Dan & Phil Part 53: another two months

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm
malday wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:36 pm
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am So, moving on, you're all being honest right? Because I'm getting answers that are a little too mature.... But maybe that's just me.
Why are you even rating people's answers like that in the first place? What kind of answers were you expecting?
Do you have a preconceived image of this place?
My point is that the majority of answers here are scarily similar. I was hoping to see more diversity, especially since my questions seem to have brought out the lurkers + younger crowd. It doesn't matter what the content of the answers are - just how many people repeat them. I say they're too mature because it feels like people are holding back on both sides, as in they could go on about hating phan or demonly shipping phan and it wouldn't make a difference to me, just the fact that people aren't doing that. They just seem very... passive and neutral in genereal.
Well, uh, sorry that the opinions here are disappointing you? It's pretty unfair that you just assume people aren't honest and make statements like "Honesty honesty honesty" like a mom scolding us.

Your post makes it seem like you tried to conduct research on diversity of replies, but why? Are responses more valid if they are extreme? It's nice that you are asking questions, especially when there's a lack of content anyways, but don't judge people if you don't like how they answer. It's likely that people here have a similar opinion, which is why we like it in this little corner of the phandom.
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am cringe a bit from the overuse of odd nicknames in the list
:lol: of all the things to get annoyed about....
Please don't laugh at my opinion. They are grown man and I wouldn't want my partner (who's the same age) to be called names like Dantru and Phollum or Danetrius and Philesphical. That's just a bit much in my opinion.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

New questions...

1. Dan can say or not say what he likes and I think he's already said as much as he wants to.

2. They won't post a photo kissing, never have and I'd be very surprised by it. I also would keep watching them as I only discovered the mystery through people commenting on about how they looked at other; it isn't why I'm here. Fetishising by teen girls? Assuming I've got the meaning of that right, as opposed to any other type of phandom person thinking they'd make a cute couple?

I'm fed up of hearing about how creepy it is for women over a certain age being attracted to younger men (I had no interest in Twilight, but thought they were all adult actors even if they were playing older kids). There are adults of different ages in relationships all over the world. I find it gross that The Sun newspaper has page 3 with a photo of a nude woman meant for gawping and perpetuating women as objects, but finding a man attractive and writing fiction or drawing them... that happens and fandom has been around since at least Star Trek in the 60s. Older people built fandom. There are two long tumblr threads that came up recently about it, it seems to be week for it. I get that opinions differ, I used to feel quite bothered about some of the fic and art about two real people, I found it invasive and I'm still not sure I want to write it despite having some ideas and writing having been my lifelong hobby until the spark went out. Rpf-ship or not, a fictional story is not promoting the same subject in reality.
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:42 pm
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:03 pm
malday wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:36 pm
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:46 am So, moving on, you're all being honest right? Because I'm getting answers that are a little too mature.... But maybe that's just me.
Why are you even rating people's answers like that in the first place? What kind of answers were you expecting?
Do you have a preconceived image of this place?
My point is that the majority of answers here are scarily similar. I was hoping to see more diversity, especially since my questions seem to have brought out the lurkers + younger crowd. It doesn't matter what the content of the answers are - just how many people repeat them. I say they're too mature because it feels like people are holding back on both sides, as in they could go on about hating phan or demonly shipping phan and it wouldn't make a difference to me, just the fact that people aren't doing that. They just seem very... passive and neutral in genereal.
Well, uh, sorry that the opinions here are disappointing you? It's pretty unfair that you just assume people aren't honest and make statements like "Honesty honesty honesty" like a mom scolding us.

Your post makes it seem like you tried to conduct research on diversity of replies, but why? Are responses more valid if they are extreme? It's nice that you are asking questions, especially when there's a lack of content anyways, but don't judge people if you don't like how they answer. It's likely that people here have a similar opinion, which is why we like it in this little corner of the phandom.
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:27 am
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 am cringe a bit from the overuse of odd nicknames in the list
:lol: of all the things to get annoyed about....
Please don't laugh at my opinion. They are grown man and I wouldn't want my partner (who's the same age) to be called names like Dantru and Phollum or Danetrius and Philesphical. That's just a bit much in my opinion.
Firstly, I have no interest in conducting research and I don't see how you ever got that impression. This is all in good fun and I'm not even judging anyone?! Not everything is so serious, I was only teasing. I don't know why you're so defensive either, when I've said time and time again how I like this forum + other people have expressed the same sentiment about there being something akin to a hivemind on here multiple times.

And I laughed because that's what you do when people are being rude and you don't want to give into them. You made an unnecessarily rude comment about me just giving them weird names for fun, which is what everyone else does on this forum. I mean, sorry, my inoffensive humour made you 'cringe', does that mean you have to give this uber serious opinion about it? Especially when everyone is enjoying the questions asked which makes it look like you're just being a bit petty.

EDIT: No more questions from me then, I always upset people on here :cry:
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
confusedpanda
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: Her/she

fancybum wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm I'm not too clear on how a criticism thread is supposed to work without weirdly splitting the conversation? Like each video, each liveshow, brings up criticism, new merch brings up criticism- the main thread is for everything, currently on-topic or not, so current criticism tends to go there. Are people supposed to save anything remotely negative for the other thread? Say they bring out new Japan merch next week, where's the conversation supposed to happen when a good chunk of it would be critical..? It would just result in mostly identical conversations happening at the same time in two threads. Unless the criticism thread is supposed to be like 'this is what I always have and always will dislike about them regardless of any developing current events'..?
I was thinking this too? Like as a whole this forum is highly critical of things they do, which is a good thing. It's something I really admire about idb. It's not like tumblr or twitter when deps rarely get critiqued for things. And I've honestly learned so much from others opinions and views because of posts here in the main thread. To separate criticism from the main thread, it wouldn't be the same. It's what makes idb what it is, people who like deps having different thoughts and opinions on them but coming together to make a big conversation about those different thoughts and opinions.
So basicaly this is my thought on a separate thread:
We're here, we're queer, we're filled with existential fear!
gif cred: pseudophan on tumblr
archived
drama llama
Pronouns: dying

fancybum wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm I'm not too clear on how a criticism thread is supposed to work without weirdly splitting the conversation? Like each video, each liveshow, brings up criticism, new merch brings up criticism- the main thread is for everything, currently on-topic or not, so current criticism tends to go there. Are people supposed to save anything remotely negative for the other thread? Say they bring out new Japan merch next week, where's the conversation supposed to happen when a good chunk of it would be critical..? It would just result in mostly identical conversations happening at the same time in two threads. Unless the criticism thread is supposed to be like 'this is what I always have and always will dislike about them regardless of any developing current events'..?
I think it would be for more general criticism. I agree that current criticism (eg talking about their latest videos) or major issues surrounding D&P should be posted here on the main forum. But more general stuff, such as their content as a whole or recurring things that are discussed on here such as gaybaiting. So basically, the discussion on here could stay uptodate because anything people dislike about D&P that doesn't completely relate to just their latest content could be discussed on there. I'm bad at explaining stuff sorry.
sorry if I come off a bit wanky

... but I'm probably right you know
archived
drama llama

confusedpanda wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:53 pm
fancybum wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:33 pm
I'm not too clear on how a criticism thread is supposed to work without weirdly splitting the conversation? Like each video, each liveshow, brings up criticism, new merch brings up criticism- the main thread is for everything, currently on-topic or not, so current criticism tends to go there. Are people supposed to save anything remotely negative for the other thread? Say they bring out new Japan merch next week, where's the conversation supposed to happen when a good chunk of it would be critical..? It would just result in mostly identical conversations happening at the same time in two threads. Unless the criticism thread is supposed to be like 'this is what I always have and always will dislike about them regardless of any developing current events'..?
I was thinking this too? Like as a whole this forum is highly critical of things they do, which is a good thing. It's something I really admire about idb. It's not like tumblr or twitter when deps rarely get critiqued for things. And I've honestly learned so much from others opinions and views because of posts here in the main thread. To separate criticism from the main thread, it wouldn't be the same. It's what makes idb what it is, people who like deps having different thoughts and opinions on them but coming together to make a big conversation about those different thoughts and opinions.
Now I don't entirely understand how tumblr or twitter work but they are quite different from forums and it is much harder to have discussion on there. I would have to greatly disagree that this site is highly critical. A criticism thread would not take current criticism away from this thread (eg thoughts on latest video/tweet etc) but rather points that we regularly bring up on here which kind of block the conversation? Lmao I'm not entirely in favour of a criticism thread but I think people are getting the wrong idea of what is suggested.

citizen_erased
truth bomb

gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm EDIT: No more questions from me then, I always upset people on here :cry:
Lots of people enjoyed what you did, you know :) just look at the last several (!) pages of people answering your questions. I haven't seen this thread move this fast all week.
goingbackto505
*editing tips*

maybe some kind of 'suggestions' thread? like, 'what type of videos would you want to see from Dan and Phil', both on the DAPG and on their separate channels. just in case they somehow end up reading it (honestly, I'd much prefer if they didn't for the most part, but at the same time.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) some actual reasonable and constructive feedback wouldn't hurt them from time to time, they rarely get it in their comment sections from what I've seen :roll:

and autumnhearth , you're welcome :) I've seen that fanart and it's honestly so gorgeous, Phil definitely appreciates it very much since he also liked it on twitter :')

I'm personally glad that gohomohowell brought up so many interesting discussions, especially while DnP don't upload anything, so please, don't feel discouraged! and I also think I could say more things about 'demon phannies' and the phandom overall, but I decided against it. my opinions won't change anything anyway. like I've said though, the phandom can be very entitled, toxic, demanding and yes, over-sexualizing and fetishizing of the guys makes me uncomfortable, but what can I do. that's the one thing I wish they would address, but they never will.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

My opinion (as a forum user, not a mod) is that the main thread is for Dan and Phil discussion - all Dan and Phil discussion. Not just new stuff, not just positive stuff, not just critical stuff - all things Dan and Phil. If it's still about them, it's not off topic and it's not blocking the thread.

And I think that discussion is at its healthiest when both sides are being represented, so I'd really hate to see a separate thread for criticism. There are definitely people who want to mostly just be critical that probably get some good out of being grounded by positive opinions, and some people who really prefer to be positive who are grounded by still being aware of the negatives. If the people who mostly like negative stuff had the option of never seeing positives it could get sour fast and stay that way, and if the people who mostly like positive stuff had the option of never seeing negatives it would be way too full of ass-kissing and circlejerk type praise. Frankly, neither of those interests me. What I want is to see both sides coming together and discussing things together, which has always happened in the main thread.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Omg this thread moves fast, amazing. gohomohowell

[Offtopic] is it offtopic? idk
Regarding the criticism thread, is it sort of like a bashing thread? Where you can write opinions (mainly negative) but not get defensive or offended by them? Something like that already exists in a kpop forum and, frankly, is a disaster. But because no one can get offended or defensive, then you can honestly debate and give constructive criticism without anyone coming for your head. Although it's not the case here, everyone is mostly open-minded, so I don't think it's necessary.

I just wanted to say this, it's not really contributing much. :roll: [/Offtopic]

More on topic: I think we are getting that slime video today, my AP-video-senses are tingling. If not, maybe gaming?
Also, PS: the golf video is not doing so well, view-wise. The majority of the fandom was all over them, begging for another golf but the views leave much to be desired. So, what's up?
Last edited by yellowsubmarine on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
flarequake
not an airport stalker

gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm
Firstly, I have no interest in conducting research and I don't see how you ever got that impression. This is all in good fun and I'm not even judging anyone?! Not everything is so serious, I was only teasing. I don't know why you're so defensive either, when I've said time and time again how I like this forum + other people have expressed the same sentiment about there being something akin to a hivemind on here multiple times.
I also thought it looked like you were doing a quick round-up of answers to form a conclusion. It didn't look serious, but the "honesty honesty" bit did sound finger-wagging in a jokey way. If it read differently to someone and they felt defensive, then the reasons they gave are why. I don't think there's a hivemind, I think there might be a few things behind people seeming to agree a lot on some things, though I'm sure I see someone chiming in with quite a different opinion quite often each time there's a discussion. I think some of it might be keeping the peace e.g. agreeing to disagree, or just staying quiet for fear of upsetting people. Also once more opinions have been shared, people see other points of view they hadn't considered before and maybe sometimes end up changing their mind.
gohomohowell wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:48 pm And I laughed because that's what you do when people are being rude and you don't want to give into them. You made an unnecessarily rude comment about me just giving them weird names for fun, which is what everyone else does on this forum. I mean, sorry, my inoffensive humour made you 'cringe', does that mean you have to give this uber serious opinion about it? Especially when everyone is enjoying the questions asked which makes it look like you're just being a bit petty.

EDIT: No more questions from me then, I always upset people on here :cry:
I thought LtrllySusan had a point and made it with no rudeness at all; she said she wasn't comfortable. Laughing at or teasing someone isn't going to just be shaken off by everyone. Any of us is allowed to cringe at anything, putting it in quotation marks just makes it look like their opinion isn't considered real. Tone of voice is huge in writing online which is why I often overuse emojis, but we're allowed to be serious. Someone corrected a thing I said on Twitter (I'd purposely left out what she said, trying to be subtle), and finished with "thanx bai" and that dismissal irritated me no end.

I find all the names hilarious, though so many of them makes posts a little harder to read.

Questions don't upset people, though tbh I'm less interested in ship and sexuality discussion so I scroll past a lot of it and give a shorter answer. Arguments can happen without needing to stop talking. I get the feeling, though, I rarely add a controversial opinion cos then my anxiety tends to rise until I see what the response is like, f-ing life-ruining bastard (I hope soon that being an adult will indeed be an improvement on being younger, it's been a f-ing mess far too often. I identified with what someone said about Phil having had a smoother time in life by seeming calmer about everything, though again we don't see everything so who really knows).

Also, while I can still edit, thanks to everyone for your thoughts on misogyny and homophobia, that was very interesting. It reminded me of the band Take That. These days their fanbase is mostly the women who once were teens, I can see Deps taking their fanbase with them like that too and leaving younger new performers (YouTubers, whichever) to gain new young fans. To an extent that's already happening.
Last edited by flarequake on Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lurker
janice from the shop
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:36 pm
Thanks for sharing those goingbackto505. Speaking of Phil liking/sharing things on social media, has everyone seen the multi panel art Phil reblogged on Tumblr last night?

[Tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/Sxg ... 4803569230" data-did="86de70d4dae519ead2c375c5ad9cebfeb76f5e6a">[/Tumblr]

I love it, and that it's not specific to the most recent video of theirs (just Dan's "chicken!" incident.) It is a very Dan thing, and something I could see actually happening so to see Phil sharing it makes me very :garbage:

(Boo, why does that embedding not work? Help, please!)
if i'm not missing something, that's how it'd be done, but it doesn't seem to work at the moment. (check the faq for a more in-depth (aha) explanation.)

hi everyone, hope you're doing well. i couldn't watch the last five videos, the gaming stream, and what was apparently the liveshow of the year, but i'm looking forward to catching up. it's funny to lurk on here when i'm not up to date with the content the speculation is based on, so i'm just sitting here sipping my tea like "uh-hm, all abord the moving train, apparently, interesting. but what's phil's dick doing here?" from tumblr i mostly got that they did weird stuff with their hands again (and that phil liked that meme of him checking out dan, what the actual fuck). but the content i missed seems to have been A Good so yup, *dan voice* looking forward to that.
thank's you were great
leaveimreading
drama llama

I really loved reading all the question related posts. I was actually expecting a lot of people to say they prefer Dan over Phil ngl, because we do seem to discuss Dan a lot more. But I suppose in a way, he gives us more to discuss than Phil does, in terms of sharing details of his personal life.
blackdenim
procrastinator

I really enjoyed your questions gohomohowell and thought the names were funny! But we're all entitled to our own opinions which is what makes this forum such a diverse and great place.

Continuing the questions theme (if you don't mind me taking up the mantle until we get some #content) I have a few of my own I've been pondering...

1.) How did everyone here find/get into D&P? I've been on YT since its conception so found Phil through the old front page in 2007ish and Dan from Phil a couple of years later, so I can't remember a time when I was on YT and didn't watch D&P. So I'm always interested in how others found them...

2.) For those who are dead certain they're not together, what would make you believe? And to flip it for those (the majority here, I imagine) who are sure they're a couple, what would change your mind?

3.) How do you feel about their sporadic uploads and why do you think they can't/won't stick to a schedule when so many other YTers manage it? They proved with Gaming-mas that they can do regular uploads so I'm wondering why you think they don't apply that work ethic more often!

(It's going to be super embarassing now if no one answers these!)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

lurker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm
Thanks for sharing those goingbackto505. Speaking of Phil liking/sharing things on social media, has everyone seen the multi panel art Phil reblogged on Tumblr last night?

[Tumblr] <div class="tumblr-post" data-href="https://embed.tumblr.com/embed/post/Sxg ... 4803569230" data-did="86de70d4dae519ead2c375c5ad9cebfeb76f5e6a">[/Tumblr]

I love it, and that it's not specific to the most recent video of theirs (just Dan's "chicken!" incident.) It is a very Dan thing, and something I could see actually happening so to see Phil sharing it makes me very :garbage:

if i'm not missing something, that's how it'd be done, but it doesn't seem to work at the moment. (check the faq for a more in-depth (aha) explanation.)
You need to take out the space after "[Tumblr]" unlike stated in the FAQ.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

get your final thread name suggestions in, amigos! 8-)
twix
butt chair

blackdenim wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm 3.) How do you feel about their sporadic uploads and why do you think they can't/won't stick to a schedule when so many other YTers manage it? They proved with Gaming-mas that they can do regular uploads so I'm wondering why you think they don't apply that work ethic more often!
I recently had a conversation with a friend who hates the netflix model of television where the entire season of a series is released all at once and then if you don't want to be spoiled you're forced to immediately binge watch; she would prefer weekly 'batches' of three to five episodes. My friend said that one of the things she enjoys most about television is processing, discussing, and anticipating new episodes the show with other fans, and with the netflix model that sort of interaction is truncated and she feels that she actually appreciates the shows less for it. My guess, especially after watching the Edinburgh interview, is that deppy share my friend's predilections to some extent and have decided to capitalize on those audience desires. like you said, it's obviously a choice. personally, i would like more regular content (weekly uploads on main channels and a weekly gaming video) and there's really no excuse for how long it took to finish Undertale.
lurker
janice from the shop

somethingsketchy wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:36 pm
lurker wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:25 pm

You need to take out the space after "[Tumblr]" unlike stated in the FAQ.
ohh good to know thanks!
thank's you were great
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

blackdenim wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm I really enjoyed your questions gohomohowell and thought the names were funny! But we're all entitled to our own opinions which is what makes this forum such a diverse and great place.

Continuing the questions theme (if you don't mind me taking up the mantle until we get some #content) I have a few of my own I've been pondering...

1.) How did everyone here find/get into D&P? I've been on YT since its conception so found Phil through the old front page in 2007ish and Dan from Phil a couple of years later, so I can't remember a time when I was on YT and didn't watch D&P. So I'm always interested in how others found them...

2.) For those who are dead certain they're not together, what would make you believe? And to flip it for those (the majority here, I imagine) who are sure they're a couple, what would change your mind?

3.) How do you feel about their sporadic uploads and why do you think they can't/won't stick to a schedule when so many other YTers manage it? They proved with Gaming-mas that they can do regular uploads so I'm wondering why you think they don't apply that work ethic more often!

I'll answer them! (you posted these at the exact moment I have nothing better to do so... bless)

1) Believe it or not, through Smosh. Maybe random, maybe not. They uploaded "Every Smosh Ever" back in 2015, and I got extremely curious about those two white british boys I've never seen before. I did see the username 'danisnotonfire' in my recommended here and there, but never got interested enough to click. So I was like ok, Dan guy, I'll watch a video. And then I watched 10. An then I saw Phil in his makeup challenge video so I went to this channel. And then discovered DAPgames, and it all went downhill from then.

2)The ONLY way I would change my mind is if I explicitly see them with someone else, in an romantic way. I don't know how the majority will take this but I'm pretty convinced.

3)If I didn't have biased, rose-tinted vision towards the both of them, I would say they're pretty lazy and should stick to a schedule. But I mean, they do it all themselves, don't they? The writing, the acting, the editing... that's gotta take a lot of work. Maybe the difference with Gamingmas is because those are just sit, play, bant, edit, upload and repeat.?

(but they're still really lazy and I say this with the utmost love)
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
archived
drama llama

goingbackto505 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm maybe some kind of 'suggestions' thread? like, 'what type of videos would you want to see from Dan and Phil', both on the DAPG and on their separate channels. just in case they somehow end up reading it (honestly, I'd much prefer if they didn't for the most part, but at the same time.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ) some actual reasonable and constructive feedback wouldn't hurt them from time to time, they rarely get it in their comment sections from what I've seen :roll:
Yeah, that would be quite good. They almost seem stuck on what games to play? Idk but they always play similar games maybe because they don't know what games will go down well. Also it has happened before where I suggested on a GG thread what videos I would like to see from a youtuber and in there next video they actually took on my suggestion which was nice to see them listening to their fans.

relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I understand her point a bit better now flarequake but it's just not very nice to be told that something you said in good humor is cringey. It just seems unnecessary and put me down a bit when I was happy about all of the responses; wouldn't it make you feel silly if someone told you your little joke made them cringe? I don't know, I'm willing to let it go anyways.

And in regards to telling people to be honest and all that, maybe I was on a bit of a power trip? You know, like holding a competition or something. But I'm really sorry if that was rude and I hope we can just move on.
blackdenim wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm I really enjoyed your questions gohomohowell and thought the names were funny! But we're all entitled to our own opinions which is what makes this forum such a diverse and great place.

I love these!! It also gives me an opportunity to answer some myself about deppy :garbage:

1) Hmm, I remember my older sister watching them when I was younger. I think I saw her watching the just-released pinof 3 or something like that. A year later, just as I started Year 7, I ended up getting into it myself as I saw them on the home screen (recommended, I think) and recognized them! Since then, I've been very on and off with being a demon phannie or a very casual viewer.

2) Umm, I'll need pretty strong proof to be sure they're not a couple. I guess either of them being in a relationship/courting someone else as I don't think they'd have beards after coming this far.

3. I think they're a bit lazy at times - maybe moreso Dan than Phil. But then again, Dan has issues with depression and perfectionism that I can't fault him for so those are valid excuses. Plus, they've been a lot better recently with uploading twice or more a week so we're not exactly starved for content. But I guess they'll put more content out once people begin to lose interest and the phandom don't let them off the hook so much.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Ooh, more questions.

1. I first found Dan in 2012 via his collabs with Jacksgap (I mostly watched them and Bertie Gilbert back in his vlogging days; I'd found him via the Harry Potter movie and the kid actors' Twitters). I watched a few of his videos along with some by Zoe and Joe, Louis Cole and others, I just remember that British crowd. I loved Dan's humour and it's still some of the funniest content for me. I didn't keep watching, though, and in 2015 looked him up one weekend when I had a cold and needed a laugh. I watched a few videos, basked in the brilliant humour I remembered, and then watched some of Phil's videos. It was one of his "things I thought were true that are not true" videos when I suddenly thought "oh, I see, he's putting on a cute act. He seems a lovely friendly guy behind that too" and I fell like a stone. Switched back to Dan videos and saw how sweet he probably was behind the sarcasm, so the soft spot in my heart took them both. It hadn't done that in a long time so I was quite surprised. My dad had recently died and I was feeling more lonely than sad, I needed something I guess. If it hadn't been for that I probably wouldn't have become such a fan.

2. At this point I think it would need them confirming it isn't real, it just seems too plausible.

3. I know what pressure does to my creative output - kills it on sight. So I don't judge. Also I have other things to do before I die so I go and do one of those, or just read Tumblr, Twitter and IDB, and stress about how slowly I'm getting things done :roll: I watch Gary C who's never had a schedule so take it or leave it, Jon Cozart who uploads once in a blue moon... Most of my subs are split between once a week and "surprise me", and they do. Some were very regular and then lose their mojo. Whether it's laziness, too much pressure from outside or from themselves, or that they're actually doing something longer-term that we don't know about yet, it's up to them. Gamingmas was every day and I don't envy daily vloggers at all. Others I watch who did Veda in April now can't do it again in August. I'd rather they had the sleep.

Edit - I see your point too gohomohowell, it's all different opinions and feelings sometimes.
Last edited by flarequake on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdie
blobfish

blackdenim wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 pm 1.) How did everyone here find/get into D&P? I've been on YT since its conception so found Phil through the old front page in 2007ish and Dan from Phil a couple of years later, so I can't remember a time when I was on YT and didn't watch D&P. So I'm always interested in how others found them...
I was sent a link to one of Dan's videos in late 2012 or early 2013, I really don't remember. I wasn't into Youtube at all but something about Dan made me watch all his videos and then of course I found out about Phil and the Super Amazing Project and I watched all of that too over the course of a few weeks and then I just stuck with them. I can't for the life of me tell you why because I rarely stick with Youtubers. The only other Youtuber I've stuck with for equally as long is an obscure Austrian Youtuber who I don't always understand but love anyways. :D
Solid proof. Them saying they're together, basically. Or acting couply for real. If someone caught them kissing, which I hope will never ever happen, I'd believe it. Like, basically a real confirmation and not just interpretation.
I used to be super annoyed with the sporadic uploads because I remember a time when they'd both upload once a week or at least twice a month. Good times, I tell you. I don't care anymore now though, I've gotten used to it. I do wish they'd make more main channel videos but as long as they keep uploading to the gaming channel and providing a new main channel vic once in a blue moon I'm okay with it.

Why they don't upload more often even though others do... good question. I have seriously no idea. You could argue their videos take more time to make than your usual vlog but I don't believe it. Zoella often films her whole day and then has to edit it to turn it into an entertaining vlog (wait, does she have someone else to edit her videos? I don't know) and even though I don't know much about video making, I'm pretty sure that takes her longer than filming ISG or your usual Danecdote with some sketches edited in. I'm not saying Dan or Phil's videos don't take effort to make but I just don't think they take more effort than the videos of Youtubers who upload more often. So I have no idea. Maybe Dan's really in a creative slump like he says. (Even though as a fellow creative person this always sounds like such an excuse to me.) Maybe they put it off. Maybe there's some super secret reason. I don't know but I wish they'd acknowledge it properly. (Maybe they have in a liveshow already, I don't watch all of those!)
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I love these questions thank you blackdenim & gohomohowell!

1. I'm on the newer side compared to what I've seen people saying here, since I first started watching them in January 2015, though they kept popping up in my suggested videos for a few months before that. (Actually the first time I heard about Dan was from a camp counselor who was wearing one of the "I'm a Danosaur rawr" shirts in June 2014 and told me it was about a Youtube channel called danisnotonfire, but I didn't think back to that name until Youtube started suggesting his videos).

2. I'm on team dead certain they're together, though I still have flashes of doubt every now and then. Personally, there's no doubt in my mind they were together in 2009/2010, the only question for me is if they're together now, so something that would make me change my mind would be them announcing relationships with other people. Moving out into separate apartment might also cast too much to be ignored.

3. I've stopped viewing the channels as separate, and instead I just think of it as one big "Dan and Phil" network which uploads every few days. Between all of their channels + liveshows I'm happy with the amount they upload. I think it's the perfectionist attitude that stops them from uploading on an exact schedule. Gamingmas probably wasn't something they could've kept going for long enough, and I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to edit a video but I can imagine it's hours.
mm_sunny1993
spork

Long-time lurker finally saying something...Hello! :D

I watched Phil's videos in 2008/09 but kind of lost interest in youtube in general after that time. I stopped watching before Dan showed up so i never really watched his videos back then. Over the years i always saw them all over tumblr but i thought that i wouldn't enjoy their 'comedy videos'. I found them again when their moving out video was uploaded and found them interesting and funny so i started watching more videos and im lost since then. Ha

i believe that they are together but to be honest at this point it would change my mind simply when they told us that they aren't together or that they are single. The last time they actually said something about it was 2012 and it was under extrem circumstances...but nowadays i and i think many other people would just believe them if they told us they aren't together (without jokes or sarcasm of course)

i don't like their upload schedule. I wish they would upload more or at least have specific dates where they upload specific videos. I think they basically dont have enough video ideas for their main chanels to upload every week. In general i think that they just have lifes that are more busy than they show. Im sure they have a lot of different stuff to care about outside of filming videos which is why they may not have time to upload more frequently.

(Wow i really can't use english today, I'm sorry)