Dan & Phil Part 10: Moist Sloppy Niagara Fun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Poe wrote: alittledizzy that's the same feeling I got from it. They were really relaxed and casual in this liveshow but there was quite a bit of lingering tension between them from the start. I guess that this is what happens when they spend every single minute 24/7 with each other
I think for me it didn't seem like lingering tension, just momentary tension. It's the kind of momentary situation like when you're in public and someone says something you might disagree with if it was just the two of you and you could talk about it but since you're in front of other people you have to bite your tongue but you don't quite conceal the expression in time. In other words, not the really bad kind of tension, just a realistic side effect to being around someone you know well enough to not normally censor yourself with. I think in a couple of those moments had they not been on camera they'd have just bickered it out for a minute and moved on.
akui wrote:However i have to say the no homo was strong on this show, not only they deliberately showed us the two beds, but also they brought up the tourbus bedroom again?! Christ.
Wow, I did not get the no homo at all. The tour bus bedroom situation seemed like Phil realizing someone asked the question and being afraid Dan would answer it so he just wanted to make sure they threw the one singular statement they're willing to make on it out there and move on.

And as far as the bed thing, yeah, if they knew they were filming I am not the tiniest bit surprised they have double beds. But I found it far more interesting that after years of suites/separate bedroom blatant reminders at conventions they had no issue showing us that they were definitely staying in the same room. Japan set that precedent and they've carried it on. This is their tour, they're making bank. Dan spends $500 on a shirt, he'd get his own hotel room if he wanted to. He didn't want to, and they're comfortable with us knowing that much. That's sustained progress to me, not a no-homo.

I got comfortable, compatible, #married vibes from them this liveshow - so far from no homo that it feels weird to see someone even say that.
DryCereal
koi pond

Couldn't have put it better dizzy Long may the "comfortable, happy and relaxed, not really stating much of anything" period last. :thumb:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Philena
blobfish

Ditto the two above me! I got perfect, lovely vibes from the two of them.
shikaritrash
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Seems like most of us weren't available last night to watch the liveshow annnnnd I wasn't either. Believe me I would have liked it better to watch that liveshow compared to being in a club with shitty music. :lol: hashtag bad timing.

Anyway, I just watched it and I missed the liveshows so muuuch, I'm glad they finally did one yesterday. The re-enacting memes part was my favourite it was so so cute I think joint liveshows are my fave and I actually enjoy Phil in them because usually I don't really like his ls. He was so relaxed it was a pleasure to see.

I didn't get the no homo vibe at all, they just seemed really relaxed (except maybe for the bed part :lol: ) and they just were all round adorbs!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ dan senses tingling 24/7 soz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
starlight-still
truth bomb

Just going to cut to the chase: re-watched on phanshows (still a bit choppy but, given the circumstances, hey), fav moments below.
- Phil sounding more Northern than usual (did anyone else hear that?) at certain parts, like when he was talking about having an eleven song album, the way he said “everything”
- Phil’s googly eyes (I don’t know how else to describe it- not the love eyes thing just how he looks in general when he’s not talking)…like, that’s just his face? But I’d forgotten
- Them talking up Louise in the Obama Llama video good friends
- The way they gently kept each other on track…like when Phil was like “find that person’s name” who asked about Lemonade and pointed at Dan to answer the copper question…and Dan reigning Phil in a bit like explaining the YouTuber Summit and giving shorter answers to the PM questions.
- Dan calling Phil a “clumsy little beast”
- Dan being like, “You’ve listened to it [Drake/Beyonce] a lot because I have”
- How distracted Phil is in general and Dan’s reaction when he keeps getting interrupted when trying to waffle on about one topic as usual (this is where I see the slight tension that a few people have mentioned)
- When Dan was like “You’re such a d- [ork?]” but cut himself off when Phil kept saying “Yas."
- Their little moment of silence and awe when talking about the Niagara experience.
- Phil not being able to pronounce Des Moines and trying every incorrect variation. It’s “Deh Moy-n” in case you’re still wondering Phil
- We already talked about it but the sign-off combining both their ls styles. Actually, the whole thing combining their styles. I finally see the “their the same person” thing from the way they were here- they kinda started out in their own [p-word] corners but gradually merged until they were…well, basically the same person.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Of course they have a joint liveshow at six in the morning when I'm away at a camp ... :roll:

It was a lovely liveshow. Super relaxed and happy, which made me happy even though playback was so laggy. :( Everybody else has already said what I would have said. I also agree with dizzy; the fact that they are willing to let us know that they're sharing a room when they could obviously have got two rooms if they wanted speaks volumes, and I am glad they feel they can be this relatively open with their viewers. :platonic:

I'm with Phil; I had no idea how to pronounce Des Moines either. I've just never heard anyone say it out loud, but I like to think I would have made a better guess than he did! :D

i apologise for such a sloppily worded post; it's past midnight and i'm dead tired
Philena
blobfish

mysterylovescompany wrote: I'm with Phil; I had no idea how to pronounce Des Moines either. I've just never heard anyone say it out loud, but I like to think I would have made a better guess than he did! :D

i apologise for such a sloppily worded post; it's past midnight and i'm dead tired
We pronounce it like a French/American hybrid: Du Moynn
smarties
glabella

What a nice morning waking up to a liveshow :D .....that I've watched in the afternoon anyway cos of work.... :x

I think that somebody else already pointed out the bedroom fight comment, but it was hilarious for me...especially cos Phil said "I said I got the room with the tv" and not just "I got the room with the tv".
And Dan's precious face is like "I've had enough of this shit"

here's the link to the specific moment...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpO6Vn_fNoQ#t=25m33s
taetaewl
glabella

So about the subtle or not so subtle way of showing their room with two beds in it… do you reckon they planned it like:
Dan: “I will act like I don’t like how my face look in this angle while touching my hair a lot and you can move out of the screen so I can caught the beds in on shot while pretending to look pretty”
Phil: “ok!”… “maybe I can show them our new candle-“
Dan: “no”

I have no doubt I my mind Dan is reading IDB, why would they else do a YN at the same time as we started to discuess it? 8-) 8-) ;) Lmao
I have still not finished watching it, can't stand the lag but hey what can one do when being a trash? T__T
DryCereal
koi pond

I'm used to missing their liveshows "live" and having to catch up, so this one felt normal, apart from the monumental lag in places! ;) Stuff that though, I'm just happy we got one, and a joint one, and they were happy/relaxed/frickin zazzed.
Philena wrote:
mysterylovescompany wrote: I'm with Phil; I had no idea how to pronounce Des Moines either. I've just never heard anyone say it out loud, but I like to think I would have made a better guess than he did! :D

"..." :?
Poe
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote:
Poe wrote: alittledizzy that's the same feeling I got from it. They were really relaxed and casual in this liveshow but there was quite a bit of lingering tension between them from the start. I guess that this is what happens when they spend every single minute 24/7 with each other
I think for me it didn't seem like lingering tension, just momentary tension. It's the kind of momentary situation like when you're in public and someone says something you might disagree with if it was just the two of you and you could talk about it but since you're in front of other people you have to bite your tongue but you don't quite conceal the expression in time. In other words, not the really bad kind of tension, just a realistic side effect to being around someone you know well enough to not normally censor yourself with. I think in a couple of those moments had they not been on camera they'd have just bickered it out for a minute and moved on.
akui wrote:However i have to say the no homo was strong on this show, not only they deliberately showed us the two beds, but also they brought up the tourbus bedroom again?! Christ.
Wow, I did not get the no homo at all. The tour bus bedroom situation seemed like Phil realizing someone asked the question and being afraid Dan would answer it so he just wanted to make sure they threw the one singular statement they're willing to make on it out there and move on.

And as far as the bed thing, yeah, if they knew they were filming I am not the tiniest bit surprised they have double beds. But I found it far more interesting that after years of suites/separate bedroom blatant reminders at conventions they had no issue showing us that they were definitely staying in the same room. Japan set that precedent and they've carried it on. This is their tour, they're making bank. Dan spends $500 on a shirt, he'd get his own hotel room if he wanted to. He didn't want to, and they're comfortable with us knowing that much. That's sustained progress to me, not a no-homo.

I got comfortable, compatible, #married vibes from them this liveshow - so far from no homo that it feels weird to see someone even say that.
Hmm well looking at it this way, I can see where you're coming from and now that I rewatched it in a more calmer way and without so much lag as last night, I can see that the tension was just in some situations not all of them. I think the impression the ls left me with last night was because I missed the first 30 minutes or so of it due to lag and the first thing I saw was a done looking Dan and a Phil talking about spilling milkshake everywhere. Now I feel more like it was a quite ~domestic~ ls.

Anyway here are some of my favorite moments:
-When Dan switched sides and everything was suddenly in order
-Dan's "flop" intro
-How excited Phil seemed for this liveshow
-Phil's "this guy" comment
-How highly they speak of Louise (good friends those two )
-Dan saying how he is quite warm and Phil is "moon-esc". (It reminded me a lot of a thing I read on tumblr where the op said that the common view of space/moon!Dan and sun!Phil didn't feel right for them and that it should be the other way around because of their features and personalities. Seems like Dan thinks of it like that too)
-That they decided together who gets what game. (At this point I really started getting that domestic vibe you guys were talking about)
-not exactly a "moment" but I was happy that they didn't feel homesick and tired or worn down because of the tour and are having fun
-"Clumsy little beast"
-How defensive Phil got about the fart rumor
- ~opinions~ from both of them
-The reactions they had when they were reported for nudity
-Jackscepticeye was nice, they approve of him (hope the friendship will blossom)
-Phil's dad joke and "ayyyy-s"
-the Toronto talk
-"it was peng" "Dannn"
-when Phil switched off the lamp and then Dan switched it back on
-the combined outro
-"obviously"
-How in sync they were.
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

That live show was so sweet! I loved the part where they were talking about the yas cat and the jealous woman, it felt like a conversation id have with my friends. The photo of Phil with his head tilted back is surprising cute, he clearly has no bad angles.

[offtopic]ive been on a YT binge and Onisions obsession with is mildly disturbing.[/offtopic]
Philena
blobfish

IckleMissMayhem wrote:I'm used to missing their liveshows "live" and having to catch up, so this one felt normal, apart from the monumental lag in places! ;) Stuff that though, I'm just happy we got one, and a joint one, and they were happy/relaxed/frickin zazzed.
Philena wrote:

Were you confused by my phonetic spelling? I haven't taken linguistics in years!

duh MOYN, emphasis on second syllable, specifically the final "n" consonant
bee
phabergé

As for tension, I think it´s often at the beginning of joint liveshows, I noticed it with the october one in 2015 as well. At first they talk at the same time a lot and seem not very ´in sync´and a little weird. But I think too that it´s because they have to switch to being watched and watching themselves at the same time.

It would tire me to no end to be watched by so many people so much of the time and having to be aware of that (even on the street). I have no idea how they handle it. I am very glad I'm not famous
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Philena wrote:
IckleMissMayhem wrote:I'm used to missing their liveshows "live" and having to catch up, so this one felt normal, apart from the monumental lag in places! ;) Stuff that though, I'm just happy we got one, and a joint one, and they were happy/relaxed/frickin zazzed.
Philena wrote:

Were you confused by my phonetic spelling? I haven't taken linguistics in years!

I've never heard anybody pronounce Des Moines irl either, but for me it's a bit strange to "engli-fy" french words? I believe it'd be pronounced like "də mwan". It happens with Los Angeles as well.
DryCereal
koi pond

Ticia wrote:
Philena wrote:
Philena wrote:

I've never heard anybody pronounce Des Moines irl either, but for me it's a bit strange to "engli-fy" french words? I believe it'd be pronounced like "də mwan". It happens with Los Angeles as well.
I don't think Phil did too badly considering! I was assuming full-french, hence the side-eye. But hey-ho. It's not like the UK doesn't have ridiculous place name pronunciations! ;)
Prepare ye all for them announcing the EU/RoW tour (always assuming...) and the pronunciations for that. It's going to make your ears bleed.
Last edited by DryCereal on Sat May 14, 2016 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philena
blobfish

Some off topic language ramblings...

[offtopic]Well, yes, but that happens all the time in both American and British English. The foreign words are borrowed, and the pronunciation is either Anglicized or the correct pronunciation is attempted (or bastardized) and gets skewed over time. In British English, think of the Anglicized pronunciation of garage, fillet, valet, etc. America does this quite often with geographic features. I currently live in Ohio, and there is a town here called Rio Grande that is pronounced Rye Oh Grand. Or, what about Baton Rouge, LA? Spanish pronunciation is usually much better in the SW, of course![/offtopic]
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

I'd love if someone would give me a timestamp for the peng moment.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

fancybum
senpai

Ooh I just want to drive-by comment and say that I realized why the 'Dan edited Phil's vid' thing stood out to me so much. It's not exactly news that they've got their fingers all up in each other's business when it comes to shooting/editing their videos, but in this case, doesn't it take away from the Timberlake comment? I mean I didn't think Phil nodding at somebody else's comment and half-heartedly agreeing (like what other alternative was there? He's not going to say 'ew gross') out of politeness was all that noteworthy tbh, but for the people who took it as a baby step to slightly more openness from Phil, is the news that Dan edited it kind of a downer? Obviously Phil still approved of the edit so there's that, but now it's less of a conscious decision on Phil's part to leave it in and more of a 'yeah ok' to Dan's discretion (I mean, for all we know).
am i overthinking probably

ALSO a few pages back somebody was talking about @TATINOFHELP (but I can't be bothered to go back and find it to quote, sorry) and I have to say, they're pissing me off lately. Dumb Twitter drama under cut (it's the weekend, give me a break):
Ok, so a couple of days ago (oops just checked it was actually May 6, whatever) they mysteriously tweeted that they had a potentially 'interesting' update they would post soon. They then deleted that tweet without giving an update, but it coincides with when that dumb rumour was going around that D&P kissed on stage behind the curtain (so just their shadows were visible). Yes, people were actually speculating they would have done that. on stage. at a show. Sure. I'm assuming they heard about it (there was a video) and went to get confirmation and then determined it was bullshit. But why the fuck would an account trying to be a legit source of help for the tour be so hyped to post, if it had actually happened, an outing private moment like that. Grossed me right out; keep that shit on your personal account if you want to be that person and get those internet points.

And here's their tweet from this morning that pissed me off (and that they almost immediately deleted):
I know a lot about dan and phil, if i choose not to answer a question it's probably because it's too personal and I'm not one to do that.
Uh ok. :roll:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Poe
rainbow nerd

Anonymousse wrote:I'd love if someone would give me a timestamp for the peng moment.

23:40- the moment they start talking about the capital of Canada (if you want context but who needs that anyway? )
24:10- the exact moment when Dan said "peng" but I'd recommend watching from 24:08 to catch it
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

Definitely only one room then. Sounds like a right dodgy hotel they were staying at...
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
majitzu
angel bean

Kathrynxjane wrote: Definitely only one room then. Sounds like a right dodgy hotel they were staying at...

I don't think anyone thought there was 2 rooms.

I'm gonna watch tye ls again now, I really enjoy it.

Look this fun video
vincentian
hobbit hair

As always late, some comments on the ls: as many of you really loved the liveshow and yay I caught it live. :) All the good moments were pointed out, my favourite one was probably Phil going Daaan and eyerolling at the 'peng' comment. I’ll also never get over how Dan starts humming something and Phil hums along the same thing in tune I agree that it looked like they forgot they were on camera in those moments. They are effectively becoming one being.

Regarding the bus bed, I didn't see any no-homoing at all, I think they sort of decided to go all tongue-in-cheek about it? Like they easily could not bring it up again, but instead they both claimed to ‘win the fight’ (twice) even after Phil’s tweet. To me it sounds like light trolling and dgaf’ing.

It was nice to see Phil once again in his more extroverted confident persona and using his ‘presenter’ voice casually and Dan letting him speak and occasionally take the lead without unnecessary eye rolling and giving ‘this guy’ look. I sensed the same change in their dynamics when they did a phanniversary liveshow (which was during their UK tour), touring seems to affect Phil in a good way.

I didn’t see any theories about last ‘goodbye’ UK show that’s like totally not gonna happen? Is it #phandivorced or what is it? :lol:
Last edited by vincentian on Sat May 14, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DryCereal
koi pond

Kathrynxjane wrote: Definitely only one room then. Sounds like a right dodgy hotel they were staying at...
So, middle-of-nowhere, haunted room, shitty wifi, builders right outside your window, and now milkshake spilt on the floor... Maybe cross that one off your travel plans if anyone's headed to Kentucky(!)

But morning grumpasaurus-Phil is brilliant:
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

alittledizzy wrote:

Dizzy girl you know I love you but girl you've been brianwashed by these two evil hetero masterminds.

First of all if, as you said, Phil answer the question because he was afraid Dan would answer it showed exactly how much he cares about the "no homo" image and he is carefully maintaining it. Plus Dan, being a good Phil trash, there's no way he doesn't read Phil's twitter or give a contradictory answer without consulting him, where's trust?

Secondly, we need to handout a "How to be p-l-a-t-o-n-i-c bros" handbook to every member of the phandom, because sleep in the same room really didn't mean anything. Assume when they make a stop they sleep in the hotel with some major stuff members they need a lot of rooms, and some hotel don't have so many rooms or that would cost too much, so under these circumstances sharing a room is perfectly normal. They've been sharing a bedroom in every trip except the vegas one as far as I can remember? Including all the conventions and BBC event they go to, and it really doesn't mean anything. But carefully angle the laptop so that it shows two beds in a bedroom? That's some Post-Japhan-Stress-Disorder shit. :thumb:

Third and final, no homoness doesn't conflict with old married coupleness (k i'm just making up words now), the no homoness is something they consciously and deliberately do just to show people how NOT A COUPLE they are, but the old married coupleness is just a thing happens to all the people that been together for too long, it doesn't proof or disproof whether they are a couple, because it unconsciously happens to anyone with a long term friend, and their fans like it, so they just let it. No homoness only apply to the things that would directly or indirectly proof their relationship, but old married coupleness is more like harmless fanservice.