Dan & Phil Part 52: And They Were Roommates

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dae
dank meme
Pronouns: They/them

Im gonna say it something about the whole august thing rubs me the wrong way the way dan speaks of it he says stuff like "I might or I may" tell you which wouldnt make sense if its a big project or something but at the same time its possible it is a big project but he didnt know when he was gonna be able to tell us about is just yet? Either way Im very curious as to if dan will do a liveshow tomorrow anyone got any theories?
"Accept that you don't really have to know everything and why"
jesuisunèléve
phabergé

He said no to an LS on the 8th but might pop in on Phil's this week.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

capybantsa wrote:Catfishing and especially celebrity catfishing sucks. I've known a few guys and girls who got tricked into sexting and some even sent pics or videos. All minors. I think the people responsible never got caught... :?
Don't send nude pics of yourself to people on the internet! Even if it's a real celebrity! Don't! :evil:
Unless you're a consenting adult and you don't mind the idea of those pictures getting leaked and a ton of people seeing them, in which case you do you ;)
(at least in the US) even taking a nude/suggestive photo while underage puts you at risk for being registers as a child sex offender as well as whoever you are sending it to. If you are underage, be smart! Don't take pictures of you naked!
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:(at least in the US) even taking a nude/suggestive photo while underage puts you at risk for being registers as a child sex offender as well as whoever you are sending it to. If you are underage, be smart! Don't take pictures of you naked!
That... Aren't those laws supposed to protect children from predators? This sounds like "In the end it turned out the child was the predator all along!"

:wtf:
autumnhearth
senpai

jesuisunèléve wrote:He said no to an LS on the 8th but might pop in on Phil's this week.
I saw the tweet that he might pop in, but where/when did he say no ls on the 8th?
leaveimreading
drama llama

missemma wrote:
leaveimreading wrote:EDIT: I'm out of the loop, what happened with the tabinof announcement that made people upset??
okay are you sitting down...I still remember the day the bour (this was a phrase people on gg made up which was a mixture of book/tour) announcement happened like it was yesterday.

Dan and Phil had been quiet all week (I had been on annual leave that week and was miffed they weren't tweeting) and then suddenly one evening Dan just uploaded a video titled '?' No tweet to go with it, no after tweet, nothing. The video was something not in D&Ps style, it was very different and people were quite confused. The video revealed the book and the tour which was put on sale the exact minute the video went up. I remember people - myself included - having so many questions and they stayed silent.

There were a lot of people who said they didn't agree with them doing a book (a lot of people called them sell outs which I don't agree with) and how could they do a tour. A lot of people didn't have the money for the tour tickets as there was no warning about any secret project, suddenly there was this tour and tickets for the m&g were expensive and people didn't have time to ask their parents etc for the money.

I think the reason they got backlash is because of their silence. They dropped this massive thing and it took them over 24 hours to say anything. Dan shows his twitter replies of people being excited in the making of tabinof video; but honestly a large portion of the phandom were angry and confused. It wasn't like them to make this overly produced video announcing something exciting and for them to not say anything. The next video they put out actually explained things so much better and the backlash kinda died down. I'm still convinced they put out the second video because of the anger, Dan looked petrified in it.

I still stand by the fact I think they went about the announcement the wrong way. Later on, when they released extra dates and also announced the tours in the other countries they at least gave notice, and gave people time to save up.
I actually really enjoyed reading this, thank you. This was right about the time I left the phantom for a while, so I never knew any of this happened. I see why people were annoyed, I certainly would have been. But at the same time, I agree with the fact that they can't really hype anything up without people thinking it's a coming out video, because that would just build up to dissapointment for some people. But surely there was another choice than to Beyoncé the whole thing. I hope they don't do that with whatever they're doing now. IF they're doing anything now.

"I might tell you, I might not" thing: sounds like dan trying to be sneaky with his words again. If there really is soemwthing happening, this sounds like the perfect Dan thing to say imo.
capybantsa
glabella
Pronouns: he/him

Surprising number of people didn't want to label him, but I guess this is what happens when the man himself refuses to label himself

Just under 82% of people who had an opinion to express about Dan's sexual orientation thought he was bi or pan, which hasn't changed much from the 78.4% of 2015. 96.5% of opinion havers thought he was generally not straight, compared to 83.4% from 2015.

One major difference now is that about 1.6x as many survey takers didn't give an opinion for one reason or another. "I prefer not to label him" wasn't an option last time, so it's possible people felt pressured to pick something before, but it's also possible that something about his behavior in the last couple years has made more people lean to not wanting to label him.

lowkey highkey waiting for Phil's to come out no pun intended

Yes: Down about 9%
No: Down about 1%
Partially: Up about 4%
Don't ship but have other thoughts: Up about 1%
Disagree/not comfortable: Up about 2.4%
Decline to answer: Down about 0.5%

It seems people are less sure about it, but not by a huge amount. 3.22% moved to the new "I don't have enough evidence to form an opinion" option. In total, people who responded "yes" or "partially" decreased from 84% to 79%. However, when you subtract those who didn't have or want to express an opinion, it only went down about 0.6% from 87.9ish to 87.3%

Those who said "no" or "no but I have other thoughts" (whatever that means) made a staggering decline from 11.6% to 11.5%, or an increase of about 0.5% from 12.2% to 12.7% when you take out those who didn't express an opinion.

A little over twice as many people didn't express an opinion this time, bringing that total up to 9.5%

For some reason 2017 for this question only adds up to 90.8%
I tried to do an analysis on it, but my soul hurt too much when I realized 9.2% was missing. WHERE IS THAT 9.2%?

So here's my analysis: The number of people who think D&P secretly hate each other has nearly tripled, what is the world coming to??
Awesomesauceness
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: She/her

capybantsa wrote:Catfishing and especially celebrity catfishing sucks. I've known a few guys and girls who got tricked into sexting and some even sent pics or videos. All minors. I think the people responsible never got caught... :?
Don't send nude pics of yourself to people on the internet! Even if it's a real celebrity! Don't! :evil:
Unless you're a consenting adult and you don't mind the idea of those pictures getting leaked and a ton of people seeing them, in which case you do you ;)

[offtopic]
Katka wrote:
I know this half-white and half-Chinese girl who used to go to school in China and she said she did get bullied by her classmates for looking white. That's horrible but I think the big difference is that whiteness is a privilege almost all around the world thanks to imperialism and colonialisation and that even though racism and xenophobia against white people can totally be a thing in non-white countries, it's not institutional like racism against people of colour in white western countries is. I have a very hard time putting this into words right now but I hope it makes sense. Like: Yes, other countries aren't discrimination free paradises at all but the difference is, once more, historical context. Given Japan's history with America or China's history with the British or the French it kind of makes sense they don't see white people in a very good light. I'm not trying to excuse any form of discrimination. Modern day white people aren't to blame for what their ancestors did (even though we still benefit from it, let's be real) and they shouldn't be subjected to discrimination based on being white but as always there's context.

On a personal level getting bullied in school in China because your mother is white is horrible and it just shouldn't happen. But the reasons racism against white people exists in places like China or Japan are different from the reasons it exists in the Western world. Like, racism against white people in East Asia mostly stems from the shit white people pulled over there during the colonial era whilst racism against people of colour in Europe and America developed because majorities wanted to keep minorities down. This is not an excuse for any kind of discrimination but I think it's something we need to keep in mind when we're discussing stuff like this. Also let's not forget that white people aren't the only people that could face racism in East Asia. China has a big problem with racism against black people for instance, against the Japanese (mostly to do with the Japanese war crimes as someone else has already pointed out) and against other ethnicities too. Non-white people are absolutely capable of being racist (even though Tumblr likes to pretend they're not) and it's an issue.

Me, literally every time: "I'm just going to write a short answer! Not some long serious post this time, nah, I don't even have time to... whoops"
Reading this is really bizarre. It's like a historical fiction. Is this a common way of viewing the world, or is it just you? Either way let me clear some things up:

Japan has a generally very positive relationship with America despite some occasional misgivings, and although I'm not super involved in Chinese culture it would seem that the Chinese are generally fine with the French and British. Local regional politics are much more important, those western countries are just exotic far off lands you might go on vacation to or something.

The reason people here treat whites poorly is the same as every other race: Because they're different. That's really all there is to it. White people aren't special. There is no white privilege here. Well, maybe if you consider being treated like an exotic beauty to be a privilege.

I guess this might not be the case where you're from(?), but people in this part of the world don't just discriminate by race, but also by culture/country. If you hate the French it might be the French race, or it might be the French culture. If it's the French race, you wouldn't hate non-French whites. If it's the French culture, you would hate all races of people from France, not just the whites.

I'm not trying to be mean, but please, if you respect us then please stop looking at Asia as if it's basically just an Asiany version of your own culture. It's really not.
[/offtopic]
[Hide=]Coming from Mainland China I can say that it's pretty much true. (Although I can't speak for other regions of China because it's so diverse). I went to a Chinese public school with non-Asian (appearance wise) people, and they would either be bullied or seen as some sort of cool specimen, just because they're different. And while the older generation do have some grudges against Japan or Western countries for crimes in the past, or maybe shaky diplomatic relations now, I don't think it's a factor in kids bullying other kids for being white. I don't think people here think a lot about countries or people they barely have contact with, and even if they do a white person (or other non Asian person) walking down a street would probably just attract curiosity, not hate for crimes no one except old people remembers. People who are different races (or different ethnicities if you look not-typically Han Chinese) get discriminated against simply because they're different, as would someone who was very very tall, or who didn't fit in with mainstream culture or was a bit eccentric. But of course if you think it's different I'd love to hear why you think so! Also I saw the discussion on Dan mentioning monolids and stuff, I honestly didn't think much about it until it was pointed out. I didn't think it was racist in any way? I guess it might be a bit upsetting to some to joke about small eyes, but a lot of people here say jokes like "Don't close your eyes again when I'm taking a picture" (because when some Asians smile their eyes completely "disappear"). Could someone explain why it's considered offensive? Did any other Asians (or people with monolids) feel that way? [/Hide]

Idk if this is kinda a controversial opinion, but maybe people would think that because they moved AND didn't confirm they were together meant that they might really just be best buds? Dunno if that makes sense haha but I just had the thought. ( ´∀`)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

RE: Phan Survey Stats

Disclaimer: I'll be the party pooper with the quantitative methods postgraduate degree.

The problem with cross-sectional studies like this one is that you cannot track how people's opinion changed. To be able to make this connection you'd need a panel survey, i.e. asking the same people again and tracking their individual changes. Alternatively, if you still want comparison and you have a generally similar sample, you would need to make sure to use the same questions and answer options. By adding answer items, you remove any possibility for comparison, e.g. adding the "prefer not to label him" option to the Dan's sexuality question. Additionally, that question is struggling with the social desirability bias and the "prefer not to label" answer is very socially desirable so it's only logical a lot of people chose that.

One thing that I don't see as an issue with the survey is sample size and significance; since the numbers are rather large it's likely that bigger changes in percentage points are statistically siginificant. But once again, that would only make sense if the questions are identical.

So overall, while I love the idea of the survey and how much effort they put in to give it the best possible answer items, we need to be careful making assumptions on how the phandom's view changed based on this cross-sectional design.

(And regarding the "secretly hate each other" - I think it might have attracted the trolls.)
plath
sofa crease

riperoni wrote:
liola wrote:I'm actually quite surprised by how many people think they're platonic, I have to say it. Mostly because the survey is anonymous so everyone could indulge into their shipping side without feeling judged.

It's pretty interesting!
people might feel pressure in certain fandom circles to ship them,

that or shippers are just a more visible/ vocal group
I can only speak for myself, but I sometimes feel kind of uncomfortable talking about how I don't ship Dan and Phil. Even if you're polite and respectful, it can sometimes make you a target for some hostility.

There's also a lot of discussion I can't naturally participate in because it's all predicated on the notion that they're together (which is fine btw, shipping discourse doesn't bother me and I don't need to be included in everything). There may be other non-shippers like me out there who are just a bit quieter.
nope.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

plath wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I sometimes feel kind of uncomfortable talking about how I don't ship Dan and Phil. Even if you're polite and respectful, it can sometimes make you a target for some hostility.
I agree. I see a lot of "How can people still believe they're not together?" and it does make me uncomfortable talking about not shipping deppy. You're usually forced to explain yourself and why you don't think they're together in detail. IDB is a bit like a safe haven because like 99% of people on here are super respectful shippers and don't attack you for not shipping it but sadly that's not true for most of the phandom. Like, it's really not fun being called homophobic by fourteen year olds for not shipping phan but that's the stuff that goes down on Tumblr for example. :?

capybantsa:
[offtopic]
Okay, there was literally no reason for you to come for me like that, but whatever. No, it’s not “historical fiction” and no, it’s not “just me”. I didn’t say there was any kind of blatant anti-British resentment (for example) in China TODAY, I was talking about historical developments that still influence societies and cultures until this day. I don’t want to go into this in depth because this is not the place for that at all but do you really believe that imperialism didn’t have any lasting consequences? That Britain’s long rule over parts of China (for example), the opium wars, all of that doesn’t have anything to do with what China and its relations to other parts of the world are like today? Dude, I wish it wasn't so but even though it's of course not on every single person's mind 24/7 it's still something that had and still has lasting effects.

I agree that of course a big factor for racism developing anywhere in the world is othering and hating someone for being different but if you think that’s the only reason racist agendas were ever pushed in history then please think again. I mean, I was obviously not saying there is blatant racism against the British (for example) in particular in China today or that white people get mocked or even discriminated against in China today as a direct result of imperialism and nothing else. I was saying that the long history of imperialism and oppression has left its ugly mark and that it plays a part in how white people are perceived in non-white countries and you honestly just can’t argue that this isn’t true or “historical fiction”. But no, of course it's not the only reason and I never meant to say that. It plays its part though.
capybantsa wrote:I'm not trying to be mean, but please, if you respect us then please stop looking at Asia as if it's basically just an Asiany version of your own culture. It's really not.
Yeah, that was exactly what I was trying to do though. I mean, I even said that the reasons racism exists in, say, China are way different from why it exists in the Western world so how was I applying Western standards to Asia again?

I’ve also made it pretty clear before that I’m part Chinese so I don’t see why you’re talking to me like I’m some random white person but maybe you didn’t see that. I know my experiences growing up mixed race in central Europe and the UK are different from those of someone growing up Japanese in Japan (for example) and I do try to keep that in mind whenever I talk about stuff like this. But I honestly don’t see what you’re getting at with the “Asian people don’t discriminate because of race alone”. Racism against black people for example is totally a thing in China, if you like it or not and it is based on peoples’ race (or more like their skin colour), not their country of origin. Of course people can also discriminate by country of origin or ethnicity. That’s xenophobia and it’s pretty rampant in the UK as well but that’s beside the point.

I don’t know, I feel like you completely misunderstood what I was even saying and I’m not sure if I phrased it wrong or whatever but I hope my points are a bit clearer now. If you don’t agree that’s fine but please don’t pretend like I’m some kind of idiot who doesn’t know shit.

If you want to continue this discussion maybe we should move it to that other thread or to PMs though, I don't think it belongs in this thread.
[/offtopic]
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

I find it weird cause they don't usually tweet until like nighttime in UK. Think they realize that the Phandom is getting restless?
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
citizen_erased
truth bomb

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: I find it weird cause they don't usually tweet until like nighttime in UK. Think they realize that the Phandom is getting restless?
nah I think he just had a thought about granola while getting breakfast (probably granola).
malday
emo goose

plath wrote:
riperoni wrote:
liola wrote:I'm actually quite surprised by how many people think they're platonic, I have to say it. Mostly because the survey is anonymous so everyone could indulge into their shipping side without feeling judged.

It's pretty interesting!
people might feel pressure in certain fandom circles to ship them,

that or shippers are just a more visible/ vocal group
I can only speak for myself, but I sometimes feel kind of uncomfortable talking about how I don't ship Dan and Phil. Even if you're polite and respectful, it can sometimes make you a target for some hostility.

There's also a lot of discussion I can't naturally participate in because it's all predicated on the notion that they're together (which is fine btw, shipping discourse doesn't bother me and I don't need to be included in everything). There may be other non-shippers like me out there who are just a bit quieter.
But there is a difference between shipping and believing they are a couple (the survey illustrated that). There are people who think they are together but don't consider themselves shippers, and conversely there are shippers who don't really think they are together.
anime_is_not_cool
living flop

They better announce something today because I'm so tired of waiting! (It also doesn't help that my favourite band is excepted to release their new album soon, after 8 years since the last one, and in the last few days people have started going crazy with the rumours. Please, anyone, just do SOMETHING!!! ) The last time we knew where they were and why was almost 5 days ago, and it's been 3 days since Dan's water tweets, which could have easily happened any time after their move, and he just now used the story. Did they they always feel this distant before tat/binof or during the rehearsals? I remember their tweets being way more robotic back then, so it could be that I've just gotten used to their travel pics and tweets with content and updates sometimes. w h a t a r e y o u p l a n n i n g b o i s
plath
sofa crease

Katka wrote:
plath wrote:I can only speak for myself, but I sometimes feel kind of uncomfortable talking about how I don't ship Dan and Phil. Even if you're polite and respectful, it can sometimes make you a target for some hostility.
I agree. I see a lot of "How can people still believe they're not together?" and it does make me uncomfortable talking about not shipping deppy. You're usually forced to explain yourself and why you don't think they're together in detail. IDB is a bit like a safe haven because like 99% of people on here are super respectful shippers and don't attack you for not shipping it but sadly that's not true for most of the phandom. Like, it's really not fun being called homophobic by fourteen year olds for not shipping phan but that's the stuff that goes down on Tumblr for example. :?
Yes, this exactly is what I was thinking of. I don't engage with the tumblr/twitter fandom at all anymore because I'm Old and I'm Tired and my gay ass has no time for being called homophobic by angry teens on the internet lol. I much prefer IDB where there's none of that nonsense.
malday wrote: But there is a difference between shipping and believing they are a couple (the survey illustrated that). There are people who think they are together but don't consider themselves shippers, and conversely there are shippers who don't really think they are together.
Okay, have I been using those terms incorrectly? I'm a bit confused lol. By shippers I mean people who think that Dan and Phil are a couple. I don't believe they're a couple, so I've been calling myself a non-shipper - is that wrong?
nope.
sparkle
blobfish

re the survey: *puts on sociology hat*

if we want to compare isn't it better to remove 'missing values' and then compare with what is left. So with Dans sexuality from 'gay, straight, queer, bi, pan, ace, no label, not enough info, don't care, no answer, other' we can be left with 'gay, straight, queer, bi, pan, ace' (which could arguably be further reduced - into straight, ace, bi/pan/queer)

Surprised by platonic best buds being higher than them being together - I wonder what the correlations are like on that? Like with age/sexuality/gender/country of origin/do you ship it. Especially as I took the move etc to be an indication that they're together. (just sayin')

The thing that annoys me most about this survey is that there are options that fragment the answers - I wish with the 'what do you think their relationship is' the question had been split up into 'together at any point, friends always, don't care' and then from that we got the 'recently together/together once/always together' etc. (maybe thats just how my brain works though but I would infinitely prefer to be looking at that)

I never thought i'd want raw data and SPSS but here we are.... Dan and Phil really do make me want to torture myself

also please can we have a video today - its 8th August and we still don't know what you did in March
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
thatdanandphilguy
dank meme

Thanks to everyone who clarified the moving theory! I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it. I’m sure the thing about that week in march was only about whatever secret project they (or just Dan? Phil hasn’t said anything about it as far as I am aware, but they do quite often say I even when they’ve been together) are working on, but still another move could possibly be coming up. I’m on the fence about it, because to me them putting up the soundproof things does seem like they're about to stay in that place for a longer time, but the cardboard boxes in the gaming room… They were removed because someone mentioned them to Phil on a liveshow, but why didn’t they get sidetables? Did they just not see decorating the background of the gaming room as something necessary since it doesn’t really bring any extra value to their videos or did they not want to buy any extra furniture they soon might not need?

I’m also curious about all their knick knacks being nowhere to be seen. It could be that they’ve literally just wanted to move towards more minimalist look in their apartment or maybe the things are placed on angles where we just don’t see. I do have a ”theory” that since Phil got the smaller bedroom, the downstairs lounge could be more like ”Phil’s space”. So maybe most of the figures and other things are there and it’s kind of like an extension of Phil’s room, while the upstairs lounge is more minimalist which seems to be what Dan likes.

I’m curious about what they’re working on, it’s probably nothing that has any affect on me, but I still want to know! The announcement will probably come pretty soon, possibly not this week yet but in few weeks at least.
citizen_erased wrote:
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: I find it weird cause they don't usually tweet until like nighttime in UK. Think they realize that the Phandom is getting restless?
nah I think he just had a thought about granola while getting breakfast (probably granola).
This really cracked me up because it's just sums up the phandom so perfectly! We're always trying to find some meaning in the smallest things, when sometimes, probably quite often, it literally is just Phil eating granola and coming up with an idea for a tweet.
apathy
sad dimple

plath wrote: Okay, have I been using those terms incorrectly? I'm a bit confused lol. By shippers I mean people who think that Dan and Phil are a couple. I don't believe they're a couple, so I've been calling myself a non-shipper - is that wrong?
This is the biggest problem with the survey question - shipping definitions vary wildly, including, but not limited to:
- Believing they are together
- wanting them to be together (optionally: but knowing they're not)
- participating in shippy speculation/fiction/art/etc
- being supportive of them if they were together

Dan's own definition is "liking the idea of two people being in a relationship" which is fairly broad. But generally, shipping is not related to whether you think it's "canon" for fiction, and probably shouldn't be linked to your opinions on reality either. But with no defintion on the survey, we really have no idea what the answers mean, only how people label themselves on their own scale.

So if the accusing tumblr users are going by the idea of "I don't ship it" meaning "I do not like the idea of them being a couple (and wouldn't support them together, maybe)", that's probably where the disconnect comes in, although they still shouldn't be throwing accusations based on only that.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

thatdanandphilguy wrote:
citizen_erased wrote:
This really cracked me up because it's just sums up the phandom so perfectly! We're always trying to find some meaning in the smallest things, when sometimes, probably quite often, it literally is just Phil eating granola and coming up with an idea for a tweet.
Personally, I'm a big fan of the motto 'sometimes a tweet is just a tweet'.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

thatdanandphilguy wrote:I’m also curious about all their knick knacks being nowhere to be seen. It could be that they’ve literally just wanted to move towards more minimalist look in their apartment or maybe the things are placed on angles where we just don’t see. I do have a ”theory” that since Phil got the smaller bedroom, the downstairs lounge could be more like ”Phil’s space”. So maybe most of the figures and other things are there and it’s kind of like an extension of Phil’s room, while the upstairs lounge is more minimalist which seems to be what Dan likes.
The lack of knick-knacks is actually what I find the most "suspicious" in this situation. I know they have #somuchstorage now, and there's probably a lot that we don't see, but it still seems a bit odd. For example, the AmazingPhil set up looks similar to Phil's old room, but apart from the sheets and the Howl's Moving Castle art on the wall, everything is new. The knick-knacks on the dresser (or w/e it's called) are like mock-ups of the ones in the old room: they look similar and you probably didn't notice them being different on the first glance (I didn't), but they aren't the same. I also don't believe for a second that Dan would give up his GW2 shrine. Where did all the stuff go? Is the moon room a set up as well as the AmazingPhil room? Do they have a secret floor they haven't even mentioned us? Did the people that rented a storage for their fan gifts so that they wouldn't need to throw them away somehow get emotionally unattached to their old stuff? Do they already have a house where all the old stuff is? Did Janice have pregnancy cravings for Phil's knick-knacks?

WhAT is HaPPeninG? WheRe is eVERytHiNg?

As for the lounge situation, iirc, Dan mused in his first solo ls in the new place that maybe they could now both have have their own lounges so that they could play different games at the same time or something.

I'm sorry, it must be the heat.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

sparkle wrote:The thing that annoys me most about this survey is that there are options that fragment the answers - I wish with the 'what do you think their relationship is' the question had been split up into 'together at any point, friends always, don't care' and then from that we got the 'recently together/together once/always together' etc. (maybe thats just how my brain works though but I would infinitely prefer to be looking at that)

I never thought i'd want raw data and SPSS but here we are.... Dan and Phil really do make me want to torture myself
[offtopic]Do you want to be my best friend? I'll do the SPSS if you do the discussion[/offtopic]

Errmm.. On topic! It's LS day and they got a somewhat joint LS announced for Thursday. I can't help but be a little bit excited if there might be something coming today.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

lmao i read that tweet and was genuinely taken aback by the level of roboticness (not a word). i mean, i concur, granola is incredible but also like,,, what are they up to omg

maybe we're all just talking ourselves into thinking their relative silence over the past few days (beyond a few banal tweets) is a sign that they're about to announce a new project, but damn if i haven't convinced myself something's up...
plath
sofa crease

apathy wrote:
plath wrote: Okay, have I been using those terms incorrectly? I'm a bit confused lol. By shippers I mean people who think that Dan and Phil are a couple. I don't believe they're a couple, so I've been calling myself a non-shipper - is that wrong?
This is the biggest problem with the survey question - shipping definitions vary wildly, including, but not limited to:
- Believing they are together
- wanting them to be together (optionally: but knowing they're not)
- participating in shippy speculation/fiction/art/etc
- being supportive of them if they were together

Dan's own definition is "liking the idea of two people being in a relationship" which is fairly broad. But generally, shipping is not related to whether you think it's "canon" for fiction, and probably shouldn't be linked to your opinions on reality either. But with no defintion on the survey, we really have no idea what the answers mean, only how people label themselves on their own scale.

So if the accusing tumblr users are going by the idea of "I don't ship it" meaning "I do not like the idea of them being a couple (and wouldn't support them together, maybe)", that's probably where the disconnect comes in, although they still shouldn't be throwing accusations based on only that.
Oh, that's really interesting! Thanks so much for explaining, I had no idea. That actually does make a lot more sense now!
nope.
Awesomesauceness
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: She/her

I don't know if this question sounds a bit stupid, but in the case of dan and phil, is not believing in them being together and still participating in fanart and fanfics still shipping? I guess in other fandoms you know the two people p much aren't together. Also, another question, if one does believe that they are together, wouldn't speculation/fanart/fanfics be an invasion of privacy, because to that person they would technically be writing/creating/speculating about an actual relationship?

Sorry if these are super naive questions but I've never really been in many fandoms before and for sure never encountered something like the phandom so I'm insanely curious.

Hmm... I'm definitely a graNOla person. Anyone else a graNOla person? Imo it tastes strange and is so expensive!

I feel like I'm hyped up about the announcement now, despite trying so hard not to get my expectations up. Please don't disappoint me guys.

(And if it's really (knock on wood) just all hype I will be really sad. Like eat 20 Oreos sad)