Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I love the fact that he went and bought professional looking tools but then did 0 research into how to actually do it. That feels like a very Phil thing to do :lol:

Good thing he probably doesn't have to leave the house until it's grown out again, wow.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

kavat wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 7:30 am I love the fact that he went and bought professional looking tools but then did 0 research into how to actually do it.
Also known as ‘all the gear, no idea’ :roll:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

Oh this made me laugh so much. The "sideburns" are horrendous.

I didn't feel any anxiety watching-it truly doesn't matter what your hair looks like at the moment. I knew Phil was going to fuck it up in a truly Phil manner and he didn't disappoint.

Maybe I'm desensitised though, because I've already succumbed to iso madness and given myself a bob- it took more than an hour and I did it with nail scissors in the middle of the night. It looks pretty rad though?

I like the blue black colour on him- I could totally see the blue. I though the red/brownish colour suited him OK, but I prefer a black-haired Phil.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

God that video was legitimately painful to watch :lol: if I'd cringed any more I'd have become a tiny ball. I actually kind of liked his longer hair at the back? This would have been an ideal vid for Dan to be in but oh well, it's 2020.

Mouse brown is nice but blue-black is god-tier imo
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
autumnhearth
senpai

Phil retweeted this and I’m so proud that he used his platform :blackheart:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

He liked Hector’s tweet too. Good use of twitter today
blahblahblah8

autumnhearth wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:21 pm Phil retweeted this and I’m so proud that he used his platform :blackheart:
I’m so pleasantly surprised! I’m happy he’s using his platform for this!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan retweeted it, too.

Happy to see both of them using their platforms to boost good messages today.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
George
sad dimple

I wonder what Dan's hair looks like atm... Did Phil cut it too? Or is the hobbit hair back?
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Dan's not silent on this, but I feel like Phil's approach of retweeting the voices of actual Black people is better. A lot of Black people have tweeted what Dan has said, I think it would have been a better look, as a white person, to just retweet them and use his platform to get their voices heard, like Phil did.

Phil's video was glorious and I only don't feel bad for laughing so much because his hair will grow back quickly. Him going "This is too short" and then just keeping on snipping like he had no control over the scissors anymore sent me. I've done that to my fringe as a teenager, I was thinking like "If I just keep going, maybe it will suddenly look better". It did not.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Katka wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 am Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Dan's not silent on this, but I feel like Phil's approach of retweeting the voices of actual Black people is better. A lot of Black people have tweeted what Dan has said, I think it would have been a better look, as a white person, to just retweet them and use his platform to get their voices heard, like Phil did.
One could also make the argument (and I've seen this argument on twitter) that simply retweeting things is not doing enough. Putting the messge in his own words perhaps makes it a little louder, and he's certainly reaching people who wouldn't be paying attention otherwise. He also engaged thoughtfully in the replies.

What surprises me is that Dan (and Phil!) are engaging so much on something prompted by events in the United States. Not that this conversation shouldn't be worldwide, but there might be other issues closer to home that they haven't been as vocal about.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m going to say something unpopular but while a tweet/retweet is nice why wait so long to say something If that’s how they felt? It seems like people are hopping on the bandwagon because it’s a twitter trend right now and screams virtue signaling instead of real concern.

I’m not saying dnp are bad people at all but as a poc It’s a positive they did something but neither of them did something great. The retweet’s did have good information people may not have had before and the tweet was nice but at the end of the day it was just a safe tweet and retweets from two people that get to sit back and be nice about it behind a keyboard.
blahblahblah8

Honestly a lot of what I saw on twitter yesterday gave me an uneasy feeling that some people are just doing all this for show. But regardless, I saw a lot of good resources being spread. Tweets and retweets are the bare minimum but if dnp did everything in that thread that they retweeted, then that's good. I also agree that now is a good time for white people to use their platforms to let black people's voices be heard but I can also see the point that a tweet in someone's own words might get across to people more. So idk. To me, all this twitter stuff doesn't hold nearly as much meaning as what you do in private.
kavat
pastel persona

It's such a complicated situation to talk about every time something major happens in the news, at any level but especially with the level of following they have. If you just retweet resources, you are not doing enough. If you speak out about the issue as a privileged person, you are speaking for marginalized people or virtue signaling. If you don't do anything, you are not doing anything. And none of this takes into account what someone might be doing outside of social media (donating, volunteering, trying to talk to family members etc). It feels a bit "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

And I'm not saying that no one can criticize them (or anyone) for how they talk about important things. All I'm saying is that this is something to take into account when you talk about a topic publicly, and you just have to decide which type of criticism you'd rather get: for doing something some people will say is "the wrong way" or for not doing anything.

(Tomska also touched a bit on that topic in a very Tomska way)
This also comes back to what you expect from someone. We're so used to not hearing a single opinion, barely even on movies, from Phil, that a BLM retweet feels like a huge deal. But from Dan, who is much more vocal about his opinions, we expect more than just a retweet. It becomes a weird double standard that they themselves contributed to.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

All I’m saying is it’s good they weren’t silent but a tweet from daniel howell or a retweet from Phil Lester doesn’t make me any less afraid every day. I’ll give them credit for having compassion and recognizing that there’s a problem but unless they’re putting in the work for change I don’t think either one is doing more.

And I’m putting this out there again because I might sound harsh in my post but I do think they’re genuine people- they’re just not activists.
Last edited by Amiaw on Fri May 29, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
felucca
truth bomb

lefthandedism wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:26 amWhat surprises me is that Dan (and Phil!) are engaging so much on something prompted by events in the United States. Not that this conversation shouldn't be worldwide, but there might be other issues closer to home that they haven't been as vocal about.
Right? I feel like that's so very common in Europe right now though. (Disclaimer: At least in Scandinavia/the UK, I don't know about the rest.) We looove to talk about American politics - on the internet, with our friends, with our colleagues at work, with random strangers we just met - because it's safe as fuck. Everyone over here can agree that American politics suck, everyone over here can agree to talk shit about America, and feel just a little bit better about ourselves because at least we're not "like that".

No one's gonna talk about their own country, politicians or problems though, cuz that shit's sensitive. :roll:

/This rant was sponsored by I'm so done with having every single political discussion ever about issues in my own country derailed by someone going "ok but did you hear what Trump did!?" and that's the end of the discussion, always, since like 2015.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's not surprising that Dan and Phil would have a more vocal opinion about such a blatantly American issue, than other issues that hit closer to home. Dan HAS been rather vocal about UK issues for the past couple of years though, let's not forget, and it's not like it's a bad thing that they're both now using their platform to bring attention to this specific issue (whether they do it through a retweet or in their own words). We're all talking about it now after all, for what that's worth.
kavat wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:39 pmIt feels a bit "damned if you do, damned if you don't".
Yes, very true!

Thank you so much for linking Tomska's tweet. I think it goes a long way to explain the reality of being a public figure on social media. How do you decide which topics to speak out about and which to ignore? Because you could spend literally all day championing different causes - and oops suddenly you're a political figure, when originally you were just a guy doing light-hearted silly videos to entertain your audience. If you start, where do you stop?
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Anyways since everything is so heavy these days does anyone have any favorite funny dnp (or even non-dnp) videos to recommend for a good laugh?
blahblahblah8

Amiaw wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm Anyways since everything is so heavy these days does anyone have any favorite funny dnp (or even non-dnp) videos to recommend for a good laugh?
From dnp I always rewatch pumpkin carving! For non dnp I really recommend Bretman Rock! He’s a beauty guru but he also does a lot of videos not related to makeup if that’s not your thing, and he’s hilarious!
masterofgeometry
squish

Amiaw wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm Anyways since everything is so heavy these days does anyone have any favorite funny dnp (or even non-dnp) videos to recommend for a good laugh?
For dnp, I'll always love Golf With Friends, but I've also really been enjoying Phil's My Secret Files (and other similar qna/storytime videos in the same vein like Google search results)

For non-dnp, I really only have video games/nerdy things recs. I'd recommend Polygon's Unraveled and Overboard (granted Overboard can be confusing if you don't know the Polygon crew) series. My personal recommendations below:
For Unraveled, I'd say either start with the video game you're most familiar with, or start with "We made all 78 Breath of the Wild recipes in one day"/"I read all 337 books in Skyrim so you don't have to"

For Overboard, start with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, or Coup.
The McElroys' Monster Factory series is always hilarious too. Recs below:
Skyrim, Sims 4 (specifically "Recreating a Beloved Sitcom in The Sims 4"), Fallout 4/Spore(these are both 3-parters, but Iconic), Wii Sports Resort
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is definitely one of my comfort-smile-inducing videos:

noodlebum
flower crown

Yasuhati every time!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So this is a fun thing, especially for those who weren't here for the radio show era but also just for nostalgic people like me. Someone made a compilation of all the times Dan and Phil were guests on the Scott Mills Show's Real Or No Real segment. 5 HOURS OF VINTAGE DAN AND PHIL CONTENT Y'ALL. :love2:

For the people who have no idea this was even a thing, here's some info from our FAQ:
For the first year of the Dan and Phil show, every Monday Dan and Phil would be guests on a section of Scott Mills’ show called “Real or No Real”. This was a game where a set of prerecorded facts would play and they would have to decide if the fact is true or false. Dan and Phil would also promote the show they did the night before, encouraging people to watch it back on iPlayer.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
gnostic
stress mushroom

Phil posted more about BLM donations on instagram. My heart swells.
Just here for the marketing skills
kavat
pastel persona

I have a lot of love for Phil right now :love1: