Dan & Phil Part 46: Some kind of a gay backstory

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
saffarinda
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

I'm not the biggest Tyler Oakley fan by a long shot, I've only ever watched videos of him with Dan or Phil and I got pretty annoyed at him a few years ago when he got annoyed at people who disliked Zoellas book when the ghostwriting was revealed - but I find his "Yes I ship phan" quite different to Shane's in the sense that saying that is just simply agreeing with the masses about a relatable topic - it seemed light hearted and generally all in good spirits, nothing too deep or serious.

Shane, in contrast, went digging. He complied enough information for a video to discuss it with his wide audience - some of which may not know who Dan and Phil are - and shared this theory with them. The people at SitC, or even those who watched the clip when it was uploaded uploaded, were in on the joke, in a sense. Shane found tweets and, from his perspective, evidence for his opinion, and subtly gave his audience the impression that they were queerbaiting. That's less of a joke, and more of a subtle slander.

Tyler Oakley made a joke, Shane Dawson made drama for adsense.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Ashling Rae
*editing tips*

snokoplasmic wrote:[offtopic]hey! sorry to divert attention from this (in my opinion) extremely interesting conversation with such an odd request, but does anyone know when all the Speed references started? rewatched the 2nd bomb disposal video this morning and it caught my attention in the beginning when dan goes "i KNEW you were gonna make another fucking Speed reference!" i feel like i remember that it was a phil liveshow where he first mentioned watching the movie, and i think they made references in like at least two other gaming vids, but for the life of me i can't remember any specifics[/offtopic]
I can only remember that one instance! Which is interesting to me, because that means it's something he does a lot just in his real life. Feels almost like we're being let in on an inside joke.
susan2
rainbow nerd

snokoplasmic wrote:[offtopic]hey! sorry to divert attention from this (in my opinion) extremely interesting conversation with such an odd request, but does anyone know when all the Speed references started? rewatched the 2nd bomb disposal video this morning and it caught my attention in the beginning when dan goes "i KNEW you were gonna make another fucking Speed reference!" i feel like i remember that it was a phil liveshow where he first mentioned watching the movie, and i think they made references in like at least two other gaming vids, but for the life of me i can't remember any specifics[/offtopic]
A couple of mentions...

1:15 -

42:20 -

...and now I want to go and re-watch Speed
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, Daniel, making out we're all too young to have seen Speed. Explaining Blur to us as if our school trip to France in 1994 didn't include spotting them at the airport. We're all capable of finding old music and movies, etc, whatever our age. Damn, that was a lovely Phil liveshow, such a cheerful bouncy guy.

Also on the subject of shipping, before becoming such a fan of YouTubers I read on Twitter that some had had friendships ruined by the awkwardness of being shipped together. I don't go in for it especially when it gets in their faces. It's a thin line, but I think believing Deps are together is a different thing, though also to be kept away from them so I try to be careful what I reply to on Twitter and Tumblr, I've just recently let myself say things there and on here.

Personal experience under here
I had a year of heartbreak and anger back in 2011, aged 30 when you might think you'd be past such things that got so bad because of bullying/rejection aged 8. It was caused by meeting an established group of friends and liking one of them a lot, but having it all go downhill as his friend thought we'd be good together, only he wasn't interested and only withdrew. I lost first him and then the rest except for the accidental instigator as we got on really well, but the effects have lasted.
Sakura Selfie
rainbow nerd

flarequake wrote:Oh, Daniel, making out we're all too young to have seen Speed. Explaining Blur to us as if our school trip to France in 1994 didn't include spotting them at the airport. We're all capable of finding old music and movies, etc, whatever our age.

Also on the subject of shipping, before becoming such a fan of YouTubers, I read on Twitter that some had had friendships ruined by the awkwardness of being shipped together. I don't go in for it especially when it gets in their faces. It's a thin line, but I think believing Deps are together is a different thing, though also to be kept away from them so I try to be careful what I reply to on Twitter and Tumblr, I've just recently let myself say things there and on here.

I had a year of heartbreak and anger back in 2011, aged 30 when you might think you'd be past such things that got so bad because of bullying/rejection trauma aged 8. It was caused by meeting an established group of friends and liking one of them a lot, but having it all go downhill as his friend thought we'd be good together when he wasn't interested and only withdrew so I lost first him and then the rest except for the accidental instigator as we got on really well, but the effects have lasted.
Sometimes I think it bugs him that Phil has a type of pop culture knowledge that he doesn't, he's mentioned missing out on a lot of 80s/early 90s stuff before (I can't remember when exactly sorry) because his parents didn't bother to show him if I remember correctly.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

Sakura Selfie wrote:
flarequake wrote:Oh, Daniel, making out we're all too young to have seen Speed. Explaining Blur to us as if our school trip to France in 1994 didn't include spotting them at the airport. We're all capable of finding old music and movies, etc, whatever our age.

Also on the subject of shipping, before becoming such a fan of YouTubers, I read on Twitter that some had had friendships ruined by the awkwardness of being shipped together. I don't go in for it especially when it gets in their faces. It's a thin line, but I think believing Deps are together is a different thing, though also to be kept away from them so I try to be careful what I reply to on Twitter and Tumblr, I've just recently let myself say things there and on here.

I had a year of heartbreak and anger back in 2011, aged 30 when you might think you'd be past such things that got so bad because of bullying/rejection trauma aged 8. It was caused by meeting an established group of friends and liking one of them a lot, but having it all go downhill as his friend thought we'd be good together when he wasn't interested and only withdrew so I lost first him and then the rest except for the accidental instigator as we got on really well, but the effects have lasted.
Sometimes I think it bugs him that Phil has a type of pop culture knowledge that he doesn't, he's mentioned missing out on a lot of 80s/early 90s stuff before (I can't remember when exactly sorry) because his parents didn't bother to show him if I remember correctly.
which frankly makes sense? he was 3 in 94, he probably didn't watch most of the grown-up "pop culture of the 80s/90s" stuff until a decade later. it's the same way i feel about fight club or the matrix, which came out when i was 3. it makes sense to explain those to the young people, because he himself is a young person, at least too young to have seen it when it was actually popular.
saffarinda
truth bomb

Sakura Selfie wrote:

He said it when wholesome Howell joined Phil's liveshow! They were talking about how Phil was shocked when he found out Dan had never watched ET or any of the old movies like that, so Phil was forcing him to watch them aha. Dan did say his parents never watched those sorts of movies so he never saw them~
25/04/2017 - #blessed
howadorableright
sad dimple

[offtopic]bringing up the wholesome Howell liveshow made me remember how people said dan wasn't wearing pants—you could see a flash of thigh when he stood up—and I thought that was just a funny topic okay bye sorry for the ot [/offtopic]
back back back back again
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

rizzo wrote:Honestly, everyone keeps talking about when Dan and Phil are traveling back home, but at this point, it's been 2 weeks since Playlist. Open your eyes, sheeple! Dan and Phil have begun their retired life together in Florida. This is their forever home. That duplex in London? A hotel they had to stay at, because their lease ended earlier than planned.

Case closed.
How are they still on holiday?! Not complaining because I've been on holiday myself and have had no time for any Deppy related goings on. Time to catch up on everything including that awful cat shirt Dan has been photographed in
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
fancy_nancy
phabergé

saffarinda wrote:
Sakura Selfie wrote:

He said it when wholesome Howell joined Phil's liveshow! They were talking about how Phil was shocked when he found out Dan had never watched ET or any of the old movies like that, so Phil was forcing him to watch them aha. Dan did say his parents never watched those sorts of movies so he never saw them~

He hadn't watched Back to the future either! I don't remember where he said that, I think another liveshow
howadorableright
sad dimple

missemma wrote:
rizzo wrote:Honestly, everyone keeps talking about when Dan and Phil are traveling back home, but at this point, it's been 2 weeks since Playlist. Open your eyes, sheeple! Dan and Phil have begun their retired life together in Florida. This is their forever home. That duplex in London? A hotel they had to stay at, because their lease ended earlier than planned.

Case closed.
How are they still on holiday?! Not complaining because I've been on holiday myself and have had no time for any Deppy related goings on. Time to catch up on everything including that awful cat shirt Dan has been photographed in
with the rate that they've been posting it's gonna take years to catch up
SquishPhan
capita£ester

VengefulBlue wrote:
Sakura Selfie wrote:

which frankly makes sense? he was 3 in 94, he probably didn't watch most of the grown-up "pop culture of the 80s/90s" stuff until a decade later. it's the same way i feel about fight club or the matrix, which came out when i was 3. it makes sense to explain those to the young people, because he himself is a young person, at least too young to have seen it when it was actually popular.
I'm not sure it is just his age, since I am the same age and have seen most of the things he has been talking about. I wasn't introduced to these things by my parents either, but these movies still air on TV quite a bit here, so plenty opportunities to see them. Plus with the internet these days, you can easily find most things.
I do roll my eyes at Dan when he mentions to Phil that no one knows what he is on about regarding Speed for example, because some people 'shockingly' do.
malday
emo goose

VengefulBlue wrote:
Sakura Selfie wrote: Sometimes I think it bugs him that Phil has a type of pop culture knowledge that he doesn't, he's mentioned missing out on a lot of 80s/early 90s stuff before (I can't remember when exactly sorry) because his parents didn't bother to show him if I remember correctly.
Don't think Phil was old enough to watch a lot of the 80/90's stuff when they came out either, but cult classics ran throughout all the 90's and they still do today on TV, so it's more of a not watching movies on the holidays with your family than anything.
secretagentphan
procrastinator

I find it so funny when Dan makes it out like none of his fanbase has heard of movies in bands later than the 2000s because I'm 19 and I know for a fact that I have way more knowledge about older movies and music than him. I didn't find his speed comment that patronizing but him explaining Blur like it was some sort of retro underground band made me roll my eyes a bit.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

ah, i never had cable, so that would explain it.
i'm also not really into movies, so it didn't occur that people watch movies outside of theatres, like on netflix or whatever
i actually appreciate his explanations, because i'm 21 and don't know about a lot of these things. it saves me the time of looking up and watching/listening to stuff i'm generally not interested in. i like listening to them talk about stuff they like, even though i like very different things.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I know he missed some of those, I also saw the live shows where he said it. It's still annoying for him to constantly forget everyone over some arbitrary age like that.
malday
emo goose

dan's jumper on the left?
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I think I agree with both opinions on this: when I know a lot about something and he explains it i'm like "you don't have to say it like that, I know what this is Dan" and it annoys me, but when he mentions something I know nothing about I like it that he explains haha.

Ohhh seems like they went on an airboat ride! I hope we get to see more cute photos.
howadorableright
sad dimple

fancy_nancy wrote:Ohhh seems like they went on an airboat ride! I hope we get to see more cute photos.
maybe they went back to gatorland and dans bought a new hat
but yeah, im really hoping for some cute pictures and it seems pretty possible considering the Kennedy space center pictures
lost686girl
living flop

wait how do we know they went on a (boat) ride?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lost686girl wrote:wait how do we know they went on a (boat) ride?
Martyn's wristband in the instagram pic above. :)
lost686girl
living flop

alittledizzy wrote:
lost686girl wrote:wait how do we know they went on a (boat) ride?
Martyn's wristband in the instagram pic above. :)
ya'll so stealthy i can't keep up
swofro
angel bean

missemma wrote:

Case closed.
*gasp* *clutch my pearl necklace*
That cat shirt is the most wholesome tshirt, how can you say that?
Love is forever
000dia000
emo goose

I'd just like to say, Tyler's no saint. He did reblog phan stuff on tumblr then delete it after. That was only last year. One of the posts expressing how out a person is by either Troyler or Phan, insinuating that while Tyler and Troy were "out", Dan and Phil were not. Shane's cringey. Tyler's cringey. Everybody's pretty terrible, especially when millions of people are analyzing their every move. I don't think people should have a "free pass" for outing/nearly outing a gay person because they themselves are gay. Sexuality doesn't define a person's intelligence, tactfulness or understanding of those with different experiences. Just because Shane is bi, or Tyler is gay, means that they know everything there is to know about gay people and can do whatever the hell they like. Not a comment on anyone here, but just a rant on people like them in general.

Also, the random posting of pictures of them in the same clothing makes me wonder if they're pulling a Daniel Radcliffe and wearing the same clothes often to confuse us I know they're just wearing the same clothes several days in a row they can't hide
:cactus:
JustMe
living flop

000dia000 wrote:I'd just like to say, Tyler's no saint. He did reblog phan stuff on tumblr then delete it after. That was only last year. One of the posts expressing how out a person is by either Troyler or Phan, insinuating that while Tyler and Troy were "out", Dan and Phil were not. Shane's cringey. Tyler's cringey.
Somebody actually hacked his tumblr account, that's why he deleted it after. I remember he even acknowledged it in a tweet saying something like people should never be pressured into revealing personal information.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~