Dan & Phil Part 11: Kinda queer and terrible #ComeTogether

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Poe
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

SquishPhan wrote:
Kathrynxjane wrote:
phamnotof wrote: #phandivorcedafterall
Wow Dan is Savage. :sobs: :sobs:

#phandivorce
A sad time for us all. Phil being dumped for cats. :sobs:
That was harsh Dan poor Phil
akui wrote:
greatnessflicker wrote:
spider wrote:
Don't know what it's foreshadowing since I don't know about Undertale but look at Phil right after he read 'I tell him ALL my secrets' 45:12.
Phil reading 'I tell him ALL my secrets'
He turned to look at Dan and smiled.
Nice catch! What a great moment.

Undertale spoiler to what that foreshadowing is all about:
The two guardsmen each secretly love the other one and at this point I think dan and phil have no option but to help facilitate them getting together
Anyway, that moment for me is more like awkward than anything, Phil usually turns into Dan when he doesn't know what to say. And then Dan said "nice..." with slight uncertainty and a hint of sarcasm, and they both dry laughed after Phil followed reading "what". I mean isn't this the best moment in the world, i love seeing them struggling not to fall out of the closet.

tbh I think that at this point everything in the world is trying to shake that closet hard enough for them to get out of it and still, somehow, they manage to stay in there
hunnyftw
phabergé

warning: a messy af post of me quickly reacting to everything as I'm seventeen years late

re rebranding:
daphenaxa wrote:I hope he doesn't change his channel and social media to Dan Howell. I like danisnotonfire. It's a fun name, it's old school and reminiscent of old youtube and it's the channel I grew up with. Changing it would be for me another step in becoming blander and unoriginal like all the youtubers that have changed their username to their real name. We know he is Dan Howell, there is no need to change the channel. If he wants to improve it, he should just make better and more worked on content.
Agree that all the youtubers changing their channel names to their real ones are boring. Embrace your cringy random faze, people! It shows who you were almost as much as your first videos. Can't exactly say I grew up with DINOF channel name (I'm Dan's age and discovered them in 2013) but I am attached to it. Anyway, for now I'm hoping that sweetmm and alittledizzy are right and it's just a claiming url thing.

re undertale: liked this episode but it 100% wasn't my favourite one. I actually got a little bit bored when they were fighting Undyne. Luckily it got better once more towards the end. I'll probably rewatch the parts that you all timestamped, so thanks everybody
Still, I'm starting to be a little bit tired of Undertale... Definitely agree with people who put the blame on them spacing out the episodes so much. I don't know the game and don't want to watch others playing it so it's very easy to forget the details and ultimately - stop caring. And I really really wouldn't like that to happen to me, I want to enjoy watching them play it.
greatnessflicker wrote:Undertale spoiler to what that foreshadowing is all about:
The two guardsmen each secretly love the other one and at this point I think dan and phil have no option but to help facilitate them getting together in order to progress in the game
Luckily things like that give me hope, can't wait for it :D

Regardless of what my final judgement on Undertale will be by the end of it all, I'm totally with timtam
timtam wrote:I would kill for them to play something with more moral/ethical decision making with more of an impact
Ugh, a girl can dream
Last edited by hunnyftw on Fri May 20, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Poe wrote:
akui wrote: Anyway, that moment for me is more like awkward than anything, Phil usually turns into Dan when he doesn't know what to say. And then Dan said "nice..." with slight uncertainty and a hint of sarcasm, and they both dry laughed after Phil followed reading "what". I mean isn't this the best moment in the world, i love seeing them struggling not to fall out of the closet.

tbh I think that at this point everything in the world is trying to shake that closet hard enough for them to get out of it and still, somehow, they manage to stay in there
For some of their viewers quite frustrating, but very impressive on their part.
hunnyftw
phabergé

I'm confused as to what you guys mean when you talk about them trying to not fall out of the closet. I don't think it's accurate to equate this phrase to them confirming Phan, and that's what you seem to be doing (correct me if I misunderstood you). Mind you, them not being totally heterosexual =/= Phan being 100% real.

However, if you equate falling out of the closet to them confirming their sexual orientation then imo recently Dan has very much almost completely jumped out of it with maybe one pinky finger still holding on. And what's more he's doing it in style and I'm loving it!
With Phil idk shit so... well. I'll stop.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

Sorry, completely off topic but I just watched Tomska's new video about money.

He talks about MCNs from about 4:40 to 5:20 which I found particularly interesting in that it probably relates to 's recent departure from channelflip also.
It almost looks like the whole reason he even made this video is to warn people NOT to sign up with an MCN unless they know exactly what they're doing.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
DryCereal
koi pond

Aren't we all?
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

bluntedclaws wrote:Sorry, completely off topic but I just watched Tomska's new video about money.

He talks about MCNs from about 4:40 to 5:20 which I found particularly interesting in that it probably relates to 's recent departure from channelflip also.
It almost looks like the whole reason he even made this video is to warn people NOT to sign up with an MCN unless they know exactly what they're doing.
Yeah I do feel like their MCN, ChannelFlip, wasn't that good, otherwise they wouldn't have pretty much all left.
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Image

Aren't we all?
I know I am.
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Poe wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
Kathrynxjane wrote:
phamnotof wrote: #phandivorcedafterall
Wow Dan is Savage. :sobs: :sobs:

#phandivorce
A sad time for us all. Phil being dumped for cats. :sobs:
That was harsh Dan poor Phil
I'm keeping this because it's SAVAGE AF and the funniest #antiphan poof.
But seriously I don't think Dan is a cat person.
greatnessflicker wrote: Nice catch! What a great moment.

Undertale spoiler to what that foreshadowing is all about:
The two guardsmen each secretly love the other one and at this point I think dan and phil have no option but to help facilitate them getting together
I saw the screen caps about this on Tumblr. I'm not sure if I'll get mad coz of the spoiler (coz I don't play the game). But I am definitely excited to see their faces while playing this part. How long can they (especially Phil) hold their poker face?

I hope they play this series more frequently so they can move to another game. I liked the fan made FNF game that Pewdiepie played. Or they can play the Japanese dating games for fun. But I really want an action packed DvP.
I am not sure if it's coz of the merch or the promposal but I like that Phil liked this.Image
source: http://blinded-by-fairy-lights.tumblr.c ... m-not-okay
Poe
rainbow nerd

hunnyftw wrote:I'm confused as to what you guys mean when you talk about them trying to not fall out of the closet. I don't think it's accurate to equate this phrase to them confirming Phan, and that's what you seem to be doing (correct me if I misunderstood you). Mind you, them not being totally heterosexual =/= Phan being 100% real.

However, if you equate falling out of the closet to them confirming their sexual orientation then imo recently Dan has very much almost completely jumped out of it with maybe one pinky finger still holding on. And what's more he's doing it in style and I'm loving it!
I think I phrased it a little wrong. I was referring to them confirming their sexual orientation. I meant that even with everything pointing us right to them not being heterosexual, we still don't really know if it's true or not and they don't say anything concrete about that, so we keep going back and forth. I do really believe that Dan is slowly trying to come out in his own style (which is really unique) and I too, love it.

Also about Phil, I get the impression that he opened up just a little more with us. And not just about his sexual orientation. He recently hinted at being attracted by males in his last video even though I know it was after Dan gave him a little push in that direction. About him opening up with us in general, he showed us ( a whole second :lol:) of a Dan sneaky filmed and without context, in the undertale video his expressions and voice were more Phil Lester's than AP's. There is no real, clear thing that he did to make me believe this but rather, these little things speak to me more.
coffee pig
woodland creature
Pronouns: ''ugh, her again''

Diyes_Celine wrote:
I am not sure if it's coz of the merch or the promposal but I like that Phil liked this.Image
This is cute. :) Matchmaker strike again.
{ bisexual Philophile and respectful stalker since 2008 }
lionheart
squish

I'll be honest I've gotten a little disinterested in Dan and Phil as of late, and where I used to kill for a gaming vid I just feel kinda indifferent about them now... which I'm sad about lol :(

I couldn't bring myself to sit and watch their new Undertale vid and I agree that it's probs because they've spaced them out TOO much. I don't watch him very often but I like what pewdiepie did (I think he uploaded his whole Undertale playthrough in one go iirc?) Undertale is very story driven and it doesn't do it justice to have videos spaced months apart unfortunately. (Also I hope they acknowledged how good the music is in this game?! It's the best part for me!)

I feel like if they're going to do let's plays like this in the future they need to try and manage time better, or just stick to their one off vids or something.

And I mean I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm complaining too much - it really doesn't bother me that much, I'm just trying to work out why I'm so disinterested all of a sudden. You have sites like hitbox and twitch where you can watch someone sit and play a full game of Undertale in one go whilst being interactive with viewers and suddenly Dan and Phil's old school youtube keep 'em keen style gets old quite quickly.
ironic
lady door

Maybe it's just because I love Undertale so much but I do think it's they approach that's making it look boring and not deep. It would be much better if they recorded the episodes more often and focused less on the banter, and more on immersing into the game, on feeling it properly. 'Cause honestly Dan was so cynical at times in this recent video, I wanted to slap him. ;)
lionheart wrote:Also I hope they acknowledged how good the music is in this game?! It's the best part for me!
They did, thankfully :) (Dan said he's going to buy the album, and "he's not even joking".)
Last edited by ironic on Fri May 20, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
majitzu
angel bean

I just finish watching the money video, and was gonna post it here... late xD

I don't think D&P CPM is to hight because they market is teenagers and that is most of youtube market. And Dan's amount of view is less than the 10 million and Tomska has (Phil's too). So i think they make less money from their channel than Tom (each by their own, if you add both their channel nope), but they also have DAPG, the crafts channel and their side channel... Idk why but i feel most of the money cames from the merchandising and maybe the tour (also they have so many buses that I don't know if they are really making a big proffit of it xD)

I really don't care how much money they make, I just want it to be enought for the house and koi pond.

What even is this post? I blame my hunger
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

hunnyftw wrote:I'm confused as to what you guys mean when you talk about them trying to not fall out of the closet. I don't think it's accurate to equate this phrase to them confirming Phan, and that's what you seem to be doing (correct me if I misunderstood you). Mind you, them not being totally heterosexual =/= Phan being 100% real.

By closet I meant their relationship, not their sexuality. Soz. Because that two guard
are best bros but secretly in love with each other
which is quite similar to phan if phan is real. So what i find funny is that they can't really make a relatable biffle bant during this one because it's gonna be awkward later when the guards
realized their love and becomes lovers later in the story
and people's gonna be suspicious and draw connection. So they just nervous/awkward laugh.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

bedhead91 wrote:
Diyes_Celine wrote:
This is cute. :) Matchmaker strike again.
Very cute.
Maybe after the tour, Phil is going to make his Youtube channel all about becoming a matchmaker.

As for Undertale, I watched another youtuber play the game, and it still isn't my favorite game, so I feel like you can't blame for that. For me it just isn't so deep, and while I like certain characters well enough, I don't have an emotional connection to them. It is just not my game and that is fine.
lionheart
squish

ironic wrote:Maybe it's just because I love Undertale so much but I do think it's they approach that's making it look boring and not deep. It would be much better if they recorded the episodes more often and focused less on the banter, and more on immersing into the game, on feeling it properly. 'Cause honestly Dan was so cynical at times in this recent video, I wanted to slap him. ;)
lionheart wrote:Also I hope they acknowledged how good the music is in this game?! It's the best part for me!
They did, thankfully :) (Dan said he's going to buy the album, and "he's not even joking".)
Yeah I agree I feel like they need to rethink the constant bants thing if they're let's playing a game like Undertale on the channel. I mean Undertale's a very funny game (well, an all-round emotional rollercoaster really) and sometimes I wish they'd just chill out a bit and enjoy it for what it is rather than feeling like they need to crank the banter dial to 200% :p

Also lol at Dan adding the 'not even joking' to buying the soundtrack as if it's such a random thing to do that no-one else has ever done because no-one else appreciates music like Dan Howell does :roll: I love these boys but hot damn do they frustrate me sometimes lol

Edit: SquishPhan I didn't think I'd be an Undertale fan (and it certainly isn't for everyone) but I can honestly say for me the way Dan and Phil are playing it is not doing it justice. I mean they're doing well finding little secrets and stuff, but they're making too much of a big deal out of tiny irrelevant things in the game and generally butchering the story by leaving long periods of time in between the videos. This game really does start to tug at your heartstrings eventually, but I feel like Dan and Phil are gonna ruin it when we get to that point by being too over-the-top about everything. They have bants on the mind constantly so they can't just sit and enjoy the game for what it is, and neither can I when I watch them play it. (Though this is just my opinion and like I say, this game definitely isn't for everyone.)
Last edited by lionheart on Fri May 20, 2016 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

majitzu wrote:I just finish watching the money video, and was gonna post it here... late xD

I don't think D&P CPM is to hight because they market is teenagers and that is most of youtube market. And Dan's amount of view is less than the 10 million and Tomska has (Phil's too). So i think they make less money from their channel than Tom (each by their own, if you add both their channel nope), but they also have DAPG, the crafts channel and their side channel... Idk why but i feel most of the money cames from the merchandising and maybe the tour (also they have so many buses that I don't know if they are really making a big proffit of it xD)

I really don't care how much money they make, I just want it to be enought for the house and koi pond.
I'm reading Hank Green's article about CPM but I do not understand. I feel ashamed i'm so stupid.

https://medium.com/@hankgreen/the-1-000 ... .11d69sc7b

Can someone explain to me how CPM is determined like I'm a five year old please?
ironic
lady door

SquishPhan wrote: As for Undertale, I watched another youtuber play the game, and it still isn't my favorite game, so I feel like you can't blame for that. For me it just isn't so deep, and while I like certain characters well enough, I don't have an emotional connection to them. It is just not my game and that is fine.
Well yeah, surely, that's another thing. Everyone has different taste and it's totally cool. :)

But I still feel like D&P are ruining it a bit. Idk, I'm just glad I decided to play it by myself after the first episode because I would definitely not enjoy their playthrough so much now if I didn't.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
majitzu
angel bean

Every 1000 views you recieve a certain amount of money that is calculate like thi

1 000 views = 1CPM
10 000 views = 10 CPM
100 000 views = 100 CPM
1 000 000 views = 1 000 CPM

The CPM is a rate youtube puts to your channel, and it depends of your audience.
If you audience if the most common in youtube, that means teenagers, your CPM will be lower because that part of the market is already covered. But if you channel is, for example, a channel adressed to a not so common audience (a niche audience), your CPM will be very hight. I think D&p's CPM might me less than 1, maybe 0.50 or less.
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

majitzu wrote:I just finish watching the money video, and was gonna post it here... late xD

What even is this post? I blame my hunger
I watched the video as well. That was interesting. But didn't he breach something with this. I guess D&P's merch and BBC gig really pay well coz they don't post a lot of videos and accept sponsorship compared to other big youtubers. Their numbers (views and revenue) are just like with a normal youtuber with 1M subs who uploads videos at least 2x a week.
Whatever. They can do anything for that glass house, koi pond and shibe. No to cats (1 will do).
If only the TABINOF sold in my country was a mate copy, I will buy the book to support their future.
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

CPM is determined by the advertisers, is how much they are willing to pay for every thousand views their ad gets, it's just one of the ways to negotiate advertising online

youtube then decides which ads go where and what percentage of that CPM goes to the creator (that's the creator CPM hank's talking about, which imo is the wrong term to use bc it's confusing but whatever), if you make more niche content you might get a higher percentage and more ads, but you will also get less views, so probably the same amount of money or even less

(i think this is the first time my career choice allowed me to be useful on this forum yay)
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
hunnyftw
phabergé

Poe wrote:Also about Phil, I get the impression that he opened up just a little more with us. And not just about his sexual orientation. He recently hinted at being attracted by males in his last video even though I know it was after Dan gave him a little push in that direction. About him opening up with us in general, he showed us ( a whole second :lol:) of a Dan sneaky filmed and without context, in the undertale video his expressions and voice were more Phil Lester's than AP's. There is no real, clear thing that he did to make me believe this but rather, these little things speak to me more.
Owww, aren't you an optimistic little bean! ;) Imo in the Obama Llama video Dan didn't just give him a little push but basically full force shoved him into that exchange and then he, not Phil, left it in the video (I seem to remember reading here that it was Dan who edited the video). Well okey, even if Dan edited it Phil most probably had to accept the final cut. But still, it was mostly Dan's doing so it's really hard for me to see this situation as Phil being more open with the viewers. However, I fully agree with you that he's recently been more relaxed and Phil Lestery than AmazingPhily in the gaming videos and that's always nice to see. do I even English? probably not, soz
akui wrote:By closet I meant their relationship, not their sexuality. Soz. Because that two guard
which is quite similar to phan if phan is real. So what i find funny is that they can't really make a relatable biffle bant during this one because it's gonna be awkward later when the guards
and people's gonna be suspicious and draw connection. So they just nervous/awkward laugh.
Ok, now I get it, you just confused me with your (imo) strange choice of words (coming out of the closet thingy), but otherwise I agree that it may be very... interesting to watch them discover this storyline.
Also, I always thought I understood youtube money-making system but... tried to read Hank's article and now I feel like an idiot too. I'm really sorry majitzu, but your explanation helped only a little bit. :facepalm: Am I just stupid? Please don't answer that.

Edit: trashqueen, thanks that really helped! Yay for useful career choices
Last edited by hunnyftw on Fri May 20, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

akui wrote:

By closet I meant their relationship, not their sexuality. Soz. Because that two guard
They will find someway to not address it. My bet is that if Dan is taking initiative he'll probably say I SHIP IT then wink at the camera then people will forget about it after a week.
If Phil took initiative then you can expect his darn clumsiness to spill ribena all over Dan's Mac, they'll forget about Undertale and do simulator in the next video
:cactus:
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Right when we talked about Phil taking beautiful pictures of Dan Can they stop being so cute I need to focus on life Also Phil in shorts
Last edited by kuensukki on Fri May 20, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

akui wrote: Anyway, that moment for me is more like awkward than anything, Phil usually turns into Dan when he doesn't know what to say. And then Dan said "nice..." with slight uncertainty and a hint of sarcasm, and they both dry laughed after Phil followed reading "what". I mean isn't this the best moment in the world, i love seeing them struggling not to fall out of the closet.
hmm...never thought of it as awkward exactly. I just thought dan's weird little smirk was more of a sarcastic "sure..." to the guard calling the other guard his "bro." But yeah, there was some underlying tension there. Perhaps because of what you akui pointed out in your later post about how they can't make "relatable" jokes during this part.
ironic wrote:
SquishPhan wrote: As for Undertale, I watched another youtuber play the game, and it still isn't my favorite game, so I feel like you can't blame for that. For me it just isn't so deep, and while I like certain characters well enough, I don't have an emotional connection to them. It is just not my game and that is fine.
Well yeah, surely, that's another thing. Everyone has different taste and it's totally cool. :)

But I still feel like D&P are ruining it a bit. Idk, I'm just glad I decided to play it by myself after the first episode because I would definitely not enjoy their playthrough so much now if I didn't.
agreed! after i watched the first episode i bought it and played through it all in like ten hours because I saw some people saying (rather pretentiously) on twitter that undertale should be a very individualistic experience and they hope dan and phil don't "ruin" it. it is not for everyone, but it is definitely my style, so I'm glad I got to experience it by myself before watching them.
IckleMissMayhem wrote:Image

Aren't we all?
alphys is us
(undertale spoiler)