Dan & Phil Part 35: knock knock, who’s there, i hate you

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Also Louise isn't only another Youtuber, she's a real life friend of Dan's. She knows him better than any of us ever will and I think she knows what she can do and can't do. She tweeted him the furry video because Dan was the one who told her what furries were. It was a joke. I don't think her fear of having upset him with her tweets was genuine either.
secretagentphan wrote:Honestly this is a reply just in general and about no one in particular but I personally don't think it's that deep. Dan constantly jokes about Furrys and told Louise what they were so seeing a weird furry interview reminded her of him because it's such a Dan thing to joke about. I doubt Dan was offended his reply was very funny and sarcastic. Dan probably makes furry jokes because it's so borderline and he knows that a lot of things in his and Phil's past is suspicious, but I don't believe he's ACTUALLY a furry. I don't think comparing his male attraction statement to his furry jokes is accurate or fair imo
Agreed, especially the bolded part.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Dan is obviously joking about being a furry because Dan never jokes about anything he's seriously into haru pillow it's just not his style Evan Peters, and if he were actually a furry meow he'd only address the topic with utmost respect and gravity choke me dad so that no one got the wrong idea abs and angst.
annetamiau
lady door

Both of them are furries
Last edited by annetamiau on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

alittledizzy wrote:Dan is obviously joking about being a furry because Dan never jokes about anything he's seriously into haru pillow it's just not his style Evan Peters, and if he were actually a furry meow he'd only address the topic with utmost respect and gravity choke me dad so that no one got the wrong idea abs and angst.
Philena
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:Dan is obviously joking about being a furry because Dan never jokes about anything he's seriously into haru pillow it's just not his style Evan Peters, and if he were actually a furry meow he'd only address the topic with utmost respect and gravity choke me dad so that no one got the wrong idea abs and angst.
I'm dying over here!

What's gotten into everyone?! Here, have some fireworks and a drink!
PhilsEyelash
phillion/danosaur <//3

silverwinter wrote:
PhilsEyelash wrote:
silverwinter wrote:can i ask why some people here believe dan to be an "unreliable narrator"? i'm curious bc i don't understand how someone's own experiences about their own life can be considered "unreliable" - it's dan's own life, surely he must be the most reliable narrator there is about the thoughts and feelings he has towards events in his life both now and in retrospect.

(i'm not targeting this to you specifically, pearshaped34 btw. your post just reminded me that some people on this forum have this idea, and i was confused which is why i brought it up.)
The question wasn't directed at me, but my take on it is that people with depressive or gloomy outlooks on life (sometimes medically related to depression, sometimes not), tend to see the world through a bleak lens, discounting all the good things and focusing on / magnifying the bad things.

An unreliable narrator is a term in fiction, so it doesn't necessarily always apply to real life, (I think?), but the idea is the same. If someone always sees the dark side of things maybe they're not remembering with 100% accuracy.

Depression can make everything dark, but also, some people really just struggle with looking on the bright side, without necessarily having mental health issues they deal with. (IDK if Dan does or not...I have at times and it can make it hard to see bright things in the world even if there are just as many as the dark things, or more.)

Well that's just some thoughts of mine on the subject. Not judging Dan tbh. It's hard for me sometimes to think of happy times in the past, too.

<--- supposed to be working tbh
thanks for explaining, this makes more sense! i definitely know what you mean about how depressive states can prevent you from seeing the good in any situation, and it makes sense when applied to dan. my main concern, i suppose, is when it seems like people discount dan's own feelings towards something as him being an unreliable narrator. it's one thing to, like you said, understand that he isn't seeing the past clearly due to the state his mind/mood is in. it's another to dismiss dan being sad or bitter or angry about something as him just being an unreliable narrator who needs to have a rational grasp on his feelings.

i do see the latter idea in this fandom every now and then, and i guess it's just upsetting to see since i don't think anyone's feelings should be invalidated.
I think it's a fine line, really. Sometimes when a person is depressed, outside perspective (calling them on it; reminding them it's their perspective, that some things actually are ok and they will get through this) can be a huge help. It really can. On the other hand, it can be taken too far, like if someone says "but you have nothing to be depressed about." That's invalidating & doesn't help depression at all, can even worsen the spiral (esp if someone knows they have nothing to be depressed about but still are depressed...). I'm not sure it would help a generally negative attitude either since it sounds so dismissive rather than life affirming or helpful in any way.
malday
emo goose

anathema wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Dan is only joking about being a furry to take the heat off of the real fursuit wearing furry in the relationship.
(jk dan's totally a furry too)
How could you forget this?
why aren't these in the attraction thread, hm?
sloppy journalism. :lol:
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Ya but in this case the actual joke is that Dan is a furry. He has legitimitely said 'I am secretly a furry'. He has never jokingly said 'I like guys/I am gay'. He has made a joke out of the Haru pillow b/c he didn't want to talk about it in live shows and has mentioned Evan Peters (though is that really a joke?). I don't think that it is the same thing though
tylerrjoseph
butt chair

happy new year! it appears we'll be seeing a lot more furry tweets if the rest of 2017 follows suit
--> platform 7, manchester picadilly station
swofro
angel bean

Also this:
Love is forever
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

spaceguitar wrote:
Ya but in this case the actual joke is that Dan is a furry. He has legitimitely said 'I am secretly a furry'. He has never jokingly said 'I like guys/I am gay'. He has made a joke out of the Haru pillow b/c he didn't want to talk about it in live shows and has mentioned Evan Peters (though is that really a joke?). I don't think that it is the same thing though

how is that different though? you've just cited what dan jokes about and the reasons you think they're not just a joke. dan has also referred to male attraction and sex acts he may enjoy in pretty funny and non-serious ways. the logic of the pattern is he uses humour as a defence mechanism to protect his true feelings from rejection whilst getting some relief and validation from still revealing them in less risky ways. testing the waters, if you will.

people rejecting and/or finding all these (completely normal) things gross or improbable is probably his fear.
art in avatar by lily
SquishPhan
capita£ester

swofro wrote:Also this:
I really think there is some real, at least, curiosity from them concerning furries.
DryCereal
koi pond

She can't out someone who's been so open (tho maybe not seriously anywhere close to 100% of the time (tho just cos he jokes about it doesn't mean its not true.) - also, watch the LS. She says the original tweet was because Dan taught her what a furry was - ties in with conversation from NWW last year) about it for fucking YEARS.

If you want to get mad about something, WHERE'S THAT BLOODY COLLAB FOOTAGE?! :roll:

ooh. Fireworks.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Lurktacularr
procrastinator

Hello kiddies, Lurk Tacularr here (thanks Mama Phan ;) )

Happy new year

I've not caught up and I'm not going to try (2 months of missed boards would take a lifetime) but I've jumped back in to furry discussions so I feel right at home again :lol:

Its basically impossible to discern whether he is or not because he has running jokes that are patently jokes-but-not-jokes (what dizzy said) but also running jokes with no deeper meaning too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he was, but equally he loves his internety/meme culture humour and it also wouldn't surprise me if he was playing up to that.

One thing I am fairly sure about is either way, Louise will think its a joke as:

a) I doubt they're so close that he confides his kinky bedroom behaviour in her

b) if he did, she wouldn't have tweeted about it

That must, to me, mean that she sees what we see and reads it as a joke. I'd therefore be inclined to go with 'he isn't actually a furry' as my most reliable source is an IRL friends' perception of the same public content that we see.

But hey, I could be way off mark and he's sporting a bunny tail at this very moment. Who knows.
I wonder how biology can explain the physical pain you feel in your chest when all you want to do is talk shit on IDB
Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

I'd like to hop on to the last post and say it's been about 2 months for me too. I am making zero attempts to catch up on what I've missed, but I just wanted to say I've missed you all (ok, some of you) and it's damn time I fall back into my trash pile.
PhilsEyelash
phillion/danosaur <//3

swofro wrote:Also this:
I've never seen this pic before! It's Phil with his I want to eat your soul eyes.
lurker
janice from the shop

mermaid blood wrote:
spaceguitar wrote:
how is that different though? you've just cited what dan jokes about and the reasons you think they're not just a joke. dan has also referred to male attraction and sex acts he may enjoy in pretty funny and non-serious ways. the logic of the pattern is he uses humour as a defence mechanism to protect his true feelings from rejection whilst getting some relief and validation from still revealing them in less risky ways. testing the waters, if you will.

people rejecting and/or finding all these (completely normal) things gross or improbable is probably his fear.
i think it's clear from the diss track that the jokes about attraction and about being a furry are on a different level though -- attraction/orientation are mentioned with a wink, but not made the punchline of a joke, in contrast to the furry line.
thank's you were great
psychicmoth
living flop

*cough* Also, just a little reminder that Dan has a shrine in his bedroom where most items are related to an anthropomorphic character, Rytlock. *cough*

Being part of the furry fandom doesn't necessarily mean wearing a fursuit 24/7. We don't know if he is interested and what kind of interest he has. Who knows, maybe jokes, onesies, furry mentions, his shrine- all of those things are hints of something. Sadly, the furry fandom is one of the most stigmatized, so I can totally see his jokes as a way to deal with this topic.
(used to be Maya)
:sparkle: :crystalball: :sparkle:
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

So I guess this is DINOF new branding :roll:
secretagentphan
procrastinator

THIS FURRY DISCUSSION HAS GOTTEN SO OUT OF HAND I AM LIVING
PhilsEyelash
phillion/danosaur <//3

YER A FURRY DAN ;)
Birdie
blobfish

Oh my god, guys. :D I come back after a few hours expecting you to have moved on but not only is the furry discussion still in full swing, it's gotten right out of hand.
lurker wrote:i think it's clear from the diss track that the jokes about attraction and about being a furry are on a different level though -- attraction/orientation are mentioned with a wink, but not made the punchline of a joke, in contrast to the furry line.
Yes to this.
Winston
flower crown

Ok so I am just going to chime in on this furry conversation. TBH I think the whole Loiuse thing was just a joke.She herself said she really doesn't know if Dan is a furry. Indicating to me (i.e. IMO) she is friends with the boys just not bffs. She thought it was a funny joke, but then when everyone started freaking out about it she had a moment, like 'oh crap...what if he is a furry." Then Dan chimed in and she felt better about it and added the promo since that also seems to be a running joke with those three. All of it was a joke, meant to reference a funny part of her video and her jokey relationship with the boys, mainly Dan. It just took a turn she may not have anticipated.

As for Dan, or Dan and Phil being furrys. I don't really see why it would be so hard to believe. If anything from all the joking it seems like he may at least have some interest in it. Possibly just for the lol's but still. I mean they do love cutesy things and animals? They have the money and could afford some pretty rockin fursona suits. Also if you think about it, it could be something they may enjoy on a whole normalizing level. What I mean is; as a form of escapism. Which is the draw for most people who have fursona's in the first place. If they were furrys they could become their fursomas and join in the fun and just blend in with the crowd. They wouldn't have to worry about someone spotting them, hell they could even be affectionate in 'public' either with each other or other people and no one would be the wiser. I didn't watch the video from today but from the few conversations I have had with people who are furrys it ins't all this weird kinky stuff that a lot of people think it is. Mostly conventions are just places where people get together and are allowed to be their alter ego as their fursona. Yes there are kinks and kinky stuff goes on, but that does not necessarily go with the whole furry aspect. The motto of a lot of the conventions is it is a no kink shaming zone... I never really thought that he was serious about his furry comments, but when I thought about it...maybe they should be.

I don't know how well I expressed myself, I'm tired as hell...Also weird/funny side note, my husband's best friend at work is a furry and his boyfriend lives in London and is 25. they met online then met irl at a furry convention. They have an open long distance relationship. I have seen his picture and his fursona. I just thought it was funny...and my fan fic writer brain went to Dan and Phil knowing them as their fursonas. :lol: God I'm tired don't mind me....
actions speak louder than words
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

secretagentphan wrote:THIS FURRY DISCUSSION HAS GOTTEN SO OUT OF HAND I AM LIVING
Seriously. It was only entertaining for a minute. I have nothing to add about their furry references.

I am more inclined to say that Louise is not really Dan's friend. Unless we are using the word friend for every person more than an acquintance. She is more of an office mate who you hangout with at work. But once work is over, you barely contact each other. I can't really explain it but for me their relationship is purely professional. It's just that Dan is comfortable with Louise similar to his relationship with Tomska.
karma_yeah
philussy

Yes to this!
What goes around, comes around Image