Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Timestamps for Phil's liveshow - 2 February 2017
1:21 - Phil went for a jog today. He references having gotten healthier before the tour as a motivation.
2:00 - Phil sprinting would look like a giraffe on an ice rink.
2:35 - "Check in next week and see if I've done any more. Probably not."
3:00 - Birthday haul starts with a musical interlude.
3:10 - Showing off his new vans from Martyn, with turquoise laces. "What a good brother!"
4:09 - Phil does not know how to lace shoes.
4:24 - His mum worked in a shoe shop when she was sixteen.
4:54 - Phil's shoelaces come undone an average of three to four times a day.
5:20 - He seems genuinely bashful about being called out for not knowing how to tie shoelaces here. It's the same expression/tone he had in a previous liveshow when people were teasing him for his selfie face.
5:32 - Phil is shoe-commitment phobic, doesn't like double knots.
5:44 - "I'm a sock guy." Phil actually taking a moment in his liveshow to specifically antagonize jesp, good job.
5:50 - Candle; does not say who it is from. Cornelia maybe?
6:52 - Phil's Candle Review Goes Dark: "Cut me open and turn me into wax. My blood. That's what my insides probably smell like after all the sweets I've been eating."
7:04 - Snazzy beetle jumper from parents.
7:30 - "One thing" Dan got him was a sushi gummy set. It made him think of tour; he was obsessed with it. Also the case the place they order sushi from delivers in.
8:47 - Covers his mouth while chewing.
8:54 - His grandmother used to call licorice 'spanish.'
9:07 - His chopsticking has improved since Japan.
9:40 - Book about socks; does not say who it is from. Suspect it was included just to further antagonize jesp.
10:17 - Firefly on Bluray. (This seems like a Dan present, given that it's self-serving and he can watch too.)
10:30 - Terrarium from 'friends' - Bryony and Wirrow?
11:00 - Lava lamp. He had one ages ago and it broke, and he missed it. "He thought it would match the color of my room, so I could maybe have it in the background of videos." They relax Phil; he can watch them for 20 minutes without getting bored. This is the first time we've seen the calming present theme extent to Phil.
12:45 - Talks about the weather up north. "Every day was a good day for going outside, going for a walk, hanging out by the beach."
13:17 - Afternoon tea.
13:55 - His mum made him a cake.
14:50 - He mentions weird sugar dreams.
15:00 - Italian meal
15:12 - He watched a lot of movies over his bithday, and recommends Hunt for the Wilder People. (Lester fam + Dan and Cornelia movie bonding time, yes. Good.)
16:15 - Emu egg update. I'm taking a coffe break, this is boring.
19:10 - Australian accent that I am told by an actual Australian is still quite offensively bad.
20:10 - "These are not hands made for fiddly things."
20:39 - 'Controversial opinion' on the Beauty and the Beast remake.
21:00 - He thinks Beauty and the Beast is a good story. *cough*furry*cough*
22:30 - Phil's comments on Dan's fall: "It was a mixture of hilarious and genuine cocern...ity. "It was quite an epic fall, that's all all I'll say." "Yeah, he hurt his knee and his hand, I think." "He's quite a tall guy so when you fall to the ground it's quite a long way to fall."
23:35 - There should always be Sharknados. (Correct opinion.)
24:28 - New video talk. "Mainly pregnancy, is what it sounds like. So I might be pregnant. I felt a few kicks, but that was probably all the Italian food."
25:17 - Phil predicted Beyonce's twins; he is channeling Beyonce.
27:21 - Phil apparently has a lot of thoughts on The Quickening and I'm intrigued.
27:30 - During his 8-ball answering bit, Phil's dismissal of people with questions about school and graduation made me laugh. That seemed like a genuine moment of realness.
28:05 - "Does my crush like me back?" Phil the matchmaker.
28:22 - Phil starts talking about doing things for someone for Valentines Day and seems to rethink that line of thought real fast.
29:19 - "Will you ever get a dog?" "Yes! It just says yes."
31:01 - Firefly sounds like Cowboy Bebop.
31:56 - Start of the cliff walk story. "Meant to be exciting for me but it turned out to have the opposite effect."
32:56 - "The path was muddy and slippery, and Dan had already slipped over once."
33:22 - "All of my family and Cornelia were just like, yeah, whatever, I'll do it. I just stood behind the wall and watched everyone because I was too scared. I felt silly and I don't usually have that reaction to things that are high, but I freaked out. My brain was just like nope nope nope, time to go." Still fascinated by Phil talking about something that was scary to him.
35:14 - More DITL videos; he'll vlog it if he does anything interesting.
35:50 - More talking about jogging. He was listening to music but stopped because he was afraid he'd be hit.
36:30 - They had fish and chips for dinner the night before.
38:15 - His mum bought him red velvet cookies since he didn't get red velvet cake.
38:42 - They got the seasonal tasting menu at the sushi place for his friend birthday celebration. Phil has restaurant birthday singing anxiety; same.
39:40 - Free cake. Wow, Lesters, why so cheap.
40:50 - Promoting the Whose Your Daddy gaming video.
41:25 - Phil, for some strange reason, begins imagining how he'd need to baby proof their house.
42:09 - He played Mario Kart this morning.
42:32 - Dead pigeon story.
43:51 - He is still watching The original The Killing and Homeland.
45:07 - Also, Steven Universe.
45:28 - He prefers Christmas because it's about everyone and not just him.
45:50 - He's going to try and make the sushi last all week, but is aware that he has no self-control.
46:10 - Gives actually decent advice about how to handle a job trial.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote:Timestamps for Phil's liveshow - 2 February 2017
1:21 - Phil went for a jog today. He references having gotten healthier before the tour as a motivation.
2:00 - Phil sprinting would look like a giraffe on an ice rink.
2:35 - "Check in next week and see if I've done any more. Probably not."
3:00 - Birthday haul starts with a musical interlude.
3:10 - Showing off his new vans from Martyn, with turquoise laces. "What a good brother!"
4:09 - Phil does not know how to lace shoes.
4:24 - His mum worked in a shoe shop when she was sixteen.
4:54 - Phil's shoelaces come undone an average of three to four times a day.
5:20 - He seems genuinely bashful about being called out for not knowing how to tie shoelaces here. It's the same expression/tone he had in a previous liveshow when people were teasing him for his selfie face.
5:32 - Phil is shoe-commitment phobic, doesn't like double knots.
5:44 - "I'm a sock guy." Phil actually taking a moment in his liveshow to specifically antagonize jesp, good job.
5:50 - Candle; does not say who it is from. Cornelia maybe?
6:52 - Phil's Candle Review Goes Dark: "Cut me open and turn me into wax. My blood. That's what my insides probably smell like after all the sweets I've been eating."
7:04 - Snazzy beetle jumper from parents.
7:30 - "One thing" Dan got him was a sushi gummy set. It made him think of tour; he was obsessed with it. Also the case the place they order sushi from delivers in.
8:47 - Covers his mouth while chewing.
8:54 - His grandmother used to call licorice 'spanish.'
9:07 - His chopsticking has improved since Japan.
9:40 - Book about socks; does not say who it is from. Suspect it was included just to further antagonize jesp.
10:17 - Firefly on Bluray. (This seems like a Dan present, given that it's self-serving and he can watch too.)
10:30 - Terrarium from 'friends' - Bryony and Wirrow?
11:00 - Lava lamp. He had one ages ago and it broke, and he missed it. "He thought it would match the color of my room, so I could maybe have it in the background of videos." They relax Phil; he can watch them for 20 minutes without getting bored. This is the first time we've seen the calming present theme extent to Phil.
12:45 - Talks about the weather up north. "Every day was a good day for going outside, going for a walk, hanging out by the beach."
13:17 - Afternoon tea.
13:55 - His mum made him a cake.
14:50 - He mentions weird sugar dreams.
15:00 - Italian meal
15:12 - He watched a lot of movies over his bithday, and recommends Hunt for the Wilder People. (Lester fam + Dan and Cornelia movie bonding time, yes. Good.)
16:15 - Emu egg update. I'm taking a coffe break, this is boring.
19:10 - Australian accent that I am told by an actual Australian is still quite offensively bad.
20:10 - "These are not hands made for fiddly things."
20:39 - 'Controversial opinion' on the Beauty and the Beast remake.
21:00 - He thinks Beauty and the Beast is a good story. *cough*furry*cough*
22:30 - Phil's comments on Dan's fall: "It was a mixture of hilarious and genuine cocern...ity. "It was quite an epic fall, that's all all I'll say." "Yeah, he hurt his knee and his hand, I think." "He's quite a tall guy so when you fall to the ground it's quite a long way to fall."
23:35 - There should always be Sharknados. (Correct opinion.)
24:28 - New video talk. "Mainly pregnancy, is what it sounds like. So I might be pregnant. I felt a few kicks, but that was probably all the Italian food."
25:17 - Phil predicted Beyonce's twins; he is channeling Beyonce.
27:21 - Phil apparently has a lot of thoughts on The Quickening and I'm intrigued.
27:30 - During his 8-ball answering bit, Phil's dismissal of people with questions about school and graduation made me laugh. That seemed like a genuine moment of realness.
28:05 - "Does my crush like me back?" Phil the matchmaker.
28:22 - Phil starts talking about doing things for someone for Valentines Day and seems to rethink that line of thought real fast.
29:19 - "Will you ever get a dog?" "Yes! It just says yes."
31:01 - Firefly sounds like Cowboy Bebop.
31:56 - Start of the cliff walk story. "Meant to be exciting for me but it turned out to have the opposite effect."
32:56 - "The path was muddy and slippery, and Dan had already slipped over once."
33:22 - "All of my family and Cornelia were just like, yeah, whatever, I'll do it. I just stood behind the wall and watched everyone because I was too scared. I felt silly and I don't usually have that reaction to things that are high, but I freaked out. My brain was just like nope nope nope, time to go." Still fascinated by Phil talking about something that was scary to him.
35:14 - More DITL videos; he'll vlog it if he does anything interesting.
35:50 - More talking about jogging. He was listening to music but stopped because he was afraid he'd be hit.
36:30 - They had fish and chips for dinner the night before.
38:15 - His mum bought him red velvet cookies since he didn't get red velvet cake.
38:42 - They got the seasonal tasting menu at the sushi place for his friend birthday celebration. Phil has restaurant birthday singing anxiety; same.
39:40 - Free cake. Wow, Lesters, why so cheap.
40:50 - Promoting the Whose Your Daddy gaming video.
41:25 - Phil, for some strange reason, begins imagining how he'd need to baby proof their house.
42:09 - He played Mario Kart this morning.
42:32 - Dead pigeon story.
43:51 - He is still watching The original The Killing and Homeland.
45:07 - Also, Steven Universe.
45:28 - He prefers Christmas because it's about everyone and not just him.
45:50 - He's going to try and make the sushi last all week, but is aware that he has no self-control.
46:10 - Gives actually decent advice about how to handle a job trial.
Thanks for this .
The fact that he said he prefers Christmas because it's about everyone is so sweet ^.^-what an adorable little squish
:D
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Uhf, Dan in the new photo. He looks so like he used to with that expression on his face. I love Phil's all-natural nature of cartoon animals, they're very cute.
Truth_or_cliche
delia smith

Wow, I cannot keep up with D&P lately and I love it. They seem so happy and content and positive right now and that for some reason makes me happy and content and positive also. Whatever they've been doing lately they should keep it up. It's nice. All these pics are way too cute, I can hardly handle it. And if that fan pic is of Phil out jogging, I hope he becomes a gym rat and we get a ton of gym selfies because holy shit!! Ahh, what a great time to be D&P trash
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

All I have to say about this is.... Phil's brain. Unbelievable. :lol:

ETA: The whole conversation at around 12:23 was hilarious. He got what he wanted and it was all very cute and dare I say a bit... domestic.
Last edited by rizzo on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

in the process of watching the new dan vs phil and it's so cute and entertaining. they seem so happy and flirty in their newest videos :3
:transheart:
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Phil truly is a fascinating person. Like, wow. Sometimes I'm still surprised :o Jeez, I just love that guy. I also loved how Dan was so desperate to help Phil even though it was a DvP but it didn't do anything. Bless them, they made me smile in a few seconds and laugh throughout the whole video
pulvis et umbra sumus
Truth_or_cliche
delia smith

rizzo wrote:

ETA: The whole conversation at around 12:23 was hilarious. He got what he wanted and it was all very cute and dare I say a bit... domestic.
Jfc I legit laughed out loud at this video. Especially Phil screaming " You stupid woman" and Dan's slew of expletives I now have much more understanding for Dan screaming all the time, because by the time it got to the pool I found myself screaming "just draw a fucking pool!!" Lmao, oh Phil. also, squeed at the part where they're basically staring at each other Grade A video, 10/10 will watch again.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

I'm about 10 minutes into the new vid and I've had to stop watching in order to calm down. How does Phil put up with the continuous stream of ridicule. They're not "Banting". Dans being an asshole imo. Yes Phils drawings are terrible but Dan's aren't that great either. If I was Phil I would probably have left the room or hit him.
Aaaaagggh it's so stressful to watch. :(
I know Dan feels like he has to keep talking to fill the silence and Phil is being REALLY quiet, but he's probably quiet BECAUSE Dan is heckling him.
I just want to slap Dan and take Phil out of the room and hug him.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
lerien
squish

I loved this video so much. Phil's lateral thinking is precious. I'm always so heart-warmed by people who had succeeded in keeping their individualities despite society trying to fit all of us (and our thoughts) in boxes. I'm just

(Plus, each time one of them is saying "Danny", I feel a little more dead inside )
"I'm okay with things being awkward between us."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bluntedclaws wrote:I'm about 10 minutes into the new vid and I've had to stop watching in order to calm down. How does Phil put up with the continuous stream of ridicule. They're not "Banting". Dans being an asshole imo. Yes Phils drawings are terrible but Dan's aren't that great either. If I was Phil I would probably have left the room or hit him.
I know Dan feels like he has to keep talking to fill the silence and Phil is being REALLY quiet, but he's probably quiet BECAUSE Dan is heckling him.
I actually think we're seeing Phil still in the midst of transition between AmazingPhil instincts and actual Phil instincts. I don't for a second think in their real life when playing a game that Phil would put up with that much heckling from Dan without giving back just as good as he was getting, but Phil isn't used to showing that kind of interaction at all. I was pleased when Phil did actually snap back at him a couple of times.

(I also don't think Dan's heckling really bothers Phil. I don't think Dan would do it if it really bothered Phil. I just think because we're so used to AmazingPhil being this gentle creature of sunshine and cinnamon that it pains us more to see him be yelled at.)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

bluntedclaws wrote:I'm about 10 minutes into the new vid and I've had to stop watching in order to calm down. How does Phil put up with the continuous stream of ridicule. They're not "Banting". Dans being an asshole imo. Yes Phils drawings are terrible but Dan's aren't that great either. If I was Phil I would probably have left the room or hit him.
Huh? That's just mocking between friends? Me and my friends would talk to each other like that as well. Besides, after all those years, Dan knows what Phil thinks is fine and what he doesn't like. He wouldn't hurt him for the sake of entertainment. And I'm sure Phil would say something if it bothered him.
pulvis et umbra sumus
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I didn't get that impression after watching it. I think they're always like that towards each other. I mean, if I was Dan I would be shouting at Phil too because he is utterly rubbish at these kind of things
I actually felt myself getting frustrated at his drawings tbh, but they both made me laugh so much. I don't think Dan was an asshole at all.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
lerien
squish

alittledizzy wrote:
I actually think we're seeing Phil still in the midst of transition between AmazingPhil instincts and actual Phil instincts. I don't for a second thing in their real life when playing a game that Phil would put up with that much heckling from Dan without giving back just as good as he was getting, but Phil isn't used to showing that kind of interaction at all. I was pleased when Phil did actually snap back at him a couple of times.

(I also don't think Dan's heckling really bothers Phil. I don't think Dan would do it if it really bothered Phil. I just think because we're so used to AmazingPhil being this gentle creature of sunshine and cinnamon that it pains us more to see him be yelled at.)
I quite agree. I think that on a daily basis, they sass each other all the time but Phil just would not do this on camera (sometimes, sass slips from him though. I live for these moments). He seemed to change a bit and ditch his "sweet" persona on DAPG though (I'm also thinking about his checky sexual innuendos here).
Plus, Dan has a really abrasive sense of humour but I kind of feel that Phil shares it.
"I'm okay with things being awkward between us."
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

nephilimcat wrote:
Huh? That's just mocking between friends? Me and my friends would talk to each other like that as well. Besides, after all those years, Dan knows what Phil thinks is fine and what he doesn't like. He wouldn't hurt him for the sake of entertainment. And I'm sure Phil would say something if it bothered him.
I wouldn't mind if Phil heckled as well but it's always so one sided. I found the blindfolded Portal video really hard to watch for the same reason although it seemed like everyone else liked it.
Sorry if I say something wrong. My first language is sarcasm. I've never really learned English
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Phil at 7:17 calling the AI a stupid woman and immediately putting his hands over his mouth in shock.
Definitely seeing more of ''actual Phil'' as Alittledizzy said, if subtle
:D
nephilimcat
woodland creature

bluntedclaws wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:
I wouldn't mind if Phil heckled as well but it's always so one sided. I found the blindfolded Portal video really hard to watch for the same reason although it seemed like everyone else liked it.
I get why you feel that way, when I first watched the Portal video, I felt the same because I hadn't watched many of their videos at that point, but now that I know how well they know each other and how they behave in their videos, I don't feel uncomfortable anymore.
pulvis et umbra sumus
misakichan274
delia smith
Pronouns: she/they

Post Posted by Truth_or_cliche » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:03 pm

rizzo wrote:

Jfc I legit laughed out loud at this video. Especially Phil screaming " You stupid woman" and Dan's slew of expletives I now have much more understanding for Dan screaming all the time, because by the time it got to the pool I found myself screaming "just draw a fucking pool!!" Lmao, oh Phil. also, squeed at the part where they're basically staring at each other Grade A video, 10/10 will watch again.
Same. I had to pause because I was laughing so loudly I kept missing their dialogue

I too, like Dan was amazed at how skewed Phil's interpretation was :lol: But like he mentioned, the wrong handedness, the mouse sensitivity and the somewhat easier words Dan got didn't work in his favour either :P I noticed Phil stop himself from justifying his drawings a lot, (maybe because he didn't want to seem whiny?) we're used to whiny!Dan, so please don't hold yourself back!

Also loved the Bianca has a crush on Dan's curls convo, I see Phil didn't deny the appeal of the curls

Loved this video so much, I'm feeling too spoiled right now
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan got a lot of easy ones compared to Phil who got shit like lobsters and zebras... Like Phil was awful (how the shit do you fuck up an umbrella that bad?) but I can't say this was a completely deserved win. Not really a good fair game for DvsP imo

Aside from that, I liked the video and enjoyed all the bickering with each other and the robot. Dan could've maybe toned it down a bit because he was doing the absolute most at some parts (and I do agree with bluntedclaws that in some parts it was a too one sided) but in general it was honestly really funny.

Dan not being able to be properly mad at Phil's 'we're not playing best of 3, we're playing 3 rounds' and fondly smiling through his weak protests tho
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
SquishPhan
capita£ester

That was very funny. Phil was really bad at it, but I always like to see how his brain works and how he sees thigs, so that is a big plus.
Do agree that it wasn't really a fair game for a Dan vs. Phil vid since it did seem like Dan got easier ones (though Phil got pool and still managed to screw it up), but it is only a game, so I don't care that much.
scientia
phabergé

bluntedclaws wrote:
nephilimcat wrote:
I completely agree with you re: the heckling! I personally can't really watch the DvP videos because it sometimes gets really out of hand. Even if it is for entertainment purposes, it doesn't need to be as severe as it sometimes gets
human
dan hand trash

He's not being an asshole at all, they're just joking around in the video obvs. Besides, it bothers me to see people criticising Dan for being loud or talking a lot; that's just the way he is and he can't change the way his voice sounds. I think it's mean to make a personal dig at him like that imo and it makes me uncomfortable every time I see it on idb.

I do find it amusing though how Dan is loud and annoying and Phil gets sympathy, yet Phil actually blatantly cheated in the game but that's overlooked because it was all in good fun. Mhmm.

Anyway!

I adore the video, it made me laugh a lot. Nice surprise too as I wasn't expecting there to be a video at all. I'm really curious why they prefilmed when they said they did and what their thought process is about how much they're uploading right now. Almost as if they're leading upto an absence or something but then Dan said there was nothing career-wise coming up. Mhmmmm.
papierklemmen
flower crown

human wrote:I'm really curious why they prefilmed when they said they did and what their thought process is about how much they're uploading right now. Almost as if they're leading upto an absence or something but then Dan said there was nothing career-wise coming up. Mhmmmm.
lol you can see deppy did a number on their viewers when a completely normal uploading schedule (a few times a week) seems menacing. they did say they were going to focus on youtube, didn't they? i'd say uploading more frequently is one way to do it... obviously they find it easier to pop out gaming videos while their individual content is still cooking, but at least it's something.
Philena
blobfish

I loved the game! Dan heckled Phil exactly how I heckle my loved ones during an intense and silly game. I can see why some think it's mean, but I think it's normal with exciting game play

I like how Dan was quick to defend Phil and his "lateral thinking." I was also completely flabbergasted by Phil's approach to some of those prompts. Like wtf, Phil.
bluntedclaws
rainbow nerd

human wrote:
He's not being an asshole at all, they're just joking around in the video obvs. Besides, it bothers me to see people criticising Dan for being loud or talking a lot; that's just the way he is and he can't change the way his voice sounds. I think it's mean to make a personal dig at him like that imo and it makes me uncomfortable every time I see it on idb.

I do find it amusing though how Dan is loud and annoying and Phil gets sympathy, yet Phil actually blatantly cheated in the game but that's overlooked because it was all in good fun. Mhmm.

Anyway!

I adore the video, it made me laugh a lot. Nice surprise too as I wasn't expecting there to be a video at all. I'm really curious why they prefilmed when they said they did and what their thought process is about how much they're uploading right now. Almost as if they're leading upto an absence or something but then Dan said there was nothing career-wise coming up. Mhmmmm.
Oh come on. In NO way was I criticizing Dan for being loud or talking too much, or for the way his voice sounds. I don't get how you interpreted that? I was criticizing him for being continually unneccessarily mean about Phils drawing skills.
I actually didn't get to the bit where Phil cheated on my first watch. I mentioned that I was only 10 minutes in.