Dan & Phil Part 38: Everlasting as the Sun

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

fancybum, you continue to be my hero.

(also seriously, I hope that hygienist isn't aware he's on youtube/never stumbles over that. whatever the opposite of a meet-cute is, that'd be it.)
queerofcups wrote:using my first post (hi guys) to say i can't believe that liveshow thumbnail didn't blow up more. i feel like he was going for goofy and landed on 'surprise, i'm quite attractive'
Welcome!! I agree, lmao - I mean he is kind of goofy but definitely didn't play it up nearly as much as he could have.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

apathy wrote:
oqua wrote:On the subject of clickbait (kind of), I was watching a 2013 liveshow and there was this fascinating part where Dan is in the background trying to choose a video thumbnail, and Phil offers his advice. I just love these little glimpses of behind-the-scenes stuff and insight into Deppy's dynamic when it comes to things like this.
I love old liveshows and got distracted by watching more of this one, and found that it holds another of my favorite dynamic moments: Around 27:12 Phil starts putting glow-in-the-dark stickers on his face (commenting about it being 2017 fashion which is funnier now). Dan's first comment (29:07) is a "WTF are you doing? / Of course you are" that later changes to "lol jk, I'm justjealous. I wanna do this" (31:10) and he does.

That initial sarcastic/skeptic role of "you're so weird" Dan goes to gets played up so much, even more lately, and maybe it is his natural reaction with his personality. But it's kind of interesting to see a live example of the wall breaking to switch to how he actually loves it and can't help following along. And Phil isn't at all surprised by either reaction.
Ahhhh yes, this is so cute. And you're right, it's an interesting insight into Dan's "this guy" attitude.

During the same segment, where Phil is predicting future fashion/trends, there's another verrrry interesting moment, for anyone interested in the Lester family and/or Phil's feelings about gender roles.

At 28:30 -

Phil: [talking about future fashion] I think hair styles will get more interesting. I reckon more colors will be more— I know anyone can have any kind of color hair, but it still seems like 'oooh.' While, erm...in the future, everyone will just have whatever color hair they want and no one will really care. Like, my grandad is really against people coloring their— well boys coloring their hair. He thinks it's a girly thing. But that's 'cause he's from a different time.

Dan: [offscreen] Homosen— [the sound cuts out here] —sexual—

Phil: It's not really 'homophobia', it's more like...metrosexualphobia.

I wonder if Phil's grandad gave/gives Phil himself a hard time about his hair, or if he just talks disparagingly about other people's dyed hair. Either way, I feel like Phil seems genuinely bothered by it. And I know he's just kind of being silly with the whole predicting-the-future thing, but I thought his little speech about how someday everyone will be able to dye their hair whatever color they want without anyone caring was sweet and a bit sad.

Phil's clarification that "it's not really homophobia" was also very interesting.

But anyway, something else to throw in the pile of "the Lesters are big on gender roles" evidence. :/
busy being happy~
flurry
living flop

With regards to the "borderline out" convo some pages ago (I'm sorry the time zones make me permanently behind on this thread!) I do agree with the poster who said that we shouldn't really be speculating that in a way? Not saying that we are to censor the discussion, but I feel that saying they are "borderline out" already comes with a set of implications ie that they are in a closet, that they are together and that they are slowly leaving the closet - none of which have actually been confirmed by them but are nonetheless stated factually here. It just makes me feel like we impose certain situations upon them and our ideas cloud our thinking - just like the discussion awhile back about now being the best time to come out - which again I feel obscures the issue that coming out is a personal thing rather than seeing what the audience wants. This is a forum for discussion though and these are just my thoughts on the matter!

TLDR; we assume they're in the closet, romantically together and are coming out hence the language we use and the discussions we have - not necessarily something to avoid but maybe just to be aware of these assumptions
Phantasy
woodland creature

queerofcups wrote:using my first post (hi guys) to say i can't believe that liveshow thumbnail didn't blow up more. i feel like he was going for goofy and landed on 'surprise, i'm quite attractive'

No doubt, sweaty and sensual is a good look for him...
(hope he didn't feel body shamed into jogging after all the thicc thigh discussion )
flurry
living flop

Also this isn't very on topic for the current LS discussion but as someone who watched them before the 2012 issue, I feel like the meaning and attitude of shippers has also changed. Prior to 2012 shipping Dan and Phil meant writing them into fics as characters etc. with a clear distinction between the fictional "shipped" Dan and Phil and the real people. In 2012 that changed such that fans were shipping the actual people and saying they were together (which personally as someone who has been shipped before with boys who I wasn't actually together with, can epically destroy friendships) - which is where I think they also changed the way they interacted or viewed their fans and the whole shipping culture and the term "phan" in general. I wonder if anyone else agrees?
gnostic
stress mushroom

Maybe now that Dan and Phil finally properly watch Steven Universe they will accept that irrespective of romantic / platonic nature of their relationship, they are basically Garnet.
Just here for the marketing skills
momoroki
glabella

what a lovely liveshow! I've only really started watching liveshows recently so I don't really know what constitutes a "good" or "bad"" liveshow (seeing as all the recent ones seem to be relatively nice and relaxed) but I like it nonetheless. The only complaint I really have is Dan's comments on "YouNow having a better chat platform - I can see the bars and stuff you guys donate so it helps me appreciate the fans a bit better". Of course I am perfectly aware that Youtube is his job but it still squicks me out a bit personally

Other than that! Phil being mentioned as family will always have me their phrasing in terms of the IOM trip is def very interesting. It's funny how overly conscious Dan is about non-phandom members/casual fans - however I feel his statements "other youtubers being able to put out whatever shit they'd like to" and "i feel like the other members are constantly waiting, judging" kind of contradict each other though? Idk

I wonder if he feels that the phandom's judgement is overly clouded so the only "valid" criticism he can rely on is on a casual's viewpoint (to be fair after seeing the aptly put "overwhelming echo chamber of praise" that he gets it's easy to come to that idea - this was already covered ages ago but bringing it up again lol)

Edit: flurry i do agree that a lot of the arguments here operate on the base assumption that they are already "together", which of course hasn't been factually confirmed by deppy themselves. However I think it's understandable that based on their recent activity, the idea of them being in an actual relationship is becoming more and more plausible - therefore prompting more discussion on when they'll "come out".
flurry
living flop

Ah momoroki I do see you point there! Thanks for the response.

LS Thoughts: I really liked it this week - normally I find Dan rather boring in younow haha. I laughed out loud when he said he jogged to the soundtrack of La La Land - that might be the worst soundtrack to get someone active apart from the first two songs?

I also felt it was really interesting that he feels pressured specifically by DINOF subscribers to make high quality content - which means that a lot of his subscribers are casual watchers who subscribe only to him and not to Phil or to their Dan and Phil brand (at least this is how I see it) - it would explain why he rejected "fanservice" type ideas like applying nail polish on each other and maybe why he constantly seems to regret their makeup video too. I'm not sure if this pressure to perform and be arty and more high brow is necessarily good for him or if it's inhibitive but anyway if it produces videos like his piano teacher sketch I think it's not bad for the moment!!

I also found it very fascinating that he was looking for commiserations on his video comments - like he didn't want positive anecdotes of teacher experiences but he wanted some that would rival his in terms of horrifying behaviour? I'm not sure if he meant that seriously because the comment section would then be a terribly depressing place - especially since his own "horror" story would then really be just the tip of the iceberg I feel (I have such stories of my own but I feel like posting them in the comment section amongst all the happy stories would be a bit much :P )

Anyway yay for LS I liked it and he didn't mention his music tastes in a patronising tone (yay!)
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Apparently Dan and Phil are going back to Australia in April?! This is so bizarre, I thought they were dead set on not travelling far this year. Especially since they were in AUS not too long ago....
helloflyingjellyfish
tol bean

idk wrote:Apparently Dan and Phil are going back to Australia in April?! This is so bizarre, I thought they were dead set on not travelling far this year. Especially since they were in AUS not too long ago....
Holy shit!! But yeah I thought they were just gonna chill this year from all of last year's craziness with the books and tour but not complaining (even though I probably won't go)
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

idk wrote:Apparently Dan and Phil are going back to Australia in April?! This is so bizarre, I thought they were dead set on not travelling far this year. Especially since they were in AUS not too long ago....
what???? that's so strange omg, maybe they were offered a good deal?? they're so sneaky, damn. i probably won't go anyway, but god that really did come out of the blue
SquishPhan
capita£ester

idk wrote:Apparently Dan and Phil are going back to Australia in April?!
This is so bizarre, I thought they were dead set on not travelling far this year. Especially since they were in AUS not too long ago....
Huh, I did not see this coming. Guess they changed their minds and did want to go back to Australia.
flurry
living flop

captainspacecoat wrote:
re: the anti-Trump petition - found it interesting that he seemed more hung up about the incorrect spelling of his username than the actual cause of the petition. I'm sure most people reading the article weren't bothered by it, they were probably more interested in the fact that these celebrities/public figures are using their influence for good. He seemed almost insecure about the whole thing, which gives me the vibe that he really does fear judgment/backlash for engaging with politics. I hope he gets more comfortable about it, I think it's such a great thing for him ...
I don't know if it's just me but I felt like he was a bit embarrassed about the fact that he's so unknown/YouTubers in general (are) is so unknown that they put his YouTube user in the papers beside his name. I also felt like he didn't want serious politically inclined people who read about it to go to YouTube to watch his videos? Like it would lower his political seriousness because he was a YouTuber which to the general public might still not be considered a real job or anything like "high brow" TV, stand up or sketch comics for instance - of which many have their names on the protest too
basictrashfan
crusty sponge

Unless they will be performing something it sounds like a pretty chill-ish event with meet and greets.
hit me up on the tumbs
@basictrashfan
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

basictrashfan wrote: Unless they will be performing something it sounds like a pretty chill-ish event with meet and greets.
i was thinking the same thing -- maybe they did want to go back to australia and took the opportunity? they might stay for a holiday without having the accompanying stress of a tour. cuddle some more koalas, maybe, who knows...
thank's you were great
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

flurry wrote:
I don't know if it's just me but I felt like he was a bit embarrassed about the fact that he's so unknown/YouTubers in general (are) is so unknown that they put his YouTube user in the papers beside his name. I also felt like he didn't want serious politically inclined people who read about it to go to YouTube to watch his videos? Like it would lower his political seriousness because he was a YouTuber which to the general public might still not be considered a real job or anything like "high brow" TV, stand up or sketch comics for instance - of which many have their names on the protest too
That's a really good point actually! I don't doubt that he definitely felt that away, and was wary of the general reputation that youtubers have of being vapid, trashy, not really deserving of their success etc.

lurker wrote: was thinking the same thing -- maybe they did want to go back to australia and took the opportunity? they might stay for a holiday without having the accompanying stress of a tour. cuddle some more koalas, maybe, who knows...
I hope they stay! I think they would genuinely love Melbourne if they got to stay for more than like 48 hours, I feel like it's very much up their alley

(also sorry i've posted so much today, clearly i have no life )
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

captainspacecoat wrote: I hope they stay! I think they would genuinely love Melbourne if they got to stay for more than like 48 hours, I feel like it's very much up their alley

(also sorry i've posted so much today, clearly i have no life )
I was thinking the same! I was a bit disappointed last year when all they experienced of Melbourne was the rain lol. They basically zipped in and zipped out, not much time to see a lot.

I dunno if I will go since I've never been to a festival before and I have zero interest in anyone there other than Dan & Phil, but we shall see. I thought for sure they wouldn't come back here this year; Dan said in a liveshow that the plane trip was SO long and they just went to Australia for Tatinof, so probably wouldn't attend VidCon Aus. But now it looks like they'll be here anyway?!?! Basically I just want them to wake up and spill all the beans lol :lol: They can be quite good at keeping secret projects secret, it seems
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

mysterylovescompany wrote:
I was thinking the same! I was a bit disappointed last year when all they experienced of Melbourne was the rain lol. They basically zipped in and zipped out, not much time to see a lot.

I dunno if I will go since I've never been to a festival before and I have zero interest in anyone there other than Dan & Phil, but we shall see. I thought for sure they wouldn't come back here this year; Dan said in a liveshow that the plane trip was SO long and they just went to Australia for Tatinof, so probably wouldn't attend VidCon Aus. But now it looks like they'll be here anyway?!?! Basically I just want them to wake up and spill all the beans lol :lol: They can be quite good at keeping secret projects secret, it seems
Yeah, didn't Dan say in a liveshow just recently that they'd already "been there done that" re: Australia? Those sneaky buggers honestly, unless this is only a recent development. I'm surprised they didn't take Dan's liveshow last night as an opportunity to tell us before it was announced online.

Also yeah, I don't know if I'll go either. I think I'd feel a bit out of place among all the teenagers, plus like you I have no interest in anyone else there. But definitely happy they're coming to Melbourne and I hope this time they'll get to explore it a bit more!
papierklemmen
flower crown

maybe this opportunity wasn't on the horizon when they were talking about travelling etc., i guess vidcon is stressful or demanding and didn't want to go to more than one, but they got offered this trip and i guess it's good balance of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and not doing much, so why not. i doubt it was supposed to be some exciting secret project.
or maybe they are already bored.

[offtopic]lolzor if you google "treasure chest of companionship", the first non-phan related search result is the book "Capture Her Heart: Becoming the Godly Husband Your Wife Desires". :lol:

what kind of book is this, jeez
"When Art and I first got married, we viewed marriage as as overflowing treasure chest full of things like fun, security, companionship, adventure, good communication, and great sex. We were shocked to discover our chest was empty. We now know that if our marriage is going to be full of great things, it is up to us to fill our marriage chest with great treasures. Having a great marriage takes time, creativity, and a willingness to understand the needs of the other person. That's where this book is going to help you. You can't possibly meet the needs of your wife and fill up your marriage treasure chest if you don't know what her needs and desires are."
[/offtopic]
momoroki
glabella

*single tear rolls down my face* when ..., will something,, happen in brisbane,,, haha,, i'm fine, the fact that they'll be in australia and i won't get to see them Again doesn't bother me in the Slightest,

On the other hand, I am happy for the Melbourne + Sydney fans - I'm hoping for lots more cute Australian pics! I'm sure they'll love Melbourne, it's got a great vibe - also I need pics to console myself fjfhdf
malday
emo goose

Interesting...

UK- Australia: 21h flight.
Australia - Japan: 9h flight.

Japan cherry blossom season: late March - early/mid April.

interesting...
sentinel
lady door

That's nice, they can haul ass to the other side of the world, but can't be bothered with Europe? Thanks guys it's not like Amsterdam is literally a two hour flight away that you can be done with in a day.
lurker
janice from the shop

malday wrote:
Interesting...

UK- Australia: 21h flight.
Australia - Japan: 9h flight.

Japan cherry blossom season: late March - early/mid April.

interesting...

i mean this isn't even unrealistic.

also what happened to dan's eyes in that photo, he looks as if he's trying to say heeeelp me i was forced to go to this photoshoot.
thank's you were great
sparklemug
smol bean

Coming out of lurk mode to squeal about this, I can't believe they are coming back to Sydney, and that they're performing A SUBURB AWAY FROM WHERE I LIVE!!! I'm so overwhelmed right now!!!!
Birdie
blobfish

sentinel wrote:That's nice, they can haul ass to the other side of the world, but can't be bothered with Europe? Thanks guys it's not like Amsterdam is literally a two hour flight away that you can be done with in a day.
I thought we had established that Europe couldn't happen due to financial problems and the venues not being available? The Australia gig seems to be a one off thing sponsored and paid for by Amplify. The money for the tour had to come out of their own pockets, they had to organise it themselves etc. So if they wanted to go to Amsterdam they would have to pay for the venue and everything themselves. This Amplify thing probably doesn't cost them a penny. It's not about how far away a location is, it's about what kind of events they're invited to. So yeah, this criticism doesn't seem fair.