Dan & Phil Part 47: Do it with Dan!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sinnamonrollphil
drama llama

Katka wrote:I'm not going to join that discussion because I haven't watched the liveshow but I don't think we should call it no-homoing when Phil talks about an internet girlfriend he once had. We've just had a bi-erasure discussion earlier today and this is kind of it (regardless of whether Phil is actually bi or not, what do I know). Mentioning attraction to women doesn't mean someone's straight or implying they're straight at all. Right, just wanted to get that off my chest.
nah i don't have a problem with the talking about girls thing, i know phil's bi, and im biromantic myself so that's not an issue for me. it was just strange that of everything he mentioned, he very purposely chose not to mention that he would be flirting with other guys too. like he explicitly mentions girls, and i'll give him credit that at the end he used very vague non-binary language but idk it seemed like a cop out and i was disappointed. and like, i get that it's his own business, but he was openly attracted to guys a long time ago, and clearly it's not a 'phan' thing if dan very openly admits to liking guys? so that's what i meant when i called it 'no-homo'

and like, it very well might not have been his fault. like the tomska script that included joking scenes about dan and phil going on a date was clearly fine? and i got the impression that didn't happen cause tinder didn't approve it. and like, based on what i've seen personally using tinder as well as their marketing practices overall, i wouldn't be surprised if they made him only mention girls and not guys explicitly. but like...if that's true im also really disappointed that they would work with tinder at all. so idk, the whole thing had me unsure how to feel
cherrybomb3
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: he/him

Flomy wrote:Lol whats up with Dan's family giving him stuff with a picture of their dog printed on it. Would love to see him wearing that shirt though, not gonna lie.

i mean theyre nothing if not consistent i suppose. either that or launching a colin merch line

also major lost opportunity for a radiohead reference w/ bonzai tree darn
plath
sofa crease

Liveshow thoughts...

I was really looking forward to this liveshow but Dan seemed a bit stressed and the vibe wasn't super chill, but never mind! It was still nice.

The huge rant at the beginning about his branding was just not that interesting to me tbh?? Maybe I'm just out of touch with the fandom (I definitely 100% am out of touch with the fandom...) but does everyone really care that much about what font he uses in his youtube banner?? Idk, idk.

I was really looking forward to hearing his thoughts about the general elections. I was curious how he would cover it without alienating any tories in his audience (he has such a huge viewership, there must be at least a few out there). I think he did well distracting everyone with the clicky screen thing while talking about controversial topics.

What word did he explain today? Hyberbolic or something?? Like Dan...ily but you don't need to explain perfectly normal words to us.

I got the sense that birthdays in general made him very uncomfortable, and it's part of the British way to be very jokey/dismissive and lovingly abuse your friends as a sign of affection, so his whole present thing didn't offend me or anything, but it did kind of make me a bit sad for myself. Personal note but I don't have any close friends, every year I'm alone for my birthday. I would be so ecstatic if I had friends who cared so much about me they'd want to drag me out for sushi and cocktails and buy me obnoxiously large flowers. That would be so nice. But anyway, he has a right to feel how he likes and I don't think he was 100% serious anyway. (But seriously, sunflowers are AWESOME. Van Gogh is throwing a paint brush at you rn, Dan!!)

I liked what he said about Wonder Woman but I disagree that it wasn't as stylistically pleasing as Captain America. The Amazons' island was just stunning to look at. That shot where Diana dives into the sea.........? SLAY. ME. Ugh. I want to go see it again...

I like the tinder sponsership tbh. It's nice to get acknowledged as an adult watching D+P because quite often you can feel completely drowned out, or like their videos aren't for you somehow. It's nice to feel welcome watching their content and not just thinking that they're pandering only to teens and tweens.

Looking forward to preggo Dill tomorrow. I hope they upload early so I've got something enertaining to watch with my morning coffee :D

Anyway, I'm glad we got a liveshow. I hope that next time Dan is feeling a bit more relaxed and chill. And I loved that Phil texted Dan to tell everyone about his liveshow, I don't ship them but that was cute AF lol.
nope.
jesp
why bother

Click somewhere here to vote for the next thread title.

In the mean time, it's fine to keep posting in this thread - 40 pages is a guideline, not a rule.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

Katka wrote:I'm not going to join that discussion because I haven't watched the liveshow but I don't think we should call it no-homoing when Phil talks about an internet girlfriend he once had.
agreed. i personally don't like the phrase at all even when it's used with 10 layers of irony and i'm sure i'm not the only one? at the end of the day, it's supposed to mean, "don't associate me with gay people", and some people still use it online and irl in homophobic contexts. i understand that nobody means harm with it and that it probably comes from dan saying it unironically some years ago, but...i'd ~take it one step further~ and suggest not to call things dan and phil do no-homoing in general. i think it's either being used wrt to them not being open about their orientations, in which case i frankly don't think it's appropriate, or their relationship, where the word doesn't even really apply and, say, phanty-ing could be a thing. phanting. being phanties. idk i'm tired.
plath wrote:What word did he explain today? Hyberbolic or something?? Like Dan...ily but you don't need to explain perfectly normal words to us.
in that specific case i didn't need it, but as a non-native speaker i personally appreciate him doing that in general. same wrt to music and pop culture etc., i personally get the impression that he tries to be inclusive of people who are non-fluent in english and might have grown up with different pop culture. i think it's a nice thing to think of.
although he's not always helpful -- i thought 'self-depracating' and 'self-depreciating' were the same words for months until i got suspicious and looked it up.
thank's you were great
plath
sofa crease

lurker wrote:
plath wrote:What word did he explain today? Hyberbolic or something?? Like Dan...ily but you don't need to explain perfectly normal words to us.
in that specific case i didn't need it, but as a non-native speaker i personally appreciate him doing that in general. same wrt to music and pop culture etc., i personally get the impression that he tries to be inclusive of people who are non-fluent in english and might have grown up with different pop culture. i think it's a nice thing to think of.
although he's not always helpful -- i thought 'self-depracating' and 'self-depreciating' were the same words for months until i got suspicious and looked it up.
That's really funny but I initially had "or maybe for ESL speakers idk" in my original comment but I took it out bc I thought it might sound patronising. It's great that's it's helped you! In that case, I hope he continues.
nope.
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

sinnamonrollphil wrote:
nah i don't have a problem with the talking about girls thing, i know phil's bi, and im biromantic myself so that's not an issue for me. it was just strange that of everything he mentioned, he very purposely chose not to mention that he would be flirting with other guys too. like he explicitly mentions girls, and i'll give him credit that at the end he used very vague non-binary language but idk it seemed like a cop out and i was disappointed. and like, i get that it's his own business, but he was openly attracted to guys a long time ago, and clearly it's not a 'phan' thing if dan very openly admits to liking guys? so that's what i meant when i called it 'no-homo'
Perhaps I need to watch the video a third time, but as far as I recall he only relayed one story about one online girl in this video. He mentioned if he had had Tinder he would be talking to more "people" and he mentioned he did have other emails like that to share if we were interested (probably all females but who knows). Oh, I think I know what you're talking about, that he mentioned flirting with girls irl to the girl he was catfishing, when in reality he said he was probably playing Bubble Bobble. But like that is presumably what he actually wrote to her, to make her jealous. We don't know how old he was, so arguments could be made he hadn't had his "bi-awakening" or maybe SurferDude had no reason to talk about guys and neither did Phil in that particularly video. I just don't see it as a 'no-homo' at all. Sorry I'm cranky and I need to eat.
onetruetrash
blobfish

[offtopic]I didn't think anyone was actually gonna vote for "Exposing themselves via fidget spinner" but apparently 18 people did? I'm pleasantly surprised! Thanks! :)[/offtopic]
sinnamonrollphil
drama llama

autumnhearth wrote:
sinnamonrollphil wrote:
Perhaps I need to watch the video a third time, but as far as I recall he only relayed one story about one online girl in this video. He mentioned if he had had Tinder he would be talking to more "people" and he mentioned he did have other emails like that to share if we were interested (probably all females but who knows). Oh, I think I know what you're talking about, that he mentioned flirting with girls irl to the girl he was catfishing, when in reality he said he was probably playing Bubble Bobble. But like that is presumably what he actually wrote to her, to make her jealous. We don't know how old he was, so arguments could be made he hadn't had his "bi-awakening" or maybe SurferDude had no reason to talk about guys and neither did Phil in that particularly video. I just don't see it as a 'no-homo' at all. Sorry I'm cranky and I need to eat.
nah i think you're probs right and im being over-dramatic, from what i could tell it felt very 'phil was 13 and thought this was funny' kind of thing so perhaps it was 'pre bi-awakening'. granted im just cynical and i dont actually think any of it was real. like i dont doubt that actually did happen when he was younger but come on...it's been like at least 15 years....no way he actually still had the emails. im guessing it was a dramatic/exaggerated recreation of something he actually did when he was young but regardless i'll never be able to prove that theory
YourMother
smol bean

sinnamonrollphil wrote:i am CRYING I took a screenshot (http://imgur.com/a/qJtDM) and had my friend who speaks Japanese look at the icon option dan made and 'supposedly' didn't know what it said but he's a bitch ass liar cause my friend said it means 'think too much'
It technically reads as 'too many thoughts', which kinda reads weirdly. Like someone put 'thinking too much' into google translate and just copypasted the result ;)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

onetruetrash wrote:[offtopic]I didn't think anyone was actually gonna vote for "Exposing themselves via fidget spinner" but apparently 18 people did? I'm pleasantly surprised! Thanks! :)[/offtopic]
I did cos it's fricking hilarious.

That was a slightly less lovely liveshow than usual. He was terrible about his birthday presents, but lovely to the fans about his artwork and tweets, so that sounds like a good act for us pretending he didn't like anything his rl peeps gave him. I dunno. Though a photo print tshirt of the family dog is just hilariously daft and a plastic tree of the kind just nearly killed, hmm, I agree that's too soon.

Funny how he skated over the possibility of a Tinder spon. At least he'll probably make it hella funny. Seemed possibly genuine in Haruing TomSkas Rejects script, can't totally tell tbh but he must have known about it, maybe just being low key. Reddit might meme the hell out of it, but in itself as an app with credibility or any link to their work I'm still not sold.

I thought his time spent on graphic design was sweet, we all spend ages and scrap half the stuff if we get into making things like that. His attempts are all right and quite endearing, they suit his style anyway.

I didn't really pick up on negative vibes about Phil, the PR comment etc. Cute how he shows us a different terrarium and admitted making up names. Thing is he makes up such ordinary names and from reading the chat, a lot are actually usernames or real, but more unusual. Nice that he doesn't mind being honest about a lot of things, though.

Boy has got to stop comparing himself to people. He's cute and creative as hell, what does Jennifer Lawrence have anyway. And Chris Evans is my Chris of choice tbh, Pine is all right, but I don't see it.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

so like should i watch the liveshow or not bc a lot of people are saying that dan was in an iffy mood and i dont wanna be in an iffy mode watching it (bc his mood would affect mine)
:transheart:
ArtyJim
glabella

Skylar wrote:so like should i watch the liveshow or not bc a lot of people are saying that dan was in an iffy mood and i dont wanna be in an iffy mode watching it (bc his mood would affect mine)
if you understand/like that dan is sarcastic about most things then it's a fine ls lol. i honestly didn't have any problems w/ it like others seemed to. it's just a matter of personal taste whether or not you like it when he's particularly sarcastic which imo is all it is.
kalli
butt chair

[offtopic]Thomas and Leo -
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote:
kalli wrote: It's been pretty clear for a while that Thomas and Leo are a couple, so let's just take a moment to appreciate how adorable they are and how beautiful this photoshoot is
Sorry for being offtopic and this question being not about D&P but I've always loved Leo and Thomas together and i was wondering if they're still together? Cause the last pictures they have of each other was Dec 2016 for Leo and February 17 this year for Thomas. I really hope they're still together cause they're so cute together.
I really hope so too! That tumblr post Thomas made was from April so they were at least together as of two months ago. I don't follow them extremely closely so I could be wrong but from what I've seen, they've never really posted about each other a lot so I feel like it's safe to assume they're still together
[/offtopic]

I've seen a few people previously say they find discussion of Dan's family uncomfortable, so I'll put it under a spoiler. It's regarding Dan's mention of his mom/family in the liveshow.
Just for the records if anyone's keeping track, Dan once again talked about his family without using the word parents, only mum/family. He has mentioned his mom far more often this year than in past years, and always in a positive light. As I've said before, I don't think any strong theories can be formed from this and it's ultimately none of our business, but I do wonder why he seems more comfortable talking about his mom now. Whatever the reason for this change, I perceive it as an indication of a good relationship with his mom. Even just a year ago I would have assumed they weren't very close based on how he typically spoke of his parents negatively, and of course I wish for anyone to have a healthy relationship with their parents, so I'm happy to learn his relationship with his mom either has improved or is better than I thought :thumb:
I honestly love the fact that Dan made his icons on twitter and youtube, as well as his header on youtube himself. One of my favourite things about his channel is how he does sketches and such from home just using some costumes, props and edited backgrounds. I've always found it impressive that he can make the videos he does by himself (with occasional help from Phil) and on a low budget. Being an introvert and a perfectionist who works better on my own, watching someone work in the same way I do is relatable (lol) and to be successful doing so is encouraging. So you go, Daniel, makes those icons and headers yourself!

I was expecting a diy photoshoot like they've done in the past, but I must say, I'm glad he chose something more casual. I wasn't expecting the rap squat, but I actually like it Plus the grey and white is a 11/10 fab aesthetic imo
fancy_nancy
phabergé

giving Dan gifts that have Colins face printed on them is probably the cutest thing, it must be an inside joke with his family but it really is very sweet, I wish I had my puppers face printed on some stuff hahaha
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie