Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
tinnie
delia smith

Megancita75 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:18 pm As for Phil, maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't know that I'd want to see him as the host of a game show. For some reason (even though it doesn't benefit me as a fan), I'd like to see him do non-camera work right now more that on-camera work. Writing, collaborating in some way with other people, maybe doing an animation of some sort. I think I want to see him do something that's all about his creativity being the product, and not his on-camera personality.
This is an interesting thought actually because how would being a host of a game show work? I feel like game shows of any type are either a fail and get cancelled quickly (not what I want for Phil) or they go on for ages. And the person hosting it is not usually the person who comes up with the fun stuff to do. And I imagine Phil would want to be the one to create the games more than host it. So I don't know how this could work in traditional media or what other options there are.
Becky.rigby
living flop

I think in regards to a game show that crabstickz would be a great host, I really enjoyed the geekweek special he did years ago. shout out to ‘who will be best man at Dan and Phils wedding in 2022’. His personality fits in my opionion. And Phil is really creative, so he could work behind the scenes coming up with the idea.
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

I love Phil dearly, but I really don’t see him as a game show host or solo host? Maybe it’s just because we rarely see him in that role, but I don’t think it would fit him. When I look at Dan and Phil as a pair, I see Dan as the one with infectious charisma and Phil with the incredible talent, and creativity. The few times we have seen Phil do solo interview stuff, it only really flowed well when it was someone he knew well (which is why he gets paired with Dan so often). I’d rather see his concepts be executed rather than a game show or hosting gig that I don’t think would go far.

also do we remember that one hoodie/merch item with the cartoon version of him that looked like it was teasing something? what was that about?!? I wanna see that story
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m not loving the energy of people wanting Phil to stay behind the camera. I think he’s done well in front of the camera for 15 years so I’d love to see him on screen. He can be awkward but he’s also charming and he’s funny so I think once he’s comfortable he’d be fine.
I’m not sure that I’d love a game show but if he did create one or even host I’m sure it would be a mess in the best way. My biggest wish is that he’d just fully embrace his chaotic energy and go on a show like Taskmaster but I only see that really happening in my mind lol
Levitating
#relatable

Bookworman355 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:20 am I love Phil dearly, but I really don’t see him as a game show host or solo host? Maybe it’s just because we rarely see him in that role, but I don’t think it would fit him. When I look at Dan and Phil as a pair, I see Dan as the one with infectious charisma and Phil with the incredible talent, and creativity. The few times we have seen Phil do solo interview stuff, it only really flowed well when it was someone he knew well (which is why he gets paired with Dan so often). I’d rather see his concepts be executed rather than a game show or hosting gig that I don’t think would go far.

also do we remember that one hoodie/merch item with the cartoon version of him that looked like it was teasing something? what was that about?!? I wanna see that story
I am totally w you!

I love him and I would love for anyone to achieve their dreams, but if I am being honest, I have never fully enjoyed his solo content :cry: which is a feeling a lot of the general public shares. This does not mean he is not good. I actually think it just means that we, the general public, are not profound enough :rofl: (because c'mon, the most viewed videos right now are not the most critically-acclaimed videos you could find on youtube).
Nonetheless, this to me is an inevitably sign of how poorly a game show would perform, at least with his current persona of a shy/clumsy/super respectful person. Crabstizk's eccentricity works much better (andh I LOVED the episodes he did).

I feel I am a lot like Phil. I may be an excellent game host deep inside, but my external behaviour does not reflect it because of my social anxiety/awkwardness. :lol:
Yet, I still also believe he is incredibly creative and people need to acknowledge it.

To be fair, I also wonder how Dan would do on his on own, with performing something for a tour, without Phil's input? Like, even the BIG video was made with Phil's help, wasn't it?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Amiaw wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:04 am I’m not loving the energy of people wanting Phil to stay behind the camera. I think he’s done well in front of the camera for 15 years so I’d love to see him on screen. He can be awkward but he’s also charming and he’s funny so I think once he’s comfortable he’d be fine.
I’m not sure that I’d love a game show but if he did create one or even host I’m sure it would be a mess in the best way. My biggest wish is that he’d just fully embrace his chaotic energy and go on a show like Taskmaster but I only see that really happening in my mind lol
Phil has expressed a lot of hesitation to do anything in front of the camera where he is scripted and we rarely see him solo in a presenting mode for that reason - which I think is what a lot of people are going to when they say they don't think he'd make a good host. But I look more at things like solo liveshows which he's done regularly since 2012. A gameshow that's his idea, that he's producing (with Dan, it seems), would be Phil in Phil territory - he doesn't want a script? He doesn't have to have one! It's his show. He'd be confident in the segments and concepts, because they'd be things he came up with. So I think people are just having a faulty basis of comparison.
Levitating wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:27 pmTo be fair, I also wonder how Dan would do on his on own, with performing something for a tour, without Phil's input? Like, even the BIG video was made with Phil's help, wasn't it?
I think it doesn't matter of something is marketed as a solo project, it happens with input from the other. I don't doubt that Dan spent many a night talking out things about his book with Phil, and we know Phil was the first person to read it. So a tour would be the same, imo. Something crafted with Phil's input or opinions. (Performance wise I think Dan is fine solo, he can get on a stage and turn it on for sure.)
Levitating
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm I think it doesn't matter of something is marketed as a solo project, it happens with input from the other. I don't doubt that Dan spent many a night talking out things about his book with Phil, and we know Phil was the first person to read it. So a tour would be the same, imo. Something crafted with Phil's input or opinions. (Performance wise I think Dan is fine solo, he can get on a stage and turn it on for sure.)
Here's where another question arises: to what extent would Phil contribute for free?
I have had creative partners and I have always avoided getting them involved to a "professional level" if I was not able to also pay for that contribution. And a professional level of contribution is what I think Dan may need from Phil. Support and suggestions are one thing, but it would only be superficial.
I do not know if Dan produces all of his Youtube videos on his own; I presume he does, but when they do projects together you can see Phil's side and it's always important.
I dunno.
Perhaps Dan can be great on his own, but knowing how even more great he has been when working w Phil (anything they've done together), I guess now we will see how he does on his own.
I did not really liked his e-sport documentary or his marathon speech. It feels sometimes like he takes himself too seriously in these not-comedy-YoutubeChannel videos.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Levitating wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:25 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:07 pm I think it doesn't matter of something is marketed as a solo project, it happens with input from the other. I don't doubt that Dan spent many a night talking out things about his book with Phil, and we know Phil was the first person to read it. So a tour would be the same, imo. Something crafted with Phil's input or opinions. (Performance wise I think Dan is fine solo, he can get on a stage and turn it on for sure.)
Here's where another question arises: to what extent would Phil contribute for free?
I have had creative partners and I have always avoided getting them involved to a "professional level" if I was not able to also pay for that contribution. And a professional level of contribution is what I think Dan may need from Phil. Support and suggestions are one thing, but it would only be superficial.
I do not know if Dan produces all of his Youtube videos on his own; I presume he does, but when they do projects together you can see Phil's side and it's always important.
I dunno.
Perhaps Dan can be great on his own, but knowing how even more great he has been when working w Phil (anything they've done together), I guess now we will see how he does on his own.
I did not really liked his e-sport documentary or his marathon speech. It feels sometimes like he takes himself too seriously in these not-comedy-YoutubeChannel videos.
My genuine opinion is that a partnership on the level of Dan and Phil doesn't even factor money into it. Even when pursuing their own projects I don't think they view each other as a professional contribution separate from their life together. It's like how they always talked about videos - when Dan would make a dinof video Phil would watch it, tell him which parts needed to be cut or if something just sucked, because they operate on a basis of just giving each other feedback and being each other's personal and professional behind the scenes support system.
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

I’ve never really thought about how much Phil has added to Dan’s solo projects over the years, but it’s true. They’re two flip sides of a coin, and that’s why they work well together. It’s true to say that at their level, they don’t need to consider money and contracts like regular people. Their professional relationship doesn’t need that collateral like other people (or at least has collateral in other forms).

Personally, I don’t think it’s negative to think that Phil might not be best suited for a solo/game show host role, very few people can actually pull it off. I’m still interested in seeing him do solo work, and frankly over the years I’ve preferred his solo work to Dan’s. It’ll be interesting to see Dan have these projects without Phil’s input (but this is mainly speculation on our parts over what Phil has contributed to over the years).
Levitating
#relatable

They must share some financial account, but I also remember Phil saying that 'Dan had to pay for [his] drink', somewhere?
Dan made a face but was not too much bothered and I am sure that pointing it out was for the laughs, but at the same time, I do expect them to have separate financial lives?

How does it work for long time partners? I have always kept them separate - with equal contributions into a shared 'pot' and with zero minding of mine/their extra spending on the other.
But again, this would never take away the 'payment' for the professional contribution.
Furthermore, it is not only a financial matter: it is also good/useful for Phil professionally, for his future endeavours, to be able to add to his curriculum certain things, if he actually ends up giving his professional* input?
A professional one involves time, which is so important for creators at whatever craft, time which is different than a suggestion on superficial level without deep analysis (which is part of the professional input and which takes time)
Secretstanner
truth bomb

That was a fun five minutes of not being able to read on here because my “IP address was banned”! Somehow?? My anxiety had me going over if I had done something wrong. Lmao weird
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Secretstanner wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 pm That was a fun five minutes of not being able to read on here because my “IP address was banned”! Somehow?? My anxiety had me going over if I had done something wrong. Lmao weird
It's definitely not you, don't worry!! The server that our host uses went down on Thursday and apparently they've been having a lot of glitches since it came back up.

It's helpful to us to know how many people are actually being impacted, so if anyone else is having issues with the IP banned message or anything else please let us know! In the message include your IP address and what device/browser you're using when you get the error.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Moderator Note
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 pm
Secretstanner wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:31 pm That was a fun five minutes of not being able to read on here because my “IP address was banned”! Somehow?? My anxiety had me going over if I had done something wrong. Lmao weird
It's definitely not you, don't worry!! The server that our host uses went down on Thursday and apparently they've been having a lot of glitches since it came back up.

It's helpful to us to know how many people are actually being impacted, so if anyone else is having issues with the IP banned message or anything else please let us know! In the message include your IP address and what device/browser you're using when you get the error.
It looks as though our host has figured out the problem, so with luck we are in the clear.

However, if you have any issues going forward, please let us know! We do not want to be a source of aggravation or anxiety for anyone. :platonic:

You can let us know by contacting us (also found at the top of every page). If you don't hear back in a reasonable amount of time or if the issue doesn't resolve please feel free to reach out to us again (maybe by a different contact).

It's always helpful to include as much information as possible about what has happened--when an error occured (e.g., at login or when performing a certain action), your device/browser, your IP address if you know it (though we can usually figure it out), and if you can, the exact text of an error message or a screenshot.

Thanks, and on with the bants!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I agree with Dizzy - anything Phil doesn't feel comfortable with is not going to turn out well, quiz show or otherwise. However, if it's something he has complete creative control over, I would be super excited for it. I have adored every quiz show thing that Phil has put on (even though they are mostly just about him lol). But I also prefer his content over Dan's, so maybe it's just a stylistic preference.
Levitating wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:56 pm How does it work for long time partners? I have always kept them separate - with equal contributions into a shared 'pot' and with zero minding of mine/their extra spending on the other.
I've been with my fiancée for six years, our finances are all sorts of weird but really it's whatever works for the couple. I pay for groceries, rent, and utilities, while she puts more towards student loans, big household purchases, and saving for a house. I am a hopeful creative and she puts a lot of creative energy into helping develop my ideas, just like I spend time quizzing her on medical jargon and helping process her emotions from a taxing job. I totally see why people might want more defined boundaries in those areas though!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Was that Dan panel yesterday or today? Will we be able to see it?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
fioebae
drama llama

Susanisnotafish wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 am Was that Dan panel yesterday or today? Will we be able to see it?
It’s at 7pm UK time I believe, you can sign up at the National Student Pride website (you don’t need to have any proof of being a student)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fioebae wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:32 am
Susanisnotafish wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 am Was that Dan panel yesterday or today? Will we be able to see it?
It’s at 7pm UK time I believe, you can sign up at the National Student Pride website (you don’t need to have any proof of being a student)
Since we have no idea if it'll be available online I'm gonna attempt to record it... and there is apparently a live chat so if I do uh yeah I'll be cropping that chat out.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh shit it's not a zoom! I assumed it would be!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

abigail thorn is there (second pic). if we don't get a picture of the two of them together, what was even the point?!

:rainbowtears:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

noodlebum
flower crown

He looks fabulous, that jacket!! And omg Lawrence Chaney too
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:13 pm
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet and won't for a bit (uni keeping me busy today :( ) BUT I want to say it's super cool that they had an on-screen BSL interpreter for the entire livestream! We love to see it!

But also one person interpreting a whole 45min panel with 5 different speakers. Oof. I hope they had good breaks before/after.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I can't watch right now just came to say he looks so cute!!! I really really dig this haircut it suits him so wonderfully ☺
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Looks like Philly's in the running for Online Influencer of the year at the UK LGBT Awards 2021 which is great. Can's believe they spelled his surname as Leicester in some of the articles. FML journalists, Phil *is* the internet, do your research!

I really liked that panel, they all seemed like such nice people and had lots of interesting points. Dan actually phoning friends, wonders will never cease! Glad he mentioned that, we all need support at times like this and if you ignore people for a prolonged period, even if they know you have issues, they do wonder sometimes if you just don't like them, so that's great that he's been reaching out more than usual.