Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

lilMango wrote:
Catallena wrote: To me, the tone in which he spoke during those parts was not his usual sarcastic tone, if it was it wouldn't make my skin crawl and I'd actually appreciate it because Dan is not nearly enough of sarcastic bastard these days. But it's a specific annoyed tone that he tends to use in liveshows that I can't stand, hence me not usually watching them. Like I'm glad he isn't being an asshole about it like in 2012, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious and unnecessary to me. The buddy and bro talk is cute when they do it together because then it actually mocks bro culture, while Dan gave more vibes of mocking the viewer for no good reason. Again that's probably just me, I'm bitter and hate fun. Let's move on.
I felt the same way, and found it weird that people took it as an adorable thing... I don't know, it didn't come off to me as a moment that should be saved and cherished and fangirled over, it seemed like an (obviously necessary) jab. That being said, it didn't really affect me negatively. I can't expect anything else at this point. What is he gonna do, say "Phil is my boyfriend and he knows me well"?
I wasn't annoyed by it either - I just find it funny that he can't just call Phil his best friend in a normal tone of voice. I think that Dan brings a lot of this kind of discussion on himself (and I'm not blaming him- I'm pretty similar in personality) but if Dan doesn't want comments like this to be made into a "thing" then why act like it is a "thing" ?

Also, semi-related but with the yoi discussion, I remember in one of Phil's live shows someone asked his opinion and he said it was good but he wanted more romance. Nobody made a fuss about it because Phil answered a question without theatrics. It seems Dan could still learn a thing or two from Phil
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote:
lilMango wrote:
Catallena wrote: To me, the tone in which he spoke during those parts was not his usual sarcastic tone, if it was it wouldn't make my skin crawl and I'd actually appreciate it because Dan is not nearly enough of sarcastic bastard these days. But it's a specific annoyed tone that he tends to use in liveshows that I can't stand, hence me not usually watching them. Like I'm glad he isn't being an asshole about it like in 2012, but it doesn't make it any less obnoxious and unnecessary to me. The buddy and bro talk is cute when they do it together because then it actually mocks bro culture, while Dan gave more vibes of mocking the viewer for no good reason. Again that's probably just me, I'm bitter and hate fun. Let's move on.
I felt the same way, and found it weird that people took it as an adorable thing... I don't know, it didn't come off to me as a moment that should be saved and cherished and fangirled over, it seemed like an (obviously necessary) jab. That being said, it didn't really affect me negatively. I can't expect anything else at this point. What is he gonna do, say "Phil is my boyfriend and he knows me well"?
I didn't take it as 'adorable' exactly - I just took it in the same vein as the bro-mate-joking. Dan's tone seeming different fits with me the same way Dan's tone is always different when it's just Dan instead of Dan with Phil. (And the same way Phil's tone is different when it's just him and he's not interacting with Dan.)

Definitely didn't read it as a jab toward anything but the concept that their ~friendship branding~ is something they maintain with a wink and a nod.
That is how I took it as well.

And from what Dan said in the ls, I think that he very well could be a johnlock shipper.
silverwinter
spork

Catallena wrote:Dying at this fake woke and blatant US centric discussion over the word fag. Asking others to adjust their language because 'BUT IN AMERICA!!1' :roll:
silverwinter wrote:
papierklemmen wrote:
silverwinter wrote: okay. and for the record, while i specifically knew what he was talking about and i specifically wasn't offended by his words, tons of queer american (or from anywhere else) kids watching that liveshow could have been. he didn't bother to elaborate at all to make sure people knew what he really meant, and i think that as an entertainer, he needs to be aware of his words and of who his audience is
not to start a language wank, but your post is a bit ironic since quite a number of (gay, bi and even straight) people here in idb also expressed that they're uncomfortable with the word "queer" being used when referring to lgbt community, because somewhere it's still considered a slur.
the reason i use the word queer and not that other one is bc the former is a commonly reclaimed word in the community that most people who are online a lot are aware of it. if dan said that word, everyone would know what he was referring to. that other word is still considered a derogatory slur in most places, has not been reclaimed, and non-english people aren't necessarily aware that it can be used in a different sense.

again, all i'm saying is that dan should've been more conscious of what he was saying as someone with a young audience

and captainspacegoat yeah i basically don't disagree with you there. i'm not saying that anyone should attack dan or anything, i don't think he did anything immensely wrong, and his not being straight is definitely a good thing to keep in mind with all this. my point is that he said something thoughtless and that he needs to be more conscious in the future
Q*eer is also still considered a derogatory slur in many places??? Some people reclaiming it and waving history books around does not change that. You're being oddly selective and Dan has nothing to be conscious about when he's literally just speaking his own language.
ok i apologize for bringing it up. i didn't realize that it was a meaningless or stupid thing to discuss or that it would upset/frustrate people so much, so i'm just gonna end my part of the whole discussion here. but in response to what you said specifically, yeah you're right, q*eer is still a slur in some places and i was being hypocritical by using it and then criticizing dan for using f*g. i'll refrain from using it from now or at least censor it
chloek88
spork

alittledizzy wrote: If he mentions passionately liking the YOI ship or gives controversial opinions on what he doesn't like then he will just be encouraging the throngs of people to continue spamming his tweets, asks, and comments about that forevermore.

If I were him I'd be wary about activating fanbases with potential to overlap with my existing one.
such good points, the overlap between yoi and d&p fandoms and the parallels between johnlock and phan are probably something he's wary of and would like to steer clear of. it is interesting how he talks a lot about how he's such a fan and gets so invested in fandoms, and yet he rarely mentions shipping anyone. probs because he's wary of encouraging/validating his shipping fanbase. he encourages us now in winks, nods, tweets, tabinof and tatinof's fic segments, and by supporting phanart. but to outright claim that he, too, ships male/male ships might seem too risky for him, as it'd be a no holds barred free pass to phan shippers. does this make sense?
like what lurker was saying about "dan has always been somewhat careful about being seen as a shipper, or about people thinking he watches something for a ship"...i agree with this, because i think he knows a lot of people watch him and phil for the "bants and eyecontact" aka for the phan element, and he facilitates that for sure. but he doesn't necessarily wish it were that way. he'd rather people watch him for the quality of their content. so i think he's wary of being seen as a shipper and people presuming he's watching something just for the ship, because then that encourages/supports people who do that with him and phil.
trashqueen wrote:re: sherlock comment, god, i wish he had talked more about his sherlock opinion because i also interpreted what he said about mary that way, and i hated it, if he genuinely thinks that mary existing is the reason johnlock is not canon i'm gonna have to punch him, johnlock isn't canon because steven moffat is a queerbaity piece of shit, stop blaming female characters existing for shitty showrunning decisions
but i think dan's wording here is important. i agree with you, i think blaming mary for getting in between john and sherlock and preventing their relationship is nonsense (especially since they both clearly loved her). but, the idea of her character, and the way the showwriters have written her in as a standin to enforce heterosexuality until proven queer while baiting the shit out of johnlock...that's what i think dan doesn't like, and that's the point i was trying to make when i said her character is imposed upon two men and stands between them.. basically, i agree with exactly what lerien said in the second half of their post:
Like he thinks she had been added by the writers/showrunners for the "no-homo" garantee between John and Sherlock - she totally was. Plus, Moffat tends to characterize his female characters badly (he seems to only ever show them as castrating and menacing to men's virility or something, that's really annoying cf. the Woman, Missy, River Song...). So I can understand that as much as the actress and the character can be great, the reason why she exists in the first place and the trope she is characterized from are quite off putting.
zvezdochka wrote:Not to dawn on YOI's future, but maybe what Dan doesn't quite like about it is that THE GAYNESS can easily become its main feature instead of character development, strong storyline, etc. Hannah Hart tried to explain this trend by saying she wants to play interesting characters that happen to be gay, not gay characters. Am I making sense? Upsetting YOI's fans is the last thing I want to do.
lol, full disclosure, i've never watched a single episode of YOI so i'm definitely not upset by what you're saying. it makes total sense to me, and it's similar to the point dan made in that 10/25 liveshow, when he said you never get a good, quality drama anime that also happens to have gay characters, it's always either a "gay anime" or an anime. and while i haven't seen it, i follow enough people on twitter/tumblr who are huuuuuge fans that i feel like i can say, YOI seems to have quickly become a "gay anime," at least in the eyes of its viewers.
lurker wrote:it seems plausible to say that whatever he says about their relationship will, to some extent, be projected back onto him
very true, probably a scary/offputting prospect, and something i already implicitly did in my post about johnlock by comparing their relationship to dan and phil's :/
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Amiaw wrote:Also, semi-related but with the yoi discussion, I remember in one of Phil's live shows someone asked his opinion and he said it was good but he wanted more romance. Nobody made a fuss about it because Phil answered a question without theatrics. It seems Dan could still learn a thing or two from Phil
I think that's because people care a lot more about Dan's sexuality than Phil's. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the pressure on Dan to reveal his sexuality (or strictly speaking to admit he's gay or bi... that's what these people really want, no?) is so much higher. Some people also bother Phil with these questions but I usually see them aimed at Dan and for a big chunk of the phandom it's the only thing they want to talk about. It's really inappropriate to try to force someone to confess their sexual iritation orientation (what a typo, oh my god), especially when they've said they don't want to be put in a box like Dan has, and I get why Dan steers clear of any talk about LGBTQ stuff that could give people the idea he's part of the community since he clearly doesn't want to disclose his orientation like that.

Ranting about the lack of representation in a broader sense? Yeah, he'll do that. Talking about finding guys attractive in a jokey manner that doesn't really mean much? Sure. But admitting he liked a show that's so important to the LGBTQ community at the moment might be too much to ask of him when we know a big portion of the phandom will take it as proof he's gay, bother him about it for days or even weeks and so on. Especially since the question wasn't "Did you like yoi?", it was about whether or not he misses Victor and Yuri as a couple, wasn't it? Let's be real, if he'd said yes people would be flipping their shit for months. It always happens, even when he makes suggestive jokes or just says something he didn't quite think through, so I totally get why he didn't want to answer the question. He's getting quite good at preventing these kinds of things lately and I actually like that. He's made clear he doesn't want us to know his sexuality and that should be that.

Or maybe he just hated how the show ended and is afraid to admit it because people would probably be pissed about it. Yoi is a sensitive topic at the moment, people are passionate about it and it's really important to the LGBTQ community so maybe he just didn't want to upset anyone.

Edit: chloek basically said the same thing while I was typing, sorry.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Birdie wrote:
Amiaw wrote:Also, semi-related but with the yoi discussion, I remember in one of Phil's live shows someone asked his opinion and he said it was good but he wanted more romance. Nobody made a fuss about it because Phil answered a question without theatrics. It seems Dan could still learn a thing or two from Phil
I think that's because people care a lot more about Dan's sexuality than Phil's. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like the pressure on Dan to reveal his sexuality (or strictly speaking to admit he's gay or bi... that's what these people really want, no?) is so much higher. Some people also bother Phil with these questions but I usually see them aimed at Dan and for a big chunk of the phandom it's the only thing they want to talk about. It's really inappropriate to try to force someone to confess their sexual iritation orientation (what a typo, oh my god), especially when they've said they don't want to be put in a box like Dan has, and I get why Dan steers clear of any talk about LGBTQ stuff that could give people the idea he's part of the community since he clearly doesn't want to disclose his orientation like that.

Ranting about the lack of representation in a broader sense? Yeah, he'll do that. Talking about finding guys attractive in a jokey manner that doesn't really mean much? Sure. But admitting he liked a show that's so important to the LGBTQ community at the moment might be too much to ask of him when we know a big portion of the phandom will take it as proof he's gay, bother him about it for days or even weeks and so on. Especially since the question wasn't "Did you like yoi?", it was about whether or not he misses Victor and Yuri as a couple, wasn't it? Let's be real, if he'd said yes people would be flipping their shit for months. It always happens, even when he makes suggestive jokes or just says something he didn't quite think through, so I totally get why he didn't want to answer the question. He's getting quite good at preventing these kinds of things lately and I actually like that. He's made clear he doesn't want us to know his sexuality and that should be that.

Or maybe he just hated how the show ended and is afraid to admit it because people would probably be pissed about it. Yoi is a sensitive topic at the moment, people are passionate about it and it's really important to the LGBTQ community so maybe he just didn't want to upset anyone.

These are good points but I think by NOT addressing situations it leads to ambiguity and that's the problem. Phil doesn't get the same level of intrusiveness because he doesn't allow it. Even during December when he went to a party and was photographed taking shots and hanging out with girls (not a big deal but if it was Dan it would have been) we all had a laugh and talked about it for a day or two and then moved on. Phil really is good about controlling people's perceptions and even though he's loosened up, he's trained people so well that he doesn't need to really worry.

I just hope that as Dan gets older and continues to grow more comfortable with himself, he'll lose the need to gain so much acceptance over things.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

Birdie wrote:
I think that's because people care a lot more about Dan's sexuality than Phil's.
dan seems much more expressive/dramatic as a person i think, phil seeming pretty chill and laid back about things. that's how it seems imo anyway. interesting how each of them are discussed seperately, dan seems to get mentioned much more than phil, do you guys think this is because phil doesn't share too many details/expressions? ive noticed phil doesn't get asked half as much as dan ( which is weird, considering many, many people think they're together? ) idk if its cus im tired - i just got back from uni - but why is this the case? was it the way dan used to be in 2012 that people care a bit more?

sorry if i dont make sense lol

anyway i'd love to discuss phil more. can't wait for his live show tomorrow :thumb:
:biflag: :blackheart:
swofro
angel bean

I want to direct your attention to this fact that deppy have matching shiba inu jumpers
Which I interpret as Phil has this one?
Last edited by swofro on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is forever
MoonPride
moon room

swofro wrote:I want to direct your attention to this fact that deppy have matching shiba inu jumpers
Oh my

Well if that isn't dropping them in it then god know what will
lishachi
eclipse shirt

swofro wrote:I want to direct your attention to this fact that deppy have matching shiba inu jumpers
well shit thats adorable
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

That seems so sketchy to me. Why would a business be giving out information about what other individual customers have purchased, even if they are public figures, and all in lower-case when the rest of the message is written with capitals where appropriate? Am I being too skeptical?
melon lord
morning quiff

pilotlight wrote:That seems so sketchy to me. Why would a business be giving out information about what other individual customers have purchased, even if they are public figures, and all in lower-case when the rest of the message is written with capitals where appropriate? Am I being too skeptical?
it sounds sketchy but they probably assumed that it got flooded because dan wore his and they are aware, so they are like "well if you can't have this one due to stock, maybe you'd like the similar one that phil, his also friend, has"

does that make sense?

MoonPride
moon room

melon lord wrote:
pilotlight wrote:That seems so sketchy to me. Why would a business be giving out information about what other individual customers have purchased, even if they are public figures, and all in lower-case when the rest of the message is written with capitals where appropriate? Am I being too skeptical?
it sounds sketchy but they probably assumed that it got flooded because dan wore his and they are aware, so they are like "well if you can't have this one due to stock, maybe you'd like the similar one that phil, his also friend, has"

does that make sense?
They are putting the one Dan was wearing up for preorder as I messaged them today, also Phil's one has been taken off their shop too.

Also possible the shop sent them the jumpers as a gift
lerien
squish

lishachi wrote:dan seems much more expressive/dramatic as a person i think, phil seeming pretty chill and laid back about things. that's how it seems imo anyway.
I don't know about "chill", Phil is as discreet about his private life/opinions as Dan but he doesn't make every little thing a big thing if it isn't (if it makes sense). Phil answers directly when the question doesn't bother him and ignores it altogether if it does. Dan always seems to perceive the subject but beats around the bushes or throws shades and gives hints that it's not a big thing and we shouldn't even be interested in the first place which of course, makes it look like a big thing.
For someone who doesn't like drama llamas, Dan sure knows how to stir them :roll: But you're right, I think his personality is much more dramatic than Phil :D

(There's also the fact that Dan and Phil don't have the exact same audience)
It is shetchy haha but they're not stupid, they know most recent orders are due to Dan so they market their target accordingly. They're not lying (blatant lie would be false advertising and illegal) but they're definitely taking advantage of the phandom.
"I'm okay with things being awkward between us."
000dia000
emo goose

Birdie wrote:

I agree with basically everything.
I think it boils down to Dan being easier to read than Phil, who is a blank slate. I think that subconsciously a lot of people try to push Dan because they are more likely to get a rise out of him, while he is not as open as he was in 2012 and blunt, there are moments where he slips, he might get passive aggressive, or just goes "fuck it" and says whatever he wants.

Also, to acknowledge what few want to discuss, Dan probably generates a little more attention than Phil, in some cases. Some people may be more interested in what Dan has to say about it, either they may think Phil is already, is not, or if Dan "confirms" Phil henceforth is "confirmed", as a result.
:cactus:
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

Honestly, my guess would be It gave them business so why not give it more business? It's not like they gave away any personal info. Just what the other order? It does feel invasive af, not gonna lie there.
However, this does confuse me slightly, as wouldn't it just make more sense to order two shirts at once than to have separate orders for the both of them? Or did they only have one order and the person is presuming the other has the opposite shirt? Or maybe like moonpride suggested, the shop sent them the shirts as a gift. Or maybe even as a freebie thing?? Who knows with companies these days, they send so many free stuff out for slight promo all the time.
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It looks like they got their Shiba plushie that was in Pinof from there as well. Those boys just really want a dog
papierklemmen
flower crown

i'm on the side of they sent them those sweatshirt(s) as gifts, esp. if they also got a plushie. or maybe someone else gave those as presents.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Yeah, given the level of detail in that message, ShopShiba prob sent a PR package. Worked out well for them, clearly!
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

papierklemmen wrote:i'm on the side of they sent them those sweatshirt(s) as gifts, esp. if they also got a plushie. or maybe someone else gave those as presents.
The shibe plushies were given to them as gifts from a fan at a tatinof show in the U.K. There a video of them getting them somewhere on twitter!
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
MoonPride
moon room

Not going to lie but it makes me wonder if Dan saw the jumper speculation and then posts this to take the distraction away from it? Just seems like a bit of a coincidence.

ETA- I still think they was probably gifted to them, but we won't really know.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

MoonPride wrote:
Not going to lie but it makes me wonder if Dan saw the jumper speculation and then posts this to take the distraction away from it? Just seems like a bit of a coincidence.
I don't think the Shib sweatshirt conversation is a big enough deal that it needs a distraction. Honestly think this is just Dan tweeting something relatable just because. No underlying motive.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

000dia000 wrote:
Birdie wrote:

I agree with basically everything.
I think it boils down to Dan being easier to read than Phil, who is a blank slate. I think that subconsciously a lot of people try to push Dan because they are more likely to get a rise out of him, while he is not as open as he was in 2012 and blunt, there are moments where he slips, he might get passive aggressive, or just goes "fuck it" and says whatever he wants.

Also, to acknowledge what few want to discuss, Dan probably generates a little more attention than Phil, in some cases. Some people may be more interested in what Dan has to say about it, either they may think Phil is already, is not, or if Dan "confirms" Phil henceforth is "confirmed", as a result.
makes sense now you mention it lol. dan definitely does create a bit more attention whereas phil sometimes doesn't.
lerien wrote:
lishachi wrote:dan seems much more expressive/dramatic as a person i think, phil seeming pretty chill and laid back about things. that's how it seems imo anyway.
I don't know about "chill", Phil is as discreet about his private life/opinions as Dan but he doesn't make every little thing a big thing if it isn't (if it makes sense). Phil answers directly when the question doesn't bother him and ignores it altogether if it does. Dan always seems to perceive the subject but beats around the bushes or throws shades and gives hints that it's not a big thing and we shouldn't even be interested in the first place which of course, makes it look like a big thing.
For someone who doesn't like drama llamas, Dan sure knows how to stir them :roll: But you're right, I think his personality is much more dramatic than Phil :D

(There's also the fact that Dan and Phil don't have the exact same audience)
It is shetchy haha but they're not stupid, they know most recent orders are due to Dan so they market their target accordingly. They're not lying (blatant lie would be false advertising and illegal) but they're definitely taking advantage of the phandom.
that is true, i often forget their auidences are different. i always see them as such a duo i forget they have their own channels
but yeah, dan does 'beat around the bush' a bit and phil seems more blunt/wont respond/acknowledge it. i prefer the latter tbh, blunt and honest replies or just none at all seems like a better way to go about things (imo)
malday
emo goose

Amiaw wrote: I wasn't annoyed by it either - I just find it funny that he can't just call Phil his best friend in a normal tone of voice. I think that Dan brings a lot of this kind of discussion on himself (and I'm not blaming him- I'm pretty similar in personality) but if Dan doesn't want comments like this to be made into a "thing" then why act like it is a "thing" ?

Also, semi-related but with the yoi discussion, I remember in one of Phil's live shows someone asked his opinion and he said it was good but he wanted more romance. Nobody made a fuss about it because Phil answered a question without theatrics. It seems Dan could still learn a thing or two from Phil
The idea that he minds discussions about his and Phil's relationship is just speculation from the phandom.
I don't share the opinion that he minds any of it, maybe he doesn't like being spammed with it, but doubt he minds people going crazy speculating about it on various platforms.
He's also the one initiating fanservice more than Phil.

If any of them really still mind discussions about phan and sexuality they can shut those down very easily.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

aw, kirby takes after phil