Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:55 pm I don’t condemn Dan or Cornelia for saying something but especially Dan has a big following and idk, I just think that you should verify things before you post them on your big platform. I guess I am surprised because c’mon, a carrd? Really? He really could’ve not found a more reliable source? That’s a newbie’s mistake and it took him an entire hour to delete the tweet even though people immediately informed him of the potential danger of it. I am not crucifying him, but let’s admit he fucked up. He’s not the first, he won’t be the last. I fuck up too, thank god basically no one sees it.
I am glad he deleted the tweet, there are definitely better resources. I'm talking less about Dan himself and more about the fandom response. I did have to dig a bit to even find people saying WHY the tweet was bad, which made me side eye the phannies coming out the woodwork to yell at him but not offering any explanations. If I did my own research into something and someone comes along saying "that's bad, delete it" then I think it would be equally irresponsible to blindly trust them. We are dealing with a country whose leadership we are very aware knows how to use social media to disrupt the spread of information on social media by making everyone unsure of what to trust so I think it's very important that right now if you're telling someone to take something down you need to show your homework as to why. Its very easy to fall into blindly parroting something someone else said, which is the impression I got from most of the replies. It just seemed like one person said 'Dan is linking to something bad' and everyone else fell all over themselves to crucify him for it in the replies.
shan
morning quiff

Back on my own little tangent, I found the tweet Dan had retweeted again and it was a thread from the official Ukrainian Twitter account. I didn’t originally see replies to his tweet other than the ones providing sources but going back and reading all the tweets dogpiling was absolutely unnecessary. The fact that he felt the need to delete official information he shared coming from the Ukraine twitter account, likely from the dogpiling on the other tweet, is hardly something those people should be patting themselves on the back about.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:55 pm [...] Dan has a big following and idk, I just think that you should verify things before you post them on your big platform. I guess I am surprised because c’mon, a carrd? Really? He really could’ve not found a more reliable source?
I don't know how many people saw Phil's retweet of a link to the card, it was before Dan posted, but he retweeted it from Jane Lytvyenko, a verified Ukrainian reporter who said all the organizations "were reputable and doing good work", Ben Hunte shared the carrd on his insta story yesterday and Owen Jones retweeted it (and it's still up). I guess maybe seeing these reputable journalists share the carrd was why Dan thought it was a safe one to share. I guess it's a lesson learned that you can never be too sure, even if you feel like you've done a sufficient job verifying the info.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yeah the tweet from Jane Lytvyenko that Phil RT'ed is obviously where Dan got the Carrd link from, and it's been going around as a trustworthy source for days now. People act like they just lazily RT'ed the first thing they saw or are even acting in bad faith. I'm glad people were quick to correct them out of genuine concern, but a bunch of phannies (many of them already on my blocklist gee i wonder why) seemed to be mostly concerned with having the moral high ground over someone than actually correcting misinformation during a fucking war.

The criticism about it taking too long... eh. Yeah I understand why people say it took too long, but I also get needing some time to decide to delete a tweet that also linked to a majority of GOOD organizations. Does the good outweigh the bad? And is it actually true? Because I also hope they took some time to investigate the criticism they were getting, in order to not make a second mistake. There's currently plenty of contradicting opinions from Western activists and actual Ukrainian people about that Carrd, on top of the pro-Russian trolls framing the invasion of Ukraine as a fight against n*zis (and some tankies falling for it hook line and sinker).

If you genuinely care about misinformation, you don't want influential people to panic delete potentially life saving information every time every time someone blows up in their mentions. Instead you cite sources making it easier upon whoever was spreading the misinformation to make an informed choice.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Grey
lady door

I didn’t see the tweet or the comments saying to take it down but reading that he retweeted from a Ukrainian journalist makes me want to add this thought:

Everyone should try to verify information before sharing it of course, and if you have a large following, that maybe applies to you even more than normal. I totally agree that Dan should verify stuff before posting. I’m just not convinced that Dan doesn’t also agree with that.

The reason I think that is that he posts really sporadically and he has said before that part of that is due to anxiety about wanting it to be perfect, which I assume is also related to having a large following who will analyze everything he does. I’m not saying his tweets are super high quality or anything (personally I don’t enjoy his style of tweeting), but I’m saying that he seems to put thought into what he posts. It doesn’t seem to fit with his normal pattern that he would just post some random thing he saw on a whim, totally oblivious to his large following. It seems that in this case, he missed something important and it’s good he took it down. I’m inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt though. The time it took to be taken down also makes sense if he was trying to verify the info first.
I'm having a stress.
kavat
pastel persona

Most of the criticism I saw wasn't even "that source is bad" but "carrd is bad". I get that a lot of carrds are questionable and anyone can make one, but it's just a way to collect links in an easy way. If you find the recourses linked to be serious there's nothing wrong with linking them through carrd. Writing off all carrds as bad because it can be used for less serious or trustworthy things is just shooting the messanger. We saw the exact same thing during the height of the BLM protests, people got flamed for linking a carrd for no particular reason.
laurenbacall
delia smith

i've been watching dapg from the beginning for the whoknowswhat time, and i was wondering: are there any videos that you always skip on rewatch? i always skip every undertale video (i loved the series the first time i watched it, but then i felt like the game aged poorly. also, i found the videos too long and slow, and all the fights really boring), and all of the ipad app games (the dragon ones, my horse prince, world chef, face swap etc)
shan
morning quiff

I love this question and I’m really interested to see which series aren’t people’s favourites and why! The Undertale series are probably my most watched dapg videos actually, I find them really relaxing to have on in the background when I’m working but I don’t know how I’d go just sitting down and watching them tbf. I also have a strange soft spot for their Dragon City and World Chef videos. I have no idea why because they are fully just ads but I rewatch them quite a lot!

I avoid most of the horror videos because I’m a pretty massive scaredy cat and need to be in the right mood for them which is rare. I also don’t go back to things like the bomb defusal game and fire boy and water girl. I think it’s probably something to do with Dan being loud and ott the whole way through and there’s only so much I can handle lol. I don’t love the job simulator game when Dan smacks Phil in the face with the VR controller just because of that moment. Also Akinator.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have to be honest, I don't actually rewatch DAPG like... ever, except for during the phandom gives livestreams. It's not that I don't like them it's just that... when I really crave Dan and Phil content I want the long talky videos where it's about them, not about a game. And that isn't to say I didn't love gaming videos upon first watch - because I would get genuinely very excited when a new one dropped. But short of a very small number of them (final google feud, the creepy mind of phil lester... and I'm sure there are a few more not coming to me right now) I just never go back to them.
kavat
pastel persona

I skip any where they (or let's be real, Dan) get too loud. I just can't handle it. Yasuhati is probably my least watched videos.

On the flipside though, I can watch the golf videos endlessly. They are pure comfort for me.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:19 am I have to be honest, I don't actually rewatch DAPG like... ever, except for during the phandom gives livestreams. It's not that I don't like them it's just that... when I really crave Dan and Phil content I want the long talky videos where it's about them, not about a game. And that isn't to say I didn't love gaming videos upon first watch - because I would get genuinely very excited when a new one dropped. But short of a very small number of them (final google feud, the creepy mind of phil lester... and I'm sure there are a few more not coming to me right now) I just never go back to them.
This is pretty much how I feel too. If I were to pick a dapg video to watch, it would be along the lines of Who Wants to be a Millionaire or that puzzle where you have to go back to the beginning when you miss a clue. Oh! And Pokemon Go! I tend not to think of them as gaming videos because they are vloggy--and outdoors. But they are some of my favorite Deppy videos.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil tries again, which I'm glad about.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

As a pokemon illiterate I understand nothing about this tweet
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil acknowledging the holiest of breakfast food days.
kavat
pastel persona

I'd call that a 4/10 pancake tweet, I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm.

Oh, but he just posted IG stories from the zoo, so I guess he's forgiven if he's been out and about today.
literally_formless
butt chair

Ugh what would I give for a pancake day photo of the two of them in their kitchen.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:56 pm I'd call that a 4/10 pancake tweet, I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm.

Oh, but he just posted IG stories from the zoo, so I guess he's forgiven if he's been out and about today.
My suspicion is that he's still milking the week he was quiet, when his friend visited. The zoo trip seems like something you'd take a tourist friend to do, and posting two week old images is something Phil would do, lmao.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

How nice of Phil to post 2 pictures of Dan! :lilheart:

Though he does look a bit green in that first one.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Oh and we also got a Short, another deodorant scent review.

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

Wow, this must be the most active Phil has been in one day without promoting a video in a very, very long time! A tweet, insta stories, a youtube short and a members post (basically just saying 'hey, new short' but still). Thank you pancake day for bringing all the Phil content :ribena:
starsandshards
living flop

Most welcome content!! Zoo date! 😍
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So many Instastories lately! (hope i didn't jinx that)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
starsandshards
living flop

:shrug: It definitely looks like Dan, right?
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

Definitely looks like Dan, haha.
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

(moderator, halp!) (ty)

It's a good thing Phil films his AmazingPhil videos in an office separate from the rest of the apartment because with all the wierd body sprays he's been testing lately It's going to start smelling funky in there.
Last edited by Catallena on Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed embedded link
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie