Bingo Board Bants

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
blueapple_x
flower crown

anathema wrote:
starlight-still wrote:Re: going back and forth on phan
I've wandered over here because I saw Phil's tweet this morning about feeling under the weather (rest your weary little head, Philly, pls) and got to thinking about how much they mirror each other, even inadvertently, like one becoming ill after one tour, the other after the other. And then it hit me: part of the reason why I am phan-agnostic/go back and forth between believing they are/were together and believing that they never were.

It's their intimacy that actually makes me believe *less* in phan sometimes.

Whether you're phan, anti, or somewhere in the middle, I think many of us agree that their closeness goes above and beyond what most couple-couples experience. It's almost eerie how well they complement one another and fit together. So intimate that at times they seem more like twin brothers-from-other-mothers than a couple. As in their bond is so tight that it's as if they shared a womb and have known one another since conception. As in, it's as if they could quite literally be cut from the same cloth.

I don't know if anyone out here is a twin, related to twins, or knows a set well but as an outsider, the handful of twins I've known have had an almost otherworldly closeness. One set that I knew when I was younger would even speak their own twin-language to each other. I think what the "they're like twins" interpretation does for me is complicates the notion that them being "like brothers" means that there are certain levels of intimacy or closeness that don't jive with that interpretation. Because twin relationships can be as close, if not closer, than romantic partnerships.

But then I remember 2009 and it does seem as though they started out feeling very drawn to one another and (unless they were completely fabricating their messages on social media), more likely than not, explored physical intimacy with one another. And also, if they have, in fact, a strictly brotherly relationship, wouldn't they have emphasized this when trying to disprove phan? It would be easy enough for them to say "he's like a brother to me" and just stick with that to keep the public outside of their private lives. So why haven't they?

Lately the interpretation that's stuck with me is that they definitely have a very, very special bond but they themselves have chosen to explore it and try it on different ways. Perhaps they've settled on a close friendship for the time being, perhaps they're privately involved as romantic partners, but that doesn't mean that it was or will always be so. Maybe they don't see each other as "just" partners, because of that twin-brotherly intimacy, or "only" brothers, because they've been involved in other ways, even if it was just once. For all we know, it might change month to month, week to week, hour to hour. They both seem very open to letting things evolve as they will. If this is at least partially true, it explains why it can be so difficult to fall on one side of the phan/anti-phan interpretations, why their relationship is endlessly intriguing from an outside perspective, and perhaps even why they themselves choose to keep things private rather than force themselves to fit into friend-category or lover-category.
Very interesting perspective! I've not really thought of this before. But, one thing, I do remember there was one liveshow where someone asked if they were brothers and Dan responded with "ew, no" or something along those lines. I always thought it was weird that he seemed weirded out about the idea of him and Phil being brothers. But, I don't know, I saw it a while ago and maybe I viewed it wrong - it could have just been for comedic affect (?) and he's actually not grossed out about the idea of thinking him and Phil are brothers. Very interesting topic to think about.
I think you're talking about this? At 3:25

I think he's addressed that question more than once and iirc every time his answer is similar. I personally don't view this particular clip as a grossed out reaction to the concept of them being brothers (doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have been disturbed on the inside though--just to cover all my bases lol). But yeah, I think he just meant if they were brothers, people would be weird for shipping them. I recall seeing a clip where he said he didn't view Phil as a brother though.
mrrobot
dank meme

blueapple_x wrote:
anathema wrote:
starlight-still wrote:Re: going back and forth on phan
I've wandered over here because I saw Phil's tweet this morning about feeling under the weather (rest your weary little head, Philly, pls) and got to thinking about how much they mirror each other, even inadvertently, like one becoming ill after one tour, the other after the other. And then it hit me: part of the reason why I am phan-agnostic/go back and forth between believing they are/were together and believing that they never were.

It's their intimacy that actually makes me believe *less* in phan sometimes.

Whether you're phan, anti, or somewhere in the middle, I think many of us agree that their closeness goes above and beyond what most couple-couples experience. It's almost eerie how well they complement one another and fit together. So intimate that at times they seem more like twin brothers-from-other-mothers than a couple. As in their bond is so tight that it's as if they shared a womb and have known one another since conception. As in, it's as if they could quite literally be cut from the same cloth.

I don't know if anyone out here is a twin, related to twins, or knows a set well but as an outsider, the handful of twins I've known have had an almost otherworldly closeness. One set that I knew when I was younger would even speak their own twin-language to each other. I think what the "they're like twins" interpretation does for me is complicates the notion that them being "like brothers" means that there are certain levels of intimacy or closeness that don't jive with that interpretation. Because twin relationships can be as close, if not closer, than romantic partnerships.

But then I remember 2009 and it does seem as though they started out feeling very drawn to one another and (unless they were completely fabricating their messages on social media), more likely than not, explored physical intimacy with one another. And also, if they have, in fact, a strictly brotherly relationship, wouldn't they have emphasized this when trying to disprove phan? It would be easy enough for them to say "he's like a brother to me" and just stick with that to keep the public outside of their private lives. So why haven't they?

Lately the interpretation that's stuck with me is that they definitely have a very, very special bond but they themselves have chosen to explore it and try it on different ways. Perhaps they've settled on a close friendship for the time being, perhaps they're privately involved as romantic partners, but that doesn't mean that it was or will always be so. Maybe they don't see each other as "just" partners, because of that twin-brotherly intimacy, or "only" brothers, because they've been involved in other ways, even if it was just once. For all we know, it might change month to month, week to week, hour to hour. They both seem very open to letting things evolve as they will. If this is at least partially true, it explains why it can be so difficult to fall on one side of the phan/anti-phan interpretations, why their relationship is endlessly intriguing from an outside perspective, and perhaps even why they themselves choose to keep things private rather than force themselves to fit into friend-category or lover-category.
Very interesting perspective! I've not really thought of this before. But, one thing, I do remember there was one liveshow where someone asked if they were brothers and Dan responded with "ew, no" or something along those lines. I always thought it was weird that he seemed weirded out about the idea of him and Phil being brothers. But, I don't know, I saw it a while ago and maybe I viewed it wrong - it could have just been for comedic affect (?) and he's actually not grossed out about the idea of thinking him and Phil are brothers. Very interesting topic to think about.
I think you're talking about this? At 3:25

I think he's addressed that question more than once and iirc every time his answer is similar. I personally don't view this particular clip as a grossed out reaction to the concept of them being brothers (doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have been disturbed on the inside though--just to cover all my bases lol). But yeah, I think he just meant if they were brothers, people would be weird for shipping them. I recall seeing a clip where he said he didn't view Phil as a brother though.
I opened this video and
what. why

Edit: nevermind me I just realized the metaphor was the comment saying "Dan, I love your hair, hobbit or straight" and not the action of dan fixing his hair
full-time internet homo and irl too
also Image
Winston
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Lately I have been thinking about how they did actually get together. By that I mean Dan always said he would @reply Phil and say stuff like "I like Muse too" etc. that's fine. But why did Phil decide this random guy who kept @replying him with stuff like that, was someone he wanted to talk to. I mean I would assume that Dan was not the only person to do this. Phil was fairly popular already and I am sure at least a few other people would be saying the same type of things to get his attention. SO why did Phil go along? What about Dan stuck out in a group of people doing the same thing? They started "flirting" over twitter, but was that once they had actually started talking? If it was before, could that have been a catalyst for them actually talking over Skype etc and so on?
actions speak louder than words
swofro
angel bean

Winston wrote:Lately I have been thinking about how they did actually get together. By that I mean Dan always said he would @reply Phil and say stuff like "I like Muse too" etc. that's fine. But why did Phil decide this random guy who kept @replying him with stuff like that, was someone he wanted to talk to. I mean I would assume that Dan was not the only person to do this. Phil was fairly popular already and I am sure at least a few other people would be saying the same type of things to get his attention. SO why did Phil go along? What about Dan stuck out in a group of people doing the same thing? They started "flirting" over twitter, but was that once they had actually started talking? If it was before, could that have been a catalyst for them actually talking over Skype etc and so on?
My best guest is maybe he finds Dan cute.
Love is forever
kusunoki masashige
butt chair

swofro wrote:
Winston wrote:Lately I have been thinking about how they did actually get together. By that I mean Dan always said he would @reply Phil and say stuff like "I like Muse too" etc. that's fine. But why did Phil decide this random guy who kept @replying him with stuff like that, was someone he wanted to talk to. I mean I would assume that Dan was not the only person to do this. Phil was fairly popular already and I am sure at least a few other people would be saying the same type of things to get his attention. SO why did Phil go along? What about Dan stuck out in a group of people doing the same thing? They started "flirting" over twitter, but was that once they had actually started talking? If it was before, could that have been a catalyst for them actually talking over Skype etc and so on?
My best guest is maybe he finds Dan cute.
+1

"stop being so damn pretty dan howell"
arequian
crusty sponge
Pronouns: they/them

I think this is the best place to put this, since we talked about rebranding on the main thread not that long ago. There's a french youtuber called Antoine Daniel and “What the Cut” is a series he makes reviewing weird/funny videos, it's also pretty much all the content he makes. He's rebranding... well, more like broadening his content, and I just find really interesting how many of the things he talks about could apply to D&P. Or maybe I'm just and I see Deppy everywhere

-He says he didn't have motivation to make What the Cut, but when he tried to make something different the feeling of “I have to make What the Cut” stopped him. And how that's the reason for the lack of videos in his channel in the last two years. Lack of motivation, lack of content... why does this sound familiar? ;)

-He also talks about how if you make videos weekly and one is not great people are like “It's okay, the next will be better”, but if your content is more spaced out you don't have the same freedom, the videos have to be really good or else. He wants to be able to experiment, diversify, and most importantly, have the right to make mistakes. To make videos that are bad, or just average. I think there's was some talk about this when Dan tweeted that article about Joanne the Scammer.

-There's also the pressure he feels to make What the Cut, and how he can't avoid feeling pressured when people are constantly asking about it.I find interesting the pressure youtubers feel from their viewers and how they deal with it. It reminded me of Dan when he says: “Peer pressure me and I might upload a video”.

-He says you shouldn't make a certain kind of videos because you think thats what your audience wants. That you should make the videos that you want to make, that you like, because you'll find people who like them. Something that D&P have said, but that I personally don't believe they actually do.

-How he forgot that there's people who will support him even if makes different content. This was one of the most interesting things for me. Because we know that there's people who would still follow Deppy if they changed their content, but maybe that's not as easy for them to see?

-It's interesting how he says this is most terrifying video to put out there, but also that it's relieving to finally say this, because it lifts a weight off his shoulders and allows him to start making the content he's been wanting to make. He's knows that this might make people unsuscribe, but he understands that there's people who don't want to see the new content, so it's okay. Hearing it like this it made me realise how much a branding or a style can limitate you, and it also made me appreciate much more the slow rebrandings that we are seeing in Deppy.
bluewho
truth bomb

arequian wrote:Hearing it like this it made me realise how much a branding or a style can limitate you, and it also made me appreciate much more the slow rebrandings that we are seeing in Deppy.
arequian, your post made some interesting comparison points. Do you guys think Dan and Phil have actually slowly rebranded? And, if so, how and how much? Also do you think that they would rebrand/make different kinds of videos if they weren't afraid of audience reaction/perception?
buffy
tol bean

It's interesting for me because I think at this point in my relationship with deppy that it literally doesn't matter what they put out for content, I'll watch it because I'm in it for them as people. It's almost like a friend putting out something and I just want to see what they're up to. That's not to say I don't enjoy most of their current content, but if they were both to undergo a radical rebranding in the near future it wouldn't put me off like it might with their more casual viewers.
melon lord
morning quiff

@4:29

Blurry Dan looks super cute with his hair pushed back. Do you guys think the fringe is just branding at this point or do they actually keep the fringe even in their private time? :geek:

idk maybe management has made them keep a fringe they can push down or up to keep their brand relevant. I mean it's pretty iconic by now, and I can't imagine having the same hairstyle for so long. Or maybe it's one of those lazy days, I know I get those too :lol:

pearshaped34
morning quiff

melon lord wrote:
Blurry Dan looks super cute with his hair pushed back. Do you guys think the fringe is just branding at this point or do they actually keep the fringe even in their private time? :geek:

idk maybe management has made them keep a fringe they can push down or up to keep their brand relevant. I mean it's pretty iconic by now, and I can't imagine having the same hairstyle for so long. Or maybe it's one of those lazy days, I know I get those too :lol:
I think this is probably just a public vs private thing. We know from comments they've made before that when having lazy days they are all-day PJ kind of people rather then those who get dressed properly and make an actual effort for house lounging so it's not hard to imagine they just wear their hair in whatever way they find most comfortable when at home and not planning on being on camera.
As you say you do it and I do it too, it's a fairly common thing to go for comfort over style when in your own home so I don't think the fact we've seen Dan with his hair pushed back a few times when his not supposed to be on camera means he has a secret look for when his not filming. It's probably just a case of him pushing it back so he didn't have to do anything else with it.

That being said while I don't really buy them having secret hairstyles they also use consistently when they won't be seen by the audience I do think the reason they have probably never changed it up in 7 years is how integral their current styles are to their public images.
But then again I've had the same hairstyle for a lot longer then 7 years so them genuinely liking that style and just never wanting to change it is also entirely possible.
fleur-de-lis
butt chair

melon lord wrote:
Pretty sure management can't make them do anything, they aren't 1D :lol:

I can imagine that branding is the reason why they haven't changed their hair though, I mean, all the merchandise for one.. Like, if they actually wanted to, they would, but apparently it's not THAT important. At home is a whole different story, like you guys said, why make the effort when nobody sees it anyway.
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

fleur-de-lis wrote:
melon lord wrote:
Pretty sure management can't make them do anything, they aren't 1D :lol:

I can imagine that branding is the reason why they haven't changed their hair though, I mean, all the merchandise for one.. Like, if they actually wanted to, they would, but apparently it's not THAT important. At home is a whole different story, like you guys said, why make the effort when nobody sees it anyway.
I'd be inclined to agree - from what we know, I suspect Deppy manage their own management :lol:

I know what melon lord means though - its almost as if Deppy don't need managing because between them they're intelligent/savvy/organised enough to basically manage themselves. And the managers within them know its best to keep a fringe-friendly hairstyle (even if they don't wear them down all the time) for now.

I actually don't think Dan would have changed his much even off his own back until very recently. He's only just starting to embrace his waves so I think he genuinely preferred a poker-straight hairstyle and so it needed to be long enough to straighten. As I say, that's subject to change as of late.

Phil on the other hand - I can see him being 100% done with the fringe on a personal level.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
melon lord
morning quiff

I really want Phil done with the fringe. It does his head no favours. The quiff really gives him a nice look and flatters him, although I also know what it's like to hide behind a fringe.

I also want more hobbit hair. Who hurt him when he was young and he became so insecure?

I sweae I have more banter but not atm cause I'm half asleep on my phone right now :lol:

nephilimcat
woodland creature

I really hope they genuinely still like their fringes and don't just keep them because of their branding/their merch/the possible reactions/etc. I like their hair very much, especially since they don't have the same haircut as almost every other male YouTuber. I do think that Phil looks amazing with a quiff and I love Dan's hobbit hair, but I don't desperately need them to get new haircuts. Maybe I'd even be sad if they got rid of their fringes. But it's not like their hair has never changed, the length does make quite a difference imo. Just look at older pictures, it's like looking at different people :shock:
So yeah, we'll see what their hair will look like a few years from now. I don't really care what they do with it, it's their hair, not mine :lol:
pulvis et umbra sumus
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

There was that one pic of Phil out at the store that a fan got, and his hair was pushed back. I agree that it's not a definite swap in and out of character type thing so much as a comfort and ease thing. We can pretty much already discern that Dan hasn't straightened his hair when just casually at home for a while now since in Phil's quiz video he kept getting their hair confused under the assumption that Dan's would be curly and his would be straight.

(I also doubt Phil straightens his hair when he's not going to be on camera or going out either, his hair is just naturally straight enough that it wouldn't make nearly as noticeable a difference as Dan's.)
lishachi
eclipse shirt

im so glad that there's a thread for analysing these topics :D

i know that their fringes are kind of part of their branding, and i have nothing against them (i think fringes are nice) but they're getting older, will phil really want a fringe when he's going into his 30's? (again, not that it's a bad thing, it's just that a majority of people of that age don't) obviously it's his hair, and he'll do whatever to it :D just genuinely wondering how long they'll both keep with them.

also when i first watched them last year, i genuinely thought they were both around 18/19 and was so shocked when i found out they were into their 20's i think the fringes makes them look alot younger, i'm not sure why. i love phil with a quiff and glasses he really suits it. im not sure ive seen dan with a quiff before so im not sure on him.

idk if any of that makes sense. think i'm just rambling now. i do like the hair i promise!!
:biflag: :blackheart:
sentinel
lady door

To answer an older question - I think it's pure chance or fate or whatever that Phil messaged Dan back. I met one of my best friends while running a vaguely popular blog where I would get 5 to 10 messages a day by random people. At first I didn't even notice her all that much but there was... something about the way she messaged me. I don't know, I was just drawn to her so much that we were skyping within weeks of her first messaging me. I feel like this is somewhat similar to what happened to Dab and Phil - some people just stand out of the crowd.

That is also the reason I go back and forth on my opinion about Phan. I've experienced an intense friendship like this, where you share everything with each other so I can relate to that. What I currently think about it now is that they used to be intimate in some way early on but either moved away from intimacy or settled down into the relationship. However, I don't think they are currently together. I was in the phandom pre-2012 "no homo" Dan happened and the feeling between them... It's different. They feel close, but close like friends, not like people who are together. But like people mentioned, who could even come close to what they have for them to have a secret other relationship? They just seem so self sufficient with each other so it's hard to imagine yet they aren't the way they used to be before Dan went berserk.

As for the quiffs - I think Phil kinda likes himself with a quiff but also likes hiding behind a fringe (#relatable) so I think he'll just have it pushed back sometimes after he rebrands and normal other times. Dan will not let go of the fringe, you can't straighten short hair (after all, that's the only straight part in him... bad pun lmao).
melon lord
morning quiff

@sentinel, yeah I know what you mean.

I had a friendship like and it became a relationship. We were joined at the hip. On skype 24/7 literally all the time, we'd go to bed together with our laptops by our side, drifting off to sleep together, wake up together, cook together, chill out together, we were best friends before becoming partners so it was so perfect in a very human way. We had common tastes but also some very different opinions on some things (mostly related to personal taste). We were basically Dan and Phil in a nutshell, but with countries apart, not just cities.

So I know how all-consuming and blissful that feeling is. Unfortunately last year he broke up with me out of the blue because he said he didn't love me anymore and now he's living with his new girlfriend he got a month after breaking up with me and I honestly haven't recovered it's like a deep trauma, my hair has been falling out and I haven't slept well since then but anyway enough about me

But yes something seems different. Even the way they answer questions. Like Jamila (sp?) when she asked the boys if they were single and Dan was like "can you tell?" but it just seemed so awkward compared to when he'd outright say "no" in younow.

I don't know. It's like something is off but at the same time maybe it's just being comfortable with each other rather than the new honeymoon phase.

The idea of them spending their lives together platonically while cute is also kind of sad. There's so many people and experiences to live through and they might miss out on them because they keep each other company. Das just me doe

nephilimcat
woodland creature

melon lord wrote: The idea of them spending their lives together platonically while cute is also kind of sad. There's so many people and experiences to live through and they might miss out on them because they keep each other company. Das just me doe
First of all: I'm so sorry to hear about your relationship, you'll find someone else one day, don't worry :itsokay:

It's so difficult to decide whether Phan is real or not because I think the line between a very close friendship and a romantic relationship is very thin. But I recently came up with something: What if they're actually aromantic? They didn't have a relationship in years (that we know of) and don't seem to try to have one at the moment (could be because they're busy ofc). Maybe they are okay with being together in a platonic way and even have kids together but without the relationship aspect of it. I'm not saying they're also asexual btw, I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case. But well, Idk, it's just a thought I've had ever since I watched a video from an aromantic girl. She said that she's not searching for a partner but she does want a platonic soulmate. If you believe in the concept of soulmates, Dan and Phil definitely are. So what if being platonic soulmates that live together and grow old together and have a family together is actually what Dan and Phil want?

This is the video I mentioned:
pulvis et umbra sumus
melon lord
morning quiff

Thank you for your kind words nephilimcat
even though it's a year later it's still hard to go through. It's tough when you see a funny post and your first instinct is to share it with them, or the first thing you want to do every morning is check up on them, when they are off living their life and claim they are happy as well. I didn't just lose a longterm partner, I lost my best friend. The person who witnessed and heard a lot of family drama, who believed me, who supported me, who I spent thousands of hours talking to online. Dan and Phil being all "whoah we talked for 5 hours on skype" was nothing compared to us. We talked from morning till night and through sunrise again. I had my laptop and skype on all day and I just carried it with me everywhere. His family and country became mine, too.
I kind of differ as a person on this front.

I'm very much like Dan. I'm analytical, scientific, zero percent superstition. I understand and appreciate the concept of soulmates and the inner romantic thinks it's cute, but I simply don't believe it exists. I don't believe they are soulmates. Mathematically speaking the chances of another guy in the UK who also likes Muse and Final Fantasy and Kill Bill... well the chances are good. That doesn't invalidate each other's importance, I just don't hold any superior meaning behind it.

If Dan wasn't so persistent with Phil then we wouldn't be here discussing this. If Phil hadn't reciprocated the conversation, nobody would know "danisnotonfire". Circumstance brought us here and brought them together. I accept that they might be perfectly happy the way they are, until the day they die, I just feel like if they aren't actually together then there is so much life out there to live and so many wasted chances they'll pass by in a blanket of security with each other.

I'm not a carpe diem person. I hate pseudo-positive quote bites. I just feel like a lot of life lingers around the corner if only one was brave enough to take the step.

spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

nephilimcat wrote:
It's so difficult to decide whether Phan is real or not because I think the line between a very close friendship and a romantic relationship is very thin. But I recently came up with something: What if they're actually aromantic? They didn't have a relationship in years (that we know of) and don't seem to try to have one at the moment (could be because they're busy ofc). Maybe they are okay with being together in a platonic way and even have kids together but without the relationship aspect of it. I'm not saying they're also asexual btw, I'm actually pretty sure that's not the case. But well, Idk, it's just a thought I've had ever since I watched a video from an aromantic girl. She said that she's not searching for a partner but she does want a platonic soulmate. If you believe in the concept of soulmates, Dan and Phil definitely are. So what if being platonic soulmates that live together and grow old together and have a family together is actually what Dan and Phil want?
So, I really don't think that is likely that they are both aromantic. I've always considered it a possibility that Phil is though. Mainly b/c we've never heard about him being in a relationship, though he has mentioned sex. Dan has said that he's been in love before and has talked about having romantic feelings, so i kind of dismiss him in this theory.
Idk, for some reason this idea of Phil makes a lot of sense to me.

(There's also this moment in Sims where Phil suggests that they give Dil a steamy shower to put him in a romantic mood, and Dan is like 'that's not romantic! that's steamy', which stood out to me. Its like he was conflating romantic + sexual feelings.)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

melon lord wrote:Thank you for your kind words nephilimcat
even though it's a year later it's still hard to go through. It's tough when you see a funny post and your first instinct is to share it with them, or the first thing you want to do every morning is check up on them, when they are off living their life and claim they are happy as well. I didn't just lose a longterm partner, I lost my best friend. The person who witnessed and heard a lot of family drama, who believed me, who supported me, who I spent thousands of hours talking to online. Dan and Phil being all "whoah we talked for 5 hours on skype" was nothing compared to us. We talked from morning till night and through sunrise again. I had my laptop and skype on all day and I just carried it with me everywhere. His family and country became mine, too.
I kind of differ as a person on this front.

I'm very much like Dan. I'm analytical, scientific, zero percent superstition. I understand and appreciate the concept of soulmates and the inner romantic thinks it's cute, but I simply don't believe it exists. I don't believe they are soulmates. Mathematically speaking the chances of another guy in the UK who also likes Muse and Final Fantasy and Kill Bill... well the chances are good. That doesn't invalidate each other's importance, I just don't hold any superior meaning behind it.

If Dan wasn't so persistent with Phil then we wouldn't be here discussing this. If Phil hadn't reciprocated the conversation, nobody would know "danisnotonfire". Circumstance brought us here and brought them together. I accept that they might be perfectly happy the way they are, until the day they die, I just feel like if they aren't actually together then there is so much life out there to live and so many wasted chances they'll pass by in a blanket of security with each other.

I'm not a carpe diem person. I hate pseudo-positive quote bites. I just feel like a lot of life lingers around the corner if only one was brave enough to take the step.
I get that. I had a "best" friend I shared everything with once. It's hard to lose a person that is a huge part of your life :( Even if that person did shitty things.
Yeah, I don't really believe in soulmates either, but I think if they do exist, it has to be something similar to what Dan and Phil have. I'm a realist but always open to stuff like this. I can't fully deny the concept of soulmates but it doesn't really fit into my world view, if that makes sense
spaceguitar wrote:So, I really don't think that is likely that they are both aromantic. I've always considered it a possibility that Phil is though. Mainly b/c we've never heard about him being in a relationship, though he has mentioned sex. Dan has said that he's been in love before and has talked about having romantic feelings, so i kind of dismiss him in this theory.

(There's also this moment in Sims where Phil suggests that they give Dil a steamy shower to put him in a romantic mood, and Dan is like 'that's not romantic! that's steamy', which stood out to me. Its like he was conflating romantic + sexual feelings.)
Hmm, that makes a lot of sense. The reason I could imagine Dan as an aromantic as well is because he seems so content in being with Phil and doesn't seem to want another person in his life. So if Phan isn't a thing and he isn't aromantic, wouldn't he try to find someone instead of clinging to Phil as if he were oxygen? And as far as I see it, he clings to Phil more than Phil to him. Maybe he's just happy with his friendship for now and doesn't feel like he needs a relationship at this point in his life. As you said, he talked about romantic feelings. Which could have been falsely interpreted platonic feelings or he learned them from watching movies. It can take a while until you truly understand your sexuality and your feelings, so maybe he didn't know back then or still doesn't really know.
I just kinda hope Phan is either a thing or they're both aromantic because I feel like any potential partner would be too intimidated by their friendship. I don't know if I could be with someone who is basically knit to their best friend.
pulvis et umbra sumus
anathema
morning quiff

nephilimcat wrote:
spaceguitar wrote:So, I really don't think that is likely that they are both aromantic. I've always considered it a possibility that Phil is though. Mainly b/c we've never heard about him being in a relationship, though he has mentioned sex. Dan has said that he's been in love before and has talked about having romantic feelings, so i kind of dismiss him in this theory.

Hmm, that makes a lot of sense. The reason I could imagine Dan as an aromantic as well is because he seems so content in being with Phil and doesn't seem to want another person in his life. So if Phan isn't a thing and he isn't aromantic, wouldn't he try to find someone instead of clinging to Phil as if he were oxygen? And as far as I see it, he clings to Phil more than Phil to him. Maybe he's just happy with his friendship for now and doesn't feel like he needs a relationship at this point in his life. As you said, he talked about romantic feelings. Which could have been falsely interpreted platonic feelings or he learned them from watching movies. It can take a while until you truly understand your sexuality and your feelings, so maybe he didn't know back then or still doesn't really know.
I just kinda hope Phan is either a thing or they're both aromantic because I feel like any potential partner would be too intimidated by their friendship. I don't know if I could be with someone who is basically knit to their best friend.
Remember the aromantic spectrum is very broad. Just because Dan has been in love before doesn't mean he couldn't be aromantic/satisfied platonically living with Phil forever. While I don't think he (or Phil) is on the aromantic spectrum, it would be really cool if he was gray-aromantic or something of the likes.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
PolarFox
truth bomb

As there have been youtubers breaking up or moving apart once again, I was thinking - hey, if #phandivorce were to happen, how would we learn? Would they make video? How would they handle it? Would we see through what relationship they actually had? How would they handle nice break up (friend break up incase someone doesn't think phan is a thing) or how would they handle messy one? How would Dan handle it? How would Phil? I wanna hear your opinions
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
nephilimcat
woodland creature

PolarFox wrote:As there have been youtubers breaking up or moving apart once again, I was thinking - hey, if #phandivorce were to happen, how would we learn? Would they make video? How would they handle it? Would we see through what relationship they actually had? How would they handle nice break up (friend break up incase someone doesn't think phan is a thing) or how would they handle messy one? How would Dan handle it? How would Phil? I wanna hear your opinions
That's a pretty sad topic to discuss. I don't really want to think about it and I can't see this happening at all, especially since lately, they seem closer than ever.
Hypothetically speaking, I think no matter how messy it would be for them, they'd keep it civil on the Internet. If they could, they'd probably just stop making videos together and unfollow each other without saying a single word to us. But since Phan is such a big part of their career, they couldn't do that. I think they would have to make a video or at least post something on their social media accounts that explains it roughly. I mean, they always try to avoid drama, even if they started hating each other, they'd probably stay polite and reasonable and would say something like "we don't like/love each other the way we used to anymore and decided to go our separate ways".
I just really hope that #phandivorced never happens!!! I think I'd lose all my faith in love and friendship if they won't be together anymore :(
pulvis et umbra sumus