure of his opinions, and unlike Dan who says he's in the "politics fandom" and seems to enjoy talking about it online, he just...doesn't want to. He wants to make slime and try alternative milks, and that's fine.

But also I do want to say: ever since coming out, Phil's been more comfortable in expressing his opinions on people's rights. I think he gets politics because he chooses to educate himself on certain subjects, and I think in the ways he feels the most comfortable and where he feels he has the most experience to speak about it on his platform (ex. being gay and talking about gay rights) is where his comfort lies with that.
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:59 am I think when talking about Dan and Phil and politics we have to go back to the basics of how they present themselves online: Dan is always loud and proud about his opinions, politics or not. Phil also carries his opinions with pride but he's just not loud about them in the same way. That's never been his thing. Phil's thing has always been just doing whatever he wants, be that a weird video on the end of the world by an interdimensional basket or sharing whatever crap he brought during a 3 am shopping session and stuffed into a junk drawer.

They're both incredibly private people, especially by the standards of being a personality youtuber, but Phil has always been more closed off than Dan, and has always had that distinct boundary drawn. I think from that it's unfair to assume he doesn't care about politics or is easily swayed/will vote whatever his loved ones are voting. Phil, like George said, always seems to be more sure of his opinions, and unlike Dan who says he's in the "politics fandom" and seems to enjoy talking about it online, he just...doesn't want to. He wants to make slime and try alternative milks, and that's fine.

But also I do want to say: ever since coming out, Phil's been more comfortable in expressing his opinions on people's rights. I think he gets politics because he chooses to educate himself on certain subjects, and I think in the ways he feels the most comfortable and where he feels he has the most experience to speak about it on his platform (ex. being gay and talking about gay rights) is where his comfort lies with that.
These are some good points you've made. I kind of made my post in the moment, without thinking things through too much. Like I said, don't take any of my opinions too seriously. Perhaps I am being unfair to Phil, but I guess I just know people like that and can be a bit like that myself. Some people are just not that interested in politics and I don't see it as a bad thing. But perhaps I am guilty of assuming Phil is not that interested because of how he presents himself, as you say. Also, because Dan is more forthright in expressing his opinions, it can seem like Phil doesn't have so many opinions on politics by comparison.

I partly said what I said based on the information that Phil allegedly used or once voted Conservative years ago (I think this was before he met Dan), and I was just speculating that he might have voted that way because of how he was raised or some influence in his earlier life. (I know I tend to vote how my mum votes, but I admit that I'm a very immature person for my age so probably not a good representation of the average.) He seems to show some signs of endorsing Labour now, and that is clearly what Dan is doing, so I wonder if the change had anything to do with Dan's influence. Obviously, he was young when he voted Conservative (if he did) and opinions just naturally evolve as you get older anyway, so it probably can just be attributed to getting older and his political views changing with life experience.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

It seems to me like people tend to make assumptions that Phil does or did vote Conservative but I've never seen any evidence to suggest that (have I missed something that people aren't saying)? Is it just assumed because he grew up rich? I don't have a good grasp of what indicators would be for the British party system, but the last time this conversation came up, I noticed that multiple of his Rossendale friends post pro-Labour stuff on social media. That could all be a more recent shift, but while Phil was still living there, its MP was Labour, so presumably he wasn't growing up in a community where everyone just voted Conservative (whether or not his parents did because I have no idea) so he would've been exposed to multiple political perspectives long before Dan.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

For anyone that hasn’t had the chance the Australian shop has the dapg pajama bottoms back for sale.

Also saw a few tweets floating around that dnp were spotted out and about in Tokyo tonight so it looks like they’re still there
Mia
spork

My dream came true :happytears:
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

Templeofshame wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm It seems to me like people tend to make assumptions that Phil does or did vote Conservative but I've never seen any evidence to suggest that (have I missed something that people aren't saying)? Is it just assumed because he grew up rich? I don't have a good grasp of what indicators would be for the British party system, but the last time this conversation came up, I noticed that multiple of his Rossendale friends post pro-Labour stuff on social media. That could all be a more recent shift, but while Phil was still living there, its MP was Labour, so presumably he wasn't growing up in a community where everyone just voted Conservative (whether or not his parents did because I have no idea) so he would've been exposed to multiple political perspectives long before Dan.
In my case it was to do with something someone said on here about how Charlieskies (is that the right name?) had tweeted about Phil voting Conservative. The person on here could have had wrong information or Charlie could have been misinterpreted or made it up, but that's where I got the information from. Phil keeps his cards so close to his chest, that I suppose we can tend to take any little scrap of information and use it to speculate on his views. It's so hard to tell what his real opinions are sometimes.
Last edited by dogsaremybestfriends on Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Does this count as a Dan video? 🤔

Would appreciate if someone could give a run down of what's going on in the UK, I'm pretty out of the loop and tbh it seems like a complicated mess.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

dogsaremybestfriends wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:30 pm
Templeofshame wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:41 pm It seems to me like people tend to make assumptions that Phil does or did vote Conservative but I've never seen any evidence to suggest that (have I missed something that people aren't saying)? Is it just assumed because he grew up rich? I don't have a good grasp of what indicators would be for the British party system, but the last time this conversation came up, I noticed that multiple of his Rossendale friends post pro-Labour stuff on social media. That could all be a more recent shift, but while Phil was still living there, its MP was Labour, so presumably he wasn't growing up in a community where everyone just voted Conservative (whether or not his parents did because I have no idea) so he would've been exposed to multiple political perspectives long before Dan.
In my case it was to do with something someone said on here about how Charlieskies (is that the right name?) had tweeted about Phil voting Conservative. The person on here could have had wrong information or Charlie could have been misinterpreted or made it up, but that's where I got the information from. Phil keeps his cards so close to his chest, that I suppose we can tend to take any little scrap of information and use it to speculate on his views. It's so hard to tell what his real opinions are sometimes.
The story goes that in 2012 Charlie said something about the US election, someone replied that he had voted Conservative in the 2010 election, and Charlie replied that he only did so because that's what Phil voted. When asked whether he meant AmazingPhil, he replied yes. If there's more proof I've forgotten about it, but this is the story as I remember it. :shrug:

The thing is that the story is indeed the only proof we have that I know of. I don't think even a screenshot exists, and Charlie (especially in 2012) wasn't exactly a reliable person. While one could argue that most of his weird grudge was held against Dan and not Phil, it does make me skeptical of how truthful he was or if he was just stirring shit.

But politics did look a bit different in 2010 than they do now, especially with the economic crisis in mind. There was a general election in my country in the same year and while I wasn't allowed to vote yet at the time, I know a lot people voted more to the right than they had previously hi mom. Especially people who really only knew that the crisis was affecting them and had heard that voting for conservatives would make it all right again.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil just retweeted dan’s tweet. 2019 really is a different timeline
noodlebum
flower crown

He looks so happy, even about something so serious