Dan and Phil Part 103: we're all doomed!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A catch up on the previous thread of reactions to this video:

gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 pm I logged in for the first time in god knows how long to say i love Phil fucking Lester so fucking much. He's still all that and more.
LAshleigh wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:37 pm I cannot stop laughing at Phil making everyone look at the hot doctor's Facebook pictures. Bless this man.
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:44 pm
onemoresock wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:04 pm I’ll be honest, that video made me laugh so hard that I cried. The energy felt so classic dnp games, but with less screaming and more instances of Dan trying to break NDAs for fun.
I feel the same. I had to listen to it instead of watch on my way to the dentist because of course it came out right as I was leaving the house but also...I loved it. It felt like they made it for the phandom, like PINOF or some DNP games stuff. Not like the stuff dan makes now that has to be so grand it trends and reaches beyond his core audience (which is great art, I wouldn't give up BIG for the world) but like, it was nice to just have cozy DNP time.

Absolutely none of the tea surprised me EXCEPT a little bit Phil making out with a girl. But who hasn't had a night in our early 20s where we wandered around drunk til 3AM in a foreign city and made out with a stranger who put a cigarette in our mouth.

I want people's theories on which of the biggest things they did they were contractually obligated to do. I'm gonna guess the BAFTAs, except I don't know if they consider that a Big Thing They did.
Grey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm I loved it too. I found it very funny and I was relieved it wasn’t anything serious, honestly. Just silly but actually kind of scandalous too! (I was scandalized by the incident in the restaurant in Zurich :lol: )

I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:58 pm
Grey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
ohhhh that is an excellent point! I kinda forget about DAPGO because it was so minor in the scale of big stuff they do (though it is an excellent resource for fanfiction). I can't imagine they were required to sign an NDA about a 2 book deal though.

I so want to guess who the famous straight woman celebrity was, but maybe that's just too much of a sh*tshow of speculation. They have met a lot of high profile pop stars.
literally_formless wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:02 pm It's an interesting idea that the thing they didn't want to do is DAPGO. I can see them not wanting to sully its memory because they positioned it as something really for the fans, got that photographer to follow them around, did events for it, etc., that people feel so fondly about - Phil might really not want us to now start seeing as something they gritted their teeth through and endured.

I looked up how the deals for TABINOF and DAPGO were announced. They were announced over a year apart, but it's likely it was a two-book deal from the start. Their other best option at the time for a second book really would've been an emotional tell-all memoir, and we know they were never going to do that. Could've done a how-to book, but maybe the concept for that seemed too niche (not just people who love them, but people who love them and also want to .... be YouTubers? be English nerds? what else would their brand have been in 2016?).
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:29 pm I logged in for the first time in god knows how long to say i love Phil fucking Lester so fucking much. He's still all that and more.
But on top of everything else amazing about him, Phil going into full "business Phil" mode was a special gift to me for real

Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:09 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:58 pm
Grey wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:52 pm I wonder if Dan and Phil Go Outside might be the project they didn’t want to do? I have it haha. But it seems like kind of a low effort thing and if they had a contract from the first book, that might be how they were forced to do it?
ohhhh that is an excellent point! I kinda forget about DAPGO because it was so minor in the scale of big stuff they do (though it is an excellent resource for fanfiction). I can't imagine they were required to sign an NDA about a 2 book deal though.

I so want to guess who the famous straight woman celebrity was, but maybe that's just too much of a sh*tshow of speculation. They have met a lot of high profile pop stars.
The thing about DAPGO is that it meant they had to essentially do a social media embargo while on that leg of the tour, and it SUUUUUUUCKED. Like... they barely posted pictures. They saved all of that shit for the book instead of putting things on instagram.
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 pm
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
Seriously. It's like the last year of Danandphilgames - they were just fully out there, gaying it up, and it seemed so high key - and then some people watch that and take away the complete opposite like "oh they were still so closeted"

You know what this felt like? a much better version of that weird Couples Therapy thing the BBC had them do back in the day.
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:29 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:26 pm
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:06 pm Also I'm truly out of touch with the youth of today because with their every video I'm just like "these bitches gayer and gayer" meanwhile the twitter phandom is like "damn I guess it all proves they weren't a thing after all"
Seriously. It's like the last year of Danandphilgames - they were just fully out there, gaying it up, and it seemed so high key - and then some people watch that and take away the complete opposite.

You know what this felt like? a much better version of that weird Couples Therapy thing the BBC had them do back in the day.
It's not like I'd swear an affidavit that they are a couple but I guess I'm too much of an old gay for "gay men ostensibly in a relationship publicly thirst over other hotties" to register on my radar as an issue in any way lol
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:35 pm
gnostic wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:29 pm I'm too much of an old gay for "gay men ostensibly in a relationship publicly thirst over other hotties" to register on my radar as an issue in any way lol
Absolutely. Like... that's 90% of my gay couple friends, especially ones who have been a relationship for a long time, even some of my straight-ish friends. That's definitely me and my partner, especially if they're not someone reasonably attainable (doctor, celebrity).
shan wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:35 pm I loved it so, so, so much, that was everything I needed after an 8 month joint content drought. Phil is such a delight and just watching them banting again was everything I needed and more. If every 'episode' has a guest and it’s just Phil each time, I will genuinely be so happy. I love them.

Interesting insights about DAPGO, I wasn't around at the time but I love DAPGO and go back to it a lot. I can understand how that would've been frustrating for followers at the time though and can also see how it's maybe not something that would meet dnp's quality content standards, especially Dan's.
soveinco wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:05 am In terms of the project they were contractually forced to do, I think maybe it was the TATINOF documentary, "Dan and Phil's Story of TATINOF." While I love it and it's got some amazing moments, it's not very them in general: the talking heads segments, very generic editing with them saying lots of soundbites with a neat little narrative arc. It's just very...packaged. Maybe they wanted to do a deal with YouTube Red for them to film the show, but then YouTube was like, sure, but we're going to get a "two for the price of one" out of you, so they would have more to lock up on Red.

(Ngl, watching the documentary IS actually why I got YouTube premium, sooooo.... it worked on some people, at least!)

An NDA about contract terms with YouTube Red seems more likely than an NDA with a book publisher, to me. (This is mostly just a vibes-based guess, but idk).
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to video
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Once people have a chance to process, I need like a step by step breakdown of this video lol. I've watched it twice and still feel like it deserves a few more watches.
interruptfireworks
delia smith

i actually loved that video quite a bit. i've found this persona dan's been putting on very overwhelming and closed off recently (it's only sex jokes, being gay and depressed when before, at least i remember, there was more variation in content. his interviews also always seem the same but i know that's the case with lots of interviews because they're usually talking to different audiences but have to get the same point across to everyone.... if that makes sense. it all just seems so ironic considering it makes more sense more him to be a lot more 'free' after coming out). however, dan is definitely at his best when he's making videos with phil and that's clearly what everyone loves to see most.

i've seen people theorise about the contractually obligated joint project they didn't want to do as well as the female celebrities who wanted to have a threesome so i see the phandom remains the same. i've seen people think catrific but i don't think she'd be counted as a celebrity. through the searches on twitter i've also seen trisha paytas (i can see her as the person not caring about it being told), jameela jamil (doubt it but wow i can't believe they really used to work with her) and taylor swift (hilarious to imagine).

when they mentioned the floor plan stalkers i immediately thought of idb because if my memory serves me correctly, i feel like that theory of the 2 apartments has been discussed here? can't believe it was actually confirmed.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’m so glad my name suggestion didn’t win, thank frick. Anyway, just saw the video, well, an hour ago now. Loved it, though I was a smidge sad they didn’t go there, I thought they just might. Bloody hilarious in both confessions and bants. No one replied to Dan? How rude. I’d go on and talk late-realisation of neurodivergence, and show cat photos, the voids would fit right in. It’s sad to hear of things they didn’t want to do, both that they probably didn’t really enjoy it and that we did but didn’t realise.
nicky1388
spork

okay after reading opinions on the new video and watching it myself, i came up with why i think they don't actually "tell the truth" that we want to hear.

1) Phil is private. we've been told this multiple times now. i think this actually indicates that there is something to hide though?

2) i think Dan thinks that if they ever actually did tell the truth, everyone would stop watching. like, they'd be like "yep, they're a couple" or "damn, they strung us along how many years" and leave. i personally wouldn't but i bet there are a fair few people out there who tune in when they collab just to see weather or not something is actually shared.

the video itself was great. i love how their personas meld personally. and Phil feels more casual here somehow. like looser. idk. poor Dan though. i hope he was just playing up a schtick and that there are people that want to work with him. then again, i could believe that maybe he's a bit too brash and outspoken at this point for some people.

idk, i'm still excited for October and i have a meet and greet so.
A Rat Backwards
placenta

The perfectly-timed cutoff when Phil went "I came because I'm your-" was delicious.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

flarequake wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:25 am I’m so glad my name suggestion didn’t win, thank frick. Anyway, just saw the video, well, an hour ago now. Loved it, though I was a smidge sad they didn’t go there, I thought they just might. Bloody hilarious in both confessions and bants. No one replied to Dan? How rude. I’d go on and talk late-realisation of neurodivergence, and show cat photos, the voids would fit right in. It’s sad to hear of things they didn’t want to do, both that they probably didn’t really enjoy it and that we did but didn’t realise.
I had myself convinced that he wouldn’t clickbait, and that after how he didn’t feel authentic during II, that it actually made sense that he was going to confirm the relationship right before WAD. So that kind of hindered my enjoyment of the video and my desire to rewatch. I have been rewatching the instagram live every night though.

BTW, fellow thread name loser, late-diagnosed neurodivergent, cat lover here!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Quick post to say I loved the video - even if I'm still not sure to where I stand on this whole scripted vibe Dan has going on.

I was in team "they're not gonna confirm anything" but I actually liked this tea better than anything else! (I would be actually disappointed if they confirmed anything, not because it'd be the end of all this, but because they stood by their principles for so long, i wouldn't want them to regret)

NDA : DAPGO makes sense yes but it's also true that a NDA may not be required for a book deal ? Otherwise it would make total sense : a 2-book deal, they have to write a second one etc but why the NDA ?

Threesome : when he said that, Cat's face popped into my head, i want to unsee it

Also : idk why but why people think they were not / are not together because of the Prague story (i immediately assumed it was from before) and the "dan didn't want to live with phil anymore" ???

Handsome Doctor : that's the cutest, most "married" thing that happened! Imagine you're with someone for so long but they have a crush and you playfully mock them about their crush ? that's everything. It shows so much trust and fondness between the two. That's my favourite story that we got in the video !
:gayaf:
000dia000
emo goose

I'll be honest, I was so exhausted reading all the second flat theory here on IDB back in the day, but hats off to those who spotted it. You're tinhattery has been confirmed by the God's!! :tinfoil:

Also, I don't know how people think its Catriric? Sorry, but they were besties! It's probably some random American vlogger or like Emma Blackery 💀
:cactus:
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:28 am Also : idk why but why people think they were not / are not together because of the Prague story (i immediately assumed it was from before) and the "dan didn't want to live with phil anymore" ???
Phil was in Prague with (I assume) his uni friends in January of 2008, he uploaded 2 vlogs of the trip at the time. I would hazard a bet that this is the time he smoked and kissed a girl in Prague. I feel like this story and them saying they nearly didn't live together (which as we know could even just be back from the Manchester days) is just to help muddy the waters and make us question "wait, maybe they aren't together", which is clever of them, but I don't buy it.

ETA: I was also assuming the NDA would possibly be about one of their books.
nøx
spork

I loved this video! I don't find Dan cringe too often and these days I tend to come into his videos with no expectations so it's really easy to just go with the flow of whatever he wants to do :lol:

I hope he was playing up the lack of responses though, that must have been so demotivating!

Them thirsting over other people: is that not... normal?? My partner of 8 years and I do it all the time. We're watching Gilmore Girls rn and every time Max Medina is in an episode, he goes "oh your husband is here!" :shrug:

I don't really ever expect them to confirm their relationship (also, what is there to confirm anymore, really, than whether or not they have sex..) but I do wonder if doing so wouldn't set them free in some way. It seems like every time they want to spill some tea or share something else in a big way, there's always that sense of disappointment, that sense that their relationship is ultimately the only real topic of interest and everything else they want to do is a little subpar. But hey, milk that (golden) cashcow boys lol
Ataraxia25
flower crown

feenix wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:29 am
Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:28 am Also : idk why but why people think they were not / are not together because of the Prague story (i immediately assumed it was from before) and the "dan didn't want to live with phil anymore" ???
Phil was in Prague with (I assume) his uni friends in January of 2008, he uploaded 2 vlogs of the trip at the time. I would hazard a bet that this is the time he smoked and kissed a girl in Prague. I feel like this story and them saying they nearly didn't live together (which as we know could even just be back from the Manchester days) is just to help muddy the waters and make us question "wait, maybe they aren't together", which is clever of them, but I don't buy it.

Exactly!!!
And yes, about the muddy the waters part : Well from what i saw on twitter (and a bit on tumblr) it's working because some people believe it. I'm just personally very tired of this because I really don't think we'd be having these convos if they were a het couple!
:gayaf:
feenix
squish

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:03 am
feenix wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:29 am

Exactly!!!
And yes, about the muddy the waters part : Well from what i saw on twitter (and a bit on tumblr) it's working because some people believe it. I'm just personally very tired of this because I really don't think we'd be having these convos if they were a het couple!
Definitely agree with you there!! I really also think that if they weren't a couple it would surely be more beneficial to just outright say it? For Dan at least, who is apparently wanting to bang any gay in London, surely it's better to present as fully single to get the D? They aren't as mainstream and flooded with fans anymore who would be heartbroken, most of us who still follow them are adults now and would maybe be a little disappointed, but that's not a good enough reason anymore to keep it a secret if they aren't together. I just feel like the secrecy and deception points to there being *something* to reveal.

I think that, at this point, with how heavily clickbaity this video was, they are never going to reveal their relationship status. Which is fine, they are entitled to their privacy and entitled to use their relationship in any way they want, including clickbait, but they seemed to really make it clear now that no matter what, it's just between them.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Dan’s Homo Sapiens podcast is out. Already muddying the waters re Phil to save the hoohah sure to follow :roll:
koalaselfie
living flop

Coming out of hiding to say I'm in 2 minds about the video (sorry).

On the one hand, I want to re-watch it pronto. I loved the moments that Dan's persona/guard went down (usually when Phil said something funny or off the cuff and Dad couldn't help laughing), and the way Phil really didn't understand the premise of the game, just blurting out the tea :lol: (Also yes, Phil's shorts in the first half were .... distracting to say the least!!)

On the other hand, I'm really not sure about Dystopia Daily. I didn't like the first video (quite forgettable, and seemed mostly to be just exposition for the series). The set is gross (sorry but it is, and this is coming from somebody with a gothy apartment ;) ). The whole overacting thing on Dan's part is super cringe. Idk, it seems like he's trying to be more authentic by 'spilling the tea' and letting out all his closeted thoughts/feelings, which is awesome, but he's doing it in this strange, blown-up persona way, if that makes sense? Which seems like the direct antithesis to 'being authentic.'

Lastly, I can't decide if the clickbaity title is a genius and self-referential play (as Dan mentions their clickbaiting in the video itself) (also will lead to huge engagement in all likelihood); or simply a bit sad :( . They are totally within their right to uphold confidentiality and privacy, I'm not questioning that, but using your relationship (or not) as a bartering chip for so long (and for views) feels a bit off for me. Although I think I'm leaning more towards the "genius" interpretation of the title.

Well, whatever, off to rewatch!
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

I do still find it interesting that this one was edited by Dan and Phil and Levi, while the other one was just edited by Levi! What purpose did that have?
nøx
spork

I have to say as well, I'm with Dan on Animal Crossing
auroraaaaaa
not a first-time poster

has anyone got a summary of the podcast please? <3
shan
morning quiff

I was surprised the Animal Crossing thing was brought up actually since it seems pretty obvious from Phil's AC videos that he's not a huge fan either. Totally get him wanting to jump on that bandwagon though, it was everywhere at the time (which I loved and makes me feel weirdly nostalgic for early 2020 lockdowns??).
Yawn
smol bean

I cannot believe that the second flat tinhatters were actually dead right. So funny. Yet another conspiracy from this fandom that ended up being completely correct.

It's the most Dan & Phil thing ever that a video supposedly about spilling tea actually just created a number of new things for people to speculate about. Who were the female celebrities? When was Phil's Prague moment? What was the contractual obligation they didn't want to do? And of course the endless 'are they still together' fights.
My wild speculation:

1. Catrific maybe for the off the grid girl (who knows honestly they've met so many people)
2. When they were on the I.I tour
3. DAPGO

Also, for the people that care about whether they're together, I did notice a direct relationship status denial from Dan in the new Homo Sapiens podcast episode. So have fun with that I guess
Grey
lady door

shan wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:43 am I was surprised the Animal Crossing thing was brought up actually since it seems pretty obvious from Phil's AC videos that he's not a huge fan either. Totally get him wanting to jump on that bandwagon though, it was everywhere at the time (which I loved and makes me feel weirdly nostalgic for early 2020 lockdowns??).
Same! I’m surprised Dan didn’t mention that as Phil’s the one who actually made videos of it haha. Phil’s a lying liars who lies…
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LAshleigh wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:34 am I do still find it interesting that this one was edited by Dan and Phil and Levi, while the other one was just edited by Levi! What purpose did that have?
My guess is that after Dan sprung that concept on him, Phil demanded veto rights for anything he truly wasn’t comfortable going up on the Internet.
feenix
squish

Yawn wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:52 am Also, for the people that care about whether they're together, I did notice a direct relationship status denial from Dan in the new Homo Sapiens podcast episode. So have fun with that I guess
I've just listened to this and for anyone else interested, it's in Part 1 of the podcast at 24:25.

Chris: "Am I right in saying you were in a relationship when you came out?"
Dan: "Ummmmm no"

What do we think, gang? My first reaction was "bloody hell I can't believe he straight up said no", and my second reaction was that he thought this was a safe space probs and panicked because he's not exactly gonna say yes in that situation, is he? And it would be 1000% more sus if he'd have gone into panic mode and said "um er um well I'm private I don't talk about my relationship status", especially when the rest of the podcast he talks about how honest and open he feels since coming out...

Once again daniel is giving me a headache (I wouldn't have it any other way though hahaha)
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

feenix wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:23 pm
Yawn wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:52 am Also, for the people that care about whether they're together, I did notice a direct relationship status denial from Dan in the new Homo Sapiens podcast episode. So have fun with that I guess
I've just listened to this and for anyone else interested, it's in Part 1 of the podcast at 24:25.

Chris: "Am I right in saying you were in a relationship when you came out?"
Dan: "Ummmmm no"

What do we think, gang? My first reaction was "bloody hell I can't believe he straight up said no", and my second reaction was that he thought this was a safe space probs and panicked because he's not exactly gonna say yes in that situation, is he? And it would be 1000% more sus if he'd have gone into panic mode and said "um er um well I'm private I don't talk about my relationship status", especially when the rest of the podcast he talks about how honest and open he feels since coming out...

Once again daniel is giving me a headache (I wouldn't have it any other way though hahaha)
My thoughts after listening to the couple minutes before and after are that he wasn't saying "no I wasn't in a relationship" but "no I wasn't in a relationship that 1) meant I was out to everyone in my private life 2) meant I had fully accepted myself as gay"

I didn't listen to the whole rest of the podcast yet, but it seemed to me like the host was saying "well you were in a relationship, so you were kind of out right?" and Dan was saying no to that. Totally see why people would think something else, though.