Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I love Phil. :love2:

I realize that the bar is low and it's all still pretty minimal (I hope they're donating) so I'm not saying that as a ~ look at my fave being woke ~ sorta thing. I'm just really enjoying how he's not ApoliticalPhil anymore. There's such a difference between how he handled/ignored things like this in the past and what he's doing now.

Growth y'all. It's nice.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

I've seen a couple of people on twitter say that apparently Dan was seen at the London protest yesterday. There is no picture or nothing, what I've seen is just two tweets looking it up, so taking it with a grain of salt. If he did go, I'm more surprised that he didn't post about it. I know he likes to pretend he doesn't exist online but you'd think showing your huge platform that you are taking action would work more than a generic tweet? :shrug:

I feel important to say that yes, this situation is not a matter of what x influencer does, obviously, but these people have massive platforms and it's good they take the time to share resources and educate and show themselves being proactive, just like should do anyone that can do so. (looking at your last tweet Safiya, what even is that).
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
drago
tol bean

liola wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am I've seen a couple of people on twitter say that apparently Dan was seen at the London protest yesterday. There is no picture or nothing, what I've seen is just two tweets looking it up, so taking it with a grain of salt. If he did go, I'm more surprised that he didn't post about it. I know he likes to pretend he doesn't exist online but you'd think showing your huge platform that you are taking action would work more than a generic tweet? :shrug:

I feel important to say that yes, this situation is not a matter of what x influencer does, obviously, but these people have massive platforms and it's good they take the time to share resources and educate and show themselves being proactive, just like should do anyone that can do so. (looking at your last tweet Safiya, what even is that).
I'm very happy with the way Phil are vocal about BLM online. And maybe my opinion is controversial, but I thinks it's for the best that Dan didn't actually tweet that at the protest. Would it be any other time or place, I'dbe proud of him for going, but given the current situation with COVID-19 in London gathering thousands of people without any social distancing and chanting:"I can't breathe" ( in some cases without even a mask) could also lead to thousands of people loosing they ability to breathe.
masterofgeometry
squish

liola wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:05 am I've seen a couple of people on twitter say that apparently Dan was seen at the London protest yesterday. There is no picture or nothing, what I've seen is just two tweets looking it up, so taking it with a grain of salt. If he did go, I'm more surprised that he didn't post about it. I know he likes to pretend he doesn't exist online but you'd think showing your huge platform that you are taking action would work more than a generic tweet? :shrug:

If it's true, I actually kind of prefer it that he didn't tweet about being there. Feels a bit more genuine and actually like he's taking action to help out in this situation rather than being performative with tweets or doing it for clout.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

masterofgeometry wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:52 pm

If it's true, I actually kind of prefer it that he didn't tweet about being there. Feels a bit more genuine and actually like he's taking action to help out in this situation rather than being performative with tweets or doing it for clout.
My gut reaction was this - I appreciate him not tweeting.

But if he does, I don't think I'll be mad, either. It's a catch-22 right now that ends up feeling genuine or performative purely based on how things are worded and what message feels like it's being pushed, because I think people with as big (and as white) a platform as Dan has can do some good by using it for exposure. It just depends on if he tweets with a focus on that or a focus on him.

But I think Dan does understand these things and at the moment I"m giving him the benefit of the doubt.
liola
rankussy

I didn't mean as an attack on Dan btw, just thought that it would be good to spread the message even more with the power of the voice he has. I don't think his genuine fans would take it as performative but rather as informative, especially since he's been more and more vocal about politics and human rights in the past couple of years.

But I understand it might not feel the same for everyone!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
kavat
pastel persona

Yeah I've seen both influencers and celebrities get criticism for posting selfies from the protests. It can be seen as performative if you don't word it very very carefully.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Tbh the person who tweeted wasn’t at the protest - they said their friend texted them that Dan was there so even in normal circumstances we wouldn’t take this as a confirmed sighting but now with the protest being what it is does it matter? This isn’t a sighting at a museum or a movie date, this was a protest and even with dnp being ally’s this isn’t about them. (I’m saying this here but it’s mostly directed at twitter phannies tbh)

Edited to add: I’m not saying we can’t acknowledge the good things they do and I don’t want to tell other people how they have to post or feel-I just don’t want to derail the issue
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I do think Tyler Oakley - who I have many criticisms of usually - has been doing a good job of using twitter right now when actually out.

1) retweeting and signal boosting first-hand accounts on the ground at the protest
2) documenting accounts of police escalation from when he is on the street

It's hard to be a stan right now because the Real World feels a lot more important than Fandom, but I have really appreciated what I've seen k-pop stan twitter do (they shut down the Dallas cops app by flooding it with fancams, for example). I struggle with the right course for influencers to take - but man if the Phandom could self-organize in a way that is useful to the movements, that would be phenomenal.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:50 pm I do think Tyler Oakley - who I have many criticisms of usually - has been doing a good job of using twitter right now when actually out.

1) retweeting and signal boosting first-hand accounts on the ground at the protest
2) documenting accounts of police escalation from when he is on the street

It's hard to be a stan right now because the Real World feels a lot more important than Fandom, but I have really appreciated what I've seen k-pop stan twitter do (they shut down the Dallas cops app by flooding it with fancams, for example). I struggle with the right course for influencers to take - but man if the Phandom could self-organize in a way that is useful to the movements, that would be phenomenal.
Yeah, that would be amazing, honestly. I'm not sure we have the united platform to do that - maybe if it were headed by something like UpdatedPhan, but they've been fairly inactive in the past year or so. (Which is fair - interests shift, etc etc.) A lot of writers (myself included) and artists are holding small fundraisers but people isolated amongst themselves will never make as big an impact as the whole group coming together. It's definitely something I admire about kpop and wish phandom had more of.

Semi-related: The PhandomGives livestream for Dan's birthday is coming up this weekend (a 29 hour fundraising marathon) and it benefits Mermaids again this year. There's been less focus on it this year for obvious reasons - when that fundraiser was set up no one could have anticipated the world being what it is right now. If people are putting their money towards blm resources instead of Dan's fundraisier, then I think everyone involved understands that and is just fine with it. But we are still having the charity stream and it's still a chance to do some good and/or enjoy some phan content if anyone has the weekend free and needs that kind of supportive environment to escape to for a while.
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

I hope this isn't true... (the hand part)
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth
senpai

Speaking of PJ, I love what he is doing with his platform. He asked his followers for recommendations of important black media (books, films, tv shows, etc) and is posting each one as an Instastory. You can swipe up on each one for more info or you can take a screenshot to look them up afterward. I recommend checking it out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil posted an ig story about donating, including saying where he donated to - the BLM fund, the George Floyd memorial fund, and the LGBTQ Freedom Fund - and left this link to ways you can educate yourself and donate (even if you don't have money).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A much needed brief moment of levity in the world, from the recent live episode of Dear Hank and John:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Speaking of Deppy and the Greens and butts reminds me of the story of Dan touching John's butt:
At 4:45
I have a question: Dan and Phil and John and Hank have a well-established mutual admiration society. But have they ever socialized that we know of?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

Hank was interviewed in the tatinof-doc, wasn't he? But I can't remember if we've ever seen them hang out.

But it reminds me of when Katherine did the skibidi dance in the II jacket, it always makes me smile.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil posted some more information on his Instagram story and followed the Black Lives Matter twitter account. I’m glad he’s continuing to post and educate himself and hope he keeps it up.

I haven’t been notified for any of Phil’s stories or posts lately on Instagram- is anyone else having that problem?
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Another Phil BLM tweet (and Dan retweet) plus a really nice interaction with the creator:
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Amiaw wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:09 pm Phil posted some more information on his Instagram story and followed the Black Lives Matter twitter account. I’m glad he’s continuing to post and educate himself and hope he keeps it up.

I haven’t been notified for any of Phil’s stories or posts lately on Instagram- is anyone else having that problem?
instagram notifications have always been sketchy for me, maybe 30-40 percent of the time i find out he's posted something via reposts on tumblr/randomly opening instagram, rather than via notification.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The 29 hour PhandomGives/PhandomWatch livestream for Dan's birthday is starting in a few minutes.

We have a lot of fanworks prizes donated by artists, writers, etc and some physical prizes (gift cards, merch items, stickers) but in lieu of some of the physical prizes we are going to do some donation matching for black lives matter causes. Whatever winner is chosen when that particular prize is being raffled will get to pick the blm charity/fundraiser and we'll make the matching donation there (up to a certain amount).

Donations are required to be in the running for the physical prizes, but you're eligible for the fanworks prizes just by showing up. And if you aren't interested in winning anything... well, you can enjoy 29 hours of carefully curated Dan and Phil content. :)

You can click here if you want to check it out!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm kinda disappointed in how little they have been doing with their platform, to be honest.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hm, I wonder what has prompted Dan's late-night thoughts:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."