Dan & Phil Part 45: R.I.P danisnotonfire 2009-2017

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
/fɪl lɛstɚ/
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

SquishPhan wrote:
i'm dead
I am always on Phil Lester's side
lost686girl
living flop

Is it too early to assume that dan is on the Lester family vacay?
DatCog
blobfish

I'm sure Dan has been with the Lesters for the last few days (I think Playlist finished on Sunday). I wonder if he's heading home now or staying a bit longer :)

Love the beach photos...do you think that Phil's caption means it's sunrise rather than sunset?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lost686girl wrote:Is it too early to assume that dan is on the Lester family vacay?
His passport looked like it had either May 10 (with a line through the zero) or May 18 on it, so I'm guessing he's either leaving today or he's staying the entire time.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

nephilimcat wrote:
saffarinda wrote:
I always root for Phil, but damn does that "innocence smol bean" grate on me. I think I root for Phil because he's the underdog, and because I prefer his reaction when he wins. Dan often has a joking "HA! I won" (which I can relate to lmao) whilst Phil has a much more "YES I WON!" (because Dan is defo better at the games, ngl, so winning against him seems to be somewhat of a rarity) and because of that, many of us are pleased that he won over Dan.
I think I also root for Phil because he's the underdog. But that's not the only reason. I'm a Philgirl at this point and there's nothing I can do to deny it. Even though I generally say that I like them both equally, I will always choose Phil if I have to and the longer I am watching them, the more I'm drawn to Phil. And this wasn't always the case.

At first, I kind of preferred Dan. It started to change when I watched old videos of Phil that gave me an insight in an aspect of his personality that he doesn't really show and I wasn't aware existed before. How creative he is. How many interesting, even disturbing things his mind can come up with. How he's much more than an innocent angel bean. And I started to see that Phil in the Phil he is now as well.

Not to be objectifying but when I first saw them, I thought "Wow, Dan's kinda hot." And now I'm just looking at Phil before I look at Dan and so fascinated by his beauty. He doesn't have the looks that make him conveniently attractive but that's what I like. I looked at Dan a few times and drooled over him but then he just looks like other attractive people (which isn't necessarily a good thing, since he gets objectified all the time). I still find Dan hot and when he posts a selfie, I often feel very attracted to him, but I just got ... bored (?) with his looks. Phil, on the other hand, looks more unique. The shape of his head, his inconclusive eye colour - I just think he's a very beautiful man and I never get bored staring at him.

Then the videos. Dan's videos are more relatable to me and when I rewatch videos, I tend to rewatch Dan's more for the content and Phil's more for Phil. While both of them make funny videos, Dans' sometimes remind me of some bad shit and can be a bit of a downer. Which is great, I like that, but sometimes I just need something pleasant to cheer me up and doesn't get me thinking and then I watch Phil's videos. He tells embarrassing stories or just shows useless items or talks about how weird he is and while that can also be relatable, it's mostly just pleasant and funny. Phil never fails to make me smile. And it's the same with ls. While Dan says a lot of great and inspirational things, he can also be very tiring and sometimes very annoying. When you watch Phil's ls, you know you can expect them to be pleasant no matter what. And that's nice.

Something I can certainly say though, is that I am not rooting for Phil because of the innocent vibe. I realised very early on in watching him that he isn't as innocent as some of his fans make him seem. Every time I see a post with "protect this smol angel bean, he doesn't understand dirty words, cover your ears, philly", I want to throw up. Phil isn't a little kid, he isn't an innocent person, he's just very careful because he knows he has a young audience.
I love them both in different ways and don't think I could possibly choose between them if I had to. I think I'm more romantically/ intellectually/ aesthetically attracted to Phil but more platonically attracted to Dan. Sometimes Dan is just so cute though with his softness and his dimpled smile that I just wanna ruffle his hair and squish his cheek and call him my son... even though he's older than me
My eyes are always drawn to Phil when I watch a collab, I root for him to win (probably as the underdog), and I think he's very naturally funny in a very different way from Dan, which is refreshing. But Dan sometimes wins me over emotionally. Phil guards himself so well and there feels like there's much more of a wall between him and his audience, so when Dan talks about his opinions/ vulnerabilities/ etc it feels easier to relate to him. (Plus sometimes when I'm watching Dan's ls I often know what he's going to say before he says it... either he's really predictable or we have very similar stances on things.) I find Phil intriguing, but his lack of authenticity can sometimes get exhausting. I don't expect him to be more authentic and he is in no way obligated to share more of himself, it's just hard when you're invested in as people beyond what they put out on YouTube and think of them as friends in your head but then you realise you don't know them at all, and never will. That came out more depressing than I meant it to. I'm lonely okay
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Nice to see Dan tweet about this.
And that Phil retweeted it.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Judging from Cornelia's IG photo; they may be in the same location?
xaephan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

SquishPhan wrote: Nice to see Dan tweet about this.
Has Dan ever done something this public about politics? He mentions some stuff in LS somethings, but inevitably gets interrupted (rather, he interrupts himself). I haven't really followed their social media stuff until very recently, but I've seen lots of talk about how dnp tends to not say a lot about political stuff.

New or not, I'm very happy that he's using his platform this way. All the replies he's been doing to people in that thread are quite nice too.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
BSV

Yes yes yes! Im so happy that he is encouraging his followers to register - obviously they have a great platform and have a relatively young fanbase (and with so many young people not registered this is so important!)
I feel like they have really avoided being too vocal about British politics in the past, so this makes me happy
000dia000
emo goose

Okay, first thing's first: I love the photos. I'm definitely banking on Dan staying for the vacation, but we'll have to wait and see, I'm sure we'll find out by tomorrow
It would be interesting to hear their opinions on politics, but I'm not sure they'd go in depth about something like that. Dan might give the general gist of what he thinks, will Phil, I don't think so.

Also, this was already linked a few pages back, it's Tomska's vlog. I watch Tom a lot (I've seen every single one of these weekly vlogs since he's started doing them )
I've already posted a few times today, and I'm sure everybody is even more sick of me than usual, but here's some time stamps of interesting/relevant things/not very relevant things but have deppy in it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqQlp99cMWg&t=0s
21:23 "So, before I started dating Charlie [Tom's girlfriend] I had to go through the big process of making sure she was not a fan of me, and she passed. But now I got her into the playlist live green room, we get to find out if it was just all a rouse just to close to, you know, Jenna Marbles...and everyone else."
He says this in her company, just to mess with her. She's in with the joke, and it's Tom's sense of humour, but I thought it was interesting to hear what another YouTubers says on dating. While Tom does have a lot of fans, he doesn't have the kind of intense relationship that deppy have. If Tom has difficulty, hypothetically I imagine deppy would be much, much worse off (or at the very least paranoid.)
21: 50 "So...I'm going to be up on that stage tonight doing a thing I still literally do not know what it is and this room is probably going to be filled because Dan and Phil's name are attached to it, so, and everyone's going to look like Charlie [points to girlfriend, bright blue hair, flower crown and alternative fashion] but younger."
I found this funny, that he did both a rip on his girlfriend and the fandom itself. Still, a lot of fans are quite "alternative" considering Dan and Phil are "alternative" themselves. Hence, I imagine that's why they're all quite encouraged to do pastel edits, punk edits, make up, nail polish. This sentence was terrible, ignore it.
23.28 "I want that shirt Phil Lester." Tom parousing through a website, looking at Phil's blue pug shirt. I wonder how he found it?
24:51 [Tom goes on stage] "I don't see Dan and Phil anywhere why're they screaming?"
25.10 Dan: "Are we coming off and walking on the same way?"
This whole part is rather weird, and I recommend people to watch it. Dan and Tomska both squeeze past each other and make a big deal about it. This whole scene is so weird to watch, because out of context (or maybe it's actually how it is) Dan is acting really obnoxious, making a big deal of squeezing past Tom, it looks bad. If I didn't know them I would think Dan was another obnoxious vlogger tbh.
Though one thing interesting I always find about Dan, is that he would do a big touchy-feely thing with guys, and knows how to behave around them, but he's pretty awkward around girls and flat out seemed to ignore the girls behind Tom. He may not know them, but it's not the first time I see Dan just, not pay attention to girls at all? Instead he puts all his attention into his friends?
*inner me screaming* Omg, because phan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Probably, tbh.
27.32 Their community panel, as Tom points out, had deppy talking about the phandom, and Tom made a point in saying how he doesn't like the idea of "fans" and just prefers an audience, rather than dedicated following. I'm sorry Tom, but you sound hypocritical when you say you don't want fans, but then make fun of deppy and their phans, make up your mind.
27.42 Phil does triceratops with his hands on blue table. Not interesting, but might as well make Tom's audience attention spike at these moments, it will be interesting to see his comments next week about it.
27. 58 Julien does a "dog with problems" with his hands. Dan's comment? "I would adopt that." Another dog mention. Dan looks straight at the camera. He knows people will see that. I see that. We should all see that. ANOTHER dog mention. Sneaky shit, he knows we see him.
28.00 Footage on them on stage.
28.48 Tom: "Fans are fine, a fandom can be dangerous. I think that it is important that audience members acknowledge their individuals and should be held accountable for their individual actions and not encourage mob mentality..."
30. 36 [At dinner with deppy and others] Tom: "Oh my God, what interesting dinner footage, too bad nobody wants to be a part of the dinner footage, yayyyyy..."
I wonder if deppy purposely say, "please don't vlog us" or at least, only to vlog things that can't be giffed or attention brought towards. *cough*
:cactus:
lishachi
eclipse shirt

BSV wrote:
Yes yes yes! Im so happy that he is encouraging his followers to register - obviously they have a great platform and have a relatively young fanbase (and with so many young people not registered this is so important!)
I feel like they have really avoided being too vocal about British politics in the past, so this makes me happy
Glad he has tweeted this. (and Phil RTing) People are registering to vote in his replies, which makes me happy. He's using a platform to spread the word to vote which is great and it's so important for the UK. (I hope we don't get royally screwed lol.)
:biflag: :blackheart:
awkwardly
living flop

DatCog wrote:I'm sure Dan has been with the Lesters for the last few days (I think Playlist finished on Sunday). I wonder if he's heading home now or staying a bit longer :)

Love the beach photos...do you think that Phil's caption means it's sunrise rather than sunset?
looks definitely like sunrise to me because the moon is setting in Dan's picture
~but the golden age is over
fondsmiles
phabergé

BSV wrote:
I'm so so happy about this :') god, I really hoped he or they would talk about it, but I kind of set myself up for disappointment because they haven't done that much in the past. I am SO happy they did. They can influence so many people, just showing them that the guys they look up to encourage voting and being interested in politics, and just by that they could actually influence the outcome of an election potentially.
Dan's been replying to people about why it's important or thoughts about voting etc for a while and it pleases me so much. I am so glad he brings that topic up.

I am glad Phil retweeted it at least, and if he'd speak up himself before the election as well, I'd be the happiest.

BLESS THEM.
[x]
[x]
BSV

fondsmiles wrote:
BSV wrote:
I'm so so happy about this :') god, I really hoped he or they would talk about it, but I kind of set myself up for disappointment because they haven't done that much in the past. I am SO happy they did. They can influence so many people, just showing them that the guys they look up to encourage voting and being interested in politics, and just by that they could actually influence the outcome of an election potentially.
Dan's been replying to people about why it's important or thoughts about voting etc for a while and it pleases me so much. I am so glad he brings that topic up.

I am glad Phil retweeted it at least, and if he'd speak up himself before the election as well, I'd be the happiest.

BLESS THEM.
Oh my god people are actually posting that they've registered! Its amazing what kind of reach they have and those replies are so helpful! I had also set myself up for disappointment considering they barely even mentioned Brexit and yet spoke loads about Trump... hmm anyways i'm sorry but i don't think Phil will be mentioning it... possibly at all (obvs not including the retweet) I don't know, i may yet again be pleasantly surprised!
saffarinda
truth bomb

vv happy about dan discussing politics. i remember a few years ago in the general election he posted that selfie on insta encouraging people to vote, but he's done nothing so political since. it's pretty obvious dan supports the labour party (which is atypical of millionares, but i suppose dan remembers his slightly less than "well-off" roots). i don't want to get too political, but my hopes are quite low for this election. theresa may knows very well that a lot of people dislike jerermy corbyn, that's why she decided to hold the election, so the likelihood of corbyn getting in is p low imo. dan seems the type to support corbyn (altho owen jones REALLY doesn't like him, so who knows) i'd really like for him to discuss it in his next liveshow.

also just incase there are people that don't know british politics, here's a basic outline of the lads and their affiliations:

Theresa May = Tori/Conservative/Republican
Jeremy Corbyn = Labour/Democratic
25/04/2017 - #blessed
malday
emo goose

awkwardly wrote:
DatCog wrote:I'm sure Dan has been with the Lesters for the last few days (I think Playlist finished on Sunday). I wonder if he's heading home now or staying a bit longer :)

looks definitely like sunrise to me because the moon is setting in Dan's picture
ugh! they're watching the sunrise on the beach? what it this some cheesy fanfiction au or something?!
phanofcats
delia smith

malday wrote:
awkwardly wrote:

ugh! they're watching the sunrise on the beach? what it this some cheesy fanfiction au or something?!
Everything they do is straight out of a fanfiction/ romance novel I swear! I do hope he stays longer for the Lester family holiday and we get more adorable selfies of them But it would be interesting to see Dan alone at the new apartment. Maybe he would do another instagram story day? (where we could see more of the new house) I'd love to see a sleepless night with Dan finally too! :D
phanofcats
delia smith

BSV wrote:Oh my god people are actually posting that they've registered! Its amazing what kind of reach they have and those replies are so helpful! :
I actually just registered because of that tweet! I thought that I was too late! Thanks Daniel
howadorableright
sad dimple

phanofcats wrote:
malday wrote:
awkwardly wrote:

Everything they do is straight out of a fanfiction/ romance novel I swear! I do hope he stays longer for the Lester family holiday and we get more adorable selfies of them But it would be interesting to see Dan alone at the new apartment. Maybe he would do another instagram story day? (where we could see more of the new house) I'd love to see a sleepless night with Dan finally too! :D
god i hope dan stays in florida, i love the constant instagram pictures when they're on holiday (i do the same thing lol) and i hope they're have nice calming walks on the beach

a sleepless night with dan would definitely be interesting and honestly i have no idea what it would entail, so that could be exciting as well, especially if dan shows his new room
back back back back again
awkwardly
living flop

malday wrote:
awkwardly wrote:

omg I am the most unromantic person ever my immediate thoughts on the pictures were 'wow the colour progression/transition on Dans photo is so pleasing. although the waves look kinda pixelated the moon is visible so the phone must really have a good camera. I wish I had a camera that could capture the moon.' So thank you very much for putting 2+2 together for my brain I'm off to the daydreamland. :D

I wonder if they stayed up and went to the beach already during night or if they woke up extra early just for the sunrise. Cause if their wake-sleep patter is anywhere close to mine I only see sunrises cause I go to bed as they happen
xaephan

mesmericphilip wrote:
phanofcats wrote:
malday wrote:
awkwardly wrote:

god i hope dan stays in florida, i love the constant instagram pictures when they're on holiday (i do the same thing lol) and i hope they're have nice calming walks on the beach

a sleepless night with dan would definitely be interesting and honestly i have no idea what it would entail, so that could be exciting as well, especially if dan shows his new room
I like how they're doing a 'lowkey show their fans they're on vacation together' redux, it's nice to see them so relaxed and happy. I didn't even notice it was sunrise! How pretty...and how straight of a fanfic heh

Some people have been saying how the picture of Phil (that Dan probably took) is crooked, but I actually love the composition. It's a much better picture than some from Singapore haha

I feel like a sleepless night with Dan would just be a typical night for him, what's with the not-sleeping-until-4am thing he keeps referencing. He doesn't like staying home alone though, so it would be interesting to see what he ends up doing in his shiny new bedroom.
if my heart was a compass you'd be north
previously myllakka
sugar
eclipse shirt

as far as the conversation on who we root for during DvP, i always find myself rooting for phil.

i don't like to pick favorites, but for all intents and purposes, i do prefer dan. i relate to his personality and humor more and i do find him more attractive.

but, like i said, i always root for phil in DvP videos. i think it's because i know that dan is 1) generally better at video games and 2)not only that but he knows more about them. the way that dan talks about gaming makes me think that not only has he spent a lot of time playing games, but it sounds like he's spent a good about of time reading about gaming/talking about it online. i know that phil plays a lot of video games as well but dan strikes me as, for lack of a better word, a gamer, where phil seems more just like a guy who enjoys playing video games. and because of that, because i know dan is better and often has a better chance of winning, and because the board was pretty uneven for a while, i always want phil to win.

it's also because when they're playing one-player games together, i feel like more often than not dan is the one that's actually playing. i don't know if this is an agreed-upon thing or if dan just takes it upon himself and phil doesn't bother to ask but it kind of bothers me. maybe it's just me but sometimes i feel like it's DanGames feat. PhilsCommentary.

so because of that stuff i always root for phil because i guess i want him to be able to prove himself. and because if dan just won everything it wouldn't be very entertaining to watch.
awkwardly wrote:I wonder if they stayed up and went to the beach already during night or if they woke up extra early just for the sunrise. Cause if their wake-sleep patter is anywhere close to mine I only see sunrises cause I go to bed as they happen
they've been in the US for less than a week and when i studied abroad in london it took me weeks to actually adjust to the time difference. they're probably still running on their body's natural clock so i wouldn't really be surprised if they naturally woke up a bit before sun came up and decided to go on a nice romantic sunrise walk by the beach
awkwardly
living flop

myllakka wrote:
mesmericphilip wrote:
phanofcats wrote:
malday wrote:
awkwardly wrote:

I like how they're doing a 'lowkey show their fans they're on vacation together' redux, it's nice to see them so relaxed and happy. I didn't even notice it was sunrise! How pretty...and how straight of a fanfic heh

Some people have been saying how the picture of Phil (that Dan probably took) is crooked, but I actually love the composition. It's a much better picture than some from Singapore haha

I feel like a sleepless night with Dan would just be a typical night for him, what's with the not-sleeping-until-4am thing he keeps referencing. He doesn't like staying home alone though, so it would be interesting to see what he ends up doing in his shiny new bedroom.
and just looking at the pic again I completely forgot it is full moon tonight (afternoon for US) so it was it's 99% size, and with their new moon aesthetics (and Phil being the one that stayed up and tried to spot supermoon last year (same, Phil, same)) they might have been on the beach also for the full moon
(and now I keep picturing Tomska's 'Hey, you two should kiss' )
awsugar wrote:
awkwardly wrote:I wonder if they stayed up and went to the beach already during night or if they woke up extra early just for the sunrise. Cause if their wake-sleep patter is anywhere close to mine I only see sunrises cause I go to bed as they happen
they've been in the US for less than a week and when i studied abroad in london it took me weeks to actually adjust to the time difference. they're probably still running on their body's natural clock so i wouldn't really be surprised if they naturally woke up a bit before sun came up and decided to go on a nice romantic sunrise walk by the beach
true, could be true too. if they naturally go to sleep around 4 and wake up around lunch in UK they would be up around 6 in US
BSV

phanofcats wrote:
BSV wrote:Oh my god people are actually posting that they've registered! Its amazing what kind of reach they have and those replies are so helpful! :
I actually just registered because of that tweet! I thought that I was too late! Thanks Daniel
Yay! Good for you! The deadline is 22nd May :D
lurker
janice from the shop

i'm pleased by dan tweeting about the upcoming election and taking the time to interact with some of his audience. i hope the resonance he sees in this tweet encourages him to use his reach more often like that.
thank's you were great