Dan & Phil Part 43: I'll touch you when I please

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
gnostic
stress mushroom

I like getting to know everyone!

I am 23, a lawyer in profession for 5 years after accelerating the shit out of my degree, liking my job and succesful in many ways I suppose, except i don't want my queer ass to live in Russia so I am trying to figure ways to get myself and my girlfriend to move to any decent first world country even if it means dropping everything I have accomplished so far

I appreciate Deps for their incredible talent in marketing themselves and manipulating their audience, and the bants are nice too. I may have become Phil Lester somewhere along the way
Just here for the marketing skills
disenchanted
smol bean

De-lurking to post a little intro, even though I've never posted here before.. hope that's ok.

I'm 28, also a college dropout, and I live with my mom (and my cats and dog!) The past few years haven't been all that great for me, and 2016 in particular was all kinds of terrible. D & P have been one of the few things that made me genuinely laugh or smile this past year. I followed you guys over from the other site (where I didn't post either.. posting makes me anxious) and this might sound silly but this forum has been a much needed escape at times when I wanted to divert my mind, or needed something to laugh about. None of you know me but I really do love this place
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

000dia000 wrote:Controversial Post: It is apparent, that Dan made a lot of money through his company as of last year (the first figure along the bottom being of 2016, the second being 2015), this is all publicly accessible btw
Basically, a new house isn't out of the question, to put it mildly.

EDIT: I for some reason, didn't think to look for Phil's, he brings in just a little less:
These dates are as of the 20th April, so fairly recent.
It's kind of weird how happy I am that two guys I watch on the internet are rich.
And yeah they can certainly afford a very nice house.

I think that DanAndPhilGAMES falls under Dan's company, so in reality they probably bring in about the same.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

onetruetrash wrote:
saffarinda wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Wow, so many of you guys are in your 20s, I guess I'm the only 15-year-old here!
I'm 16! We can both be the young ones together
Yay! I really thought most people on here would be in their teens, so this is really interesting.
16 yrs old here!
But idk where I am otherwise on the scale. A dropout, living on my own and adulting, hopefully studying film and television next autumn and atm very close to having YouTube as my job. The phandom seems to have an unusual amount of dropouts and tbh Dan's story is one of the only positive ones I've heard, so for him for telling it and encouraging probs at least hundreds of young people to destroy their safe life plans and follow their dreams. I can't even describe how much YouTube has impacted me in the last 5 years, and now I have taken the last step and actually decided to try and pursue a career based on (online) video making. For me, YT is the only thing that always works out so it has completely shaped me as a person.

have been my main role models for the last 2 years, and idb is such a nice place to dive into the nice and easier YT fan standpoint (/ fluffy phan world) and some discussions here have actually made me realize things! I really love this community and hope life will work out for y'all soon
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Love reading everyone's stories! Sorry to hear about the hurty parts. :platonic: I won't say that everything will get better, because that's often not true (especially in the short run), but things do change, and different always has the chance of being better. :thumb:

I'm one who got dragged into the Phandom by my teenage daughter a year ago, only to be abandoned here. She can now barely bother to roll her eyes when I mention them. :sobs: Oh, well, her loss!

I would say about being in your 20s and not knowing what to do with your life....I spent my entire 20s that way (managed to spend most of it in school of some sort, since that was a safe place to be where I could feel competent). In some ways, I still don't know what to do with my life, or, how to do what I want with it.

The one thing I can say: don't worry too much about what your degree is in. Even if you hate it, it's probably better to finish it if you can, rather than not. I can promise that at least in the US, what your degree was in becomes less and less important at time goes by; what sorts of jobs and experiences you've accumulated count more. Yes, I realize that for some professions, like law, you need the credentials. But, that doesn't mean that if you get the credentials, you need to follow that profession. People might ask you why you've decided not to become a lawyer, but they will still understand the effort you put into getting the degree.

Also, even if you don't have a degree, while that may not seem ideal initially, in the long run that too will cease to matter so much once you have skills and experience. (I don't understand when people say, "OMG, if Dan didn't have YouTube, he'd never be able to get a job, because he doesn't have a degree." That boy has an impressive amount and depth of experience, and the know-how to leverage it. He may run off the rails at some point--could happen to anyone--but it won't be lack of degree that will do him in.)

Don't mind me--I'll stop lecturing now. :sideeye: I too love hanging out with everyone here.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
DatCog
blobfish

SquishPhan wrote:
000dia000 wrote:Controversial Post: It is apparent, that Dan made a lot of money through his company as of last year (the first figure along the bottom being of 2016, the second being 2015), this is all publicly accessible btw

EDIT: I for some reason, didn't think to look for Phil's, he brings in just a little less:
It's kind of weird how happy I am that two guys I watch on the internet are rich.

I think that DanAndPhilGAMES falls under Dan's company, so in reality they probably bring in about the same.
Wow, 2016/17 was a very good year for the guys! Am I right in thinking that they'll also have earnings from the tour/YT Red productions/IRL merch shop as well?
malday
emo goose

well i hope Dan is the one treating his man to a £2000 stake this time.
bluewho
truth bomb

SquishPhan wrote:

Adding in the guess that this means Dan and Phil are worth about 5 million.

5 million

SquishPhan
capita£ester

DatCog wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:

Wow, 2016/17 was a very good year for the guys! Am I right in thinking that they'll also have earnings from the tour/YT Red productions/IRL merch shop as well?
Yup they earn money from those things as well, so they are doing really well.
malday
emo goose

malday wrote:
well i hope Dan is the one treating his man to a £2000 stake this time.
i meant menu* not stake steak fml
nla
smol bean

Reading about you all gave me the courage to post for the first time (after lurking for months and even creating an account, I was just not brave enough to post)

I'm 24 years old, an unemployed lawyer studying to get a government job (in my country you have to take a kind of entrance exam), also living with my parents. I'm not really worried about that though because here it's pretty normal to still live with your parents until you get married/ decide you want to move out. My parents, at least, say they are happy to have me at their house for as long as I want and we get along really well so

I was already a fan of Dan and Phil since the end of 2015 but it was gamingmas last year that made me truly appreciate them. My cousin, who I was very close to and considered a sister, committed suicide on the 7th of December and watching the gamingmas videos and reading here were the things that I looked forward to and that took me out of the hell my family life has been since then. This is also the reason why Dan's jokes about wanting death are no longer funny to me (but I realize that's on me and he shouldn't have to change his humour or the way he deals with stuff to cater to me).

Anyway, love the discussions you guys have here and hope to join in in the future!
lost686girl
living flop

Apparently pj had a live stream and talked about an upcoming wedding? Does anyone have a quote of what he said?

With that and Louise's comment about a wedding in may, some are speculating an phan wedding (pretty preposterous but hey anything can happen is this post baking universe)
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

malday wrote:
malday wrote:well i hope Dan is the one treating his man to a £2000 stake this time.
curious, when did that happen before?

seeing how rich they are always makes me a bit anxious because i just want them to use their money sensibly so that when they quit yt they can disappear and live a quiet life and i'll never see them on "i'm a celebrity get me out of here" at age 45. does anyone else do that?

it was interesting reading the things some of you shared on the last two pages. it's honestly reassuring to me that apparently many of us are interested in deppy as a go-to cheer up or distraction. i'll be 26 in a while, currently working on finishing up my degree, but sort-of struggling with everything because life has been shit to me during the last few years and is only since recently slowly getting better. watching deppy vids just so happens to be one of the few things that never fail to cheer me up.
thank's you were great
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

I loved reading everyone's stories too! And hey, to the people saying they don't have life advice, heck, I'm a Mental Health Counselor and don't have life advice. But I have high hopes for you all!

I haven't heard anything about what PJ or Louise said, but my inner conspiracy theorist is intrigued.
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

Welcome to all the people posting for the first time! You're all amazing
:D
gnostic
stress mushroom

lurker wrote:
malday wrote:
malday wrote:well i hope Dan is the one treating his man to a £2000 stake this time.

seeing how rich they are always makes me a bit anxious because i just want them to use their money sensibly so that when they quit yt they can disappear and live a quiet life and i'll never see them on "i'm a celebrity get me out of here" at age 45. does anyone else do that?
I know right? The anxiety is real. I spend my stan time hoping they have a diverse investment portfolio and don't just sit on the money

From what I can remember Phil's fam was fairly well off and his dad used to hold a higher management position, so I hope they at least educate Deps

Edit: but if they don't go broke, we will never get them messy "tell everything" autobiographies we all want, so disregard everything i've written above
Just here for the marketing skills
moaninglisa
drama llama

lost686girl wrote:Apparently pj had a live stream and talked about an upcoming wedding? Does anyone have a quote of what he said?

With that and Louise's comment about a wedding in may, some are speculating an phan wedding (pretty preposterous but hey anything can happen is this post baking universe)
jumping from a conspiracy to another like it's parkour
but yeah, maybe that's the reason phil had his calendar open on may, so keep your eyes peeled
Last edited by moaninglisa on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

lost686girl wrote:Apparently pj had a live stream and talked about an upcoming wedding? Does anyone have a quote of what he said?

didn't a few months ago, in a live show, Phil had his calendar open on May, and people made a huge deal and said to make a note of it. Not that I think they're getting married, but reading your comment made something click in my head.
:cactus:
malday
emo goose

lurker wrote:
malday wrote:
when they first went to the sky bar in 2009. i think he was joking some people think it was serious.

interesting they both liked this
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

000dia000 wrote:

didn't a few months ago, in a live show, Phil had his calendar open on May, and people made a huge deal and said to make a note of it. Not that I think they're getting married, but reading your comment made something click in my head.
Also wasn't there a time when they apparently went to a bakery for "just cookies" but walked out with two small cakes and a few other things? they were doing the cake testing then, the plot thickens.
But no really, for both Louise and pj to mention a wedding next month, it seems pretty likely that a YouTube couple is gonna get married then. Any well known YouTube couples announced an engagement in the past year or so?
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

gnostic wrote:
lurker wrote:seeing how rich they are always makes me a bit anxious because i just want them to use their money sensibly so that when they quit yt they can disappear and live a quiet life and i'll never see them on "i'm a celebrity get me out of here" at age 45. does anyone else do that?
I know right? The anxiety is real. I spend my stan time hoping they have a diverse investment portfolio and don't just sit on the money

From what I can remember Phil's fam was fairly well off and his dad used to hold a higher management position, so I hope they at least educate Deps

Edit: but if they don't go broke, we will never get them messy "tell everything" autobiographies we all want, so disregard everything i've written above
well i'm glad you understand me as for the autobiographies -- i'm willing to hold out until 2070 when they sell exclusive interview rights to a screenplay writer and their story gets made into an artsy historical film.

malday, thanks for clearing up your reference!
thank's you were great
saffarinda
truth bomb

anime_is_not_cool wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:
saffarinda wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Wow, so many of you guys are in your 20s, I guess I'm the only 15-year-old here!
I'm 16! We can both be the young ones together
Yay! I really thought most people on here would be in their teens, so this is really interesting.
16 yrs old here!
But idk where I am otherwise on the scale. A dropout, living on my own and adulting, hopefully studying film and television next autumn and atm very close to having YouTube as my job. The phandom seems to have an unusual amount of dropouts and tbh Dan's story is one of the only positive ones I've heard, so for him for telling it and encouraging probs at least hundreds of young people to destroy their safe life plans and follow their dreams. I can't even describe how much YouTube has impacted me in the last 5 years, and now I have taken the last step and actually decided to try and pursue a career based on (online) video making. For me, YT is the only thing that always works out so it has completely shaped me as a person.

have been my main role models for the last 2 years, and idb is such a nice place to dive into the nice and easier YT fan standpoint (/ fluffy phan world) and some discussions here have actually made me realize things! I really love this community and hope life will work out for y'all soon
Woah thats so cool. I hope you get far with those goals of yours! What's your youtube channel called?

I've been watching dnp for ages (4/5 years at this point, bless young me for being angsty and finding dans vid on the meaning of life at 4am) but I've always avoided forums because I always hated the negative attitude and vibe, but this place seems generally quite nice, bar some discussions but I'm cool with reading them and not participating aha.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
saffarinda
truth bomb

gnostic wrote:
lurker wrote:
malday wrote:

Speaking of dnp and money - I was wondering what people's thoughts on the #spons are (even tho they're v rare)

I remember some people complaning when the first dragon city vids were posted ages ago (not the charity best friend quiz ones) but tbh I'm quite glad when I see them well off and having comfortable amounts of money - youtube isn't the sort of career you can maintain till you're 65 where you retire, so it reassures me when they have a sustainable amount of money.

Some people think it's sheer greediness though - any thoughts or opinions?
25/04/2017 - #blessed
greenfaces
placenta

im sorry im only a lurker because posting gives me anxiety but i wanted to say that i love this place i come here almost daily you all are a lovely community i love you guys gotta confess i stan some of you and it actually makes me happy reading all of your opinions even when i desagree
include me in that group of 20's something that drop out of uni the sad thing is i actually liked my degree but my mental health issues made everything go down the drain and the last 3 years have been pretty rough so and this community are my happy place so yeah thank u for being passionated and so smart and making this such an cool place
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

re: wedding - I think Louise said recently that her dad and step-mum are getting married soon, so I think that may be the wedding she's going to in May.

. . .

All my love and well-wishes to everyone going through a rough time Reading everyone's posts has really humanised this forum, I feel very fond of everyone right now and really do wish you all the very best.

Lump me in with the 20-somethings who have no idea what they're doing with their lives. I'm in my final year of a degree in Gender Studies and have no clue where that will lead me. I'm perpetually unemployed (my resume is awful as I have no experience) but I volunteer at a day centre for adults with disabilities once a week and I feel so under-qualified but at least it's something I guess. It feels like all my friends (I say all but I don't have very many) have their shit together. They're all in relationships and can drive and are employed and are in the process of moving out, while I'm so socially anxious I struggle to put myself out there and as a result I have none of that.

I totally agree with the general sentiment that dnp provide a welcome distraction from the daily stresses of life! 2016 was one of the worst years of my life (multiple deaths in the family and some of my closest friends experienced severe trauma which meant they came close to not making it through the year), but re-discovering dnp and stumbling across idb was such a bright spot in my life