Dan & Phil Part 50: Should we kiss now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

lurker wrote:
obscureDnPreference wrote:What have they said about that week in March?
this:
autumnhearth wrote:Alternative suggestions to the boxes being gone but no side tables replacing them? I think a project is more likely.
i personally don't really think the boxes are significant, i'd just assumed that they decided they were ugly after all and removed them before getting something to put in their place.
or they're doing a huge crafting/animation project for which they needed boxes exactly this size and sacrifices had to be made.

i'll get suspicious though if they don't put anything in the gaming background any time soon. they complained a lot about it looking ugly in the old flat and now they live under the assumption that a wide, empty room behind them looks better? hmmmm :sideeye:
Anything other than that live show? Random tweets or off-handed comments?

(Sorry. Trying to catch up)
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

obscureDnPreference wrote:
lurker wrote:
this:

i don't think so, but i'll happily stand corrected. (it's two liveshows though -- both bits are in the video i linked.)
thank's you were great
onetruetrash
blobfish

I just realized that August 1st is also on a Tuesday. Man, I can't wait for that.
queerofcups
spork
Pronouns: they | them

000dia000 wrote: I do want to point out that I don't see them as being "ready" to put time into a final home. That is a personal opinion, and I know that some people do see as being emotionally mature enough to do so, but I'm not too confident that they are. They seem to be in a place where I can see them *planning* this kind of long term thing, but certainly not at the end of it. I feel that the maturity they have today was not the kind of maturity they had two years ago (when they would begin to talk about settling down) when Dan and only Dan was being comfortable enough to make male attraction mentions. It seems a bit of a stretch that he would see so far into the future to assume that he would be comfortable enough in a few years time to be living in a "forever home" with Phil. I don't think so. I think Dan (and Phil, for that matter) would be terrified about their future and unsure of how open they would be with their audience. The current relationship we have with them as audience and creator may not have been what they were thinking.
i recognize this is your opinion but like, on what grounds? you can take this same logic and argue that their increasing closeness/openness with us is a sign of their maturity/growth in comfort (though i strongly hesitate to draw any connections between their "maturity" and what they decide to share with us.

it seems more of a stretch to me to argue that two people that have been, according to my assumptions, together for nearly ten years, who've grown up together, who are getting older together aren't "ready" to buy a house. Especially two people in that situation who have more than the financial means to do so.
sparkle
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

onetruetrash wrote:I just realized that August 1st is also on a Tuesday. Man, I can't wait for that.
can we do a gofundme for YouNow money so we can send a joint IDB premium message in August?

(not from my account because every time D&P have pronounced my name they've pronounced it incorrectly and it infuriates me)
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

lurker wrote:
lurker wrote:
this:

i don't think so, but i'll happily stand corrected. (it's two liveshows though -- both bits are in the video i linked.)
Oh yeah two shows. My b. It sounds soooo mysterious.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
Whommel
sofa crease
Pronouns: They/them

sparkle wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:I just realized that August 1st is also on a Tuesday. Man, I can't wait for that.
can we do a gofundme for YouNow money so we can send a joint IDB premium message in August?

(not from my account because every time D&P have pronounced my name they've pronounced it incorrectly and it infuriates me)
I've been wondering what those things cost. And the kind of money it takes to be a top 10 fan. I'm scared to find out. [Edit: btw I'm in with a pound or two :) ]

Additionally:

Loved the video, but at the end when they only had ten lives I was so stressed out! But there were so many great moments, definitely one of my favourites.

Loved the 2018 dream, that was beautiful to read.

I'm ready to go full tin foil (but not so much that I'll be disappointed) just fun Nancy Drewing.
Last edited by Whommel on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
000dia000
emo goose

queerofcups wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
I do want to point out that I don't see them as being "ready" to put time into a final home. That is a personal opinion, and I know that some people do see as being emotionally mature enough to do so, but I'm not too confident that they are. They seem to be in a place where I can see them *planning* this kind of long term thing, but certainly not at the end of it. I feel that the maturity they have today was not the kind of maturity they had two years ago (when they would begin to talk about settling down) when Dan and only Dan was being comfortable enough to make male attraction mentions. It seems a bit of a stretch that he would see so far into the future to assume that he would be comfortable enough in a few years time to be living in a "forever home" with Phil. I don't think so. I think Dan (and Phil, for that matter) would be terrified about their future and unsure of how open they would be with their audience. The current relationship we have with them as audience and creator may not have been what they were thinking.
i recognize this is your opinion but like, on what grounds? you can take this same logic and argue that their increasing closeness/openness with us is a sign of their maturity/growth in comfort (though i strongly hesitate to draw any connections between their "maturity" and what they decide to share with us.

it seems more of a stretch to me to argue that two people that have been, according to my assumptions, together for nearly ten years, who've grown up together, who are getting older together aren't "ready" to buy a house. Especially two people in that situation who have more than the financial means to do so.
I like to make a point, in this case, that them planning for their future together also involves how they will appear to their audience. I feel that they the kind of comfort they have in front in their audience in something that has only really occurred (in my opinion) post tour. I feel as if this is point that I feel they would think about long-term commitments and carrying those out. I do not feel that Dan or Phil were in any way prepared or invested in preparing for moving/buying/building a house in the near future until AFTER this. Why? Like I said, they probably didn't know HOW they wanted to appear to their audience in the future or if they'll still be on YouTube. How were they to know? I'm not doubting their relationship, I'm merely doubting how "self-assured" people think they are. I don't think they've been planning on building/moving a house for years now. I feel as if they have only settled down or begun to settle down recently. I don't think it's in any way reasonable to assume they've been planning to build a house, unless it was very recently put into development, that was my main concern.

I think I have very reasonable grounds to say that people are jumping to conclusions, they're rich, yeah, but that doesn't change how design, renovating and planning permission works. I don't personally think that they are in such a perfect relationship that they have been planning out their dream home and dog for years now-their mentions have only suggested that this is only recently discussed. I think they flounder more, are kind of unsure of what to do, move from point to point and try to grow and figure themselves out. I don't see it likely that deppy are so settled and perfect in their relationship that people think they are, I think it's only something that has occurred quite recently.
:cactus:
sparkle
blobfish

Whommel wrote: I've been wondering what those things cost. And the kind of money it takes to be a top 10 fan. I'm scared to find out.
When I got read out (Halloween 2014) it was about £3 to be able to read out and I had bars left over which I thought was fair. Like I got to make myself laugh by having Dan read my message about the Blair Witch Project, which was worth the few quid I spent imo.

To be read out once now is like $10 minimum (its 2,000 bars which is $10 and you'll have about 500 left over - and thats assuming they choose your message) the top fans must be sinking about $60 EASILY per live show. If not more, especially whoever is #1.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote:I think I have very reasonable grounds to say that people are jumping to conclusions, they're rich, yeah, but that doesn't change how design, renovating and planning permission works. I don't personally think that they are in such a perfect relationship that they have been planning out their dream home and dog for years now-their mentions have only suggested that this is only recently discussed. I think they flounder more, are kind of unsure of what to do, move from point to point and try to grow and figure themselves out. I don't see it likely that deppy are so settled and perfect in their relationship that people think they are, I think it's only something that has occurred quite recently.
I feel like you're assuming people are dead set on this and not just speculating for fun, which is what most of us are doing. Why not jump to some conclusions that are nice to talk about? (Like the dream house etc.) It's not as though anyone's betting money on it or there are consequences for being wrong.

Though back to the actual topic: buying a house doesn't require years of planning or a perfect relationship. Within a relationship there are rarely if ever moments where the timing is actually perfect or people feel completely ready for something, you just have to understand when it feels more exciting than scary to move forward and then do it anyway. If they decided this time last year they were ready and then started house hunting parallel to shifting their onscreen demeanor... I mean, it's a very plausible timeline for me.
iwishiwasacasual
glabella

sparkle wrote:
Whommel wrote: I've been wondering what those things cost. And the kind of money it takes to be a top 10 fan. I'm scared to find out.
When I got read out (Halloween 2014) it was about £3 to be able to read out and I had bars left over which I thought was fair. Like I got to make myself laugh by having Dan read my message about the Blair Witch Project, which was worth the few quid I spent imo.

To be read out once now is like $10 minimum (its 2,000 bars which is $10 and you'll have about 500 left over - and thats assuming they choose your message) the top fans must be sinking about $60 EASILY per live show. If not more, especially whoever is #1.
just fucking reading that hurt my wallet. tabinof was a 3am shame purchase for me and i still feel guilty about it, i mean what ever floats your boat but spending that much money
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

iwishiwasacasual wrote:
sparkle wrote:

just fucking reading that hurt my wallet. tabinof was a 3am shame purchase for me and i still feel guilty about it, i mean what ever floats your boat but spending that much money
Screw premium messages. I don't know how I feel about spamming live show chats, but if enough people ask I feel like Dan would address it? I guess I've never commented on a live show, so I don't know how likely that is. He did tell us to ask though....
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

their crash bandicoot video was amazing omg. the bants were on point and phil swearing? sign me up bro. will probably end up watching that video again tbh. 10/10
:transheart:
onetruetrash
blobfish

iwishiwasacasual wrote:
sparkle wrote:

Screw premium messages. I don't know how I feel about spamming live show chats, but if enough people ask I feel like Dan would address it? I guess I've never commented on a live show, so I don't know how likely that is. He did tell us to ask though....
I'm sure the chat will be full of mentions of that week in March. I don't think we have anything to worry about.
uglyamerican
woodland creature

I haven't even watched it yet (GoT just ended,) but I' already zazzed for Dan's mouthiness. NGL, I have !respekt for swearing... ;) Sheer volume and creative use thereof earn bonus points.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ah, yes. The price of liveshow messages has returned as a conversation topic, which means the time is ripe! Fun fact: I once got very bored at work and decided I would try to calculate how much Dip and Dot earn from a YouNow show. Here's how I did my math, if you're nerdy like that (and also if you want to help contribute on making this more accurate that would be gr8):
First and foremost, I looked at the top fans to see what they're contributing over 30 days and what the average drop off is as you get lower on the list. It's a lot more messy now, but even then, that fan-over-fan decrease is roughly 8% average starting from Jotalina's ~16k. We'll note this for later.

I'm going to be extremely conservative in my assumptions here, so bear with me. We know that the average viewership before moving the LS to youtube was roughly 20-25k users. Since the move, it's dropped down to 10k and I think we can be a bit wary and say that only half of those will put money into the show. So like... let's say 5k people decide they want to tip/send a message/etc. (After all, they're watching on YouNow, rather than Youtube or Tumblr, for a reason, right?)

The lowest amount of bars you can contribute during a D or P liveshow is 200, I believe, so that'll be our threshold. (Again, all of this math is really shoddy, because there could be a plateau at any point where users either contribute a lot or nothing at all. I'm guesstimating at best.) This is where I BS and fudge my math a bit more. Split the top fans' contributions by 2 (because this is based off of Dan's numbers and he's done 2 liveshows in that period). From there, each of the top fans contribute on average 8% less as we go down the list until they're contributing 200 bars and then I assume everyone from there on out contributes a minimum 200. I'm doing this over those 5k people we assume are paying in. That math puts us at ~1 million bars per liveshow (I'm rounding down).

The most popular price for bars is $9.99 for 1,200. But like, let's be conservative again and pretend everyone pays $49.99 for 6,500. That means each liveshow earns ~$7,691. Take YouNow's 30% and that's ~$5,384 per live show.

I've said "conservative" about a million times here, but let me clarify just how conservative this is: I am not accounting for the possibility of there being a plateau of like 1,000 people that each give 2000 bars/show (and this is very likely, as a lot of people only put money in for messages and nothing else). I'm also not accounting for the majority of people that buy bars at a higher cost. D&P also have ups and downs. On a particularly dramatic week, they may have/answer more messages than usual.
So, that's where we're at. Each show earns them a minimum of $5,000 (probably). If anyone has a deeper math background than me (I'm no financial analyst and maybe Rachel Riley is secretly a phan) and can improve upon my nonsense, please do!

So, like.... They can, and should, buy a house at this point. #TeamMovingInAugust
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

Crash Bandicoot
Finally, I have something to watch at work that is not the Sims. It took me 2hrs to watch the whole video coz
1. It was sooo stressful. It was 3am when I finished watching it. 2. I laughed so hard every time Dan died. His attempt to control his temper was so funny.
3. Dan scolding Phil got annoying sometimes. If I was playing with him, I would have "accidentally" punched his face.

Crash Bandicoot, Harvest Moon and Sims were my top 3 PS2 games. I don't have PS4 so I was so happy that they played it on the DAPG. I remembered how fun and stressful that game was. I think that Dan didn't overdo the swearing this time. That game was really frustrating. But bleeping Phil's swearing was uncalled for. Phil's shit was nothing compared to Dan's f-bombs. I guess Phil's swearing will really be more noticeable.

(I fell asleep before I can even post this. Ugh.)

Moving Conspiracy
I am not fully convinced but it seems plausible. I do have some questions: Why will they announce the house on August? Or, will they announce their othee project which is more plausible btw? How long does it take to build a house? Assuming they started the build after the tour, will they have a Zalfie like mansion or a normal family home? I want to believe coz I want garden selfies.
boldmari
smol bean
Pronouns: she/they

rizzo wrote:Ah, yes. The price of liveshow messages has returned as a conversation topic, which means the time is ripe! Fun fact: I once got very bored at work and decided I would try to calculate how much Dip and Dot earn from a YouNow show. Here's how I did my math, if you're nerdy like that (and also if you want to help contribute on making this more accurate that would be gr8):
First and foremost, I looked at the top fans to see what they're contributing over 30 days and what the average drop off is as you get lower on the list. It's a lot more messy now, but even then, that fan-over-fan decrease is roughly 8% average starting from Jotalina's ~16k. We'll note this for later.

I'm going to be extremely conservative in my assumptions here, so bear with me. We know that the average viewership before moving the LS to youtube was roughly 20-25k users. Since the move, it's dropped down to 10k and I think we can be a bit wary and say that only half of those will put money into the show. So like... let's say 5k people decide they want to tip/send a message/etc. (After all, they're watching on YouNow, rather than Youtube or Tumblr, for a reason, right?)

The lowest amount of bars you can contribute during a D or P liveshow is 200, I believe, so that'll be our threshold. (Again, all of this math is really shoddy, because there could be a plateau at any point where users either contribute a lot or nothing at all. I'm guesstimating at best.) This is where I BS and fudge my math a bit more. Split the top fans' contributions by 2 (because this is based off of Dan's numbers and he's done 2 liveshows in that period). From there, each of the top fans contribute on average 8% less as we go down the list until they're contributing 200 bars and then I assume everyone from there on out contributes a minimum 200. I'm doing this over those 5k people we assume are paying in. That math puts us at ~1 million bars per liveshow (I'm rounding down).

The most popular price for bars is $9.99 for 1,200. But like, let's be conservative again and pretend everyone pays $49.99 for 6,500. That means each liveshow earns ~$7,691. Take YouNow's 30% and that's ~$5,384 per live show.

I've said "conservative" about a million times here, but let me clarify just how conservative this is: I am not accounting for the possibility of there being a plateau of like 1,000 people that each give 2000 bars/show (and this is very likely, as a lot of people only put money in for messages and nothing else). I'm also not accounting for the majority of people that buy bars at a higher cost. D&P also have ups and downs. On a particularly dramatic week, they may have/answer more messages than usual.
So, that's where we're at. Each show earns them a minimum of $5,000 (probably). If anyone has a deeper math background than me (I'm no financial analyst and maybe Rachel Riley is secretly a phan) and can improve upon my nonsense, please do!

So, like.... They can, and should, buy a house at this point. #TeamMovingInAugust
oh my god. this is so impressive, how long did it take you to do this?
i just have a question... what percentage of this goes directly to YouNow? is it actually 30%?
"I spent the majority of 2016 with another person..."
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

boldmari wrote: I'm going to be extremely conservative in my assumptions here, so bear with me. We know that the average viewership before moving the LS to youtube was roughly 20-25k users. Since the move, it's dropped down to 10k and I think we can be a bit wary and say that only half of those will put money into the show. So like... let's say 5k people decide they want to tip/send a message/etc. (After all, they're watching on YouNow, rather than Youtube or Tumblr, for a reason, right?)
Why did the viewership drop so much when they decided to do the co live shows with younow and yt?
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obscureDnPreference wrote:Why did the viewership drop so much when they decided to do the co live shows with younow and yt?
I can actually answer those, if rizzo doesn't mind me butting in. The 30% figure comes from this article from Penny Hoarder in 2015:
YouNow viewers earn digital “coins” by logging in and watching videos.They can use these coins to buy “bars” to tip creators. YouNow takes a cut of about 30% before sharing these tips with creators as real money.
And the drop off in views is only from the younow end; that represents the number of people who when given the choice between younow and youtube left the younow chat to watch it live in the youtube one. Those are presumably the people who have no interest in sending Dan and Phil bars or asking premiums and don't even care enough about interacting to want to be talking in the chat, but do still want to watch the liveshow. There are also probably a lot of people who feel confident they don't need to catch it live at all and just watch the playback on youtube later on, which is a total win/win for Dan and Phil because they're still getting paid that way since they'll make youtube ad revenue off of the view.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:
obscureDnPreference wrote:Why did the viewership drop so much when they decided to do the co live shows with younow and yt?
I can actually answer those, if rizzo doesn't mind me butting in. The 30% figure comes from this article from Penny Hoarder in 2015:
YouNow viewers earn digital “coins” by logging in and watching videos.They can use these coins to buy “bars” to tip creators. YouNow takes a cut of about 30% before sharing these tips with creators as real money.
And the drop off in views is only from the younow end; that represents the number of people who when given the choice between younow and youtube left the younow chat to watch it live in the youtube one. Those are presumably the people who have no interest in sending Dan and Phil bars or asking premiums and don't even care enough about interacting to want to be talking in the chat, but do still want to watch the liveshow. There are also probably a lot of people who feel confident they don't need to catch it live at all and just watch the playback on youtube later on, which is a total win/win for Dan and Phil because they're still getting paid that way since they'll make youtube ad revenue off of the view.
Got it. I was thinking that drop number was referring to total viewership and not just younow. But obviously the number was referring to profit from younow so it was just a lack of comprehension on my end. Oops!

I'm a yt live show viewer. Back in the day, I was a younower, but now I just find it so overwhelming with all of the chats and stickers and top fans etc.
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
Sinister Shipper
drama llama

I also used to watch on YouNow but it gets overwhelming with all the things popping up on screen from tips, to thumbs up, to things flying across the screen & plus the chat is crazy. The odds of getting noticed in the YN chat is highly unlikely unless he recognizes your name.

I used to spend money on bars but after seeing how much money people spend to get top notices is absolutely crazy. I'd much rather spend my money buying their merch than spending it on YN bars.
darque_red
banned

What if they did get married in Japan in 2015 and that 'difficult week in March' was when the Phan divorce was happening and August is when everything gets finalized

Edit: AND the reason this isn't a forever home is because it's just temporary until they figure out who gets what in the divorce
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Coming out of lurking to say hi and to point out that as much as I love the japan!wedding theory, Japan does not have legal gay marriage right now (some cities are allowing things like samesex partner registration but 1. I think that started happening after 2015? and 2. that wouldn't be of much use to dan&phil)

Though I suppose they could've gotten engaged or had their honeymoon there. But a phan wedding in Japan is impossible.

(I also just woke up after very little sleep so my English might still be a bit messy, sorry! Hi! Going back to lurking for a bit now! Nice to meet y'all :) )
bookfiend
spork
Pronouns: She/her

Crash Bandicoot I loved this video. My sister and I have been playing this over the last couple of weeks. Reminding us of the hours we spent as kids playing it. I feel Dan's pain. I swear so much playing this game, the gamer rage is real!
Also the "our mum" comment mother-in-law? Japhan marriage 2015 #confirmed.

Moving Theory I am so here for some conspiracy theories. While I agree that have not had enough time to build a house from scratch since their tour ended, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that they've been attempting to buy a house/bought a house and either the sale fell through in March or they've been delayed by renovations. Smaller extensions can be built in a matter of weeks but can easily be delayed by things like ground frost, too much ground water, snow etc. And internal renovations if you've got the cash to throw around and it's not too severe can be done very quickly.
Sorry I work in House Insurance and I deal with construction and renovation questions daily.
Moving into a 6 months lease which can be renewed should the house be set back again is logical if you have the money.

Plus I feel I should point out that they have really been dog baiting hard. And it's got worse since they moved. If there is a dog in their immediate future they would have to move again.

Edit: also Phil leaving to "visit family" two weeks in a row right after Florida. Might have been checking on the work or visiting the place whilst Dan held down the YouTube fort to distract the audience.
Sorry I'm going full tin hat now