Dan & Phil part 32...and what a thicc thread it was

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
koalaselfie
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:19:40 - An actual video game boob mention and Dan restates twice "I'm not being weird, am I?" and still doesn't sexualize them.
20:09 and 30 seconds later they're both leaning into the screen to study naked Dil in the shower and see if he has abs.
This, and the complete lack of reaction to seeing the girl's pants in Yandere Simulator, other than saying that people should wear whatever underwear they want to.
I don't care whether it's because neither of them is actually attracted to women, or that they're conscious that they're being watched by thousands of impressionable teenagers, many of whom are girls, it's really nice to relax and watch them without them being creepily sexual towards women. I infinitely prefer this Dan to the 2012 fuckboi. :thumb: character development
I agree, both of their character development is great...but Dan does say straight after the "is that weird?" comments something like: "Filled with all of that delicious lactose" (at 19:44). Isn't that still a bit questionable?

EDIT: Ofc this post is top of the page. eeeek :thumb:
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
corn flakes
moon room

gnostic wrote:I understand differing social background ebtween objectifying men and women, but stanning Dan for paying no attention to female's attractiveness while straight up YASsing at him ogling naked pixel butt and abs (yeah in half joking way but I assure you most youtubers commenting on Yandere-chan's panties are also joking) seems odd to me. Just me again?
No, I'm also in this, but like BisexualShoeMarriage has said we tend to be more okay when one talks like that about their own gender, maybe we perceive it as less threating? just look at that yandere game or how the initial reaction from the glozell-dan moment was of fun; idk, that's a whole other discussion.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

melon lord wrote:
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote: I do see your point, and I think it's a valid one. For me it is partly the general social context of a lot of men objectifying women so it being refreshing to see some men not doing that, and also that I'm more comfortable with people sexualising members of their own gender. It does make me uncomfortable, for example on Strictly Come Dancing, when the female hosts repeatedly make unnecessary comments about the attractiveness of a male celebrity or professional. You could argue that I'm just uncomfortable with heterosexuality, but at least consciously, I find it less problematic when people enthuse about the attractiveness of members of their own gender, because they aren't diminishing the value of the entire group, since they are part of it. Does that make sense? I'm aware that the logic of all this isn't really watertight. It's more a general sense of how I feel.
Kind of like when girls saying compliments about you (assuming you're also a girl) is less weird/creepy/threatening than a guy saying the same things? Maybe it's just that I've had bad experiences with guys complimenting me because it always goes into a gross direction :facepalm: Not sassing you, genuinely trying to add to the conversation
I think you're probably understanding what I mean, but since I'm non-binary I can't really answer that question any more deeply without going completely off topic and talking about my own gender.
Birdie
blobfish

gnostic wrote:I understand differing social background ebtween objectifying men and women, but stanning Dan for paying no attention to female's attractiveness while straight up YASsing at him ogling naked pixel butt and abs (yeah in half joking way but I assure you most youtubers commenting on Yandere-chan's panties are also joking) seems odd to me. Just me again?
To be honest I didn't find the mention of Dil's abs or the famous mirror butt in any way sexual. Mirror butt is a running gag that didn't originate from them oggling Dil but from Phil noticing you could see Dil's butt in the mirror. The ab thing... Dan also noticed when Dil got a bit fat a few videos ago. He just notices when Dil changes and it didn't sound sexual to me at all. He just noticed Dil had abs now. If we weren't literally talking about a video game character I'd say Dan sounded "proud" of his digital son for having become fit. :lol: Nothing sexual there, certainly no objectification. Or am I just not picking up on it?

I do agree that there's a general problem though. People feel (rightfully) uncomfortable about men objectifying women but men (or women) objectifying other men often gets a free pass. So yes, this is totally a real problem, I just don't see it in this instance. :)
melon lord
morning quiff

[quote="BisexualShoeMarriage"
I think you're probably understanding what I mean, but since I'm non-binary I can't really answer that question any more deeply without going completely off topic and talking about my own gender.[/quote]

That's okay! I understand! :platonic:

I guess it's down to how we perceive the compliment (or comment in general). Sometimes I feel like compliments should be said with your inside voice :lol: I mean, I'm very "drool-y" over the boys here but I wouldn't repeat it to their faces. Or don't compliment someone if you're expecting something in return. Or think about what you're complimenting them on. Sometimes I've noticed people mean well with their compliment but it comes off as very objectifying. Like I've seen guys be like "I love your huge boobs" to girls with big breasts and it's really weird, like my skin kind of shriveled at that. I know to them it sounds like a nice thing to hear but it sounds so detached, like it's that the boobs are big, not that they are hers, or her body is nice, or her mind is nice which compliments her body, etc etc.

Idk, it's weird. I do think they have matured in that sense and don't talk so much like frat boys, or maybe it's to appeal to the #relatable demographic which is primarily female and/or attracted to men. Although that doesn't sound like them, they are good guys, but like all of us, we learn in baby steps.

sentinel
lady door

eevee wrote:
sentinel wrote: OffTopic, but: this dude has a plausible theory on what's happening with the algorithm (4:05 forwards, specifically 5.50).
Basically, he thinks that for the first time yt counter is showing only the monetized views, meaning only the ones who have had ads running on them are counted as view. That explains why their views have not dropped that much compared other people's - the more viewers you have, the bigger number of people will have adblock enabled. If 30% of viewers use adblock, that would be a significant drop in views for a youtuber that usually pulls 3 million people (about -900 000). Since DAPG usually pulls around 1.2 million that's a loss of about 350 000 people so that's why they hover around 800 000 - 900 000 views. Anyone thoughts? (um I'm calculating this in my head and I'm not good at maths so sorry if my estimates are off.)
You're right, about 30% of YT viewers use an ad blocker, apparently which is surprising to me honestly, I thought it would be a higher percentage. And according to this youtuber, Youtube does indeed know how many views were watched by someone with adblock and how many were not. so the theory makes sense, although sucks. Swofro brings up a good point though, what about videos that have no ads at all? Maybe they're an exception... anyway, I recommend watching the video though, it's pretty interesting. Except in the beginning he goes on about not relying on the buggy subbox to see new videos...we know...
[offtopic]I'd assume there's a difference between ads that google runs and they get all the money (1) vs. ad sense where they split the profit between themselves and creators(2). In theory they should be selling ads based on views generated by the second model and therefore the only views that actually matter are the monetized ones? Idk tho[/offtopic]
yupitsme
sofa crease

dannonfill wrote:Dan's on brand today
Lovely picture! But that does anyone know what that 'flap' on his right thigh is? Is he wearing a shirt with an asymmetric hem?
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

koalaselfie wrote:
BisexualShoeMarriage wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:19:40 - An actual video game boob mention and Dan restates twice "I'm not being weird, am I?" and still doesn't sexualize them.
20:09 and 30 seconds later they're both leaning into the screen to study naked Dil in the shower and see if he has abs.
This, and the complete lack of reaction to seeing the girl's pants in Yandere Simulator, other than saying that people should wear whatever underwear they want to.
I don't care whether it's because neither of them is actually attracted to women, or that they're conscious that they're being watched by thousands of impressionable teenagers, many of whom are girls, it's really nice to relax and watch them without them being creepily sexual towards women. I infinitely prefer this Dan to the 2012 fuckboi. :thumb: character development
I agree, both of their character development is great...but Dan does say straight after the "is that weird?" comments something like: "Filled with all of that delicious lactose" (at 19:44). Isn't that still a bit questionable?

EDIT: Ofc this post is top of the page. eeeek :thumb:
I don't think it's questionable to say "filled with delicious lactose" because what he's doing is acknowledging that they're bigger because she's pregnant, and they're preparing to feed a baby on milk (which contains lactose). If he'd made a comment about Dil enjoying them being bigger, or alluded to the kink of adults drinking their partner's breast milk, or commented in a general sense that bigger boobs are sexier, I would have found that questionable and maybe uncomfortable. But what he did say was focused entirely on the primary purpose of boobs, which is to produce milk to feed an infant. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and it was refreshing to hear someone who doesn't have boobs themselves talking about boobs in a non-sexual sense.

edited to add:
yupitsme wrote:Lovely picture! But that does anyone know what that 'flap' on his right thigh is? Is he wearing a shirt with an asymmetric hem?
The "flap" is part of the design of the trousers.
MoonPride
moon room

Waiting up for this undertale video will be the death of me. I don't even like the game?

Why didn't anyone tell me that being in the phandom was addictive?
malday
emo goose

MoonPride wrote:Waiting up for this undertale video will be the death of me. I don't even like the game?

Why didn't anyone tell me that being in the phandom was addictive?
its up
MoonPride
moon room

Do Deppy both have the same Pokemon shirt because I have seen Phil wearing that shirt.
iero
phabergé

off topic but do we know what a-levels dan did other than geography and english literature
sentinel
lady door

malday wrote: its up
Them getting to the gay romance was so anti climatic after so much speculation
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

TATINOF2 - A tragic tale of two star-crossed lovers, kept apart by the tides of fate.

I'm done.

(I love Phil)

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

malday
emo goose

sentinel wrote:
yes, as soon as i heard Dan saying "senpai" i though oh so that's how they're gonna play it off.
gnostic
stress mushroom

And everyone who for some reason expected much from Deppy seeing the guards is left completely, but predictably, underwhelmed
Just here for the marketing skills
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

iero wrote:off topic but do we know what a-levels dan did other than geography and english literature
If I remember correctly, he also did law and psychology

Edit: Yup, he says it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCos6qkU25I
Last edited by Moonbeamsonthepath on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MoonPride
moon room

Well I really enjoyed that video. The bants were great and left me laughing out loud a lot.
melon lord
morning quiff

I looooooved this video omygosh

December is going to be so lit

I loved everything about it

I'm one of those nerds that have seen a bazillion lets plays of the game and yet still their playthrough is as amusing as if I'm seeing it for the first time

I wish they'd battled Muffet although I do understand why they didn't, that's kind of the "point" of the food, to get you out of fighting her

SquishPhan
capita£ester

A really enjoyable Undertale episode.
Love how in sync these two are.
I thought they handled the bro turning lover story well.
They apparently recently found out that Phil is reading challenged. I like the use of ‘we’ in that part.
A nice domestic story about spiders.
Seems like the production value of TATINOF was really expensive.
They would go to prom with Mettaton, and Phil would slow dance with him(?)/them. :D
Dan is now named dadisnotonfire if you click on his circle to subscribe. :lol: Phil is amazingphilosoraptor.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

sentinel wrote:
had to partially cover my eyes but they handled it better than i thought (i was genuinely nervous they'd be awkward) apart from that it was good, they actually got further than i thought, not long to go now considering they said it'll be done by end of december, im enjoying it still but also kind of hoping for them to get to the end, wonder if they'll start to play another long series afterwards? they've kept dil going but undertale took a while cus the episodes are long, does anyone think they'll do another? like i thought life is strange would be nice for them to play but thats longer than most undertale episodes for each. (maybe they could play portal/halo/mario kart again pls ;) )
:biflag: :blackheart:
eevee
emo goose

Anonymousse wrote:TATINOF2 - A tragic tale of two star-crossed lovers, kept apart by the tides of fate.

I'm done.

(I love Phil)
Stage show, TATINOF! A tale of two star-crossed lovers.
*phandom waits for Dan to go "oh wait, never mind, not like TATINOF" however nothing happens and we move right along*
needless to say I am shook
SquishPhan wrote:They apparently recently found out that Phil is reading challenged. I like the use of ‘we’ in that part.
A nice domestic story about spiders.
Those were both so cute!!

Also, did Phil say he's not wearing pants at one point? :lol: commando? casual

In case we forgot, Dan thinks he looked amazing in the Elsa dress. Also, both said that men can wear dresses if they want.

EDIT: OH and the guards, how could I forget? They were so on board. I live.
Last edited by eevee on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Skeletorsrighthand
living flop

all that hype for the guards scene they acted like nothing
damn i wish they could have at least fought muffet. it feels bad that we spoiled them on how to beat muffet without fighting her.
cant wait for the metaton ex fight. lot of heel turning i presume.
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind! Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I doubt I'm going to watch this a second time through, so (I usually do timestamps on second watch, and with daily uploads don't have enough time to watch them all multiple times) so I'm just going to share what I noticed the first time through.

8:08 - Both of them laughing at the 'can't play with these balls' line.
8:54 - Phil being impressed at Dan knowing roman numerals at a glance, and telling him.
12:08 - Dan reaching out and putting his hand on Phil's arm. Below the camera, but obvious.
17:38 - Dan is obsessed with David S. Pumpkins. Did we know this? I don't think I knew this.
17:50 - More of Phil making jokes at Dan and not the camera.
21:33 - Omg Phil is being such a shit to Dan. I love it. (I think dan does too, considering how long he keeps laughing while Phil is reading the screen.)
22:33 - Dan calls Phil a voracious reader and "we've discovered recently that Phil is reading challenge."
23:20 - "Speak." and wtf
30:46 - Phil being scared of a spider, and not killing it.
32:44 - Head pats.
37:27 - too #relatable, Dan?

The guards part made me antsy and I think it made them antsy too, but I don't think it's because it was a m/m romance playing out. Them knowing exactly what was coming with and that people were anticipating their reaction is what made it awkward. It's that feeling you get when someone gives you a present and wants you to open it in front of them, you're hyperaware of knowing they're watching you and that you need to be super super excited to make sure they think you like it. Even if you do like the present, you're still distracted with making sure your face is doing the right face things so they don't get the wrong idea and think you hate it.

But even despite that, I'm pretty happy with how they played it. They didn't play it down or mock/haru the romance, they just played through and relaxed as soon as that was over.
papierklemmen
flower crown

yeah the guards part was anticlimactic but cute! i'm just glad they can fool around with homoerotic stuff like normal friends and not be weird about it, true bff vibe!
overall nice video, lots of lolz. i'm not sure if they're playing it up or they're generally in a good mood in the latest vids, but i'm enjoying it... more than i enjoyed the moody spooky week vids, which probably says something about me lol. i'll just stick to believing that they are really enjoying themselves while playing these :lol:

also, i guess it's official: "ring the bell to get notifications" is now a thing. oh, youtube and your stupid algorithm changes which make youtubers desperate