Dan & Phil Part 39: There's no integrity here

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
parallel
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

iero wrote:[tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/BFF ... 7542828436" data-did="da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709">[/tumblr]
is this paraphrased or..? i seemed to completely miss this part of the ls

edit: okay i just found the clip

starts at 8:23 but imo the part at 8:46 kinda cancels out what people are speculating... dno what it could be though
he immediately after says that it's something funny or something like that, so probably not coming out. he doesn't seem like the kind of person to do a video on his sexuality anyway. and i doubt it's coming out as deppy being together since if it involved phil i feel like dan would mention it and he makes it pretty clear that it's a dinof video? danisnotonfire to dan howell maybe?

if he's rebranding to dan howell will phil is not on fire become phil howell tho
Philena
blobfish

apathy wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:Phil should wear the troll wig during his next live show according to Dan.
Seems like almost every live show Dan promotes Phil’s one in some way.
This is an interesting trend. Reminds me of the radio show when they showed up on the chart to promote the request show, and then Aled showed up in that for his... meaning it feels like an intentional teaser and not just random at this point. More of the "all channels are OUR channels" philosophy this year?

(Gotta rewatch the live show now that I'm home. I have a weekly conference call at the same time so I always miss most of it. Stupid work getting in the way of my phandom time. )
You know what it reminds me of? That one ls where Dan called Kimye #(relationship?)goals, because Kim was using her social media for constant Kanye promo around the time he dropped lop.

Loved the ls. I actually really liked his ASMR, even if he was just joking around. And the chicken story was so much more funny as an actual story than as a tweet. Fave bit: Dan and Phil buying Motown singstar to play "privately," then forgetting about it and not knowing any lyrics
mez29
procrastinator

iero wrote:but imo the part at 8:46 kinda cancels out what people are speculating...
I don't see why it should (assuming you mean dinof > dh), I think it makes perfect sense for him to say the channel name is a big deal and also not: like in one sense it's his whole online identity, in another sense it's just a name and changing it wouldn't necessarily affect his content. The "cringing" bit could refer to the hundreds of times when people have written DanIsNotOnFire/Dan Is Not On Fire, I think, too.

Don't mind me I'm just desperate for DINOF to die. (the name, obviously.)
jesp
why bother

lurker wrote:lilMango, i'm 99% sure that some time before christmas, someone else sent dan a "say hi to indepthbants" message and he read it out loud, so i don't think you need to worry. or am i imagining things?
Someone did, yes.

Speaking as a poster, not a mod, I have to say that I dislike Dan {or Phil} being made aware of IDB, even if the chances of either of them bothering to google it are small.

People here talk about topics that could hurt or feel invasive to Dan or Phil, and while I think that if either of them were to find IDB on their own it would be fine, since they made the choice, telling them about this forum when many people here don't want them to know about the forum or the discussion here isn't cool.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

Could be his video about Kanye West too, he's been talking about that for years. Although Kanye has been extra controversial lately so I kind of doubt it. Him changing "danisnotonfire" to "Dan Howell" is a good guess.
iero
phabergé

emerald wrote: he immediately after says that it's something funny or something like that, so probably not coming out. he doesn't seem like the kind of person to do a video on his sexuality anyway. and i doubt it's coming out as deppy being together since if it involved phil i feel like dan would mention it and he makes it pretty clear that it's a dinof video? danisnotonfire to dan howell maybe?

if he's rebranding to dan howell will phil is not on fire become phil howell tho
yeah rebranding fits what he said, i can't think of anything else it could be. i can't imagine him doing a coming out video but i can maybe imagine him casually mentioning his sexuality
mez29 wrote:
I don't see why it should (assuming you mean dinof > dh), I think it makes perfect sense for him to say the channel name is a big deal and also not: like in one sense it's his whole online identity, in another sense it's just a name and changing it wouldn't necessarily affect his content. The "cringing" bit could refer to the hundreds of times when people have written DanIsNotOnFire/Dan Is Not On Fire, I think, too.

Don't mind me I'm just desperate for DINOF to die. (the name, obviously.)
my post was based on a bunch of people thinking it could be a coming out video. my guesses are on a rebranding vid
Last edited by iero on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laney
drama llama

emerald wrote:if he's rebranding to dan howell will phil is not on fire become phil howell tho
oh my God! I am suddenly not against dan changing from dinof to dan howell
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

"a long time coming"..."a big deal, and also not"...it's the vegas video

edit: i watched the part where he's talking about the video and i'm honestly a bit confused, it sounds like he's talking about two different videos, but when does he start to talk about the second one?
i have a very, very cheeky idea for the next danisnotonfire video, um -- which might be a long time coming, especially for people who watch the -- i don't know, i don't know if i'm ready. it's a big deal and also not. and also quite funny -- and that's another one, if you love cringing and just looking -- if you love laughing at my life being turned into a joke, you might enjoy that one. um. we'll see. maybe it'll be the video after next.
does that mean the next video is going to be funny, or are both going to be funny, or is he talking about the second one already?
Last edited by lurker on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thank's you were great
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Philena wrote:
apathy wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:Phil should wear the troll wig during his next live show according to Dan.
Seems like almost every live show Dan promotes Phil’s one in some way.
This is an interesting trend. Reminds me of the radio show when they showed up on the chart to promote the request show, and then Aled showed up in that for his... meaning it feels like an intentional teaser and not just random at this point. More of the "all channels are OUR channels" philosophy this year?

(Gotta rewatch the live show now that I'm home. I have a weekly conference call at the same time so I always miss most of it. Stupid work getting in the way of my phandom time. )
You know what it reminds me of? That one ls where Dan called Kimye #(relationship?)goals, because Kim was using her social media for constant Kanye promo around the time he dropped lop.
That is a good catch. Dan just wants to be at the same level of relationship goals as Kimye. ;)
jesp wrote:
lurker wrote:lilMango, i'm 99% sure that some time before christmas, someone else sent dan a "say hi to indepthbants" message and he read it out loud, so i don't think you need to worry. or am i imagining things?
Someone did, yes.

Speaking as a poster, not a mod, I have to say that I dislike Dan {or Phil} being made aware of IDB, even if the chances of either of them bothering to google it are small.

People here talk about topics that could hurt or feel invasive to Dan or Phil, and while I think that if either of them were to find IDB on their own it would be fine, since they made the choice, telling them about this forum when many people here don't want them to know about the forum or the discussion here isn't cool.
Have to say that I agree with this. I would be fine with them not knowing that we exist at all.
Laney
drama llama

lurker wrote:"a long time coming"..."a big deal, and also not"...it's the vegas video
now that would be unexpected
secretagentphan
procrastinator

The only thing that debunks the new video being about a name change for me is him referring to it as a "cheeky idea." I know Dan uses the word cheeky liberally but in that context to me him talking about a name change wouldn't make sense.
mez29
procrastinator

iero wrote:my post was based on a bunch of people thinking it could be a coming out video. my guesses are on a rebranding vid
I see, yes, that does sound unlikely
secretagentphan wrote:The only thing that debunks the new video being about a name change for me is him referring to it as a "cheeky idea." I know Dan uses the word cheeky liberally but in that context to me him talking about a name change wouldn't make sense.
I think it's the video about the name change that would be cheeky, not the actual name change? like "cheeky to turn something slightly meta into a video"
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I'm going to say this now and i'll be really happy if i'm wrong, but it's probably not going to be anything big. We're all like omg what is it?! and then it's going to be like the smallest thing no one even cares about.
Oh nooo my 200th post is me being a pessimistic bitch hahahah :( sorry
mio
#relatable

I am too tired to watch the whole liveshow tonight but let me just say. Dan. curly hair. beanie.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

secretagentphan wrote:The only thing that debunks the new video being about a name change for me is him referring to it as a "cheeky idea." I know Dan uses the word cheeky liberally but in that context to me him talking about a name change wouldn't make sense.
maybe it's "cheeky" because he announced it as a "danisnotonfire video", but if it's about the name change, it won't technically be a danisnotonfire video anymore. or he's referring to possibly choosing a clickbaity title, or maybe a super creative and funny way to announce the name change (raising expectations, nevermind me). i kind of agree, though, if it's really just a video where he makes the announcement and that's it, it wouldn't really make sense to call that a "cheeky" idea.
thank's you were great
papierklemmen
flower crown

deppy has a tendency, esp dan, to hype up their videos beyond belief and then it's "meh whatever", so whatever he thinks has been a long time coming for people who watch him is not gonna be anything let's be real. but i do think it MIGHT be the dinof > dan howell, maybe a list of stories how his dinof name made him embarrassed (like the story he told in the ls about the petition)?
Philena
blobfish

Eh, who knows? I was more intrigued by his bigger budget, artsy take on the 7 deadly sins, though I'm pretty sure Fincher already has that covered So, do you think we will some more artsy and non-yt things from deppy? That excites me.
malday
emo goose

papierklemmen wrote:deppy has a tendency, esp dan, to hype up their videos beyond belief and then it's "meh whatever", so whatever he thinks has been a long time coming for people who watch him is not gonna be anything let's be real. but i do think it MIGHT be the dinof > dan howell, maybe a list of stories how his dinof name made him embarrassed (like the story he told in the ls about the petition)?
It's probably just another overhype.

When he says " Which might be a long time coming, especially for the people who watch the.." and then he cuts off and goes "i don't know". That's just sounds like teasing to me, to build up the hype.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

papierklemmen wrote:deppy has a tendency, esp dan, to hype up their videos beyond belief and then it's "meh whatever", so whatever he thinks has been a long time coming for people who watch him is not gonna be anything let's be real. but i do think it MIGHT be the dinof > dan howell, maybe a list of stories how his dinof name made him embarrassed (like the story he told in the ls about the petition)?
Yeah very true. I don't think he'll ever make a coming out video but at the same time I don't get people who say he's not that type of content creator? Sure, he's not the type to make a serious sit down video with him crying in the thumbnail but I think he could make a video on sexuality that's on brand DINOF. Again I don't think he will and that's totally not the cheeky video, but I think he could do it in a light and cheeky DINOF format where he talks about heavy and relatable stuff in a silly way if he wanted to. if mac from iasip can come out anything is possible
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i liked his new liveshow. i was in tears at the chicken part with the coffee shop also he looks incredibly hipstery in his beanie in a good way. i am very excited for his new "cheeky" video. who knows what it'll be. maybe a rebranding, maybe a coming out video dinof style, i dunno. i am excited tho and did enjoy his liveshow
:transheart:
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

Damn, he looks good in a toque.
I'm gonna not let myself to get hyped up about his possible cheeky video, but I have to admit that I'm curious about what he meant. It was a nice liveshow, we had it on while cooking supper so I don't think i really retained much of what he actually talk about, but my impression was that he was in a good mood, minus being somewhat embarrassed about the chicken thing.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

From a brand recognition perspective is rebranding to Dan Howell even a smart thing to do? He just spent 2 years attaching the 'isnotonfire' part to a touring theatre show and two books. Not to mention the big part 'isnotonfire' plays in fandom, with fan usernames as such. It's such a big and recognizable thing and I get that it might be his ~embarrassing~ teenage username (which honestly could've been far worse) but it's far more attached to him than other YouTubers who made a name switch.

Anyway I'm firmly on #TeamNotExpectingShit :thumb:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
fancybum
senpai

Phil and Misc Watch 2017
i'm never not going to be awkward (Week 7)

Prompted Phil Mention
19:25 (chat) Where did you buy your beanie, it’s posh
“I’m pretty sure Phil probably spent $2 on it and it’s from some Chinese website, I have no idea, ask him”

29:20 “Phil bought this hat as a possible thing for the pastel edits video”
“and another wig which Phil can show you”
“Phil bought another wig which basically looks like a troll [doll]”
-just like with the nudie birthday gift, he’s telling us to tune in to Phil’s show for the 'to be continued'. Will be looking out for Phil promo-ing Dan in the same way on Thurs.

38:30 (chat) [lag] Phil's birthday
-Went for a meal last week with people for Phil’s [x]th birthday celebration
"[lag] events that Phil has had to commemorate the day that never seems to end. I think it’s finally over now, that’s good.”

41:00 (chat) I’m seeing you and Phil in April
“Ey, down under. That should be fun, looking forward to that.”
-mm, sure sounds like it
Unprompted Phil Mention
00:45 “But Phil bought a load of shit for the Pastel video that we ended up never using” hence him wearing a beanie

7:53 “I don’t know where Phil got this [beanie] from”

10:15 “and the kitchen’s quite messy because Phil never tidies or cleans and leaves all the cupboards open"

32:35 “I’m excited for the Oscars this weekend, me and Phil have been well good like watching the Oscars movies, we went to go see Moonlight the other day"

38:10 “Is it true that Garnet is voiced by Estelle?”
“Is that true? Phil told me."

44:50 (chat) Are you ever going to wear your earrings again?
“Yeah, I actually punched holes through my ears again ready to wear these weird fluorescent things that Phil bought for the pastel video, then we just forgot.”
:sideeye:

50:55 (chat) Dan have you seen the Motown thing?
“Yeah, seen Motown the Musical. Pretty good.”
“When me and Phil came back from seeing the Motown musical, we were like, ‘Oh my god, all of these Motown songs are amazing’ so we bought SingStar Motown [for PS3] so we could sing some Motown privately. But we just never got around to it [..] and then this week [we did]. Turns out we forgot all of the songs."

52:15 “Oh my god, YT quizzes, they make me want death. Phil was like ‘You should do a quizzes about yourself video’”
“I literally don’t think I could survive that."
-same.
Neutral Phil Mention
16:50 “Who saw the last video that we uploaded to DanAndPhilGAMES"

31:40 “I just broke the sand thing that Phil bought me"

44:25 (chat) VidCon Europe
“Me and Phil can’t commit to VidCon Europe. Do not worry, as and when me and Phil ever decide we want to/can go to a YT convention, we will tell you."

45:15 “There will be a new gaming video. Which one’s next? Is it that Dan vs. Phil? That’s gonna be quite funny.”

46:05 (chat) Have you recovered from the Impossible Quiz?
“Me and Phil got really next to the end” and then were betrayed by the skips
Miscellaneous
8:30 “I have a very cheeky idea for the next dinof video”
“I don’t know if I’m ready, it’s a big deal, and also not, and also quite funny”
“If you like laughing at my life turned into a joke, you might enjoy that one. We’ll see, maybe it’ll be the video after the next”
-searching for all the times his dinof name has made him look like an idiot (he thinks) to the point of disowning it on video? Or again, he'll do something with fire? idk

17:10 "'Hit me with your hooves', said George. George. Are you the same George from last week that complained about my wig and now you’ve gone all the way from ’take off the wig' to 'hit me with your hooves’? That’s character progression, wow, in one week. Or maybe not, I dunno.”
-That certainly is some character progression. Dan. What’ll George get up to next?? Can’t wait for the continuation of this thrilling saga.

24:20 (chat) How was your day
“It was good, I didn’t go outside, so I didn’t manage to embarrass myself”
-Everyone thinks he’s lying because of the fan photos from today, but I’m just adding this to the evidence pile that they have clones running around out there that they have no control over and will one day take over the world

27:00 (about Homeland) “Next week I’ll come back [wearing] a tinfoil beanie and we’ll spend the entire liveshow talking about conspiracy theories. Does that sound fun?”
-YES PLS

27:20 (chat) Jughead or Archie [on Riverdale]?
“Jughead. Archie’s just such a piece of bread, honestly. Betty’s a bit of a wet flannel. My favourite characters are the gay guy whose name I don’t remember- sorry, I’m a terrible person- and the girl from New York (Vanessa?)."

30:20 (chat) Dan, you look like Ethan from H3H3
“I wish I was as handsome as Ethan, are you kidding me, that sexy motherfluffer”
-This is a rare male attraction mention I’ll actually accept as a joke no offense

32:00 “Well, some people are probably aroused, like they don’t want to admit it. But there’s some people out there, probably George, who just keeps flip-flopping all over the place, I know he’s in the chat somewhere. George is aroused.”
-Yes tell me more about George, where did he grow up, what motivates him as a character person, let’s pick it up again next week, can’t wait.

35:10 “My grandma watched Lion and cried, so I need to go watch it"

35:45 (chat) I’ve got my boyfriend watching your videos ha ha
“Well. Bye.” awkward silence. “I’m probably going to ruin his life. Or make him realize that maybe he’s more functional. Who knows.”
-That felt awkward for a sec there. George wouldn’t get that kind of reaction.

39:30 “I like pineapple on pizza, but I’d never choose it. Maybe I should more.”

42:20 (chat) Come to New Zealand
“I would one day. I went to NZ when I was 9 and had one of the best times of my life.”
-Hmm if he’s already planning on it for April, he didn’t give anything away here. Maybe they are just planning another Japan trip

42:35 (chat) Fav Black Mirror episode?
"San Junipero was just so important, it was amazing"

43:20 (chat) You should do another video with Tomska
“Of course, I probably will one day.”

52:50 “I once wanted to make a video series about the 7 deadly sins, maybe I’ll do that this year. Who knows. Maybe that’s something I could do more creatively, with a bigger production budget, or maybe just on YT. Who knows.”
-hmmmmmm

53:20 “You know what I love about tumblr, it’s that a lot of people follow me and still don’t understand the concept of shitposting or whatever and they think everything I reblog is some kind of statement that I’m making. They don’t understand that tumblr is mainly about just reblogging funny nonsense that sometimes reflects your aesthetic and is sometimes just visually pleasing/shitpost/ironic signalling of your awareness of this obscure pop culture reference."
“If you think everything I reblog is some kind of statement: jesus fricking christ"
-stop reading into everything, ok noted. Keep saying things outright like this so we can read into definitive statements instead, I’m down for it.

56:40 (chat) Did you have a steamy shower this morning?
[No, he stood catatonically for half an hour because] “I think I’m probably still emotionally processing the chicken incident, or maybe reflecting back on my salad-tossing incident- wahey- tossing into the trash"
(chat) Salad tossing eh?
"Yup, I did say that. whoopsie."

57:35 (chat) Should respect be earned or given?
COUGHFELIXCOUGH
“I mean, you should be respectful to everybody all the time. It’s just nice if people are nice to everybody. I guess people, um… can earn it if they’ve done something wrong? Who knows”
-k. I officially endorse Dan never mentioning his thoughts on Felix because I don't anticipate enjoying them on any level

New problematic project that I only started halfway through this show: watching for potential dude names in the younow chat. What I saw in the last half:
Josh
Alex B
Austin O
Harrison James
(No ‘George' to be found in my travels tho. Come join the forum George, if you're out there, be my friend)
Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 22 times

Dan mentioning Phil: 22/59.5 minutes = 0.37 per min.

Has everyone forgotten what he said last week already about his video idea? He's still talking about the same one. From last week:
44:50 (chat) Any ideas for new danisnotonfire video?
“Yes! I have an idea of what my next one will be, I don’t know... I’m trying to get something organized so I can do something and be like, ‘Pow! Here’s a video’ and I think it’ll be funny. If you’ve heard me moaning about some things that’s been an ongoing issue in my professional life, you might have an idea, which could be quite funny. I’m deciding whether to name it something which I think is hilarious, but might, some people might [disagree?].”
Funny/cheeky/getting something organized. He's just changing his name guys, and he's got some weird idea on how he's going to go about it that I guess he's still marinating.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
malday
emo goose

36:07 "went to see the Book of Mormon for the 4th time" was that when Phil's parents came to London last Thursday?
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I understand why Dan's changing his name but I'm not sure it's a good idea. Embracing a regrettable past is his brand and that username is living proof of it! Lol i guess it's not that deep though do what you want Daniel.