Dan & Phil Part 48: Exposing themselves via fidget spinner

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
quercussp
living flop

Can I just say I loved this video so much! Dan was so careful and tender with Phil's hair, and at the end, when Phil was brushing Dan's curls my heart just melted... So much fondness in one video.

Also, what’s with the jumpcut at 7:39? They literally cut half of the word "surfer"?

P.S. I'm a long time lurker, hi everybody:)
P.S.S. Sorry for being at the top of the page
nikkii
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: she/her

aw I really enjoyed that video! I loved how relaxed they seemed to be
although it looks like the fringe is here to stay for the foreseeable future i am here for curly!Phil, like saffarinda said, if they brushed it over i think it would have looked even better
also for someone who has never used a curling iron, dan did a pretty good job!! to be fair anyone could do a better job than me, who burned their face while attempting to curl my own hair
also new react video w deppy!! and so many other youtubers i love like safiya, pj and nathan zed
SquishPhan
capita£ester

000dia000 wrote:
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would.
Phil looked so good in this vid.

Seems like Nicki Minaj is one of those topics that Dan talks about (probably more like rants let’s be honest) and Phil just listens to.

And of course they did the challenge while staying seated in their chair. I’ve never related to them more.

Also I totally agree with almost everything PJ said.
droopy
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

10 minutes and five seconds of unadulterated fanservice. Completely pointless and domestic and fun. This is the quality content I signed up for.

- Dan left Phil!!! in the emo hair era. rip
- another brief glimpse into Dan's less-than-pleasant school days. :/ Is there a compilation of these sorts of mentions?
- I've never heard the superstition that bread crusts make your hair curly? that's super cute though lol
- Dan is really fixated on the alternative, more torturous uses for that curler, wow.
- maybe it's because it's a fresh look, but I like the curls just as much as the fringe imho. (still on Team Quiff all the way, not that I get any say in the matter)
- Spaniel Towel
Last edited by droopy on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really hope someone watches this again just to note the times of suspicious jumpcuts, because it didn't occur to me til I was done and I've definitely burned through the amount of time I can procrastinate work.

1:01 - I wonder if Phil picked out the picture of Dan with good hair, or Dan did?
2:07 - Dan's reaction to the curlers.
2:46 - "That looks like something else." And Phil's face lighting up/reacting enthusiastically.
3:47 - Dan trolling Phil with them.
3:54 - "What was the last time I was in this bed?"
4:11 - Dan making Phil look like "teen Nick Jonas, without the face" and Phil being offended.
4:29 - Dan absently touching Phil's hair while he talks.
5:31 - "I'm gonna pork you up, Phil."
6:05 - "I'm finding you so disturbing right now."
6:45 - "We need a safety word, Phil." "The safety word is ow."
7:36 - Phil's expression/smile waiting on Dan to say what he thinks. Dan: "You look like a cool Australian surfer."
7:55 - Phil likes the name Dan gives him.
8:23 - "IN DEPTH CAM" get off our brand, yo
8:48 - Phil interrupts Dan's berating of his own curling skills to say, Hey! You didn't burn my face off." There's some weird hand movements here - I think Dan reaches a hand out a bit and maybe Phil raises his, so they bump arms just off camera?
8:51 - Phil says BINK and pokes Dan's cheek.
8:57 - Dan tried to turn Phil into his celebrity crush Nick Jonas, so Phil turns the favor by trying to give Dan the single curl of his celebrity crush Zayn. They're just gonna roleplay Nick Jonas/Zayn sex after this.
9:13 - Wounded boyfriend Dan. "Are you saying that my hair is ugly?" Quick to rectify Phil: "No!"
9:46 - Dan determinedly talking over Phil as Phil spons his last video.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

The discussion has kind of come and gone, but re: getting bored with a fandom:
I actually just realized it's been almost a year since I was introduced to and I'm somewhat surprised that I'm still just as interested? I've never been actively interested in any other youtubers (or any other fandom honestly) so it's kind of a new thing for me. I definitely think that part of it is the fact that it's an interest that isn't entirely solo, like their videos are a shared activity with my s/o and I like coming here to read all your thoughts. I do legit enjoy the content too, ofc.

Speaking of that, I wasn't expecting a video today but that was a nice surprise. I'm glad nobody get seriously burned. Ignoring the lack of ~integrity~ or whatever, I really do like simple videos like this. I think it's the kind of thing that drew a lot of people to youtube vloggers to begin with, the whole vicariously hanging out with people without them necessarily doing something crazy and unique. Not that I don't appreciate when they try new things but I don't mind visual comfort food.

Dan actually did a pretty good job with the iron. Is that how you're actually supposed to do it though, with your fingers so close to the hot part?? I don't think full on curls would really suit Phil but he didn't look bad at all.
dontpanic
#relatable

mood:

"these were on sale" --- the most in-character sentence to ever leave Phil's mouth Same, phil. I currently have 19 bottles of laundry detergent in my trunk because there was a sale when buying in bulk.

Their whole bant re: bread/crust is pure gold

4:12---#Dick is rising! Due to outside forces Dan and Nick Jonas can never be together so, in order to compensate for this injustice, Dan requests Phil to roll-play as Nick Jonas for his own viewing pleasure :gg:

I wonder if they brushed phil's hair before this, since Phil never brushes his hair normally. Also, ever since the sofa video my kink has been Dan lightly touching Phil's fringe.

weird editing at 7:39.

8:48--soft touch, much love

I love how Phil asks Dan to curl his hair instead of collab-ing with...idk...someone with hair curling experience. not going to lie, this felt v. cliche "my boyfriend does my hair" and I'm completely okay with it.
I've been going through something pretty bad this month, and I've been avoiding talking to people because of it but for some reason this video kida made me feel...optimistic for the first time in a while? I don't think I'd even rewatch this vid again, but it's just so sweet and calm I can't help but feel calm as well. I'm actually going to go and finally text people back now
Aeryth
squish

well, 2017 has just reached its peak for me

I’m surprised that Dan did such a great job curling Phil’s hair and at the same time considering all his thorough crafts at the radio I’m somehow not surprised at all :D

with the similar hair they look strangely like two halves of one whole, can they stop it please don’t
I feel like if I watch Youtubers React with them tonight as well, that’ll be the end of me
droopy

I am kind of curious with others' opinions on what parts were intended fanservice and what were genuine interactions. Or was it all fanservice/all genuine from others' POV? I know there have been discussions about D&P-style fanservice before, and I agree that the line between fanservice interactions and "genuine" interactions is blurred with them (since a lot of their genuine interactions also count as fanservice), but I guess my question is, did any interactions stand out as deliberately fanservice-y? To me, the entire topic of the video was pretty fanservice-y (and bless them for it), but the content wasn't too played-up or fake.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Re: getting bored with Deppy:
Recently, in the last 2ish months, I have been really busy irl (with another fandom). It made me not have time to keep up with videos and live shows. I got their tweet notifications on my phone but I wasn't really that interested in reading them because I was hardly at home. When I got back home I thought that I had maybe stepped away from Dan and Phil a little. I tried to catch up on videos and live shows but I didn't have any motivation to do so. The other fandom I'm in is completely different to this one, and because I've been in it 20 or so years it's much more personal and the people I stan know me now and get us into their shows etc (actively encouraging us to go to more stuff). I guess for a period of time it made me kinda bitter about this fandom. Looking at it now, a few weeks on, I'm not bitter anymore and realise that the two fandoms are completely different and I am totally sucked back in didn't think I would be here for 6 months let alone 3 years!
alittledizzy wrote:Dan made a facebook-only post:

THIS IS POST FOR V FRUSTRATE PEOPLE ANGERY REACT ONLY PLS SHARE IF U AGREE
Pfft, I posted a link to the D&P survey on one of his video posts on facebook a month or so ago and just realised today that either him or his page has blocked me. Probably thought it was spam when I was just trying to capture his Facebook audience too funny.

Phil's new video:
Loved it. They look so funny in that small room. There is no way of convincing me Phil got a tiny room. Maybe they can do a second video where Dan gives Phil the quiff we are all dreaming of.
Edited to say: anyone else hold their breath when Dan said "in depth cam"? Totally thought he was gonna say "in depth baby's".
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
saffarinda
truth bomb

droopy wrote:10 minutes and five seconds of unadulterated fanservice. Completely pointless and domestic and fun. This is the quality content I signed up for.

- another brief glimpse into Dan's less-than-pleasant school days. :/ Is there a compilation of these sorts of mentions?
- I've never heard the superstition that bread crusts make your hair curly? that's super cute though lol
- Dan is really fixated on the alternative, more torturous uses for that curler, wow.
- maybe it's because it's a fresh look, but I like the curls just as much as the fringe imho. (still on Team Quiff all the way, not that I get any say in the matter)
- Spaniel Towel

I'd rewatch to add more to my list of personal highlights, but I just noticed the new FBE upload has Dan front and center, so I'm off to see that!
Have you never? My mum used to tell it to me all the time because I loathed (and still do, tbh) crusts, and my hair was v straight, so I used to want something different. However, I had a friend at the time who had long, curly hair and iy just ended up looking bushy so I never wanted curly hair, therefore I never ate my crusts! Maybe they need to update it to whatever's trendy at the time eat 4000 crusts and a free fidget spinner will appear under your pillow

I noticed the cut off between surfer. There were a lot of lil subtle editing mistakes throughout. My guess is that it's because Phil edited it in America and wanted to get it up and edited so he could go spend more time doing things/he has a busy schedule over there. He sacrificed some slight odd jumpcuts for some cool effects (the zooming in, red faced Daniel), so either he watched it through before he posted and decided he didnt have time nor patience to find the original clip and re-trim it so it didn't cut off the end of his sentence, or he was rushing and didn't watch over the whole vid and just uploaded it.

I agree with you that the concept was fanservice but the interactions weren't played up, droopy!
25/04/2017 - #blessed
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I know this is blatant fanservice and I don't care, I am so here for it, have been looking forward to this silly video since they mentioned it, and was so excited when the notif popped up.

Daaaaammnnn the amount of flirty soft looks Phil was giving Dan was off the charts. I felt like he was staring at Dan's face (and lips???) a LOT and even licked his lips at one point (during the chicken comment... #furrykinkconfirmed) (do chickens count as being in the furry fandom?), which I need a GIF of asap.

And maybe I'm biased af but I thought Phil looked bloody gorgeous when the curling was done He both reminded me of Benedict Cumberbatch and simultaneously looked like a really good hair model edit on Tumblr.

ALSO I am not a huge fan of FBE but I enjoyed the video. Deppy seemed all up in each other's space there too. Christ you guys
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote:

Thanks, Philly, I needed this.
Be the video fanservice or whatever, I also needed it right now. I've been really anxious tonight and this video calmed me just enough so that I can attempt to go to sleep now.

Loved the curly look on Phil.
lurker
janice from the shop

i love how they joked in a ls about making a "curling my hair" video and then phil went ahead and did it anyway. i thought it was a good one. most of my impressions were already mentioned, but it really stood out to me how relaxed they seemed. dan didn't even make a comment about how this is below a quality threshold, instead he was so concentrated on his task. also definitely too interested in the torturous applications of a curling iron for someone who spent every day using a straightener for years, they're almost the same device, guys. he did well though! i noticed the large amount of jumpcuts too, but i think it makes sense that dan might have been testing some more? the "surfer" one was weird, though. also lol @dan for talking throughout the spon. i'd be really curious to know how much phil got paid for that shoutout.

i also think it's interesting to see at the moment how dan is trying to work out a concept of his channel or what he wants to be remembered for (to phrase it dramatically) whereas phil seems to have acquired an almost jennamarblesque lack of fucks to give and will just post what he thinks people will watch. i don't really know how new this is, but it kind of stands out to me lately, and i'd be sooo curious to hear more about phil's approach to deciding what goes on his channel, but we might never know.

i'm happy they uploaded and now off to watch the fbe one.
thank's you were great
malday
emo goose

rizzo wrote:Aaaargggggh! I have very little time to write this post, but omg I loved that video. Quick thoughts, that I'm sure others will elaborate on:
  • So much relaxed, flirty behavior around each other. OMG???
  • Fuck the gaming channel, amirite? At this point, they're basically posting like... monthly pinofs all over the place and I'm so here for it.
  • A lot of fond. This lines up with point A. I can't get over it.
  • I hate that Phil offered an excuse as to why his hair will continue to be a fringe. Even when Dan essentially noted it's time for a change. Change is good, Phil. Change is good.
  • LOL. Paid by Tinder. (6 figures, surely.)
  • That montage of Dan doing Phil's hair gave me life and I'm not 100% sure why.
  • Don't know the exact quote, but something about Dan saying "what happened last time I was in this bed...." Fucking. Killed. Me. And it wasn't even that serious.
K. gottarun.jpeg
+1

I am here if sponsors want to spon them so they can put out silly domestic videos like this.
I hope Dan involves Phil somehow in his Tinder spon, too.
(and later they can get Married in August ™ and Tinder can feature them as a success story).

p.s. No need to curl your hair Phil, but stop straightening it and give it some volume instead!
droopy

saffarinda wrote:
droopy wrote:10 minutes and five seconds of unadulterated fanservice. Completely pointless and domestic and fun. This is the quality content I signed up for.

- Spaniel Towel

I'd rewatch to add more to my list of personal highlights, but I just noticed the new FBE upload has Dan front and center, so I'm off to see that!
Have you never? My mum used to tell it to me all the time because I loathed (and still do, tbh) crusts, and my hair was v straight, so I used to want something different. However, I had a friend at the time who had long, curly hair and iy just ended up looking bushy so I never wanted curly hair, therefore I never ate my crusts! Maybe they need to update it to whatever's trendy at the time eat 4000 crusts and a free fidget spinner will appear under your pillow

I noticed the cut off between surfer. There were a lot of lil subtle editing mistakes throughout. My guess is that it's because Phil edited it in America and wanted to get it up and edited so he could go spend more time doing things/he has a busy schedule over there. He sacrificed some slight odd jumpcuts for some cool effects (the zooming in, red faced Daniel), so either he watched it through before he posted and decided he didnt have time nor patience to find the original clip and re-trim it so it didn't cut off the end of his sentence, or he was rushing and didn't watch over the whole vid and just uploaded it.

I agree with you that the concept was fanservice but the interactions weren't played up, droopy!
Hmm, interesting! Maybe it's a UK thing? I'm from the States so that would make sense. I'd never heard of the new shoes superstition either, so I never understood why Phil freaked out in the Festive DitL until I stumbled across the explanation somewhere else. I just thought he was sick of Dan buying too many shoes or something lol.

The FBE video was cute, is it weird I'm disappointed D&P didn't stand for their part? I was more excited to see PJ tbh because I wasn't expecting him to be in it. Also Phil in his denim jacket, what a blessed day this is.
fancybum
senpai

I can't watch the video yet, but just seeing the title on the notif gave me a nice jolt of happy feels. And:
lurker wrote: i also think it's interesting to see at the moment how dan is trying to work out a concept of his channel or what he wants to be remembered for (to phrase it dramatically) whereas phil seems to have acquired an almost jennamarblesque lack of fucks to give and will just post what he thinks people will watch.
I and my avatar heartily support this message. Let that freak flag fly Phil (say that 10 times fast).

Does it actually say this entire video was sponsored by Tinder again? Or was he just shouting out the last vid especially hard to keep the views (and potential Tinder $ignup$) funnelling through the last one?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
SquishPhan
capita£ester

fancybum wrote:Does it actually say this entire video was sponsored by Tinder again? Or was he just shouting out the last vid especially hard to keep the views (and potential Tinder $ignup$) funnelling through the last one?
Nope and I'm pretty sure it's not. He just mentions it at the end of this vid (basically tells us to watch his previous vid that he did with Tinder) and Tinder is in the description.
Edit: alittledizzy explained it better.
Last edited by SquishPhan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote:Does it actually say this entire video was sponsored by Tinder again? Or was he just shouting out the last vid especially hard to keep the views (and potential Tinder $ignup$) funnelling through the last one?
At the bottom he disclaims the last thirty seconds is a paid shoutout to his previous video, so I'm guessing he just got some extra cash out of the deal by agreeing to a secondary boost - but it's only the last thirty seconds. (Also, Dan's literally talking over him the entire time, lmfao.)
swofro
angel bean

Where do I start

Philip Lester, a blessing to us all. This is the kind of video that was going to be on LAP if this was a few years ago (try new things!) but here we are. Such a lazy content but man, what a great lazy content. I am here for this fanservice
  • Curly hair Phil is really cute. I wish they have comb it because I think P can really pull it off
  • Phil buying a hair curler because it is on sale resonates with me
  • Phil in northern accent. Yaass
  • Dan's salon name, welcome to the D's
  • in depth cam
  • getting a shot of the other side of Phil's room
  • (also secretly wish the emo fringe will die one day. Embrace the forehead Phil, the forehead deserves better. Give us some quiffs) Image
I really love this video

React video
  • Deppy didn't even try, what the hell Image Image
  • Papa PJ is bae. I am very distracted with his eyes to listen to what he says I have to rewind a few times. I can't believe I once said I don't understand the attraction of Peej.
  • I am not into the topic because I don't even know it is a thing but hey, at least it is not another react to kpop right
  • Phil in denim hello
Today's overall mood
Love is forever
chunchun
phillion/danosaur <//3

droopy wrote:I am kind of curious with others' opinions on what parts were intended fanservice and what were genuine interactions. Or was it all fanservice/all genuine from others' POV? I know there have been discussions about D&P-style fanservice before, and I agree that the line between fanservice interactions and "genuine" interactions is blurred with them (since a lot of their genuine interactions also count as fanservice), but I guess my question is, did any interactions stand out as deliberately fanservice-y? To me, the entire topic of the video was pretty fanservice-y (and bless them for it), but the content wasn't too played-up or fake.
Yes, I believe the topic was fanservice, but the video itself was just silly and genuine and i loved it!

I wasn't expecting anything like this today, so what a nice surprise. I also agree that the video seemed kind of like a "boyfriend does my hair" kind of thing, hehe in general the boyfriend vibes here were off the charts, and it didn't even feel forced

Phil really loves Dan's curls and I'm here for that. Part of me also believes he's probably always loved Dan's curls since the beginning :D

I also liked how Phil's hair turned out. It needed a little more styling imo, but in general I feel like it was refreshing seeing something different on Phil for once! I'd love for the fringe to get a little shorter, maybe even go back to brown hair, but that's just me. :p
llion
living flop

so excited about the curl video i had to hop on IDB! i haven't had time to catch up at all, so i'm just going to blindly voice my opinions on the newest video.

i love phil's dorky "guest reveals", (mostly because he only ever does it with dan) and since he's usually collabing with dan anyway i think it's really endearing. excuse me while i go suggest "spaniel towel" for the next thread title. dan's careful, gentle handling of phil's hair was also so... domestic and caring i was just the entire video. phil's obsession with touching dan's curls will always be my favorite thing. (flashbacks to the "pig tail")

as for fanservice, i think that it's just how the chips naturally fall. the video idea is the service, but the things they do just seemed like how they always are to me. they actually seemed more relaxed to me than usual, sometimes the simple videos are the best videos.

his torture device references are definitely because of the shape
art credit: koreinkorein (thank you!)
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

ohmyfrickinggod that was probably my favourite video that they have ever done, pinof level :D there were so many things i loved but the ones that left me nearly dying of laughter were babuse & curluse (the sound effects made it so much funnier, i wonder why this is edited a bit differently vs what phil usually does. mostly noticed the timing and using the same effect again and again during similar jokes. to save time? but they seem like actual editing choices to me. it was funny anyway!) and "you dont need to see, you dont need to breathe... where youre going" (because i just love when they make references to that video).

wish i had more time to make timestamps!
oh, and a new dan pic. why is there so much content today, im confused.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil serving us the mindless fanservice content we need. I kept hoping this video would be set up for a permanent hair change even though I knew better since this pre-filmed before Vidcon and he's still sporting the Lego hair. But oh how glorious that would've been. It would instantly knock down them moving into 2nd place of most exciting thing to have happened this year.

Commentary but literally half of this is me hating on Phil's fringe I just hate it that much ok.

- Honey your 'fun way to introduce the guest' got old like last year but if it's with Dan it's cute because literally no one thinks of Dan as a 'guest' on this channel. :')
- Spaniel Towel
- "You can just call me Dan you know. We've known each other long enough." Dan's generosity knows no bounds.
- That hairstyle isn't even popular in kpop anymore lmao they all have fucking variations of bowlcuts now.
- IT'S TIME TO LET THE FRINGE GO PHILLY LITERALLY EVERYONE AGREES. :D
- Dan is really impressed with the high quality content Phil brings to YouTube.
- Phil's scalp is going to be bleeding by the end of this.
- "That looks like something else.. chopsticks you fucking perv" I know stories of boyfriends finding their girlfriend's curling iron a drawer and thinking they found a vibrator, no joke.
- Guys trying to figure out a curling iron is almost as funny as guys cringing when seeing a girl use lash curlers.
- Yeah his hair is def too short to get any real curls but you could make a wave work I think.
- My mind went somewhere else at 'the last time I was on this bed' so Dan is right I am a fucking perv.
- The fringe the worst part of your hair hon. Dan would do you a fucking solid if he burned it into shreds.
- Dan gently running his fingers through Phil's hair ugh yes
- That is not how you use a curling iron you dork. :facepalm:
- "We have a curl!" Where??
- Can I just say that PINOF is gonna be amazing this year like they literally have to squish together to get in frame in this tiny ass broom closet with windows. Any activity we'll make them do this year will have to happen with them practically sitting on top of each other. Hallelujah.
- "It's part of my personality now" Well get a new personality then. :sideeye:
- Chicken discourse what the fuck?
- D&P educating the youths on the importance of safe words.
- That honestly could've looked so much worse. I'm actually kinda digging it but compared to the Lego hair Phil currently sports almost anything is an improvement.
- ..why does Phil always go with that 'what name would you give me' question cause just like the introduction thing it's really outdated and it's never been particularly funny but hey anything to get that video over the 10 minute mark I guess??
- Yet he didn't bless us with a selfie after all. You can't trust men smh.
- SHUT UP DAN IS2G PHIL DOES NOT ~NEED~ THAT ABOMINATION OF A FRINGE
- SHUT UP PHIL YOU'RE AN EVEN BETTER VERSION OF YOURSELF WITHOUT THAT FRINGE
- In Depth Cam you say? Hi Dan.
- Good Friend Award? Not as long as he lets Phil's fringe happen. Bad Friend.
- Aw. You'll never eat popcorn by yourself at a party Philly, because Dan will be right there glued to your side.
- Dan talking through the Tinder plug lol.

In conclusion, Phil is such a tease letting me see him with a haircut that doesn't look like total shit. I don't even want curls jUST PUT THAT DAMN FRINGE BACK INTO SOME QUIFF THING PLZ I BEG.

React was pretty boring and I've never related to PJ as hard as during that video.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Sorry to quote my own quote,
I missed the editing window:
thephandommenace wrote:[Phil] even licked his lips at one point (during the chicken comment... #furrykinkconfirmed) (do chickens count as being in the furry fandom?)
Phil is turned on by avian wildlife, pass it on
lurker wrote:phil seems to have acquired an almost jennamarblesque lack of fucks to give
agreed and I love it