Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

VengefulBlue wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:Those two need to restart cooking their own meals, and stop eating so much goddam delivery pizza (Dan.)
this! when did they stop cooking? i remember in some old liveshows (that i listen to while i sleep shhh) phil said he was good at cooking, he likes to make curries, etc. why/when did they stop making dinner and start ordering in more? i feel like they haven't mentioned making their own dinner in a while.
Hey, it's Phil who ordered delivery pancakes. I wonder if part of the reason is that Dan seems to be more interested in eating healthy while Phil still seems to be all about the carbs? Dan has occasionally tried to eat vegan/vegetarian, and has been spotted eating salad for a meal. (During our previous convo about this, I requested this emoji; yay to use it again!)

If you're a small household (two people) and interested in eating different things, it can be really hard to cook a meal (I know from experience). It becomes Jack Sprat and his wife, but perhaps with less good results.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

LeftHandedism wrote:
VengefulBlue wrote:
uglyamerican wrote:Those two need to restart cooking their own meals, and stop eating so much goddam delivery pizza (Dan.)
this! when did they stop cooking? i remember in some old liveshows (that i listen to while i sleep shhh) phil said he was good at cooking, he likes to make curries, etc. why/when did they stop making dinner and start ordering in more? i feel like they haven't mentioned making their own dinner in a while.
Hey, it's Phil who ordered delivery pancakes. I wonder if part of the reason is that Dan seems to be more interested in eating healthy while Phil still seems to be all about the carbs? Dan has occasionally tried to eat vegan/vegetarian, and has been spotted eating salad for a meal. (During our previous convo about this, I requested this emoji; yay to use it again!)

If you're a small household (two people) and interested in eating different things, it can be really hard to cook a meal (I know from experience). It becomes Jack Sprat and his wife, but perhaps with less good results.
Phil also has a massive sweet tooth. He's admitted it. I mean, who on earth orders delivery pancakes???

While they were on the US tour of TATINOF several of us here in America were seriously concerned about the pancake population. I swear Phil single-handedly kept IHOP in business for those three months.
onetruetrash
blobfish

The thread was so active wtf happened
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

onetruetrash wrote:The thread was so active wtf happened

the fire nation attacked
onetruetrash
blobfish

cherrybomb3 wrote:

the fire nation attacked
really you play too much lol
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

onetruetrash wrote:
cherrybomb3 wrote:

the fire nation attacked
really you play too much lol

im just that much of a mysterious enigma
autumnhearth
senpai

Moving hype died down a bit. I imagine there will be bursts as we get more photos.

I am really excited for the new DINOF video on Monday (hopefully) and Dan's live show from his new space on Tuesday. I do think it will be some sort of rebranding. I like the theory of him changing his name. "Dan is NOT on "

Any fun guesses as to what he could change it to? Or any thoughts on what else the video could be about? Last one from the old apartment, I think it will carry some weight. AmazingPhil and (Something)Dan... I dunno, but I'm frickin zazzed.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote:
Moving hype died down a bit. I imagine there will be bursts as we get more photos.

I am really excited for the new DINOF video on Monday (hopefully) and Dan's live show from his new space on Tuesday. I do think it will be some sort of rebranding. I like the theory of him changing his name. "Dan is NOT on "

Any fun guesses as to what he could change it to? Or any thoughts on what else the video could be about? Last one from the old apartment, I think it will carry some weight. AmazingPhil and (Something)Dan... I dunno, but I'm frickin zazzed.
i can't really imagine him changing it to anything but dan howell? but i'm curious to see as to how far the change will go -- will it only be his youtube "screen name" (idk how it is called, i mean that the channel name is displayed as "dan howell" but the channel itself will still be youtube.com/danisnotonfire)? will it be lower-case dan howell or "Dan Howell"? what about twitter and/or tumblr handles? a new channel header? will danisnotinteresting remain the same or go through an accompanying name change (and if yes, what on earth would that be? "uninteresting dan howell"?)?

but i'm really more curious to see the new filming background and whether the new location and possible name-change will affect his content (...and possibly upload schedule/overthinking)?

who knows, though, maybe it's another cheeky video and not about this at all. although i would suspect that if he really has a rebrand video in store, now would probably be the time to whack it out.

not a good enough reason to say "whack it out", is it.
thank's you were great
DatCog
blobfish

I think he'll just change to Dan Howell, I don't think he'll want another novelty name. I'm missing DAPG at the moment, having been spoilt with so many uploads since the start of gamingmas. I hope it won't be too long before they're up and running in the new gaming room.

Every time I think about them enjoying their first proper weekend in their new place, I feel all warm and fuzzy
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

"Dan Lester"

(yeah okay I'll go ban myself now)
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

alittledizzy wrote:"Dan Lester"

Times like this I miss the thumbs up button
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
DatCog
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:"Dan Lester"

Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

I don't really see a name change as cheeky at all, so I doubt it would be that. I have no idea what his new video could be about and I'm hesitant to speculate since last time he considered a video cheeky everyone was all "coming out video! zomg!" And it was a video taking quizzes about himself. (Granted, I think the theories were more based on him calling it a long-time coming, kind of a big deal, and him not knowing if he was ready. But still.)

Tbh, I think all of Dan's videos are a bit cheeky so like, this could be anything. Lol.
annetamiau
lady door

Hi!

I'm aware we've been over the renting vs buying discussion, but I have a few thoughts that kinda bother me and I can't shake off, so here I go:
1. We know that Dan and Phil had been planning to move for 4-5 months (since last Christmas, at the very least). So it wasn't rushed, moving out of the London apartment wasn't something that they decided at the last minute.
2. We know they intend to buy a property at some point. Either together, or separately, that's up for debate, but in their joint liveshow they did imply that this new duplex was a temporary solution and that a house 'would be bought'.
3. Renting a place requires spending a huge amount of money in one go. My rent is 450 euros (super cheap compared to whatever number theirs is), but when I first started living in my current apartment I had to spend close to 2000 euros (deposit fee, agency fee, first month's rent...). A true nightmare.

I don't know how renting works in the UK, but if the dynamics are somewhat similar then I don't see how this is a wise decision on their part. I'm not saying renting is a waste of money, and wouldn't have written any of this if they hadn't suggested that owning a house was on the horizon. But they did, and I guess my point is that I can't comprehend how, after living in their old apartment for close to 5 years, and having been planning the move for about half a year, they haven't bought a house/flat yet.

One could argue that they might have not found the right house, but why not wait a few more months then? Why settle for something that isn't perfect for them? Moving is such a pain, and their lease wasn't even up (I know they probably didn't do the moving themselves, but packing/unpacking can get on your nerves anyway).

My only theory is that they won't show us the house they end up buying (they will keep it completely private) and are getting the phandom gradually used to not being familiar with the space they live in, so that they don't go from 100 to 0 in terms of how much of their actual home they share with the audience.

I'd like to know your thoughts on that. :)

I hope everyone is having a good day, and cheers to this new era in deppy history
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

annetamiau, it could also be that they don't plan on living in london forever, but consider it necessary/practical at this point in their lives.
thank's you were great
SexyTrashCan
morning quiff

annetamiau wrote:Hi!

I'm aware we've been over the renting vs buying discussion, but I have a few thoughts that kinda bother me and I can't shake off, so here I go:
1. We know that Dan and Phil had been planning to move for 4-5 months (since last Christmas, at the very least). So it wasn't rushed, moving out of the London apartment wasn't something that they decided at the last minute.
2. We know they intend to buy a property at some point. Either together, or separately, that's up for debate, but in their joint liveshow they did imply that this new duplex was a temporary solution and that a house 'would be bought'.
3. Renting a place requires spending a huge amount of money in one go. My rent is 450 euros (super cheap compared to whatever number theirs is), but when I first started living in my current apartment I had to spend close to 2000 euros (deposit fee, agency fee, first month's rent...). A true nightmare.

I don't know how renting works in the UK, but if the dynamics are somewhat similar then I don't see how this is a wise decision on their part. I'm not saying renting is a waste of money, and wouldn't have written any of this if they hadn't suggested that owning a house was on the horizon. But they did, and I guess my point is that I can't comprehend how, after living in their old apartment for close to 5 years, and having been planning the move for about half a year, they haven't bought a house/flat yet.

One could argue that they might have not found the right house, but why not wait a few more months then? Why settle for something that isn't perfect for them? Moving is such a pain, and their lease wasn't even up (I know they probably didn't do the moving themselves, but packing/unpacking can get on your nerves anyway).

My only theory is that they won't show us the house they end up buying (they will keep it completely private) and are getting the phandom gradually used to not being familiar with the space they live in, so that they don't go from 100 to 0 in terms of how much of their actual home they share with the audience.

I'd like to know your thoughts on that. :)

I hope everyone is having a good day, and cheers to this new era in deppy history
I feel like it may partly down to them just wanting to get out of there. Noise, not much space, gas leaks, cracks in walls, old building etc.
:D
uglyamerican
woodland creature

*Additional comments on D&Ps's inflight movie choices*

"Lion" was my favorite movie of last year - love (the clean-shaven version of) Dev Patel, and that fucking kid.... I wish the Oscars rewarded the art and mechanics of moviemaking vs. the politics ("Moonlight") and buzz factor ("La La Land.") - not to say that "Moonlight" wasn't interesting, but "La La Land" was just kinda boring - although Ryan.... "Hacksaw Ridge" was a gorefest, amplified by the fact it was a true story (unlike most horror films.) Dan is lucky he watched it on a IFE vs. in a theater with a big screen. Andrew Garfield did a good job (but that boy must have a giraffe in his family tree.) Vince Vaughn was miscast. That is all.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ashling Rae wrote:I don't really see a name change as cheeky at all, so I doubt it would be that. I have no idea what his new video could be about and I'm hesitant to speculate since last time he considered a video cheeky everyone was all "coming out video! zomg!" And it was a video taking quizzes about himself. (Granted, I think the theories were more based on him calling it a long-time coming, kind of a big deal, and him not knowing if he was ready. But still.)

Tbh, I think all of Dan's videos are a bit cheeky so like, this could be anything. Lol.
I think the cheeky part could be the whole metaphor of leaving the dinof name behind in the old apartment, and that might be why the timing of it being posted got delayed. For all we know they were supposed to move in March and didn't (Dan's whole rough week thing).
annetamiau wrote:3. Renting a place requires spending a huge amount of money in one go. My rent is 450 euros (super cheap compared to whatever number theirs is), but when I first started living in my current apartment I had to spend close to 2000 euros (deposit fee, agency fee, first month's rent...). A true nightmare.

I actually think renting makes sense for them right now. Yes, they did know they were moving for a while, but just because they wanted out of the old flat doesn't mean they were necessarily ready to pick out the 'forever house' (to quote Dan's sickeningly sweet way of phrasing it).

If they wanted a swanky modern 3+ bedroom multiple level place with AC, then buying that? Inside London? Would be a ton of money, especially if they aren't positive they want to stay in London long-term. Buying, financing, then re-selling in a couple years sounds like a pain in the ass when the money variable might not be that much or they can't be confident enough in where their life is going to go to want to invest in that.

Phil also said he wasn't ready for the responsibility of a hamster. Maybe he's not ready for the responsibility of a home that is theirs to tend to, fix everything that breaks, etc. Having a landlord is convenient, especially for two people who probably do still intend on traveling multiple times a year.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

alittledizzy wrote:
Ashling Rae wrote:I don't really see a name change as cheeky at all, so I doubt it would be that. I have no idea what his new video could be about and I'm hesitant to speculate since last time he considered a video cheeky everyone was all "coming out video! zomg!" And it was a video taking quizzes about himself. (Granted, I think the theories were more based on him calling it a long-time coming, kind of a big deal, and him not knowing if he was ready. But still.)

I think the cheeky part could be the whole metaphor of leaving the dinof name behind in the old apartment, and that might be why the timing of it being posted got delayed. For all we know they were supposed to move in March and didn't (Dan's whole rough week thing).
I never thought about this, but this does make sense. Maybe they had their eye on something else first, but that didn't go through because of some reason.

I can also see his next vid being a saying goodbye to dinof kind of one, but knowing Dan it could be something completely different as well.
DatCog
blobfish

I was very much in the 'why on earth are they still renting' camp but I'd not really considered the fact that they might not want to buy their first home in London. It all makes a lot more sense now, especially as they just wanted to get out of their old flat as soon as possible due to storage, gas leak etc.
annetamiau
lady door

Thanks lurker, SexyTrashCan and alittledizzy for your replies.

I didn't consider they might not want to live in London long-term. I'd say they really enjoy living in such a vibrant city and are more outgoing than their branding might suggest, but who knows where they see themselves down the line?

Also I agree they might not feel ready for such a big commitment, buying a house is a big deal and can cause many headaches. I guess I had made up my mind beforehand and now it's difficult for me to process that they are still renting.
Behind every great person, there is a great cat
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

annetamiau wrote:I guess I had made up my mind beforehand and now it's difficult for me to process that they are still renting.
Oh, believe me, I was in the same situation. I was sure they'd have bought something - and it did take me reading a lot of other people's opinions before I decided I could see the sense in renting still.
MaggieW
glabella

I'm the only one that's going to miss "danisnotonfire" as a name? :( I don't see it very cringy as other stuff like the llamas or placentas lol

But I'm still curious about the whole ~rebranding~. If it happens, it's going to be interesting to see what Dan (and maybe Phil?) will do next.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Like so many discussions, I think our discussion on Deppy renting vs owning is a kind of Rorschach test of our own feelings.

I'm sadly (to me) a renter after having been a homeowner, and I would never pass up the chance to be a homeowner again if I had the money for it (and of course the longer you rent, the less money you have saved to buy). Y'all must have great landlords, since no one seems to have mentioned the problems with not owning your own home, like having the landlord wander in (which I think has happened to Deppy), things not getting fixed, or the landlord pulling up in a fancy car to announce that he's not going to replace a 40-year-old appliance that would cost just one month's worth of the rent raise he came to tell you about.

I take the point that owning is potentially more of a hassle, but there are ways to deal with that. We think of Deppy as two guys huddled cosily together in their apartment--because that's how they want us to think of them--and forget that they work with a management company and accountants and lawyers (and Phil's brother :thumb: ) and who knows who else to manage their business empire. It just doesn't seem that big a step to pay someone to help oversee any necessary home maintenance, for example if they are away for a few weeks. (And yes, privacy. But they've already spent two months on a bus with people they are paying to do stuff for them, so I think they've worked out how to cope with that.)

There is always the possibility that buying a home is a risky short-term investment. But come on, this is London. Will the housing market really crash so much that they'd lose their shirts? It seems even if they move out in a few years and it's a bad market in which to sell, they'd have no problem renting their house. In the US, the median home purchase is for only 6 years. That means that half the time when people buy a house they will be out of it again in a very few years (and most of the time in order to buy another house). I don't know so much about UK home ownership, but I found an article that suggests that maybe Deppy are just swept up in a larger trend: London is in the process of switching from being majority homeowners to majority renters. (Weird fact: it took until February 2015 for the population of London to get back to what it was just before WWII.)

I actually like the idea someone mentioned a while back that they are in the process of building their forever home, and that's why the are renting. That makes sense to me: investing in two homes--buying one at the same time as building one--could easily be beyond their budget. Let's hope that koi pond is being dug right now.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

MaggieW wrote:I'm the only one that's going to miss "danisnotonfire" as a name? :( I don't see it very cringy as other stuff like the llamas or placentas lol

But I'm still curious about the whole ~rebranding~. If it happens, it's going to be interesting to see what Dan (and maybe Phil?) will do next.
I'm actually quite fond of the dinof name as well! It's endearing and has a lot of memories attached to it. Definitely better than a lot of the earlier parts of Dan's branding (even back in 2012 I couldn't understand his obsession with placenta, and that was the height of my lolrandom phase).

At this point though, I do think a rebranding is coming soon. I really wonder how widespread the rebranding will be--dinof is linked to so many things that are hard to change, like their books and older videos.

Watch as Dan's 'cheeky' idea turns out to be setting himself on fire again. It'd explain why they kept going "Dan is...NOT...on fire" so much, right?
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka