Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

obvsly wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:19 pm
literally_formless wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:03 pm I just had a thought that Dan might do podcast appearances around promoting the tour and got happy to look forward to that. Hearing anybody on a press tour gets very samey after a while, but he does loosen up when talking with the right host.
I'm praying to all that's holy that somehow he could get john and/or hank green to interview him to promote the tour! I agree with you wholeheartedly about the right host. dan puts on such a persona during the book tour but the one talk he had with john was so wholesome, i'd love that for him (and us) again. :prideheart2:
I would give ANYTHING for that. I think a conversation between him and Hank would be very different in tone but equally fascinating.

I'll also throw it out there that the next time Hank or John needs to miss a DHAJ episode.... Dan would be a great consideration for guest host.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

kavat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:43 am I wonder if he wore that scarf over his face all day not to get recognized. He could have just worn a black face mask like a normal person but no, he wanted to look like he was robbing a bank
Omg, that’s funny. I figured it’s a more edgy, emo kind of mask. Dan being the softest bean notwithstanding apparently ;)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phil? phil pls? phil i miss u :(
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:50 pm phil? phil pls? phil i miss u :(
Dan's q&a went up Saturday so I'm hopeful that Phil will do something today or tomorrow - even just an interesting short or community post. We're approaching a month and a half since his last video, so hopefully something is coming soon!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

HE LIVES!! sorta.

I wonder whether Phil Shorts are officially dead now.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Knowing that Phil is back home, I'm actually guessing that the silence in the past few days is a combination of them needing to soak in their time reunited and perhaps just wanting to be quiet around the time of a tragedy. I think that's not uncommon for them, to want to wait until it doesn't seem like they're being flippant in the face of something that a big part of their audience is understandably preoccupied by.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

insert "is this joint content?" meme
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

youtube now lets you see the "most replayed" parts of videos and... yes, i am going back and rewatching videos to confirm that we all have the same favorite bits:

*~*~mems~*~*
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Another response video to Dan's video from Wheezywaiter- quite good in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUsI6W7-d28&t=634s
tinaoe
crusty sponge

rizzo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:51 pm youtube now lets you see the "most replayed" parts of videos and... yes, i am going back and rewatching videos to confirm that we all have the same favorite bits:

*~*~mems~*~*
the second i realized what this new feature was i knew it would expose everyone lol
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

MOD POST

We've had several reports about spam in private messages. The account sending these has been banned. If you've received such spam please just ignore and delete it, there's no need to report it again.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So quiet again :|

A few days ago I got this tweet recommended to me (on a non dnp related account thanks algorithm) and now I wonder how well sales are going in other places. And not to immediately pressure him into cranking out non-stop content but seeing him around more would help things.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

I was pretty surprised when I saw how many North American shows he's doing tbh. Not only that but he's doing 5 shows in California and 3 in Florida (which is one of the venues this tweet is about). While I personally didn't have much of a problem with him taking time away, it's just a fact that a lot of people have moved on during his absence. The number of shows is still on par with the joint tours in the height of their popularity though, albeit in slightly smaller venues. FWIW the show in my city (not NA) looks slightly more than two thirds sold.

Does anyone happen to know the cost of renting these kinds of venues? I feel like the number of tickets you'd have to sell to break even wouldn't be too high or else touring wouldn't be as profitable as it is, but I'd be very, very interested if anyone had insider info on that side of things!
ArtyJim
glabella

That twitter thread got me curious so I looked up where Dan's show will be in my state compared to where II was. II was in a space that held 5,000 seats and the one for Dan's show is only 1,600. Right now the first 13 or so rows of seats are completely sold but overall maybe 1/3 have sold so far. Obviously I want the tour to be profitable for Dan but smaller shows with less people will make for a cool intimate experience for those going. And he still has months to, hopefully, put out more content to get people interested.

I'm also curious about how much of his tour/show is planned out. Is he still designing set? Has he written and developed the whole thing? He's obviously got the premise of it but I'm curious how much of it is ready to go already.

I feel like Dan must have something big planned for the summer to help amp up his tour starting. And selfishly I hope we get joint content on Phil's channel to promote the tour.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

The ticket sales at the venue (1600 seats) near me don't seem too shabby. The main floor is practically sold out and about 1/3 of the balcony. I checked the sales of other shows around the same time period and he's seems to be doing better than all of them (the most recognizable is Amy Shumer).

I also am surprised at how many shows he's doing in the US. I saw a response to a question (on twitter, maybe?) asking him if he would consider adding a certain stop to the itinerary and he answered something like if the tour proves to be popular maybe the promoter would consider. That made me feel a little better that he isn't going into it thinking it's going to be sold out venue after sold out venue, but I wonder why they didn't start out smaller and add more along the way. Maybe to grab venues while they were still available?

I saw a post on tumblr where an anon asked someone if they thought there would be enough interest after he was "gone" for so long and I really liked their answer. They said something along the lines of the tour seemed to be more about Dan taking back control of his content by doing something he loves, connecting with people again, etc. and that there would definitely be enough interest for that. If you look at it that way, I guess super high ticket sales aren't the only gauge for what makes a successful tour.
dontpanic
#relatable

I can only speak for LA and the Bay Area, but in both places it's sometimes cheaper for an artist to partner with medium sized venues rather than smaller ones, surprisingly (at least for standups and improv groups, idk about musicians). Like something my ex-gf found out at work, a stand-up selling out all 99 seats at the dynasty typewriter often makes less than selling 1/3 capacity (so 100 of the 300 seats) at the hollywood improv. not more $ by a crazy amount, but noticeable. it's usually because places like the improv have more expensive tickets, food, and drinks, and since the talent usually gets a cut of that they're going to make more. even though smaller venues give the talent a higher percentage of the night's profit it still won't touch what you'll get from a more established place (to a point, of course. If you book a large venue and you only sell like, 20% capacity then you're losing money bby and should've started smaller. but Dan's not struggling that bad to worry about $ loss).

Dan's got the clout and the team to book the mid-sized places, so he might as well book those instead of smaller venues where he'll sell out but won't make as much. At least from a $$ perspective, maybe more intimate settings is better for the *art* but I'm not an artsy person, I can't speak on that part haha.

idk if anything I wrote makes sense, I'm very very tired and can't find my glasses
kavat
pastel persona

I don't think there's any point in worrying, the tour is still months away. People need time to save up, make plans, take time off etc before they can get their tickets.

There's some unreasonable expectation to sell out within the first days because it sounds cool and creates hype, but if that happens it just means you booked too small venues.
shan
morning quiff

dontpanic wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 4:08 am I can only speak for LA and the Bay Area, but in both places it's sometimes cheaper for an artist to partner with medium sized venues rather than smaller ones, surprisingly (at least for standups and improv groups, idk about musicians). Like something my ex-gf found out at work, a stand-up selling out all 99 seats at the dynasty typewriter often makes less than selling 1/3 capacity (so 100 of the 300 seats) at the hollywood improv. not more $ by a crazy amount, but noticeable. it's usually because places like the improv have more expensive tickets, food, and drinks, and since the talent usually gets a cut of that they're going to make more. even though smaller venues give the talent a higher percentage of the night's profit it still won't touch what you'll get from a more established place (to a point, of course. If you book a large venue and you only sell like, 20% capacity then you're losing money bby and should've started smaller. but Dan's not struggling that bad to worry about $ loss).

Dan's got the clout and the team to book the mid-sized places, so he might as well book those instead of smaller venues where he'll sell out but won't make as much. At least from a $$ perspective, maybe more intimate settings is better for the *art* but I'm not an artsy person, I can't speak on that part haha.
This was really interesting, thank you! So are artists usually compensated as a percentage of sales rather than paying a flat rate booking fee and taking home anything over that amount? That would make a lot of sense actually.

I did a bit of clicking around to random venues and most of them seem to be selling just fine and a handful were basically sold out. There were a few that were similar to the venue in the tweet but they'll hardly lead to his financial ruin like I've seen some people on twitter etc. freaking out about since tickets went on sale.

I also have a bit of a hunch that this tour might not be bankrolled by them like the last tours were? I'm not sure why, I don't think he's said anything, it's just a vibe I get. It'd definitely be all the more reason to go big!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Does that tone of "oh no. daniel. oh no" rub anyone else the wrong way? Like, I'm sure he's aware of ticket sale projections. No need to raise condescending awareness.

Besides, a tour's success isn't black and white. You don't need to sell out every show to make a profit.
kavat
pastel persona

shan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:47 am I also have a bit of a hunch that this tour might not be bankrolled by them like the last tours were? I'm not sure why, I don't think he's said anything, it's just a vibe I get. It'd definitely be all the more reason to go big!
Tatinof US was sponsored by Crunchyroll and II by Rize, so there's definitely a possibility that he has a sponsor for this tour. Maybe a new livestreaming app ;)
shan
morning quiff

kavat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 am
shan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:47 am I also have a bit of a hunch that this tour might not be bankrolled by them like the last tours were? I'm not sure why, I don't think he's said anything, it's just a vibe I get. It'd definitely be all the more reason to go big!
Tatinof US was sponsored by Crunchyroll and II by Rize, so there's definitely a possibility that he has a sponsor for this tour. Maybe a new livestreaming app ;)
Oh you're right, I forgot about that! Stereo is still kicking so maybe they'll sponsor him?? The dream would be if we got to listen in on weekly dnp catch ups while Dan's away on tour. Just imagining the little tour vs. home anecdotes and bants... Ugh, it'd be so perfect.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Well I'm relieved that it isn't going that badly for him, but it does seem like he needs to get on the promotion train this summer to get more seats filled. There's been advertisements spotted on public transport so perhaps the promotor is trying to appeal this show to an audience unfamiliar with Dan as well?

Anyway, AmazingPhil Member Post time! It's been a while.
I'm glad he took that last minute vacation and didn't overwork himself to get a video out right before like in the past. He's taking steps like that for his health and I'm proud of him because behavior like that is hard to unlearn.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

It is so uniquely Phil to have been back for a while (I'm pretty sure at least - M&C definitely have been) and yet wait to even say it, therefore setting our expectations for a video to mid week at the earliest.
stupidbaby
first-time poster

Catallena wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:32 pm Well I'm relieved that it isn't going that badly for him, but it does seem like he needs to get on the promotion train this summer to get more seats filled. There's been advertisements spotted on public transport so perhaps the promotor is trying to appeal this show to an audience unfamiliar with Dan as well?

Anyway, AmazingPhil Member Post time! It's been a while.
I'm glad he took that last minute vacation and didn't overwork himself to get a video out right before like in the past. He's taking steps like that for his health and I'm proud of him because behavior like that is hard to unlearn.
hi 👋🏻
i have a genuine question since i haven’t been keeping up with dan or phil for the last year or so…but does phil do anything besides posting the occasional youtube video? and i see that he still offers a membership to his channel. do people not find it odd that he still gives people the option to pay him 6.99 a month for not a whole lot in return? i know people are free to do what they want with their own money, but it seems kinda..wrong? sorry if this has been discussed already, but this post just made me wonder.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Tue May 31, 2022 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: hide members post
dontpanic
#relatable

kavat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:32 am I don't think there's any point in worrying, the tour is still months away. People need time to save up, make plans, take time off etc before they can get their tickets.

There's some unreasonable expectation to sell out within the first days because it sounds cool and creates hype, but if that happens it just means you booked too small venues.
also a lot of that "sell out in seconds" hype for big artists is totally manufactured anyway

insert old article that I read once but didn't re-read before posting so hopefully it's actually related https://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/ ... tin-bieber

instert way more up-to-date John Oliver video