Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
scientia
phabergé

The concerning thing I've heard about COPPA is that if a youtuber states that their video is not meant for kids and the FTC rando who reviews is thinks it is meant for kids, the youtuber can be fined up to $40K for tagging their content incorrectly - regardless of which country they're from. Is this still true? If so it's absolutely ridiculous - as mentioned earlier all youtubers should be 'right' in assuming no one over the age of 13 is watching their content (except on the youtube kids feature). Why on earth shouldn't the creator be able to label their content accordingly??

...I think I'm angrier about this than I need to be :D I am wondering what will begin to happen to the major youtubers who are largely dismissive of the change come January...
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It’s not entirely true, they’d fine anyone at a level within their means according to DanTDM’s video. He said they’re not trying to catch people out and it would only be very obvious bad cases they’d go after. Yeah, it’s weird to need the label when kids aren’t officially signed up to the site.
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

dan's latest twitter like caught my eye. implying that he feels guilty over his lack of content might be the most communication (if you can call twitter likes 'communication') we've had regarding his feelings towards his content/audience expectations since the end of october. i mean, if he does feel bad about being so detached then he could always, y'know, talk to us...

in other news, they both liked lex croucher (formerly tyrannosauruslexxx)'s coming out tweet, which was nice to see. i used to watch her videos occasionally and hadn't realised she was still active on youtube since so many of the og british youtubers have quit.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I’m not sure how to interpret that twitter like. Maybe that is what he means, but my first thought was he’s just showing support to his friend and surely he’s not feeling guilty if he’s left it 6 months between with barely a word. Could be both I suppose.

Oh yeah, Lex is around, one of few vloggers I watch. Bought a toner on her recommendation I think.
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

It's a bit of a double edge sword cycle, because if someone is found with their content wrongly tagged, the fault is still also on YouTube's faulty algorithm, so YouTube isn't that inclined on correcting that many videos.

It's a shit situation, and the fault is forever YouTube's because they should implement a way to verify age (which they base on Google accounts age which can be so easily swayed it is an absolute stupid way to even think, and honestly I don't think there's any way to prove someone's age correctly and the things kid can be interested in are so varied that content is also not a good indicator and basically here I say it I think the COPPA regulations are actually pointless there I said it)

That Twitter like is ironic to me. I wish it was only December and I can't consider that communication because that is NOT it. That Is maybe a pointed sling at us if anything. Yeah if he's looking for sympathy that ain't it.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oy, if he was looking for sympathy he’d better come talk to me, he’ll get the full mum package. I think I understand him, but there might be a few things he needs to hear mixed in.
so_cheesy
butt chair

bluecaterpillar wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:09 pm dan's latest twitter like caught my eye. implying that he feels guilty over his lack of content might be the most communication (if you can call twitter likes 'communication') we've had regarding his feelings towards his content/audience expectations since the end of october. i mean, if he does feel bad about being so detached then he could always, y'know, talk to us...

in other news, they both liked lex croucher (formerly tyrannosauruslexxx)'s coming out tweet, which was nice to see. i used to watch her videos occasionally and hadn't realised she was still active on youtube since so many of the og british youtubers have quit.
why would him liking that tweet imply anything about his feelings? i think we shouldn't read too much into likes. it's just a funny tweet.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Please continue here! :festive:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."