Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SylvestyLesty
smol bean

First post on here and I'm probably gonna make some people mad, but here we go: let Phil take a break.

Seriously. Phil has talked extensively now about his physical and mental health, even if he doesn't do it in a way that's as high-profile as Dan. In Draw My Life Part 2, Phil talks about how he felt he literally had no life outside of work and how he wants some balance in his life. And who can blame him? Over the years, Phil has grinned and beared it through intense introspection on his relationships, dealing with sick family, chronic illness to the point where he's said he can't move, anxiety, and loads more than we're seeing. And through all that he has posted high-quality, regularly uploaded content.

I know you might be saying that if you don't like the new Phil content, don't watch it, and I agree. It's not for everyone.

But for years Dan has uploaded maybe a couple videos a year (I know DD was more regular, I'm talking about 2018-2022 here), said some excuse about mental health, and then dipped, all while still selling merch or doing projects to get money he's admitted he didn't care much about (Hometown Showdown, Gay and Not Proud, and YWGTTN-in a Stereo show, he literally admits he wrote it because the publishers came to him, and reading it you can tell it's slapped together. I'm sorry but it's true.) He's used his sexuality and mental health to excuse it, and everyone's been more than happy to let him take time off. Great.

So just extend the same courtesy to Phil? You don't have to love every video, but don't go around saying "Wow, he's so lazy these days. His new content sucks. Idk why he doesn't make videos like 2014/2015/whatever year I was most into DNP". Phil is allowed the same amount of respect you give Dan when he takes time for himself. Just because Phil isn't as vocal about it as Dan is doesn't mean he hasn't been talking about it and he doesn't deserve some time to himself, too.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

SylvestyLesty wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:03 pm First post on here and I'm probably gonna make some people mad, but here we go: let Phil take a break.

Seriously. Phil has talked extensively now about his physical and mental health, even if he doesn't do it in a way that's as high-profile as Dan. In Draw My Life Part 2, Phil talks about how he felt he literally had no life outside of work and how he wants some balance in his life. And who can blame him? Over the years, Phil has grinned and beared it through intense introspection on his relationships, dealing with sick family, chronic illness to the point where he's said he can't move, anxiety, and loads more than we're seeing. And through all that he has posted high-quality, regularly uploaded content.

I know you might be saying that if you don't like the new Phil content, don't watch it, and I agree. It's not for everyone.

But for years Dan has uploaded maybe a couple videos a year (I know DD was more regular, I'm talking about 2018-2022 here), said some excuse about mental health, and then dipped, all while still selling merch or doing projects to get money he's admitted he didn't care much about (Hometown Showdown, Gay and Not Proud, and YWGTTN-in a Stereo show, he literally admits he wrote it because the publishers came to him, and reading it you can tell it's slapped together. I'm sorry but it's true.) He's used his sexuality and mental health to excuse it, and everyone's been more than happy to let him take time off. Great.

So just extend the same courtesy to Phil? You don't have to love every video, but don't go around saying "Wow, he's so lazy these days. His new content sucks. Idk why he doesn't make videos like 2014/2015/whatever year I was most into DNP". Phil is allowed the same amount of respect you give Dan when he takes time for himself. Just because Phil isn't as vocal about it as Dan is doesn't mean he hasn't been talking about it and he doesn't deserve some time to himself, too.
Welcome to IDB!! :ribena:

The thing is Phil isn't telling us these videos are him taking a break. And he's not making excuses for the quality of his most recent content either. (Not that I think Dan's excuses give him a pass either). Phil's making and releasing videos for our eyeballs and my eyeballs... didn't enjoy it? :shrug:

TBF though, I am an equal-opportunity critic. I think a lot of us have shared negative opinions on Dan's content. For example... that 89% of it is screeching. So he doesn't get a break from commentary just because he's Dan.

I guess my point is that I don't give Dan any kind of courtesy I wouldn't also give Phil. Maybe there's more excitement for Dan's content, simply because he's released less of it, so the morsels we do get are ~special~. But Phil could do the same if he wanted to. Phil can disappear for a year if he wants/needs (and he.. mostly has). Phil can bow to YouTube's every waking desire. He's choosing to make a few extra bucks and post content. And as a frequent consumer of that content, I... have things to say about.

From my personal perspective, I don't need Phil to make 2014-style content. We've all grown a decade. Times have changed. But I would like Phil to get a bit more creative in front of us. He's done a LOT of hinting at himself getting more creative behind the scenes. Like... I feel like I've heard him say that on at least 5 different occasions at this point. And I know that writing/pitching is grueling work we won't always get to see, but... If he's gonna post videos - I'd like to see this exciting creativity being applied to them instead. Because that's what we're getting publicly and that's all we see.

Still love Phil though. He can absolutely do whatever he wants~
jmorton
butt chair

SylvestyLesty wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:03 pm First post on here and I'm probably gonna make some people mad, but here we go: let Phil take a break.

Hiding my reply as a spoiler because it is really long.
I think Phil's life update video last month answered the questions about "why" he doesn't release more videos anymore. It's mental health related to his physical issues (which I can't imagine having to deal with dizziness every day ... that has to be hell). I am quite disappointed in what he has chosen to release in the last couple years because it's incredibly bland for the most part ... aside from the AI video which had that classic, unsettling AmazingPhil vibe circa 2008 and it really seemed like it had a bit of creative spark to it as an idea, even though and AI wrote it. As someone who began watching Phil back in the weird, halcyon days of pre-Dan I do kind of miss the edge Phil used to have ... it is what it is though. His health is his biggest issue and I don't blame him at all for not putting up with the BS.

Dan: Coinciding with the radio show and the decision to flip the branding from Phil and Dan to Dan and Phil he became the dominant figure i their relationship/partnership. This was probably due to Dan being more marketable, relatable and ... unfortunately in the eyes of some "cuter" --which makes me cringe --(according to Dan himself he looks like a woodland animal). Cynical marketing is cynical marketing. It worked for their financial betterment but it also, probably, allowed Dan to "get away" with doing less and being a bit more bitchy about it. However, I will say when Dan was putting up his thousandth "Internet Support Group" video people were laying into him pretty hard and heavy. He got that criticism.

On the other hand Dan worked pretty damn hard in cultivating his audience and then being as relatable as possible to them and that unfortunately -- from my perspective -- kind of left Phil on a weird island where the only big views his videos got were when Dan was on. Once they separated the branding we've seen what has happened. Both of their channels have cratered in views but Phil got the worst of it. Those Stereo things are actually revealing amidst the banter. At a couple different points Phil mentions, then Dan mentions this Game Show that Phil wanted to do that he got rejected for. Behind the scenes I get the feeling Phil's probably got a bunch more of those rejections for his ideas (he also wanted to do a SciFi thing which would have been an intriguing idea). Can you imagine Phil getting to do a slapped together self help book, have a billboard in Times Square and get to go on a massive, multi-continent solo tour? From what it sounds like these opportunities came to Dan rather than Dan seeking them out.

Phil's been honest as hell about his health issues and to a MUCH lesser extent his lack of creative opportunities. He has put them out there. I can only speak for myself but I will gladly give him a break for that and understand that is why he doesn't upload more. However, I think being critical of what you DO produce is part of being a public figure. I like Phil far too much to not care enough to be critical. The guy started a youtube channel in 2006 with a black and white camera lol...if there is anyone out there who's like "just do it" it's Phil. I HOPE that version of Phil reemerges and I also hope he can overcome the dizziness that has crippled him the last couple years. Both can be true.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I’m glad to see some longer deeper discussions on here again! I’m here for it even though I don’t have that much to contribute.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
jmorton
butt chair

jmorton wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:34 pm

Hiding my reply as a spoiler because it is really long.
I think Phil's life update video last month answered the questions about "why" he doesn't release more videos anymore. It's mental health related to his physical issues (which I can't imagine having to deal with dizziness every day ... that has to be hell). I am quite disappointed in what he has chosen to release in the last couple years because it's incredibly bland for the most part ... aside from the AI video which had that classic, unsettling AmazingPhil vibe circa 2008 and it really seemed like it had a bit of creative spark to it as an idea, even though and AI wrote it. As someone who began watching Phil back in the weird, halcyon days of pre-Dan I do kind of miss the edge Phil used to have ... it is what it is though. His health is his biggest issue and I don't blame him at all for not putting up with the BS.

Dan: Coinciding with the radio show and the decision to flip the branding from Phil and Dan to Dan and Phil he became the dominant figure i their relationship/partnership. This was probably due to Dan being more marketable, relatable and ... unfortunately in the eyes of some "cuter" --which makes me cringe --(according to Dan himself he looks like a woodland animal). Cynical marketing is cynical marketing. It worked for their financial betterment but it also, probably, allowed Dan to "get away" with doing less and being a bit more bitchy about it. However, I will say when Dan was putting up his thousandth "Internet Support Group" video people were laying into him pretty hard and heavy. He got that criticism.

On the other hand Dan worked pretty damn hard in cultivating his audience and then being as relatable as possible to them and that unfortunately -- from my perspective -- kind of left Phil on a weird island where the only big views his videos got were when Dan was on. Once they separated the branding we've seen what has happened. Both of their channels have cratered in views but Phil got the worst of it. Those Stereo things are actually revealing amidst the banter. At a couple different points Phil mentions, then Dan mentions this Game Show that Phil wanted to do that he got rejected for. Behind the scenes I get the feeling Phil's probably got a bunch more of those rejections for his ideas (he also wanted to do a SciFi thing which would have been an intriguing idea). Can you imagine Phil getting to do a slapped together self help book, have a billboard in Times Square and get to go on a massive, multi-continent solo tour? From what it sounds like these opportunities came to Dan rather than Dan seeking them out.

Phil's been honest as hell about his health issues and to a MUCH lesser extent his lack of creative opportunities. He has put them out there. I can only speak for myself but I will gladly give him a break for that and understand that is why he doesn't upload more. However, I think being critical of what you DO produce is part of being a public figure. I like Phil far too much to not care enough to be critical. The guy started a youtube channel in 2006 with a black and white camera lol...if there is anyone out there who's like "just do it" it's Phil. I HOPE that version of Phil reemerges and I also hope he can overcome the dizziness that has crippled him the last couple years. Both can be true.
To piggyback on this from a few days ago: I do wonder, just on a human level, how Dan getting these enormous opportunities and Phil (from what we can tell) not getting anything close to this has affected their interpersonal relationship (coupled with the rejections that Phil has admitted he got). They seem to be at a really good place to be honest, and that would be a tribute to them and Phil in particular. I do know that one reason a lot of actor/actor/actress relationships end is because of a power dynamic that favors one spouse. Dan is undoubtedly the bigger celebrity here and Phil has been nothing but supportive. Obviously we don't know how much Phil's health issues have played a part in him kind being stuck in the YouTube sphere but the thought has crept into my mind.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Reminder that Dan also had a bunch of big projects fall through. We only know about that because of WIQY, and before that people were very confused and even angry about what he was up to and what he was planning. What I'm trying to say is that we have no idea what Phil has going on behind the scenes, how many projects he has pitched, if any of them were dropped along the way, if he's going to announce something next week. They are both creative and hard working people I don't doubt that they always have something cooking that we just have no clue about.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Haven't been good with posting these lately oops.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
000dia000
emo goose

This tiktok made me lose my shit, the two pictures are huge so I put it under the spoiler, their tiktok name is @baileyshews if you want to find it yourself

:cactus:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i have to admit i'm not sure i understand the game haha

Your ball needs to be the first one to follow the big ball ?

Also I need to hear Dan laugh like this every day <3
:gayaf:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

lol I love that Phil posts a random clip of a board game without any context. Social media is his job y'all. :lol:

But maybe he just wanted us to hear Dan's hyena laugh again :lilheart:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

000dia000 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:45 pm This TikTok made me lose my shit
(Me reading) Comments: 12-13 year old me is pissing and throwing up and crying and screaming!
Me: Dan and Phil weren't a thing when I was 13. :lol: :lol:
hellboyhowell
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

Hellooo I am trying to dip my toes into being back on IDB (not that I posted much on here but at least to lurk) as social media has been reeeally putting me through the wringer. (I was/am yonpote on socials, hi if you know me on those!) Anyway, onto the reply.
SylvestyLesty wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:03 pm ... or doing projects to get money he's admitted he didn't care much about (Hometown Showdown, Gay and Not Proud, and YWGTTN-in a Stereo show, he literally admits he wrote it because the publishers came to him, and reading it you can tell it's slapped together. I'm sorry but it's true.)
I basically agree with all of this original post, except for this point. Kinda. I DEFINITELY agree that Dan didn't want to do any of these projects initially, and that's pretty much emphasized in Why I Quit Youtube, but I think with YWGTTN in particular it feels a little unfair to call it slapped together. He said himself he didn't want to write a memoir or autobiography because he's "literally twelve" and his whole life is on Youtube, but he definitely put a lot of work into creating a mental health guide. I personally liked the bits where he explained biological reasons and signs you might feel anxious or stressed. Obviously it should never be used as a replacement for therapy, and maybe if you are going to therapy it's not the most necessary book in the world, but as someone who isn't in therapy for a variety of reasons, I found it actually helpful when I originally bought it for the name on the cover lol.

But yeah like I said, I agree with every other point on this post. I talked a bit on Twitter about how I reeeeally think Phil should hire an editor, but I feel like he and Dan have some trouble relinquishing some control over their video babies (which is also my theory on why the DD's haven't been uploaded yet, as Louise asked him to edit some bits and I'm sure that made him want to edit further so that it's perfect in his eyes). And like with DD and the other big stuff Dan has done, he had some help with editing and production, but I think that should extend to "regular" content as well. I mean, Dan edited the memes video by himself (and probably a lot of help from Phil) but if they had another editor it probably wouldn't have been delayed so much.
ArtyJim
glabella

Catching up on IDB just as Phil posts his Phan back in Japan insta post :rainbowtears: :garbage:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I was really not emotionally prepared. :rainbow: :cherryblossom:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I'm just sitting here trying to think of something to say about that photo, and I just can't. They've finally killed me.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

I'm not okay.

Is it that they both love japan so much they went back AGAIN ? Is it the way the both look so fantastic in the pics ? Is it the way Dan is looking at Phil ? Is it the fact that they went to Japan after Dan tour as a treat for both of them ? Is it because they are so married ?

Who knows!
:gayaf:
JLynne
drama llama

It's their engagement photos, obviously 😌
jmorton
butt chair

This is how weird my brain is. That photo of Dan looking at Phil my take away (other than it's extremely cute) is that you can really tell Phil has been working out. His shoulders are so broad now and his neck has thickened up. We rarely see full body Phil anymore and it's really a site to behold.
alienfreakbingo
delia smith

jmorton wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 4:21 pm This is how weird my brain is. That photo of Dan looking at Phil my take away (other than it's extremely cute) is that you can really tell Phil has been working out. His shoulders are so broad now and his neck has thickened up. We rarely see full body Phil anymore and it's really a site to behold.
Lmao glad it wasn't just me...

BUT ALSO AAAAA THESE PICS! HOW DAN IS LOOKING AT PHIL!!! JAPHAN 3! WILL WE SURVIVE? (rip in advance tbh)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

:rainbowtears: :rainbowtears: :rainbowtears: :rainbowtears: :rainbowtears: :rainbowtears:

That is all, thank you.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Between this, the shoe picture, and OnlyPhans, 2023 sure is a wild year. We never got a proper picture of them together from their trip to Japan in 2019 (just the instastory in the Final Fantasy café) so them sharing at least two with us is much appreciated.

And I think Phil might actually be evil for casually posting a photo where Dan is looking at him Like That.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

I cry.

SO SO LOVELY. I wonder with who are they? Who's taking the picture.

The first thing I thought was Hey buddy, are you in London?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Levitating wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:50 pm I cry.

SO SO LOVELY. I wonder with who are they? Who's taking the picture.

The first thing I thought was Hey buddy, are you in London?
They are with Bryony! She posted on instagram earlier today saying she's in Japan.
kavat
pastel persona

AAAAAAAA :rainbowtears:
I'm so excited for whatever they decide to share with us. I hope they have the BEST time and get to show Bryony all the things they love about Japan <3
Levitating
#relatable

I wonder whether Bryony is in a relationship or did they travel in 3? What are your best bets?

I saw on Tumblr someone mentioned they've been with Mimei and Duncan too. Wonder if they'll visit Felix!