Dan & Phil Part 24: I got moist for you, Phil

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Sorry i'm late to the review party, just want to throw my two cents out there. I am very happy about both of their recent videos, they are hardly high effort high creativity videos, yes, (not up to my highest expectations lol), but they did manage to break out their fake ass persona shells and let their personality shine through, that I appreciate. At least they tried, that's all i need.
danphil333
hobbit hair

lilMango wrote:I loved the video. Loved Phil swearing, loved the glasses bit at the beginning, loved the mentions of Dan, overall not a horrible video.
One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen brought up yet... a lot of Phil's more recent videos (with the exception of the house plants one) are at least 10 minutes long, where it seems like most of his old ones were shorter unless they were "special" (like a DITL or baking vid).
Do you think he's adjusting his video length to fit the YouTube algorithm? I personally didn't think the quiz video needed to be 10 minutes long, and it did seem like it was dragged out a bit.
Maybe I'm overthinking lmao
lol, i thought the same when dan uploaded his video:

10:59 I Nearly Blinded Myself
10:12 Taking Quizzes About Myself!

maybe they had a discussion :lol: :lol: or it was just a coincidence.
coffeepenguin wrote: But I actually have an argument about Phil and his attitude towards the creativity which I like to think is relevant. First of all, fancybum in the liveshows rewatch tread quoted Phil's view on his earlier content:
fancybum wrote: “I used to do some weird ass stuff on my channel like 3 years ago. As anyone who’s watched all my video will know, I went through kind of an experimental renaissance where I just made some weird, weird stuff. I don’t think I’ll be going back down that route."
i wanted to quote this part too. Its so interesting seeing what phil thinks of his old content. Especially considering how many people love his old videos and want to see that phil again.
Is it because we think he was more mature and "real" back then? Because phil himself doesnt like that part of him anymore. He called it an "experimental renaissance" and i completely understand why he wouldnt want to do the same thing again. He was also really young back then and could try all those crazy things and experiment. Not so much now
Last edited by danphil333 on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

31:58 onwards. I'm guessing this is part of the coming shitstorm Dan keeps mentioning
starlight-still
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

More re: new AP
I can see why on the surface, Phil’s new video seems like it’s just a boring, maybe even lazy, effort to some. But the main takeaway that I got from the new AP is “hey phandom, I appreciate all the lovely things you say about me, but I have other sides to myself that I may want to start sharing more of soon.” Which is probably why I’m so over it. Warning: this post is a disorganized mish mash of emotions and analysis…but something I wanted to say nonetheless.

Both of them seem to be slowly chipping away (or at least confronting) their personas and evolving them into something new.

Dan’s a bit bolder, but still moving at a pace that’s comfortable for him. Attraction mentions. Diss track. Wavy hair. Opinions. Confrontation. Accepting compliments.

Phil is keeping it subtle, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t moving at all. I think he may have actually put some thought into the structure of the video. How can I separate AP from who I am behind the scenes while keeping it light and entertaining? OK, there are all these AP quizzes out there. What if I took them? Would I even score as "myself"?

So the answer was, more or less, “yes” especially when he picked what was expected (but also had an argument for each of those choices). But, in between the obvious answer choices we got little revelations. The photo shoot story. The “I used to be not so confident and I haven’t forgotten about it” remark. Just seeing his reaction to the “beautiful, gorgeous, angel bean, ball of sunshine, etc.” type comments that we read every day; mostly flattered, maybe even a little bit genuinely surprised and touched but also saddened. He seemed to be saying, “I get why this is something that appeals, especially to the younger audience- heck, I could’ve probably used it when I was their age.”

Glimpses at what could be coming soon: Deadpan delivery. More that 100% nerdy (maybe about even more than video games and anime and such). “I’m calling the police.” “Phil 100%....wahahaha.” “Yaaaay.”

Who is this glasses-wearing, fringeless, bean-hating, goose-loving, stubbly, non-smiling, morning strolling, fancy ass, moth-tossing, bare-footed, pants-less, blinky (look at the last 20 seconds), sneaky weasel indeed.

I can’t imagine for a second that one of them (Dan) is moving in a new direction without the other.

Technically, I doubt he’s really just limited himself to the level of skills we see on display on AP. Same with his ability to create original, high quality work. It’s in there. We’ve just gotta be patient.
coffeepenguin wrote:
Now, what I've been wanting to talk about for some time: Phil's ambition, it seems, has always been becoming famous, or, if you want, relevant, not finding his voice and expressing himself creatively. Take all his early TV appearances for example. He auditioned for The Big Brother, for god's sake. Then, it's also telling who he names as his favourite directors, I mean, I like Tarantino and Aronofski as much as the next person, but they are definitely very mainstream. Phil's not a movie nerd in terms of really groundbreaking cinema, you'll never see any mention of, idk, Lav Diaz, or Assayas, or any Korean directors who I hear are a compulsory watch for movie nerds these days (I have friends like that who go to the festivals and write about it, it's a whole 'nuther world out there). So, I feel like creativity has always been more of tool for Phil (then, of course, it depends on what you define as creativity), not a goal in itself.

Yes, people change, but Phil still seems to be very much seeking approval from others (for those familiar with Tatinof more so, I guess). Yes, he has an amazing mind which works in mysterious ways, but it's his default characteristic, not something he's actively exploring. Why? Because he's already found himself.
It is what it is with Phil, at least so far. He might be into some of that stuff behind the scenes, who knows. He lives in London, ffs, there is just so much that he could be doing and seeing...or even just on the internet, but does he have the time/interest? Should he more than anyone else? He feels no need to stuff himself into that "film nerd" category to prove anything and embraces his trash tv-loving, fame-seeking side. That's part of what I find so refreshing about him.
internetakeover wrote:
bluewho wrote:Ready to start rubbing pumpkin spice into your face in SEPTEMBER :gg:
Yes, I can't believe I forgot to mention that!! Not understanding this autumn love, summer is clearly the best season, come on people ;)
Nah, I think Phil's actually team eternal sweat summer (boooo) so maybe this is more like "damn, two minutes into September and it's pumpkin spice nation, y'all need to chill."
human
dan hand trash

Cattalena wrote:He never really challenges himself and the FCP software of 2016 is probably quite different from the FCP in 2009 that he used for his degree
Truefax, I went to filmschool too and learnt on FCP v5.0 and 6.0 which I think is what Phil said he used, and I can't even open a file in the most recent version lol I've given up working with video now, I work in IT instead. But I do think Phil is technically better in making videos than Dan, I just think his ideas aren't quite as inspired as Dan's right now.

And no, I don't hold them to different standards. Idk why people assume that unless someone has specifically said so. I legit just think Dan seems to be actually looking forward to creating and seems proud of what he's creating right now, which is nice to see because I feel like he went through a phase of being almost embarrassed about it (the Connor collab for instance), and Phil just seems as content as he's always been. That's the difference I've seen.
danphil333 wrote:are you telling me that dan somehow is held to some higher standards? higher than phil? for his yt content? in 2016? what? i dont get it sorry. i am completely honest.
If anyone thinks that then it's not me lol, js. I think my point was more coming from the videos Phil used to make in the old days of AP, which were a bit trippy, a bit weird, really creative, and that he probably wouldn't dream of making anything like that now. It's just me coming from a place where I'm fan of that content, but I can appreciate people mature and change and he's just not into it. It's just an opinion after all, lol we all have them.

Leading on from that, I think Dan's content has changed less over the years; he is pretty consistent with what he wants to do so I think I don't feel the same sense of loss for previous ideas that aren't on the channel anymore. And I really don't miss the sexy endscreen dance or naked Phil lol.
danphil333 wrote:what i am trying to say is that dans last video was the closest he will ever get to the "phil type of content" and people loved it. That content is all they want from dan.
and still the same people give phil so much crap for his own content because it wasnt "creative" or "original" enough for their standards
Nah, that's a sweeping generalisation you can't make without surveying everyone who enjoyed Dan's video? Dan's new video isn't AP style, it's the same style of "Danecdote" he's been doing since the beginning? Phil just happens to be a sit down vlogger in his own right and style as well. They're not similar other than that in my opinion so idk where you're going with this. I think the blinding incident video was pretty creative in terms of the sketch, the humour and the green screen work which he saw the need to criticise but was actually pretty quirkily done.

But honestly, it doesn't surprise me that somehow a few people having an opinion on Phil's channel and giving a bit of criticism would somehow twist into getting to have a few more digs at Dan. Everything always does after all lolol.
lilMango
morning quiff

danphil333 wrote:
lilMango wrote:I loved the video. Loved Phil swearing, loved the glasses bit at the beginning, loved the mentions of Dan, overall not a horrible video.
One thing I've noticed that I haven't seen brought up yet... a lot of Phil's more recent videos (with the exception of the house plants one) are at least 10 minutes long, where it seems like most of his old ones were shorter unless they were "special" (like a DITL or baking vid).
Do you think he's adjusting his video length to fit the YouTube algorithm? I personally didn't think the quiz video needed to be 10 minutes long, and it did seem like it was dragged out a bit.
Maybe I'm overthinking lmao
lol, i thought the same when dan uploaded his video:

10:59 I Nearly Blinded Myself
10:12 Taking Quizzes About Myself!

maybe they had a discussion :lol: :lol: or it was just a coincidence.
yeah that's the thing... Dans videos haven't been past the ten-minute-mark until the most recent one, but Phil's have been for about 4 months now
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Ticia wrote:

31:58 onwards. I'm guessing this is part of the coming shitstorm Dan keeps mentioning
I really hope it is part of it. It's been literally 9/10 months since they talked about this whole voice over thing. Will it ever come out this year is the question.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

starlight-still wrote:More re: new AP
I can see why on the surface, Phil’s new video seems like it’s just a boring, maybe even lazy, effort to some. But the main takeaway that I got from the new AP is “hey phandom, I appreciate all the lovely things you say about me, but I have other sides to myself that I may want to start sharing more of soon.” Which is probably why I’m so over it. Warning: this post is a disorganized mish mash of emotions and analysis…but something I wanted to say nonetheless.

Both of them seem to be slowly chipping away (or at least confronting) their personas and evolving them into something new.

Dan’s a bit bolder, but still moving at a pace that’s comfortable for him. Attraction mentions. Diss track. Wavy hair. Opinions. Confrontation. Accepting compliments.

Phil is keeping it subtle, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t moving at all. I think he may have actually put some thought into the structure of the video. How can I separate AP from who I am behind the scenes while keeping it light and entertaining? OK, there are all these AP quizzes out there. What if I took them? Would I even score as "myself"?

So the answer was, more or less, “yes” especially when he picked what was expected (but also had an argument for each of those choices). But, in between the obvious answer choices we got little revelations. The photo shoot story. The “I used to be not so confident and I haven’t forgotten about it” remark. Just seeing his reaction to the “beautiful, gorgeous, angel bean, ball of sunshine, etc.” type comments that we read every day; mostly flattered, maybe even a little bit genuinely surprised and touched but also saddened. He seemed to be saying, “I get why this is something that appeals, especially to the younger audience- heck, I could’ve probably used it when I was their age.”

Glimpses at what could be coming soon: Deadpan delivery. More that 100% nerdy (maybe about even more than video games and anime and such). “I’m calling the police.” “Phil 100%....wahahaha.” “Yaaaay.”

Who is this glasses-wearing, fringeless, bean-hating, goose-loving, stubbly, non-smiling, morning strolling, fancy ass, moth-tossing, bare-footed, pants-less, blinky (look at the last 20 seconds), sneaky weasel indeed.

I can’t imagine for a second that one of them (Dan) is moving in a new direction without the other.
Technically, I doubt he’s really just limited himself to the level of skills we see on display on AP. Same with his ability to create original, high quality work. It’s in there. We’ve just gotta be patient.
This To be honest, I think that they're moving towards a new era, and they're just nitpicking to see what their audience's response will be- positive or not. It's a big risk, but it's better than staying with the same formula if they're not comfortable with it right now. Dan is taking bigger steps, while Phil is subtly doing his job. I hope that we'll see a different AP soon, and by different, I mean- more opinions, more openness, and.. more glasses because Phil in glasses is just
Last edited by CallMeAyana on Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Philena wrote:coffeepenguin, please don't go back into lurkdom. You made some great points that were quite interesting and, frankly, are worth more discussion!

Same comment goes to mermaid blood. We need you guys to come out and play more often.
Totally. No one's opinion is worth any more or less than anyone else's and as it happens coffeepenguin's post along with alittledizzy's made me think the most

I'm all for enjoying what we enjoy just because we enjoy it and the same goes for making what you feel happy making. It's something that gets lost so easily in trying to do things well, right, etc. Maybe those older videos were simply part of Phil's journey to where he is now and we can enjoy them for themselves. He does seem happy, though he said in Tabinof that he's come a long way but "not the flaming hawk I want to be", but then he's not yet 30, there's plenty of life to be lived yet.

As I said, I loved this video. He was funny, throwing in the little scorpion you could almost miss and the "who are you?" jab at otherPhil. There's more I could say on that and this discussion, but tbh my brain's a bit frazzled.
anathema
morning quiff

mermaid blood wrote:
i...liked the video?

As alittledizzy said, they're taking big risks lately off-youtube, and they're paying off. that is coming at a compromised deal with some safe uploads. i agree with human, i can't STAND watching them when they're bored. i'm the first to moan. but i can't say i'm feeling it lately at all. they just seem...happier? more confident. not so wired. (not counting Dan's moods and periods of doubt, which aren't going away anytime soon as per some liveshows). in contrast again, Phil has been so expressive and honest his last few, i'm enjoying this return to nearly 2012 levels. so maybe i'm subconsciously giving Phil a pass for filler vids because he's genuinely making me smile lately? idk. i haven't wondered if he's a cereal robot hawk in at least a month.

genuine question: are there people who lean more towards Phil who are bored by him lately? i see a lot of negative Phil opinion mainly expressed from people who are self-confessed Dan-relators, whereas Dan seems to attract all angles in his criticism/commentary.

edit:
well, shit, i think this is the first time i've ever agreed with anything you've written, danphil333. lmfao.
danphil333 wrote:are you telling me that dan somehow is held to some higher standards? higher than phil? for his yt content? in 2016? what? i dont get it sorry. i am completely honest.

i mean look at dans last video. It was a sit-down, vloggy, story time type of video with some sketches thrown in there. everyone lost their fucking mind by how incredible it was. It got so much praise for how interesting and exciting it was. No mention of originality, creativity or whatever. Noone, Never said anything about dan lacking ideas, effort or originality in his videos. People even enjoy ISG the pinnacle of Dans creativity and originality like catallena said

now look at phils videos (the last one is not the best example tbh) but his content is basically casual, sit-down, storytelling videos. the typical vloggy style. a couple of crappy sketches here and there. that what he always does. Some people think its boring, uninspired. they are dissapointed because they want sth more creative and original from phil. i cant event count how many times i read the same "it was nothing groundbreaking or original" for phils videos

what i am trying to say is that dans last video was the closest he will ever get to the "phil type of content" and people loved it. That content is all they want from dan.
and still the same people give phil so much crap for his own content because it wasnt "creative" or "original" enough for their standards
i'd add to that:
Dan did take creative license and did 'more' last year, and he was thoroughly roasted and ridiculed to the point where he didn't want to upload the footage or speak about the process of making the trailer that he apparently so enjoyed, even though he promised it about 4 times.

and yeah yeah i know, art is risk. but it's kind of expected that notoriously hesitant and private creators are gun shy, or maybe just at capacity when they push their own boundaries off-youtube.
+100 to everything, especially the part outside the spoiler
CallMeAyana wrote:I think that people are expecting Phil to be more creative because people see his channel to be the more creative of the two, whilst Dan is the more #relatableguy or the "guy who fails a lot". I hope you guys know where I'm getting. I think it's a matter of their brands, really. I know that they both have the "creative" brand, but it's more emphasized on Phil since Dan also has the "relatable" brand and the "reasons why Dan's a fail" brand, over-powering the "creative" brand that he's aiming to be.
To be honest, after TATINOF, I think that they're losing their steam, and I hope that they'll comeback before they become irrelevant not-too-creative.
Yep yep yep.
Catallena wrote:
human wrote:Just been reading back and I feel kinda alone in thinking that this was a bit of a sad effort from Phil. I mean, the not going to leave home without Dan comment was adorable... but people give Dan grief for not uploading and for forgetting about his channel. However, I actually feel like the last 3 or so months in particular Dan's been back to his best tbh. And Phil is a highly educated video editor and producer with a masters and we get quizzes and a scorpion walking along his carpet? He's capable of so much more and I feel so desperate to see it. I just don't feel like we will at the moment.

I feel more worried about his content and channel to be honest because Dan's views have been exploding lately but Phil just doesn't seem inspired. And including into that how bored he seems of Undertale, I'm starting to feel bored of seeing him be bored all the time.

It was a nice video but wouldn't rewatch and still waiting for something really creative, to indicate even a smidge of what we all know he is capable of sharing with us. Sigh.

Don't mind me, miss grouchy lol.
Phil is just kept to a far lower standard than Dan because.. well. Look critically at what the AP channel is. It has hardly ever been the truly creative outlet we want it to be. Like the phandom thinks the pinnacle of Phil's creativity and originality is the 7SC and he didn't even actually invent that game at all. Honestly anything that isn't just your standard filler vlog is actually above average AP content for me.
And I have a feeling that Phil's Masters is already long out of date... He never really edits anything but simple things that were filmed with 1 one camera and professional lighting (and for the gaming channel with a screen recorder). The second Krave challenge, something that wasn't filmed with a vlogging set up but with multiple camera's and without professional lighting, was edited by Jack Howard. That should've been a thing Phil could've taken on with ease but he didn't (I don't remember if they were very busy at the time as that could also be a reason but I don't think so?). He never really challenges himself and the FCP software of 2016 is probably quite different from the FCP in 2009 that he used for his degree*. If he never uses anything but the basics that hardly matters (and keyframing a scorpion or whatever across your screen honestly is pretty basic, any moronic fanvideo maker with some knowledge of Vegas and too much time on their hands can do it) but I imagine it does make a difference with many other things that Phil never does. If he never kept up with the software in detail and never really polished up his skills since receiving his diploma, his degree is hardly worth much these days. It just looks nice on paper.

*Disclaimer: I have no knowledge of FCP or how much it changed since Phil graduated, I have never used it in my life as I actually am (or more accurately was) one of those moronic fanvideo makers with too much time on her hands and basic Sony Vegas skills.

Ticia wrote:
I was actually just thinking about this! I guess Dan wasn't exaggerating when he said we'd find out in a year :sobs: I hope they talk about it soon though.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
majitzu
angel bean

human you have make me remember that yesterday was the 1st anniversary of "Draw phil naked" death

wowza
banned

I have been lurking on this website for ages, I decided to join now because I found this post on Tumblr about how some phan shippers can get out of hand. I think it's something important that everyone who watches Dan and Phil needs to read.
http://phandom-rants.tumblr.com/post/15 ... n-shippers

I also agree with this one: http://phandom-rants.tumblr.com/post/15 ... andor-phil this situation has been getting really bad lately

Does anyone else feel like the phandom has gotten out of hand recently?
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I have nothing of interest to say other than I really enjoyed everyone's posts and it's nice to see a Phil centred discussion for a change!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Wow we're actually having a Phil-centric coversation when I'm on my my to a cabin with no wifi for three days. :shock:

I'll state my thoughts quickly but danphil333 dizzy starlight-still

But Id also like to respond to humans question because it's a great one: I honestly have recently been more judgmental on both their contents. And I agree that Phil's recent content hasn't been the most inspiring, I even made rant posts about it but I enjoyed this video a lot. I think as a long time Ap fan I'm used to his content being consistent and the only video I rule disliked was the houseplant video. I actually enjoy that Phil made a video solo that was reminiscent of his old videos but I didn't find it inspiring. I still really enjoyed it but didn't thing it was amazing. I saw it more Phil in it which I truly loved so I can't say I was completely dissatisfied ;) . vincentian thank you so much, your post was beautiful. I think Phil is hilarious and I want to see more of his sarcastic sass that comes out in videos. He is slowly updating his persona and im living for it.

As catallena said we put Phil in a unrealistic light and expect him to always be creative (I am guilty of this but I've been reassessing it recently) when the current youtube demographic seems to enjoy mindless content above creative ones. I think Phil did this video more as an appreciation to the quizzes then anything. That being said I always held him in a high standard and don't see him as inspired towards his channel anymore. I think he's been successful in keeping people happy but I don't see him putting as much effort as he did initially starting off. I think he's outgrown youtube in a way and maybe wants to channel himself into different outlets. I have to wait for the year to play out before making any conclusions but yea, recent videos were less of Phil effort then I expected them to be.

I want him to eventually wean off youtube and go into storytelling or book writing . His portion in TABINOF was one of my fave parts in the book and I can see him expanding on that. I think now his youtube is more built for keeping a smile on peoples faces then anything. It makes sense, people grow and their interests expand and that might be the case for Phil. His channel is now more for keeping his fan satisfied and I really appreciate his dedication and his ability to remain relevant and loveable for so long but I think he can still do that, just in a different outlet.

I always want to see drama Phil. The guy signed up for Big Brother which is basically a show where you're recorded 24/7 so I know he, atleast in one point in his life, was a drama looking attention whore and I want more!! His unproblematic cinnamon roll image is slowly breaking away but I want more :D (jk it's up to him if he wants to be problematic but I would totally live for shady Phil)

What I disagree with is the comparison to Dans content. Honestly their content has the same levels of creativity yet people seem to enjoy Dans more. People tend to enjoy Dans content more because he's very bold and relatable. He ha the male attractions, the good looks and the relatable persona which seems to reasonate with people more therefore his content is more enjoyable. Also I feel that you were making a point that Phil is judged less harshly which is true but look at their subscribers: it's harder to say someone doesn't deserve their subscribers when it's less so that also may be a point to consider. I don't agree with this and encourage more people to be more vocal if they dislike something. Trust me all Phil fans aren't sensitive overprotective squad members (okay only sometimes) but I want people to respect him enough to honestly critique him so I really appreciate you bringing it up human :platonic:

Overall I do want to see more from Dan AND Phil but I honestly hate the comparisons. We shouldn't put one down to make the point that a others better. They are both individuals with different personalities and styles with approaching things so I don't really get the comparisons and in frankly tired of them. Phil is Phil, Dan is Dan. They are related but they are in different genres of youtube and should be respected in that sense.

(This was supposed to be short )
fancybum
senpai

wowza wrote:I have been lurking on this website for ages, I decided to join now because I found this post on Tumblr about how some phan shippers can get out of hand. I think it's something important that everyone who watches Dan and Phil needs to read.

I also agree with this one: http://phandom-rants.tumblr.com/post/15 ... andor-phil this situation has been getting really bad lately

Mm hmm you just stumbled across it, did you?
No, the phandom is both as out of hand and as calm as it's ever been. It's losing and gaining members (more so gaining), but the ratio of annoying/problematic/artistic/hilarious people is about the same as ever. And clearly the phandom police officers are still going strong.

Those posts are full of bullshit as reactionary as anything phannies come up with. Flawed premises abound, as if everyone will agree that D&P use the idea of phan being real to sell more shit. Get away from me if you think everybody is fine with the assumption that people they enjoy and respect are intentionally manipulating their fans' perceptions purely for profit. I want to take all of that bullshit down piece by piece but dammit I'm busy today and also just rolling my eyes is more than it deserves anyway. All of that's already been talked to death around here.

Anyway really loving the Phil discussions I don't have time to add anything but I'm nodding vigorously at all the good stuff being discussed.

(ALSO still waiting to see what, if anything, comes from Phil being partnered (or whatever) with NewFormDigital. They're always full of surprises..)
Last edited by fancybum on Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
mio
#relatable

Late to the party but enjoying all your opinions on Phils video.

The video was nice and certainly had some cute lines which have been mentioned before and bless Phil with his hair back and glasses , but. It still left me with a sour feeling.
It's really hard to put into words though and I hope I don't sound too much of a hater because I'm not :platonic:

The issue I have with it isn't about it the general happy bubbly style and content of AP (which is what he does, and that's totally fine), the editing levels or whatnot, it's the topic. Taking quizzes about yourself? Just seemed repetitive and like bathing in your own lore (does this sentence make sense at all). He could literally react to anything else and give us more of substance.

I just found it sad because lately I've been enjoying his videos more and more, especially the collabs he did this year. Maybe it's because Deppy have so much branding and marketing of themselves going on lately, with the book and the tour, that this one was just a little too much for me.

If this was a video from a vlogger uploading every other day it'd be totally fine but considering his upload schedule and the pre-announcements on the liveshows... it was just a bit underwhelming.

I don't think he's being held to a higher standard than Dan here either, I mean the DINOF video was telling a whole hilarious story we didn't know about yet, all with scripted funny lines and scetches and a lot of editing and little details involved, while the AP was, well, Phil sitting on his bed taking quizzes. I don't find it weird that people will be more excited about Dans video.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

fancybum wrote: No, the phandom is both as out of hand and as calm as it's ever been. It's losing and gaining members (more so gaining), but the ratio of annoying/problematic/artistic/hilarious people is about the same as ever. And clearly the phandom police officers are still going strong.

Those posts are full of bullshit as reactionary as anything phannies come up with. Flawed premises abound, as if everyone will agree that D&P use the idea of phan being real to sell more shit. Get away from me if you're assuming everybody is fine with the assumption that people they enjoy and respect are intentionally manipulating their fans' perceptions purely for profit. I want to take all of that bullshit down piece by piece but dammit I'm busy today and also just rolling my eyes is more than it deserves anyway. All of that's already been talked to death around here.

:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

wowza wrote:I have been lurking on this website for ages, I decided to join now because I found this post on Tumblr about how some phan shippers can get out of hand. I think it's something important that everyone who watches Dan and Phil needs to read.

To be honest, I think that they're just going with the flow lately, and since they did, things have been going smoothly for them (as smooth as it can be). I think they're kinda fine with the notion of "phan" these days as they seem to be unaffected by it (from what I can see, anyways). I think that they got past the "anti-phan" phase (or something), and is now just enjoying life because (imo) they don't give af on what others are saying because right now, they're with their "significant other" and it's all that matters.
(I don't want to discuss about Dan's nails, so.. I'll just leave it at that.)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

fancybum wrote:

Mm hmm you just stumbled across it, did you?
No, the phandom is both as out of hand and as calm as it's ever been. It's losing and gaining members (more so gaining), but the ratio of annoying/problematic/artistic/hilarious people is about the same as ever. And clearly the phandom police officers are still going strong.

Those posts are full of bullshit as reactionary as anything phannies come up with. Flawed premises abound, as if everyone will agree that D&P use the idea of phan being real to sell more shit. Get away from me if you think everybody is fine with the assumption that people they enjoy and respect are intentionally manipulating their fans' perceptions purely for profit. I want to take all of that bullshit down piece by piece but dammit I'm busy today and also just rolling my eyes is more than it deserves anyway. All of that's already been talked to death around here.

Anyway really loving the Phil discussions I don't have time to add anything but I'm nodding vigorously at all the good stuff being discussed.
Agree with everything. I hate people who act like Dan and Phil are some sellouts. Look at the German YouTube-scene and I'll show you sellouts.
However, the posts are right about one thing: the harassment is an issue. Even if it's always been like this (I don't know, I'm new), I always cringe so hard when people spam them with "Do pastel edits" or "Where's Phil/Dan?" in the liveshows, twitter comments, etc. Or when they just announce a tour in Australia, everyone spams them with the place they want them to come to next. Give them a break, people! Let them breathe... We will be able to see the show as a documentary. Yes, meeting them is nice but not everyone can. That's how it is. I don't want them to tour again unless they genuinely want to do that. And if that's the case, they should do it in their own time. As people who love spending time at home, it must be quite stressful to spend so much time in tour busses and hotel rooms. Of course I am pretty sure they had a lot of fun as well and they seem really happy, but I think Dan mentioned that he's glad when all of it is over.
And the harassment of people they collaborate with is also very, very bad. So many people hate Cat just because she is "in the way of phan". She is not. If Phan is real, it's real and nobody will change that. And if not, then Dan and Phil deserve to be happy with whoever they want. Besides, neither of them seems to be interested in Cat if I'm being honest.

Also as I was scrolling through tumblr I saw two photos that really annoyed me. I know they are everywhere and I will see them every day but these are the ones I just saw today. People obviously took photos of Dan and Phil without asking them. I do think they knew they were being photographed but that doesn't matter. They were at an airport and people went full on paparazzi mode. It's so disrespectful and I hate it so much!

pulvis et umbra sumus
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

mio wrote:The issue I have with it isn't about it the general happy bubbly style and content of AP (which is what he does, and that's totally fine), the editing levels or whatnot, it's the topic. Taking quizzes about yourself? Just seemed repetitive and like bathing in your own lore (does this sentence make sense at all). He could literally react to anything else and give us more of substance.
I understand what you're saying, I just think it's a personal opinion and not a valid widespread critique. And it's definitely not an opinion representative of the fandom. Dan's video "bathing in his own lore" (the memes video) is his most viewed one this year. His second most popular video was reacting his childhood videos, and there's nothing creative or original about that and it's also just Dan reacting to something about himself.

It is fine for people to want different things out of Phil's videos, of course. But it's also not a failing of Phil when he doesn't meet people's individual expectations if what he's doing is a) still widely popular and enjoyed, which this video certainly is - it's at 850k views in less than a day, it'll hit a million in under a couple of days b) what he wants to be making.

This really just takes me back around to my original point: there's no rule that says they have to be about substance. They can just be entertainers and it's not breaking some unspoken rule.

Those posts are the best example of 'sad but hectic wanking' I've seen in a long time, so this one's dedicated right to them:

Simple answer: No. No, phandom isn't suddenly out of hand lately. Complex answer: Too long to bother with. Are there genuine issues people could take up with the phandom? Absolutely. Does that post express or validate any of them? Nope. Even the harassment: they chose to highlight Hazel, who got like two tweets? No. Get back to me when someone wants to discuss real problems with fan behaviors and not just subtly trying to boast that they're a better fan because of bullshit reasons.

There are about a dozen things in the first post alone that I don't just disagree with but am lowkey furious about. Just gonna quote fancybum bc this summarizes what I feel:
fancybum wrote:Those posts are full of bullshit as reactionary as anything phannies come up with. Flawed premises abound, as if everyone will agree that D&P use the idea of phan being real to sell more shit. Get away from me if you think everybody is fine with the assumption that people they enjoy and respect are intentionally manipulating their fans' perceptions purely for profit. I want to take all of that bullshit down piece by piece but dammit I'm busy today and also just rolling my eyes is more than it deserves anyway. All of that's already been talked to death around here.
fakelights
living flop

What a great post, kuensukki . I agree with all the points you made, bar the wanting Phil to be problematic one. I love some drama, but don’t actually want him involved in a not so great one :D (but where are the people with dirt on him? come on I’m bored)

Also agreeing with other posters here (danphil333, catallena, flarequake, starlight-still, alittledizzy etc). It’s great to see some discussion directly towards Phil for once. All the comparing the two of them, especially where it doesn’t fit, is so bleh to me. Sure they do things together more often than not, but the premise to their own channels is not on the same category most of the time.
mermaid blood wrote: genuine question: are there people who lean more towards Phil who are bored by him lately? i see a lot of negative Phil opinion mainly expressed from people who are self-confessed Dan-relators, whereas Dan seems to attract all angles in his criticism/commentary.
I’m not bored, I just know he can do something different and put a little bit more effort on his YouTube content and sometimes I don’t think it shows on what he is doing lately on his videos. Like the new AP video, if it was uploaded on LAP I would think it’s great and all the good things I could say about it bla bla bla, but on AP looks like it was a low effort and almost a filler. Which wasn’t a bad thing, just not that exciting. And at the same time I can see why he’s not trying to do anything different, why change something that is working? As long as he is happy with what he puts out and still have a good audience that watches it, it’s good for him. Yes I would like him to mix things up, but he’s still putting a smile on my face and that’s all I could ask him to do.

Vincentian and coffeepenguin do bring some great points. That’s how I see it too. While I think Phil really enjoy making videos, I think there’s no denial that he sees it as a job (a way to make money, if you will) and that earlier on he pursued the YouTube thing to get recognition and maybe fame. Nothing wrong with that

(this post is a mess, hi)
edit:
fancybum wrote: (ALSO still waiting to see what, if anything, comes from Phil being partnered (or whatever) with NewFormDigital. They're always full of surprises..)
THIS!!!! I'm sitting here waiting for something to happen about it. Don't let me down, Phil!
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Also another quick thing to add: Dans 2012 phase helped him greatly, especially with the transformation he went through that was so distinct, even in his content. Phil on the other hand has remained consistent with his online image. Do you think that worked against Phil in the long run? It surely helped Dan because people applaud him for how far he's come yet we don't do the same for Phil even though he's come a long way. He started off this awkward white kid trying to find acceptance in his peers and look how far he's come now. His change was more in 2012 and even now he's a different man then he was in the past. He has become more confident then he used to be. He was scared at calling a hairdresser and now he's performing on stage and slowly putting himself more out there yet we never discuss how far he's come. This could also be related to content appraisal and how people seem more satisfied or dissatisfied with one or the other. Id love to hear more thoughts on this

Salty philgirl rant
Also I know people use the excuse that Phil doesn't do much but a video is doing something and I expect the same amount of responses for both Dan and Phil's videos. We can't have 5 pages to one while 2 for another so please post your thoughts- whether they are negative or positive

Okay rant over
bear
hobbit hair

A bit off topic, but 5 years ago to this day is when the voldy video leaked.
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

fakelights wrote:
fancybum wrote: (ALSO still waiting to see what, if anything, comes from Phil being partnered (or whatever) with NewFormDigital. They're always full of surprises..)
THIS!!!! I'm sitting here waiting for something to happen about it. Don't let me down, Phil!
Are we sure that NewFormDigital aren't the producers of tatinof/the documentary? I know their site says they produce short films and series but could that also be a possibility?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I liked Phil's video but like many others have stated I also don't watch Phil (or Dan) with the hopes their content is going to challenge me or even because I think it particularly creative or artistic stuff (sorry boys). The only thing I'm looking for when I watch them is 5-10 minutes of mindless entertainment. Which admittedly D&P can deliver for me personally with very very little effort on their part because something about them just gives me warm and fuzzy feelings. I'm an extremely easy to to please fan in their case.
alittledizzy wrote:
mio wrote: Even the harassment: they chose to highlight Hazel, who got like two tweets? No. Get back to me when someone wants to discuss real problems with fan behaviors and not just subtly trying to boast that they're a better fan because of bullshit reasons.
This. Using Hazel as the example of the phandom taking harassment too far automatically loses the argument any credibility it may have had (which in this case wasn't a lot to begin with). I'm not saying there wasn't any comments in regards to this but honestly I'd be willing to say if she called anyone with a predominately teenage fanbase bae then there was going to be comments made like he is my bae (or even he is Dan's bae in the Phandom's case). These type of comments might be a little cringey but they are not particularly problematic nor or they threatening or abusive. There was no reason that ever should have became a big thing.

And if anyone harassed Hazel it was the over zealous phandom police tripping over themselves to apologise and praise her after she made her unnecessary attention seeking tweet about a few minor comments she received. The apologies and self-righteous blog posts about it must have out-weighed the "abuse" 10 to 1.

[offtopic]Admittedly I think I only felt the need to comment on this because I feel particularly salty toward Hazel right now as I just decided to watch her last time of the month where she and Dodie call an ambulance for Dodies sprained ankle and then spend the rest of the month loling about it. Because you know there's nothing funnier than unnecessarily taking essential medical resources away from those who might really need them and putting even more of a financial burden on the already struggling NHS. Way to go girls. :facepalm: Rant over.[/offtopic]