Dan & Phil Part 102: crisis twinks

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

stupidbaby wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 am
Catallena wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:32 pm Well I'm relieved that it isn't going that badly for him, but it does seem like he needs to get on the promotion train this summer to get more seats filled. There's been advertisements spotted on public transport so perhaps the promotor is trying to appeal this show to an audience unfamiliar with Dan as well?

Anyway, AmazingPhil Member Post time! It's been a while.
I'm glad he took that last minute vacation and didn't overwork himself to get a video out right before like in the past. He's taking steps like that for his health and I'm proud of him because behavior like that is hard to unlearn.
hi 👋🏻
i have a genuine question since i haven’t been keeping up with dan or phil for the last year or so…but does phil do anything besides posting the occasional youtube video? and i see that he still offers a membership to his channel. do people not find it odd that he still gives people the option to pay him 6.99 a month for not a whole lot in return? i know people are free to do what they want with their own money, but it seems kinda..wrong? sorry if this has been discussed already, but this post just made me wonder.
welcome welcome! :)

i say this as a person who does not and has never paid for phil's membership: no, he doesn't. it is kind of odd.

these member posts, the (extremely) occasional shout-out video to members, and cute little cactus emojis is just about all that members get that the rest of the internet doesn't. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, folks!)

i would certainly pay if there was more to it.

that said, i think i'm mostly ok with memberships still existing as they do, because: a) nobody's being forced into it. if you don't want to pay, you don't have to. phil doesn't even really ask. and b) he's not really pricing fans out of content. everyone still gets to see what he makes.

the way i see these memberships is that it's sort of like a "tip" for his youtube videos (and other work i guess) or like a light patreon situation. you get some fun, kinda silly freebies if you want them, but nobody feels left out. and i can't really hate phil for making some extra cash if people are willing to pay it, ya know? who wouldn't?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

rizzo wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:17 pm
stupidbaby wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 am
Catallena wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:32 pm Well I'm relieved that it isn't going that badly for him, but it does seem like he needs to get on the promotion train this summer to get more seats filled. There's been advertisements spotted on public transport so perhaps the promotor is trying to appeal this show to an audience unfamiliar with Dan as well?

Anyway, AmazingPhil Member Post time! It's been a while.
I'm glad he took that last minute vacation and didn't overwork himself to get a video out right before like in the past. He's taking steps like that for his health and I'm proud of him because behavior like that is hard to unlearn.
hi 👋🏻
i have a genuine question since i haven’t been keeping up with dan or phil for the last year or so…but does phil do anything besides posting the occasional youtube video? and i see that he still offers a membership to his channel. do people not find it odd that he still gives people the option to pay him 6.99 a month for not a whole lot in return? i know people are free to do what they want with their own money, but it seems kinda..wrong? sorry if this has been discussed already, but this post just made me wonder.
welcome welcome! :)

i say this as a person who does not and has never paid for phil's membership: no, he doesn't. it is kind of odd.

these member posts, the (extremely) occasional shout-out video to members, and cute little cactus emojis is just about all that members get that the rest of the internet doesn't. (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, folks!)

i would certainly pay if there was more to it.

that said, i think i'm mostly ok with memberships still existing as they do, because: a) nobody's being forced into it. if you don't want to pay, you don't have to. phil doesn't even really ask. and b) he's not really pricing fans out of content. everyone still gets to see what he makes.

the way i see these memberships is that it's sort of like a "tip" for his youtube videos (and other work i guess) or like a light patreon situation. you get some fun, kinda silly freebies if you want them, but nobody feels left out. and i can't really hate phil for making some extra cash if people are willing to pay it, ya know? who wouldn't?
Patreon-lite is basically how I see it. I do pay for them, though I may be canceling soon because... well, I'm trying to save my money for my trip to see Dan, actually. But until now I've just sort of done a self-assessment every now and then to decide if it was still worth it to me and up until now it has been. I pay for other entertainment, other content I stream, and it fit into my budget so I didn't mind it. I can't say I've been under any impression that it was going to actually get me anything though, lol. It is good that, as rizzo said, he's not actually trying to sell it because I struggle to see how he could.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A somewhat generic tweet from Phil.

He better not start carrying the whole phandom on his back again. Howell, where are you?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
interruptfireworks
delia smith

hello, random question which may not seem relevant but is related to dan's tour and is out of pure curiosity. when it comes to stand up shows, do the comedians change up their jokes every stop? or every few stops? or at all? haha. because i was thinking about how dan is touring for quite a while (6 months i think it is... crazy) and also how some people are planning to go to multiple stops and if he's saying the exact same thing with probably the exact same delivery every time, wouldn't that be a bit tiring for both parties involved? i've never actually been to a stand up (or i guess multiple in this case) show in my life so i have no idea how the....... setlist ? works. i imagine saying the same jokes every night would be different to performing the same songs at a concert every night.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

DAN SAYS WE CAN BE GAY
and phil said no wait i'm gay too
dontpanic
#relatable

interruptfireworks wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:34 pm hello, random question which may not seem relevant but is related to dan's tour and is out of pure curiosity. when it comes to stand up shows, do the comedians change up their jokes every stop? or every few stops? or at all? haha. because i was thinking about how dan is touring for quite a while (6 months i think it is... crazy) and also how some people are planning to go to multiple stops and if he's saying the exact same thing with probably the exact same delivery every time, wouldn't that be a bit tiring for both parties involved? i've never actually been to a stand up (or i guess multiple in this case) show in my life so i have no idea how the....... setlist ? works. i imagine saying the same jokes every night would be different to performing the same songs at a concert every night.
no, there's a set. they change a few things sometimes to make it location dependant or if they want to do some light crowdwork, but I've seen a lot of comedians and unless they're working on new material they don't change it up significantly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Soooo... new video in the works? This is daring. (I mean, I'm 100% sure it isn't his actual phone number, but still daring.)
I tried to call a few times but it said it was unavailable the first couple and then said the phone was switched off.

I wonder if there will be some kind of phone spon tie in?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

We got some new Stories from Dan!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:32 pm
Phil is trending on Twitter for this, I never got it to work but having a good time seeing all the excitement 😂 Did he think we weren't going to break the phone?
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:32 pm
Aw he got the Rize experience, sweet memories <3
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I've seen some people on Twitter saying they've talked to Phil over the phone!
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
tinaoe
crusty sponge

ohh i'm very curious about this video now, could be cute! and how cool for those fans??
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

tbh I'm curious about what happened to the video he hinted at before Dan's sudden comeback video.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

Catallena wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:07 pm tbh I'm curious about what happened to the video he hinted at before Dan's sudden comeback video.
I think it’s the same video, just delayed by the last minute holiday? He mentioned the original one in a community post and said he’d “thought of a fun video idea which will also probably be a terrible mistake”. Tweeting out a phone number fits that description pretty well lol!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I want to be excited for this video but I also don't usually love Phil reacting to fan submitted things videos? Please prove me wrong buddy but things like the green screen video just felt ultra safe - the same format where he gets something risque, says "I'm gonna be demonetized for this!", awws a couple cute things, shows some gay memes, tells us this was a mistake, and then the video ends. I mean it's been enough weeks that I just want to see his face no matter what but I'm already let down by the fact that this isn't gonna be a good storytime video or something unique for him.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I saw someone post this on Twitter, but I can't find the tweet. Anyway, looks like Dan is going to be hosting some sort of quiz on June 9 for Attitude magazine:

https://attitude.co.uk/article/attitude ... ove/27171/

Here's the relevant bit:
Can you tell your 'daddies' from your 'doppelbangers?' We put LGBTQ stars and allies' queer knowledge to the test as they take on Attitude's LGBTQ Slang Challenge.

Putting themselves in the hotseat for Attitude Pride at Home are Olympic champion Tom Daley, pop icons Steps, Everybody's Talking About Jamie star Max Harwood and comedian Tom Allen.

Joining them will be internet sensation and author Dan Howell as well as model Pablo Hernandez. Scores on the doors? You'll find out from 9 June...
Edited to add: for some reason the original tweet I saw said Dan would be the host, but now that I'm reading the actual article, it doesn't say that. So maybe he'll just be in the quiz in some form.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

In case anyone missed it - PhandomGives is raising money for Young Minds this year! We're at 20% of the goal, which is a little lower than we'd normally be by this point.

When you donate, you're also entered to win one of the three prize packs that IRL donated! You can see what's in them here:

The 31 hour PhandomWatch livestream will also be next weekend. It'll start at one pm UTC (you can use a timezone converted to figure out what time that would be for you!) and last thirty one hours (plus a bonus afterparty hour). We'll have prizes all throughout the livestream too (including a signed YWGTTN and a japhan blossom poster signed by Dan and Phil!) both for people that can donate and also ones for people that are just there watching, sharing, and supporting us. I'll post again with more info about that closer to time.

But if you can donate, please do - Young Minds UK does a lot of good with normalizing mental health care and supporting struggling youth in schools. We consulted with IRL on what charity Dan would most like us to fundraise for, and this is the one they told us. It's exactly the kind of program Dan himself would have benefitted, so it's not a surprise that it's still close to his heart.

You can donate here!
shan
morning quiff

So it feels like whatever Phil's contract for Shorts was has finished right? They might not have been his best content but I think I'm still going to be sad they're gone. It was nice getting little snippets here and there while waiting for his next main channel upload. There were some real gems in there too; reviewing the beeps in their house, extra footage from their Japan trip, Phil video trivia where we found out there was almost a Phil peen reveal AND the two versions of pinof 5.

And I just liked seeing his face pop up sometimes during these longer gaps between uploads. I miss him.
kavat
pastel persona

They've both been so quiet lately, only the odd tweet and barely any interactions. I hope it's because they're busy doing things/being happy and not another bad health period.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I also suspect there is BTS going on. But we should have some sort of Dan appearance tomorrow with whatever this Attitude Magazine event is about. I keep waiting for Tom Daley to spon it so I can figure out what it's about :-)
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

shan wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:37 pm So it feels like whatever Phil's contract for Shorts was has finished right? They might not have been his best content but I think I'm still going to be sad they're gone. It was nice getting little snippets here and there while waiting for his next main channel upload. There were some real gems in there too; reviewing the beeps in their house, extra footage from their Japan trip, Phil video trivia where we found out there was almost a Phil peen reveal AND the two versions of pinof 5.

And I just liked seeing his face pop up sometimes during these longer gaps between uploads. I miss him.
Agreed- his first short was on 10/11/21, and his last one was 4/25/22, so I'm guessing it was a 6 month contract? And he made exactly 80 shorts in that period.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
literally_formless
butt chair

onceinaugust wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:02 pm
shan wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:37 pm So it feels like whatever Phil's contract for Shorts was has finished right? They might not have been his best content but I think I'm still going to be sad they're gone. It was nice getting little snippets here and there while waiting for his next main channel upload. There were some real gems in there too; reviewing the beeps in their house, extra footage from their Japan trip, Phil video trivia where we found out there was almost a Phil peen reveal AND the two versions of pinof 5.

Agreed- his first short was on 10/11/21, and his last one was 4/25/22, so I'm guessing it was a 6 month contract? And he made exactly 80 shorts in that period.
He will always do what a new platform contracts and no more, amazing :stan:

I wish any of them had gotten some viral momentum. I really liked the beep tour, of course, and the behind the scenes facts, but there was only one in more of a TikTok style, "If I was in Squid Game." I wonder what could happen if did more in that style. All the people on my feed who seem to be getting really big on Shorts are either cooking or are doing playing-all-the-characters skits (ironic, given the fact that this is what dnp have been doing for over 10 years .... just not in 1 minute).
kavat
pastel persona

literally_formless wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:08 pm
I wish any of them had gotten some viral momentum. I really liked the beep tour, of course, and the behind the scenes facts, but there was only one in more of a TikTok style, "If I was in Squid Game." I wonder what could happen if did more in that style. All the people on my feed who seem to be getting really big on Shorts are either cooking or are doing playing-all-the-characters skits (ironic, given the fact that this is what dnp have been doing for over 10 years .... just not in 1 minute).
I wonder how much money YT would have to pay for Dan to bring back Becky and Jessica for a short. Like there has to be a number.