Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

While Dan and Phil enjoy their little January pajama week tradition, they were mentioned by PJ on his stream.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
troyiesivanie
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

I keep thinking about that one livestream where he says “ask me about that one week in March” my memory is failing me but he did do a livestream during that week right? And people thought he was drunk or high or something? Does anyone remember the exact livestream, I’ve been trying to find it but having no luck
Malia
not a first-time poster

troyiesivanie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:59 pm I keep thinking about that one livestream where he says “ask me about that one week in March” my memory is failing me but he did do a livestream during that week right? And people thought he was drunk or high or something? Does anyone remember the exact livestream, I’ve been trying to find it but having no luck
Was that when he ran out of his meds and was spiralling a bit?

I could only find the video of him discussing it after the fact, not the actual livestream he first mentions it in:

Also, hi everyone!
phancon
delia smith

So when do we think they'll be back this year? I've seen some people convinced that the "15 days" Dan mentioned in their last video of gamingmas was a promise that they'll be back on the 8th. How realistic is that? 'cause I thought they usually take the majority (all?) of January off.
howadorableright
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

phancon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:22 am So when do we think they'll be back this year? I've seen some people convinced that the "15 days" Dan mentioned in their last video of gamingmas was a promise that they'll be back on the 8th. How realistic is that? 'cause I thought they usually take the majority (all?) of January off.
i'm wondering the same thing, i'm already tired of the drought (two weeks, i need to chill lmao)

i'm hoping that he really did mean 15 days, although i would be shocked, but to keep the comeback of their channel steady i would imagine that taking a month off could do some algorithm damage

so selfishly i'm hoping sooner than usual!!
back back back back again
ushankaSEmo
smol bean

Malia wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:28 am
troyiesivanie wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:59 pm I keep thinking about that one livestream where he says “ask me about that one week in March” my memory is failing me but he did do a livestream during that week right? And people thought he was drunk or high or something? Does anyone remember the exact livestream, I’ve been trying to find it but having no luck

I could only find the video of him discussing it after the fact, not the actual livestream he first mentions it in:

Also, hi everyone!
I thought he referenced it in the 2017 "Top Dan 10 Memes of the Year" under the depression segment, but I guess not. It's weird; I swear it was in there! also happy new year all!
troyiesivanie
tol bean

howadorableright wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:27 pm
phancon wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:22 am So when do we think they'll be back this year? I've seen some people convinced that the "15 days" Dan mentioned in their last video of gamingmas was a promise that they'll be back on the 8th. How realistic is that? 'cause I thought they usually take the majority (all?) of January off.
i'm wondering the same thing, i'm already tired of the drought (two weeks, i need to chill lmao)

i'm hoping that he really did mean 15 days, although i would be shocked, but to keep the comeback of their channel steady i would imagine that taking a month off could do some algorithm damage

so selfishly i'm hoping sooner than usual!!
Someone on Twitter mentioned the earliest they’d come back after gamingmas in the past was the 18th of jan - classic pajama week
anathema
morning quiff

Since they're offline right now I'm entertaining myself by poking around on the Wayback Machine lol. I'm wondering, does anyone know if this twitter account https://twitter.com/notamazingphii was Phil? And if it is, why does anyone know why he had it?

You can see here https://web.archive.org/web/20091103173 ... snotonfire that Dan was following it in November 2009 (second-to-last account that you can see him following before it says view all). The account profile picture is the same as Phil's twitter pfp around that time (which you can see here https://web.archive.org/web/20090630203 ... /PhilsLion, Phil is the only account that the Lion twitter was following. I couldn't get Phil's profile pic to load on the archive page of his actual twitter LOL).

The account that NOTAmazingPhil was tweeting at does still exist, but I don't think that the tweet he was replying to does. At least not that I can see. Dan no longer follows the account, but it does still follow him. It also follows Martyn, Charlie's old account, and Bryony among others.

There's a high possibility that it's a fan account but it also seemed like it could be Phil :shrug: Especially since it's following Martyn, like how many fans did Phil have in 2009 that were following his brother?
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
jmorton
butt chair

Was watching some of their Gamingmas videos and this moment from 3:25 of the last Golf with Friends video stood out to me:

Dan was sassing Phil about "spicy volcano"...check out the look Phil gives Dan when he says "A dormant one!" Their editor cut away right as Phil was following it up but I don't think I've ever seen Phil be that stern with Dan before. I feel this is stuff prior to the comeback that we would not have seen.
Grey
lady door

My (possibly unrealistic/ hopeful) prediction is they will come back next week. I think it’ll be a bit earlier than they have in the past because the gaming channel is still just beginning to recover from The Hiatus.
I'm having a stress.
ushankaSEmo
smol bean

https://youtu.be/DnurpotIzpI?si=N1nj03f2CU2p0M92

I'd love to hear people's opinions about this video. I thought it was fine, I guess, because I'm so deep in the phandom. I'm highly sensitive about non-phans discussing it. But I think this video is targeted more towards past fans or those uneducated about the phandom. I did enjoy the portion revolving around the sensationalization of their relationship, but my only qualm is the iceberg format. I personally think it's rather repetitive; it wasn't an iceberg but more like SparkNotes of the phandom's creepy moments, which should be highlighted and chastised.

It did make me appreciative of the current phandom that's mostly adults with basic human empathy. Most of us won't go on tirades against random women for being friends with DnP; it feels a lot more communal and less factional now in the Phandom. Anyways, good day to all.

:rainbowtears:
Maybeyes
smol bean

Thought the thing about fanfic was a bit meh… as someone who didn’t know about the “phandom” until 2018, I think I actually heard about fanfic from Dan and Phil. Because they made fun of it and said that they didn’t really care, as far as I remember. So I always think it’s funny when someone who doesn’t read fanfic, talks about how bad it is.
To me it seems different to for example One Direction, who always seemed like they hated it.

But I thought the part about Catrific was really good. Because I had the same thoughts about the replies to her comment on Dans most recent insta post. I always assumed that the people who used to write horrible things about her were 13 year olds with no concept of adult friendships/relationships. But the things people replied to her now are still awful. I would never say something like that to someone I don’t like, let alone someone who hasn’t done anything wrong.
It must be so embarrassing /uncomfortable to see your fan base react like that:(
Malia
not a first-time poster

ushankaSEmo wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:24 am
Malia wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:28 am

Also, hi everyone!
I thought he referenced it in the 2017 "Top Dan 10 Memes of the Year" under the depression segment, but I guess not. It's weird; I swear it was in there! also happy new year all!
No, you are right, at around 3:45 and then 18:54 in the 2017 Top Memes he brings it up as well.

000dia000
emo goose

ushankaSEmo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:45 pm https://youtu.be/DnurpotIzpI?si=N1nj03f2CU2p0M92

I'd love to hear people's opinions about this video. I thought it was fine, I guess, because I'm so deep in the phandom. I'm highly sensitive about non-phans discussing it. But I think this video is targeted more towards past fans or those uneducated about the phandom. I did enjoy the portion revolving around the sensationalization of their relationship, but my only qualm is the iceberg format. I personally think it's rather repetitive; it wasn't an iceberg but more like SparkNotes of the phandom's creepy moments, which should be highlighted and chastised.

It did make me appreciative of the current phandom that's mostly adults with basic human empathy. Most of us won't go on tirades against random women for being friends with DnP; it feels a lot more communal and less factional now in the Phandom. Anyways, good day to all.

:rainbowtears:
SparkNotes is the best way to describe the video, but at the same time it was reasonably researched for the topic of how the phandom was intense and obsessive over their relationship and their private lives. It also helped that she actually used to be in the phandom as a non-shipper, which is far better than content creators who never watched them and assume a "holier-than-thou" attitude with nothing actually interesting to say. In a way, I respect how uncle herman never slipped into shipping, as 90 percent of fan content at Dan & Phil's peak was centered about it. It was probably impossible for any fan, even casual, to not be aware of the shipping. Even if you did not wish to engage with it, you would still probably come up with some opinion about their relationship eventually. As was just the nature of the phandom, that it was normalized.

If there is one aspect of the phandom speculation that is lost to time, it is the sort of defensive attitude earlier fans assumed when Dan and Phil tried to push back against them being together/gay when they had initially had a flirty behaviour online and identified as bisexual. If that set the tone, then people curating "evidence" was a sort of backlash against them denying everything. So, while the speculation and evidence gathering is problematic and definitely impacted Dan&Phil's anxieties, it did not come from nowhere. Some people now make comments on the phandom as if shippers simply clocked two gay men - no, they had already came out. Gay fans didn't like to feel lied to. I think this sort of sentiment did set a precedent and when shippers became loud then this outrage was sort of lost into the general undercurrent of the shipping and was assumed as purely demanding when it went a lot deeper than that.

It would be interesting to watch an even longer video essay with more in-depth things, and I imagine there are people here that would be experts in something like that. However, the Streisand effect and all that. The creator only alluded to the daily naked booth pictures for that reason. Some things are better not spoken about and it's easier talking about the negative aspects of the fandom, rather than what allured shippers, or the particular choke-hold Dan and Phil held over Vlogging conventions and events from 2013-2018. They were really those bitches, and so many YouTubers would shade them or phans out of jealousy (can't be helped). I think a lot of their impact has been lost, in particular for online content creation and some red carpet celebrity interviews and videos. They had a wacky style and helped make celebrities do weird games that made them more "relatable". I think a lot of work they did set a precedent for events being platformed on social media. Even being a fan of them was a sort of stepping stone for a lot of people into other fandoms, whether it be emo music, anime or kpop, especially BTS. I'm sure people here can sort of articulate this aspect a lot better, the crossover of mediums within the phandom.
:cactus:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Thank you 000dia000 for this interesting information! I wasn’t around until 2016.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil's first sign of life of 2024 was RT'ing this:
Does this mean Pajama Week* is over?

*never actually a week much like phil's birthday is never one day
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
DDiddy+
not a first-time poster

Dan also has shown a sign of living!! excited to see both of them again
Last edited by Catallena on Mon Jan 15, 2024 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: fixed embed, make sure you use twitter links since x ones don't work
amazing
crusty sponge

starting off the year strong on the amazingphil channel! the wdapteo truthers are inspiration to never give up on your dreams
quiff quonnoisseur
Note
dank meme
Pronouns: he/him

Every time they reveal more of their house, my immediate reaction is "Oh... oh no..." That abandoned fish tank really complements the fake ivy feature wall lmao.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Nothing hits quite like that first shot of DnP branded serotonin of the year :stan: <3
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
parttimehomo
not a first-time poster

lurker, poster, etc.
i've been rewatching the other wdapteos over the pajama week hiatus so getting the 2023 vid was extra nice to see. i love how often they send each other nonsense words and how little they bother explaining what they were talking about (that sounds sarcastic but I mean it). i can't believe they had a draft of the dapg lives vid that included dan in cunty heels and they didn't go with that. i love seeing him slay
jmorton
butt chair

This was kind of a meh for me other than Dan shower texting to Phil because he burned himself in the shower. Oh and their secret language always seems to be some variation of getting food or saying hi. Lol
littleflowers
placenta

I thought it was cute, nothing too special, no big standout moments for me like some years have had, but about what I’d expect for two people who have spent so much time together for so long. It may have benefitted from being the first dnp vid after the post gamingmas drought in that I was probably bound to feel fondly toward it/them. I liked the pictures Dan sent while he was on tour (my memory is not good enough to know if we’ve seen any of them before, but if so I enjoyed them like they were new lol).
Also imo they both looked really good. I’m officially a phringe apologist.
literally_formless
butt chair

parttimehomo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:46 am lurker, poster, etc.
i've been rewatching the other wdapteos over the pajama week hiatus so getting the 2023 vid was extra nice to see. i love how often they send each other nonsense words and how little they bother explaining what they were talking about (that sounds sarcastic but I mean it). i can't believe they had a draft of the dapg lives vid that included dan in cunty heels and they didn't go with that. i love seeing him slay
I was intrigued by that too! When Dan was promoting the tour he went on the Square Mile podcast and he said mostly the same stuff he always says, but he also said some stuff about his process, and how he drafts a lot and then Phil deletes 90% of it. That's really stuck with me. I mean, I guess that process has been working for them for the most part since 2009, but also, what would Dan unleashed be???
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really enjoyed that video - more than last year tbh. I like the silliness of it, I like the very warm and affectionate vibe between them. The coffee shop thing was super cute, especially since I saw on twitter/tumblr that it's actually a super common chain so the chances they both ended up there are not that wild... but they were SO excited about it.