Dan & Phil Part 101: Gays In The Wild

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Yeah, usually I am all about Dan doing whatever he wants on Twitter, even if it isn't my cup of tea (and it rarely is). Some of these, though, just seem odd for someone who made a bunch of money selling a mental health book? I'm one of those who thinks that everything he posts has a grain of truth in it, and while I don't think this means anything is wrong or fake about he and Phil's relationship, it just feels...weird.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I can’t believe there was a time where I used to follow Dan on twitter and had notifs on for him.

Remember when Dan was closeted therefore he had to come up with different topics anytime he wanted to say something? I am not saying I’d rather have him still being in the closet, but I do miss when he had a personality that was not just like “I am horny and depressed”. I’ll be honest, I am impressed with people who still care about what Dan’s doing for the simple fact that I don’t know what there is to care about at this point and I also don’t know how people aren’t tired yet. All he’s doing is tweet something horny every now and then and trying to be relatable when he knows he’s not - pretending he’s not a rich guy who purchased a fancy house with another person at 30 is not working and is also very weird- and that’s it. Is that how he wants to live his truth? Because if so… wow.

Also that reply about wanting his bullies to step on him.. incredible, coming from a guy who wrote a book on how to improve your mental health. He’s such a comedian though, can’t wait for his inevitable solo tour that I am sure will be FILLED with jokes like that! I am so hyped! Not.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Holy shit I logged onto here for the first time in a while to check what's going on and I'm freaking shook. what happened here?

yeah i get Dan's depression-posting is exhausting (I personally don't follow him) but since fucking when do people judge so heavily for horny posting? This reminds me how modern gen of social activism has gone so far into protecting minors it circled all the way back to slut shaming. My man should keep a basic kinky joke to his therapist? he's rich and because of that he can't post thirst tweets?

wtf
Just here for the marketing skills
glitterintheair
phillluminati

gnostic wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:53 am Holy shit I logged onto here for the first time in a while to check what's going on and I'm freaking shook. what happened here?

yeah i get Dan's depression-posting is exhausting (I personally don't follow him) but since fucking when do people judge so heavily for horny posting? This reminds me how modern gen of social activism has gone so far into protecting minors it circled all the way back to slut shaming. My man should keep a basic kinky joke to his therapist? he's rich and because of that he can't post thirst tweets?

wtf
He can post all the thirst tweets he wants but when it’s basically the only thing he does.. well..
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
shan
morning quiff

I don’t enjoy his thirst/lonely tweets in general but I’m usually not too bothered by them. While I sit at home on month four of lockdown having only been allowed to finally go for a walk with a friend for the first time a couple of weeks ago while he’s living with his self-proclaimed soulmate, I’m really not feeling it. I know he doesn’t have to cater his tweets to me or anyone else but the constant dismissal of his actual situation in order to make the same joke it getting a bit old. Tbh I don’t think anyone would really mind if he was the type of person who tweeted more often but when it’s so infrequent it makes it all the more jarring and divisive.

I have some mixed feelings about the comments saying he can’t say these things because he has a book on mental health (I’ve seen a lot of these in the replies to his tweet). On the one hand, he’s a human being and he’s not perfect. His book doesn’t claim to cure your depression and for a lot of people it’s not something you can ‘cure’ permanently in the first place. I don’t think we can judge the state of his mental health from some blue jokes he made on twitter but, even if he isn’t doing so great right now, I don’t think that should have any baring on what was written in his book. Psychologists are still susceptible to depression despite 6+ years of formal education, knowledge doesn’t make you immune and it also doesn’t mean what they’re telling you in a professional context isn’t trustworthy.

On the other hand, he is still promoting a book on mental health. Everyone had different limits on what they think is appropriate when it comes to joking about trauma and Dan’s is definitely more out there than most. Does it reflect well on his book to the average reader? Clearly not if the response is anything to go by. A lot of people can’t find the humour in those kinds of jokes and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with talking about that. I’m on the side of being pretty uncomfy about it as well.

(it's late so I hope this actually makes sense)
starsandshards
living flop

It's weird as well because for someone that goes on and on about how he tries to curate his online persona and frets for so long over the "perfect" tweet, to put that out there was full meh.

I know not every tweet has to be a banger but it's boring/annoying now. Should've stayed a draft IMO. Luckily my opinion doesn't mean a thing and he can obviously tweet/interact however he wants.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I have nothing against a horny tweet and I will always defend the right for people to be as horny on main as they want. I think I'm just tired of it from Dan? Others have 100% already said it, but like it's all we get. I just did a little scroll down his Twitter and its... draining to read his independent tweets lately. Imagine not being a stan and that's all you see of him when he shows up on your timeline?

There's so much more to tweet about than your thirst and it doesn't have to give anything away about your personal life, so that's really no excuse. He could tweet about what's happening in pop culture or the news, he could whip out a generic tweet à la Phil about something he saw at the park, he could reply to his friends (and/or colleagues) on Twitter more frequently. In fact (it's a good joke, a great one even but) he could post himself playing piano without it being a little horny (though I'll say again - that last one was funny, I just really want more piano). The man has told us he likes laughter, food, and sex. And all I'm getting from him is sex. Diversify, my dude.

Honestly, the creep-shot war of yesteryear feels like an unattainable dream now.

The other piece of this for me is Phil. Prefacing my thoughts with: I know Phil doesn't care, I certainly don't care on behalf of Phil, and we all know that their relationship and bond is secure no matter what 280 characters in a tweet say from Dan and Dan reserves that right to be as horny for himself as he wants to be. BUT (heh)... It's just annoying? Like it's flat-out annoying to behave like a single pringle when we all know that you're SUPER not. That could have been your brand for the last 10 years, but it wasn't. And now you've missed the boat, because we all know you bought and designed a home over 3 years with your soulmate/partner-in-crime/husband. <- Nothing I've said there wasn't said by Dan himself. So to then turn around and CONSTANTLY tweet about who you wanna fuck? My eyes literally roll out of my SKULL. It's exhausting. And sometimes, when I'm personally fragile and Dan and Phil are the only thing bringing a shred of a smile to my face, it's hurtful to see a relationship I admire be ignored. That's a me thing. I know I'm being a little hypocritical, but I hope y'all understand my point.

TLDR: I'm just tired of it. Empirically and emotionally.

ETA: I still love Dan. I just miss the Dan I love.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm definitely in line with Rizzo. The horny tweets have historically not bothered me too much aside from wincing at how fandom will react, and it doesn't have anything to do with what I think of their relationship. They're just not funny anymore. They were when we got other stuff too! But now we don't. We just get this weird mix of 'my life sucks' and 'I want dick' and neither of them feel like the Dan I have any interest in. I need it to be part of his online persona not his entire online persona.
liola
rankussy

I've never been happier to have unfollowed Dan on twitter and that's all I have to say. I'm just debating on whether the shipping from AP shop has gotten higher or I'm just imagining it? I don't remember it being 15 euro for Europe.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:09 pm I've never been happier to have unfollowed Dan on twitter and that's all I have to say. I'm just debating on whether the shipping from AP shop has gotten higher or I'm just imagining it? I don't remember it being 15 euro for Europe.
The shipping is higher but that's not specifically down to them. I mean, I do think that they could be a little cheaper as a base cost for it but shipping basically everywhere is higher. John and Hank Green were talking about how much they've been struggling with it during their pizzamas sales event, and I know they're definitely not jacking it up for profit. I mean, they don't profit off of any of it anyway, all their money earned goes to charity.
obvsly
#relatable

I can't really elaborate the way i feel about dan's use of social media as well as others have done here, so I'll keep it short and simple.

It has become predictable and, thus, feels insincere to me. I'm not saying he's fake. I don't think he is. But when everything is exaggerated, you become desensitised to it.

I think I saw someone remarked that dan only has 3 modes on twitter: horny, poor me, and promoting something. It's to the point that people could almost guess now which one we should get next.

For a content creator, this is never a good sign. I'm quite sad. I hope he's okay.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Slut shaming?? Right, ok.

If it wasn't clear, it's the abuse part that made uncomfortable, not the sexy part.

Even if it's just a ~joke, I think it's healthy to keep things like offline with your therapist rather than Twitter. I'll usually fondly roll my eyes a bit at most of Dan's horny-on-main tweets (and be entertained by the phandom response cause we gotta get that hashtag content from somewhere) because I realize he sees it as part of how he expresses himself sexually post-BIG. And I'm really happy for him even if that's not really what I'm here for. But that one reply just REALLY wasn't it for me. That wasn't just 'basic kink' like we're living in an Enemies to Lovers smut fic on AO3. Some coping mechanisms are just bad, not only for yourself but also others if you're a youth mental health ambassador who just published a book about the subject. But sure call that slut shaming I guess?

I strongly feel what rizzo said about how reading Dan's tweets these days is draining. I know that man has more going on his life and head than just the same recycled shit over and over again. He seems more depressed post-BIG than before sometimes, but at the same time he has told us that he's (mostly) happier than ever before. He just moved into his expensive and luxurious dream home that he's been able to design from scratch, why is he looking at people from school on Facebook probably being as broke as the rest of the millennial population? For a reason other than laughing and feeling smug I mean... :?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
laurenbacall
delia smith

reckon phil's going to hit us with a cactus post in the next day or so, saying that he'll drop a video at the weekend? seeing as he's released new merch, now would be a good time to break his silence. the assumptions video was a month ago, and there's been almost 0 from him since, so i'd be down for some new phil content
shan
morning quiff

Yes please! I'll take an out of the blue upload as well, I'm not fussy. It was nice to see him a bit more active on insta this time, even if it was in prep of a merch launch, but I'm craving my monthly 10 minute dose of Phil.

On the topic of merch, I think this might be the first merch drop I've been around for that hasn't sold out almost instantly. For clothes at least most sizes seem to be sold out by the time I get the chance to check them out so it's really interesting seeing every size still in stock days later. Deciding to sell it as a set looks like it might have really hurt sales. It's a shame because the hoodie is very cute and he even splashed out on a professional photographer this time too.
obvsly
#relatable

shan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:01 am On the topic of merch, I think this might be the first merch drop I've been around for that hasn't sold out almost instantly. For clothes at least most sizes seem to be sold out by the time I get the chance to check them out so it's really interesting seeing every size still in stock days later. Deciding to sell it as a set looks like it might have really hurt sales. It's a shame because the hoodie is very cute and he even splashed out on a professional photographer this time too.
I still can’t get over why they didn’t do t-shirts or a light pajama set at the same time. It can easily be done with the same design, just different fabric and cut. In the past, when he released jumpers, there were always t-shirts as well. Maybe because shipping is soooo expensive now, they’re trying to limit to local sales? :roll:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I know merch takes a while to develop, but I wonder if he just kinda missed the mark in time to release expensive lounge wear? In many places people are now going back to schools and offices, making it harder to justify spending that much on stuff to wear around the house.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

It wouldn't surprise me if it was planned a very long time ago. At work we've had delays with up to a year because of issues in every step of the supply chain, from fabric sourcing, to production, prototypes and bulk deliveries.

It's a shame that they are only sold in sets, or at least that you can't have different sizes in top and bottom.
shan
morning quiff

obvsly wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:11 am
shan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:01 am On the topic of merch, I think this might be the first merch drop I've been around for that hasn't sold out almost instantly. For clothes at least most sizes seem to be sold out by the time I get the chance to check them out so it's really interesting seeing every size still in stock days later. Deciding to sell it as a set looks like it might have really hurt sales. It's a shame because the hoodie is very cute and he even splashed out on a professional photographer this time too.
I still can’t get over why they didn’t do t-shirts or a light pajama set at the same time. It can easily be done with the same design, just different fabric and cut. In the past, when he released jumpers, there were always t-shirts as well. Maybe because shipping is soooo expensive now, they’re trying to limit to local sales? :roll:
I would have loved a lighter pj set or t-shirt with the design embroidered on! I get that he's catering towards the biggest proportion of his audience by doing winter clothing but it'd still be nice to include something more year-round for those of us going into the warmer months or who live in climates that pretty much never get cold enough for a super warm fluffy loungewear set in the first place. It seems a missed opportunity since so many people liked the design. And you're not wrong about the shipping, at $35 it's probably for the best that there wasn't anything to grab my attention with this launch! I can't stomach those costs, even if it is for Phil.
gnostic
stress mushroom

Everyone's moved on so I'll just say

(1) while this is definitely reflective of my bubble literally every gay friend of mine in committed relationship thirst posts on main, that's not unusual. Idk how many mlm couples in this age range you guys know but standard is generally a bit different from the straight one

(2) yes, this is a super basic joke for averagely kinky person

Cheers y'all, enjoy your new vibe
Just here for the marketing skills
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

If this doesn't belong in this thread, feel free to move or delete, but I have been reading this morning about the Twitch leak and have seen a list of payouts over the last year or so to the top 100 Twitch streamers. I think the list is just showing subs and donation amounts (I know very little about how Twitch works, sorry) and not money earned from other things like sponsorships and merch, etc.

But I am super curious if any DnP-adjacent people are listed in the larger list -- I think the larger list is supposed to have maybe the top 1000 (or maybe even 10,000) streamers and I just really want to know how much smaller streamers like PJ and Connor and Arden & Will and Julien S. might be earning, or if they are even on this larger list. I have no idea if DnP have ever considered using Twitch, but now I'm super duper interested in learning how much smaller scale streamers might earn. The top 100 streamers are earning really big numbers. :shock:

(Edited to add so I don't double post: Gnostic, I agree with your two points; that context is familiar to me as well, but I get that everyone's experiences and perspectives on this are gonna be different)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

gnostic wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:17 pm Everyone's moved on so I'll just say

(1) while this is definitely reflective of my bubble literally every gay friend of mine in committed relationship thirst posts on main, that's not unusual. Idk how many mlm couples in this age range you guys know but standard is generally a bit different from the straight one

(2) yes, this is a super basic joke for averagely kinky person

Cheers y'all, enjoy your new vibe
The vibe shifts with every new content so don't let this keep you away from the forum overall.

For me it's not even that I think the jokes are offensive or that I think it's any kind of reflection on Dan and Phil. I just miss Dan having more depth than this, which we got when we got a broader range of content. I guess what I'm realizing is that overall his horny jokes weren't really a selling point for me just because it's not my sense of humor.

Also getting three months of real Dan back earlier this year (in the form of Stereo) makes them even more lackluster. I do actually find them funny when it's this facet of Dan's personality alongside Phil's reactions and responses because Phil plays off of them well (or joins in and plays along well) and it's not like... 95% of the content of them together.
adorally
phillion/danosaur <//3

Hi throwing it way back, I was watching PINOF6 and is the "bought you a SPANIEL" joke like just because it rhymes with Dan's name?? Is there a reference I'm missing? LOL. It's at 1:55.

:straggy: :betta: :maskup:
madytastic
dank meme

adorally wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:01 pm Hi throwing it way back, I was watching PINOF6 and is the "bought you a SPANIEL" joke like just because it rhymes with Dan's name?? Is there a reference I'm missing? LOL. It's at 1:55.

i have had this same question for 6 years
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:21 pm If this doesn't belong in this thread, feel free to move or delete, but I have been reading this morning about the Twitch leak and have seen a list of payouts over the last year or so to the top 100 Twitch streamers. I think the list is just showing subs and donation amounts (I know very little about how Twitch works, sorry) and not money earned from other things like sponsorships and merch, etc.
There is a list of the top 10000 streamers and their earnings floating around at the moment ... it *was* part of the leak but it is currently on multiple public forums for anyone to view easily (I found it after searching for under a minute), so I'm not sure if there's any issue with posting that info here? If it is an issue, I understand. I'll put it under a cut anyway, since it's not *technically* D&P related (though kinda-sorta peripheral, I guess), and also boring and numbers-y.

The list covers the period August 2019 - October 2021, so more than two years. I'm not sure exactly when they all started streaming, too - some might have begun within that time. (I *think* PJ started late 2019/early 2020, for example)

Of D&P's circle and circle-adjacent, a few are there:

- julien - no. 92, earned 918684.35 (as a side note, the channel was jennaandjulien until Jenna's departure from the internet last summer; it's unknown whether the channel's earnings have changed since becoming a solo channel, since this is the same channel renamed) (657K followers)
- ardenrose (Will & Arden) - no. 2945, earned 73227.81 (33K followers)
- tytyoakley (Tyler) - no. 3905, earned 56782.87 (31K followers)
- kickthePJ - no. 3952, earned 56096.43 (75.1K followers)

Connor (connorfranta, 20.3K followers) is not on this list, neither is Charlie (coollike, 16.3K followers) - Charlie only started streaming a year(ish) ago so might not have reached the threshold for this list in only that time; I don't know about Connor I'm afraid as I don't follow/watch him. It's also interesting that number of followers doesn't necessarily seem to mean higher income, or number of viewers per stream. (Safiya and Tyler have also started streaming once a week, but on YouTube.)

The above covers income for channel subscriptions and bits, but does not cover donations or sponsorships. (It's also pre-tax, of course.) A lot of Twitch streamers also have things like Patreon (the amount they make there is listed on their profile) or YouTube revenue. I am by no means any sort of expert, especially as I'm not a streamer myself, but I've taken to watching a ton of Twitch in the last couple of years and so have, at least, a small amount of understanding of how it works from the viewer-side (and most of the people I watch do tend to be the DNP-adjacent circle and their friends).

I have a lot of Thoughts about the idea of D and/or P streaming on Twitch but this is already pretty long, so I'll save that for another time. :lol:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

ok I feel like this conversation is mostly past now but I've been mulling it over still and having some thoughts so here's an attempt at articulating said thoughts:

While I don't really mind horny or sexual-themed tweets, and often find them entertaining, I do understand where people are coming from when they say it feels more tired from Dan because at the moment that's really all of what we get from him. With a wider variety of tweet themes, as well as videos, etc. from Phil, a sexual joke or two doesn't seem so one note.

I also think it's interesting to balance the dichotomy on the internet of some things being #notthatdeep jokes and some things being serious and personal. For me at least I feel like there can be an odd kind of emotional whiplash when you log on and see posts from tons of different people who are all in completely different places emotionally and different places than I am emotionally. Sometimes it works great and cheers you up out of a funk and sometimes it can do the complete opposite.

I personally never take a Dan tweet very seriously unless it's something more clearly sincere. And idk maybe that's not how Dan wants things to be interpreted, but until he says something otherwise I'm mostly going to assume that things Dan posts lean towards humor and that also doesn't mean that all of it lands with me.

Anyway, I had the thought last night after watching some old Dan vids about how much Dan's humor is and was based in relatability of struggles and how much Dan has grown over the years. It feels to me like there's an incongruency with the person Dan has become, working on himself, being healthier, happier, etc. and the classic 'Dan' humor points. And I get it. It's a lot harder to be funny and relatable and feel that sense of comradery when you're like 'hey, being a mentally stable and generally doing ok person, amirite!?'. I feel like people on social media at that kind of place in personal growth can fall very easily into a health-blog, preachy sort of strain that Dan seemed clear of intending to avoid with things like YWGTTN.

So all that to say, it leads me to the thought of what does future Dan('s content) look like? How does Dan's growth and who he is now, with all his past and current humor translate into something he wants to make and people will enjoy??

Recently, I feel like the content I have been craving from Dan is really casual stuff. I think maybe this fits into people feeling like Dan has become flat because we see a very limited and thematically filtered amount of him, but I want so badly to just here him talk about or see him do the things that are fun and interesting to him right now. Which I know is hard (makes me think of the comment in BIG about monetizing every aspect of your life) and having personal hobbies is important, but the things I would love most from Dan are like,, insta stories about building a fancy fish tank and learning about fish, casual liveshow chatter about shows or music he's been into, maybe something like a gaming stream, just Dan doing something that makes him happy and also sharing it with us. Idk if anything along those lines will ever happen, but I can hope.

Ok that was long, but I want to tack on one more tangent thought on here: seeing people post/say things like 'ugh I don't like who Dan is now he isn't the Dan I like/I have to unfollow Dan 'cause I can't stand what he posts anymore' makes me really ???. Maybe I've talked about it on here before but I feel like there's this weird part of internet culture about like,, following people and,, loyalty?? that feels toxic/unhealthy to me. People grow, together and apart, that's how life is. Following someone or enjoying someone's content at some time shouldn't be like signing a lifelong contract to do so forever. It can be sad when your interests and your vibe grow apart from someone you like, be it a friend or content creator you follow online but it isn't necessarily a bad thing. The great thing about internet space is that you can curate it to be a space to retreat to and enjoy the things you enjoy, and sometimes those things change and that's okay. Unfollowing someone, especially someone famous that you don't have a close relationship with shouldn't be like some massive betrayal. If seeing someone's posts on your feed consistently doesn't make you feel good anymore, doesn't bring you joy, you don't have to keep following. Marie Kondo your fucking following list, folks.
(but also, maybe try to let up on the negativity a bit for those who are still enjoying it)

PS, it's been a month since Phil's last vid, I am HUNGRY for whatever he is cooking up next. And if dinner won't be ready for a little while yet, I'd love an afternoon snack to tide me over.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart: