Dan & Phil Part 36: Wholesome Howell and AmazingPhlegm

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
uglyamerican
woodland creature

misakichan274 wrote:I laughed aloud at more than a few parts during this video and found it entertaining over all. While I do think the reactions were a bit exaggerated, Dan does tend to be loud and dramatic in general
What I did notice was that like last year's video, rather than actually compile only the funny memes and shitposts of the year, it served more like a lookback upon the happenings of the year (but more comedic than emotional/genuine). He did say he'd rather do this than be genuinely open about his feelings (and the fandom does make it easier for him to revert to self-deprecation, to an extreme extent :cry: )
The BONCAs and the TATINOF bits stood out as where despite being aware of what the audience did go crazy about, he chose to pick upon the troll aspect on purpose. As some of you mentioned earlier, for someone who hasn't seen their tweets, live shows etc wouldn't know of his genuine heartfelt reactions but would instead become informed of the funny aspects only now and find it hilarious (re, the choking vid, I imagine seeing it for the first time must have been hilarious/appalling) and he might have aimed for that towards the broader audience.
Speaking of, I loved and on my second watch was pleasantly surprised at the 'we', 'us' and Phil mentions constantly and so casually considering how scripted the rest of his speech seemed to be :D Also, the teen magazine bits cracked me up as I hadn't seen them before
All in all, while I did not love this ( as much as a casual viewer with little previous knowledge might), it still made me laugh and quench my thirst for content for now
+1 for the most part, but I'll disagree a bit, and say I loved this vid, the screaming and getting worked up enough to emit tears. I live for the ridiculousness and overreactions for effect
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Whilst I agree that Dan and Phil have one of the most supportive fanbases on Youtube and that’s important I kind of don’t want to pretend like there’s no shit happening. Because there is a lot of shit happening. A big portion of their fans are respectful and supportive but the amount of fans who aren’t isn’t that much smaller I’m afraid. Some parts of the phandom get up to really questionable stuff and Dan and Phil have every right to call that behaviour out or to subtly shade it if they want to. A big new trend on Tumblr lately was brushing off Dan’s issues with anxiety which is why I’m glad he confirmed he had mild agrophobia in the new video. Another thing is people not respecting the few boundaries the guys set at all (i.e. Dan’s nudes being reposted and shared etc.).

The phandom isn’t all bad and I’d like to see Dan and Phil acknowledge that too at some point but I get why it might be hard to look past the awful behaviour of many fans that just overshadows the respectful supportive people, even if there are more of them. Like, no, we don’t need to protect Dan from every little meme all the time but it’s also not okay to just excuse some peoples’ behaviour because being funny is Dan’s job. There is no need to drag or mock the guy to the extreme for his fashion choices or whatever. I’m pretty sure no one takes little jokes or teasing all that seriously but I’ve seen so much mean stuff on Tumblr and Twitter and I’m pretty sure Dan has seen it too. He’s human so he’s allowed to be upset about stuff like this even if it’s his job to be funny and make people laugh at him.

What I'm trying to say is this is not an either-or situation. The phandom isn't all bad but it's far from being all nice and supportive either so I get why Dan might be genuinely frustrated with some things and why it migh be hard for him to see past the negative and focus on the positive sometimes.
alittledizzy wrote:(But I do think him using blunt words associated with mental health and not backtracking or disclaiming it at all negates any joke factor of the hands thing. That is not ambiguous at all to me, he could not more clearly state why he does peace signs and how it relates to his anxiety and how he feels in group settings.)
Agreed. :thumb: We always want Dan to stop beating around the bush and confirm stuff so when he does I think we can really take it at face value.
MoonPride
moon room

You know my Daughter came to me earlier and replayed the whole part about the peace signs dan does and said this is exactly why this is her go to pose (she's been doing it long before she started watching deppy) and why she gets annoyed when I tell her to stop it. I feel kinda bad and now I totally get why whenever we are lets say at Disneyland or out somewhere and she is having a photo of some sort she does the same pose over and over again it's because she's anxious and slightly uncomfortable. So I want to give Dan credit for explaining what she has been unable to express to me properly in words I can understand.
silverwinter
spork

Birdie wrote:Whilst I agree that Dan and Phil have one of the most supportive fanbases on Youtube and that’s important I kind of don’t want to pretend like there’s no shit happening. Because there is a lot of shit happening. A big portion of their fans are respectful and supportive but the amount of fans who aren’t isn’t that much smaller I’m afraid. Some parts of the phandom get up to really questionable stuff and Dan and Phil have every right to call that behaviour out or to subtly shade it if they want to. A big new trend on Tumblr lately was brushing off Dan’s issues with anxiety which is why I’m glad he confirmed he had mild agrophobia in the new video. Another thing is people not respecting the few boundaries the guys set at all (i.e. Dan’s nudes being reposted and shared etc.).

The phandom isn’t all bad and I’d like to see Dan and Phil acknowledge that too at some point but I get why it might be hard to look past the awful behaviour of many fans that just overshadows the respectful supportive people, even if there are more of them. Like, no, we don’t need to protect Dan from every little meme all the time but it’s also not okay to just excuse some peoples’ behaviour because being funny is Dan’s job. There is no need to drag or mock the guy to the extreme for his fashion choices or whatever. I’m pretty sure no one takes little jokes or teasing all that seriously but I’ve seen so much mean stuff on Tumblr and Twitter and I’m pretty sure Dan has seen it too. He’s human so he’s allowed to be upset about stuff like this even if it’s his job to be funny and make people laugh at him.

What I'm trying to say is this is not an either-or situation. The phandom isn't all bad but it's far from being all nice and supportive either so I get why Dan might be genuinely frustrated with some things and why it migh be hard for him to see past the negative and focus on the positive sometimes.
alittledizzy wrote:(But I do think him using blunt words associated with mental health and not backtracking or disclaiming it at all negates any joke factor of the hands thing. That is not ambiguous at all to me, he could not more clearly state why he does peace signs and how it relates to his anxiety and how he feels in group settings.)
Agreed. :thumb: We always want Dan to stop beating around the bush and confirm stuff so when he does I think we can really take it at face value.
i agree that there are people in the fandom that are unnecessarily rude to d&p, but I don't think they are the people dan was "shading" in the video (don't think he was shading anyone tbh). to me, he was poking fun at the lighthearted comments his genuine fans were making throughout the year - and neither dan nor the audience were coming from a malicious place.

ofc there is negativity and rudeness in this fandom, but i'm failing to see how that relates to this video
mio wrote: 2016, apart from being the worst was also just bad for memes in general. I have high hopes for 2017 (and I am hyped about memedocumentation on tumblr being back this year, who is with me?)
off-topic but, 2015 was truly a great year for memes, and 2016 really let us down smh
Birdie
blobfish

silverwinter wrote:i agree that there are people in the fandom that are unnecessarily rude to d&p, but I don't think they are the people dan was "shading" in the video (don't think he was shading anyone tbh). to me, he was poking fun at the lighthearted comments his genuine fans were making throughout the year - and neither dan nor the audience were coming from a malicious place.

ofc there is negativity and rudeness in this fandom, but i'm failing to see how that relates to this video
Oh, I should have added that I didn't mean this in regards to the new video but in general since the discussion seemed to move away from the video a bit and people were talking about the phandom and Dan's attitute towards it in general. I do think there was some "shade" in the video but I agree there was nothing too serious, it was all in good fun.
silverwinter
spork

Birdie wrote:
silverwinter wrote:i agree that there are people in the fandom that are unnecessarily rude to d&p, but I don't think they are the people dan was "shading" in the video (don't think he was shading anyone tbh). to me, he was poking fun at the lighthearted comments his genuine fans were making throughout the year - and neither dan nor the audience were coming from a malicious place.

Oh, I should have added that I didn't mean this in regards to the new video but in general since the discussion seemed to move away from the video a bit and people were talking about the phandom and Dan's attitute towards it in general. I do think there was some "shade" in the video but I agree there was nothing too serious, it was all in good fun.
ah okay, gotcha! i definitely understand your point better now
DeadlyNova
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

I don't have too much to say about the phandom's reaction to Dan's new video, so I can't really add to the discussion on that, but I do want to say my thoughts on the video!!

I genuinely really liked it, and it had me laughing out loud several times, which, while isn't a rare thing with Dan's videos, hasn't happened in a little while.

His reactions to things were a bit over the top on some occasions, but not too bad. I did cringe at a fw parts, but that's just me. LOL

Also, as someone with social anxiety, the thing with the peace sign was super #relatable to me...and also, as someone else has said, I'm pretty sure he meant agoraphobia, not agraphobia, given the context....lol. Although a quick google search has one website(happening to be in the UK) listing agraphobia with the definition of agoraphobia. I don't know much about these things but I think either he said it wrong or we heard him wrong. LOL

Anyway, not my faorite DINOF video ever, and maybe not one I'll rewatch dozens of times and never get bored of, but certainly not one undeserving of a rewatch either.
lishachi
eclipse shirt

[offtopic]found an old video of d&p id not seen before, they look so cute! (put under spoiler so hopefully thread doesn't slow)
[/offtopic]
:biflag: :blackheart:
malday
emo goose

So Phil's 6 minute videos was trending but hasn't reached 1 mil views in 2 days.
While Dan's 23 minute video reached 1 mil views in under 24 hours.
silverwinter
spork

malday wrote:So Phil's 6 minute videos was trending but hasn't reached 1 mil views in 2 days.
i noticed that dan's video reached one million quite quickly (or is this normal and i haven't been paying attention?)...maybe bc dan's video was more highly anticipated than phil's as dan hadn't posted real dinof content in two months and his meme video from last year was so popular?
fancybum
senpai

malday wrote:So Phil's 6 minute videos was trending but hasn't reached 1 mil views in 2 days.
Dan has ~twice the subscribers, so.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
uglyamerican
woodland creature

fancybum wrote:
Dan has ~twice the subscribers, so.
I watched it this morning at ~ 1am EST, which was 6am GMT time. At that point, it had about 490k views - not sure when YT refreshes view counts.
blackdenim
procrastinator

Just to echo what others have said about the peace signs bit seeming super #relatable. I found it interesting Dan mentioned he had 'mild agoraphobia' (I'm assuming he meant agoraphobia and not agraphobia!) because if I'm correct he's never said that before? Whereas we already know he is socially awkward/anxious.

I also have mild agoraphobia so it just put my antennae up. I would love for him to talk a bit more about his experiences with it, especially since he works from home which in my experience can really exacerbate it because you can easily convince yourself there's no reason to leave the house.

It's a pretty niche issue and the only other Youtuber I've ever heard speak about it before is velvetgh0st and honestly who wants to listen to what she has to say about anything really?! (sorry if any of you like her!)

If it's true and not just an exaggeration I'm really proud of him (is that a weird thing to say?) from one sufferer to another that he managed to do the tour/m&g's/promo events, etc. at all because I honestly would not have been able to I was terrified to even go to the TATINOF I went to in Leeds because it was at a venue I wasn't familiar with!
lishachi
eclipse shirt

silverwinter wrote:
i noticed that dan's video reached one million quite quickly (or is this normal and i haven't been paying attention?)...maybe bc dan's video was more highly anticipated than phil's as dan hadn't posted real dinof content in two months and his meme video from last year was so popular?
yeah, i agree it may be because dan's was more anticipated, he posted about asking for things to go in the video on twitter and tumblr and talked about it in the liveshow right? whereas phil just kind of put it up right after the liveshow. idk i mean some of their gaming videos didn't get over 1m,and people anticipated a video everyday. i have no idea how youtube works haha
:biflag: :blackheart:
mez29
procrastinator

(It's quite common to pronounce agoraphobia as ag'raphobia in the UK.)
Birdie
blobfish

mez29 wrote:(It's quite common to pronounce agoraphobia as ag'raphobia in the UK.)
(Thank you! I literally went and googled agrophobia because that's what I heard and got the right definition anyway. :D Seems to be a common mistake.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lishachi wrote:
silverwinter wrote:
yeah, i agree it may be because dan's was more anticipated, he posted about asking for things to go in the video on twitter and tumblr and talked about it in the liveshow right? whereas phil just kind of put it up right after the liveshow. idk i mean some of their gaming videos didn't get over 1m,and people anticipated a video everyday. i have no idea how youtube works haha
The whole memes thing in general seems to be something that appeals to a wider youtube audience, looking back at how many views last year's had. But I also think the whole algorithm and video length might have something to do with it.
phanbanter
phillion/danosaur <//3

Interesting discussions going on here, it feels good to be back home after a 5 month break for schoolwork (which I still have but yanno ).

I saw that Dan said something about watching SKAM in one of his liveshow clips, and was wondering what you think of it? As someone who has spent her whole life in Norway (and is in her second year of Norwegian highschool), it is a subject which touches me deeply.

Also the way he pronounces "Skam" is just so hilarious to me :lol: Im not used to non-Norwegians talking about the show...

He talks about his own life as a teenager towards the end of the clip as well; what do you think of it? And how much do we know about his young adulthood? All I've seen is his tumblr reply to someone in 2009 where he talks about how some children beat him. Anyone care to elaborate?
blu
squish

phanbanter wrote:
remove the 's' in "https"
dontpanic
#relatable

TIMESTAPS FOR 2017 MEME-TOPIA

1:04—I figured out eventually what dan means when he says “tramp,” but tramp means a very different thing where I’m from so I spent way too long trying to figure out how yeezy made him look like a prostitute and I f-ing love that sweater am I in the minority?
1:20—I cared so much about the childhood video reaction vid, him calling himself Laura and singing Barbie Girl is my kink
1:35—that Jacksepticeye edit tho :lol: are they friends or just occasional twitter buds I need to know because reasons
1:59—okay tho I know a lot of his statements are exaggerating but we gotta admit he’s 100% true about the BBC gamers doc. Even the articles/reviewers commented on his excessive walking.
2:56—him totally NOT saying to illegally stream the doc….do I detect a hint of resentment towards his director? Naw… (THEORY: he’s the one who illegally uploaded it )
3:04—I hate Deppy so much for birthing the “PRO TIP” era. I hate them, you hate them, other youtubers hate them, “pro-tip” has destroyed society. (jk I still love them, they’re mostly forgiven). Note: dan is like really clever with words I’m always so impressed, his little “pulsating tumor on the body of youtube” is just one example (that’s why I love his storytime videos MAKE MORE DAN I KNOW YOU’RE READING THIS)
3:05—first “we” mention without context (3:42 everybody hates us)
4:02—peace sign discussion. I do an awkward wave pose for the same reasons so it was really…nice(?) hearing him talk openingly about this? And I found it rally impressive how he was able to convey his serious emotions through using a funny delivery.
3:50—another “we” introduced w/out context. 4:09 casual Deppy pic. So many casual Deppy pics shown I’m not going to document this there’s just too many I can’t I’m not strong enough
6:18—“let’s just not talk about Phil”
6:28—I love that weed jumper that you wore MULTIPLE TIMES
7:36—people misunderstand a lot of things when you don’t give context Daniel (*cough*”we” “us” “our”*cough*)
7:54—I’m now head of the Janice fandom who’s with me (for realz tho there’s prob already 3 Janice twitters out there now) “well shit Janice I’ve been told” this should be a 2017 meme
9:01—his voice breaks ffs it’s beautiful
11:54—dude tho, he beat out his problematic fave on the itunes chart with no promo
12:08—no.
13:23—THEORY: Dan’s actually super vanilla and his only kink is choking
13:50—okay but come on, in what world would casual viewers NOT assume they’re dating here like…
15:40—Dan if you pull an ex-disney star I will be the happiest person alive
16:00—okay but we all have to admit, the disco ball suite was literally talked about SO much also “me and phil”
16:32—this lesbian went one point down on the Kinsey scale after hearing dan say “it was a good night”
16:54—he mentions “saving marina joyce.” Dan’s getting edgy?
18:01—Dan compares him not uploading a video for 3 weeks with Trump being elected prez
18:16—THEORY: Jealous!Phil wrote that tweet hoping nick Jonas would be the one to kinkshame dan, but instead it was pete
20:20—I’M SO HAPPY HECTOR GOT A SHOUT OUT I’M HECTOR TRASH #1
21:30—him crying over the cookie better
22:30—he literally just said “May-may” instead of memes “”””this guy””””

I loved this video I thought his deliveries were all pretty funny, I laughed out loud a few times…and I like how he exaggerates things, it kinda conveys the sarcasm of it all? He wanted to make something that didn’t take itself too seriously, so I think talking about #bedgate and phil calling him up at the BONCAS would defeat the purpose. Also am I the only one who didn’t think his yelling was annoying? Maybe I’m j

(I guess this part should be trigger warning-ed?
At 4:53 dan says he has mild agoraphobia, which is an irrational fear of situations where sexual abuse can happen. I automatically accepted that because a very close friend of mine has it, but thinking about it and knowing him it’s more likely he said agoraphobia but didn’t ar-tic-u-late. It’s prob been discussed I haven’t been able to fully catch up on the thread, but what do you guys think, assuming it hasn’t been covered yet?)

sorry, I'm on vacation so I wrote this a little too fast
Last edited by dontpanic on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lurker
janice from the shop

blackdenim wrote:Just to echo what others have said about the peace signs bit seeming super #relatable. I found it interesting Dan mentioned he had 'mild agoraphobia' (I'm assuming he meant agoraphobia and not agraphobia!) because if I'm correct he's never said that before? Whereas we already know he is socially awkward/anxious.

I also have mild agoraphobia so it just put my antennae up. I would love for him to talk a bit more about his experiences with it, especially since he works from home which in my experience can really exacerbate it because you can easily convince yourself there's no reason to leave the house.

It's a pretty niche issue and the only other Youtuber I've ever heard speak about it before is velvetgh0st and honestly who wants to listen to what she has to say about anything really?! (sorry if any of you like her!)

If it's true and not just an exaggeration I'm really proud of him (is that a weird thing to say?) from one sufferer to another that he managed to do the tour/m&g's/promo events, etc. at all because I honestly would not have been able to I was terrified to even go to the TATINOF I went to in Leeds because it was at a venue I wasn't familiar with!
i honestly think it's safe to say that it wasn't an exaggeration. the instance where people discussed him mentioning anxiety in a tweet and him clarifying in the upcoming lifeshow that he didn't mean social anxiety disorder comes to mind. (i don't remember when that was and also hope i remember correctly.) i think he's generally careful with wording, especially in an edited video, and wouldn't specifically say to have mild agoraphobia to exaggerate. i'm proud of him too and somewhat glad he mentioned it. i agree with thinking it would be interesting to hear him talk about it more.
thank's you were great
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I don't really have any new opinions on Dan's video but I'm going to share them anyway.
I enjoyed the video, it was funny. His OTT reactions were a bit much and a tiny bit cringy. I liked how he kinda looked back on his year without making it a serious video and that it was so long. I think that his casual audience wouldn't really care about him getting all sappy and the rest of us know more about him through twitter and the ls, therefore I am not bothered by the fact that he claimed the phandom only cared about making fun of him. I really love his humour, it's very, very similar to my own.
I do prefer last year's video, though, because I wasn't around for any of the memes when they happened. So I kind of had the experience a casual viewer has. I think that those videos are mostly more appealing to casual viewers and that's the point of them

I just look forward to this year. Will they have a more regular uploading schedule ( )? Will they try new stuff? Will the post-baking universe atmosphere stay? It sounds like this is going to be their "chill" year where they don't do much/anything outside of YouTube and relax a little. So I'm not really a "they move 2k17" believer, but who knows
pulvis et umbra sumus
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I would love for some people with agoraphobia to elaborate what their definition of "mild agoraphobia" would be (even though it's a case to case basis, I'm just curious. I have mild agoraphobia and I'll elaborate on what it "is" to me in my experience. (Under the spoiler because it's not directly deppy related)
I'm someone who gets random panic attacks so for me it comes from that. I'm horrified of having an attack in public. I call it mild because I can and do go outside, I'm not going full Brian Wilson. I just need to be with someone I am close with and I'd never be able to go anywhere I'm not at least a little comfortable with without having a really hard time, so props to Dan.
So I guess I'm just curious how wide the spectrum of mild agoraphobia is if that makes sense? I was never told if it ALWAYS relates to panic attacks like in my case, or if it can be general anxiety and depression too.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I finally got round to watching the whole Dan meme video. I did enjoy it, and I didn't think he was too loud until right at end. I didn't really think there were that many memes last year and he didn't seem to have much content for some of the sections as he brushed over them quickly, I mean the danger men at work wasn't really a meme, people just liked that part of the documentary. I did wonder if the email he showed from 'janice' was real, maybe it's just because they've used the name Janice before that it made me kinda skeptical although I think that email was probably my favourite bit after the slowed down choking video reaction.

It also really made me wish danisnotonfirevyou1 would start uploading again, I miss her edits a lot.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

phanbanter wrote:He talks about his own life as a teenager towards the end of the clip as well; what do you think of it? And how much do we know about his young adulthood? All I've seen is his tumblr reply to someone in 2009 where he talks about how some children beat him. Anyone care to elaborate?
I feel like he's probably mentioned stuff on the radio show more than anywhere else, since that's generally where one-line personal history mentions and anecdotes happened. My brain archive of radio shows is seriously lacking, though. Hopefully someone else more familiar with them can chime in.

But I just went and actually typed out what all he said in the Draw My Life video about his teen years (and a little before that). He went to musical theater school on Sundays, but doesn't seem to have an overwhelmingly bad opinion of that. He describes secondary school as hell via drawing and then:
This is the part of the video where the music stops and it gets really sad and I explain that sometimes it wasn't that great because the place was full of giant dickheads. Now, if my utterly friendly and joyful personality didn't help me out in preschool it definitely didn't help me out here, as for some reason being nice was clearly a bad thing that needed to be punished. The thing was, I never retaliated to anything, which when I looked back I thought, man I wish I'd just threw my shoe at that guy or made a classy 'your mum' joke. But now I realize all these kids probably had shitty things happening in their lives, and I was kind of being the bigger person.

So yeah, the joys of being a teenager. School, homework, family drama, friend drama, the dog dies, hormones, fun fun fun. But guess what? Everybody had to deal with that kind of stuff. And like everyone says, it gets better, you just need to survive and one day you'll be where I am seeing that they're all unemployed burger flippers and unfriending them on facebook.

I did have a few good friends and a couple inspirational teachers and all that coupled with video games equals a lot of procrastination. I was so lame back then, I remember seeing pictures of emo guys on myspace being like 'wow, they look so cool.' Yeah, I'm totes emo now.

Thankfully I got over that and had that piano and my nerdy obsession with acting to keep me occupied as I was in a load of productions in a nearby theater. Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story, and Fame, and blah blah blah. But then when I was seventeen, I kind of changed my mind. I don't know why. These kids who were mildly cooler than the nerds I ate lunch with were all, "Hey Dan, you should come down litres of cider in the woods with us at ten pm." And this little voice in my head said, "Dan, you'll never actually be an actor, you know that right?" So I went yeah, probs, okay then, and ditched everything.

I had a lot of fun and sometimes incredibly embarrassing moments with these guys, including going to Reading Festival four years in a row and, uh, that time we went on a surfing holiday where I accidentally pulled the string off a girl's bikini on the beach and felt so bad about it I cried. I actually had a girlfriend for over three years, which was cool but that's not really the period in your life where you need a commitment. We inevitably broke it off because it was time for university.