Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Wait, what happened with Hometown Showdown? I didn't know it got changed?
thank's you were great
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

This is too much to take in

I can't imagine how that must feel. To see your literal dreams get screwed over in your face

I hope he really is okay and not just forcing himself to be.

I wish him the best.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Yawn
smol bean

The last 20-30 minutes was very powerful, but I think the first hour could have done with some editing. A lot of stuff we all know about what youtube/the algorithm is like.
In any case, very glad to have him back in some capacity, and god, YTO screwed him over. What a horrible time he's had, and explains the last couple of years. Let's hope the future is brighter.
dumbslet
tol bean

ok I've watched it all!

proud of Dan and his growth, raging on his behalf for what YTO did to him, cautiously optimistic that he achieves what he wants.

really nice to see that he's got a camera crew and a producer credited, I think it's remarkable progress that he's able to admit that he doesn't like that fiddly part of the process and that he's better served as the scriptwriter. good for him, that's good progress.

not sure what the appetite will be like for the world tour, not sure how many d&p (as a fandom, rather than as a couple) fans are left that would pay to see him - around the world ?? - but hope it works out well for him.

I hope he gets a chance to film his comedy miniseries. It sounds good, and I would definitely watch it. as a wlw in my late twenties who's struggled with internalised homophobia and societal expectations, I would love to see this show made.

I am heartbroken for him for what happened, it's truly horrific. I work for the NHS (lol) and we've been fucked over sideways more times than I can count so I know this feeling all too well.

also - kudos to Phil for being an excellent life partner through all of that. I can't imagine it has been easy - sounds like their forever home purchase had to be delayed whilst Dan got fucked around by YTO, so that can't have been easy. but I'm glad they have each other, it sounds like they have a very supportive relationship and I think some of Phil's nonchalance about the integrity of youtube money grabbing (capitalester) balances Dan's bleeding heart out.

ALSO ALSO. I'm mad that the documentary never got filmed, because what little we saw of that marathon documentary was fantastic and I definitely wanted to see more of it. was it filmed? I hope they find a way to release it somehow, I would love to watch it and it sounded like there were a lot of important messages. although that said, it also seemed fairly personal and voyeuristic, so maybe Dan's rethinking bleeding his heart out onto the carpet. which is fine, we don't have to make content at the expense of our own vulnerability, but he did seem to indicate that he wants to create that type of content.

ahhh I hope you get to do what you want, Dan. I'll watch your sad gay shit, alright? we're all sad gays, there must've been some shit in the water in the nineties when we were conceived.
hellboyhowell
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

hmm i think my post got eaten? wrote a mini review and it's not showing up in the thread :(

basically what i previously wrote was , i really enjoyed this video and i think it explains a lot of the radio silence since BIG, but unfortunately i dont think this is enough for me to want to see him on tour again. maybe it's just from outgrowing the fandom or maybe im not interested in the solo aspect of it but it was kind of a shock that he announced one.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Umm, that sounds awful and explains a lot.

I wasn't into a lot of aspects of the previous D&P stage shows (singing, dancing, gimmicks) but honestly I'll likely go to a standup show with Dan solo. His humor is similar to mine, and I think he's a world class storyteller.

Can't wait for parasocial insta stories from tour
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

Dan somehow timed this perfectly for me - he posted right as I was sitting down to do a huge piece of very late night work and it made the whole work task much less painfully boring.

I really enjoyed this video - the first half because I’m a youtube nerd and really enjoy listening to people talk about YT and the second half because… well. Damn. Dan discussing everything that’s happened over the past few years was so illuminating - he keeps managing to post these videos that really unveil a whole side of things we’re not typically privy to. YTO screwed him over so royally.

I have to give him props for detailing all of that and still deciding that he wants to create YT content again. There’s a great amount of grace and maturity in being able to do that, considering how he was treated and how it affected him, and I hope he’s really doing well with moving onwards and upwards.

Also stoked that he got himself a team to help him do the parts of content creation he doesn’t want to do. This video honestly felt super nostalgic to watch - I’d missed hearing Dan just talk about things, tbh. It was nice to experience that again - and sad that we could have been having a lot more of that for the past two years if not for YT themselves.

I’m glad he decided to tell the whole story of it. Drag them, Daniel!!
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

imaginarymind wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:27 pm hello!! haven't been on here in years whoops!
anyways I'm semi back on my bullshit with dan uploading, and I'm peeking in the inspect tab on his tour website- found a couple links to various ticket sites, BUT also several links to festivals??? one of them being coachella??? I am confusion...
Ooh interesting. What ticket sites did you find?

It’s nice to see his face again. I must admit I found the first 40 mins or so just a rehash of what we already know about him but the last 40 minutes were a real eye opener. I can’t believe what he has been through and how awfully he was treated. No wonder he has been silent for so long. It just goes to show you never know what’s going on behind closed doors. I’m glad he felt able to be open and honest with us about what happened, I personally appreciated it a lot.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
dontpanic
#relatable

I wonder how the tour's going to play out. the "fandom" isn't really a thing anymore, true, but the power of nostalgia is really strong and unlike a lot of things popular in the early/mid 2010s dan's whole vibe aged pretty well. He's trending #5 in the US on twitter so people remember him, I think if the prices are reasonable and the venues aren't huuuuge he won't have trouble selling tickets.

swimgirl_1108 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:11 pm Also not to be rude but I feel so vindicated. I've been perpetually annoyed at people shitting on Dan for not doing anything without knowing what was going on with him. He was working so hard and y'all don't know his life.
same. I'm NOT calling out anyone bc everyone's entitled to their own opinions, but damn ppl were really hard on him for a while, I had to take a break from IDB.
Last edited by dontpanic on Wed May 04, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phancon
delia smith

honestly between dan's projects imploding, phil's health issues and dan's returning depression thanks to the failed projects, it sounds like they've had a rough year

really enlightening video though. kinda makes me wanna burn yt to the ground a little bit.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved the video, as much as you can love hearing your adopted internet little bro pouring his heart out about how the corporate fuckery was an uncaring bastard to him. I’ve been there on the flip side of the coin with what I now know is autism and ADHD fuelling the anxiety that stuffed up my attempts at careers, got me fired from two of my 15 jobs. I have no love for all that.

I didn’t mind the whole dive into YouTube that we’ve likely heard before. I love how he presents, he’s sharp as ever and cool, a whole team now, they did a great job.

It was very interesting to hear the whole story and damn, the corporate ‘busy’ line (that word has 4 letters) and silence, just :evil: I did not expect the twist ending (um, spoiler? We already know there’s a tour), that was very fun especially to see him happier and hyped. A very apt title for the show too cos jfc the world right now. Heh. I wasn’t happy with his long break from talking to us, I remember it took us a long time to realise that this was it at the time. Understanding it so well now is very nice.
nicky1388
spork

hello.

i haven't posted here in years. but dan posted a video so i shall post.

Dan does have that magical quality about him. I have not watched the full thing yet but the way he narrates makes me forget how much time is passing. I love Phil but I have always related more to Dan. I think it's because of some of the mental issues and family issues. Mine are not identical of course but I still feel I can relate more to him. Sometimes Phil is too bright for me, which is wierd because I get called a ray of sunshine unironically. Lol.

Anyhow. I wanted to post to say, i hope he comes here to the states. He has a way of telling stories that just draws you in and i would love to see it in person as i am hoping for something way more lowkey than II. I had trouble with that one as i felt they were catering to an audience they still thought was much younger.

I will go watch the video and come back and try to be more coherent.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

laurenbacall wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 pm i'm sorry to be negative but dropping 45, 58 and 85 minute long videos is asking for a level of attention and commitment that i am not willing to give someone who disappears for months/years on end and can barely muster 280 characters for a tweet
Dan explains in the video that he's been "not able to get out of bed" depressed, suffering from insomnia, sick with ulcers, a new anxiety disorder etc. We are all very understanding with Phil's physical health issues, I hope we can be as understanding with Dan's mental health issues as well.

He's been tied up with youtube stringing him along and not allowing him to discuss any of the projects he's been working on while also not giving him any concrete answers to said projects. I can imagine participating in social media during this time period would have been hellish, with people wanting answers to when he's coming back and him only being able to say "he's working on it" and then being accused of being lazy when he was being anything but. It isn't anyone's fault, because we can't see behind the scenes, but it's a reminder that things aren't always what they seem.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Wow so much to process. And so good to see people coming back on idb!!

I feel like I need to watch the second half again just to understand the timeline of everything. DnP have been working on their house for years, correct? Was this show-funding delay after they had started designing it already??
waitingfan
tol bean

This new video is so mind-blowing that it literally took me 3 hours to watch it - there are just so many details to digest and process. My most general comment would be: Dan’s writing skill really does improve so much after writing that book and that comedy script. I knew he’s a good writer before but this video is seriously next level. His writing style in this is so shockingly sensational and intelligent at the same time. It almost miraculously stir up your instinctual emotional responses and force you to think simultaneously. It is fabulous, truly, that he can merge sense and sentiments.
scientia
phabergé

laurenbacall wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:39 pm i'm sorry to be negative but dropping 45, 58 and 85 minute long videos is asking for a level of attention and commitment that i am not willing to give someone who disappears for months/years on end and can barely muster 280 characters for a tweet
This beautifully summarizes how I feel as well :|
Grey
lady door

When I first saw this notification, I was happy but then I saw how long it was and thought that’s way too long, I don’t care about Dan that much anymore, I’ll just start it to see what it’s about. Then I sat through the whole thing. He’s a good story teller. What a wild and horrible story though, damn. Onwards and upwards? :ourmoney:
I'm having a stress.
soveinco
drama llama

LAshleigh wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:19 am Wow so much to process. And so good to see people coming back on idb!!

I feel like I need to watch the second half again just to understand the timeline of everything. DnP have been working on their house for years, correct? Was this show-funding delay after they had started designing it already??
That stuck out to me as well! From what they had said about the house timeline previously, it had sounded like buying the house was already a done deal back in 2018-ish and then it was the building part that was delayed. But the way he mentioned it in this video, it was implied that they wouldn't be buying the house if he had to pay for the show . . . but the show stuff was 2019 or 2020 . . . confusing! Maybe I'm just confused because I don't know how paying for a house works. :D

Non-related: personally I'm super excited for a tour because I didn't get into the fandom until 2019 (my timing...), so I didn't think I'd ever to get to see a tour of any kind ever at all! Also the first video I ever watched for either of them was actually Dan talking about the marathon at Vidcon, so I'm totes down to see him just standing up on a stage and talking engagingly about things, haha
Rampurewal123456
smol bean

Do dan and phil still live together ?
Grey
lady door

soveinco wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:18 am
Non-related: personally I'm super excited for a tour because I didn't get into the fandom until 2019 (my timing...), so I didn't think I'd ever to get to see a tour of any kind ever at all! Also the first video I ever watched for either of them was actually Dan talking about the marathon at Vidcon, so I'm totes down to see him just standing up on a stage and talking engagingly about things, haha
Wow you joined in 2019 and you’re STILL HERE?? That’s amazing. :lol: I bet the tour will be a really good time too so your patience paid off (probably)! I think Dan can be trusted to put a lot of effort into the things he releases into the world.
I'm having a stress.
Grey
lady door

Rampurewal123456 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:23 am Do dan and phil still live together ?
They bought a house together last year (there’s a video about it on Phil’s channel). So yeah presumably - at least there’s no indication that they don’t.
I'm having a stress.
shan
morning quiff

Ok, wow. That was a lot to process and I still think I need to watch it again to take everything in. I thought BIG was long but this was literally a feature length video!

I don’t know who was in charge of what projects YouTube took on but whoever said no to the Dan and Phil travel series AND the Truth Bombs game show is an absolute idiot. I’ve been mourning what could have been with the travel show for years but the game show is just rubbing salt in the wound.

I think the premise of Dan’s show sounds great and I really hope it does get picked up by someone else and get to see the light of day. If I’m honest, I don’t know if YouTube really was the right place for it if he wanted to reach a wider audience so maybe this is actually a blessing in disguise. But well and truly fuck YouTube for stringing him along like that (and probably a lot of other creators too).

I’ll definitely be aiming for tickets if he’s coming to my country, I missed out on II by a couple of months and I’d love the chance to see him live, even if there’s no Phil :( My guess is this tour will be in more intimate venues than the last two, or at least I selfishly hope so. A more chilled out show would be more up my alley but honestly I'd shell out the money regardless.

Overall, feeling pissed as heck at YouTube but cautiously optimistic about the future of Dan as an occasional presence on the internet again.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Hey, I'm just excited at the idea of more content on danisnotonfire Daniel Howell! :newyear:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
literally_formless
butt chair

Wow. wow wow wow. I admit I was also sitting there for the first 40 minutes like "why is he summarizing the actual history of YouTube?" And I probably could still live without that. But I lived through it, and still remember life before Algorithms; I have no idea how I'd feel if I were much younger.

When Dan turned the corner, narratively, and started listing all the things he did to go along to get along, and all the time he's spent pitching and letting other opportunities go, I admit I had my hand to my mouth like I was watching a horror movie. Oh, Dan. It is horrible to be strung along professionally and find out at the end all you've done is waste time. I have been there in my career, all my friends have, it is so hard to have that moment of recognition and decide to stop playing along.

I remember seeing that YTO announcement in January (maybe even I posted it here?) and thinking "hmm, wonder if this screws with any projects they have in the works." What an understatement. Wow. Wow wow wow.

Also, I guess it was weird to see how much lined up with what others have said? Like to hear him say that "Trying to Live My Truth" was his last real YouTube video was surprising. Listening to him admit he is embarrassed to have promised stuff again and again, knowing how hollow it rang after a while, made me feel bad.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Rampurewal123456 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:23 am Do dan and phil still live together ?
I'm not sure if this is trolling, but yes they designed and bought a flat together and only moved in within the year. It's clear that the joint videos were filmed there as recently as christmas.