Daniel & Phil Part 44: This isn't a forever home

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

dontpanic wrote:Tdlr, there’s 99 reasons to care about minorities and a t-shirt using the language from a country featuring a picture taken in said country aint one.
^THIS RIGHT HERE IS HOW I FEEL
Thank you for summing it up in one sentence in a much more succinct way than I could!
I am always on Phil Lester's side
august
tol bean

@dontpanic: i get where you're coming from and i completely agree that the argument is pretty trivial in the big scheme of things, but this is a d&p forum where i assume we're allowed to bring up how we feel about the things d&p do. :/ vid!
Ilovethemohyesido
living flop

http://www.tubefilter.com/2017/04/28/pl ... attendees/
Vlogger duo Dan Howell and Phil Lester will host a ninety-minute live show to kick off the event on May 5, for which you can purchase tickets right
uglyamerican
woodland creature

Wow, a bit of a heated discussion here today... All I will add that somebody said, paraphrasing, that "language is not culture." Language IS a major component of culture, as well as cuisine, music, art, and any number of qualities shared by a group of people.

Anyway, I'm not sure why they decided to release LONG SLEEVED shirts just before summer envelopes us (it was 92F here today - had to fire up the sweet A/C.) So I bought one of the hats, in white, because it's a bit laddish - and I cannot rock pink (the only pastel I will wear is pale yellow and pale blue.) And JFC, Districtlines in Florida rapes you on shipping and handling charges....

Haven't watched the new DAPG video yet, but I was also a bit apprehensive because of the thumbnail - is there a filter that would give them a man-bun combined with an ironic beard, because that's just about the only thing that would be more disturbing than that titlecard. But I'll give it a watch because it will afford me the opportunity to critique their new gaming room and lighting aesthetic.
papierklemmen
flower crown

two things i got from this video:

- dancest is still on the cards, good to know.

- dan's reaction to genderbended phil is REALLY extreme
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't really feel it's my place to speak on whether or not the shirts are offensive, but just speaking more broadly... I don't like the shirts because I don't feel they have very much to do with Dan and Phil?? Like, sure, they've been to Japan and like Japanese culture and those are their silhouettes. But, if I were to wear the shirts, I wouldn't feel like I was representing them all that much and that's something I look for in good merch.

New video honestly just made me so itchy for more new home details. What's that red thing? Tile floor in the game room? What's behind "us" - just a wall or more? So very many questions I want answered. Sigh.
majitzu
angel bean

Phil looks great as a female but Dan didn't like it. His reaction make me laugh a lot. And then he goes an calls the most perfect Phil selfie "cringy" ... wtf boy? How? Why? I'll fight you.
I hate filters but this was filmed in their new place and I like that. Also they were very cute(as always) so I'm satisfied
skyrents
not a first-time poster
Pronouns: She/Her

i like the aesthetic of their new place. very gray.
the new video was super cute. they can make anything entertaining. the little "7 months at least" exchange was so cute next gaming video is a sims one and i hope they age up dab. the toddler stage is getting old real quick.
also, double date with bryony and wirrow! fun. I swear, dnp live the dream life.
fancybum
senpai

/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
saffarinda wrote:an argument over them using a different language on their merch... really guys? i'm all up for calling out cultural appropriation but this is just??

also, reverse racism does exist - i have a white polish friend who could prove that to you (try not to forget about white minorities as well!)
Agreed. I just think that language is not the same as culture. To me, language isn't something that belongs to anyone because we all have the capacity to learn different language, change language, have individual differences in dialects and usage, etc. etc. etc. Cultural appropriation is real but I don't think that Dan and Phil putting some Japanese graphemes on a shirt is something that anyone should be too concerned about.
There are much worse things to be upset over in this world.
I mean.. tell that to native communities the world over who were violently forced to give up their 'savage' language and assimilate to the 'civilized' white tongue (maybe give 'residential schools' a google sometime). I'm wildly ignorant about all things Japanese so I'll stay out of that, but that is some bullshit up there. And here's the thing: you likely had no malice behind it, yet it was still not an inoffensive statement. People do and say things all the time without meaning to be insensitive or to offend, and yet. It's also kind of interesting that some of the people so passionate here about how innocuous the merch is are ignoring the posts of people who have an actual claim to the culture who aren't just joyous about sharing it (or you know, about other people, with no such claim, sharing it. for financial profit). And like. why does anybody care about anything when cancer exists. We should all focus on cancer until it's gone and then maybe, idk, what's next on the list. There will always be a more important issue, depending on who you're talking to. Doesn't diminish the importance of it to people who aren't you. And that also doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but maybe 'there are bigger things to care about' isn't the most helpful sentiment when you just want to shut someone else down.

But yeah that gaming room is peng. did I use that right
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
awkwardly
living flop

Catallena wrote: - Here we go with the screaming again. Dan is already pissing off the new neighbors.
but I thought they said they have no neighbours to worry about on that side "and there is no neighbour through the walls sleeping so we won't have that sudden realisation of thinking that we were screaming at people trying to sleep for 4 years" (14:27 ls)
(but yes, less screaming please)

in the middle of my undertale marathon, so the new video came a bit out of nowhere. parts were funny, not sure how I feel about the video as whole. I just kind of hope they will play more games like undertale (not necessary that long, but yeah, more gameplay). or rustylake. go play rustylake
~but the golden age is over
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

Hi guys, casual fan here. I've been debating making an account for a while, but seeing people speaking about my home has sparked me into it. Sorry if this sounds angry, but dammit I am angry

I'll try to keep things brief as possible, but here are my thoughts as a long time resident of Japan:
(And I hate that I probably need to say this, but I'm not white)
First: Japan is not weak and Japanese people are not oppressed minorities. Japan is a powerful nation that has been well respected on a global scale for a long time. Other countries in Asia envy, hate, and even fear Japan because of its history of domination, and Japan has a strong cultural and economic impact globally. Japan has a higher overall GDP than the UK and a similar GDP per capita, so if anything, two Japanese boys are MORE powerful than two English boys. Besides, do you think D&P have done nothing for Japan's economy? They spend a lot of money on Japanese goods, they advertise Japanese things to their audience, I think D&P have contributed plenty to the Japanese economy to deserve returning the favor. Plus these products only serve to advertise Japan EVEN MORE, so it's mutually beneficial.

Second: Racism=discrimination+power? Okay, according to YOUR definition, white people experience racism in Japan. There is institutional discrimination based on race (did you know you can be arrested for not carrying ID while looking too foreign? Fun times in Japan!), and there is social discrimination, including treating white people like exotic birds (beautiful and make great accessories, but you wouldn't want one to move in next door). Maybe you're thinking "it's not really racism because they can just go home to their country", but that's exactly what Japanese racists think. "Just go home to your country, because obviously you're not Japanese if you look like that".

Fun fact: There is no literal Japanese word for "racism". There is only 人種差別, which means "race discrimination". The semantic you're arguing about literally does not even exist in Japanese or the Japanese mind, whee!

Third: The concept of "cultural appropriation" does not exist here either. Not only do Japanese people not understand it, but when you try to explain it to them they think it's dumb (though they won't usually say that because it's rude) and they get confused or annoyed that foreigners like you try to prevent the spread of Japanese culture. Japanese people LIKE the spread of Japanese culture, so much that they don't even care if you do it wrong (yes that includes weeaboos). Instead of being "wrong Japanese culture", it becomes a new culture inspired by Japanese culture. Sometimes they even import it back to Japan, like California roll, which isn't "wrong sushi", it's "American sushi".
Sorry to rant, but really if you knew ANYTHING about Japan you would know that this "cultural appropriation" argument is so horribly misguided in every single way. Dan and Phil are behaving exactly how Japanese people and Japanese government want them to. They could not be better to Japan if they tried.

Now, I'm off to watch the new video and reintroduce some joy into my life! And I think I will buy a ダンとフィル shirt because I think they look cool and it will make a good addition to my random-language-covered-crap collection that I've gotten from shopping locally lol (so far I have English, Korean, and French, oh my)
llion
living flop

capybantsa, i found your post so interesting and enlightening. you don't sound angry at all to me, just proud of a culture and maybe a little frustrated. thank you for your take! i appreciate you sharing actual facts and information, it made me feel a lot better about the situation as a whole.

edit: typo !
Last edited by llion on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
dontpanic
#relatable

Dan’s hair is the best it’s ever been (I say this every time but dammit it’s true!). Phil’s personality throughout the video is just A+
Plus their flirting, especially the whole ‘in six months’ thing when Phil got old, was just so much

Favorite bits:
[0:06] Homely does not mean what you think it means, Phil

[3:20] The flirt is real and I can’t get enough

[4:40] Dan apparently doesn’t like female Phil
[5:08] When will Phillipa 2 get made???
[5:32] Phil: ‘That is normie Phil, that is.” I suddenly remember Phil’s random past
[6:18] And in this moment, Deppy’s neighbors regretted all their life choices
[6:37] He looks good old. The same cannot be said for Phil, unfortunately. :wtf:
[7:25] I’m extremely attracted to Danielle. I don’t know what to think.

[8:03] The zoom-up of them hunched over each other gives me heartburn

[9:07] Dude, don’t talk that way about Phil’s ladybug MySpace selfie.
[10:14] I laughed out loud. Dan looked so good in his first photo it’s only fair that he looks like a dead Pidgeon in this one.

[10:24] Give me more northern Phil, I need it
Ilovethemohyesido wrote:Did anyone notice the jump cut after Phil's northern accent moment? Dan's hair looks all messed up right after.
Holy hell you're right.

august wrote:@dontpanic: i get where you're coming from and i completely agree that the argument is pretty trivial in the big scheme of things, but this is a d&p forum where i assume we're allowed to bring up how we feel about the things d&p do. :/ vid!
Didn't say ya can't just expressing my opinion of deppy's merch as well, which is that I find it to be none of Jay-Z's 99 problems.
Last edited by dontpanic on Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

seconded! thanks capybantsa!

edit: yes, northern phil is the best phil, lbr
capybantsa
glabella

Thanks guys :D

I want to respect people's opinions, but at the same time I feel like they don't really respect Japan when they make arguments like that and it's bothersome :?

So about the video, I watched it and even though it was just a dumb face swap video and I wish they would do more story-based games I couldn't stop smiling somehow. Really adorable, it seems like they're very happy in their new place so far
Speaking of, I love the new room! So bright and fresh feeling! And wtf is that red thing in the corner? Idk but it's modern af and I love it

Also this video is not helping me not ship them
llion
living flop

capybantsa wrote:So about the video, I watched it and even though it was just a dumb face swap video and I wish they would do more story-based games I couldn't stop smiling somehow. Really adorable, it seems like they're very happy in their new place so far
Speaking of, I love the new room! So bright and fresh feeling! And wtf is that red thing in the corner? Idk but it's modern af and I love it

Also this video is not helping me not ship them
there was such a fluffy giggly vibe to the video, i loved it a lot more than i expected. i was honestly excited for anything at all, so i didn't mind the face swap filler. i'll take domestic banter happily anytime!

real feels there tho.
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

thank you for that insightful post, capybantsa. i was going to contribute but i'm not very educated on that kind of stuff and didnt want to offend anyone, so thank you for your great contribution
:transheart:
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Thanks capybansta

By the way where are the Sherlocks that used to be active, I thought by now we know new residence I missed those days we did not sleep just to identify their Japhan hotel room.
dontpanic
#relatable

capybantsa wrote:Hi guys, casual fan here.
:welcome:
capybantsa wrote:There is institutional discrimination based on race [...]

Sorry to rant, but really if you knew ANYTHING about Japan you would know that this "cultural appropriation" argument is so horribly misguided in every single way. Dan and Phil are behaving exactly how Japanese people and Japanese government want them to. They could not be better to Japan if they tried.
The way western schools never teach outside the Euro-centric perspective makes it hard to consider dynamics of other countries (in general, not subtweeting anyone here!). I once got called a kurombo by a classmate in undergrad. Like, I feel dirty using that word and I'm black.

I'm glad you came in with a unique take on this conversation. Everyone's contribution has been thoughtful and valid.

(also your economy man, that sh*t's tight.)
[offtopic]
so I'm focused on that macro econ shit, specializing in the currency market (aka I use the words 'time series,' 'lags,' and 'random walk' a lot) and the Japanese economy is probably the most interesting I've studied in a while because when the Great Recession caused most developed countries' income inequality to skyrocket, Japan didn't even break the 10% mark partly because they have one of the LOWEST CEO to low-level worker gap in the world. Like, talk about ethical (something US business ppl don't see to understand) that's around the same level as most Scandinavian countries, if only a tad higher...The declining workforce is the main reason the Japanese economy isn't reaching it's full potential. Aside from the swiss franc, the yen is probably the most interesting currency to watch. I'm not going to gush here because it's a Deppy forum lol I'll stop.
[/offtopic]

I'll stop now! But in conclusion to my unnecessary contribution, I just think sometimes we should let Dan eat his problematic toast.
Last edited by dontpanic on Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Ramble about culture below the cut. Please skip if not interested.
[offtopic]In relation to capybansta's post, I just think I'd add to it. For context I'm a Filipino, so I'm gonna look at it from my perspective. Since we became a country, the education system has always been westernized. In my elementary school, we were forbidden to speak our national language except when the subject is Filipino itself. It's at the point that I feel more comfortable speaking English rather than my dialect at the place where I grew up or Filipino (the language). It took me taking a subject called Indigenous Peoples and the Law to really understand how much I don't understand my own culture, language, and history. (The intro to that class was when was the Philippines discovered? And we easily answered 1521 by Magellan. And then our professor said: "But didn't we already have a culture prior to that? Weren't the people of what would become the Philippine Islands already trading, had customs and traditions, etc. And that left me stumped. Because I never really questioned why all our history classes started with Magellan "discovering" us). In that class too, we were shown this awesome video about a British guy basically saying that why the Westerners couldn't predict China's future is because they always look at it from the Western point of view and using Western context and models to explain things. It basically blew my mind because I, an Asian, raised up in Western ways, also do that. I guess the point of this post is that the best way to understand things is to look at it through the lens of that culture and judge it through that culture alone. But, it doesn't necessarily mean that the people of that culture will have the same opinions either (as adequately illustrated by the difference in opinion of the 2 Japanese people here). No culture is truly homogeneous, and individual opinions will always still shine through, because people even of the same culture are raised differently, experience different things, and different areas of different places have so much variance in all aspects. [Like Filipinos are branded as regionalistic because even if we're under the same country, most areas have different dialects and culture from one another.] But at the same time, I do understand why Westerners (and us brought up in the Western way) always view things with the lens of the Western culture and ideals: it's because it's all they know. It will take intensive study, actually living and interacting with the people of that culture (and people will experience vastly different experiences because of the individualism beyond that culture) before they can even begin to understand it a smidgen of it. I think my situation best exemplifies it in the sense that yes, I live here, I partake daily in Filipino culture, but because of one eye-opening subject I realized that I have so much to learn still, and this comes from a girl who has only left her country once for a 5-day vacation. So I think at the end of the day, it's hard to really reach a conclusion when everyone is looking at things from different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. But the discussion about it is interesting, so please don't misunderstand me and think that my intention is to stifle it. I just wanted to say my piece about my opinion about this ongoing discussion. Might be totally wrong though... so.... yeah. :?[/offtopic]
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
swofro
angel bean

capybantsa wrote:Other countries in Asia envy, hate, and even fear Japan because of its history of domination, and Japan has a strong cultural and economic impact globally.
Just going to lift this up from your post to second it lol. There are (army) veterans or their descendant who are still alive that will not tolerate any japan made things including electrical appliances or even japan slippers because of the nightmare that was japanese occupation during world war ii.

Anyway, if there is a word to describe the new merch for me, it will probably indifference. I am disappointed in them for rehashing old design instead of making new ones. I already have the japan tshirt, I won't be buying a new one that has a different colour. (dammit deps, I sit out from buying galaxy shirt so I can buy it with something else to make the shipping worth it) Sorry lads, not paying for your rent and takeaway this time. That being said, I like the pastel colours, especially the blue one. It looks like the sky. The caps look nice but I already have too many hats/caps that I can possibly wear.

I sigh dissappointedly once again when I get the notification for dapg because face app seems like a lazy content, but I enjoy it nevertheless. I particularly like the part where Phil speak northern, and wondering what happen as well during the jumpcut.

Love that they are putting the tetris lamp in the gaming room. I hope they will put up something in the background wall (a poster? A new wirrow painting?) because it looks a bit sparse imo. On the other hand, maybe they deliberately leave the wall empty so it can be easily decorated during seasonal games (gamingmas, spooky week) but I still think it looks ugly when there is nothing there.

I am wondering what the red bit is too. A cupboard? A circuitboard?
Love is forever
spider
ar·tic·u·late

First I would like to say blaze it.

jaej wrote:i cant believe dan and phil invented my ethnicity thank u for inventing being japanese #kingofnippon
Welcome back jaej
fancybum wrote:
/fɪl lɛstɚ/ wrote:
saffarinda wrote:an argument over them using a different language on their merch... really guys? i'm all up for calling out cultural appropriation but this is just??
Agreed. I just think that language is not the same as culture. To me, language isn't something that belongs to anyone because we all have the capacity to learn different language
I mean.. tell that to native communities the world over who were violently forced to give up their 'savage' language and assimilate to the 'civilized' white tongue (maybe give 'residential schools' a google sometime). I'm wildly ignorant about all things Japanese so I'll stay out of that, but that is some bullshit up there. And here's the thing: you likely had no malice behind it, yet it was still not an inoffensive statement. People do and say things all the time without meaning to be insensitive or to offend, and yet. It's also kind of interesting that some of the people so passionate here about how innocuous the merch is are ignoring the posts of people who have an actual claim to the culture who aren't just joyous about sharing it (or you know, about other people, with no such claim, sharing it. for financial profit). And like. why does anybody care about anything when cancer exists. We should all focus on cancer until it's gone and then maybe, idk, what's next on the list. There will always be a more important issue, depending on who you're talking to. Doesn't diminish the importance of it to people who aren't you. And that also doesn't mean you have to agree with it, but maybe 'there are bigger things to care about' isn't the most helpful sentiment when you just want to shut someone else down.
fancybum

saffarinda and /fɪl lɛstɚ/ you have the privilege to say language is not part of culture because as white English speakers your language is dominant in the world. English is forced on non English speakers and other languages are looked down on until white people want to use them for 'aesthetic' like Deppy. Don't want to say personal details on the internet so I will talk about my culture as the spider culture. Am not white but grew up under pressure to speak perfect English and not speak my spider language. Today I can't read or write spider language and can only speak it a little even though I was fluent when I was young. When I went to school I was looked down on for having a spider accent so I did not want to speak my language or go to my language school any more. Do not talk to non white people about what is or is not our culture when you obviously do not have our experiences.
capybantsa wrote:I'll try to keep things brief as possible, but here are my thoughts as a long time resident of Japan:
(And I hate that I probably need to say this, but I'm not white)
First: Japan is not weak and Japanese people are not oppressed minorities. Japan is a powerful nation that has been well respected on a global scale for a long time. Other countries in Asia envy, hate, and even fear Japan because of its history of domination, and Japan has a strong cultural and economic impact globally. Japan has a higher overall GDP than the UK and a similar GDP per capita, so if anything, two Japanese boys are MORE powerful than two English boys. Besides, do you think D&P have done nothing for Japan's economy? They spend a lot of money on Japanese goods, they advertise Japanese things to their audience, I think D&P have contributed plenty to the Japanese economy to deserve returning the favor. Plus these products only serve to advertise Japan EVEN MORE, so it's mutually beneficial.

Second: Racism=discrimination+power? Okay, according to YOUR definition, white people experience racism in Japan. There is institutional discrimination based on race (did you know you can be arrested for not carrying ID while looking too foreign? Fun times in Japan!), and there is social discrimination, including treating white people like exotic birds (beautiful and make great accessories, but you wouldn't want one to move in next door). Maybe you're thinking "it's not really racism because they can just go home to their country", but that's exactly what Japanese racists think. "Just go home to your country, because obviously you're not Japanese if you look like that".

Fun fact: There is no literal Japanese word for "racism". There is only 人種差別, which means "race discrimination". The semantic you're arguing about literally does not even exist in Japanese or the Japanese mind, whee!

Third: The concept of "cultural appropriation" does not exist here either. Not only do Japanese people not understand it, but when you try to explain it to them they think it's dumb (though they won't usually say that because it's rude) and they get confused or annoyed that foreigners like you try to prevent the spread of Japanese culture. Japanese people LIKE the spread of Japanese culture, so much that they don't even care if you do it wrong (yes that includes weeaboos). Instead of being "wrong Japanese culture", it becomes a new culture inspired by Japanese culture. Sometimes they even import it back to Japan, like California roll, which isn't "wrong sushi", it's "American sushi".
capybantsa you have a different experience living in a non white majority country. Non white people in white majority countries are treated like outsiders and we are affected by some racist things that you are not. For example Japanese people in Japan did not care as much about Scarlett Johansson being in the Ghost in the Shell movie but Japanese people in white countries were angry about white washing. It was a big Hollywood movie taking something from their culture and getting rid of their representation in a culture that already is as white as a blank wall. So Deppy putting ダントフィル on products is good for Japan and spreading Cool Japan popular culture but not for Japanese people in England.
allsaintshowell wrote:i always just ignored the merch even if it made me a litle uncomfortable because i knew how excited they were about the japan trip. they really could've gone a million different ways with "pastel merch" but instead they expanded upon an old design and made it more insensitive. i was excited for the pastel merch but this is a mess. i'll be saving my coins for something else.
allsaintshowell Even though the original Japhan merch was still cultural appropriation it was less insulting because it was about their trip they just took. Now it is 2 years later and they are using the same design again with the excuse they admitted is bad that it is the 'end of cherry blossom season'. They are not Japanese. They are not learning the Japanese language and would not know that ダムトフェイル that I just typed is 'dumb and fail' instead of 'Dan and Phil'. They have not even been to Japan again. They are profiting off of Japanese culture with no excuse this time. Was uncomfortable about it the 1st time but I gave up and bought a jumper because it was cute and I wanted to support my favorite Youtubers. Now I regret it a lot.
august wrote:man, i feel like i've seen endless iterations of the "is reverse racism real" argument on the internet because people were working off different definitions of the word racism and i feel like that's what's happening here. discrimination =/= racism. racism has an element of inherent power imbalance and the oppressed party shifts depending on the context of the culture you're applying it to. so the phrase "reverse racism" would pretty much be an oxymoron and better described as discrimination instead.
Perfect explanation so I am bolding with nothing to add.
SexyTrashCan wrote:
SexyTrashCan wrote:Not trying to go off on yo guys but really this makes my blood boil. Any person I've met who is from a different culture (China. Japan, etc) LOVES sharing their culture with people who are white like myself.
Actually, I'd like to give an example that may shock you!
Although this isn't specifically about Japan, I take Mandarin lessons in my school (shocking, wow, I know, a person as white as I am learning Mandarin, how dare I!), and one week I was the only one who showed up and the school network was down, so the teacher (who is extremely nice) spent the whole hour talking about her home life, festivals New Year traditions etc, and asking me questions about Welsh and Christmas. She also said that she went to a Chinese restaurant, and said the food there wasn't the same as home, but that she enjoyed seeing how English people had their own foods, like fish and chips (which she hadn't tried yet but intended to) and even their own take on Chinese food. That's right, she enjoyed seeing her culture in the UK and seeing how white people CHANGED it! Shocking, I know!
SexyTrashCan this is very dismissive of the many people in this thread alone who are from different cultures and do not want to 'share' their culture the way Deppy are trying to 'share' it. So no. Not 'any person you have met' wants to 'share' their culture with people who are 'white like yourself'.

There is a big difference between sharing culture and appropriating. Maybe we are friends and I want to share my spider culture with you. So I will invite you to our traditional events and give you spider donuts and food and help you dress in our traditional clothing for the occasion. If you are interested you can also learn the spider language so if you visit my country you can talk to spiders there. If you want to share your culture that is very nice and I would like to learn too.

That is very very different from you taking my spider language or symbolism or culture and putting it on your products to sell to your fans who like your internet content that has nothing to do with spider culture. Even if you are a fan of spider animation and are a spiderboo that does not allow you to take my culture and make a profit from it.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Not going to jump into the cultural appropriation/reverse racism discussion because I'm very white (almost translucent even, like Phil). It's interesting to read all your perspectives, especially those from actual non-white people. But even poc don't always agree on what's cultural appropriation, so I feel a bit lost tbh. I'd really like to know what really is okay and what is not but apparently there's no general answer to that :?

About the video:
I got the notification when I was in the process of going to bed and I just rolled my eyes and didn't bother to watch it right away because I'm not the biggest fan of these apps.
I only got excited when I realised it wasn't prefilmed and they were in their new apartment. I loved the whole introduction and how Phil tried to make it a bit less empty

The video was also funnier than I expected. Nice to know that I'm as attracted to actual Phil as I am to what he might look like if he was a woman. So pretty

I can't believe Dan called the ladybird selfie cringe. Daniel who? Don't know who that is. It's PhilAndPhilGames for me now :sideeye:
pulvis et umbra sumus
koalaselfie
living flop

Wow, their new gaming room looks great!! So cosy (even with cardboard boxes :D )
Ladybird Phil selfie = cringey??? Danyul, is somebody a bit jelly or
I liked the vid a lot - rewatching it right now!
Phil was right, that's pretty much exactly what his girl form would look like!! Very sweet with the silver hair

A few off-topic things btw (sorry if these have been brought up, as I've been MIA from here for a while):
- Is there a video compilation somewhere yet of Dan calling Phil "mate"? It seems like a recent-ish development, and idk, I just find it adorable plus it sometimes sounds like he's saying "babe" and quickly changes it ;)
- Same request/ask for a "Danny/Dannyfire/Dannyslice" and "Philly" (maybe just 'pet names', lol) compilation? The names just seem to get increasingly adorable!!
- Their Sims series currently has 38 videos, which is tied (I believe?) with the number of Super Amazing Project videos they made! (This is a pointless fact, lol, but it is something I noticed).
:cherryblossom: ~when ur sad, remember the deppy japan trip of 2015~ :cherryblossom:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Catallena wrote: - Manly Phil looks average according to Dan and I have questions about what that says about the type of people Dan is attracted to.
I think it means that Dan is attracted to people who may not be tradtionally be classed as beautiful. He likes the quircky type.
Catallena wrote: - Dan called my favorite Phil selfie ever cringe and I think this is the end of my subscription to dannyfire.
In what world was that Phil selfie cringe? SMH at Dan for that comment.