Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sorryimnotclever
squish

migrating man friends?
migrating mates?
migrating men?
go into
the night freely

and flourish
my child
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

So thursday's stereo falls on april 1st... what shenanigans do you think they've cooked up?

My bet is on 45 mins of cardboard box asmr
glitterintheair
phillluminati

It’s a normal liveshow but they pretend they’re straight the entire time and they talk about moving in with their respective wives
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:28 am It’s a normal liveshow but they pretend they’re straight the entire time and they talk about moving in with their respective wives
Omg I love this.

Another idea: it's just... not Dan and Phil. Maybe Martyn and Cornelia do the whole hour pretending it's been their show all along.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

So when is this promised frog outfit picture going to happen? :waiting: I would very much like to see it :lol:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

We got the frog pic and Cornelia making a "don't cry, craft" joke on insta stories. Also, I just remembered that England had daylight savings and the show starts an hour earlier for me!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat
eclipse shirt

There's been a stereo update- looks like they are moving towards some younow/twitch type monetization options.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:59 pm There's been a stereo update- looks like they are moving towards some younow/twitch type monetization options.
I was super annoyed at first but it seems like the promo for that may just be part of the stereo deal in general considering they're making it clear they aren't taking any of the money for it. They're donating it to AKT.
Levitating
#relatable

What' AKT?

I hate downloading apps on my phone. I so much prefer websites, so I hope they will soon stop this Stereo thing and move to Twitch!

Anyhow! Phil's hair has grown so much! Hairdressers are about to open which is sad as I would enjoy seeing him with longer hair! ahah
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Levitating wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:32 pm What' AKT?

I hate downloading apps on my phone. I so much prefer websites, so I hope they will soon stop this Stereo thing and move to Twitch!

Anyhow! Phil's hair has grown so much! Hairdressers are about to open which is sad as I would enjoy seeing him with longer hair! ahah
AKT is the Albert Kennedy Trust, it's a charity for queer youth in Manchester. Phil was on a podcast talking about it... last year? In 2019? Time is meaningless.

They have a sponsorship deal with Stereo so I don't really see them moving to Twitch. The most I could see is them enjoying this and decided on a podcast but not a live platform-based thing, unless Twitch wanted to also offer them a deal and... Dan and Phil wouldn't pull the kind of numbers I bet Twitch would require for more than just normal monetization.
Levitating
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:46 pmunless Twitch wanted to also offer them a deal and... Dan and Phil wouldn't pull the kind of numbers I bet Twitch would require for more than just normal monetization.
Twitch streamers gather a much larger audience than DnP's? :o
starsandshards
living flop

y'all i swear dan said daddy in tonight's stereo but i don't see anyone mentioning it so if my brain just invented that what the fuck brain.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Levitating wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:51 pm Twitch streamers gather a much larger audience than DnP's? :o
Twitch streamers usually stream wayyyy longer than DNP seem interested in. Julien (partner of Jenna Marbles, not to define him by his relationship...sorry) gets like 50K people viewing on a stream. DNP get like 3000 people on stereo. To be stereo is a weird app people have to download so maybe they would have more if it was a website people knew.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I really am kinda salty about the “super fans” thing. I don’t mind donating for the first month as I got the impression (but hoping to be wrong) that it was only the first month they were giving money to charity.

As much as I’m sure it’s lovely to hear how wonderful you are, surely they could have done something else with that last 5 minutes. I always enjoyed it when Phil would go into chats and say hello so maybe they could mix it up a bit. Sending a message for the “after show” bit and getting it played is going to be just as hard as the normal part of the show. For £60 a year I want them to at least guarantee me something personal (unless 100% of the subscription is going to charity).

Also for Twitch, they’d have to show their faces where now they don’t have the pressure of that. They can sit their in PJs and no one knows. I didn’t actually think Stereo was that bad an app tbh. It works consistently even when they were pulling in the 9000+ fans.

Has anyone been keeping an eye on the amount of people listening each show? It was down to 5000 today, it’s been going down slowly each show, I wonder why?
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

I cannot complain about Stereo after living through the Rize shows
Secretstanner
truth bomb

missemma wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm Has anyone been keeping an eye on the amount of people listening each show? It was down to 5000 today, it’s been going down slowly each show, I wonder why?
Yes I look every week and have seen it too. It’s 100% because people reuploading the shows on YouTube. No shade to IDB, yours is the only one I watch every week because you don’t put ads on your uploads. It makes me feel kinda icky seeing them go from 10k to half because of this. But when the show is up not even a hour after they been live it’s no surprise. Idb got 17k and 18k 2 weeks ago. That’s where the views are going. It’s helpful to people who don’t want the app but now it seems like it’s people’s first choice
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Secretstanner wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm
missemma wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm Has anyone been keeping an eye on the amount of people listening each show? It was down to 5000 today, it’s been going down slowly each show, I wonder why?
Yes I look every week and have seen it too. It’s 100% because people reuploading the shows on YouTube. No shade to IDB, yours is the only one I watch every week because you don’t put ads on your uploads. It makes me feel kinda icky seeing them go from 10k to half because of this. But when the show is up not even a hour after they been live it’s no surprise. Idb got 17k and 18k 2 weeks ago. That’s where the views are going. It’s helpful to people who don’t want the app but now it seems like it’s people’s first choice
Don't worry, no shade taken. I've been thinking about that too. I'm considering waiting a few days to upload them now. I didn't think it would be an issue in the beginning, and ours are really for archive purpose more than to try to get views - and certainly no one is making money from ours. It would disappoint a lot of people that don't have the app, but there will be other uploads that go up immediately if someone is very determined.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:15 pm
Secretstanner wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm
Don't worry, no shade taken. I've been thinking about that too. I'm considering waiting a few days to upload them now. I didn't think it would be an issue in the beginning, and ours are really for archive purpose more than to try to get views - and certainly no one is making money from ours. It would disappoint a lot of people that don't have the app, but there will be other uploads that go up immediately if someone is very determined.
I honestly think you should keep uploading for the reason you don’t make money off the uploads. Others aren’t the same and are getting almost the same views as IDB. Not for the reason that I don’t want to watch multiple ads but because no one should be making money off these stereos. If dnp were still getting the same views or more then I think I’d have less of an issue. But do what you feel is right if you want to leave it a couple days.. I’d just rather the views go to you guys than others. Full shade!
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

There are, IDK, like 5 people that upload the shows, including IDB. Everyone would need to come to a mutual agreement to not upload the shows for a few days (I'd even say weeks, and that would give time to even possibly put accurate subtitles for ESL/deaf/HoH), but I get the feeling either people won't get the message and continue uploading soon after the show's end or give a niceity-nice/selfish/passive-aggressive excuse to upload the shows as they please. ":)))" "<3"
Live shows are usually really popular. People REALLY want to catch lives. I personally never understood the draw unless with a smaller YouTube channel, but okay. Maybe that's a trait that's not so much the Dan/Phil fandom...also, the stereo app isn't the best.
I'd love to see a survey on Twitter as to why people are not watching, without letting viewers know the show uploads exist, that is, those that don't know already.
These 2x uploads and regular IGs/tweets just seem like a dream, and probably won't stop feeling like that (for me, haha, but I'm not alone). :rainbowtears:
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

I know personally that I watch the uploads over the actual live shows because I would never be able to catch them in my time zone. It’s not really their fault though since the show is already at 8/9 their time.
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

starsandshards wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 pm y'all i swear dan said daddy in tonight's stereo but i don't see anyone mentioning it so if my brain just invented that what the fuck brain.
He said "gagging" but it did sound like that on first listen :lol:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

missemma wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:21 pm I didn’t actually think Stereo was that bad an app tbh. It works consistently even when they were pulling in the 9000+ fans.
I am agreed! Stereo isn't a bad app at all, after they fixed it when DNP was crashing it. It certainly isn't Rize.

It definitely doesn't have the user base that Twitch does though, nor a web interface. I think if they were to move over to Twitch they'd find they'd catch more of the people who watch reuploads of the Stereo show because they don't want to deal with a new app.

ETA: you can also listen on the stereo app to the show afterwards...I do that if I can't catch them live.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Someone on tumblr pointed out that this show is actually trending similar numbers as to their others - and I think it is because a chunk of people do listen back. Immediately after the show it was at 5k listens, but as I type this it's been about five hours and it's just shy of 8500. It'll probably come close to 10k listens by tomorrow which is around what they normally do.
inanerat
eclipse shirt

I've been having a few thoughts today, just trying to put them together here.

1. Stereo/subscriptions
This becoming a thing doesn't really surprise me, since basically everything is going to end up with ads, paid subscription or both. However for the same price as a tier 1 (standard) twitch sub (4.99 USD) the perks are kinda crap. Really it's just that your messages will get some sort of (magical, since I have never understood how the message queuing system worked before) priority, ability to be sent in when others can't, and potential to access certain shows, if the creator you are subscribed to does sub-only shows. Kind of reminds me of premium messages on YouNow, although iirc those were a pay per time thing (idk how much they were, never used them) and you didn't get charged if the streamer didn't accept/read out your message.
I don't mind it much tbh, and I appreciate dnp choosing to donate the revenue from it (especially since I assume they're already doing pretty good with the spon deal, etc.) although it's obvs not the most direct way, since I assume stereo takes a decent cut of the subscription cost for themselves. I went for it for the month since I've got the spare 5 bucks but if they continue doing shows for more than a month, and especially if they don't continue to donate the sub revenue I won't continue it. Might skip out on a twitch sub this month to make up for it PepeHands rip my emotes.

2. Twitch comparisons viewer/spon wise
It is definitely an interesting comparison, although when dnp mentioned 'twitch stuff' I never assumed that was any sort of actual spon deal from twitch, their only revenue stream would be subscriptions and a tip jar if they had one. They would definitely get the viewers/activity to become a twitch partner (able to have subs, unlock emote slots, etc.) very quickly and idk they would maybe even be able to leverage getting partner before starting, but I can't imagine the kind of audience they would have is something twitch would bother sponning for. They have much bigger fish to fry tbh.
On the viewers side, a lot of people (I guess kind of medium-sized streamers?) I follow that do twitch for a living sit around 200-1K viewers at any given time, with 1-2k subs. Larger people on twitch tend to have at least 4K viewers, idk how many subs. But the big difference is the viewer time. With most twitch streamers streaming most days of the week for at least like 3 hours, if not 6 or more, and holding their view count throughout, that is a lot more viewer hours, meaning a lot more viewers, it's just that not everyone watches all the time, at the same time. It's a very different vibe with so many streaming hours than something like these stereos that are 45min to an hour twice a week.
Also someone mentioned it (soz can't remember who) but I do think not having to be on camera is something dnp enjoy about stereo. It means they don't have to put as much into their appearance (not that I really care or would even notice if they just wore whatever/had messy hair, etc. while doing a visual liveshow) and I think it makes them a bit more relaxed. Also a lot less tech set up to deal with. And of course if they did do something like twitch and wanted to stream games beyond doing just chatting, they wouldn't have to have a camera on them, but it is common and since people know them from their content which is very facecam heavy, and dnpg has always had a facecam, I think people would find it odd without.

3. Stereo shows
I'm feeling a little,, eh after today's show. While I'm still enjoying them, and grateful that we get all this content they've started to feel a little repetitive?? to me. I guess none of the recent topics or stories have really grabbed me, although I have been enjoying Phil's games. While the voice memo feature is interesting and really cool in some ways, I think the delayed nature of it confines the possibilities for topics and conversations a bit. Having something where there's topical things/anecdotes for people to send in but also enough for dnp to say to fill the space between/waiting for messages seems a little restricting to me. I think maybe I just miss having a live text chat, because it's something I enjoy so much and is something that can A. be computer moderated for certain things (spam, specific words or phrases, etc) fairly easily and can be something live where streamers can get more immediate feedback and ideas during a conversation. With the voice memos it feels harder to achieve any sort of free flowing conversation, because by the time someone comments on something specific it was already 30+ seconds ago and too much has been said in that time so it feels weird to go back.
Tbh idk what more or better themes or conversations or games would be, rn I just feel like I can feel that it wasn't necessarily something they thought would go on this long and certain parts of the format and stuff might need a bit of work to be stronger and more entertaining with a somewhat longer(?) timeframe.
Side note Dan's comment on copy and pasting the title was interesting to me, I had already assumed that they had some sort of outline document that they shared and looked at during the show but it confirmed it to me I guess.

Also Dan struggling to come up with Dan rhymes? M8 you've got:
What would Dan put in a pan?
What isn't Dan taller than?
What wouldn't you say to Dan's nan?
Should Dan buy a sedan?
Dan something something man?
And if you wanted to add in -am rhymes, since the nasals sound so similar you've got loads more.

Anyway after all this and me reflecting on eh feelings about stereo topics (which maybe that's just me, and I haven't felt like I had anything interesting to contribute or much interest in the topics) I was thinking about what sort of discussions/story themes I would really enjoy. One I thought of was something like Phil's awkward closeted stories, seems like it would work as something both of them could talk and bant about and also a fun and relatable thing that a lot of audience members could tell little short anecdotes about. Does anyone else have things like that they'd love to see(hear) out of the shows??? I'm curious.

Also there was zero mention of the fact that it's April 1st on Thursday, but it's Phil game day and I have NO trust for that sneaky weasel. I'm sure he's cooking up something, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Wowee long(ish) time no long ass post, nice job making it to the end if you did, no hard feelings if you didn't lmao